Cain and Posey…..Still Tied

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 15, 2015

I promise, this will  be the last golf post of the year. It is really amazing what Matt Cain and Buster Posey are doing down at Pebble this week. They’re still tied, but that’s not even the half of it. First of all, they are very different golfers. Cain is a 6 and Posey is a 14. And, of course, they are paired with different pros (Posey with Watney–my pre-match predicted winner and Cain with Bettencourt).

And yet they have posted the exact same adjusted score each day: 61—66—63. Going into the final round, they are both 9 under (8 shots off the leader).

For those of you who don’t play golf, I can’t stress enough how unusual it is that they have tied 3 straight rounds in a pairing. Unfortunately, they probably won’t show more than a clip or two of them on tv today. I guarantee you the ultimately winner, if there is one today, will talk shit about this all season long in the clubhouse and probably for many, many years to come.

1. Bozo said, on February 15, 2015 at 7:22 am

Whatever the bet is, you just know its getting upped each day.

2. Nipper said, on February 15, 2015 at 7:44 am

Cain will tough it out.

• Nipper said, on February 15, 2015 at 7:46 am

At least that buffoon Murray didn’t make the cut. That would have been a joke.

• Flavor said, on February 15, 2015 at 7:48 am

You know he won it a few years ago, don’t you?

3. willedav said, on February 15, 2015 at 9:02 am

Nip, for a guy who hates golf but has made 6 posts about this event, I don’t get it.
    I actually agree with Nip about ST, too. Endless prospect stories (Gary Brown still around?) and each player who thinks they can do better than last year yada yada. Zzzz.
    I do realize there have been guys each of last few years who parlay a good spring into real time on big club, but Giants are pretty set barring injury; if Hudson wasn’t ready I guess Strick could make the club. But bench doesn’t seem any better than last year and IF depth looks like same punchless group.
    I’m not watching any of it, til Oak-SF games up here, and until team is set for Opening Day.

4. wilcojoe said, on February 15, 2015 at 11:20 am

Flav’s pick and Posey playing partner (Watney) with the early lead.

5. snarkk said, on February 15, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Going back to yesterday’s late thread, I remember, albeit a bit hazily now, those Raiders v. Chiefs rivalry games in the late 60s. Grudge matches all. Ben Davidson body slamming Lenny Dawson, and all hell breaking lose, and similar S going on all the time. They may be better, bigger athletes these days, but they don’t have anything on the intensity of the guys that came before them. Those two games were always the ones circled on the schedule for both fan bases back then — kinda like the Niners – Seattle now, only I think more intense. The Cowboys-Niners rivalry when they were both good is another that comes to mind, but even that one was not as rough and tumble as KC v Raiders. I can’t speak for the Browns/Steelers and what not, but seems to me that rivalry has usually been on paper — the teams were usually not good at the same time. For KC/Oakland, that was just some nasty stuff going on during and in between plays in a football game. Great theater, usually commentated on by the the legendary Curt Gowdy with Al DeRogatis, for the mossbacks here among us — we’ll remember that…

6. zumiee said, on February 15, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Comparing the three major pro sports in the U.S.- baseball, football, and basketball, I’ve tended to think of baseball as having the least amount of parity. But the reality is that, over the last 10 years, baseball has become the one with the most parity. Changes and tweaks done to the collective bargaining agreement in the middle of the first decade of the 2000s has had that positive effect on baseball.
    There’s a chart in the Baseball Prospectus ’15 book that shows it well.
    Percentage of returning playoff teams the next season:
    1995-2005: MLB- 59.8%, NFL- 52.5%, NBA- 76.2%, NHL- 72.5%
    2006-2014: MLB- 42.3%, NFL- 50.9%, NBA- 74.3%, NHL- 69.5%
    In MLB, the median payroll in 2004 was about $60, in 2014 it was about $100 million.

• snarkk said, on February 15, 2015 at 12:46 pm

NBA is a joke re: parity, until maybe this season. Usually only a handful of teams have a chance to be the champ. This year, seems pretty wide open, shoot, the Dubs have a shot at it. Shows what difference a good owner and good management makes…

7. zumiee said, on February 15, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Regarding Spring Training games, I’m in the group that likes them a lot. I dig how the MLB Network shows so many of the games. I like seeing the prospects that I’ve been reading about. And I just like the positive ambiance from the various broadcasts. The teams are all positive, hope springs eternal, anything’s still possible at that point. That’s the one time of the year that I actually like the interviews during the games. I like when they bring a GM or somebody into the booth, and the GM gets to wax eloquent about what they hope will happen that season. Spring Training is like watching the opening act at a concert, with the audience getting ready of the main event, the season to happen later. I’m a big one for catching the opening acts at concerts.

• wilcojoe said, on February 15, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Great post Zum. I am with you on that. Got the Lindy’s preview magazine at the store yesterday and picked up the USA Today Guide to Spring Training this morning. I am set with bathroom reading material for at least the next two weeks 😉

• Nipper said, on February 15, 2015 at 4:30 pm

That’s were it belongs…….in the bathroom! I concur.

8. Flavor said, on February 15, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Posey’s team beat Cain’s by 3 strokes. Let the shit talking begin….

• SanDawg said, on February 15, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Glad to see golf getting some run on The Flap!
      You picked Watney before the tourney started? That was a nice call. I believe Watney is from Dixon and I know he used to be a range hand at Davis Muni–the course where I learned the game.

I hope you guys are all well…looking forward to another season coming around the bend.

• snarkk said, on February 15, 2015 at 3:25 pm

There’s a lot of sandbagging that happens in that tournament. Some guy gets a 12, then you see his swing and there’s no Fing way the guy’s not at least playing to a 6 or 5…

9. Macdog said, on February 15, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Nice try Flav, but . . .

Macdog said, on February 12, 2015 at 9:46 am
    I’ll go with Brandt Snedeker.

• wilcojoe said, on February 15, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Nice call Mac!

• Flavor said, on February 15, 2015 at 4:30 pm

that’s a hell of a pick. Any time you nail a PGA winner cold, that’s a huge accomplishment.Nicely done

• Nipper said, on February 15, 2015 at 4:35 pm

With a name like that golf is DOOMED! I predict a decline although I must admit this tourney looks great in HD on a flat screen. TV has come a long way lately. Those air ship shots were beautiful.

• Alleykat said, on February 16, 2015 at 9:02 am

Yes well done MacDog,
      I picked Jason Day who made a run but in the end not good enough!
      You know Jim Furyk is now 0-10 trying to close out a tournament after leading after 54 holes, definitely not a closer on Sundays!!
      Congrats to Brandt Sendeker though a truly nice guy, and now back in the Masters well he belongs!

10. pawliekokonuts said, on February 15, 2015 at 4:50 pm

-27 wind chill, something like that. Play golf in that, folks! Nothing for stickman stixwix of the frozen north

11. xoot said, on February 15, 2015 at 6:14 pm

RIP Mr. Kim. I like the sign in the photo sfgate used. Wendell is restraining Beck from challenging someone over the no dip rule. “Hold, Shooter. Hold!”

• Flavor said, on February 15, 2015 at 6:27 pm

what a great pic

• Bozo said, on February 15, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Sad news.

12. Flavor said, on February 15, 2015 at 6:26 pm

super bummed about Kim passing. He was an all time coach

13. blade3colorado said, on February 15, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Cindy Crawford is BBOTD material Flavor . . . You be the judge:

• twinfan1 said, on February 15, 2015 at 8:53 pm

She looks like Colin Kaepernick

14. twinfan1 said, on February 15, 2015 at 8:58 pm

* Invasion of the Innings Thieves: Braulio Lara ,Nik Turley ,Cory Gearrin ,Curtis Partch

*The Cubs went out and spent big bucks this winter. Look, since they’ll never win the World Series, save the money for the lottery

* Want a Quikie divorce? Buy this for your PC: GIGABYTE GV-N980X3WA-4GD GeForce GTX 980 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready ATX 3-WAY SLI GAMING Graphics Card ONLY $2,999.99 (Plus S&H)

*Why wait? Wear your lamp shade to the party

*Worst commercial, hands down: Icky Woods going ape s h i t over cold cuts

*Panda shows up at 320, wins MVP

* Zito gets a non-roster invite to Salem Kaiser

*The Giants and Bochy have a mutual parting of the ways.. After an exhautive search in the Marina, Billy Hayes gets the job

*Why the next influx of foreign players will be Filipinos- a national dish in the Philippines is Spaghetti w/banana ketchup and chopped up hot dogs.

15. twinfan1 said, on February 16, 2015 at 9:09 am

OMG- I’ve shut down the blog!

• blade3colorado said, on February 16, 2015 at 9:17 am

LMAO . . . Good one Twin. Let’s just say that golf isn’t a big hit in Flapperland.

• twinfan1 said, on February 16, 2015 at 9:25 am

The Gase-York-Tomsula thing is yet another bizarre twist in the soap opera that is certain to go to another episode. I think that Gase might be thinking of calling Saul..

16. Alleykat said, on February 16, 2015 at 9:28 am

Anybody ketch the Mac&Murph show this morning?
    Kruk was ripping the new commish( rightfully so) for wanting to raise the strike zone higher since runs were down.
    Kruk said: “Jesus why don’t they just put it on a tee!”
    Players have enough advantages now, wearing full armour, lighter custom bats, lower mounds etc etc! It’s just ridiculous, now this?BS

17. unca_chuck said, on February 16, 2015 at 9:42 am

I’m with ya there, Mike. I mean, really. What kind of power does Tomsula hold to get the entire coaching staff fired, and then get a nearly new coaching staff fired right after that?

• twinfan1 said, on February 16, 2015 at 9:46 am

He knows where Pop York buried the bodies..

18. blade3colorado said, on February 16, 2015 at 12:13 pm

AK, regarding your comment above regarding the Commish considering a higher strike zone – He “let” a contract with Nipper and Nip indicated this rule change, along with adding a DH to the National League would prevent more fans from switching to the Golf Channel.

However, give props to the Commish, i.e., he tossed Nipper out of his office when he suggested experimenting with 2 DHs in the American league by adding the catcher’s position as a non-hitting one (along with pitchers). 🙂