A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

One More Day….

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 13, 2011

This break is interminable…..

It was great to see so many Giants taking up spots in the dugout. Seeing Bochy running that show of all stars really hit home for me that we are the center of the baseball world this year. And for once, our players actually performed well and contributed. Pablo hit an impossible pitch for a double and Bee-Wheezy stepped back on to the national stage without breaking stride. Bochy outmanaged  Washington (again) and the final score really wasn’t as close as it looked…

I missed probably about a third of the game and unfortunately I missed Wilson’s line up read as well as Heath Bell’s slide into the game. Both sounded classic. After Wilson’s comments about Beltran in the LU Read I think the writing is on the wall: Beltran is going to be a Giant……

1. Kevin said, on July 13, 2011 at 8:48 am

At the end of the game watching Bochy shake hands with the players, he looked happy. Looked like HE had fun. And that is the way the AS game should be, it should be fun!

2. willieD said, on July 13, 2011 at 9:02 am

beltran would be nice middle order bat and had good things to say about SF team and its fans, but we already have a glut of OFs. Would this mean platoon time for Torres, or does he become expendable?
    Doesn’t solve problem of a decent back up/alternative for Huff ( I don’t like sando’s D over there), or C. I realize beltran is to be the offensive threat Huff hasn’t been, but really he is just replacing rowand or another of the slumping OF guys. Nice move, but you still have other areas of concern. Remember too, Font was hitting .207 before he hit the DL, so he’s not likely to be an offensive savior at 2b or SS.
    Looking forward to takin on the pesky pads again…SF owes these guys a few. My godson is down there and wants to take me to a game. Tho he grew up a Giants fan here in south bay (will clark was his first hero), he is now confirmed pads guy, with gear to prove it.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 13, 2011 at 9:13 am

Would it mean platoon time for Torres? He’s already been in platoon mode for the past month or so with Rowand. His days of starting vs the lefty are long gone. Beltran’s a nice start to the postseason puzzle, but this club still needs another piece or two.

3. DJLoo said, on July 13, 2011 at 9:18 am

I have a feeling the Dodgers are gonna make a run at us. If you know anything about Giant-Dodger history it shouldn’t surprise you.

4. zumie said, on July 13, 2011 at 9:32 am

Make the deal for Beltran. Release Burrell. The Giants need to hang onto Torres. Ultimately, he’s the lead-off hitter, and they have to hope he can get it going consistently. The platoon with Rowand, for now, is OK.
    Torres/Rowand- cf
    Font/Tejada- 2b
    Panda- 3b
    Beltran- lf
    Ross/Nate- rf
    Huff- 1b
    Johnny Upgrade- c
    Crawford/Tejada- ss
    P

• Kevin said, on July 13, 2011 at 9:38 am

Who the hell is Johnny Upgrade? Dennis isn’t he also the starting QB for the Niners??

5. Flavor said, on July 13, 2011 at 9:43 am

Loo– I don’t see the Dodgers doing anything. I don’t even know if the CAN do anything under their current situation. Is MLB still running them or not? Can they add payroll? I don’t know what their situation is.

6. SanDawg said, on July 13, 2011 at 9:52 am

I thought Bell’s slide was absolutely hilarious and was the epitome of the “have some fun out there” attitude Flav mentioned. I loved how he didn’t smile at all and went straight to business, giving Molina a jab in the chest before taking his warm-up tosses. Watching the other players reaction was also great—especially Brandon Phillips, who had to cover his face with his glove cuz he was laughing so hard. We seriously watched the whole scene about 6 times and were howling with laughter. As mentioned before here, Bell is a great guy. He does all sorts of funny stuff on local TV down here like flying model airplanes around PETCO and good naturedly goofing with local reporters. Also read a story the other day where it talked about how he bikes his 9 year old daughter with Down Syndrome to school by pulling her in a trailer while his other kid follows along on a scooter. Showed a cool pic of all of them with Heath leading the way on a beach cruiser.

I’d prefer Pence or Cuddyer, but I’m down with bringing Beltran on board. I’m also all for bringing in Johnny Upgrade behind the dish.

If it gets real slow today, I might share my calzone recipe from last night. Not bad.

7. SanDawg said, on July 13, 2011 at 9:57 am

I agree with Loo by the way. Like the “super friendly” pitbull down the street, I keep a close eye on LA just in case they start to make a run. I don’t care about how bad their ownership situation is, there is too much talent on that team to keep down forever.

8. Rough Trade said, on July 13, 2011 at 10:27 am

What the hell happened to Kuo? Broxton has the bad elbow and is out indefinitely. Garland is lost for the yr. Blake is hurt again. Uribe continues to suck.
    Gee, maybe Tiny Velez can provide a spark.

9. blade3colorado said, on July 13, 2011 at 10:57 am

Dodgers? Any year, except this year Loo . . . I love it when my FL pitchers go against them (always a shutout or low scoring game). But what do I know, i.e., I’ve been predicting a Giants World Series for the last gazillion years.and the year I picked them not to win (last year), they win. Pfffft!

• TedSpe said, on July 13, 2011 at 11:08 am

Well, we’re all hoping, then, that you’re picking the Giants not to win this year as well 😉

10. twinfan1 said, on July 13, 2011 at 11:12 am

No one is making a run. That crap comes from not really believing we even won it last year. Again- virtually no one outside of the blog doomers think the Giants aren’t winning the division- WITHOUT outside help. Even Kawakami said l;ast night that Beltran would be with an eye to the postseason. This is SF- leave the inferiority complex to AAA’s fans and Doomin’ Denny- the NL West is ours..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 13, 2011 at 11:17 am

Inferiority complex? That’s a new one. I’ll broach that subject with my therapist on my next visit. I just might find happiness yet, and I’ll have you to thank. That’ll put me back at square one again.

11. stixwiz said, on July 13, 2011 at 11:38 am

Thirty-odd more hours of waiting and then its the 70 game homestretch. Whether its Beltran, Belt running, or some other bat; Sabean will add some lumber to make up for the losses of Posey and Sanchez. Bear in mind that Drrrrty Sanchez is bear-bait right about now, just in case some starter-hungry team is willing to cede a good, young position player to get an essentially unhittable pitcher.

There will be moves. It’s something like the international economy. You know something’s gonna pop, and pretty soon, most likely. Catcher will also be addressed. There could be a surprise. Should the major pick-up be Beltran, chances are it will be a $6M salary uptake, plus a couple of mid-level prospects like Neal and Gillaspie.

Continuing “as is” should be good for the West. One upgrade should get SF past Atlanta in October. Two upgrades and Philly make be looking upmountain against the Champs.

12. stixwiz said, on July 13, 2011 at 11:39 am

May be looking, that is…

13. zumie said, on July 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm

The Showtime series starts tonight. I don’t have Showtime, but the long preview of the show at the Giants’ website is terrific.

14. DJLoo said, on July 13, 2011 at 12:45 pm

At the moment, Atlanta & Philadelphia are probably better than last year.
    At the moment, we ain’t. Don’t be too sure about landing Beltran, either.
    Nate’s next 2 weeks might have something to with it.
    ——————————————————————————————-
    My Dodger paranoia is rooted in history. They are loose and have talent.
    Their problems could galvanize them. And they hate us.
    If the rivalry still matters, they’ll be heard from. Every few years one team burns the other.
    You’re experienced men. You all remember 2004, 1997, 1993, 1991, 1982, 1971, and on and on…
    9 games left with them, 6 in the last 2 weeks, I think.

• xootsuit said, on July 13, 2011 at 1:27 pm

2001 wasn’t so hot, either, on the final weekend. But that was a different dodger franchise. The McCourt divorce debacle has diluted any chemistry the team might have. Dissolution’s the perfect word. Only people who’ll get galvanized by the team’s problems will be mlb’s lawyers — bill the hell outta that case, guys!

15. zumie said, on July 13, 2011 at 12:48 pm

The preview footage is over half an hour long:

16. eddacker said, on July 13, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I did happen to catch the first 6 innings of the AS classic and I must have watched a different game than the media pundits. They are hungry for news/excitement and I am happy for what I get.
    I especially loved seeing Bruce relaxed and enjoying himself. He had a (half) shit eating grin when Hudson threw out Bautista at the plate. Then a full on grin when Prince hit the homer. I am sure he loved having speed on the bases to spare even if it didn’t all work out.
    For a baseball stranded guy in GB, it was more fun than I would have had otherwise. Thank God for ESPNs replays start just as I am getting home from work.

17. eddacker said, on July 13, 2011 at 1:32 pm

also MLB.com has BWs lineup comments and bochy’s post game among the highlights clips.

18. twinfan1 said, on July 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Dodgers could give a flying fuck about the Giants.But Loo, you’re like Doomin’ Dernny, you guys need some bogus shit to get worked up about.”OMG-look who’s batting sixth!!!! This will NEVER do”!

19. Flavor said, on July 13, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Dodgers are just worried about getting paid each month. And I disagree about their level of talent. They have 2 great outfielders and then a black whole in LF. All four of their infielders under produce for that position, their catcher sucks and they have no closer. The Dodgers are awful……

20. TedSpe said, on July 13, 2011 at 2:02 pm

No!! Fear the Dodgers!!! Look at their 2 most recent moves!! They just traded for Juan Rivera (shudder) and just fired Steve Garvey (is their no GOD??)

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 13, 2011 at 2:18 pm

If there is and if God’s a female, good chance she’s carrying Garvey’s child.

• TedSpe said, on July 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm

That reminds me of the old joke where an angel comes to visit the earth and ends up on a talk show and they ask what we’d be surprised to know about God and the angel says, “Well, a lot of poeple don’t know this but…she’s black”

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm

And her name is Oprah.

• TedSpe said, on July 13, 2011 at 2:34 pm

hahaha

21. Kevin said, on July 13, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Slow day on the flap, talking about Oprah. Sounds like a bunch of housewives not a bunch of men talking baseball.

• TedSpe said, on July 13, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Could be worse. Could be talking about PROJECT RUNWAY

• Kevin said, on July 13, 2011 at 4:10 pm

and just what do you know about this, this project??

• TedSpe said, on July 13, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Doesn’t the title say it all?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 13, 2011 at 4:48 pm

2-1 says Kevin thinks it’s a show about airports.

• Kevin said, on July 13, 2011 at 4:50 pm

oh that says Runway, I thought it Runaway. Thanks Dennis.

• xootsuit said, on July 13, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Hey, didn’t Kevin’s wife make him watch that show while a game was on? Or was that someone else?

• Kevin said, on July 13, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Xoot, it was during a niner game and A****S***** was QBing so I didn’t mind

22. blade3colorado said, on July 13, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Someone adding another terminal to an airport?

23. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 13, 2011 at 4:57 pm

J.P. Morosi thinks we’re prepared to add salary and take on a guy like Beltran.

24. twinfan1 said, on July 13, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Project Runway is a great show. Expand your world, men. Tim Gunn could manage in the bigs..

25. xootsuit said, on July 13, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Reality tv about “high” fashion? Christ, next we’ll hearing about Kate M’s penchant for wearing pantyhose. (What do Brooklyn and pantyhose have in common? Flatbush.)

26. willieD said, on July 13, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Best “Runway” movie I saw was “Pret-a-Porter” (french for ready to wear). Intentionally funny and pretentious, with julia roberts as a goofy reporter who spends the fashion week in bed with a guy instead of covering the designers because every time she has champagne she gets frisky. A little dog shits every where among the rich and famous, and at the end coco chanel’s models all walk the runway completely naked (full frontal nudity, too). How’s that for a fashion statement?

• ewisco said, on July 13, 2011 at 9:03 pm

really (a very handy new expression)? project runway? I just harangued the splash and now i have to smack you all around?

I’m not paid enough.

• xootsuit said, on July 13, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Robert Altman, right?

• willieD said, on July 13, 2011 at 9:22 pm

yeah, think so, xoot. I liked the nashville movie he did a lot better than the kc one. great soundtrack tho, lot of high quality younger musicians.

• xootsuit said, on July 13, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Nashville was great. Remember the moment in the middle when the Karen Black (Tammy Wynette-like) character got to the bridge of the song she was singing and said, “Vassar” and then Vassar Clements took over the movie for the length of his solo? That was a tribute.

27. twinfan1 said, on July 13, 2011 at 8:38 pm

As I said, PR is a good show, It is high fashion, BTW.No quotation marks required or needed,

• ewisco said, on July 13, 2011 at 9:04 pm

sorry, no. not a good show, and my wife has made sure i’ve seen parts (i remove myself) so, no. twin, i’m worried about the dosage.

28. wilcojoe said, on July 13, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Regarding the “glut of OF” problem if they get Beltran…It wasn’t a problem last year when they had the same guys as now, and then added Guillen and Ross.

• willieD said, on July 13, 2011 at 9:29 pm

wilco, it would just mean guys getting shuffled further down the bench. right now rowand and torres get a lot of time, nate’s hot right now so he’s in, ross most of the time. Add in beltran as a full time guy, PT starts to suffer for someone, who becomes more of PH/ late game D replacement.
      I wouldn’t be so sure burrell would be the odd guy out; he makes the least of amount of bucks, and could just be used to as RH/PH off the bench, with no need to bring a glove to the park. Maybe someone else gets packaged for another player(s) at a position of need, either IF or C.

29. xootsuit said, on July 13, 2011 at 9:01 pm

High fashion and pop music we have with us always. Luckily, US copyright laws don’t protect clothing designs, so the couture trickles down real quick, making it pop, too.

30. willieD said, on July 13, 2011 at 9:32 pm

xoot, Henry gibson as “haven hamilton” was a hoot too.