Dodgers Take Opener

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 28, 2015

Andrew Baggarly, easily the best beat writer in the Bay Area, noted that Timmy only threw his fastball 36% of the time, an absurdly low percentage. Is he afraid to throw it? Or does he just not have it to throw? Regardless, he can’t win pitching the way he did last night.

Sad images coming out of Baltimore. Surreal to see all this happening with Camden Yards in the background.

1. blade3colorado said, on April 28, 2015 at 6:35 am

I gave a presentation at the Marriot during an OSHA conference in 1994 or 1995. The Marriot is located near the aquarium (which was fairly new at the time), Camden Yards, a harbor mall, and other attractions. The entire area had been redeveloped . . . However, walk approximately 2 blocks away from the harbor and urban blight is right in your face. Yes, it’s that close or at least it was back then. You didn’t walk too far away from the harbor main drag – that’s for sure. Today, I am not certain how far out the area has been “gentrified” since I last visited. Spoke with Giant Head yesterday – he said The Wire, a TV show described or nailed the area fairly accurately. Dunno, as I haven’t watched TV for years, except online.

• Bozo said, on April 28, 2015 at 6:52 am

The Wire was created by the same guy who did Treme (about NOLA after Katrina). He was a police reporter for the Baltimore newspaper (The Sun?). Both shows were done for HBO and I’d highly recommend them both, great stories, great acting, and always dealing with some pretty real shit.

2. Bozo said, on April 28, 2015 at 6:41 am

Only caught the end of the game, so I didn’t see Timmy at all. He has become a tough pitcher to call, No No one day, crooked number in the 3rd inning the next.

We had some severe Tstorms go through new Orleans, trains getting knocked off the tracks, power lines going down (drove under one that was hanging there, scary shit), it went through Houston first and was doing a lot of damage there so I hope Wilco is OK.

• willedav said, on April 28, 2015 at 7:12 am

I read about what happened in Alabama where they were trying to have a regatta and a bunch of people wound up missing/dead/capsized due to storm.

How was the JazzFest? Who did you see that you liked?

• Bozo said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:07 am

Willie, week one was good but wet. Highlights for me have been:
        Friday – Paul Sanchez with special guest the Write Brothers, Lagbaja of Nigeria was gobsmacked awesome, The Smooth Family singers and Mount Calvary Voices energized the Gospel tent, Ann Savoy’s Magnolia Sisters entertained on stage and at their interview, Jimmie Vaughn was starting to heat up when they pulled the plug on day one because of severe storm warnings.
        Saturday – Missed Big Sam’s Funky Nation because of storms (he does bring a party), Tommy Malone was cooking, Cassandra Wilson’s voice is amazing could have done without the guitar effects, Robert Cray and the Who can still pump it out.
        Sunday- Irma Thomas as always, Alan Toussaint was as smooth as ever and his jacket was a wow, Rebirth has taken it to a new level and really brings the party, BeauSoleil’s 40th, New Orleans Cottonmouth Kings and Dr Michael White swung it old school. Didn’t see Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga, so I don’t know if they left their hearts in San Francisco.
        Probably too much info, be thankful it was only my highlights. .

• wilcojoe said, on April 28, 2015 at 7:33 am

Thanks Bozo, we are doing fine. Yeah, I saw that video of the train blown off the overpass. Unreal. If no one has seen it yet, it’s worth taking a look.

• Bozo said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:08 am

Was thinking about you Wilco when I passed on going to see your name sakes.

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2015 at 7:44 am

Was thinking of you clown when I saw all of the shit on New Orleans. How was the Jazz and Heritage fest? Anyone spectacular? Favorite acts? You ever catch a Zephyr’s game when you are there?

• Bozo said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:15 am

Still here Chi, see above for some of my favs for the first weekend. We were going to go see the Zephyrs today but we are calling it a rainout (don’t know if they’ll play or not). Today and tomorrow is catching up with some friends that I haven’t seen yet, stocking up on sausages to freeze and take home, and tonight Brigtsen’s for dinner. Cheers man.

3. willedav said, on April 28, 2015 at 7:26 am

From what Kruk said (grain of salt here) Dodgers seemed to be sitting on TL first pitch off speed stuff, idea being they could adjust to the fastball at 80 something if necessary. He was lucky to get out of first inning unscathed, but not afterwards.

More than once while facing a LH and Giants in the full shift, he threw a pitch out and over the plate and got burned for it. That one time when a grounder got through he was visibly ticked, but what are you doing throwing something hittable to that side of the plate?

Posey is starting to look better defensively at 1b and I bet he’d improve more he plays there. But it sure opens up can of worms, esp Bochy saying Belt might see more time in LF. We argued about this all last year and what it does to team D. Giants have multiple guys in rotation who need all the D they can get behind them.

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2015 at 7:48 am

I shared an article yesterday about the OF mix…Belt in the OF, Posey at 1st…it is all about trying to get more bats in the LU. Not saying I agree with it all the time, but that is Bochy’s spin on it.

Timmy looked like he was throwing BP last night. He left so much shit up over the plate. Hell, they may as well have put the ball on a T for the bums. This definitely needs to be Timmy’s last year as a Giant. Appreciate what he did for the club, but that dog won’t hunt here any longer. Time to move on…

4. mrsprtdude said, on April 28, 2015 at 7:59 am

Just to play devils advocate…Sometimes we need to look at the numbers and not the jersey. Timmy has the best era of the starters by more than have a run AFTER yesterday. He has as many wins as the rest of the rotation combined. Lets talk a little about how improved he’s looked so far this year and start worrying about our ace who has an ERA more than a full run better than Lincecum:)
    Our infield is the worst in baseball IMO. The 5 starters have 2 home runs total ( both by the .250 hitting catcher).
    Re Belt in left also lame. How about when Posey plays 1st Belt sits.
    Aoki is top 10 in NL in hits, has 10 walks ( more than double the next best on the team ) ,6 steals, and has the best on base % on the team for a guy lost at the plate with zero homers. Dumb

• Irish Kevin said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:22 am

Nice one.

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2015 at 9:49 am

I get it on the overall ERAs, etc. sport dude, but outside of Peavy, Tim has the highest WHIP on the team. And look, there really isn’t any other way to say it…Lincecum looked like shit last night. There just is no other way to slice it…dude was leaving way too many pitches in the zone and the bums took advantage. But, I am really overall fairly happy with the SP to date, given all of the injuries, etc.

5. mrsprtdude said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:01 am

opps Mad bum a full run higher era than Timmy…Right now HE is the ace. The only one who has given the team a chance to win almost every time out…Just sayin

• willedav said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:41 am

Vogs looked good last time out too…do you seriously think that continues?
      Bottom line, neither he nor Lincecum are capable starters any longer, as they have proven over the last few seasons. The longer they run these 2 out there the worse the rotation will be.
      Cain can’t return fast enough, and hopefully Petit (whose ineffectiveness so far is caused by lack of activity) and him replace them asap.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 28, 2015 at 9:00 am

Are these like “hot takes”?

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2015 at 9:51 am

ERA is one of the least meaningful pitching stats, IMO. To me, WHIP provides more info on how a pitcher is doing, and as I mentioned earlier, outside of Peavy, Tim’s WHIP is the highest of the starters. And Tim is NOT the only starter who has given the team a chance to win.

6. James said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:11 am

The other day BF suggested that Belt was no longer a wet behind the ears rook. That works both ways. You don’t treat a vet who’s performed reasonably well for you over the years like a “project” whenever he has a bad patch. Especially at age 27.

That said, losing ABs to Susac is a bit more rational than the previously frustrating use of clear non-talents like Hector and Brett Pill. As long as Bochy is making moves to maximize run production, I’m not going to complain too loudly on behalf of the giraffe.

7. James said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:13 am

And it looks like Belt’s reward for his 3 for 3 will be several days off and another start against Kershaw, probably the one pitcher in the league he should never face again 🙂

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 28, 2015 at 9:03 am

James: Taking on the role of Belt apologist vs Bochy’s machinations. So he has that 3 for three with a walk and an RBI and looking like he’s seeing the ball well and starting to get into his stroke and what happens next? No starts. Last night was a prime example ~ vs a rookie we bombarded, no less. So how did Susac work out last night?

What scares me is that Bochy will so misuse BB9 that it ends up in him getting traded to some team which plays him on a regular basis and the dude responds by cracking out 60 XBH’s and going All-Star. He does have that capability. I fear there might be something personal going on between the two BBs.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 28, 2015 at 9:09 am

I don’t think there is anything personal going on with Bochy and Belt. He rolls out the LU he thinks it best to win that day and it is that simple. If anything he probably sides with getting Posey in there and Belt suffers for it. I do agree with you on Belt going somewhere and possibly doing better but what else is the club going to do? They’ve got the big dollars invested in Posey and Susac pretty much ready. I think they hope that Belt does well and trade him in the off season or at the deadline depending on how they’re positioned at the time.

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2015 at 9:59 am

Stix – It isn’t fair to look at one game for the comparisons, IMO. Susac has played very well. He has a better line (Avg, OBP, SLG, OPS) than Posey, Belt, really damned near the whole team (outside of Maxwell and Pagan). I think you will see more of Susac and Posey playing, and a rotation in the OF (even when Pence is back) where Maxwell, Aoki, and Belt will get some time in the OF). Bochy said as much in the article I shared yesterday.

And I agree with Dirt…I don’t think there is anything going on between Boch and Belt. I too think Bochy is just trying to put the line-up on the field that he thinks maximizes the chances to win.

8. Irish Kevin said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:25 am

Well IMO the Giants did not plan this well. why did you go out and get Aoki if you are going to suddenly start Posey at 1st? It looks like Belt is going to be trade bait if you ask me. Aoki, Pagan and Pence that is your out field. Giants have Blanco and now Maxwell as backup.

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2015 at 10:04 am

Kev – What in the hell does playing Posey at 1st have to do with landing Aoki?

And check out the article I shared yesterday where Bochy said there will be some platooning going on in the OF (so that everyone gets their chances to play and stays fresh). Belt, Maxwell, Aoki…they will all get some time in the OF. From the article, it looks like there really will not be a “set” OF. And I am okay with that.

Regardless, I think Aoki was a good add, and if nothing else, he provides some insurance if one of the other “starters” goes down for a while. Shit, Aoki has the highest OBP on the team, and is hitting .309. Not exactly chopped liver, and he really has not embarrased himself in the OF.

• Irish Kevin said, on April 28, 2015 at 12:25 pm

You misunderstood me, I think Aoki is. Great add, but it looks like they are leaning to playing Posey at 1st more and more. It is not that Aoki is a bad pickup. It is why didn’t they just put Belt there in the first place.

9. blade3colorado said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:25 am

The 7:59am point mrsprtdude made is a good one. What he said is relative . . . However, for whatever reason (my brain is weird), I’m reminded of this quote:

“Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives, but he never forgets oral sex, no matter how bad it is.”
    ― Barbara Bush

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2015 at 10:06 am

I agree with the second half of mrsprtdude’s 7:59. I commented on Timmy and pitching stats (ERA).

10. giants54 said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:25 am

Wonder what Timmy would do if he isn’t signed (ml contract) by someone next year, assuming he has another season like 2014. Him sharing a motel room, riding buses in the minors hard to imagine.

Speaking of ziti, sporting a 5.57 era in 4 starts for Nashville. How much longer before he hangs em up?

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2015 at 10:07 am

Lincecum would retire before he ever “rode the buses in the minors.” Dude has already said numerous times he has all the money he will ever need in this lifetime. Someone will take a flyer on him next year.

11. pawliekokonuts said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:26 am

I only saw the beginning of the game and did not feel confident in Timmy’s demeanor, pitch selection, or execution. It was not promising, in a positive way.

One of the best nonfiction books I’ve ever read was “Homicide,” by David Simon, who went on to produce or write for “The Wire.” (Richard Price, another of my favorites, wrote the intro.) Depicts a grim Baltimore. Did you catch the mayor’s comments? She, a native of Baltimore, a black woman, passionately condemned how young thugs were undoing the positive work of generations.

On a broader level, it reminded me of the Sixties: riots that were orgies of self-destruction. I could see it potentially happening in my city, today, easily; and many cities. And the victims would be the very people who could least afford it, in pain or consequence.

12. Irish Kevin said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:26 am

Just open my Yahoo email account. Someone hacked my account and sent an email with a link in it supposedly something that Oprah endorses. That is not from me. Sorry

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 28, 2015 at 9:05 am

Lincecum danced through raindrops in his last start and was was due for a steamer and squeezed one off last night. I think zummie posted last night that he’s ready for the inevitable departure of Lincecum. I don’t know if I’m in that boat yet. Indifferent might be a better description. He is who he is at this point. Gotta just hope for the best.

14. Carstie Clausen said, on April 28, 2015 at 9:06 am

Looking more and more like BB15 is gonna hafta bite the bullet and sit McG for a spell. Another ofer last night. Dude hasta be pressing bad.

15. Carstie Clausen said, on April 28, 2015 at 9:08 am

This year’s Timmy looks to be yet another casting of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Was tired AND sleepy last night so after top of the 2nd i headed up to bed, simply having that feeling about #55 after he squeezed out of the First. Mr. Hyde on the mound does not inspire much confidence and sticktoitiveness.

16. zumiee said, on April 28, 2015 at 9:14 am

The Orioles game at Camden Yards has been postponed. A momentary victory of sorts for people in poverty who usually feel pretty powerless. They were able to shut down a major league game. Riots like this only have a momentary momentum. To be a true “army” takes supply lines and infrastructure and whatever. Riots tend to exhaust themselves, and then ultimately what was gained, other than a fleeting feeling of power? In the May issue of National Geographic there’s an article about signs of rebirth in Detroit. The article talks about the “white flight” from Detroit after the ’67 riots there, and the general economic hardships of Detroit since then. Some young entrepreneurs, artists, and bohemians have started moving in because of low housing and building costs, that phenomenon that has happened in so many places over the years, like the Haight Ashbury district in SF, in Brooklyn these days, etc. Then when the bohemians make a place cool, the people with more money start to move in. But, other than watching The Wire, I have to say, I know very little about Baltimore. But then again, The Wire does have a lot in it.

17. zumiee said, on April 28, 2015 at 9:23 am

Pawlie wrote this so well: “riots that were orgies of self-destruction. I could see it potentially happening in my city, today, easily; and many cities. And the victims would be the very people who could least afford it, in pain or consequence.”
    No doubt, for a brief time it’s an awesome feeling of emotional release and power, and sense of justice, for the rioters. and it gets the nation’s attention. But then what? How do you build bridges to people as you are burning bridges to people?

18. willedav said, on April 28, 2015 at 9:45 am

Giants currently 10th in NL for ERA, dead last 15th hits given up, 12th in runs 13th in ER. All this with benefit of 10 home games at ATT in first 20, and have given up 20 more runs than they have scored.
    Past time for a Petit start next go round: after 2 more in Latrine (and an off day) Giants are at home for 10 days straight vs. Angels Pads Marlins before a day off and another road trip.

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2015 at 10:17 am

Doesn’t look like Petit will get a start anytime soon. All of the projections show Vogey getting the start tomorrow against Grienke. I have mentioned this before…I think between the two (Petit and Vogey) that Bochy must feel that Vogey is more comfortable in the starter role, and Petit more comfortable in long relief, and that is how he is going to rack-and-stack ’em for now.

19. mrsprtdude said, on April 28, 2015 at 10:31 am

Just to clarify..I’m not saying TL is good. I’ve played fantasy for 20 plus years and know the numbers behind the numbers. If we had to rank the issues we face left field and 5th starter are not high on the list. Just as i said about Zito in the past. Compare TL to other 5th starters, and not to his old cy young self or the contract, and he is doing ok. It’s early but our ace compared to other number ones? We lose, our number 2? lose, our 3? you get the idea..
    TL gives up 23 hits in 22 innings Mad bum 28 hits in 23 innings.

Aoki is playing great and TL is a servicable 5th starter. Belt not hitting, Posy at .250 with a lousy slugging percentage. Just fod for thought…Lets hope Bum turns back into a prince and we beat CK again!

• chipower9 said, on April 28, 2015 at 11:11 am

Tim has given up 10 BB (he and Vogey lead the team there). Madison – 4 BB. Again…this all ties into WHIP, which I think a better performance indicator.

20. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 28, 2015 at 10:44 am

Agree with you on Belt v Posey, sprtdude. Posey isn’t doing much either but he looks confident.

21. mrsprtdude said, on April 28, 2015 at 10:47 am

PS considering the 270 innings on Mad Bum last year, Cain post surgery (if he comes back), TL being TL losing velocity, and JP, TH, and Voggy all being over 100 years old maybe it’s time to think outside the box and be the 1st team ever to go most of the year with a 6 man rotation?

22. Macdog said, on April 28, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Orioles have announced tomorrow’s game will be closed to the public, so they’ll play with no crowd. Kind of like what the Marlins have every home game.

• Bozo said, on April 28, 2015 at 2:56 pm

I just read about that mac and in my opinion, that is one major fucked up idea. The players, umps, batkids, clubhouse staff, security, management, coaching staff, ownership and players still need to get in. That to me means pulling major amount of resources from the police to not only see those folks get in safely but surround the stadium while they play the game. Am I missing something on this? Postpone or move the games to DC or someplace if you need to get it in, but to hold it in Baltimore?

• Macdog said, on April 28, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Yeah, not sure why they don’t move it to DC with the Nats out of town. Or even Philly.

• Bozo said, on April 28, 2015 at 3:19 pm

I just don’t get it, hopefully this move doesn’t add to what is going on.

• zumiee said, on April 28, 2015 at 3:21 pm

They’re switching their home weekend series to Tampa Bay, although the Orioles will still be the “home team” and bat in the bottom of the innings.

23. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Wow. No fans? That’s got to be weird for everyone involved.

Timmy was Timmy is Timmy. He’s going to lapse and he’s going to scuffle. He’s going to hopefully hover around .500 and go 6 shakey. Sure he makes too much coin, but that’s under the bridge money.

There are issues all around, and frankly it’s good we are as close as we are. Posey is not doing much, nor is Belt and McDeepee. Panic, Pagan, Aoki, and the tablesetters are doing enough, but the RBI guys aren’t. Maxwell has been a spark, but for how long? LOB and GIDPs are the problem.

The team desperately misses Pence, but how long for him to be effective once back? Cain as well. They aren’t likely to hit the ground running, so this is a big mess til furthur notice.

24. gianthead said, on April 28, 2015 at 3:22 pm

I was reporting to Blade I was just in Baltimore last Thursday when I guess some of the protests started. But as part of the dichotomy of Baltimore County at least, I played in horse country which might be just 20 minutes from the middle of all the mess last night and seems literally a world away. It is like Kentucky being picked up and parked in this part of Baltimore Maryland.

surprised we did not see any kind of activity in DC around the Verizon Center after the hockey game…

25. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 28, 2015 at 3:25 pm

With 43 at-bats Belt is tied with the backup catcher postion (Sanchez/Susac).

26. gianthead said, on April 28, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Playing in an empty stadium makes no sense. After Monday was cancelled, they could have moved both teams to hotels in DC today, played tonight and then two tomorrow….

27. Bozo said, on April 28, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Not sure about you guys but sometimes a feel good story helps me out. I wish I had met Rugger when I lived in the neighborhood, We even hung at the same bar, damn.

28. zumiee said, on April 28, 2015 at 3:38 pm

What was done to Freddie Gray was an atrocity and hopefully some major reforms come out of it. A lot of the protesting has been done lawfully. It’s the rioters that suck up a lot of the news coverage, though. Throwing pieces of cinder block at police officers is incredibly counter-productive. Hopefully cooler heads will be prevailing.

• djloo27 said, on April 28, 2015 at 5:33 pm

Maybe some version of the shift would work, zum…

• Carstie Clausen said, on April 28, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Zum: If you access a few alternative media sites rather than the bankster-controlled mass media of misinformation and mind-control you will find that there is much suspicion that “crisis actors” as were used in both Boston and the school in Connecticut as well as police and possibly intelligence agency agents provocateurs have been part of what’s been happening in Baltimore. We live in a surveillance society and one in which the powers that be sometimes take what could be termed pro-active measures to increase the levels of fear and general social disruption.

29. pawliekokonuts said, on April 28, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Playing a game in private, closed to the public has got to be unprecedented in the history of sports, no? Bizarre.

30. gianthead said, on April 28, 2015 at 6:50 pm

And who here was ripping Panda so far this year??? He just ripped his 4th hit of the night and can you believe is now hitting .329???? Go Panda…

• gianthead said, on April 28, 2015 at 6:50 pm

and the last hit was from the right-side…

• giants54 said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:01 pm

I don’t want to hear about it. Especially watchin #14

31. sandog said, on April 28, 2015 at 6:59 pm

SD coming at you again live from Petco. School night games are usually not my jam, but some kids from my high school are part of a group singing the anthem in a few minutes, so here I am. 16 seats behind Padre dugout. ($42 on StubHub Wilco–not exactly a steal, but a helluva lot lower than face value for this seat. Looking forward to checking out the ‘Stro’s. Interesting pitching matchup, Tyson Ross versus the former Fausto Carmona.

• Flavor said, on April 28, 2015 at 7:02 pm

are you rocking Haad’s jersey?

• sandog said, on April 28, 2015 at 7:21 pm

(Richie) Incognito tonight.

• wilcojoe said, on April 28, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Sweet. I will look try and look for ya on the tube!

32. djloo27 said, on April 28, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Roberto Kelly: 1
    Dodgers: 0

33. djloo27 said, on April 28, 2015 at 7:15 pm

There’s your run, Snots…

34. James said, on April 28, 2015 at 7:45 pm

When Aoki’s OPS drops below Blanco’s, I am prepared to counsel Nori to take a few lessons from Gregor’s approach at the plate.

35. Flavor said, on April 28, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Dan Uggla. lqtm….

36. James said, on April 28, 2015 at 7:54 pm

37. djloo27 said, on April 28, 2015 at 7:55 pm

He ain’t God!

• James said, on April 28, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Pretty close.

38. Flavor said, on April 28, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Buster’s a trip. He doesn’t play like a 200 million dollar player almost ever. And then he goes and does that. Does that make him a 200 million dollar player? Cause all I usually see is a guy resting and getting maybe a hit a night……

39. wilcojoe said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:00 pm

Posey is 8 for 14 with 3 HR’s on the first pitch this year. That tidbit care of Vin Scully.

40. willedav said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:03 pm

I’d just sat down and Kuip is talking about Giants who have homered off Op, and Posey yanks one.
    He gets going that can help out any struggling SP.
    Flems on radio was raving about Duffy AB, taking a close pitch and then whacking a line drive past Rollins.

41. wilcojoe said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:06 pm

You gotta catch that shit.

• djloo27 said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Definite screw-up. Was he daydreaming out there?

42. djloo27 said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Every so often that Arias reminds you how useful he can be…

• djloo27 said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:32 pm

And every so often he doesn’t…

43. James said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:23 pm

The only player who has ever looked like he was worth $200,000,000 is Barry Bonds.

• wilcojoe said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Yep

• Lurker John said, on April 28, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Bingo.

• Bozo said, on April 28, 2015 at 10:20 pm

Yeah youright.

44. James said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Every umpire who refuses to call the high strike should be fired.

• James said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:36 pm

I’m expecting another “yep,” Wilco . . . .

45. xoot said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:37 pm

I live and work in Oakland. Past few years we’ve had our share of demonstrations turn into riots, but nothing like what’s happening in Baltimore. Anyone who thinks we’ve moved on to a “post-racial” society has his head up his ass. Vast numbers of African Americans in the flats of East and West Oakland can tell you otherwise. My office window looks down toward Oscar Grant Plaza (to the left) and we receive email warnings about upcoming demonstrations. Part of life here, as it should be.

On another note, to the right, I look right down on the Warriors workout facility. It’s on top of a parking garage attached to the Marriott. You should’ve seen the cars parked outside the gym today.

• djloo27 said, on April 28, 2015 at 8:44 pm

I think another civil war is possible in America.
      Haves vs Have nots.

• James said, on April 28, 2015 at 9:00 pm

The alliances will be more complex, but the non-hipster, big bearded types like Charlie Blackmon will definitely be on one side.

46. unca_chuck said, on April 28, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Yeah, I’ve been saying that for a while. If the current philosophy of giving to the rich continues, I’d see something happening in 8-10 years, if not sooner. The have-nots and the anti-government folks (hard left and hard right) could eventually find common ground.

47. Lurker John said, on April 28, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Mad Bum deals out his best start of the season, Opie loses and the Giants have taken 4 of the first 5 from Los Angeles. Nice job, boys1

48. Macdog said, on April 28, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Beat C.K.!

• Bozo said, on April 28, 2015 at 10:23 pm

Didn’t see the game, but might have to in the morning. Two to One, my kinda game.

• Bozo said, on April 28, 2015 at 10:27 pm

Sorry mac, that was supposed to be a post not a reply. More rum or some sleep for me? Good win and goodnight.

• Macdog said, on April 28, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Haha, it’s all good when the Giants beat the Bums.

49. Jon R. Weeks said, on April 28, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Mad Bum and Kershaw have identical ERAs after tonight….3.73

50. mrsprtdude said, on April 28, 2015 at 10:48 pm

YES!!! 2 wins in games started by Kershaw. I haven’t looked but I think that is as many wins against him as his entire career previously.

51. snarkk said, on April 28, 2015 at 10:55 pm

McGuffin another 0-3, hitting .164.
    Just DL the guy, let him get his knee healthy, and his mind right. I don’t get playing a guy that is hurt, it’s not like he’s earning $20 million.
    I agree with the above takes on Bochy keeps Belt out for a few games after going 3 for 3, then throws him against Belt, whom he’s basically 3 for forever. I don’t get it. This from a supposed master of playing matchups…

• zumiee said, on April 28, 2015 at 11:47 pm

Belt did make some great picks on defense, though, especially that one in the 9th inning.

• zumiee said, on April 28, 2015 at 11:51 pm

Yeah, McG’s gotta go. His swing is so messed up right now. K & K talk about how he’s hitting the ball hard, but all he’s doing is pulling the ball right into the defense. He needs to try to use the whole field, because he’s not a power guy.

52. zumiee said, on April 28, 2015 at 11:54 pm

How about MadBum barking at Guerrero after he spun a 360 and flipped his bat down after flying out. MadBum didn’t appreciate it. 🙂

• zumiee said, on April 29, 2015 at 12:04 am

Don’t mess with Big Country:

53. eddacker said, on April 29, 2015 at 12:22 am

nice win tonight, pressure off for the one in three. Interesting take on TL this morning as murf, mac and baggs all said the dodgers have figured out how to beat TL. TL said it himself: ‘didn’t adjust fast enough’ but listening to the game, didn’t watch but that is OK cause having KNBR everywhere is so cool. MLB even blocked the game playing on the internet radio in the UK. Anyway, listening it sounded like time had his pitches up which is his downfall. And he is not a strike out pitcher as much anymore. But at least the teams are still swinging and not waiting for one fat one or a walk. Belt’s defense tonight, as described by hall of fame broadcaster Jon Miller was exactly the kind of superior D he gives this team playing at first.

54. zumiee said, on April 29, 2015 at 12:34 am

The Red Sox might have the worst pitching staff in baseball. Sandoval went 4 for 5, the Red Sox scored 8 runs, and lost 11-8.