A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Is a Bee-Wheezy Return a Possibility?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 24, 2013

Brian Wilson showed off his new arm the other day to Raggs and Billy Hayes at a private workout at USF. He reportedly touched 94 on the gun. If he can prove that’s where he’s truly at I don’t think he’ll have any trouble finding a job. The Tigers and the Red Sox, two teams who are obviously contending this year, would be the most obvious destinations. The Giants don’t really fit for 2 reasons: 1) they aren’t contending 2) they already have a front line closer. If Wheezy did come back, what would be his role? Would Romo get bumped back to set-up guy? Just from a logistics standpoint that would seem to be a great idea. But from a *Romo* standpoint, I’m not sure how cool he would be with that.

Brian Wilson is one of the few former players that I will actively root for regardless of where he lands. It wouldn’t cost us any prospects, just some dough. It’s unlikely but I’d love to see him back in the Orange and Black again…..

1. unca_chuck said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:56 am

Well, teams looking for a closer are out there. Trading Romo and banking on Wilson would be a big fat gamble, but they need to get some players. IF they brought him back I’m sure they’d initially use him to set up Romo. and see how things shake out. If he’s back to ‘normal’ then they’d have a bargaining chip.

2. salty said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:14 am

Fact that Wilson is still avail with teams needing pitching makes you wonder….

3. Flavor said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:25 am

30 years ago, the Pine Tar game happened. Some dude at the BBA, of which I am *an esteemed member* 🙂 wrote a good blog post about it interviewing 2 players who were at the game. Check it out:

• Flavor said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:33 am

One thing I didn’t know about that story was that Gaylord Perry stole the bat from the umpire and ran away with it. How awesome is it that one of the great cheaters in the history of the game decided to step up and abscond with the tainted bat?

4. xoot said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:37 am

I wouldn’t mind a two-man closer committee. Romo could stay fresh; once in a while they’d both get in. If Casilla stays steady and fills the set up role, and, as you’d expect, Lopez continues to be great vs. LHs, they’d have a helluva late inninng BP, even without the 2012 version of Affeldt. That’s assuming Wilson once again really can throw 93 with cut.

I listened to part of the post-game interview with Surkamp. He described the limitations he felt following the TJ surgery and rehab. He said that everything was strong–in fact because of the workouts in rehab his shoulder was stronger than ever. But now that the elbow’s back in action, not all the parts are working together yet. He said his arm hasn’t yet developed all of the “whip” action he needs, especially for breaking balls. He was confident, however, that pitching alone will solve the problem. Brian Wilson’s been working out a lot since his surgery, it seems. Maybe his whip is game ready.

5. zumiee said, on July 24, 2013 at 10:04 am

It’s great to hear the positive news about Wilson.
    —-
    The Reds did something kind of cool yesterday, wearing the red retro-jerseys for their “home” game instead of their white ones. The white ones would have been kind of unpleasant to see in our ballpark. Somehow just not right. Wearing the red ones was just a nice little show of respect that shouldn’t go unnoticed.

6. unca_chuck said, on July 24, 2013 at 10:07 am

I’m sure you wouldn’t mind, but they probably would . . .

Plus, the demand for a closer would likely get them some good prospects. Their window this year is rapidly closing.

I have no idea what Weezy’s timetable is in regards to throwing live, but any ammo these guys can get would help down the road. As we have seen all too well, the cupboard is bare where it comes to position players from the minors.

7. Bozo said, on July 24, 2013 at 10:08 am

I wouldn’t mind having BW back, but I’m not sure he wants to come back to the Giants. He is a free agent so it’s his call if he gets the offers. He just deemed himself healthy enough to audition for teams. And, I think the reason the Giants got first view is because they are still responsible for his rehab (he was still signed by the Giants when he went on the DL).

• Flavor said, on July 24, 2013 at 10:13 am

They said they did it as a favor to him

• Bozo said, on July 24, 2013 at 11:07 am

I was just going by what Chris Haft reported that Evans said.
        “Giants vice president and assistant general manager Bobby Evans confirmed that San Francisco remains interested in Wilson, a three-time All-Star who ranks third in franchise history with 171 saves.”
        “We’ve maintained contact and asked to be included in the process if he decides to sign,” Evans said, noting that the Giants are responsible for Wilson’s rehabilitation until he signs with a different organization.”

8. snarkk said, on July 24, 2013 at 10:08 am

Having two closers in your Pen is a little extravagant, especially when you rarely need one…

9. willedav said, on July 24, 2013 at 10:13 am

Sorry, but I don’t miss Wilson. He did all he could to help the team win it all in 2010 (and nothing after), and I’ll be happy to hear K and K say he was a good giant (emphasis on past tense).
    A quality arm in the pen is always nice but really, the Giants overlying need is for an SP, and maybe two. Sabes has a lot more imp work to do than trying to figure out where Wilson is.

• snarkk said, on July 24, 2013 at 10:33 am

Bingo. Let him go somewhere else. He’ll want to go to a contender. Let him throw 35 pitch 9th inning heart attacks for somebody else…

10. Alleykat said, on July 24, 2013 at 10:58 am

How come Sabean won’t even take a flyer out on Pitcher Jair Jurriens?

• Flavor said, on July 24, 2013 at 11:42 am

because he sucks. Now, does he suck worse than Kickham or Surkamp? If the answer is no then I agree, fill up AAA with a few Jair-Jurr’s and call on them to spot start when you need it. Shit, Surkamp basically said in his interview after the game that his arm/delivery etc isn’t ready yet. Then why the fuck toss him out there?

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 12:36 pm

No shit. Jar Jar or whatever the fuck his name is, has been out of baseball a year, hasn’t he? He was a one hit wonder a couple of years ago and struggled last year (and was injured I think???). Next . . .

• willedav said, on July 24, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Um, I hope Giants would set their hopes a little higher than that for an SP. Maybe an FA that would enjoy pitching 30 times at ATT comes up off season–Garza is only a rental, remember. The only SP that has shown season long consistency of good performance has been Bum. I’ll give the Groper props for what he has done, but I don’t think it’s realistic to expect him to continue that going forward into next year as an SP.
      So you are going to need to rebuild back end of the rotation. Lincecum is still an unknown–I’ll give him a pass on Monday, but I want to see what he can do pitching on the road rest of the year before gauging any offer. There is nothing coming up before 2015 to get excited about. Surkamp is Z lite, soft tossing lefty who relies on movement and location to be effective, not overpowering stuff.
      I really want to see SF acquire quality players they can build around if they are going to pick up anyone, at any position. I’m interested to see what next two months show Sabean–if he feels what he has, when healthy, can contend in this division or if he needs to get a 1b, an OF or two (besides Pagan and the kids), or a C (if he’s gonna move Posey to a different position). I think he’s looking at it like a lot of guys are playing for their jobs.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 24, 2013 at 1:03 pm

maybe because it’s too hard to pronounce his name or too many chances for typos on the contract

11. Macdog said, on July 24, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Mixed feelings about this one. I’d probably prefer that Wilson go elsewhere. It’s likely a lost season, and what exactly is he going to contribute, if he even has anything left to offer? I want to remember Wilson for all his contributions to 2010, especially the strikeout of Howard and those uncharacteristically three quick outs to finish the World Series, and not have all that get possibly sullied by a comeback attempt. And I’m with snarkk: It’s much less stressful on the ticker watching Romo close games.

On the other hand, there’s gotta be some reason to keep watching the Giants over the last two months, and the entertainment value that Wilson brings alone might just be worth it.

12. Nipper said, on July 24, 2013 at 12:28 pm

The Giants have so many needs that the Wilson question is probably barely a concern. This season is very shaky at best.

13. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Me? I don’t want Sabes bringing anyone in, if this is the “team” that is going to be reinforced. This is almost like the U.S. Government sending in reinforcements a week after Custer and his men have been scalped and quartered at Little Big Horn.

Sabes has maintained (and I agree with this) that the team has to show a “pulse” before he is going to even think about getting reinforcements. With only a few days before the deadline, that isn’t going to likely happen. I would be shocked if he traded for anyone.

• Flavor said, on July 24, 2013 at 12:40 pm

well what constitutes a *pulse*? They’re 6-4 in their last 10. They need a couple of upgrades to be better than that going forward. The outfield upgrade that wouldn’t cost much would be Aoki or Byrd. And they can gamble that Voggy coming back will be an upgrade. Add Bee Wheezy—those 3 moves didn’t cost much if anything at all and they would help the team play better than the 6-4 they just played over their last 10.

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Realistically, they are dead Flav . . . Sure I hope they light a fire under themselves, but within that “6-4” record, you have the Gmen’s first win in six tries against the Reds this season after being outscored 34-6 in the first five meetings — including 11-0 on Monday night and 9-3 in the opener Tuesday. The Reds had 10 hits after combining for 32 in the first two games. I guess I am just a bit skeptical about their chances and understand completely why the Giants don’t want to throw money down a rat hole for a “rental” player (albeit, Norris is still available and he is under contract for a couple of more years).

14. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 24, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I’d love Willie the Beard to come back. Why not? Just because. He’d give us some magic mojo juju hoodoo.

15. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 24, 2013 at 1:01 pm

SI’s Tom Verducci is a helluva good writer. Check out his very very very very good Buster Posey story in 7/22 issue. Actually bought it after reading the whole article in doctor’s office.

• Nipper said, on July 24, 2013 at 2:06 pm

My doctor never has a sports mag. available. And the other doctor doesn’t either!

• Alleykat said, on July 24, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Do they carry Nipper’s Van magazine ?
        Life on the road with a bunch of Beers..

16. unca_chuck said, on July 24, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Whatever moves the Giants make, it isn’t going to be a rental. Whatever they give up (if anything) will be for the next season .5 at worse. They aren’t in a situation to think they are a Beltran away from running the table. At least that;s certainly how Sabes sounds.

17. Flavor said, on July 24, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Norris and Veras are drawing huge interest, according to mlbtraderumors.com
    The ‘stros are seeking 2 top prospects for Norris which is EXACTLY the cost I said it would take to land him 6 weeks ago….

18. Flavor said, on July 24, 2013 at 3:49 pm

and Blade, I’d take it easy on the team for those first two losses of this current series. The first game was against a weary armed Lincecum and then they lit up Surkamp. And the first loss we had to the Red was fuckin’ Kickham who got blasted. My point is that yes, the team has given up a lot of hits to the Reds but three of those games can be easily explained away (Kick, tired-Timmy, Surk). None of those 3 will be pitching any more games for us this year (Surk and Kick and not coming back up and Timmy probably won’t be throwing anywhere close to 148 pitches again this year……
    I’m not trying to be a pollyanna about the team. For the first time since 2007 it looks like I am going to be way off my prediction for their overall record. But I see no reason to give up and if I was a season ticket holder I would be pissed if they didn’t try to add to the team if there was an opportunity to add. I’m not talking about trading a “Wheeler” for a rental. But passing off a *Culberson* for another *Scoots* is something Sabean should be trying to pull off. The market is hot for the upper echelon trade targets but Marlon Byrd won’t cost shit and he’s better than Frenchie/Tanaka/Torres/Blanco. Pull off that trade and I’ll at least feel like Sabean hasn’t given up on the season…….

19. twinfan1 said, on July 24, 2013 at 3:52 pm

You said our *top two prospects* plus 2 more bodies, didn’t you? No BFD because Sabean would never do that anyway…

1. Gregor Blanco (L) CF

2. Marco Scutaro (R) 2B

3. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B

4. Hunter Pence (R) RF

5. Brandon Belt (L) 1B

6. Jeff Francoeur (R) LF

7. Brandon Crawford (L) SS

8. Guillermo Quiroz (R) C

9. Chad Gaudin (R) P

• Flavor said, on July 24, 2013 at 4:32 pm

OUR top 2 prospects are not necessarily *two top prospects*.

• twinfan1 said, on July 24, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Well, as you said, we’ll see what they get. So far we only only know that they’re asking for a #1 package for a number 3 or 4 pitcher.

20. twinfan1 said, on July 24, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Everybody is concentrating on LF, mostly Torres/Blanco- who have both performed as well or better than most observers expected . Byrd, Smyrd… if Panda, Pence, Scooter and 3/5 of the starting rotation don’t play/pitch better Mike Trout wouldn’t help them…
    And I’m over my limit, enjoy the game…
    Oh, BTW> I’d take Wheezy back in a nanosecond.

21. Flavor said, on July 24, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Flavor said, on May 21, 2013 at 5:24 pm (Edit)
    I agree with Blade’s comment above (“why fucking wait?”). I understand all the yatta yatta about teams not feeling out of it, not wanting to irritate the fan base, etc….
    But Sabean has acted quickly before, most notably the last couple of off seasons. And if Sabes and Bochy do the math, it’s not like they get to plug Voggy right back into the rotation 6 weeks from today and have him pick up right where he left off (in this last, single game that he pitched well).
    Besides, with the rotation problems we have had all year, trading for someone NOW is the way to go with this. I’ll use Bud Norris as an example— one way or the other, if Voggy comes back strong or not, Bud Norris will be integral to the success or failure of the team this year.
    And for a team like the Astros, he’s a perfect May target. Throw Crick, Bond and Blackburn at the Astros, they’d gobble that up in a nano-second. Norris is making 3 mil this year (nothing to us but everything to the (L)astros and he’s controlled through 2015.

and your response:
    twinfan1 said, on May 21, 2013 at 6:01 pm (Edit)
    It’s what you would offer that’s insane.
    In less civilized times, Sabean would be drawn and quartered for that deal. And don’t compare me to John of Walnut Creek even by inference. .
    “Norris hasn’t been doing much for his trade value thus far in 2013. Norris has a 4.32 ERA, 5.9 K/9, 3.2 BB/9 and only a 38.8% ground ball rate through his first nine starts. He is also facing some injury uncertainty, as the righty left his most recent start with back spasms. While Norris is the Astros’ nominal ace, he would receive a trade return befitting a fourth or fifth starter, so Houston might feel like Norris has more short-term value to them on the mound than he would as trade bait.”
    They could get him for FAR less than your offer.

and no they couldn’t get him for less, in fact Crick and Blackburn might not be enough. But you’ll see when he finally gets traded.

• WilcoJoe said, on July 24, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I was at the ‘Stros- A’s game today and got to see Norris’s likely last start as a Lastro….I do think Houston will get two top prospects for him, but it won’t be to the Giants…Be patient, he still has a lot of good years left in him and he WANTS to be a Giant. My money says his first FA contract in a couple years is with us.

• WilcoJoe said, on July 24, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I posted the quote he gave last month here about wanting to play for his hometown team…He took a lot of shit for saying that in the local media in Houston.

• Flavor said, on July 24, 2013 at 6:31 pm

my best bud (The A’s fan) was at that game today. He said the stadium is very nice inside and that Cespedes’ at bats were putrid. Where were you sitting, I’ll find out if you guys were near each other.

• WilcoJoe said, on July 24, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I was in section 112…about 15 rows behind the A’s dugout.

• Flavor said, on July 24, 2013 at 6:53 pm

thanks, I sent him the info. He might be flying home right now, not sure. It’s would be rad if you guys were near eachother. Flap/Flavor worlds colliding! Hey, how’s Orange Sombrero Night looking? I’m pretty sure tix will be easy to get, lol

• WilcoJoe said, on July 24, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I don’t know…I may be changing employers and if so that may put a wrinkle in things…May be a last minute decision.

22. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 24, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Baseball is so weird, or maybe it’s just my own fickleness. The Giants take two or three in a row or get under 5 games behind and I’ll say they are sizzling, like the Rays. Keep losing, and I’m looking for the gas pipe. Last night felt like it was a huge win. But, how long. Oh, just shut up, Pawlie. Just calm down. You know better. It’s a very long season. Go back to basking, self.

• Nipper said, on July 24, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Go ahead be fickle, you’re not alone.

23. paulinasia said, on July 24, 2013 at 6:15 pm

It’s the fact that they’re still within 6 or so games of the division that allows hope and interest. Their record, and often enough their play on the field, don’t equal a playoff team, at this point. They’re one bad stretch again from disappearing. They’re also only one really good stretch or two from getting above .500 and playing catch-up most likely with LA. Still the potential for an exciting last 2 months of the regular season. And yeah, I’m guessin’ Sabean will make a move that doesn’t seem huge but somehow helps the cause.

24. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 6:31 pm

This is my first day without television. I made my stand against DirectTV (my credits had expired with them and accordingly, my monthly bill went up significantly) . . . I will wait for them to send me the “new customer” deal 1-2 months down the line. LMAO.

Anywho, the only downside is that I have this awesome new big screen 3D television and nothing to watch.
    ;-(

• Flavor said, on July 24, 2013 at 6:35 pm

can’t you feed your lap top into it?

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I am trying to find a “live feed” for the Giants game. Kos my usual source is not streaming right now. Sigh.

• WilcoJoe said, on July 24, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Blade, you know the MLB package for your computer is only $99 a year…For an extra $20 you can watch the games on any of your other devices…I have had the Extra Innings Tv package in the past, but I think the MLB.com deal is pretty tough to beat.

• WilcoJoe said, on July 24, 2013 at 6:51 pm

FYI, the extra innings tv package is doing a free preview this week.

25. Flavor said, on July 24, 2013 at 6:49 pm

have you ever fiddled around with vipbox? I’m not endorsing it, I’ve just watched my buddy at work watch pretty much whatever he wants for free. There’s a lot of hovering over *x* and clicking through shit, I don’t mess with it. But whenever I want to watch part of a game at work, he clicks around a bunch of boxes and gets me to what I want to see. Like I said, I wouldn’t try it by myself, but he’s hooked me up many times. It’s got something to do with no clicking on the ads, waiting, and then hovering and clicking on the tiny *x* and there’s usually 4 or 5 links within the website you have to click on to get to where you want to go…….

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Yeah, usually someone on Kos’s site provides the link and you do exactly what you just said. I have used it before and am going to first try Wilco’s extra innings package first. I definitely don’t want to download a viewer, which VIP wants you to do (like you said if you wait, you can still see the game without the cookie infested viewer they want you to download).

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Sheesh, thanks Joe, but they want to know everything about me, plus they want my first born as well. LOL. Too much of a pain right to deal with right now, so I am going to pass on MLB EI . . . On VIP now. Waiting for all the “hovering shit to go away” while Amy blathers away.

• eddacker said, on July 24, 2013 at 10:50 pm

There is an advantage to the MLB package, wicth currently is $79.99 for the rest of the season. You can watch every team every game and you can watch an archive of every game already played. You can, for free, watch the condensed game a few hours after a game ends. Unfortunately this includes Rockies games, but you are not required to watch them.

🙂

26. WilcoJoe said, on July 24, 2013 at 6:59 pm

There is a carriage dispute taking place in Houston, in which only Comcast customers can watch Astros and Rockets games…Things have gotten so bad, that Directv and Dish customers are being given the NFL and MLB packages for free, just so they don’t switch to Comcast….Now that the Rockets have landed Howard, my guess is it ends the day before tipoff…I couldn’t give a fuck…Give me the MLB and NFL for free, lower my bill, and I am laughing all the way to the lazy boy.

27. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Pedroia is on one of my FL teams and I think he has that 100 million dollar contract on his mind because he has been the shits for the last couple of games.

28. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 7:14 pm

LOL . . . Kos came through and I am watching the game. Now the Giants have to do their part and win. 😉

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 24, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I’m getting free and legit, which is just not as cool as Kos. Fuckyou, Francoeur or however you spell it.

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I see MrBillBillBill in there occasionally, but I am silent when I am in there and besides, when I do try to chat in the room, I lose the signal for some reason and they send me to a page to sign in. Go figure.

29. Macdog said, on July 24, 2013 at 7:20 pm

This Dodgers streak is now ridiculous. CF Rasmus just made about as boneheaded a play as its gets in the 9th to let the Dodgers score the tying run.

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Couple that with Puig just going yard. Fuck.

30. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 24, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Still getting free MLB Extra Innings from Time Warner here, for maybe another day. Just got me to see fuckhead frenchy fucskter Francoeuer fuck up left field. Go back to the Royals, Jeff.

31. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 24, 2013 at 7:26 pm

I’m in a sour mood, solved ONLY by a Giants W. Fuck you, too.

32. Flavor said, on July 24, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Wilco– I love this shit. Below is a text from The Boney One…

“We were probably 30 ft from each other. I was in row 7, behind A’s dugout, section next to him. “

• WilcoJoe said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Crazy shit!

33. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Total rout now with the Bums and Toronto (8-3 Dodgers). So much for help around the league. Pffft.

34. Macdog said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Have the Giants gotten a 1-2-3 inning at all this series?

35. Flavor said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:07 pm

2 of them fu k that up? Pathetic

36. Macdog said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Giants croquet.

37. Flavor said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:19 pm

If Posey isn’t playing, our offense suffers massive consequences. It doesn’t matter much what Gaudin is doing, he could be squeezing tits at the ER or giving up 4 thru 3. If no one hits, we’re fucked

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Flav, I sent you an email.

38. willedav said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Flav, re: your 3:49, I just don’t see it. giants have the 10th best record in the league, 4th in the division. WC is highly unlikely, so you have to win the division and climb past a few clubs.
    Giants last few years have been really tough on everyone at home–Mets (one of few teams with worse record than SF) took it to us, and now Reds (a much better one) are doing the same. Giants have a truly awful record on the road, and really against everyone not in the NL West.
    If Giants were playing the Pads for next couple weeks, I’d feel different…tho not about Marlon Byrd, one yr fluke with not much shelf life. I’d rather see Peguero.

39. willedav said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:30 pm

LA’s record is now 53-47, 6 over. If they play .500 ball for last 62 they will have 85 wins. SF, by contrast, would have to win 39 of next 62 just to tie in that case. Bud Norris is not gonna make near that much of a difference, unless entire team starts hitting like they did end of last year, imo.

40. salty said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Wtf is wrong with these clowns?

41. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:34 pm

“Right now” is not the operative word K and K . . . They have looked sloppy in the field all season.

42. Macdog said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Oh man, I just saw the Hudson play. It’s not for the squeamish.

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Worse than Theisman?

• Macdog said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:39 pm

It’s bad, but nothing compares to that.

43. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Fucking easy pop up for Blanco, where yes, you did have to run a bit, but you certainly didn’t have to insert drama with a slide.

44. paulinasia said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Yeah, Craig, I’m in town for another couple of weeks. Got tix to Friday night’s game against the Cubbies. Wondering if any other Flappers are going…

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Damn, I wish I was going to be in town Paul. I wont be there until the 16th. Where do you go from here, e.g., Vietnam, China, Cambodia, Thailand (as Homer would say, “mmmmmmmmm . . . Thailand.”). 🙂

• paulinasia said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Steve, I leave here around the 12th.. yes, Thailand for a week or so to “center myself” before heading on to teach at uni in Kunming, China… I’ll think of you when I’m patrolling Sukhumvit…

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 8:48 pm

LMAO. Envious here. Very envious . . .

• Flavor said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I’m not but I’ll email you, maybe we can hook up b4 gm or other night

• paulinasia said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Sounds good, Craig..

45. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Figures. A pop up by the Panda.

• willedav said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:14 pm

yeah that one hurt. Looked like he swung at (first) pitch in on the hands….sacks full with a 5 run lead, you figure P is gonna throw a strike.

46. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Anyone still here? Place is a morgue . . . just like the Phone Park. 🙂

• xoot said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I generally hang on to the bitter end. Damn this season is a tough one. Still, hang on.

Back in 2008 they brought Pablo up in Sept. and generated some late season interest while losing 90. I went to one game, vs. the Pirates, where Pablo hit a LD that knocked the CF out cold. Hell, I can remember watching Shawn Estes when he was called up in Sept., the end of a dismal season. His curve ball was terrific. My 5 year old son and I loved watching those games on channel 2, on our shitty no definition tv.

Maybe expectations have changed . . . .

• James said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Indeed. Great post.

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I remember back in the 60s when a 24 inch TV was a big screen. Seriously.

47. James said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:07 pm

“Looking for a consecutive quality start.” When that’s your promo tag line, it’s time to change the September New York vacation plans.

48. Alleykat said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Way to be undisciplined Panda!!
    Leake was leaking,baseloaded after nearly plucking Scoots with his wildness, and you hack 1st pitch jam shot to kill any chance to get back in this game.

49. James said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Amy is way better looking than Syndal, I don’t care what the stats say.

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Yeah, but she needs to give that Giants orange coat to a homeless woman. She has worn it a few times and it’s the ugliest coat I have seen in quite some time. Sheesh, putting a Giants logo on it might even improve it.

50. James said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:14 pm

The crab sandwich is not worth the $15. The High West Double Rye Manhattan at the Public House is, especially if you enjoy it before the Giants get their ass kicked.

• Alleykat said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Let’s see, a Double Rye Manhattan or watching the Giants get their asses kicked?
      Bartender James, Line em up!!!

• blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Last time I was there, they had a two-tier crab sandwich menu . . . If I recall correctly, one was the $15 one you mentioned and then another one (no idea if it was more expensive or less). Anywho, both weren’t worth it, even though I splurged on one just to say I had one.

51. willedav said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:17 pm

From all the crowd shots (numbers of concession guys?), I get the impression K and K would just as soon not watch what is actually happening on the field.

52. willedav said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Wonder if Mike Leake could go babe ruth and play LF on his days off?
    That was a shot he hit off Mijares. Miller said earlier on radio he hit .295 last year and .300 his rookie year if I remember right. This guy I’d rather have than Frenchy out there.

• willedav said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:27 pm

” days off” meaning btw starts. You could use him as a PH, and then double switch him into the OF.
      Holy crap…Votto hit that a legit 421 off the sign.

• James said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Maybe he could go Curt Flood one better, and be the ultimate free agent by signing contracts with 2 teams?

53. Alleykat said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Giants have 10 hits off Leake, but what good does that do when their 1-8 Risp.
    Oh a start of another nightmare inning…
    leadoff triple for Votto, run scoring single by Phillips, yeah this team knows how to knock in runs unlike are pathetic bunch.

54. zumiee said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Flipping the channels, I could have sworn one of the news channels had the headline: “Pressure Building On Weiner.”

55. blade3colorado said, on July 24, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I wish I could take credit for this gem, but someone in the Kos room I am in (watching the game) said this . . .

“I have a new theory about this season. The Giants are just bad at playing baseball. I’ve been working on this theory for awhile.” 😉

56. James said, on July 24, 2013 at 10:06 pm

What the fuck, Kuip, Belt was supposed to swing at a low outside pitch, after you had predicted that Leake would throw it down the middle? Fuck you, you ignorant fuckwad. God, I hate stupidity.

Ok, I feel a little better.

57. zumiee said, on July 24, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Frenchy…..pffffffffft….

58. Chico said, on July 24, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Atrocious with RISP. Fucking horrible.

59. Bozo said, on July 24, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Ouch.

60. James said, on July 24, 2013 at 10:47 pm

And yet, if the pitching was anywhere near where it should be, no one would even notice this stat. This game could be tied at 3 right now. The Reds are having a great season because they have had great pitching to go with a fair offense.

• unca_chuck said, on July 24, 2013 at 10:51 pm

The problem with these stats is the Giants were playing worlds better the first 2.5 months of the season. They’ve cratered these past 6 weeks.

THe pitching has been decent enough. The defense and hitting is flat dogshit. Lately.

• James said, on July 24, 2013 at 10:55 pm

No, that isn’t right Chuck. The pitching has been just as bad, while the offense has dropped off. The team ERA has not improved one bit.

• unca_chuck said, on July 24, 2013 at 11:05 pm

I certainly don’t agree. Early on the Giants were scoring runs. Now they aren’t. The pitching was worse, but was compensated by the good hitting. Now they aren’t scoring, and the defense is not helping. Tonight’s game is a prime example. In the end the pitching got hammered, but the miscues in the OF, and the missed opportunities with 37 men LOB adds up to another game where the Giants could have limited the damage and done some of their own with the vast amount of chances they had.

When you outhit a team 10 to 8, and the scoreboard says 8-1 in the other team’s favor, a big part of the problem is the hitting. Throw in the Laurel and Hardy antics in the outfield and let the hilarity ensue.

• James said, on July 24, 2013 at 11:10 pm

The team ERA is 4.45 over the last 28 days. That is not because of shitty defense. That is horrible pitching.

61. unca_chuck said, on July 24, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Any hope for this team is dashed by pathetic, desultory efforts like this one. Errors, bad situational hitting, wasted opportunities, and watching line drives from the other team fly around your home park should elicit a little more than the nothing these guys are showing.

Fuck ’em.

• eddacker said, on July 24, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Do not know why, but I am agreeing with everything you have been saying the last two weeks.

• unca_chuck said, on July 24, 2013 at 11:00 pm

You know what they say. A broken clock’s right a couple times a day . . .

62. eddacker said, on July 24, 2013 at 11:01 pm

A series split would have been grand. I guess playing/pitching AAA guys does not a contender make.
    Another loss and I am having twin flavkocakbladahjimchi zooming up-chucks.
    Another California sunny day in Robin Hoodsville and I will walk around bummed. People will ask and I will not be able to explain.

63. xoot said, on July 24, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Bitter end, for sure. I guess I’m watching the post-game show just to see how much I can endure. Greg Pappa and his “earnies”; Shawn Estes and virtually everything he says. Torture. Wonder why they’re not out by the Willie Mays statue doing the show, huh?

64. unca_chuck said, on July 24, 2013 at 11:08 pm

At some point (and I stopped watching when the Giants couldn’t score with the bases full and no outs) the fans will turn. I just wonder when. I’d be hard-pressed not to be booing the shit out of ‘efforts’ like tonight’s. They looked bored and non-committal. Gaudin pitched fine until the horror-show erupted behind him.

• willedav said, on July 25, 2013 at 7:04 am

Mmmm, Groper couldn’t pull his head out, Reds guy did.
      Lincecum got hammered and Kontos couldn’t help.
      Surkamp got hammered too.
      Zito, given a 4-0 lead, couldn’t go 5 innings for the W Giants did get.
      If the SPs give you a chance and keep the other team down maybe these games are different, more like the games vs. AZ when SF won 2 of 3.
      But they only seem to be able to do that vs. NL West these days.

65. Nipper said, on July 25, 2013 at 1:38 am

BLEEP this season.

66. Salty said, on July 25, 2013 at 9:36 am

Why in the hell would Wilson even want to return to this sad state of affairs? I always felt he would want to pitch against the G’s after they refused to offer him arb. Now believe he’ll be strictly looking at a list of contenders.

67. Nipper said, on July 25, 2013 at 11:00 am

At least Willie D is still thoughtful. Must be his coffee. There’s always Niners camp to follow. Oh yeah it’s only practice!

68. zumiee said, on July 25, 2013 at 2:59 pm

New post.

69. aidan said, on July 31, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Useful information shared..Iam content to read this write-up..thanks for giving us nice info.Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.