Pressing or Sucking?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 15, 2015

You don’t have to look any further than this stat to know our hitters are failing: Nori Aoki OBP .488. He has scored 4 total runs.

I think Bochy is planning on resting some guys today. An appropriate response: now the players can rest along side their bats. This is frustrating, especially for the paying customers, but not totally surprising. As we know by now, Belt always starts off like crap. Blanco just should be sent to the plate this often. Crawford is in a terrible slump. And the line up obviously misses Pence and, sadly, Casey McGehee.

Today will likely yield the same results unless you’re comforted by the sight of Jo-Arias with a bat in his hands……

1. Stewart Anstead: Art (@s2anstead) said, on April 15, 2015 at 6:45 am

Isn’t baseball glorious? Spontaneous, surprising, and totally predictable!

We want wins but what we’re really paying for is theatre.
    Triumphal or comedic or tragic.
    Being frank about it: Tragedy is easier to take after a year or two of being triumphant.
    Somewhere deep down we love the pain. We need the pain. We need the play.

We have a castle to defend (AT&T).
    We have heroes (Buster) and villains (Pablo).
    We have a fearless leader (Bochy) and a knight riding in on his horse (Bum).
    Are you kidding me? Who else has that?!

It’s an odd year.
    Why spend? We eat it up anyway.
    The Giants know that.
    Baseball knows that.

Who do you recognize from the 2010 team today?
    How about 2012?
    Heck … who do you recognize on the field today?

Dang, dude … they got us where they want us.

We’ll learn from our losses, regroup, and win tomorrow.

“How can you not be romantic about baseball.” – Moneyball

Go Giants.

• Flavor said, on April 15, 2015 at 7:24 am

nice post. How’d you find The Flap?

• chipower9 said, on April 15, 2015 at 9:17 am

Concur. Nice post. Hope to see ya around more.

2. snarkk said, on April 15, 2015 at 6:52 am

This game today looks scary. Lincecum supported by a popgun lineup. If I’m Lincecum, I’m thinking the best I get today is have to throw a 7 frame shutout to get a no decision…

3. willedav said, on April 15, 2015 at 7:08 am

Blah night just not enough good things tho there were a few:
    Aoki doing his job just fine, on base 3 more times and an SB.
    Pagan with more hits, but another off line throw that wound up costing Hudson a run when Dickerson took 2b.
    Panik hit one to the wall, best swing of the night… otherwise, not good. Posey too.
    Belt hit one into water, just fall. Again his only decent swing of the night.
    After watching them last night, nothing wrong with some new blood in the LU and letting guys chill.

Don’t think they miss (or are gonna) MacG bat. Duffy has some rbis from 8 spot and did his job last night.

Arenado play was fabulous and he’s a tremendous fielder. Yes their pitching is catching the Giants at a bad time, but couple of their young position players look promising, Having a vet like Hundley behind the plate will help too. Morneau is still a very good middle order hitter behind Gonzalez and Tulowitzki.

• giants54 said, on April 15, 2015 at 7:40 am

What new blood?

We will see what Maxwell can do against LHP. Maybe Arias gets a start. Otherwise, it’s a short bench.

• chipower9 said, on April 15, 2015 at 9:21 am

Yep. New blood…that would be Duffy, Max, or Arias. And with that, I beg to differ…when this is your bench, I think you need McGehee in there.

4. Lurker John said, on April 15, 2015 at 8:23 am

Struggling, therefore pressing. A dollop of each. Last night was frustrating to watch from an offensive standpoint, but Hudson battled his ass off and somehow managed to come up with a quality start. It didn’t look like he’d get through 4 there for a while.

These offensive woes have been a consistent theme over the course of the past 5 years, championship seasons included. Watching the Mariners club the shit out of the ball the first week and a half, I can’t help but wonder how Ricky Weeks or even Nelson Cruz would’ve looked in a Giants’ uniform.

Buster had the best at bat of the game, and I got the sense he was frustrated with his AT&T warning track dinger. He cracked that ball and came up with nothing. Home run in every other park. Losing to the Rockies the first 2 games of a 3-game set, at home no less? Major suckitude.

Stewart, welcome to the Flap Universe, where Flavor is God and we are his minions. :p Good first post.

• Flavor said, on April 15, 2015 at 8:38 am

I’m not sure I’ve reached God status yet, but thanks for the put up!

5. Lurker John said, on April 15, 2015 at 8:36 am

Buck Showalter has been in a commercial recently in which he touts today’s brand of baseball as the best ever, “These are the good old days.” He may be right, but one area of the game where things have declined is the outfield assist, i.e. good outfield throwing. Being a child of the late 60’s and 70’s, I was spoiled by the likes of Clemente, Parker, Dewey Evans, not to mention Mays and many others who were lethal weapons in the outfield, firing frozen ropes from deep in the outfield to nail hapless base runners. Sure, there are still good arms in baseball, but I see more shit throws these days than ever. More than just weak, but off line and tailing away from the cutoff man or catcher. It’s bad technique if you ask me. Gotta come over the top throwing from the outfield. Can’t throw it like an infielder, but a lot of guys seem to do just that.

• unca_chuck said, on April 15, 2015 at 8:42 am

Dave Parker was awesome.

• Lurker John said, on April 15, 2015 at 9:22 am

Remember that throw he made to nail Bruce Bochte at the plate in the Seattle All Star game? Had to be about 275′ on a line and right on the money.

• chipower9 said, on April 15, 2015 at 9:24 am

Great insight, LJ, and I agree. We have seen plenty of that (poor relays, and just a plain lack of fundamentals) from our boys so far. Hopefully this too shall pass.

6. unca_chuck said, on April 15, 2015 at 8:41 am

Belt came out smoking last year till he got his finger broke.

Blanco, Crawfish, and Belt ore out . . . Timmy and the Scrubbeenies tonight? 8-2 win . . .

• Flavor said, on April 15, 2015 at 8:57 am

That’s right. I musta been thinking of the previous year

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 15, 2015 at 8:59 am

Lincecum will be fine. I mean, I don’t know if you guys have heard but he got back to working with his dad over the winter. Yup, it’s a little known fact that his pops has the secret decoder ring to his delivery. After an off season routine of a morning wake and bake and watching film Lincecum greased his mop with Dapper Dan, rubbed some of that magic pacific northwest dirt on his arm and he’s like brand f-ing new. His windup cues and release point are dialed in. All that is left to get the club winning again is a new BBOTD .

• Flavor said, on April 15, 2015 at 9:10 am

Lol. Sorry, forgot about the bbotd. Hope my God-like status doesn’t take a hit with my minions. Lqtm

• chipower9 said, on April 15, 2015 at 9:26 am

Hey, even Gods have off days, and forget shit. LMAO…

Dirt – I made the same request yesterday (new BBOTD).

8. giants54 said, on April 15, 2015 at 9:00 am

With this lineup, Buster may not see a strike.

9. chipower9 said, on April 15, 2015 at 9:30 am

Hey, I am as frustrated as any Giant fan now, but the flip-side is that it is way early, and we have not had The Reverend in the line-up at all this year. Multiple guys have been hurt and we have a short (and shitty bench…well, I would not put Duffy in the shitty category). So, I am not tripping on this shit. Long season…it is a marathon, not a 100 yard dash. As long as they can stay close until they get healthy, I think everything will be fine. And if we end up doing the even-odd year crap again, I can get my bask on even with a lousy season. Hell, all I ever wanted in this lifetime was ONE World Series title. Three? Bask on Flap Universe.

10. zumiee said, on April 15, 2015 at 9:31 am

Well, I said some positive things about Kendrick, but that didn’t mean he had to go out and get a game-winning hit.
    I’ll say this about him, though, he’s not the typical Dodger choke-artist that we’re used to seeing. He’s more like a Giant, with the mental toughness to get the job done. That was a good pick-up for the Dodgers. I still think their bullpen will be their fatal achilles heel, though, ultimately.

• Lurker John said, on April 15, 2015 at 10:38 am

The M’s are killing Giants’ fans. Two blown late leads in as many days.

• Macdog said, on April 15, 2015 at 11:02 am

That team won’t win anything as long as Rodney is their closer.

• Lurker John said, on April 15, 2015 at 11:26 am

I just meant they could be helping out the G’s right now. And Rodney converted 48 out of 51 saves last year. Granted, he’s what Earl Weaver used to call a ‘two-pack’ reliever, but a good record nonethless.

11. chipower9 said, on April 15, 2015 at 11:00 am

Yep, Aoki and Pagan have very good OBPs. Bats are not getting it done.

In all of MLB, SF is:

AVG: 13th
    OBP: 14th
    SLG: 22nd
    OPS: 17th

RISP, Less than two out: 25th (.173)
    RISP, Two out: T-15th (.194)

Yeah, our boys suck right now. But as I said earlier, it is a long year, and many key guys have been hurt. I am nowhere near hitting the panic button.

A new BBOTD will probably help smooth things out (again, not that I am superstitous, or anything).

12. Flavor said, on April 15, 2015 at 2:25 pm

For you BBOTD dwellers, if you’re an ass man, “you’re welcome” in advance…..

• willedav said, on April 15, 2015 at 7:43 pm

And there we are!
      Giants win 9-8 tonite, she stays, right?

13. Lurker John said, on April 15, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Life without parole for Aaron Hernandez. Good. Don’t drop the soap, boyo.

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 15, 2015 at 3:28 pm

LF Norichika Aoki (L)
    3B Matt Duffy (R)
    CF Angel Pagan (S)
    1B Buster Posey (R)
    RF Justin Maxwell (R)
    C Hector Sanchez (S)
    SS Joaquin Arias (R)
    2B Joe Panik (L)
    P Tim Lincecum (R)

Go Giants!

• zumiee said, on April 15, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Duffy in the 2-hole, good move. It gets the Giants’ two hottest hitters at the moment at the top of the lineup.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 15, 2015 at 3:55 pm

One good thing about McGehehe being out is an extended look for Duffy. These LUs the last few days aren’t exactly inspiring confidence though. Pence can’t get back fast enough.

• blade3colorado said, on April 15, 2015 at 4:06 pm

I have Duffy stacked with Posey in a couple of fantasy LUs tonight for that reason. Posey loves lefties like Matzek.

• Flavor said, on April 15, 2015 at 4:54 pm

you’ve got more faith than me. I don’t have a single Giant going tonight. They’re getting shut down by too many shitty pitchers right now……

15. Flavor said, on April 15, 2015 at 4:55 pm

I’d like Aaron Hernandez to have to cell up with Lawrence Phillips. Phillips, serving 30 years, just killed his celly so he’s looking for another one right now. Perfect timing!!!!!

16. Flavor said, on April 15, 2015 at 5:59 pm

If you want to read quality writing, go check out the POTD-best of page. Through the years, that page has really started to take roots. Fabulous stuff by you guys.

17. giants54 said, on April 15, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Could be worse. Francouer hitting cleanup for Philly tonight.

• blade3colorado said, on April 15, 2015 at 7:01 pm

Now that is hilarious.

18. Paul Sorensen said, on April 15, 2015 at 7:13 pm

I don’t think anybody is panicking about this offensive ineptitude; hell, we’ve seen it before, as recently as last year, and have still seen rewarding results in the end. I think it just is more puzzling and frustrating than panicking. I don’t understand why these guys would be *pressing*. They have nothing to prove (except maybe McGiggles). The last thing I thought we’d see at the start of this season would be immediate pressing, considering how this team has shown it knows how to just play and just win. The coaches, or the Reverend, or whoever is each player’s muse, need to push the reset button and get these guys into “we score (first), we win” mode already….

19. Flavor said, on April 15, 2015 at 7:28 pm

that sucks.

20. Flavor said, on April 15, 2015 at 7:30 pm

at least we don’t have to read about pussy faces, cunt lips, etc…..

21. Paul Sorensen said, on April 15, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Contagion. We need contagion. Someone, just ONE hitter, gets it going, and they all follow. What this team needs today is something like a 9-3 win.

22. Paul Sorensen said, on April 15, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Um… and patience. Contagion, and patience….

23. djloo27 said, on April 15, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Let’s face it. This team looks like shit.
    Because it is…

24. willedav said, on April 15, 2015 at 7:56 pm

OK, just me but I don’t think Hector has anything to do with how Lincecum does, good or bad. It’s all on him.

Last night Hudson threw on that was way high and Hector couldn’t grab, He did get a glove on it tho and it looked eminently catchable.

Bottom line, after watching another crummy pop tart AB vs. the struggling Rox SP with 2 guys on…I’m done with Hector.
    Imo he serves no purpose except to validate the fact that ST stats do not mean jack. He is neither a ml hitter nor adequate enough defensively to be on ml roster. Bring Susac up and put him on waivers, now, and you improve the team.

• Paul Sorensen said, on April 15, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Kinda gotta agree with you about Hector, Willie. Bad defense, close to an automatic out, NOT what this team needs. Is Susac’s finger ok now? ……

25. djloo27 said, on April 15, 2015 at 7:57 pm

And as i say every year on this day:
    Let’s just keep honoring Jackie Robinson and ignoring Larry Doby (the Buzz Aldrin of baseball)
    What a shame.

• Lurker John said, on April 15, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Great fucking point.

26. djloo27 said, on April 15, 2015 at 7:59 pm

I predict you will never see or hear from Stewart Anstead again.

27. djloo27 said, on April 15, 2015 at 8:10 pm

No complaints from me..
    3 titles is 3 more than I thought i would ever see after 47 years of loyalty.
    But this crew is going nowhere.

28. djloo27 said, on April 15, 2015 at 8:14 pm

The Jackie Robinson stuff is so overdone that it comes off more like a massive guilt trip than a tribute…

• sandog said, on April 15, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Totally agree.

29. blade3colorado said, on April 15, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Nice play Arias 🙂

30. blade3colorado said, on April 15, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Probably just my imagination, but it seems like this is the first time the crowd has had a reason to cheer since the Flag raising.

• blade3colorado said, on April 15, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Pfffttt! Carry on . . .

31. James said, on April 15, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Aoki sez if you don’t support my runs scored total, I won’t help you, either.

32. Macdog said, on April 15, 2015 at 8:58 pm

The first off day can’t come soon enough.

33. wilcojoe said, on April 15, 2015 at 9:07 pm

I love checking out the secondary market for ticket prices. It really does reflect the emotion of current fan sentiment. Just check out the deals for tomorrow nights game on Stubhub. Despite the fact that Bumgarner is pitching and they are giving out calendars, you can score lower box seats for $25.

34. unca_chuck said, on April 15, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Wow. A fucking grounder would have scored a run so natch. It goes to the pitcher on an easy hop. Buster swings at a shit pitch and DPs.

Tim throws one bad pitch and we lose. Cy Young du jour wins again.

2 runs in 27 innings to start the home season?

This season has been every mistake by us leads to 4 runs. We leave 11 on base every game.

Not freaking out, but this boring as fuck to watch ALL rallies die.

The dubs are playing a meaningless game with their scrubs and it’s a lot more fun than this.

35. blade3colorado said, on April 15, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Duffy just won me some money tonight. 🙂

36. giants54 said, on April 15, 2015 at 9:46 pm

C’mon Stanton extralite.

37. blade3colorado said, on April 15, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Right now, there is Aoki, Duffy, Pagan . . . and not much else. Need to keep Duffy in the 2 spot going forward and hope Posey, et. al., remember how to hit again.

38. Macdog said, on April 15, 2015 at 10:22 pm

I heard on the radio Craw & Panik are a combined 0-for-their-last-34 — now 35 after the Panik groundout in the 9th. Not to pin it all on those two, but jeez, no wonder they’ve lost 6 in a row.

• blade3colorado said, on April 15, 2015 at 10:28 pm

You’re right Mac. Belt, Panik, Crawford, Arias, and Sanchez are all below .200 . . . Posey leading them with his robust (NOT) .219 BA. Ugh.

39. Lurker John said, on April 15, 2015 at 10:26 pm

Panik may find himself in a River Cats uni if he keeps this up. Plug Duffy in at second and see what happens.