A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Getting in their Phucking Dome

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 29, 2011

We have absolutely gotten inside the collective Philly dome. Can’t you just envision what last night’s food spread looked like? “It’s ok guys! We, uh, we got the first game! Yeah! We beat the hell out of ’em in Game 1! No problema! Uh, yeah, we beat Barry Zito…..long pause……And then we…..”

Reverted to form……..

What’s funny is that they might think this is psychological but as I noted before the first game, the Phillies are not exactly spring chickens anymore. Their hitters don’t inspire the same fear they once did. It’s nice to take 2 of 3 from them but the main thing I wanted to see was the character of the team and how it would hold up against the bombast of the Phillie fans, the glare of the east coast media and the overall aura of the team with the best record in the National League. Well, we started off with a Zito pearl and ended with our newest pick up doing his best Aubrey Huff 2011 impression. And yet we still took 2 of 3 from them in their yard……

The Beltran trade has meant everything. I’ve gone from envisioning this team losing in the first round of the playoffs to picking out who we are going to face in the World Series (Boston). Beltran is going to transform this offense all by himself. Besides stepping up and being the run producer we so sorely lack this year, he is going to make every hitter better by relieving the pressure each has felt to be THE GUY in this otherwise impotent line up…..

The only thing I question is Krukow’s claim on his show yesterday when he said “Beltran is a certain hall of famer.”  Huh? I don’t see how you look at Beltran’s career numbers and call him a *certain hall of famer*………

1. Rough Trade said, on July 29, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Don’t know if K&K covered it, but by my count, Sergio’s allowed a total of one base runner in July.

• James said, on July 29, 2011 at 7:09 pm

A while ago I posted that if Romo had 3-4 mph more on the fastball, he could be another Eckersley. Not so sure now that he needs the extra velocity.

2. twinfan1 said, on July 29, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Chuckles, were there goats in the outfield with Nate that night?

3. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 29, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Lucky that free 90 ft. courtesy of Whitey didn’t cost ’em. His defense is downright abominable.

4. EdGdsnInExile said, on July 29, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I could be wrong, but I think every batter after Beltran has swung at the first pitch, right? It is the 10th, right? FFS…

5. DJLoo said, on July 29, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Fonte-nope.

6. twinfan1 said, on July 29, 2011 at 7:29 pm

So you’re saying Beltran had a good AB? And Sandoval didn’t, for example?

• EdGdsnInExile said, on July 29, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Good catch, Twin. I have it in my head, aided by a blended red, that Beltran hits 4th. Correct that to everyone after Pablo…

7. zumie said, on July 29, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Nice job by Sandoval taking third on that play.

8. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 29, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Jesus H. Christ does Font suck. He’s like 0 fer like his last 20. He’s in Mudbug’s neighborhood now. Crawford needs to start tomorrow. And so help me Christ if when Tejada returns they send down the Bug. I’m gonna go on a bitching and moaning jag line none other…

9. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 29, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I hope to hell they walk Cairo to set up the force at home…if not, more bitching coming…

10. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 29, 2011 at 7:48 pm

MVP!!!

11. Rough Trade said, on July 29, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Would rather not face Edgar. NATE!

12. Bozo said, on July 29, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Nate in LF, works for me.

13. twinfan1 said, on July 29, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Yeah, he can play left ;- ) …And a great short hop grab from Eli. Unbelievable..

14. DJLoo said, on July 29, 2011 at 7:50 pm

And nicely handled by Eli!

15. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 29, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Y-I-K-E-S [add exclamation point]. That’s how you spell relief: M-O-T-A.

16. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 29, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Oh. Didn’t see the play. I guess it’s spelled N-A-T-E-&-E-L-I.

17. DJLoo said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Could see Zito before this night’s over…

18. zumie said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Oh man. Is this a great sport or what.

19. twinfan1 said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Jesus, Duane…don’t make your HR call if it ain’t goin’ out. Scared the shit out of me..

20. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Tension envelope. Enveloped in tension.

21. Wilcojoe said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Has anyone ever seen a guy lose more bats in the stands than Ross?

• zumie said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:17 pm

• zumie said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:18 pm

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:26 pm

And he will continue to do so until he gets the plunk that he has coming for flipping his bat on the HR vs the Horse. I’m still pissed off at him for that bush league maneuver.

• zumie said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:30 pm

What you said made no sense whatsoever. But you probably knew that.

22. Rough Trade said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Kemp a 3 run J..Bums up 3-1 on Db’s

23. Rough Trade said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Ross might be thinking of changing bats. He’s hitting .100 since the break.

• Bozo said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:27 pm

RT, it seems like Cody has been changing bats quite a bit.

24. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Way to take those pitches. What was it, three pitches thrown? Sheeesh.

25. Bozo said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Tip your hat, see em tomorrow.

• zumie said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Dodgers might give us a little help tonight. We’ll see if they can hang onto their lead.

26. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Wilson loses the game in what kind of situation? That’s right, a NON-save situation. You guys can say whatever the fuck you want, but the numbers don’t lie. Closers in NON-save situations smoke major pole.

• twinfan1 said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:51 pm

All they had left was Wilson and Affeldt- if they use Affeldt and then go to Wilson, he has to go all the way. If you have stats on your theory, let’s see them. Otherwise, it’s just another Crackpot piece of bullshit from Doomin’ Denny. You say the numbers don’t lie. Show ’em..

• zumie said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:52 pm

It’s a tiresome piece of schtick from Dennis.

• Nipper said, on July 29, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Go to the stable and open a bottle.

27. twinfan1 said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Brutal night for Font- left 8 runners on. But who’s more likely to hit- Fontenot or Mudbug? Have to stay with Mike against most pitchers.

28. SanDawg said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Unbelievable. Gotta tip my hat to Rent.

Who the hell is Mudbug??? Bumgarner? Yeah, I’d rather Fontenot up there than him. Totally agree that Fontenot looked like crap tonight though.

• zumie said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:51 pm

And I’m tippin’ my cap to the Dodgers tonight. They’re giving a nice effort against the D-Backs.

• SanDawg said, on July 29, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Hey Zumie—did you catch the post I had earlier about reading a Jerry Tarkanian book this summer? In your vast assemblage of sports books you’ve conquered, have you read “Runnin Rebel?” I get the feeling classic baseball books are more your thing, but maybe you’ve branched out to read some stories about your central valley brother Tark the Shark.
        Now I’ve got some momentum and started Moneyball last night. The part detailing how Billy Beane was such a can’t miss prospect who didn’t pan out was very interesting

• zumie said, on July 29, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I haven’t read either of those books yet. I hadn’t heard of the Tarkanian book. I’ll see if my local library has it. I haven’t read Moneyball yet, but have read other things by the author of that book. He’s a very good writer.

• SanDawg said, on July 29, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I’m surprised you haven’t ready Moneyball as almost everyone I know who is a baseball fan has read it. I’ve avoided it mainly cuz I don’t like the A’s and am not a big Billy Beane guy, but I must say it is pretty interesting so far. Kinda cool reading it now as enough years have passed and you can see if any of the guys they were considering drafting back then made it. One of the guys they mention in there is Mark Teahen—a St. Mary’s grad who has hung around and was just throw-in in a deal that went down the other day.

• zumie said, on July 29, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Yeah, Billy Beane was getting a lot of attention and hype, and yeah, it being the A’s kind of turned me off the book. But now as time has gone on, I’d like to read it. And I’d like to see the film.

• twinfan1 said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Mudbug is Crawford.

29. twinfan1 said, on July 29, 2011 at 8:57 pm

By my figures, Wilson is now 6-3 in non-save situations. That’s a .667 winning percentage.

• DJLoo said, on July 29, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Baseball Reference has it at 2-7/.222

30. twinfan1 said, on July 29, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Surkamp made his start, gave up 5 hits and 2 runs in 6. Struck out 12. Heath Hembree saved it…

• DJLoo said, on July 29, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Heath Bell & Alan Embree had a baby?

31. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 29, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Brian Wilson 2011

Save situations: ERA 2.06 BAA .205 OPS .603 SO/9 9.0
    NON- Save sits: ERA 4.30 BAA .263 OPS .667 SO/9 7.4

Now STFU!

• zumie said, on July 29, 2011 at 9:48 pm

But your “point” is still ridiculous. I can’t believe I even wasted time typing this.

32. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 29, 2011 at 9:52 pm

And if you don’t like my schtick, you can go shove it up your ass. I’m sick and goddamn tired of getting criticized for stating the fact that when Brian Wilson comes into a NON-save situation there is a greater likelihood of him surrendering up a run or two. If you don’t like it, maybe you should take it up with Bochy the next time he brings him in. Get off my ass for being correct.

• zumie said, on July 29, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Whatever. Your schtick is to act irrational, or maybe you ARE irrational. So either way it’s a waste of time responding to you.

• twinfan1 said, on July 29, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Dennis IS irrational, i mean- he actually really HATES Alex Smith. Not as just as a player. He hates him as a normal person would hate Vlad the Impaler had he impaled your entire family and made shish-ke-bob..

33. ewisco said, on July 29, 2011 at 10:00 pm

one of the negatives about this place is the carping and bitching, i’m right, you’re wrong, and stick it up your ass. If i wanted to deal with that, i’ve always got the mrs.

night all.

• twinfan1 said, on July 29, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Well, I should be more tolerant of fucking idiots, I admit that. It pisses me of that they actually stress me out now,

34. zumie said, on July 29, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Another HR from Upton, of course.

35. twinfan1 said, on July 29, 2011 at 10:03 pm

James gave the relevant numbers- CAREER 13 -9 in non-save. Dead wrong again fuckwad. Take the Ledger.
    All that’s relevant is that the team has a .591 winning percentage when he pitches in non-save situations.
    The numbers don’t lie.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 29, 2011 at 10:19 pm

You are so full of shit. You know goddamn well you can’t just judge a pitcher on Ws and Ls. You’ve said so yourself countless times. All that’s proving is that the opposing team’s closer and/or rest of pen is even shitter than Wilson at that point. I provided ALL the relevant numbers that the pitcher can control. I didn’t even bother with his WHIP, but that was higher in NON-save situations as well.

You just can’t fucking admit it when I’m right. You have a problem with it. You could never say, “sorry, Denny. You were right this time.” You couldn’t say that in 50 fucking lifetimes.

• DJLoo said, on July 29, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Love means never having to say you’re sorry…

• zumie said, on July 29, 2011 at 10:28 pm

According to Dennis, Bochy should be afraid to bring Wilson into non-save situations. Dennis sees no gigantic flaw in the logic of that conclusion.

• twinfan1 said, on July 29, 2011 at 10:30 pm

A closer is only judged by resuts. THAT is what I’ve said. WHIP doesn’t mean shit- wins plus saves minus losses- that total is his value. Fact is the team has benefited when he pitches in non-save situations. The proof that you know you are full of shit is that you only make a BFD of it when they do lose.
        But what is most fucked about you is the endless repetition of the 2 or 3 things you fixate on- the closer bullshit, the LU bashing, and your insane hatred of the 49er QB.

36. zumie said, on July 29, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Upton drops a flyball! Dodger rally.

37. zumie said, on July 29, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Terrible throw from Upton, and Scully roasts him on the broadcast regarding his footwork in the outfield.

• DJLoo said, on July 29, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Can we get a traffic & weather update?

• twinfan1 said, on July 29, 2011 at 10:32 pm

It’s raining runs in LA…

• zumie said, on July 29, 2011 at 10:35 pm

For the weather forecast, I’ll quote the great George Carlin:
        “Tonight’s forecast is darkness, followed by partly light in the morning.”

38. twinfan1 said, on July 29, 2011 at 10:39 pm

The peripheral stats like WHIP, BB to K ratio, etc. are valuable tools for predicting future success or giving out awards. If a closer walks the bases full but attains the save or win, the 3.0 WHIP is not relevant-only the save or win is…
    I really think that Dennis believes he is right. That’s sad.

• twinfan1 said, on July 29, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Well, his career ERA in 306 games is 3.11 108 earned runs in 313 innings
      In non save it’s 3.32 38 Earned runs in 103 innings

So, damn, you’re right. He would give up *7* more runs over 306 games if his non-save numbers were his “regular’ numbers

39. Flavor said, on July 29, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Dennis– I’m sorry you are taking so much shit. You are one of my favorite bloggers. I’ll never forget the couple of weeks that you, me and Loo took over the Chronicle *horse racing blog*. But you’ve been dead-wrong on a ton of shit lately so I can’t, as moderator, stop the fallout. What I can do is encourage a cease-fire and I do want to point out how rad you were and still are. Though you’ve changed some with your rants you still respond, mostly, with an attitude I wish more bloggers would take when blogging here…………

40. snarkk said, on July 29, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Somebody give me a 25 words or less review of what happened tonite. I left after it was 3-3. Had to entertain good friends from back East with dinner of Chateubriand and Alaskan Coho mixed grill and some nice Monterrey County Pinot for the last 4 hours. I guess we lost, but WTF happened?…

• snarkk said, on July 29, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Never mind. I just got the lowdown on Wilson giving up the run, and Bochy not hitting Belt for Fontenot. Like I said earlier, I don’t get what they are doing, i.e., not doing, with Belt. The guy rakes in AAA, then they bring him up to sit on pine. Whatever, take 2 of 3 now to win the series…

• Flavor said, on July 29, 2011 at 11:21 pm

there was some fucking *ownage* or whatever that did not materialize during that at bat………

41. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 29, 2011 at 11:32 pm

TF, my “insane hatred for the 49er QB?” He-he-he-he-he. Let me tell you something. You haven’t seen nothing yet. You better come prepared this year with your usual pathetic support for that worthless bastard. I’m coming out with both guns blazing. I am not gonna hold anything back this year. You might as well start firing off with your same old mundane excuses that you’ve been using for the past six years. And, hey. Their start to this new FA period doesn’t look good by all accounts. It almost looks like they’re setting him up to fail. Hey, there’s another excuse for ya. “They didn’t surround ’em with enough talent this year.”

Bring it on. I’m loaded for bear. Hunting Season is open. Be vewy vewy quiet, I’m hunting A***’s.
    Huh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh.

42. unca_chuck said, on July 30, 2011 at 8:53 am

Yeah, I can hardly wait . . .