More Than Surviving April

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 29, 2018

Cueto is incredible. He throws 40 pitches in the first two innings but still niggles out the win. And his ERA is still well below 1.

Fun fact I read from Baggs this morning: Panda is one of two major leaguers to ever hit 3 world series home runs AND throw a pitch in a game. The other: Babe Ruth.

This DJ Snelton fella has got a lot going on. Looks like he’s injuring himself multiple times per pitch.

Panik gone for 6 weeks. We can survive that. It’s a nice opportunity for Specs or even this Hanson kid.

For everyone panicking about the *brutal* schedule to start the year: We are guaranteed of at least splitting vs LA. Win tonight and we go 6-4. Hovering around .500, we are in great shape as we await Bum’s return.

Here’s a pic of San Dawg continuing his attempt to circle the globe and meet every living Flapper. He met up with Mr SportsDude last night. I think Rooster said he wanted to go to but he’s disappeared lately. Could be that 4-5 April record that’s discouraging him. Either that or another long ass dinner keeping him away…..

Screenshot 2018-04-29 at 7.36.53 AM

1. zumiee said, on April 29, 2018 at 5:28 pm

“Blach this season has allowed three runs in 17 innings against the Dodgers. In his career Blach has faced the Dodgers 10 times, including seven starts, and has a 2.03 ERA against them. Versus all other teams he has a 5.14 ERA in 164⅔ innings.”

2. willedav said, on April 29, 2018 at 5:40 pm

Blach k’d 4 today. He’d only K’d 16 all year vs. 14 walks and has lowest K rate on team except for
    Dyson.
    But Giants OF is better defensively this year and today blanco gorks slater was fine, and IF is great plus Posey. so pitching to contact at ATT worked well and has all year for him vs. LA. Ownage, as K and K say, is ownage.

Meanwhile, Belt’s OPS is 1.034 and Longo is up to .805. Those guys stay near there and Posey and Cutch get to .800+ look out. I know Cutch is scuffling, but last year he did this too and wound up with 25 bombs and .859 OPS so I hold out hope he’ll rake soon. It is contract year for him.

3. Flavor said, on April 29, 2018 at 6:55 pm

Taxi Driver review: It was a very good movie until the last 5 minutes. If it had ended with him dead on the couch I was ready to give this movie at least 4 flaps up (out of 5 flaps). But then they show him recovered and alive and totally normal. How the fuck did he go from bat shit crazy to totally normal? Mental illness doesn’t work that way.
    Anyway, the end of the movie kinda ruined it for me. Shit I was half expecting Cybill Shepard to invite him up to her apartment to fuck. It had gotten that absurd.
    But hey, back in ’76 I could see why you guys liked that movie so much.

• djloo27 said, on April 29, 2018 at 7:10 pm

You think he’s totally normal at the end?
      I think that’s a tribute to DeNiro’s brilliant portrayal of a complete schizophrenic – which at that time was basically just thought of as multiple personalities. Might require dozens of viewings to soak it all in…

• Flavor said, on April 29, 2018 at 7:44 pm

they portrayed him as completely over the edge of sanity. It just seemed like he came back too much to the other side (sanity). He’s working, chit chatting with his bros, driving Betsy around. I just would have preferred if it had ended with him crazy and bleeding and dying on the couch. But hey, that’s me.

• zumiee said, on April 29, 2018 at 7:11 pm

Crazy people can pretend to be normal at times.

• xoot said, on April 29, 2018 at 7:36 pm

I’ve known a bunch of war vets disturbingly similar to that particularly unforgettable character

• YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on April 29, 2018 at 11:17 pm

I’m not Travis Bickle crazy about Taxi Driver, although it did leave a big impression on me at the time and captured the mood of mid-seventies NYC.
      It’s not in my top ten Scorsese movies, or even in my top five of the ones he made with DeNiro. It’ll probably drop another notch when The Irishman (co-starring Pesci and Pacino) is released next year.
      There are too many guys like that in real life today, politicians too.

4. Flavor said, on April 29, 2018 at 7:04 pm

but even with that lame ending I liked Taxi Driver better than Scarface.

5. Lurker John said, on April 29, 2018 at 7:23 pm

Now watch it five more times. Like any great movie, it gets better with repeated watchings.

• Flavor said, on April 29, 2018 at 7:45 pm

i’m sure it would. I’ve seen Let it Ride probably 75 times, i notice something new every time I watch it

6. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 29, 2018 at 8:40 pm

Loo earlier mentioned Pablo’s possible positive effect on the team. Gotta agree with that. Big upbeat personality, and plays 3rd and 1st, emergency catcher, and now even emergency reliever. That one curve ball he threw was almost Kershaw-like. Have a feeling (if he stays healthy) his role might grow as the season goes on.

• djloo27 said, on April 29, 2018 at 8:47 pm

I was pretending to be normal when I wrote that…

7. mrsprtdude said, on April 29, 2018 at 9:00 pm

It was great meeting Pete (San Dawg) last night. Sadly my dad is in the hospital so it was cut short. We talked baseball, the Flap, and watched the game with a little Dubs mixed in. Thankfully the shit game was the early game. We will do it again! A cold beer, and beating the Dodgers. Never gets old!

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 29, 2018 at 9:05 pm

Nice that you guys met up. I’ve met only Steve (Blade), many times, and John (MacDog) so far, great to meet. Will always be looking for more Flappers in the wind….

• Macdog said, on April 29, 2018 at 9:11 pm

Hey Paul, I caught a rerun last night of Anthony Bourdain’s show on his Vietnam trip. He was mainly in Hanoi and Ha Long Bay. I kept looking for you in the background. Anyway, it was a good show, with an emphasis on the great food there.

• willedav said, on April 29, 2018 at 9:16 pm

Mr. Blade make it back OK and doing well?
        I know he enlightened all of us on difficulties of Rockies and travel, must not be easy to leave altitude and climate of Colorado for Vietnam.

8. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 29, 2018 at 9:50 pm

Yeah, John, Bourdain has come to and loved coming to VN for many years now. Some of his early visits here are great to see if you can find them (No Reservations). In fact, I saw one episode 10 years or so ago where he visited countryside here in the north, undeveloped, beautiful, and it was always on my list to visit it. Finally got there last year, more developed now but stunningly beautiful. He’s one of my heroes, actually… great job he’s got… 🙂 Willie, Steve is in fact in Saigon at the moment but now that up north in Hanoi, I don’t get to see him regularly anymore…

9. zumiee said, on April 29, 2018 at 10:12 pm

Belt hasn’t been doing this lately.
    Chris Taylor leads the majors in taking called third strikes with 18.