A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

5-8-4-3

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 8, 2010

Those are the number of hits we’ve had in each of our last 4 games. That 8-hit game looks like an offensive explosion, doesn’t it? I said this before yesterday’s game, with Buster’s bat cold it seems like the rest of the team got iced down, too. Yes, we’ve faced some decent pitching lately but I think this is just more about one of those team-wide slumps EVERY team goes through several times a year. Right now there’s just no one to ride with everyone scuffling. Posey DOES look tired. I’m not sure what a day will do but it couldn’t hurt. Unfortunately he’ll be getting it on a game we really would like to win. Oh well, if he’s dragging, he’s dragging…….

Speaking of guys who need a break, Freddy Sanchez needs to sit. For a long while. He’s reminding me of what we’ve seen from Rowand the last couple of years. Bochy is waiting for him to snap out of it but there doesn’t seem to be any end in sight. And what do we get from Kruk and Kuip? Nothing but fawning over him for how he handles routine ground balls at 2nd. Just ONCE I’d like to see them break down a vet’s hitting with some honest analysis……

1. Michael said, on August 8, 2010 at 8:26 pm

The thing with Gringo is that you just knew it would never end. If they won the WS in 5 this year, he’d post they would have won in 4 with a good manager.
    What was maddening about the fuck is it’s like he’d post that so and so is the worst fucking hitter in the game and to prove it he’d say well, the guy hits .270… he’s a fucking idiot,sorry.

2. bigflavor said, on August 8, 2010 at 8:26 pm

He’s going into my spam filter now so you guys won’t totally understand this post, but…….
    Dude, I had no problem with you having an opinion, lots of people here have them. And we often disagree. But you are an instigator. You’re not here to give an opinion you’re here to try to get the same tired rise you get from some of the posters here. Last night I gave you a chance to back up your opinion with something resembling fact. You failed. At that point I labeled you an instigator without merit or purpose. Now, as I said, off to another blog/call in show you go. Your opinions are not what got you banned. Your intent to undermine the integrity of the blog is what got you banned……

3. bigflavor said, on August 8, 2010 at 8:28 pm

he’s almost more annoying coming into my spam filter, I might have to take the ban off. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. dirtnrocksnreno said, on August 8, 2010 at 8:32 pm

It has been sort of surreal reading your responses to posts that have been removed. I’m not sure I believe the guy is a fan. Or if he is he takes llittle to no joy from the game and the club he follows.

5. bigflavor said, on August 8, 2010 at 8:40 pm

they aren’t being removed, they’re just being diverted to a filter. He doesn’t seem to upset about it, he just keeps sending posts there. Bizarre. And I’ve had it with this “You ban me for having a different opinion”– fuck that, I already said it: you are an instigator without purpose or merit. THAT is the reason you got banned…….

6. dirtnrocksnreno said, on August 8, 2010 at 8:45 pm

This place is all about different opinions. It is not about…eh, fuck it. Who cares. The topic is stale and just another thing to steal Flav’s enthusiasm for The Flap.

7. Michael said, on August 8, 2010 at 8:52 pm

The whole Richmond team has started hitting, BTW. Neal has been coming strong for over a month now, Ford and Noonan are starting to hit finally, Gillaspie and Schoop as well. Not sure on Kieschnick’s staus. Is he hurt? Anybody know? He must be, hasn’t played in weeks.
    Not sure on the call up rules, based only on performance I’d think we’ll see Belt, Neal, Burriss, Rohlinger, Edlefson, Downs, Guzman (PH), maybe Hacker. Pill and Borchard are bubble boys.

8. bigflavor said, on August 8, 2010 at 8:57 pm

well, you’d think he’d at least check the comments to see if anyone is responding to his posts, right? He just keeps firing off posts into my spam filter. Maybe he’s a fucking Bot and the joke is on all of us…….

9. bigflavor said, on August 8, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Chris, I sent you an email to your PG email account, read it and decide what you want to do…….

10. Michael said, on August 8, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Well, don’t take the filter off. I’ll pay you to keep him out. Like others have noted, it’s not his opinions, it’s his , uh, demeanor. Fucks like him like to believe they are fearless, iconoclastic, gutsy dudes taking a big unpopular stand, bucking the blogstablishment, men with vision and courage.. no, pal: you are just another moron…
    speaking of which, I’m not even looking at the Splash these days. Even the “real” fans are fucking idiots now.

11. Nipper said, on August 8, 2010 at 9:09 pm

I’m looking forward to this week. The Giants should eat the Cubbies up and fatten up. Playing at home will be much more pleasant. Posters seem to get down after an unpleasant road trip and Atlanta is one tough team to play there. It’s no disgrace to come up short in Atlanta with their pitching.

12. bigflavor said, on August 8, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Nip, I really think it was the weather, more than anything else. Hudson was deadly, but the other guys didn’t do anything too crazy. Lowe was average, in fact. This team is just tired, it happens. The heat was the last thing those old bones needed. As soon as the hit the field tomorrow, the fog will roll in and wake them right up……..

13. Michael said, on August 8, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Just for the hell of it, took a look at Bochy’s last playoff team: 2006 Pads. Dave Roberts, Cameron, Giles were the OF. Gonzales, Josh Barfield, Greene, Vinnie Castila ( end of career) infield. Piazza catcher. Three guys had 82/83 RBI. Top winner on the staff was Woody Williams with 12. Peavey was the “ace”, went 11-14. Definitely a less than dominant group, his pen won it for him. He lost the job undoubtedly due to get getting beat by the Cards in the league division series. Even though St. Louis was awful, they did win the WS, as we know. That year did in Macha as well, if I recall. Two bad teams went to the WS and some ownerships didn’t take that well, felt their guys should have been there.

14. TedSpe said, on August 8, 2010 at 9:25 pm

(with apologies to whoever wrote dis song but think Sinatra when;s you read it)
    Sabean’s Motto:

When someone’s a Giant
    It’s no good unless you’re a Giant…
    Aaaaall the way
    Happy we got good starters
    Cuz we give them chicks with garters
    Cuuuhmm what may
    Who knoooows where the road may lead us
    3 out of 6 we’ll take
    Some are thinkin’
    That Sabean will bleed us
    Only true…
    If you Splash as a rule…

But when some club is near you
    That’s San Diego that is near you
    Aaaall the way
    We’ll pluck them in their rear ends
    No one can see when fears ends
    Cuuuuhm what may

We knooow… where the seeeesaon’s going
    Cuz Posey is here to stay
    So let Bochy make his mind end
    It’s no goood lest he makes his mind end…

So if you luv the Giants, it’s no good ‘lest you luv the Giants
    Aaaaaall the way
    ALLLLLLL THE WAAAAAAAY!!!!

• delmardennis said, on August 8, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Ted, you did Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen proud. All the Way won the best song Oscar in “The Joker is Wild” btw…Now, please get on the horn to Sabean and tell him we need another bench player toot suite. Or I’m going All the Way over my ledge if we continue to carry 13 pitchers.

• TedSpe said, on August 8, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Thanks dennis. Seriously.
        But I think Guillien’s on the agenda. So stay away from the ledge. That being said…I fucking *LOVE* 13 pitchers. Hell, wish the Giants had *14*!!

15. TedSpe said, on August 8, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Excellent POTD. Good job, twin. I fucking TOLD gringo to look Bochy up on the internet. Big Head Bochy’s got more then enough success and respect from MLB peers.
    Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

16. Michael said, on August 8, 2010 at 9:48 pm

This is Bochy’s best team, as presently configured. No excuse this year, they aren’t the upstarts, they are now the team to beat. Criticism of his managing would be totally valid if they don’t take it. With the lead they have on LA and Colorado, and that it’s the Pads to catch: they absolutely SHOULD win.

17. delmardennis said, on August 8, 2010 at 10:00 pm

What’s up with Velez? I think he’s eligible to come off the DL tomorrow. I don’t even know if he’s been working out, but if he’s ready…I say he’ll be activated with one of our pen guys going on the DL after the flight attendant “accidentally” spilled coffee on their lap on the charter home from Atlanta. I seem to recall Wellemeyer likes his extra hot.

18. San Dog said, on August 8, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Just got back from a stroll to the local watering hole with a teacher buddy of mine. The joint serves food (cooked by the bartender and his Missuz–donations only) on Sunday nights. A 24 oz can of Pabst, a 16 oz. can of Primo (yes, Primo), a 12 oz. bottle of High Life, a large shot of something called “Powers,” 2 pulled pork sandwiches, and a small mountain of homemade potato salad and all is well with the world.
    I’ve got 2 days of vacation left before its back to work. I’m gonna go pour myself some Lucky Charms and watch “Lakeview Terrace.” G’night all.

Dennis: can I have your blessing to take Flavor’s spot in the FF league? Better yet, is there room for both of us?

• delmardennis said, on August 8, 2010 at 10:26 pm

That’d be great, Dog. League’s currently at 8, I’d like to cap it at 10. Flav has my E-Mail. Let me know. You won’t have to worry about finishing last, Chuck already has that sewn up.

19. Michael said, on August 8, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I’d guess that Velez will be activated. I’d also think that with only Romo having options, Giants have intended to include 1 of the unholy 13 in a trade for Guillen. Can’t trade a guy if he’s not yours anymore.

20. willied said, on August 8, 2010 at 10:38 pm

I still don’t get the grief given to Bochy over lack of small ball. Half the time he actually tries it, it blows up. Witness Nate getting thrown out stealing, Panda unable to make it to third on the bunt, and today. I couldn’t believe Kuiper actually talked about H-R with FS on first and Whitey up–neither one can hit or run, and of course Whitey ends up with a GIDP, the very thing Bochy tried to stay out of. The team just isn’t built for it, is why it doesn’t happen more often.

I used to tell the parents of the b-ball teams, I can draw up anything on my little board, but the kids are the ones to make it work. They’re the ones making the plays, not me. Same with Bochy here, imo.

21. zumarust said, on August 8, 2010 at 11:23 pm

The thing that is the bad thing on any of these blogs is grating repetition. Soph, at the Splash, is horrible, but even more horrible because of the repetition. If someone has a criticism, make the criticism and then MOVE ON to other things, or come back to the old thing in a new creative way. This is why TF is so good at this stuff. I see people all the time talk about him never criticizing the Giants. Say what? The dude shares his criticisms of the Giants; he just doesn’t keep repeating the same criticism over and over. He moves on with the unfolding events. This is why a certain someone, God bless him, is annoying now with the 13th pitcher thing. It’s not fun reading ‘pound it, pound it, pound it.’ Ah- I just had a Damon Bruce flashback. I can’t get that KNBR FM station in my area. I don’t hear Damon Bruce anymore. Ah, shucks.

22. Michael said, on August 8, 2010 at 11:40 pm

The dude abides ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Z, that’s been my point about the LU bashing. And the guys here aren’t the dumbalos that the Splash crowd can be- they can figger this shit out. Bochy’s line ups actually do have a reason to them, and it’s not that goddamn hard to see the pattern. Actually, starting Travis today with Rowand’s career numbers against Lowe was one of the few curves he’s thrown us. Dennis nailed it and I’m extrremely suspicious, I’ll guess Bochy said something last night and I missed it. Love Dennis but no way he knew T was starting unless it was leaked ๐Ÿ˜‰ But I digress: Bochy’s line ups make total sense if you understand that except for Nate and Eli, all the players need regular starts, he does not have 8 guys who are clearly the 8 starters and 4 or 5 who are clearly reserves. He has 10 and 2 ( or 3 when Velez is back).

23. Nipper said, on August 8, 2010 at 11:56 pm