Historic Low?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 17, 2015

3-8 to start the season—worst start since moving to SF. Did I hear this correctly? Did they mean “since moving to AT&T?” Because I’m having a hard time processing this start as * the worst since moving to SF.* That’s a mighty long time with some awfully shitty teams sprinkled in over the years……

Ok, where does everyone stand regarding Brandon Belt? He’s been a polarizing figure here at the Flap over the years. My position, always, has been let’s see what he does beyond is sparkling OPS and OPS+. He’s been horrible this year but not noticeably more horrible than most of the rest of the hitters on the team. And we’re only 11 games into the season.

Bottom line is that I’m having a hard time getting too pumped up one way or the other about his slow start.

______________________

Just in case you want something to distract you from the shit start to this season, let’s all take a moment to remember this fantastic moment. One of my favorite Giants photos ever:

pagan1

1. willedav said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:51 am

Thing about Belt to me is this is his chance to fill in a gap when team is minus Pence.
    He gets to hit clean up as part of middle of the order and Giants have had guys on base when he’s been up, but he can’t deliver. Hardest ball he’s hit was the one that went in the water, foul. Since then, not much.
    I’m not sure what is reasonable to expect out of Belt–is he a high avg./low power guy like Wes Parker or Snow, or can he really hit 20 plus bombs a year and maybe get to .850 plus OPS like he did end of 2013.
    He’s gonna get the ABs, just has to do more with them.

I remember Baggs ragging on him one time when Freddie Freeman was in town and took a couple pitches out the yard including one to almost dead CF, and Baggs said something like, “wish SF got that kind of production out of their 1b.”
    Watching Morneau and Golds so far this week, well…

• Flavor said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:58 am

his high bb%, which I’m certainly not against, DOES mask his productivity in the sense that it gets valued too highly. I’m down with the high bb% for a power hitter as long as it comes with THE POWER. I don’t think we get enough power out of Belt….

2. wilcojoe said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:00 am

My only hope is if they do end up trading Belt, he comes here to Houston. He actually would be a great fit for the Astros, who lack a slick fielding 1b who can coax a walk and not get chided for it. With all their free swingers (Gattis and Carter specifically), he would be a perfect fit. Thr ‘stros have enough prospects to make it happen. I think a change of scenery and the chance to play in his backyard would be the best thing for Belt and ultimately the Giants. Posey will be destined for 1b soon enough.

• Lurker John said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:26 am

I wonder, though, if Posey would’ve made that nice play to throw out the runner going to second base. Forget the inning. Posey is so slow of foot that I don’t know how well he’d do at either corner infield position.

3. willedav said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:03 am

I liked Morse. I understand not re-signing him and getting OB guys, and the argument was his power and ability to hit the ball hard in the middle of the LU could be adequately replaced by Belt. I haven’t seen it.
    I have seen Panik take a couple to deepest part of the yard, Posey too, plus Crawford and Duffy hit balls out of the yard, and even Blanco scorch a triple over a guy’s head into deep CF. But Belt, no.

• giants54 said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:17 am

Think it was because he stunk in LF and had no other position here, ie 1b.

• zumiee said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:33 am

From what I understand, he didn’t want to play outfield anymore. He was looking for a firstbase job somewhere. He’d gotten a ring with the Giants, and so he had accomplished that goal in his career.

4. Lurker John said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:18 am

I left my rant about last night’s game and the start of the season in general in the last thread, but I’m starting to agree with eddacker about Belt. He seems to have all the tools but we’ve yet to see a MLB-worthy first baseman season from hime. I’m from the school that still believes you need run production from the corner infield positions, especially when you’re not getting it from somewhere else, a la Giants.

This is ridiculous. They have enough talent to hit and they do on the road, but it’s time to get it going boys. Encouraging last night was Panik’s 3 knocks and Duffy’s continued success, especially after a rough first few AB’s. He has a great approach and the plate and I love the way he battles.

5. Lurker John said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:27 am

Whatever. Go get ’em tonight, Peavey. Yikes.

6. zumiee said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:30 am

Here’s Ed’s post about Belt at the end of the last thread. I’ll take the liberty of copying it onto this thread:

“I have been all in on Belt having the tools to be Snow, Clark and a SFGs star for years to come. The years have come. Belt has shown me very little to support my support for him. It is always sad when our heroes are naked. Love his defense, not bad speed for a big guy, love his eye-sight-understanding of the strike zone love the splash hits even when they go foul. But I may have to take a breath and think again if, as a player, he will ever be any more than he is.”

7. giants54 said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:33 am

Healthy, Belt should be fine. His best year 2013, was also his only full season. He’s struggling (as Pablo did early last yr), but he’s still a legit 20 hr /800 Ops threat.
    Getting everyone back obviously key. Pence protects Posey, MCG ditto Belt. Craw gets going, they can’t dick around with Casey.

• zumiee said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:38 am

Duffy’s looking like he’s going to Wally Pip somebody in the infield.

8. zumiee said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:44 am

Two of the big new baseball books coming out soon are extensive biographies of two legendary ballplayers who were not pleasant human beings. Ty Cobb and Billy Martin. My biggest memory of Martin is when he was manager of the A’s for a few seasons. I particularly remember, at a game I was at, his meltdown while arguing a call with the homeplate ump. Martin threw his hat, kicked piles of dirt onto homeplate, and did the whole schtick. Replay review has taken away a lot of that schtick now, and that’s just fine with me.

• wilcojoe said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:51 am

A friend of the family used to be a bartender at Blackhawk Country Club in Moraga. As a kid I remember him telling some great stories about Billy Martin who would come in and drink into the wee hours of the night. He could have written a best selling book if he ever decided to share those stories in print.

• Macdog said, on April 17, 2015 at 10:28 am

I heard the author of the Martin book on NYC sports radio station the other day. Good stuff, the take I got about Martin is that he was a pretty good guy, but when he started drinking, watch out.

9. giants54 said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:45 am

There was added pressure on Belt this year with Pablo and Morse gone. There was talk of him hitting 30+ hrs to make up the diff. Then Pence goes down. And now McG is out. He and Posey are the only deep threats and that is not lost on opposing pitchers. That’s my take anyhoo…..

10. chipower9 said, on April 17, 2015 at 10:17 am

Fuck, I thought they were going to get Bruce a birthday win last night. What a suck-ass game. I paused the game when the Dbax went up in the 10th (had to go accomodate the misses), and came back to watch the G-men tie it, and ultimately lose it. Bases juiced, no out, and you can scratch out only ONE FUCKING RUN!!?? I felt like someone kicked me in the nuts.

But, I am not going to trip…we are only 11 games in.

And no, I am not going to bag on Belt. Fuck, he has a lot of company, and they say misery loves company. Check out the team stats…only four guys hitting over .243. But, it is early, right?

I still think Belt can be a 15-20 HR/70-80 RBI guy, and with his glove, I would take that. Again, it is early, and he is certainly not the only one sucking this year.

GO GIANTS!

And Go Dubs – Nail Nawlins!

11. Macdog said, on April 17, 2015 at 10:17 am

Belt certainly didn’t help his case with that putrid AB in the 10th with the bases loaded and no outs, if I remember it was much like Aoki’s where he was flailing at pitches out of the zone instead of making the pitcher throw a strike. So Belt’s 2-for-23. We know he’s not that bad, and right now he’s all we’ve got, I gotta believe he’s going to turn that around, just hope it’s sooner rather than later.

A little gripe about Bochy last night: Why did he take out Affeldt and bring in Casilla with two outs in the 10th? And yes, I’m saying this knowing Casilla served up a homer to the first batter he faced, Pollock. But it’s extra innings, there’s no one on base, and Affeldt got two groundouts on 8 pitches. There’s no need to burn relievers in a game that who knows how long it’s going to last.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 17, 2015 at 10:44 am

I thought that move was questionable at the time too. Still early though and Bochy is mixing and matching. Setting up expectations etc.

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:48 pm

That one had me scratching my head, too. We do not have access to the info Boch and crew do re: tendencies, past match-ups, etc., so it is tough to question the man. But it did seem like an odd move to me, too.

12. giants54 said, on April 17, 2015 at 10:21 am

Pitching hasn’t been good either. Long ball is killing em. Especially the 3 run hr.

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Given the injuries (Cain, Peavy, etc.) I think the pitching has been decent. Ben Hur (Heston) has had two quality outings but nothing to show for it (thanks to the ineptitude of the bats).

But, the “mistake pitch” has been a bugaboo. Giants staff has given up 8 HRs (tied for 18th with Bucs and Rays). 3.74 ERA and 1.32 WHIP isn’t stellar, but given the injuries and all, it isn’t horrible, either. I think the offense (or lack thereof) has been more of an issue than the pitching. If they had performed a bit better with RSIP, you can probably take away half of the losses so far.

13. pawliekokonuts said, on April 17, 2015 at 10:28 am

Actually this is more like the start of 2000, when we lost first seven or eight ever played at China Basin. Followed the game at 2 am after a trip to the bathroom. And Belt was the king of ST. So much for ST.

14. pawliekokonuts said, on April 17, 2015 at 10:29 am

My #3in5 poem is up at Bardball.com.

15. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2015 at 10:31 am

Well, I said that earlier. Timm throws one mistake. Boom Down by 3. Peavy? Same thing. Bummie? 2 bad pitches, 4 runs. We aren’t capitializing on other team’s mistakes at all while the opponents seem to do it every time.

I think everyone failed at one point or another in extras. Giving Belt the goat horns is fine as long as the rest of the team wears them as well.

Finding new and interesting ways to lose seems to be the deal of the day.

16. pawliekokonuts said, on April 17, 2015 at 10:41 am

Clutching onto my nondoomer role: there’s a silver lining to last night: the Giants rallied, they scrapped, they kept fighting. They got six runs.

17. gianthead said, on April 17, 2015 at 10:44 am

Imagine Nelson Cruz in this lineup? He ripped up the Dodgers’ pitching this week and is super hot. Just the kind of hitter this lineup screams for…

• Lurker John said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Exactly my sentiments last week. And he’s not bad in teh outfield. The M’s have him there on a regular basis, as well as DH and first

• blade3colorado said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Agree with you GH (and LJ) . . . Cruz has been money the last 3 years. He was cheap on FD and DK until this week. Sigh.

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 17, 2015 at 10:46 am

Belt? BELT? Dude is a slumpy shouldered pantie waste with a less than hot wife!

I think he’ll be fine.

19. blade3colorado said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:04 pm

“Duffy’s looking like he’s going to Wally Pip somebody in the infield.”

Agree Zum . . . and not necessariy Panik.

• Lurker John said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:30 pm

McGiggles?

• blade3colorado said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:42 pm

LJ, Duffy can play all infield positions and ALL of them have been flailing thus far this season.

20. blade3colorado said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:12 pm

By the by, Chi makes a good point about not singling out Belt, as there is a lot of blame to go around.

However, I still think it is very, very early in the season and the Gmen are light a few regulars. Dunno . . . For me, it’s hard to get excited after less then a dozen games played. Mostly, I am pissed about staying up for that !@#$%^&*(+ game last night. Circardian clock is all fucked up after waking up early in Denver and going to bed late in Sunnyvale. Yawn.

• unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:30 pm

†hat was me (unless I missed something earlier), but who’s counting?

• blade3colorado said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Sorry Chuck. Still delusional after yesterday.

• blade3colorado said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Aww wait – it was Chi (and you too I guess). See his 10:17am post.

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Well, it sucked being up late to see that horseshit game (but Pawlie did make a good point earlier that they did battle and scratch..AND scored SIX).

The only consolation is that I got serviced. And that can help minimize the pain with ANY ailment! 😛

21. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:31 pm

I thought we started like shit in 2000, our first year in the new building.

22. Lurker John said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Belt: 2 ribbies and we’re almost into the 3rd week of the season. Not acceptable, dude.

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Belt has company…as I mentioned earlier. There are only four on the team with more RBIs:

Duffy – 6
      Craw – 5
      Posey – 5
      Pagan – 3

So to bag on Belt alone in unacceptable IMO.

• Lurker John said, on April 17, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Duffy leads the club in RBI and is getting on base at a .353 clip. He doesn’t belong on that list. Craw is on the team largely for his defense; his 68 RBI last season was a happy bonus. Yeah, he’s stunk it up this year, but he’s not a guy the team relies on to be a big run producer. His production is gravy.

Posey has two homers and 5 RBI. He also has a .356 OBP. Is his production acceptable? Nope, but he’s showing a pulse and doing something.

Pagan is leading the team is average and is tearing up OBP (.426 and .937 OPS). He doesn’t belong on that list either. He’s doing what he’s paid to do. Duffy, Pagan and Aoki would be scoring a ton of runs if the guyus behind them were hitting better.

Belt IS a guy the team leans on to produce runs and his slash line looks like this: .087/.160/.087, miserable by any standard and highly baggable.

The whole lineup needs to improve, chi, you know that just like everyone here knows that. But Belt is on life support right now and needs to step up.

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2015 at 2:35 pm

LJ – the list was simply to show there are only four guys on the team with more RBIs than Belt…nothing more, nothing less. You were the one who pointed out Belt’s 2 RBIs is unacceptable. Well, again, he has a lot of company when it comes to sucktitude. IMO, singling him out is not acceptable…just my opinion. And also IMO, it is way too early (3rd week of the season nonwithstanding) to get excited about any of this shit. It is a long-ass season. Plenty of time for all of these guys to find their stride.

• Lurker John said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Agree chi, lots of time to get things going. Sooner would be better than later for my tastes.

23. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:44 pm

It’s early yet. Duffy (!) leads the team with 6.

We are scoring less that 3 runs per game. That’s on everyone. Everyonwe had a shot last night to win the game in extras, or even the 9th.

Just a shit start. Once we get at least McGeehee back hopefully, we’ll get some runs. Pence is missed badly.

24. zumiee said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Awesome AB by Duffy with the bases loaded after Belt’s debacle. Duffy was down 0-2 in the count and battled and eventually got an infield hit.

• blade3colorado said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:46 pm

He does that a lot. I think that’s why we all like him. Same deal with Pagain and Aoki (who I don’t know very well yet).

25. Flavor said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:46 pm

by the way, there are certain words here that get you automatically escorted to the spam filter. The c-word is one of them. Just FYI

• blade3colorado said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:55 pm

No wonder I haven’t seen some Flappers in weeks here. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2015 at 1:06 pm

DJ Loo…paging Mr. DJ Loo… 🙂

• Lurker John said, on April 17, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Ooops.

26. zumiee said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:47 pm

That inning started with Blanco getting a walk by taking all the same pitches that Aoki had swung on and struck out on in the previous inning.

27. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Aokis ab in the 9th was beyond the pale. There are times to be aggressive and There was that situation..

Take EVERY pitch until the count is against you.

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Hey…all of these fuckers have had some bad ABs. Aoki is hitting .348 with a .428 OBP. He IS doing his job. Middle of the line-up cannot drive in a fucking run to save their lives.

Only 11 games in…Only 11 games in…Only 11 games in…

• unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2015 at 1:25 pm

That was my point somewhere. I just couldn’t fathom him being in that situation and swinging at 3 pitches in the dirt.

• Lurker John said, on April 17, 2015 at 1:56 pm

I agree, Chuck. He has great numbers otherwise, but the win was right there on a platter and he boned it big time. He should’ve done just what you said. He also took swings at pitches well out of the strike zone.

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Well, he (Aoki) sure as hell wasn’t alone at swinging at those change-ups in the dirt/out of the zone.

28. ewisco said, on April 17, 2015 at 1:08 pm

The other frustrating thing is that it’s also with two outs. and after the three run homer, quick out.

• ewisco said, on April 17, 2015 at 1:11 pm

meant to be a response to Chuck’s 10:31 about pitchers giving up 3 run homers on their one bad pitch.

29. chipower9 said, on April 17, 2015 at 1:09 pm

That picture of Pagan sliding in after the inside the parker is bad ass. I had that as my desktop here at work for about a year. Love that shot.

Highest SLG and OPS on the team? El Caballo Loco…

30. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Aoki seems to be pretty dumb from what I’ve seen so far.

• chipower9 said, on April 17, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Charlie – From what do you draw that conclusion?

• sandog said, on April 17, 2015 at 3:19 pm

I think he has had multiple base-running and fielding/throwing mental errors already this year—like 6 or 7.

31. sandog said, on April 17, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Belt: I’ve been a longtime backer, but I’m losing patience. I know James won’t like the sound of this, but I’m starting to think he is simply a hard luck guy who will constantly be missing time for various injuries and ailments. I still pull hard for the guy and I used to consider him untouchable. Not any more.

Duffy: I like the guy, but I heard them say last night he hit ZERO home runs in his college career. Forgive me if I’m being too harsh, but that stat alone rules him out for every being a starting corner infielder in my book. I’m all for late bloomers and scrappy guys like David Bell without much power, but zero homers in your college career??? I guess they don’t use aluminum bats anymore, but whenever I watch a college world series game, the ball is flying over the fence like a whiffle ball game at the tennis courts at Woodland City Park. How can you go a career with zero bombs? And I doubt he was a one and done Steph Marbury guy at LBSU.
    I love the guy as a super-sub or maybe a middle infielder, but he ain’t the answer to our 3B issues.

32. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Chuck, he’s been picked off 1st base twice already. His AB was atrocious in the 9th, and he did something else that struck me as idiotic later, but I can’t remember what it was. I guess that makes me a bit of an idiot as well, but that is common knowledge.

• zumiee said, on April 17, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Maybe I’m being picky, but I didn’t like, with a runner on third earlier in the game and one out, he was trying to chop a ball to the left side, and hit it right to the shortstop, and the run couldn’t score. The ONE time you need the dude to think flyball, and he’s thinking chopper to the leftside.

33. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Duffy would be great as a super sub for the IF.

• zumiee said, on April 17, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Yeah, he could end up getting a lot of playing time doing that. Like Uribe in the ’10 season.

34. zumiee said, on April 17, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Oh, I know the thing Unca Chuck is trying to think of. Aoki stepped out of the box and called time, and the ump didn’t grant it, and the pitcher threw a strike. You’re really not supposed to step out first and THEN call time.

• unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2015 at 3:59 pm

Bingo. I think that was the first pitch too.

35. vogelsheiner said, on April 17, 2015 at 3:52 pm

That is a classic photo.

36. zumiee said, on April 17, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Regarding the photo of Pagan’s inside-the-park-HR….the Giants broadcast a couple of nights ago showed a video clip of Flannery during the whole thing. As soon as Pagan is called safe, Flannery turns and runs away from the scene doing a big-time celebration. Like, hey, it’s the players who maul each other, we coaches clear out of that scrum. 🙂

37. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2015 at 4:15 pm

McGeehee to play tonight.

38. zumiee said, on April 17, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Regarding Aoki, I’ll say, all things considered, he’s doing a good job. He’s grabbed that leadoff spot and made it his. I can’t see putting Pagan back at leadoff later on.

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2015 at 4:22 pm

I can, zum. When that BA inevitably comes down and Pence returns…

• willedav said, on April 17, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Exactly. If Belt or others are better hitters they need to be higher in order to hit more often, and Aoki lower.
        The whole argument with Aoki is whether what he has done is sustainable.
        Obviously there are those who post here that think it is…I have grave doubts given his other stats beside OB and BA have plummeted since his first year in Mil. To me that’s a giveaway pitchers have figured out all he can do is slap dink singles. So if he is neither a good base runner nor OF, value would go down along with OB and every thing else.

39. zumiee said, on April 17, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Flannery’s “runaway celebration” begins at about the 3:10 mark of this awesome and corny tribute video.

• Flavor said, on April 17, 2015 at 6:12 pm

that is the BEST. Thanks for sharing

40. Bozo said, on April 17, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Note to self, staying up watching the game and drinking until 3 in the morning, and then getting up around 7:30AM and firing up power tools, that is probably not a great idea.

My feeling about the Belt project is, he is the key to the season. If he kicks it in, this team will go far,
    My biggest gripe so far in this early season is with Posey, not Belt. How fragile is the guy that he needs time at first and days off? We haven’t even played 2 weeks yet, so what is his deal?

• zumiee said, on April 17, 2015 at 4:36 pm

I think that’s just Bochy thinking ‘big picture,’ so Posey isn’t as run-down the last month of the season. And I think there are health issues that don’t get talked about. Posey’s back tightens up once in a while, and I think there’s still some residual issues with the ankle that was broken, from vague references that Bochy made last season. I could be totally wrong. It’s hard to tell what Bochy means sometimes. He intentionally stays vague about things a lot of times.

41. zumiee said, on April 17, 2015 at 4:45 pm

This t-shirt has the photo that was on the front page of the SF Chronicle after the Giants won it all last season. It’s a great photo. It captures the combination of sheer elation of winning it all, and utmost fatigue at having expended full effort to win the championship, along with the love that teammates can feel for each other having gone through all that together.
    Posey was completely fried by the end. After the embrace, he sank to his knees for a long moment, while the others were piling on each other. Posey loves to play catcher, and he’s had a lot of success, obviously, but maybe it takes more out of him physically than some other catchers.

42. Flavor said, on April 17, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Tommy and Ratto were debating the Belt thing this afternoon on KNBR. Tommy basically said that if Belt doesn’t step up and start hitting the team is doomed (as he’s the only LH power bat in the LU). Ratto said to address the offensive woes they have to bolster the pitching. To that point, I think he’s correct. If the Giants can get back to reliable SP’s their offense can suck as it usually does and cobble together enough wins to make the playoffs. Heston and a healthy Cain would go a decent way towards achieving that.

43. Flavor said, on April 17, 2015 at 6:08 pm

Ubaldo got tossed tonight in the 4th inning tonight, having not allowed a hit, when he plunked Sandoval. No warnings had been given to either bench. Really looking forward to seeing this play out post game

• wilcojoe said, on April 17, 2015 at 6:19 pm

I saw that. No idea why Ubaldo got ejected. It didn’t look intentional and there didn’t appear to be any history there.

• Flavor said, on April 17, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Sandoval had gone in hard to 2nd base earlier but if the umps thought it was that big of a deal they should have warned the benches. And shit, Ubaldo doesn’t have the greatest control to start with.

44. willedav said, on April 17, 2015 at 7:03 pm

No more pressure on Belt than anyone else. Baseball is a business and everyone faces the pressure each day, each AB and each play in field or on bases. He could be dumped off to Tampa to play in that lifeless dump in front of 12 thousand fans, just like Duffy or Blanco or Vogs
    You can either play well and stay in the LU or wind up Lyle Overbay.
    Ishi has been activated and Mac is ready to start.

Hope rest of week before LA gets here SF picks it up and gets back to playing better baseball.
    It’s one thing to struggle vs. LA or STL or Was or Pit, but to get zapped, at home no less, by teams like the DBax and Sherps bugs me.

45. Flavor said, on April 17, 2015 at 7:23 pm

this COllmenter dude has never impressed me. He looks like some dude I’d have beers with

46. willedav said, on April 17, 2015 at 7:32 pm

One consequence of batting Pagan third as opposed to leadoff–he gets a single like right there, you take away the running game.
    He steals 2b, Posey is gonna be walked, esp now if Mac is hitting behind him.

47. James said, on April 17, 2015 at 7:39 pm

I thought The Grip had ensured Belt’s spot in Cooperstown 🙂

The guy has had 20 some ABs this season. He is a much better player than, e.g., Saint Joe Panik, who will be lucky to put together a better season than the beloved Gregor Blanco.

48. Flavor said, on April 17, 2015 at 7:48 pm

can’t believe Marichal did that wild-ass motion every single pitch. Looks like it was an awful lot of effort.

• James said, on April 17, 2015 at 7:53 pm

As a kid, imitating that motion was a lot of fun. I tried in the living room just now, and apparently I wasn’t convincing.

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:04 pm

I’ve had this magazine for almost 50 years. Not for sale:

• Flavor said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:06 pm

did you stay upright? lol

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Loo, that Time cover is a Dominican Dandy gem. Love it.

• xoot said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:41 pm

I remember reading that Time article when I was a kid. The writer made a big deal about how many different pitches Marichal could throw. I was amazed. The total was something like 24.

49. djloo27 said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Unfathomable:

50. Paul Sorensen said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:05 pm

This stretch of putrid baseball (which our World Champion SF Giants are very capable of doing now and then, we should be used to it by now) is pretty much team-wide with just a few exceptions, as it was last year for those 2 months of suckitude. Belt and Aoki: I think Belt will be fine. Aoki indeed seems to lack good baseball instincts (I won’t say he’s dumb), That at bat last night, it’s like he was still thinking “lead off hitter”, trying to be aggressive when the opposite was called for. He and others really really really need to think more situationally. Someone mentioned it yesterday: these guys don’t even appear to enter the batter’s box with a plan for THIS particular at-bat. But you can’t just rag on those 2 players; Belt will be fine, and Aoki has done his job so far. I’m with Bozo about Posey. I can’t remember the last time Posey came up and I thought “Oh, good, he’ll do something good here”…. Maybe Pence’s protection will help, but IMO, as Buster goes, so go the Giants.

51. Flavor said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Kruk just said “red hot” in reference to Lamb. Huh? That pitch was on a freaking tee, I could have hit that ball just as far.

52. Macdog said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Can Marichal come in for Peavy?

53. pawliekokonuts said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:09 pm

I’m done for this night.

54. djloo27 said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:10 pm

I’m going to get a lot of rest this summer…

55. Paul Sorensen said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:12 pm

I also love that video of Pagan with the inside the park job. But. It also makes me wince. That was the last we saw of him for awhile. Love the video, but highly favor him toning it down a bit for posterity’s sake…

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:20 pm

We do things for posterity but what does posterity do for us?
      -Ching Chow

56. giants54 said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:23 pm

wow. Peavy is just god awful.

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:24 pm

His contract is even worse…

• James said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:29 pm

He was terrible for the Sox last year, too. May a posterior 2015 revival be recorded for posterity.

57. Flavor said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Later days, peavy. you suck.

58. Macdog said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Wasn’t Peavy supposed to join Lester in Chicago?

• Lurker John said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Lol. If only…

59. djloo27 said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Our pitching staff has a surplus of mop-up men.
    Unfortunately most of them are in the starting rotation.

60. Lurker John said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Juan Marichal, one of the greatest pitchers ever and also one of the most underrated and dissed. He had the disadvantage of pitching in a decade with Koufax, Drysdale, Gibson and a host of others and maybe was somewhat overlooked because of it, but he’s still one of the greats. He’s also one of my 5-10 favorite Giants.

• djloo27 said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:41 pm

I wouldn’t say underrated, LJ, just overshadowed, First by Koufax, then by Gibson & Seaver. And when he got hurt in ’67, one year wonder McCormick wins the Cy as a Giant.

61. Bozo said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Is there something wrong with Petit? Fourth inning and they have Kontos coming in? I always thought the long guy was supposed to come in and pitch when the starter Peavyed out.

62. Paul Sorensen said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Peavy *should have* indeed joined Lester in Chicago. I wouldn’t really have minded bringing him back for this year, but yeah, that second year? Probably will be less fruitful than Scoots’ end of contract year….. I think once Cain is groovy to go, Peavy is next in line for some hidden but wicked ailment that takes him out of the rotation.

63. djloo27 said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:31 pm

64. Lurker John said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:37 pm

With all due respect to you guys who disagree, I think you can blame one guy in a given situation. Aoki cost them the game. Infield in, outfield up, all he had to do was take a strike then either work the count for the walk or to hit the ball hard somewhere. He does that and it’s ballgame. And now they’re getting thumped again tonight.

Aoki doesn’t get off the hook just because other guys are struggling too. He had his chance and didn’t get it done. Same goes for the other guys who didn’t get it done when they had a chance. That was the most glaring though, imo.

65. Paul Sorensen said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Agree, LJ, see my 8:05 above about situational hitting (and Aoki’s lack thereof). NO ONE is off the hook at this point, the whole team pretty much sucks right now. I think it was us Belt supporters (why does that sound like a girdle or something) rallying around him, saying this is not his fault. Well.. it’s everybody’s fault, until someone leads the way out of this dark desert of destitude. My vote is Posey. Step up, man….

66. giants54 said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Why the need to point fingers? It’s done. It’s one game. Get over it. Plenty of goats, including Bum who gave up the big blast to Goldie. I’m sure he’d say “it’s on me”. I sucked.

67. sandog said, on April 17, 2015 at 8:52 pm

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a pitcher who works faster than Collmenter.

68. djloo27 said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Well for you optimists out there, the 2000 NL West Champion Giants started out 4-11 and were 3-9 like this crew is about to be. Went on to win 97.

I like the beard on Voggy.
    Sorry to see Timmy just got another wretched contract year haircut.

69. Paul Sorensen said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:03 pm

That 2000 team was a good team, Loo. Finished with the best record in the NL… deserved better than an early exit from the playoffs at the hands of the Mets.

Someone asked earlier, why not Petit? Is it possible Bochy is “saving him” for a blowout that he thinks the team can come back and win? Petit really should be starting at this point….

70. James said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:03 pm

They are going into the ring ceremony game tomorrow with an 8 game losing streak. The basking will be a little strained . . . .

• Paul Sorensen said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Or, maybe that ceremony will be *the spark* …. oh nevermind….

71. djloo27 said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:15 pm

They just padlocked Finnerty’s.

72. Bozo said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:16 pm

My head is telling me one thing, my heart another, but damn, it seems my eyes are winning the argument. Yes, the team gets their rings tomorrow but if they are like me they are looking forward to the day off on Monday.
    Night all.

73. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:17 pm

This is insane. Can we be any more pathetic? 3 singles off this clown?

We can’t even get one past the Infield now.

74. Paul Sorensen said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:20 pm

They just sort of look like what one long-ago Red Sox manager termed it as a *dead ass team*. Usually that’s no problem happening at some point in the season. Yeah, “it’s early”. That it’s happening this early is a little concerning.

75. sandog said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:25 pm

god we suck

76. unca_chuck said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Collmenter has done more damage than our whole team.

This is like watching a slow motion train wreck.

These guys have nothing to talk about. The fans have little to cheer about.

77. Paul Sorensen said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Uh oh. I’m hearing a faint murmur in the background. It sounds like the phrase… bad penny year. I don’t really remember, did Sabean try to make some changes on the team before finally uttering those words a couple of years ago? Just starting to wonder what the front office is thinking; are they calmly sitting there, saying “it’s early”, or…. are wheels turning? I really really really don’t want to hear about a bad penny year….

• James said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Has there ever been a Bad Penny BBOTD?

• Paul Sorensen said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Oh, James, don’t tempt Craig….

78. Paul Sorensen said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Petit, now? I guess just to get him some work, huh….

79. blade3colorado said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:46 pm

When our teams suck, one advantage that the SF bay area has that other areas do not have is the opportunity to see and do other things, e.g., visit Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay, Monterey/Carmel, Tahoe, etc.

Cleveland? Umm . . . ahh . . . hmm . . .

• James said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:50 pm

I prefer to sit on my ass and watch my team win.

• blade3colorado said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Cool. You may have to wait awhile though.

80. James said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Good to see Petit come in to give us a chance.

81. snarkk said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:48 pm

I was going to say the Giants suck, but just about everybody beat me to it…

82. snarkk said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:51 pm

Bochy needs to explain why Petit, supposedly one of our best hurlers, comes in when the game is absolutely out of hand. He should be starting, and Peavy should be on the DL for suckitude, with Voggy close behind…

• Paul Sorensen said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:53 pm

It’s quite possible that even Bochy is not yet in “mid-season form”…. Although, honestly, mid-season (June and July) is often when this team seems to tank. So, in that case, maybe they are in mid-season form… 🙂

83. snarkk said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:55 pm

blade, they keep playin’ like this, and maybe seats will be real cheap for the Angels series…

• blade3colorado said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:56 pm

No shit snarkk. They may have to pay us . . . Sort of like those people that attend the Oscars for free.

• snarkk said, on April 17, 2015 at 10:00 pm

This streak is going to stretch Marty Lurie’s ability to find a silver lining in a S-storm…

84. snarkk said, on April 17, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Maybe they can put in the ball dudes to pinch hit. Pretty good hitters with RISP…

85. snarkk said, on April 17, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Collmenter the pitcher has 3 hits. If Bochy has a “flip the spread” effort in him, tonight would be a good time for it.
    Good night, Flappers…

86. blade3colorado said, on April 17, 2015 at 10:13 pm

Yes, they suck right now. However, I think what Loo said about the 2000 team is pertinent to our current situation. Similarly, besides Bozo – who else thought the Giants would thrive last season? No one that I can recall, including yours truly. Yeah, it gets old, but after last season’s Houdini turn around, I’m not counting them out until they are mathematically eliminated.

87. zumiee said, on April 18, 2015 at 12:17 am

Well, at least they didn’t bat out of order, like in that game in 2013. 🙂

88. zumiee said, on April 18, 2015 at 12:21 am

A sneak preview of the 2014 championship ring. They may have gone a little overboard on this one.