Time for A Change; Anna, We Salute You

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 5, 2013

I’m not sure I can remember a more awesome trip around the bases than the one I saw last night. It was like the Budweiser Beer truck driver stole Quiroz’ uni, strapped it on, and then this happened:

Quiroz? Sure, why not. Belt (multiple times), Panda, Crawford, Posey, Quiroz….who am I forgetting? Feels like I’m forgetting 37 other guys…..Can you imagine what this is doing to the Dodgers collective psyche? It’s almost like they’re getting eliminated in May. Or a ghost has stolen their soul. Or a Chinese organ thief has…well, you get the idea. I’m not sure how LA(me) comes back from this string of devastating injuries and brutal walk-off losses.

And after careful consideration I’ve decided to take Anna down. Yes, I realize I’m going against the will of the people. Sometimes that’s what great leaders are forced to do. As much as I’d like to have her lead us to a 137 game win streak to close out the season, I’ve got to do the right thing and give her a rest. Christ, have you seen that pic? Anna is worn out, man. Although some may claim she came to us that way. Also probably true.

For those of you who don’t know who she is, here’s the story. Every day I change out the BBOTD to a new BBOTD. Sometimes they’re babes. Sometimes they, um, aren’t. It’s how I keep my BBOTD brethren on their toes. 🙂 . Last year, with us down 3-0 to the Cards, I glumly posted a non-descript bikini babe and went on about my day. That pic can be found in The Story of a Sundressed Goddess Page here (she’s the 2nd one down, below the Sundressed Goddess and her story):

But there was magic in that bikini, my friends. We won a couple of games and I thought to myself “leave her up. She’s a good luck charm”. Angry calls from the BBOTD crowd began to surface. They demanded change. They were firing at me from all directions! But I stayed strong and true to the mission. If I didn’t waver, she would take us home. And that’s what she did. After reeling off 8 straight wins and another World Championship, the cat-calls turned into cheers and the cheers turned into a  standing ovation for this great BBOTD rally-babe. Bozo named her “Anna the Real Estate Agent” and she was retired to the Sun Dressed Goddess page for the Winter.

I hadn’t thought of Anna in months but decided to once again crown her the BBOTD, this time with the fairly unflattering picture that you’ve seen recently. We had just been swept by the Padres and I felt like we needed a boost. So I did it. And she has responded by bequeathing Flavor Nation with 5 straight wins! All epic, all attributed to her awesomeness.

But 13 wins in a row is enough. I can’t think of anyone appropriate to replace her so I’m going to leave the BBOTD page blank for a few days. Think of it as a form of reverence. I will place her current BBOTD photo in the SDG widget where she, the SDG and Daisy the Bartender can look after each other. At least until we need more magic. Then I shall call on her again. I have no doubt what her response will be.

So don’t think of her as gone, my friends. And despite the furor that will surely come my way for taking her down, please try to remember that I’m doing this with an eye to the future. We will need her later this year. Her aura is everlasting; her powers overwhelming. She is “Anna the Real Estate Agent”, and all she does is win…….

1. willedav said, on May 5, 2013 at 8:13 am

Check out the HR trot from Andres, who ran like the ball was still in play. When Pegs whacked his double there was a great dugout shot of him pointing at the kid and yelling out support and encouragement…..all this to the guy who could be taking his PT away. Very cool, and the type of stuff a real “team” does.

2. eddacker said, on May 5, 2013 at 8:52 am

Quiroz? There is a sandwich shop in your future with the hot-sub “walk-off HR” a crowd favorite.

Ain’t this team GREAT!

3. twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2013 at 9:12 am

I don’t want to be accused of a being a Dodger lover again, as that is of course, a ridiculous accusation…BUT the Dodger team was totally psyched by their own comeback. And Donnie played it like a postseason game. We’ve won these two thrillers not because we have better character or whatever but because we’re, well, better..
    What a cool, whacky game, and what a delight Quiroz is. How often do you see a guy in that situation, a minor league lifer, no less-actually have a plan in that AB ( having known League in Toronto)?“I played with him,” Quiroz said. “I kind of knew what pitch he would try to get me out with.” Other notes:
    It’s getting serious with Vogey.And there’s no hope in sight. The Boofer had been the best in Fresno and he got bombed last night. And he’s awful anyway.
    Vungo’s HR “trot” was remindful of his first as a Giant- Around the Bases in .80 Seconds
    There’s gotta be a way for the stat geek superstars like Tom Tango to come up with a number to make defensive excellence as easy to understand and celebrate as offensive contributions. In the Brandon guys we have two players who regularly make plays that make just as difference as an RBI, as do other teams.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 5, 2013 at 9:19 am

True about the Brandon guys. Just saw a replay of that DP on the 8th. How many 1b in the league make that throw? Belt is so good over there. I know he bobbled that DP in the 5th I think but Crawford makes everything look easy.

4. twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2013 at 9:15 am

A replacement for Anna. No Brainer: Desiree Coleman-Jackson.

dd

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 5, 2013 at 9:15 am

When you start in a place called Medicine Hat and have a day that ends with the fans going wild and Marco Scutaro giving you a personal escort down the 3rd base line after a walk off home run life is good. What a story. What a finish.

• blade3colorado said, on May 5, 2013 at 9:26 am

Dirt, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you with a profile pic. Nice pic (said in gruff manly voice, so no flapper will confuse my compliment).

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 5, 2013 at 9:39 am

Haha, Thanks Blade.

• blade3colorado said, on May 5, 2013 at 10:12 am

De nada 🙂

6. blade3colorado said, on May 5, 2013 at 9:28 am

By the by, were the hell is Paulinasia??????? I miss his erudite, common sense comments.

• twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2013 at 9:48 am

I exchanged some Email with Paul. I’ll just say that he indicated that he was hard hit by the marathon bombing, he had lived and worked there. He’ll be back, I’m sure. I hope.

• blade3colorado said, on May 5, 2013 at 10:11 am

I hope so too.

7. blade3colorado said, on May 5, 2013 at 10:27 am

What’s really neat about Paul, is that not only is his writing so thoughtful, knowledgeable, and grammatically correct, but he comes across in person as a regular “Joe.” No putting on airs – as he was a highlight of my RTW trip.

8. willedav said, on May 5, 2013 at 10:35 am

With Mijares due back off bereavement leave and the thought of keeping the extra arm on 25 man, Bochy is quoted as saying, “We’re not quite getting the length from the starters that we usually do.” Tho he got lit last night and allowed both inherited runners to score (plus one of his own) I’d assume that means Machi stays.
    Good for him…just hope the SPs not named Bum figure it out soon. Should be more like traditional *pitcher’s weather* tonite, and probably no sun field or shadows to deal with.

9. Bozo said, on May 5, 2013 at 11:29 am

All I know is it’s an 8:00 start back here and on ESPN so I’m good with that.

• Flavor said, on May 5, 2013 at 11:46 am

I’m just glad it’s not in the middle of the day during *get shit done* time. Gonna go get my Cinco de Mayo on and catch you fellas later.

10. twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2013 at 11:35 am

They sure as heck need Mijares back, Lopez has been terrible and Affeldt hasn’t been sharp since his return. Runzler has been struggling in Fresno, as well…
    Don’t know who would down or strain a right doohickey. .

11. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 5, 2013 at 11:48 am

One of your better posts, or threads, as some call it, Magnus Flavoris. I like the voice. My sunny disposition on a sunny day after a sunny win might be part of it. But, knowing nod.

12. twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Torres CF, Scutaro 2B, Sandoval 3B Posey 1B, Pence RF, Peguero LF, Quiroz C, Crawford SS, Cain RHP

13. IH1978 said, on May 5, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I foresee many more strippers in M Jackson’s future. His wife is scary looking.

14. Ryan said, on May 5, 2013 at 2:02 pm

LOL, thank you for the explanation of the mascots. Great train story – strangers on a train.

15. manny said, on May 5, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Today, a couple of hundred million Mexicans and myself celebrate my birthday (58th), Oh yeah, a thing called Cinco de Mayo also. is being celebrated also. The last two games with the Dodgers has been some exciting baseball with outcomes that make a Giant fan jump for joy as the two homerun blasts head for the seats.Any screw ups in my writing today I am blaming on the cheap ass Busch beer being consumed here.

• Bozo said, on May 5, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Happy birthday Manny, you youngster. I’ve got you beat by 5 months. Have a good one man and go Giants.

16. zumiee said, on May 5, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Pretty weird Dodger team. Sandoval’s playing through pain in his elbow for the Giants, and yet Adrian Gonzalez is out of the first two games with a strained neck. Well, whatever. For all I know, his neck is REALLY hurting. Still, the “optics” of it aren’t great for the Dodgers, gamer-wise. In fact, the biggest gamer for the Dodgers so far in the series, of all people, was Hanley Ramirez trying to gut it out and get to third with a pulled hamstring.
    By the end of last night’s game, A.J. Ellis was no longer blocking wild pitches with his body, but was trying to backhand them, matador-style.
    What happened to Ethier? He looks suddenly older and fading.
    I mean, I could be totally off on all this. But I just visualize Magic Johnson pondering Gonzalez’s stiff neck, with Magic thinking……”You know how many NBA games I played through with a stiff neck?…..”

• Flavor said, on May 5, 2013 at 3:15 pm

well, he walked out of the clubhouse the other day with a neck brace on. Now, I don’t like the Dodgers and prefer to believe all things about them to be “puss”. So I’ll go with that. Of course, he could really be hurting. But again, I’m going with “puss” as the answer for the neck brace. 🙂

• snarkk said, on May 5, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I heard this morning on radio that Gonzales tried to go yesterday, but in BP he could not turn his neck far enough to face the pitcher. If true, just a minor problem when batting…

• Flavor said, on May 5, 2013 at 3:48 pm

maybe that was Rowand’s problem.

17. James said, on May 5, 2013 at 3:28 pm

The Dodgers have had injuries to 3 key players, and Kemp and Beckett have been pretty crappy. That pretty much explains being a whopping . . . 4.5 games out. If AJ Ellis, Crawford, AGon, and Ethier continue to perform as they have, Greinke comes back strong, Ramirez plays a full, solid season, and Kemp isn’t damaged goods, they will be in the division race. That’s a pretty long list of “ifs”, though . . . .

• Flavor said, on May 5, 2013 at 3:54 pm

AJ Ellis sucks. Crawford will get injured again. Kemp is going to need most of (if not all) of this year to recover from major shoulder surgery, Ethier has sucked all year and really hasn’t been any good since 2009 AND is probably a bigger pussy than all of the Dodgers combined, and A-Gone, as I’ve always said, has never really been a stud on a stud team in a big market area where the pressure is always on…..
      So, I see it a little differently I guess.

• James said, on May 5, 2013 at 4:12 pm

The pussies and studs dimension of the game has always eluded me. Is AJ Ellis a pussy or not a stud? His batting and defensive stats look ok to me.

• Flavor said, on May 5, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Not everyone is a pussy or a stud. There are players who fall in between. I don’t pay that much attention to defensive metrics (I find them inaccurate and wildly fluctuating AND they mean nothing to me in fantasy play) but AJ Ellis seems to me to be a guy who played a little over his head last year and even that wasn’t too inspiring.
        Either way, the Dodgers aren’t going to win or lose because of AJ Ellis. He’s just a guy.

18. Flavor said, on May 5, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Just watched the Quiroz HR revelry around the bases again. Man, the shot of him running up the first base line is the best. Just THE BEST.

19. Flavor said, on May 5, 2013 at 3:58 pm

not sure if this link will work, but this is the *collision* that caused A-Gone’s neck injury. Maybe for a 50 year old man, but this shouldn’t do that much damage to a major league professional athlete.

20. twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Gonzalez has played 156-161-162-160-160-159-159 games from 2006-2012. That’s not really the profile of a shirker.

21. sandy32koufax said, on May 5, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Hey guys, Ellis IS a defensive liability and A-Gon doesn’t play football. Hell, I tore an ICL just walking when I was a young buck stud. The spine isn’t something to be trifled with or take chances on. Plus the guy cost a bundle so I get them playing a waiting game on him.

Can’t explain the rest of these sad sacks though. Especially Ethier.

And TF? Find a beauty to LOOK at instead of that scary broad you posted earlier, YIKES!

• twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2013 at 6:02 pm

That’s not for me, I have standards. It’s Mark Jackson’s wife, she’s the perfect replacement for Anna.

• sandy32koufax said, on May 5, 2013 at 6:36 pm

My apologies to Jackson then.

• twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Listen to her anthem before Game 4. I think I heard Alex Karros do it worse once, maybe.

• Flavor said, on May 5, 2013 at 6:44 pm

it was a fantastic comedy act.

• sandy32koufax said, on May 5, 2013 at 6:51 pm

See, I’m all for turning the mic off on “stylized” versions of the National Anthem. Vocalists, anyway…

• twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I wouldn’t call it stylized, Craig nailed it. The best part is when they show Jackson, head bowed. We know he’s a religious man. We don’t know what he was praying for.

• James said, on May 5, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Ellis had an above avg. caught stealing percentage last year. That’s a pretty tangible defensive metric. Throwing is usually separates catchers defensively.

• Flavor said, on May 5, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Agreed, it’s much more relevant for catchers than position players

• sandy32koufax said, on May 5, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I as many LA games as I can on MLBNET. Ellis may have good numbers pct-wise throwing guys out but he lets too many balls get passed him, either due to bad pitches or just poor fielding. That’s what I’m judging his play on. Last night was indicative of my point and so was Friday night. It’s great that he throws guys out but he lets too many advance or score due to poor fielding.

• James said, on May 5, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Sandy, Ellis had 11 passed balls last year, and 37 wild pitches got passed him. Those aren’t especially bad numbers and are compensated for by the number of runners he threw out. A passed ball allows a runner to move up, but a caught stealing is an out – that is a much bigger deal than giving up the extra base. Ellis also made very few errors.

22. Flavor said, on May 5, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Hunter Pence should have his hot girlfriend scooter with him to the game in a bikini….

23. James said, on May 5, 2013 at 6:09 pm

The weapons Ryu brought with him from Korea haven’t yet penetrated the Giants’ 38th parallel.

24. James said, on May 5, 2013 at 6:19 pm

The players love playing for Mattingly so they can go their own way and refuse to develop team chemistry. I don’t know why I ever criticize KandK.

25. Flavor said, on May 5, 2013 at 6:25 pm

If Ryu is gonna skip all his BP sessions he might try spending that free time on learning how to bunt

26. Flavor said, on May 5, 2013 at 6:29 pm

That ball was “smoked”? Wtf is he talking about? Pence misjudged it a little but that ball wasn’t smoked– it actually sounded like he broke his bat

27. Flavor said, on May 5, 2013 at 6:37 pm

7 walks thru 30 gms is fine. It appears math isn’t the espn guy’s specialty

28. unca_chuck said, on May 5, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I hate ESPN/Fox’s field mikes. Every struck ball sounds like a guy in a studio smacking 2 slats of wood together. EVERYTHING sounds like a broken bat.

• xoot said, on May 5, 2013 at 7:05 pm

yep, exactly. I turned the sound off.

29. unca_chuck said, on May 5, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Wow. Gotta love the Dodger attack.

• zumiee said, on May 5, 2013 at 7:04 pm

$200 million worth.

30. zumiee said, on May 5, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Good to see the return of the ol’ Cainer.

• twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2013 at 7:18 pm

He loves dem Bums this year. 13.1 IP 0 ER..

31. sandy32koufax said, on May 5, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Later Flappers, I’m off to the tequila station-this sucks.

• Flavor said, on May 5, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Have a good one Sandy, thanks for stopping by

32. unca_chuck said, on May 5, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Kontos with a very poor job there.

Fuck. 2 bleeders.

33. unca_chuck said, on May 5, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Would suck if Cain doesn’t get this win.

34. twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2013 at 7:44 pm

The grounder to short had funky written all over it.

35. unca_chuck said, on May 5, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Romo Romo Romo. El guardar por Romo. Feliz Cinco de Mayo . . .

36. eddacker said, on May 5, 2013 at 7:59 pm

SWEEP LA

hahahahaha

37. Macdog said, on May 5, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Barrer!

38. unca_chuck said, on May 5, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Yeeeeee hawwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

Nothing finer that sweeping the Dogs.

39. twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Back on top of the Sherpas…

40. eddacker said, on May 5, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Anna was there!

41. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 5, 2013 at 8:19 pm

For the record, John Kruk gave very decent props to the Giants. Says, they simply find a way to win. If SP is a problem, they just put up 10 runs. Need pitching? They provide it. Simple. Thank you. Finally. Some #respect.

42. Flavor said, on May 5, 2013 at 9:05 pm

She’s probably pissed to fuck that I didn’t let her hit 14….

• Bozo said, on May 5, 2013 at 9:15 pm

She probably “hit” 14 at the Real Estate Expo and convention.

43. Bozo said, on May 5, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I would personally like to thank the Dodges for showing up this weekend. Just a little message for em, we play nine innings in this league. HA.

44. zumiee said, on May 5, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Tonight was just pure bliss. Giants fans are on top of the heap- basking, floating, even wallowing. Our team is reigning World Champs, winning on the national game of the week tonight, getting all kinds of positive glowing stuff said about it all throughout the game by the broadcasters, as the Giants sweep the Dodgers. It’s just flat-out great times.

• Bozo said, on May 5, 2013 at 10:08 pm

True that Z.

• eddacker said, on May 6, 2013 at 1:22 am

No kicking the dog
      my finances are fine
      an added strut to my gait
      the man in the mirror just a bit better looking
      ALL is right in this fan’s world
      Giants’ sweep the dogers