A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

A Crushing Loss that Didn’t Feel So Crushing

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 1, 2011

Can you imagine if a guy like Carlos Zambrano was on out pitching staff? His head might literally explode after a while of pitching with this offense behind him. Guys like that don’t fit on this team. I believe that our starting 5 thrive off the badge of honor they wear out to the mound every time one of them takes the hill. They’re probably almost embarrassed if they get more than 2 runs scored for them. I fully believe that they are all better pitchers because they accept the inevitable, that this offense is never going to get them a lot of runs on a consistent basis. And I bet they would each be a worse pitcher if they pitched for another team…….

I didn’t see the game, so it didn’t crush me like the rest of you. There’s something about looking at a box score that doesn’t sting as much as watching the horror unfold with your eyes.  I think it’s time for Rowand get some starts against righties. Either that or let Torres bat against some lefties. Andres is lost right now and trotting him out there at bat after at bat isn’t working. He is the gas that fuels this bus. Without him producing, that Badge of Honor our Starting 5 wear is only going to get bigger and shinier. And probably more meaningful to each of them……..

1. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 1, 2011 at 7:24 am

I’m still crushed from yesterday’s devastating loss. I don’t even want to relive any of the specifics. As soon as Soto’s ball left the yard, I turned off everything Giants. No postgame. No highlights. No KNBR. No nothing. It’s games like that that keep my doctors in business. I’m still pissed. And I don’t want to be cheered up. So do me a favor. If have anything cheery or uplifting to say — keep it to yourself. I only want to hear about death, new taxes and your in-laws coming over for the Fourth of July.

• Bozo said, on July 1, 2011 at 8:04 am

Well DMD, your post made me laugh so fuck you and fuck the Cubs too, time to go Tiger hunting.

• Nipper said, on July 1, 2011 at 8:14 am

BOO HOO!

• eddacker said, on July 1, 2011 at 1:36 pm

what he said, and, hand made is always slower than any other way.

2. Kevin said, on July 1, 2011 at 8:07 am

Here Dennis I will make you even less happy. A. Smith the 49ers starting QB for the 2011/2012 season. He will take this team to the SB!!

3. unca_chuck said, on July 1, 2011 at 8:12 am

That’s just mean Kevin. Funny, yes, but mean . . .

• Kevin said, on July 1, 2011 at 8:27 am

I am just trying to give him a little shove closer to the edge. not that he needs it or anything

4. snarkk said, on July 1, 2011 at 8:29 am

I’ve been back here in the DC area for about a week. Monitoring the Gmen’s exploits only sparingly.
    Barely any humidity back here, very unusual.
    Barely any scoring by the Giants. And, still winning. Very usual, and that’s cool….

5. Giant Head said, on July 1, 2011 at 8:34 am

What a pisser of a game…I was having a nice round of golf yesterday, first time out in a few weeks, on a rare beautiful (i.e. no humidity) summer day in DC and got in the car in the bottom of the 8th to listen to the start of the heartbreak. Made it home by the 10th and then the Junk hit!!!

I am sure it was hashed out here well enough yesterday…anyway shot a 46 on the back 9 yesterday and should have been 3-4 strokes less, so making progress!

6. unca_chuck said, on July 1, 2011 at 8:58 am

If the current trend comes to pass, the Cubs will immediately go into a tailspin. Oakland hit the skids

The Giants will be fine . . .

7. unca_chuck said, on July 1, 2011 at 8:59 am

And Minn did as well . . .

8. twinfan1 said, on July 1, 2011 at 10:02 am

Actually, you do have to trot Andres out there given that Rowand is the alternative.Certainly Aaron should start against lefties but that’s it. It’s Andres or make a trade…
    WTF!!!?? A ball just hit my skylight!! Jesus, Cody’s throw…

• ewisco said, on July 1, 2011 at 10:27 am

Nice one!

9. TedSpe said, on July 1, 2011 at 10:05 am

Great POTG picture. Nothing like Greek a analogy to go with my morning coffee.
    I didn’t watch the game either but watching an online box-score of a close game, a tit-for-tat game if you will, go on to 13 innings and end with a 3 run Cubby dinger still pissed me off. Not Del Mar Sissy Spacek in ‘NIGHT, MOTHER Dennis level but pissed nonetheless.

• eddacker said, on July 1, 2011 at 1:39 pm

apparently, coffee your to go with, eh?

10. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 1, 2011 at 10:14 am

And I’m pissed about another thing…I wish Bochy would start Vogelsong on short rest instead of Zito. Barry is such a pussy with his routine and long-toss BS. Last thing he needs is to have his schedule fucked with. Vogelsong pitched the 1st Gm of the DH. Saturday is a night game. He’d be getting like 3 1/2 days of rest. I’d rather see him go Saturday. But as usual, my vote means squadoosh.

• Kevin said, on July 1, 2011 at 10:31 am

Well I do agree with you on this one Dennis, I don’t want to see Bochy go all gaga (lady) over Zithead. But Bochy loves his vets, so you should just bite the bullet and be prepared for Zito.

11. ewisco said, on July 1, 2011 at 10:33 am

Last night was frustrating but if you’re going to follow THIS team, you need to learn to grin and bear it. or you can join the long line at the bridge. it will be interesting to see what, if anything, sabean does in the next few weeks. I’m not a betting man but I would say that the odds are whatever happens won’t be what anyone predicted.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 1, 2011 at 10:45 am

Hunter Pence? His numbers at AT@T are damn near identical to what he hits at the OJ Park.

• twinfan1 said, on July 1, 2011 at 11:44 am

They need a catcher and/or middle infielder a hellva lot more than an outfielder.

12. twinfan1 said, on July 1, 2011 at 10:40 am

Maybe you should talk to Soph, Denny. She said Bochy took her advice the other day..”Last thing he needs is to have his schedule fucked with”.. if anybody should get fucked up it’s Zitboy..
    Something to pay attention to, from Henry: to get a “big bat”, first prerequisite is a team willing to trade one..

13. eddacker said, on July 1, 2011 at 12:16 pm

gotta give my slant on that BF
    1) I believe that our starting 5 thrive off the badge of honor they wear out to the mound every time one of them takes the hill.
    – I gotta believe that could be true, but each month after grueling month, WS win aside, it wears on them. They are true studs and players, but one time, just one time, let the rest of the team carry them.
    2) And I bet they would each be a worse pitcher if they pitched for another team…….
    – I hope you mean another team that wears the orange and black. Because that makes no sense at all. They may all go 17 and 0 with a team scoring runs, but they never want that team to not be our SF Giants.
    3) And probably more meaningful to each of them……..
    not when they get losses and no decisions for 7 innings of 2 hit ball. Late inning heroics, the bullpen, some offence? Then they wear that winning way. And then they will shine with SF Giants pride.

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on July 1, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Our starting rotation are the only guys who will *NeveR* win a weather balloon with points — ‘cuz …. well, by definition you need *points* to win those meteorological marvels and our guys can’t get any!

• TedSpe said, on July 1, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Ed, two things that give me pause here is you seem to be saying, and maybe I’m misreading, if the Giants scored more runs, carried the team so to speak, that they’d pitch differently? Or are you saying the Giants need to score more runs because the pitchers will inevitably be giving up more runs as the season goes deeper due to wear? Or am I completely off target and am just sitting here with a thumb up my ass (preferably not Roger Ebert’s)?

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on July 1, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Is it Friday night already?
        ______________________________
        “and am just sitting here with a thumb up my ass (preferably not Roger Ebert’s)?”

• eddacker said, on July 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm

nope, I am just the dope in the back row. I say that season in and season out after a while it grates on anyone.
        To think these studs can carry on for ever, which they have and for which they have a WS win is a bit understat_edd.
        Eventually the team needs a little of both sides to keep the balloon inflat_edd.
        Given how good they are
        Maybe I am wrong
        Given how long this relationship has gone on. ?

• eddacker said, on July 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm

or is this just business as usual? ride this until it breaks, and who cares?

14. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on July 1, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I was a little pissed, too, when I read about Saturday’s SP plans (thinking it would be Vogie). But having seen the strange and true effects given to what is known as “Zito’s Law”, I realize now that these curious conditions (short rest, rotation change, Barry’ rehab, etc…) will have only two possible outcomes, each one equally likely as the other — perhaps the latter even more than the former:

1. Barry won’t get out of the first inning, mired in a flaming heap of walks, HBP, and E2-9
    2. He pitches a “Perfect Game”.

I am now at peace with my inner baseball world.

• eddacker said, on July 1, 2011 at 12:24 pm

and then vogiy comes in as the relief pitcher. bochy’s own 2 starters for one shakedown.

• That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on July 1, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Actually, given that it’s gonna be a really strange day, one is more likely to see Bochy sub in A*** S**** as the long reliever.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 1, 2011 at 1:05 pm

A*** S****’s first pitch as a long reliever. I must admit, he’s better looking than I remember…

15. eddacker said, on July 1, 2011 at 12:22 pm

On another note, I look forward to a slashing of the penny, a pounding if you must. He has had moments of brilliance this year, even making hardcore fans wonder why he is not backing us up.

16. eddacker said, on July 1, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Tonight I am too tired to wait for the start of the game. Maybe after a bath and sucking on my wife’s teat like a baby, giving nothing back, I can catch the final innings of this wind up to the break. I, for one, think these next ten games are important. And blockhead’s return after the heady days of managing the AS team, may the NL win.
    Then, this WS champion team, can show the heart we all know they possess.

17. eddacker said, on July 1, 2011 at 12:44 pm

oh, and Giants are the free game on MLB tv, no blackout home boyx

18. Flavor said, on July 1, 2011 at 12:58 pm

new contest is up and we are on the clock so refresh the site and enter ASAP

19. unca_chuck said, on July 1, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Dennis, I’ve only seen Bochy really pissed off about 3 times. One was the debacle Sanchez pulled in Washington, another was Sanchez’s last outing vs Cleve, and the other was Bubbles 3 inning stint vs SD last year.

20. eddacker said, on July 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Dennis? Surely you can show a video of a bus load of Giants fans pulling up to Tigers Stadium and Tom Selleck giving out autographs?