Doing Nothing And Loving Every Minute of It

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 12, 2014

James Shields is the next FA on the Giants radar and I genuinely hope they don’t get him. They aren’t going to get him, he’s got like 6 teams going after him. And when we he doesn’t sign with SF I will breath a sigh of relief. A guy like Shields is someone a *0in5* team takes a chance on. It would satiate the hungry fan base (for a short time).

Shields is going to have close to 2000 innings on his arm after next season. Do you really want a guy like that for 6 more years? He’s not dominant, he’d spend what is likely one of his last healthy seasons learning the NL (remember when Zito used that excuse?) and the bottom line is that we don’t want to deal with this guy….

That cliche “the best deal is the one you don’t make” is being overused but I think it’s an appropriate description so far for our off season. I’m not bummed about a single one of these guys we haven’t signed (including the Panda).

1. Lurker John said, on December 12, 2014 at 7:39 am

Frankly, with Lester off the table, I don’t think the Giants are going to land any of the higher profile free agent pitchers. Scherzer is going to cost too much and Shields can’t have left a good impression on Giant’s management after the Series. I don’t blame the team for not wanting to commit another huge contract to a pitcher, but Scherzer sure would be nice to have in the rotation. That’d make for a hell of a front three.

Hamels would be great, but the price for him in a trade would likely keep Sabean from pulling the trigger.

• Chipower9 said, on December 12, 2014 at 9:50 am

I read this morn on a McCovey Chron piece about Hamels, and Panik was mentioned. I am sure it was this blogger blowing smoke out his ass (I hope!). To me, Panik is off limits.

2. willedav said, on December 12, 2014 at 7:47 am

Well, I think a few of them would have helped the team. If you lose Morse you need a bat for LF to replace that .800 OPS—Blanco Perez and Ishi aren’t gonna do that. What you pay out long term is less important than the front end results and Giants are flush with cash. After this year Lincecum/Hudson $30 mil is off books and stadium is dang near paid for too
    Giants still need an SP as Our Esteemed Flav himself said couple threads ago, even if they do bring back Peavy, just to get to 90 Ws and shot at playoffs. And you might need another RHP in pen if Romo goes elsewhere. Seems like 3b is either at dumpster dive or in house, though I did see the possibility mentioned they pick up a 2b and move Panik to 3b, which seems odd.

Lot of grief from Dodger fans on blogs I looked at over Kemp deal, but it’s obvious they are still coming after Giants, just from different direction, and with renewed vengeance. Their IF is pretty good offensively, they upgraded C and still have Puig along side younger guys in OF and a solid rotation, plus Jansen to close.

I know, they’ve won division last 2 yrs with nothing else to show for it while Giants have what they want. But avoiding the odd and bad penny year is still gonna take some work from Sabes and Co.

• Lurker John said, on December 12, 2014 at 8:25 am

I think moving Panik to third would be a mistake. He’s too good at second and has put a lot of work into transitioning to second from SS. I love him where he is.

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 12, 2014 at 8:16 am

I can agree with you in that signing these long term deals is not the best way to go in the long run. Even though I think we saw his best years, the Sandoval defection was a bit of a bummer for me. Still deciding whether or not to torch the panda hat for a youtube video.

4. Bozo said, on December 12, 2014 at 8:20 am

So far, the only FA I wish we would have landed was the Panda. I would try and get Morse back, spot starts and PH/DH would be ideal, a platoon if nothing else is done for LF. I think Duffy will be part of a trade package so not sure what we’ll do at 3B (I hope Arias isn’t the fallback plan).

Man, the Red Sox sure are doing it the old fashioned way.

5. zumiee said, on December 12, 2014 at 9:50 am

So the Dodgers’ whole “Yankees West” thing lasted 2 1/2 years and is pretty much on its way out now. The Giants winning the 3rd in 5 caused big changes in DodgerLand again. They now want what the Giants have: a team with grinders, who have an unstoppable will to win. Talent, too, for sure, but also a tremendous amount of competitive fire. Sabean and crew have done a great job of finding those kinds of players.

• DJLoo said, on December 12, 2014 at 10:04 am

The Dodgers makeover is getting a lot of favorable reviews from what I’ve seen.
      Still think they’ll only go as far as Ker-plunk will take them…

6. Chipower9 said, on December 12, 2014 at 9:52 am

Nice thread Flav. I am and have been with you on this (not panicking over the lack of movement). I am ready to just keep chilling the hell out and basking my ass off. Sabes and crew will get ‘er done.

7. Chipower9 said, on December 12, 2014 at 10:03 am

The latest I have read is that leaving the winter meetings, most in the know have Shields going to the Giants. Hmmmm…

Giants also kicking the tires on Asdrubal Cabrera and Jed Lowrie, with him saying he is open to playing at either 2nd or 3rd.

I prefer to see Panik stay at 2nd, but everyone says he has the arm to play 3rd, and if the team felt that he best serves them there, well with three in five, I am not arguing with them on that point.

8. Chipower9 said, on December 12, 2014 at 10:07 am

Forgot to mention that Evans said yesterday that there is not a fit with Cabrera playing 3rd…so that ship may have sailed from the shores of all things Giants…

9. Alleykat said, on December 12, 2014 at 10:12 am

Boch was on KNBR the other day and he was just chillin& still in basking mode. Nothing ruffles his feathers.
    He was talking about how he meshes with all his players during the season with all their different personalities on and off the field, and how some need to be pampered differently then others yet he has the love and obvious respect from them all.25 players 25 different approaches to handle them ,and he’ gets how it’s such a long season and grind,but he’s the ultimate babysitter to make it all come together,and win championships!! Love this guy to death, the best manager by far in the game!!!
    Orange& Black and don’t look back forever!!!

10. Flavor said, on December 12, 2014 at 11:04 am

And for those interested in such things, I updated the BBOTD for the first time since July.

• Chipower9 said, on December 12, 2014 at 11:22 am

Damn…I really liked that little hot blondie (blondie blondie drop your laundry), but I do suppose it was time for a change.

11. Chipower9 said, on December 12, 2014 at 11:58 am

A couple of the blow-hards (maybe Heyman and Onley) termed the Giants the biggest losers at the winter meetings. Well, let me see. My team just won it’s third World Series title in Five years, so those dickwads can go fuck themselves.

I truly do trust in Sabes to do what is required to make the team ready for another go next year.

• DJLoo said, on December 12, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Well they lost the most weight…

• Alleykat said, on December 12, 2014 at 12:19 pm

The real losers are the other 31 teams in baseball that don’t have the rings and championship banners hanging in their stadiums!!!
      So screw off Heyman& Olney while we still bask away!!!

• stickman said, on December 12, 2014 at 4:18 pm

31 teams? My last count was 29.

12. zumiee said, on December 12, 2014 at 12:56 pm

It’s really cheesy for Heyman and Olney to say that, and it’s because all the pundits and reporters have a vested interest in moves being made, so that they can “break stories” and whatnot, and have stuff to say, and justify their jobs. They’re miffed at the Giants for not helping them out.

13. zumiee said, on December 12, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Some of the pundits think the Cubs will compete this year for a playoff spot, based on moves made recently. LQTM.

14. Nipper said, on December 12, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Much ado about nothing. Sabean knows better. The Dodger GM has to make moves to justify his new position and maintain his reputation as a mover and shaker. Of course he wants to improve his team, who doesn’t?

15. zumiee said, on December 12, 2014 at 1:08 pm

What we never get from the pundits is any kind of reflection on how wrong they can be. So all the pundits that picked the Dodgers vs. the Angels in the ’14 World Series, or the Nats vs. the Tigers….you’d think that would give them pause being that wrong. But no, they will always go right after the shiniest nickel and the most glittering bauble. It’s like they feel like they have to be cheerleaders for the sport, or something.
    I like listening to some of them on the MLB Network, but it’s clear they’ll never “get” the Giants fully.

• Chipower9 said, on December 12, 2014 at 1:11 pm

We can only hope they never get the “Giants Way.” I prefer that our team fly under the radar, and then when the dust and smoke clears, they all say (kind of like the Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid movei)…”those guys, AGAIN?!”

We now return to your regularly scheduled bask…

16. Chipower9 said, on December 12, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Got my latest piece of Giant swag yesterday…my copy of the “SI Sportsman of the Year” issue. I have read bits and pieces online, but it was cool to sit down with that rag in my mitts and read the story. That damned Madison Bumgarner is something else…

• gianthead said, on December 12, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Sitting on my desk…ready to dive into it this weekend..

17. gianthead said, on December 12, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Everyone we have said no on as a group at large has fallen through…Shields will want top dollar, #1 starter dollars and he is a 3rd starter bat best IMO. he has been durable but Flav has his finger on this that he will have seen his best seasons behind him. A good AL pitcher is a middling NL starter. His SO to walk has stayed good, but I can’t see him agreeing to a two year deal and he ain’t worth more than 2 years.

Let someone else make the huge mistake signing him. Now Hamels is due something like $67 mill in the next 3 years, how the hell can they expect another team to take those dollars on and then expect off the top shelf talent. If they take Blackburn and Stratton and maybe this Arroyo kid (future SS to replace Rollins?), that seems a very fair deal!!!

18. Chipower9 said, on December 12, 2014 at 1:51 pm

One of my favorites from all of the post-season. Without this play, Affeldt is facing 1st and 3rd with one out.

• Bozo said, on December 12, 2014 at 2:07 pm

That was a – are you kidding me, happy dance, play.

• stickman said, on December 12, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Jaaaaysus Christ! If Asdrubal doesn’t wanna play third we’re not interested. Panik IS OUR SECOND BASEMAN.

19. DJLoo said, on December 12, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Still amazed they overturned it…

20. unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Right. Why would the talking heads promote camaraderie, chemistry, and fun? As great as this ride has been, the intangibles constantly get overlooked. There is no way you can tell me this team isn’t greater than the sum of its parts.

• unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Shot, we were the 4th best team coming out of the NL

• unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2014 at 3:37 pm

And whatever the opposite of synergy is (antergy?) the dodgers have plenty of it.

• zumiee said, on December 12, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Yeah, the Dodgers have been just the sum of their parts. The new regime may try to change that, but I don’t think you get it done by flipping players all the time, like Beane does. The players are human beings; sheesh, Gordon found out he was traded while he was at a little league event, wearing his Dodger uniform! That’s just completely messed up, on a human level.

• zumiee said, on December 12, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Excuse me….Mr. Gordon?
        -“Yeah, little man. What’s up?”
        My dad just read a tweet that says you’ve just been traded.

(awkward silence)

21. zumiee said, on December 12, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Have a great weekend, Flappers! And remember to try to look sharp!

• DJLoo said, on December 12, 2014 at 4:45 pm

He didn’t…

22. stickman said, on December 12, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Flav: Can’t agree with you on Shields. True, he clearly is no match for Bumgarner ~or Kershaw for that matter and maybe a handful of others. But if Cain returns to being any kinda horse we are looking at a #3 starter. He’s about the only one left of the FA’s who projects as a better than average third. I can’t see going all the years and $200M for Scherzer, so tell me who’s left? Peavy might be a bit long in the tooth for that role but might edge out Hudson for #4, if we go back in on him. Timmy? Who the fuck knows what we have there. Bochy did not trust him in the Post-Season. So barring a trade, Shields is the logical target. Maybe three years at a high dollar value per would do the trick.

Memo to James Shields: If you can’t beat em, join them.

23. paulinasia said, on December 12, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Out of all the *pundits* (Wiki says the word comes from Sanskrit origin “pandit”, meaning “knowledge owner”.. hah), Richard Justice seems to be one who *gets* the Giants. In his recap of the winter meetings, he gave the Giants a grade of “pending”, not “loser”, and concluded something like, if there is one sure bet in baseball, it’s that Sabean will make a couple of moves before Opening Day and they will both turn out great. Which is likely true and why most of us here aren’t worried about inaction up til now.

I like what LA has done. I’m feeling a weird sense of not blindly hating them as much. I still want them to lose, like, all the time, and never again win a championship in my lifetime, but I’m looking forward to the head-to-head matchups in 2015. Obviously their pitching will still be superb, but they lost a lot of run production (so far) in Gordon, Ramirez, and Kemp. I don’t think I realized how much I hated HanRam until he left the league to go to Boston.

24. paulinasia said, on December 12, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Re: Shields… personally, not overly impressed considered the contract he’s likely looking for. I’d rather the team just add Petit to the rotation, he’d be more useful there than as the magical long man in the ‘pen, which might well be the role for Timmy’s last gasp if he doesn’t show in springtime that he can still start…. Of course, I guess if he shows he cannot be depended on as a starter, then long man probably ain’t it either. Really hoping he’s working this winter on “fixing things” once and for all, how sweet would it be for him to be good again.

• James said, on December 12, 2014 at 9:40 pm

I fully agree on Petit. That’s two seasons in a row with some pretty remarkable stretches. He’ll probably get hammered a few more times than you’d like, but he’s shown enough at this point to reason that he’s not a fluke. Because I don’t care that much about big contracts – they are a little like the national debt, a bogeyman that’s exploited for doom and gloom scenarios that never materialize – I’d still be happy if they signed Shields for insurance. He’s been a pretty good pitcher for a while.

25. paulinasia said, on December 12, 2014 at 8:52 pm

And finally, while I’m just sittin’ here talking to myself on the Flap, one more thing. This article ranks the 6 divisions by order of “fun” in 2015. Of course our NL West is projected to be the most fun… mostly because of SF/LA, but also throwing the Padres in the mix. What would be most fun would be the G’s putting to rest the “even year” thing and repeating in 2015. Our flippin’ heads would fall off our necks from all the knowing dude head nodding….

26. DJLoo said, on December 12, 2014 at 9:06 pm

I’m a little surprised at the lack of urgency to sign Romo.
    May not be quite what he was, but he’s not so easy to replace.

27. paulinasia said, on December 12, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Yeah, Loo, the team said they would focus on “their” free agents (Romo, Voggie, Peavy, Morse, etc.) after the Pablo thing was resolved. Well….. maybe that’s the next step, making decisions on those guys before making any kind of other big splash with someone from outside the org….

28. James said, on December 12, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Romo is a remarkably undervalued player.

29. Berdj Rassam said, on December 12, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I’m not loving every minute of these guys not getting either of their top 2 targets (the Panda and Lester), or the multitude of guys after them including Santana. The Giants need a solid 3rd basemen who can play great D and have a decent stick, a very good hitting and fielding LF, and at least 1 #3 or better starting pitcher.

• sfdog said, on December 12, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Duh.

• Nipper said, on December 13, 2014 at 5:05 am

Duh 2

30. David Sanchez said, on December 13, 2014 at 5:33 pm

I was thinking the same thing.Save those picks.They should check out Correa,and Capuano.