A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Things More Fun to Think About Than the 49ers

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 16, 2013

Though I am still disgusted and embarrassed from last night’s pathetic Niner game, I can still find reasons to swell with some pride thanks to the Giants:

1) We are now in 3rd place. Questfor4th was inaccurately named.

2) We took 3 of 4 from The LA Art Dealers and it should have been a sweep. As I said during their 48-8 streak (or whatever it was), this team is going down in the first round of the playoffs. Although part of me wants to see the A’s beat them in World Series.

3) Hunter Pence is a man-child. Pay him whatever he desires. I think I felt the same way about Randy Winn after he went insane for a month back in ’05 or whatever it was.

1. zumiee said, on September 16, 2013 at 9:01 am

I have pondered James’ insights regarding hot/cold streaks, and I think I understand it better now, although a part of me can’t agree fully with it all. (grin)
    James beliefs are something like this, I think:
    All hot and cold streaks are random, and it just so happens that Pence is having a massive hot streak now, and helping to carry the team. Earlier in the season when Pence was struggling, it’s not Pence’s fault that no one else was having THEIR big hot streak, and helping to carry the team, and thus “picking up” Pence.
    So therefore, Pence’s season-ending stats will accurately reflect a very good season from Pence.

I see that point better now. It took a while for it to sink in. I guess it’s just hard for me to “experience” sports that way. It’s probably too counter-intuitive to the way I perceive sports. Maybe I need a few more years to get there. (grin)

• zumiee said, on September 16, 2013 at 9:34 am

Paul-in-Asia made a strong case for the way I feel about it. Both sides make good points.

2. chipower9 said, on September 16, 2013 at 9:52 am

Zumie posted on the Book that “they need to re-sign him to a 4 or 5 year deal.”

My reply was that “I know he (Pence) would never sign for 3/option. 4 and an option would be awesome. I could live with 5, but prefer 4 and an option.”

I will be very surprised if he is NOT re-signed…it will be interesting to see what he gets for duration and per-year coin, but regardless…they really must bring him back.

• twinfan1 said, on September 16, 2013 at 10:14 am

what’s the ‘book’?

• chipower9 said, on September 16, 2013 at 11:46 am

Ah, just using someone else’s slang for Facebook…

• twinfan1 said, on September 16, 2013 at 2:00 pm

i’m relieved that it wasn’t *the* Book. it reminds me, though. i forgot to ‘like’ airport appliance on facebook.

3. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 16, 2013 at 10:04 am

Did you create the term LA Art Dealers? I just love it. (Speaking of art dealers, my niece has posh seats at Citi Field and sent a picture of her and Jeffrey Loria yesterday or Saturday to her mom. It got to me without the photo attachment. I was relieved. Relieved? One might want to relieve himself on thuggish, fraudish art dealers, might not one?)

4. twinfan1 said, on September 16, 2013 at 10:04 am

Niners- fortunately there aren’t many defenses as good as the seahawks. but my god that was ugly. chuck-i’m just a lurker on your blog now, but congrats for banning that disgusting odb creature.
    i’d love to see the bums bounced early, but they have the pitching to go all the way.
    winn- he suffered from the ‘corner outfielder power fetish’. from 2005-2008 he was a good player for us. if he’d played cf his rep would be better. very unfairly maligned.
    pence- james has said it well, reiterating a truth i’ve also commented on -‘Pence’s individual stats are in no way diminished because he happened to do very well in September in a down year. It’s all random.’ pence had a dismal june but he’s clearly the team mvp and likely willie mac winner ( although i could see pagan getting it for coming back this year when he could have shut it down with the team was out of it). he seems sincere when he says he wants to be here. at one point, baggarly notes, 4 years at 15 per was a good offer. now-‘Four and $60 million is looking more like the wine cellar now – especially since losing him would leave the Giants in need of two everyday corner outfielders, with Angel Pagan, the only holdover, coming off major hamstring surgery.’
    he’s become an absolute must sign at whatever the cost- his year to year consistency, defense, and character make him as safe a bet as any long term contract recipient can be- injury is always the great unknown. i was on the fence about this myself about this but he’s now the best free agent outfielder and that’s what we need- nothing less. show the man the money.

5. snarkk said, on September 16, 2013 at 10:05 am

It’s unfortunate for the Giants, in need of two OF positions with no internal help in sight to speak of, that the FA OFer market this offseason is so thin. They almost have to re-sign Pence, and he will cost a ton now. He’ll likely be hideously overpaid the last couple years of his new deal. Those 20+ infield hits he gets now will probably be down to 7 or 8, steals will be down to single digits, too. Homers maybe in the high teens. He’ll still be able to field pretty well. They’ll have to pay him for 5 with a 6th year option, is my guess, to compete. He said mid-season he was willing to be traded, then come back here to re-sign. That good vibe won’t prohibit him for holding them up for some big cash. After this salary drive, if he doesn’t wait to get FA offers after the WS is over to push up the ante, he’s crazy for the Giants, or just plain wild-eyed crazy…

• twinfan1 said, on September 16, 2013 at 10:29 am

well, i think it’s a mite early to be concerned about what he might do in the last couple years of his yet to be determined contract length. and it’s the earlier years of a long term contract that are of more concern anyway. it’s also a reality that ‘market uncertainty’, as is the case now, will increase the chance of a
      player receiving a long-term contract. and his relative youth plays a part as well. it’s a no brainer.

6. snarkk said, on September 16, 2013 at 10:19 am

Zum, I alread had read yesterday that interview with Linda Rondstadt, that you linked in the previous thread. Nice. Hard to believe she’s 67 and now has Parkinson’s. Sad, that. And, when idiots dump on her for looking 67 and a bit pudgy, sheezus, other than Blade, not many are looking as good or better now compared to when they were 27. Plus, who knows what drugs she’s on for Parkinsons. When I was in college in the ’70s, she was just smokin’ hot, I had all her albums. What a voice. Nothin’ like her speaking voice, which was softer and arguably a bit nasal. She was smart, read books, could way more than hold her own in intellectual interview situations. Politically aware. I voted for Brown just because he was boinking her. The opposite of an airhead rock singer. She’s not in the Rock n’ Roll HOF, I guess they don’t know what to do with her. Not that it matters, but still, how is that possible? Went on to do great work with standards, Mexican songs, and kids stuff, too. I’d liken her to a female Sinatra. Here’s a version of Desperado. The lighting’s not great, but it’s live, and wow, she nails it… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAK5Ids7l5g

• twinfan1 said, on September 16, 2013 at 10:43 am

i saw her interview with diane sawyer last week, it was great.

7. blade3colorado said, on September 16, 2013 at 10:59 am

“‘questforfourth’- never did see why that was thought of as the goal. third is bad enough.”

Just my take – and Flav or anyone else can pipe in if I am off base – Having written a blog, I struggle with the subject headline and content for my blog. It boggles my mind that Flavor comes up with a subject to write about day in and day out. Sure, I did this day in and day out for four months plus during my RTW trip; but I would fail miserably trying doing it for 5-6 years, as Flav has done. Also, he has rarely taken a break or the easy way out. By “easy way out,” let me tell you about a scathing (but not personal or mean) email I received from him, when I posted a couple of threads that were little more than a line-up and literally, “yada, yada, yada.” Umm, he wasn’t too happy. Why? Simply because he wants his blog to be the best. Second or third place is simply not good enough for his blog. I agree. By the by, he normally writes these blog threads between 5am and 8am, when most people are still counting sheep and/or are discombobulated because they haven’t had their second cup of coffee yet.

So, when he wrote the thread, “Quest For Fourth,” in my mind that was a clever way of saying a few things, including: The Giants still have goals to accomplish here; we have quite a few division games to still play, so let’s not roll over; and, I (Flavor) can use this topic as a spring board for other threads. I am certain Flavor has additional reasons why he wrote the aforementioned thread that I have not mentioned.

Yeah, it could have been “Quest For Third,” but remember we were in last place behind the 4th place team. Old saying, “How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.” 🙂

8. snarkk said, on September 16, 2013 at 11:06 am

I didn’t and don’t really care what place the Giants end up, so long as it’s not last. All I wanted these last 6 weeks was to stop the sleepwalk playing, and just play good baseball. Good starts, good D, hit the cutoff man, go from first to third on a hit in the corner, don’t get caught in a rundown, get a two out RBI knock now and again, etc. Just play ball, fer kreissakes. Finally they’re doing that. And, winning games. Amazing how those go together…

9. Flavor said, on September 16, 2013 at 11:08 am

Questfor4th is a play off the Niners Ouestfor6 that made the rounds last year. It was a clever, humorous way for me to note how shitty we were this year. I thought most people got it.I also invented the phrase because no one remembers who comes in 2nd to last place.
    The LA Art Dealers: I had read an article the Blade linked and the writer made a reference to the LA ownership operating more like art dealers than businessmen. I liked that take so I re-named their team.

• twinfan1 said, on September 16, 2013 at 11:20 am

i wasn’t criticizing the witty thread, just that i always saw 3rd as an entirely reachable goal. in any case, as bf says, it does turn out be inaccurately named. finishing below the ‘terrible’ sherpas and craig’s choice as ‘terrible’, the friars. would be, well, terrible. what was strange was that many did come to think that 4th was goal now.

10. snarkk said, on September 16, 2013 at 11:19 am

Looking this morning at the stats, Belt is easily in the top 4 to 6 for most offensive categories for NL first basemen. And, he generally has 50 to 75 fewer ABs than the other top guys due to the idiotic platooning he gets for Posey and some LHPs. Tied for 4th in fielding, again with at least 150 fewer chances than the other top starting guys. Anyway you slice it, Belt has to be considered in the top 5 of NL first basemen this season. Next year, he should do at least as well, I should think, and will probably lower his strikeout percentage. Were Sabes to sign this Abreu guy out of Cuba, he better be the real deal like a Cepeda, since he only can play first. Because Belt would probably be an average fielding LFer…

11. zumiee said, on September 16, 2013 at 11:21 am

Well said, guys.
    The title “Quest For Fourth,” at the time, was FUNNY. It had just the right dark humor at just the right moment. It made light of our despair, and thus eased the despair.

12. zumiee said, on September 16, 2013 at 11:23 am

And frankly, if the baseball gods offered 4th place right now, for the season, I’d be darned tempted to take it.

• blade3colorado said, on September 16, 2013 at 11:33 am

Well, I agree with what Twin said, i.e., I’m a damn greedy person and I like 3rd a lot better than 4th. Ideally, this discussion wouldn’t even come up this year, but as delusional as I can be, I do recognize 2nd and 1st is a “bridge too far” (if not already mathematically impossible. James?). Anywho, I’m hoping the Baseball Gods give us 3rd, with the Friars in 4th and the Sherpa luge team in last.

• chipower9 said, on September 16, 2013 at 11:58 am

7.5 back with 12 to play (from 2nd place)…not mathematically eliminated, but pretty damned close. But fully eliminated from winning the division.

I got the “Quest for Fourth” thing, and have said for a month-plus that 3rd looked totally plausable (we were only 3 or so back of the Rox at that time). But overall, I’m with snarkk (and probably all other Flappers) in that I really don’t care what place they end up, as long as it isn’t LAST PLACE.

• twinfan1 said, on September 16, 2013 at 12:04 pm

they are eliminated from finishing first and eliminated in wild card race but do have a mathematical chance at second.
        but i do think 3rd is entirely reasonable since we currently occupy that spot, leading by an insurmountable one percentage point..

• twinfan1 said, on September 16, 2013 at 12:12 pm

didn’t see chi’s comment but i do think it’s important that they finish as high as possible. 4th would now be a disappointment, imo, and i’m pretty sure that the players feel that way. they sure aren”t acting as if they’ve ‘checked out’.

• twinfan1 said, on September 16, 2013 at 11:34 am

i am tiring of some of you pulling up totally innocuous comments of mine as if they’re assaults on another’s comment. what i said about the ‘questforfourth’ was in no way attacking craig’s witty play on the niner’s ‘slogan’.. and i ‘got it’. fuck that. now chew on this-
      we all occasionally fall into the trap of believing that players who are thought to ‘come through when the chips are down’ ( select your own chestnut de jour), possess a ‘character gene’ or some such nonsense that seperates them from what must be presumed to be the spineless creatures who are believed to wilt when it counts.this is at the crux of the absurd notion that pence is said to have to failed early-when it *mattered*- and only came to life because he was relieved of the pressure to perform well. it’s utter claptrap, of course.

• twinfan1 said, on September 16, 2013 at 11:37 am

now that *is* an attack on some absurd comments about pence and the clutch hitter fairy tale in general.

• blade3colorado said, on September 16, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Sorry Mike. I didn’t necessarily think what you wrote was an “assault” on Flav’s thread. I was just giving my two cents with regard to my experience writing a blog and how difficult it is to come up with a topic and content. My post was probably not gracefully written as I would have liked. Easier to say it in person verbally versus writing (where you can’t see someone’s eyes or body language). Again, sorry.

• twinfan1 said, on September 16, 2013 at 12:41 pm

blade, i probably shouldn’t have said it referring to your post. some continuing comments from another flapper made me thin skinned . an example is the response to snarkk’s *extremely* harsh critisicm of posey recently.( which i agree with to some extent). if there was any rebuttal at all, it was mild and polite. if i was even remotely as critical, zumie ( in particular) would go postal on me, figuratively. this whole pagan business pisses me off,too. i was* hoping* he’d play as he has, fergawds sake. if i wasn’t inspired by his performance before he went out, i don’t think that’s unreasonable. anyway, you’ve been one of the few who even respond to my posts, and thanks for the apology.

• blade3colorado said, on September 16, 2013 at 12:51 pm

De nada. 🙂

13. snarkk said, on September 16, 2013 at 11:47 am

My guess on Pence is he ends up with the Giants at 5 years for around $80M, 6th year club option with a buyout at $3M or $4M. If they get him for less than that, they’ll be as happy as a pig in slop…

• twinfan1 said, on September 16, 2013 at 1:52 pm

i think it *might* be possible to get him for 4 by ‘overpaying’ him yearly- i like 4 years at 80 better than 5 at 80, but it may not be possible. i’m sure feelers are out on what his agent thinks the market will look like after the ws. no doubt sabean will have to blow him away to make him forego checking out other offers. 7 years 126 million? uh, wait a minute…

14. zumiee said, on September 16, 2013 at 12:48 pm

“I really don’t care what place they end up, as long as it isn’t LAST PLACE.”

I totally agree, Chi. Some breathing room between the Giants and last place would be nice.
    They’re obviously playing well at this time; but I don’t fully trust the 2013 Giants. One final thing they could do for the fans this season is to avoid last place. The fans would greatly appreciate it, and it’s something the Giants could accomplish. If they get thirdplace, all the better, but that’s not nearly as relevant as avoiding last place, IMO.

15. zumiee said, on September 16, 2013 at 12:55 pm

It was nice seeing the Giants in thirdplace in my morning newspaper (ahead of Colorado by percentage points.)
    But a big week in NY coming up, and as K&K noted, half-jokingly, lots of free time for the players in the Big Apple. I think the players will be focused on doing well, though. The games against the Yanks especially mean a lot, AL playoff-wise, and every team wants to do well against the Yanks, especially at their balllpark.

16. Irish Kevin said, on September 16, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Since we are talking about players and next year. last week I got Jim Kozamor interviewing Buster and he asked him about playing a different position. Buster said he has always been a catcher and that is where he wants to play. So for argument sake, lets say next year Belt is hitting .275-.300, where do you put Posey for his “Days off”? and I cannot believe the Giants have no one in the Minors. Where the hell do all the other teams get these young OFers. I am sick of the Giants not having someone to bring up!

• blade3colorado said, on September 16, 2013 at 2:52 pm

In my opinion Kevin, he gets a day off. None of this bullshit where he is playing 1st base. Or, is a late starter. The exception would be extra inning games or a pinch hitter in a close game. Also, Posey has significantly less value as a full time first baseman – again, in my opinion (and most experts). Besides being a poor fielder, his hitting would be good, but nothing to write home about when you compare him to other elite 1st baseman, e.g., Votto. He is ONLY unique as a catcher and therefore that’s where he should stay.

• snarkk said, on September 16, 2013 at 3:10 pm

I agree with your general considerations on this blade. But, if he didn’t play catcher, he’d probably have better numbers due to the less physically rigorous position(s) he would play. So, were he there all the time, he might rise to the offensive level of a good to standout first or third baseman…

• blade3colorado said, on September 16, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I would reconsider my position if the Giants had someone like the Twins Josmil Pinto in the minor league “cupboard.” He recently got promoted because of Mauer’s concussion/DL stint and has been lights out.

Specifically, during his brief promotion, he is slashing .405/.463 /.703 in 11 games. At this point, he has a decent chance of breaking camp with next year’s team as a backstop that would allow Minnesota to periodically shuffle Mauer and Doumit between first base and DH.

I don’t think the Giants have anyone like that.

17. snarkk said, on September 16, 2013 at 2:34 pm

IMO, Buster plays where they need/want him to play. He’s getting paid top dollar; team considerations come before his particular wants. There will come a day when he’s not playing catcher, and it’s not too long off, IMO. As for the OFers; Perez, Peguero, Kiesch, Pill, Blanco. What — you don’t see any starters in that group? ;)…

18. zumiee said, on September 16, 2013 at 3:27 pm

“this is at the crux of the absurd notion that pence is said to have to failed early-when it *mattered*- and only came to life because he was relieved of the pressure to perform well. it’s utter claptrap, of course.”

Well, of course, it’s claptrap, TF, because NO ONE EVER SAID IT.
    I have no idea why Pence is doing better now, and I never offered a theory.
    I only brought up Pence because he’s doing so well now that his season-ending stats will say he had a really good year; but he was doing lousy during the stretch where the Giants’ season was lost. That has to matter in some way, IMO. The whole team was failing, but he’s one of the few whose stats will look real good at the end of the season.
    No one here at the blog misses that, and I didn’t mean to imply that; but the overall baseball world won’t make that distinction, and I’m sure we’ll even be hearing from K&K about what a great season Pence has had.
    I didn’t get the impression that you were fully on-board with James that Pence HAS had a really good season. But maybe I misunderstood that.

19. zumiee said, on September 16, 2013 at 3:35 pm

But I’d still be very happy if the Giants signed Pence to a 4 or 5 year deal. I never meant to imply differently on that.

20. blade3colorado said, on September 16, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I’m not certain anyone at the Flap mentioned this news item which occurred on Friday:

“The Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has upheld former San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds’ obstruction of justice conviction dating back to testimony he gave to a grand jury in 2003.

Bonds attorney put out this statement:

“First and foremost I would like to thank my family, especially my children for their unyielding support and courage during this process. I would also like to thank my friends, fans and all of you who have supported me throughout my baseball career and during the past several years. Naturally, I am disappointed with today’s decision from the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. But this disappointment does not in any way diminish the profound respect and admiration I have for our justice system, the best in the world. Therefore, I have instructed my attorneys to ask the court and probation officials to permit me to begin serving my full sentence and probation immediately. Meanwhile, I also intend to seek further judicial review of the important legal issues presented by the appeal that was decided today. I would like to thank the judges and all of the hard working men and women of the 9th Circuit for the difficult work they do on behalf of our judicial system. Additionally, I want to thank my legal team for their dedication, hard work and tireless advocacy on my behalf.

This has been a long and difficult chapter in my life and I look forward to moving beyond it once I have fulfilled the penalties ordered by the court.

I thank you all again, your prayers and support have given me strength.”

However, the aforementioned was released despite what Barry really wanted to tell the court and press . . .

“You MOFOS have been dogging me for years now and as far as I am concerned you can kiss my black ass. I’m especially pissed off that you wouldn’t allow me to have my barcalounger in your damn courtroom, so I could sleep while these silly ass prosecutors rattled on. Fuck all of you! You too Bud!”

• zumiee said, on September 16, 2013 at 4:16 pm

It IS a nice barcalounger. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on September 16, 2013 at 4:43 pm

LMAO…

21. zumiee said, on September 16, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Off-topic:
    Breaking Bad,
    with SPOILER ALERT. Scroll past if you didn’t see last night’s episode yet, and are going to.

It was a rough night for Dean Norris’ character on Breaking Bad this week, and tonight things could get dicey for his character on Under The Dome. I’m guessing his Dome character makes it into next season, and Norris won’t be searching for an acting gig next year.
    This seemed kind of interesting to me about him from Wikipedia. For some reason, I wouldn’t have guessed “straight A’s in high school, and Harvard University.” It just shows how good an actor he is.

From Wiki:
    Norris was born in South Bend, Indiana, to Jack, a furniture store owner, and Rosie Norris. He has four sisters. Norris graduated from Clay High School in 1981.[2] In an interview Dean says that he got straight A’s in highschool.[3]
    He is a 1985 graduate of Harvard College, where he majored in social studies.[4][5] He also attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.[1][5]

• salty said, on September 16, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Superb riveting episode again.
      True to his word, shows creator transformed Walt from “Mr Chips to Scarface”.

• zumiee said, on September 16, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I was haunted all day today by the image of a weeping Skyler pleading with Walt: “Where is Hank?!”

• salty said, on September 16, 2013 at 6:56 pm

She’s good.

22. Bozo said, on September 16, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I don’t think we are that far off from being a championship team again. A couple of slots (corner OF, SP, bench) and signing Pence and probably Tim should do the trick. To get the missing pieces, I still say, trade Buster. You upgrade a few positions while downgrading one position the Giants don’t want him playing anyway. I know I’m the only person in the world that thinks this, but I just don’t think trading Pill is going to do the trick for us.

23. zumiee said, on September 16, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Padre pitcher gave up his first hit and baserunner in 7th inning. The Pirate broadcasters must have said ‘perfect game’ about 20 times in the last couple of innings.

24. sportdude said, on September 16, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I think things are looking up..
    But what is wrong with 4th or 5th. This year SUCKS 3rd or 5th right? We were in a pack ot teams competing (or not) for the 4thor or 5th pick. Now we are looking at picking 13th. That is a big difference. And for what?

I know there are positives for winning…but a top pick for a team just as close to returning to the top either way would be nice