A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The Stamp Act

Posted in Uncategorized by pawliekokonuts on August 8, 2012

The financially ailing U.S. Postal Service just put out four stamps on “Major League Baseball [tm] All-Stars.” The stamps are handsome depictions of Willie Stargell, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, and Larry Doby. Better yet, the full set carries on the back finely crafted biographies that are succinct and poetic. “The crack of a bat on a hot summer day” the text begins, in bold italic. (I wish I had had that gig.) By the way, these stamps are “Forever” stamps. Isn’t that wonderful, that something you used to lick could confer everlasting metaphysical powers?

Your assignment, boys and girls, should you choose to accept it, is to select A, B, or C, or some combination thereof, or neither (in which case, G.F.Y.):

A. Which four players would you choose out of all of Major League Baseball [tm] history? (I did not do the research, but it would be challenging only to choose players not previously enshrined on stamps. Has Willie Mays ever been so honored? Must one be deceased?)

B. Which four Giants in all of history would you select?

C. Which four Giants from 2012 would you select?

Have at it.

1. Bozo said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:34 pm

If only the Giants could hit. Damn, they need to get a big bat.

2. DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Deserves a save, IMO…

3. Flavor said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:38 pm

not a bad shellacking of these fucks. And they will *always* be fucks to me courtesy of that Jose Oquendo fuck who still acts like a pussy when I heckle him at a game………

4. eddacker said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:39 pm

tomorrows contest should be entertaining with the cards trying for a split and the juggernaut going for more more more

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 8, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Check out your OED on the origins of *juggernaut*. Back in the Seventies, a bunch of us drunks staged a juggernaut parade. Crazy stuff.

• eddacker said, on August 9, 2012 at 3:30 am

Done and done. Nice stuff; I do not know why that word came so strongly to me at the time. I sure felt good to think of my team in that way. It is wooden, unstoppable, crushes and I hope, it destroyed the spirit of the cards for Bumgarner’s day.

5. DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Which OF sits for Blanco tomorrow?

6. twinfan1 said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:42 pm

When they didn’t get that 16th run I was worried- you hate it when 4 swings of of the bat can beat you..

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2012 at 9:05 pm

another AAA performance from Crawford, eh?

• Bozo said, on August 8, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Craw kicked ass. On his blog the other day he said he and his wife were just sitting around in the St Lou hotel room watching, It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia, I gotta think they should keep watching it for the rest of the year.

• twinfan1 said, on August 9, 2012 at 9:53 am

Yeah. like you said several times-maybe he’s not as good defensicely as we thought he was.

7. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 8, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Can you believe Jose Mijares made me nervous? My 15yo daughter and I were enjoying the game together, chatting it up. She’s very astute; understands the game; asks great questions. She wanted to punch him. We were THAT invested in the shutout. I called it an audition. “Dad, in sports, you call it a tryout, not an audition, like ballet.” Her sister is the ballet dancer in Philly. Anyway, now that was a FUN game. Don’t know what I think of the Red Panda. Or The Funnel. That’s from my daughter. She says all the Giants big guys look the same. And this Mijares is shaped like a funnel.

8. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 8, 2012 at 9:09 pm

The ESPN announcers couldn’t have been more bland.

9. willedav said, on August 8, 2012 at 9:17 pm

so we have top of the thread as the Stamp Act, and Giants follow through with the Stomp Act. As Count Basie used to say, one more one time.

• willedav said, on August 8, 2012 at 9:37 pm

should be “one more, once” as count basie told the band before the last chorus of “April in Paris”, from 1956.

10. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 8, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Elias Sports Bureau says Marco “Not Polo” Scutaro is the oldest Giant in history to record 7 or more RBIs in a game. Also, I read last week that Vogey’s streak of 3 or fewer runs in consecutive starts (9 games? gotta look it up) was the most for a Giant. That just can’t be right. Need to research that more.

11. SanDawg said, on August 8, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I only wish LaRussa was on the receiving end of that beatdowm.

Crap, Misty and Kerri won the gold.

I love the Chevy commercial where the dorky guy says “Im gonna slide you a number” that is actually the set price, yet his hot wife gets turned on anyway. great casting all the way around.

12. TedSpe said, on August 8, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I am gonna die here, an no sidewindin’ bushwackin’, hornswagglin’ cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter St. Louis!! No, gone blame it dang blammit!s…
    RRRRRREVRIT!!!!!!!!!!

Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

13. SanDawg said, on August 8, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I think the 4 all-time greatest SF Giants are Mays, McCovey, Bonds, and Lincecum. Those are the the four guys I would put on the stamps.
    Yeah, Tim hasn’t been around that long, is having a shit year, and may never get back to what he was, but he delivered more hardware and glory during that 3 year run than anyone else has since the Giants moved out here. In my book I don’t care if his arm falls off tomorrow—he gets a fucking stamp. Period.

• TedSpe said, on August 8, 2012 at 10:32 pm

REVRET!!!!
      Dawg

14. snarkk said, on August 8, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I missed this entire game.
    Maybe I should miss more, Keereist.
    Gotta hit some highlights, gotta be a few, eh?
    I do see Scutaro got a ton of RBIs, in the 2 hole. I told you dudes he needs to hit up top…

15. TedSpe said, on August 8, 2012 at 10:33 pm

REVRET!!!!
    snarkk

16. TedSpe said, on August 8, 2012 at 10:33 pm

can’t sleep

REVRET!!!!

17. TedSpe said, on August 8, 2012 at 10:38 pm

When you are running down the street…. and you are on fire, people will get out of your way.

REVRET!!!!

18. TedSpe said, on August 8, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Worry not, lads. I’ll stop now.
    Evening

19. snarkk said, on August 8, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Friggin A, Crawford made a couple nice plays at SS.
    That one in the 4th, the pick was nice, but not real special. The special part was the throw, sheezus, he wheeled on that pick and make a quickass release and threw a “seed” to Belt. THAT was a damn major league throw.
    And Scutaro with 7 RBIs? Are we missin’ Burriss? HAYLLL NO…..
    Now Pence is startin’ to feel it, too. I’m liken’ this LU a helluva lot more than 2 weeks ago, and Panda is still somewhere eaten’ bamboo shoots (I hope). When he’s back, sheezus, on paper the LU says lookout!….