Laughing at Stupid People

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 20, 2015

I listen to way too much KNBR. I can’t remember when my car radio was tuned to a different station. I guess I’ve just gotten comfortable with the hosts and even though they almost never give me any news that I didn’t already know, I keep listening. The callers are the best. As you can imagine, there is a swelling contingent of Giants fans who have had it up to here (I’m waving my hand over my head right now) with the 2015 season already. I guess they get themselves so worked up in a froth they have no other way to release it than to call into a radio station. And I’m not really knocking them, I’ve called into KNBR a half dozen times in the last year. But the things they say are just so….stupid.

Yesterday afternoon a guy called into Marty’s show, sounded reasonable enough in the beginning. He started by agreeing with Marty that the problem with the team is the pitching. He then went on to say he believes Sabean will *work his magic* and pull off a dynamic trade to turn this season around.

Then he went insane.

Here’s the very specific trade he *has a feeling* Sabean will pull off: Brandon Belt for Denard Span and Jordan Zimmerman. Marty gave this guy 7 minutes of airtime to repeat over and over that he’s just *got a feeling* that this is the trade Sabean will make this year. At no point did Marty ever ask, “And what would make Washington agree to this trade?” Marty just kept repeating that he was happy the caller agreed with him that it’s the pitching that’s the problem.

Anyway, it was fantastic comedy. Some people have their reality shows, I don’t really watch tv. I get my entertainment from the KNBR callers. There is no substitute for spontaneous idiocy.

dodgerssuck1

1. sandog said, on April 20, 2015 at 7:18 am

Loo and I are working on a Javier Lopez for Dillon Gee trade as well, with Hector as a possible throw-in. Between Zimmerman and Gee, the staff should get a nice shot in the arm!

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 20, 2015 at 7:20 am

They should pair Tolbert with the weather guy that does the call in segment on Fridays. Ratto is just so bad.

• Flavor said, on April 20, 2015 at 7:52 am

Ratto is the absolute worst, agreed.

• chipower9 said, on April 20, 2015 at 10:20 am

I agree…I dig the weather guy (cannot recall his name). I like it when he and Tolbert go off on one of there beer discussions.

3. willedav said, on April 20, 2015 at 7:47 am

Since Desmond is struggling in his walk year, by tossing in Ehire that should seal the deal.

As to the pitching, where Giants are 12th in the league in ERA, a large part of that is Bum with 2 sub par outings in a row and an astronomical 5 + ERA. That should not continue.
    Giants have scored 1 run total for Hudson in 3 starts. A long inning like he had, with the 2 out dink hit to RF a big blow as he was tiring is gonna be tough on anyone. I think he’ll be fine and able to lower ERA from 3.90.
    Peavy I would guess if Giants had it to do over they would have put him on DL to start with. He isn’t healthy, so I can give him pass so far. Hope we can see Petit move into that spot.
    The kid obviously has been Bum like and Lincecum goes tomorrow so we’ll see how he does vs. non Pads team.

Cain of course still unavailable, a guy Giants were counting on to rebound. I don’t think it’s a bad group with Cain in there and pen still looks very good…just need more late inning leads to work with.

Imo, Giants are making too many chump SPs on some not very good teams look way better than they are.
    Yesterday was 2-1 game after first inning and they never scored again.
    Team is 12th in runs scored and in bottom half of league most other offensive categories such as OB and slugging.

4. Flavor said, on April 20, 2015 at 7:50 am

For you bball guys, where do you stand on Tim Roye? I think he’s one of the best basketball play by play announcers I’ve ever heard.
    Example: Steph gets the ball and he just goes, “Bake….Fly By….3ball!” It was brilliant on many levels.

• willedav said, on April 20, 2015 at 8:03 am

Oh yeah, he’s great, esp for the home games with Tolbert. I don’t listen to Tolbert on his reg show (anyone else either) but he seems loose and fully engaged in banter, and very insightful. These guys are a really good team; wish I could figure out a way to watch game and listen to them full time, mostly to avoid Fitz..

Lurie has some funny ideas himself, but I admire his patience and politeness. Usually he’ll dismiss a guy like the one in the thread with a one sentence put down, like, “Well the Nats might want more than that but I’d like to get Span and J Zim on the Giants too.”

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2015 at 8:37 am

Roye is good, to be sure.
      But, compared to Bill King, well, there’s no comparison…

5. Flavor said, on April 20, 2015 at 8:01 am

Here’s an email I got from my dad this morning. San Diggity will appreciate:
    WILLIAM
    To Craig Today at 7:24 AM
    hey
    nice to hear from you
    we have no plans until june
    cath &tom et al came over last weekend for J baseball
    rained all day sat
    cath was pissed as J team lost 19-0,8-2 and 12-0
    kind of like looking at the Gaints
    will let you know more later

6. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2015 at 8:01 am

Flavor, just a suggestion – Go to Zumiee’s (Evan Campbell) Face Book page and consider posting his photo showing the Dodgers last World Series ring near our rings. Frickin’ hilarious . . . Not certain I can embed it here, but here goes:

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2015 at 8:04 am

Shit, it didn’t work.

• chipower9 said, on April 20, 2015 at 10:38 am

Nicely done…

7. snarkk said, on April 20, 2015 at 8:35 am

I’m hoping the Giants can catch one win in this LA series. Illogical to think they can win more than that. Marty Lurie sometimes lets doofus callers just ramble, inexplicably. The doofs are very adroit at just talking and talking for a seeming eternity without taking a breath. Other callers who know something, he’ll cut short. Maybe for the doofuses he’s off mike taking a massive scarf of some Amici’s pizza or — Beercan is giving him a massage…

• Lurker John said, on April 20, 2015 at 8:52 am

Maybe he thinks the doofs are just more entertaining.

8. willedav said, on April 20, 2015 at 8:52 am

@SanDawg re: the Pinata.
    I think this is the guy that needs full time work on his D in Sac–calling a game framing pitches and learning to block more stuff and keep it in front of him. Sure catching Lincecum is no picnic but given all his injuries he needs opportunity to play more and get better defensively. Imo that would be best move both for himself and for Giants to improve any potential value. Don’t follow minors too closely,is Decker still down there?

9. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 20, 2015 at 8:55 am

Lurie is kind of a trip. The first 10-20 times I heard him I thought he was a complete and total nincompoop. Over time I have come to appreciate his knowledge and insights. He definitely let’s the crazy train leave the station with some callers but he’s grown on me. Like mold.

• zumiee said, on April 20, 2015 at 9:33 am

Similar to Billy Martin’s career as a manager. Success in the early years by bringing manic energy, and then the personality wears thin on the players after a while, and turns into a negative atmosphere.

10. chipower9 said, on April 20, 2015 at 10:57 am

I like Marty, but have missed his show the past couple of days. Pitching the problem? Uh, I would counter with the middle-of-the-order. The pitching hasn’t been that bad, IMO. This team needs to figure out how to score some fucking runs:

Runs scored – 25th
    Avg w RISP – 26th
    RISP, 2 out – 16th
    Runner on 3rd, less than 2 out – 27th
    SLG – 24th
    OPS – 25th.

Team ERA – 3.94 (11th)
    WHIP 1.36 – 23rd
    BB – 11th most.

So, they could stand to cut down on the number of BBs….that subsequently lowers their WHIP. But bottom line, the pitching isn’t horrible. The inability to knock in runs IS.

I have said this before…almost every damned day, and will say it again. I am not tripping on any of this shit. We are only 14 games in, six out.

Check back when they have about 40 or so games under their belt, AND the entire proposed opening day roster is playing together (hope we get there, or close to it).

I’m with snarkk – hope the Giants can take one against the fucking douche bag bums. Anything more than that at this juncure is pure gravy. Mmmmm….gravy….

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2015 at 11:30 am

Good assessment Chi. The team has been absolutely putrid to watch, especially the (non) hitting.

Want some perspective?

The Colorado Sherpas just finished up a weekend series against the Dodgers during which they were outscored, 21-6, in three games. However, no one should be surprised. Same deal with this upcoming series with our Orange and Black. Los Angeles entered the season as the clear favorite to win the division. Now, the Dodgers are on a seven-game winning streak and have won nine of their first 12 games. Regardless of how well the Giants play, it’s going to be hard to compete with these guys over the course of the season. The key IMO is to stay close to the Wild Card contenders and not worry too much about the Bums. The season’s not over yet, folks. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on April 20, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Absolutely agree about staying close in the WC hunt, Blade. That seemed to work pretty damned good last year.

• Bozo said, on April 20, 2015 at 11:30 am

Gravy? Chi, there is a place in Nags Head called Sam & Omies, they run a breakfast special sometimes that is fried chicken tenders on a huge biscuit, smothered with bacon gravy. Couple that with a couple of their Bloodys and man is your day starting off right.

• chipower9 said, on April 20, 2015 at 12:32 pm

That sounds awesome John. Here is another classic…only place I have ever seen it is at Murphy’s Steak House in my hometown in OK. It is called a Murphy’s hot hamburer. Burger patty on toast, topped with a pile of fresh cut french fries, and then topped with their brown gravy (made with the drippings from their steaks). The bomb! Then there is the bloody mary at R-n-R in Scottsdale…comes with a slice of crisy bacon in it! Now we’re talking!

• giants54 said, on April 20, 2015 at 11:38 am

Pen has been great but what’s the SP ERA?

• giants54 said, on April 20, 2015 at 11:46 am

ok, looked it up. Pen has not been great either….

• chipower9 said, on April 20, 2015 at 12:38 pm

I posted it above (team ERA and WHIP). To me, pitching is not nearly the problem as the lack of run production. Also posted some of those offensive stats, too.

11. Bozo said, on April 20, 2015 at 11:20 am

Hey Flav, here is a link for Bum’s ring. Maybe it’ll work for the page. Sure looks nice.

12. unca_chuck said, on April 20, 2015 at 11:25 am

I’ve always liked Tolbert but I rarely listen to bball games on hhe radio, so I haven’t heard much of Roye. I’ve heard good things tho.

The thing that STILL had me laughing is Bill King is the only announcer ever to get a Technical foul called on him.

13. pawliekokonuts said, on April 20, 2015 at 1:21 pm

I know it’s mad early to declare this, but as a fan I need a break. (Me, who was trumpeting my undoomerishness just days ago.)

• Bozo said, on April 20, 2015 at 3:28 pm

I hear ya Pawlie, fourteen straight days of West Coast games, I’m glad to have the night off.

14. Lurker John said, on April 20, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Jesus H. Christ, I feel like I need a degree in statistics to follow some of today’s baseball metrics. Now they’re measuring the velocity of a curveball’s drop as it crosses the plate?! Holy crap. The Gammon’s piece is ingteresting, but it always amazes that a sport that has always been consumed by stats (I still have to read the box score to feel like I know all I need to know about a game) continually finds new ways to measure itself. I guess we have Bill James to thank for that. No other sport takes stats as far as baseball does.

15. wilcojoe said, on April 20, 2015 at 2:46 pm

I am sure you all are sick of hearing my posts about Stubhub. However I just posted extra tickets for the Wilco (yes, my namesake) concert this week that I have. This was my first experience as a seller. I always knew the seller paid the service fee but I didnt realize how badly they get raped by Stubhub. To give you an example I posted my seats for $43 a piece (the current lowest listing for a similar seat is $43.50). If sold, the buyer pays the listed price (with no additional fees or taxes) and I end up getting $32 per ticket. Geat deal for the buyer and more so for Stubhub.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 20, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Actually, I was watching the game yesterday and sort of chuckled to myself as I anticipated your report. If the next games weren’t against the dodgers they might be giving them away.

16. zumiee said, on April 20, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Profound question….”if you were a hotdog….”

17. zumiee said, on April 20, 2015 at 3:52 pm

I strongly doubt the ’15 Giants will make this ‘Top 10’ list, but just for the heck of it, here’s the teams with the worst winning percentages in the season after winning the World Series:
    1. ’98 Marlins, 54-108
    2. ’14 Red Sox, 71-91
    3. ’91 Reds, 74-88
    4. ’18 White Sox, 57-67 (season shortened because of WWI)
    5. ’32 Cardinals, 72-82
    6. ’13 Giants, 76-86
    7. ’86 Royals, 76-86
    8. ’67 Orioles, 76-85
    9. ’03 Angels, 77-85
    10. ’94 Blue Jays, 55-60. (season shortened because of strike)

• djloo27 said, on April 20, 2015 at 4:10 pm

They’re on a 46-116 pace.
      Top ten my ass!
      We’ll be #1 by daylight…

• zumiee said, on April 20, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Hey, when’s the last time the Giants had the #1 draft pick?!! 🙂

• wilcojoe said, on April 20, 2015 at 5:36 pm

I don’t know about strongly doubting those chances. Considering what we have seen thus far, factor in the pitching staff’s age and most importantly the fact that this is an odd numbered year, I think 76 wins sounds about right.

18. wilcojoe said, on April 20, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Speaking of superstition, the person Iam most concerned about is Cain. Every local scribe drooled over how good he looked in spring camp (before gsmes started). Many were predicting a career year. If that isn’t a recipe for disaster, I don’t know what is.

• zumiee said, on April 20, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Good potential for several guys in the minors, but not so much “immediate” help for the big club.

• wilcojoe said, on April 20, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Nice find Blade. Good stuff. I wonder how often this is writren. This would be a nice bi-monthly update of the prospects. I wonder if Flav would be able to add this to his link section.

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2015 at 11:16 pm

I like the blurb about Christian Arroyo. Possible 3rd baseman of the future…

19. zumiee said, on April 20, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Padres giving a butt-kicking to the Rockies, 9-0 so far.

20. Flavor said, on April 20, 2015 at 7:07 pm

Padres are taking it to Colorado. Seems like de La Rosa isn’t quite ready to pitch. They also lost Arenado and Dickerson to pain/injury/whatever. The breakdown of the bodies in Colorado are starting early this year 🙂

• zumiee said, on April 20, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Before the season, it seemed like there was a pretty good chance Kemp would have a monster season with the bat. His motivation level is off the charts; he wants to prove that he’s still an elite player, and that LA made a huge mistake trading him.

21. zumiee said, on April 20, 2015 at 7:30 pm

The Giants had really bad seasons in ’85, ’95, and ’05. So what did that gain them in draft picks? The Giants picked 3rd in the ’86 draft, and drafted a guy by the name of Matt Williams. Pretty darned good pick. And in the ’06 draft, the Giants drafted a fellow named Tim Lincecum with the 10th pick of the draft. Very well done.
    But what about the ’96 draft? With the 7th pick in the draft, the Giants drafted Matt White. Yes, THE Matt White. And….then they weren’t able to sign him. The Matt White story is pretty surreal.

“Matthew Edward White attended Waynesboro Area High School from 1993-1996. He had a 0.65 ERA in high school. He was named USA Today ‘s Baseball Player of the Year. He was also named Gatorade’s Pennsylvania Player of the Year.
    White was drafted by the San Francisco Giants in the 1996 amateur draft, but his agent Scott Boras found a loophole that allowed White to become a free agent after the Giants failed to offer him a contract in the required 10 day time allotted. He received a $10.2 million signing bonus in 1996 with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Shoulder and back injuries limited White to 122 minor league games during his career. He never played in the major leagues.
    He was selected to the 2000 Sydney Olympic team but suffered an injury on the plane ride and was forced to return without participating.”

22. sandog said, on April 20, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Zum: Love the Dodger WS rind and I hear you on Kemp. I think Upton is very motivated as well and those two look to have good chemistry together. From a straight baseball fan perspective, I’m fired up to attend Dogs/Pads Saturday. I hope Puig plays as I love watching that jack-ass play. (I will be rooting for Pads, regardless of standings)

Flav: I’m glad Bobby Bowden can empathize with some of the beatings I’ve endured as head JV ball coach!

Willie: Hear you on Hector.

Wilco: Keep the StubHub bits coming. Wilco selling Wilco tix is great stuff. Genius move by them to make the list price the total that seller pays with no hidden fees.

Spent some time this am googling good sauces to go with grilled tuna. Jotted a couple down, but then got home and didn’t have it in me to mess with it. Just grilled the steaks with olive oil, salt, and pepper and am now eating it straight. Absolutely delicious.

Sometimes the simple path is the best one, fellas…

• Flavor said, on April 20, 2015 at 7:54 pm

that’s an education all Giants fans could use, on many different levels.

23. zumiee said, on April 20, 2015 at 8:06 pm

This Davis guy is good. Warriors have their hands full with this guy.

24. zumiee said, on April 20, 2015 at 8:10 pm

The position player batting averages in the Padre starting lineup tonight. Pretty impressive so far. This team had a horrendous offense last season. Currently they’re at:
    .288
    .314
    .368
    .327
    .241
    .175
    .349
    .318

25. zumiee said, on April 20, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Bryant, just called up for the Cubs, at .429, with 4 RBIs. Nice start.

26. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2015 at 8:17 pm

WJ, regarding your 7:30pm post . . . it actually comes out quite frequently (or articles/columns about all MLB team prospects). Some may disagree here, but Bleacher Report has come a long ways since 4-5 years ago. In fact, they are a legitimate sports site, since CNN replaced Sports Illustrated with Bleacher Report a couple of years ago.

In fact, around this time last year, Bleacher Report had a ridiculously successful month of April. For the first time ever, Bleacher Report was the #2 standalone sports site during the month of April, generating 35.6 million unique visitors. The data, tallied by comScore, reveals a 64% year-over-year increase. According to SBJ, it’s the first time Bleacher Report has surpassed Yahoo in the sports rankings for standalone sites. ESPN is still in first place.

We all love to poke fun at Bleacher Report and its rather colorful history, but give credit where its due. They’re putting up some impressive numbers and they’re surpassing some pretty familiar companies such as Yahoo!, NBC and Fox.

The corporate structure is a bit complicated, but the Time Warner conglomerate owns both Turner Broadcasting and Time Inc. Sports Illustrated falls under the Time umbrella while Turner Sports and CNN fall under Turner Broadcasting. Both sides though are part of the larger Time Warner family. When Turner’s partnership with SI.com ended, they quickly acquired Bleacher Report, which is now part of Turner Sports. WJ, many of us here get Bleacher Report’s daily emails . . . I get them for the Niners and Giants. In short, I receive a compilation of Giants news articles from Bleacher Report, which include local sources such as CSN, Mercury News, SF Chronicle, ESPN, etc. You should subscribe to them and you’ll get the same info.

• Flavor said, on April 20, 2015 at 8:23 pm

that’s funny. You know I rejected BR a couple of years ago, right? Yes, I’m regretting it now. lol. Back then they wanted me to take on a writing coach and adhere to all these bullshit rules for the blog. This is just before it got sold. Anyway, *sliding doors* and shit…….

27. Flavor said, on April 20, 2015 at 8:21 pm

ESPN talking head fools just spent 3 minutes blaming the chick who got hit in the head at PNC. Unreal. Unfucking real.

28. zumiee said, on April 20, 2015 at 8:32 pm

The big difference between these Warriors and Warriors teams of the past: quality bench-players.

29. zumiee said, on April 20, 2015 at 8:41 pm

This is the best Warriors bench since the ’74/’75 team.

30. Macdog said, on April 20, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Chargers beat the Broncos 14-3.

31. Paul Sorensen said, on April 20, 2015 at 9:41 pm

It is always said how difficult it is to repeat a championship the following year, pretty much in any sport. In baseball, even just returning to the World Series the following year is tough. There are likely several reasons for it, but I wonder how much of it is psychological. I look at MadBum, for instance, after his stellar post-season, and see him struggling a bit at the start. It’s not likely a physical thing with him, and you know that eventually he will pitch like the ace that he is this season. I just wonder if they’ve still got the basking thing going on *inside* their heads, if not literally an external and visible head-nodding, and a mental view of the calendar of the new season stretches on for what must seem like forever to them…. whoa, 6 months, long time, long tiring grueling journey…. and maybe they’re just not super hungry at the start of it. I’m not knocking them for it, it seems like a very natural thing. This is why it’s helpful to bring in some new blood after a championship, a few bodies who might indeed lend a bit of hunger to the line-up or pitching staff. I’m not sure Aoki and McGiggles count for that, though, nor does simply bringing back Voggie and Peavy….