Weirdness, Winning

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 29, 2015

Dan Uggla hit a 3 run home run to propel the Nats to a W after they had been down 10-2. Madison Bumgarner beats Kershaw for the 3rd straight time. The unpredictable quirks of baseball are heard to see coming. And with the Braves still paying Uggla’s salary (roughly 78K last night) that Atlanta loss probably couldn’t have stung more….

The Giants, as usual, are near the bottom of the league in runs scored. They’ve squeezed out 63 runs which is tied with the Brewers are just ahead of the Phillies.

But when you score two and the other team scores one, 2 is all you need, right?

1. eddacker said, on April 29, 2015 at 6:18 am

Hey, we LEAD THE LEAGUE in runners left in scoring position. We are getting on base, how cool is that? Without men on base how would McDeePee lead the league in GIDPs?
    Today’s game with no one in attendance has to generate a lot of press today. MLK? Racism in modern day America? What? It’s an entertainment sports event? There’s a drought going on. And the flappers will be lookin’ to see some Angels losing it.
    Go Gigantes!

2. Carstie Clausen said, on April 29, 2015 at 6:46 am

Amidst the broad spectrum palette of Madison Bumgarner’s talents is one i had totally overlooked. The dude is an amazingly skilled opthalmologist. Despite the haze of cataracts and all, he fixed me up with a new pair of lenses which allows for everything to be cast in a wonderful roseate hue.

Bettering Opie the optometrist in chief for the LaBumbos, MadBum has served notice to baseball that the chances of Kershaw repeating as the NL Cy Young winner, to say nothing of being named League MVP have just taken a hard blow to the groin. It will be hard for the deciders to overlook the fact that when it comes to mano a mano confrontation, the Ace from Arkansas is blinking first.

From a Giants perspective, with Our Ace arriving at mid-season form before April is over ~ and that against the team leading the league in offensive production~ matters ARE looking rosy for the much maligned rotation. No doubt in my mind that Heston will recover from the Coors Field effect. With the care they are taking with his reinstatement, the Giants are likely to see the return of Matt Cain in two or three weeks and not unlikely to witness vintage Horse production by mid-June or so. To date, Hudson has pitched as well as one could hope for a star hurler in his announced retirement year. Properly used, he may not even run out of gas before season’s end.

Questions arise with starters five through seven, Vogie, Timmy and Peavy. But when you talk fifth starter you are not looking for a high-performance machine, just a warm body to fill in the blanks. With 3 to choose from, that should be a go.

When you have an Ace to set the pace, the entire Rotation tightens up, and with them the relief corps as well. My congratulations to the man who is in the process of unseating the NL’s #1 starter.

• vogelsheiner said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:49 am

think he’s from Texas.

• ewisco said, on April 29, 2015 at 11:45 am

went to Highland Park High School in Dallas with my nephew.

3. blade3colorado said, on April 29, 2015 at 6:47 am

Damn, couldn’t embed it. Disregard.

4. alleykat69 said, on April 29, 2015 at 6:58 am

Yeah definitely all is good when we beat the dogpile& Kershaw.
    And yes we might scratch out runs with this offense, but it’s nothing as bad record wise (9-12) as the Brewers with there 4-17 record and 10 and out of it already record..

5. willedav said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:14 am

Zum brought up good point re: Belt and his D last night, couple great scoops and snagging the Casilla 90 mph scud.
    And yeah, if your SP holds them to 1, then 2 is all you need. Nice to see Posey with both rbis and an HR.

Interesting read yesterday in F/G on Alex Guerrero. Guy is raking but doesn’t really have anywhere to play and allegedly there is concern about best defensive spot for him. Flem on radio said he didn’t look too good on the Pagan double.
    Anyway, writer made a point that maybe there is advantage in reversing traditional move to bring the better defensive player in late game (like SF used to do with Burrell)—in a close game with today’s crop of super set up men and closers, maybe it’s best to start the better glove guy and then bring the better hitter in later.

Tough matchup today, Vogs vs. Greinke, Maybe baseball gods allow SF to pull one out like Uggla.

6. willedav said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:47 am

Lot of offense yesterday in other games, with 7 different teams scoring 10 or more. Including of course Braves who scored 12 and lost, blowing leads of 9-1 and 10-2. And the Astros, who pounded out 3 more HRs at Petco and 17 hits in 14-3 thrash of Pads. They knocked out Tyson Ross and scored off every reliever that followed, including 4 in an inning and a third off Giants nemesis Despaigne. Altuve, a really cool player, had 4 hits and is now at .348.

Stros swept the A’s up here (nice !) and have scored 39 runs last 4 games, winning them all and 9 of last 10 to sit atop AL West by 4 games. Good for them, great to see them the turn division upside down.

Like to see Giants who are still dead last, do the same. Isn’t Greinke something like 21-1 vs. NL West?

• chipower9 said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:57 am

Good call WillieD – 21-1. Love the attached article…talks about how the Dodgers “The Dodgers have dominated their division since the start of the 2013 season, compiling a 87-65 record within the division.” But, how many World Series titles do they have in recent history??? BAM!

Fuck the bums. BEAT LA!

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:33 am

Nice win last night. Early returns on Aoki, McDP and Maxwell have been interesting eh? I’m liking Aoki. He’s fun to watch.

• chipower9 said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:58 am

Yep…I am digging Aoki. Dude gets on base…is hitting for average, and really has not been the embarrasment many thought he would be in the OF. Definitely a good pick-up by Sabes and crew.

8. willedav said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:46 am

Pagan so far with 21 games played out of 21.
    Batting .357, OB of .389 OPS+140 second only to Maxwell.
    team leading 6 doubles, .841 OPS second to Max .450 slugging.
    Tho Giants winning pct. with him in the LU taking a hit so far.
    Salud!

9. Bozo said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:57 am

Off subject but in my mind a true public service announcement. If any of you come to New Orleans, take my advise and go to Brigtsen’s restaurant. Every time I eat there, I’m reminded of why it is one of my favorite places to eat anywhere. Today is lunch at Mandina’s so after that I think I’ll go find a place that will spray paint Good Year on me.
    Back to your normal programming – Beat LA.

• wilcojoe said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:11 am

I will have to check that out next time I’am over there, which can’t come soon enough.

• blade3colorado said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:13 am

Love New Orleans – vacationed there once and have worked there (Katrina effort, where our agency sent a contingent of workers to do “blue roof” and debris cleanup. Man, that was a miserable, but very rewarding time). I stayed at the W hotel during my vacation there – very, very nice. Next time I go Bozo, I am going to hit those restaurants you identified above and grill you on other places to go. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on April 29, 2015 at 10:06 am

Love that city! Between the food and music, it really does not get much better. I took a look at Brigtsen’s web site/menu. Looks awesome!

Have you ever ate at Mena’s, John? I had a cabbie (local born and raised New Orleans) turn me onto the place when inquiring about a place for lunch. Lots of locals…the food was THE BOMB.

And of course, I always have to have some beignets and chicory coffee at least once per visit.

I am jealous as hell, dude. Enjoy!

• Bozo said, on April 29, 2015 at 5:09 pm

Mena’s? I haven’t eaten there, Mona’s (Greek place) on Frenchmans I have. I know this sounds kinda weird but I bring my Peets French Roast with me because I’m not a big fan of the the coffee down here. Anyway, thanks Chi, we are having a good time.Cheers my man.

10. sandog said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:10 am

@Wille: I had a seat behind the dugout last night at Pads game and watching Altuve was amazing. He is such a little dude and he was hammering everything. I don’t know what is up with Petco, but I’m seeing things this year I’ve never seen before like right handers hitting opposite field homers. Wil Myers also flew one over the home bullpen in left center, and I’ve never seen anyone do that before. It was kind of interesting as Myers leads off for the Pads, which reminds me of Brian Downing (one of my favorite non-Giants of all time) leading off for the Angels. Myers bunted for a base hit and later Carmona knocked his ass down with a fastball right at his ear hole—payback for the bunt???? The thought crossed my mind. Then later Myers blasted that one off him. Great game-within-the-game stuff, I thought. As I think Zumi mentioned a few weeks back, Myers does have the vibe about him that he is a bit of a tool. Kind of looks and carries himself like a real-life Nuke LaLoosh.
    Wilco–Obviously, I caught the Astro’s on a good night, but they looked damn good. If we ever did send Belt to Houston, I wouldn’t mind seeing that Marisinick guy coming back as part of the package in return. He looked great last night in limited action. I expected to find out he was a hot prospect, but it sounds like he is a bit past that stage. Anyway, I’d take a flyer on him in a second.

• blade3colorado said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:15 am

Marishnick is unbelievably hot right now. Came through big time for me in daily fantasy.

• wilcojoe said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:19 am

Yeah, Marisnick has been a nice surprise. He plays a superb CF, but the question coming into the season was his bat. He has been their most consistent hitter thus far. He came over in the Jared Cosart trade last year along with a top 3b prospect named Colin Moran.

11. blade3colorado said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:31 am

Tanaka-san on the DL again? Shit load of money down the rabbit hole for the Yankess (again).

12. vogelsheiner said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:50 am

Saw Altuve…he’s a trip. 5’6 plays like 6’2

13. chipower9 said, on April 29, 2015 at 10:10 am

Kick ass win last night. Big Country beats Opie, again. WHOOP!

14. chipower9 said, on April 29, 2015 at 10:37 am

In case you missed it last night (as I did…got home late from a class with my dog)…

Time for this guy to get hot…

Beat the bums!

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 29, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Whelp, the Orioles game is happening. In a sad twist it is the free game on MLB.com today.

16. wilcojoe said, on April 29, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Blade and Flav, I finally gave in and signed up for fanduel today. The hype was too great to ignore. Any tips on best contests to enter and more importantly best sites to browse for strategy (I.e. Splits, hitter vs. pitcher history, etc…). This is my first venture into fantasy anything. Thanks!

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 29, 2015 at 1:45 pm

first venture into fantasy ANYTHING?! I can’t assert the same.

• wilcojoe said, on April 29, 2015 at 2:06 pm

I guess I misremembered. 😉

• blade3colorado said, on April 29, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Flavor has been lights out. Lately, I’ve only been holding my own, but he’s killin’ it WJ. So, I’ll defer to him. I will say this – get a free account at Rotogrinders and read the daily articles, along with Chris Prince’s Beermakers video tips (usually he does this daily) before you commit your LUs. Also, initially concentrate on 50/50s and H2H matches to build up your bankroll. Again, talk to Flav – baseball is his life. lqtm . . .

• wilcojoe said, on April 29, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Awesome, thanks Blade. Is there a way to view the record of the person your going head to head with?

• blade3colorado said, on April 29, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Excellent question. Yes. On FD and Draft Kings. Also, if a person has registered at Rotogrinders (their FD & DK accounts), you can access this info. WJ, I stay away from guys and gals (there are some excellent women players) that have something like this next to the H2H – 15X, 9X, etc., which denotes total number of LUs they have entered with that LU. Usually ringers that gamble 24/7. Smaller fish to fry. However, I also like to play these guys to reverse engineer their strategy.

17. pawliekokonuts said, on April 29, 2015 at 1:55 pm

#swagger. Love our royal, kingly swagger. Bumgarner has it most, I’d say (exhibit A, crowing at Guerrero), but also a lot from Pagan, Crawford, Posey (quietly), Romo, Casilla, Affeldt, Vogie, Hudson, Panik, Pence, Blanco. (Do some Giants seem to lack swagger? Timmy pitches best when he has it.) Swagger. We Are the Champions!

18. pawliekokonuts said, on April 29, 2015 at 2:25 pm

A-Rod had a rough day: 4 SOs and a game-ending McGeeheeism. He’s chasing Willie Mays for 660, and the Yanks are terrified of publicizing something that may cost them millions.

• blade3colorado said, on April 29, 2015 at 2:30 pm

He’s one behind Willie, right? I actually feel some sympathy toward him after reading an excellent article about him in spring training. Many childhood issues which in part explains his self esteem insecurities.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 29, 2015 at 2:33 pm

He doesn’t bother me; what bothers me is the shallow fickleness of many Yankees fans. Granted, many SF fans go the other way and blindly laud Bonds. I guess my point is, it’s easy to demonize someone and easy to be hypocritical. Does that make sense? I imagine willie will be relatively quiet about this. (His birthday is May 6.)

• blade3colorado said, on April 29, 2015 at 2:40 pm

I read that Willie likes ARod. So does Barry.

19. djloo27 said, on April 29, 2015 at 3:34 pm

It’s a meaningless stat. Mays can never be defined by numbers…

20. Flavor said, on April 29, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Wilco– I’ll try to shoot you an email when I get home. Welcome to DFS!

• wilcojoe said, on April 29, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Thanks Craig! I am currently in 37,815 place out of 37,966 in one of my contests, so I could use all the help I could get.

• Flavor said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:07 pm

lol, been there. It’s competitive. But again, if you’re entering multiple teams in a tournament, don’t sweat the losers as long as you have one that hits. And if all your teams suck, again, don’t sweat it. It took me a year and a half to figure out how to be profitable in this.

21. Flavor said, on April 29, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Ok Joe, I fired off a “welcome to DFS” introductory email and cc’d Blade. Be in touch.

22. Lurker John said, on April 29, 2015 at 6:36 pm

“They’ve squeezed out 63 runs which is tied with the Brewers are just ahead of the Phillies.”

That’s a Phillies team whose 3-4-5 hitters are hitting for a combined .159 BA, which is mind boggling in and of itself. The Giants are getting guys on and not getting them in. Somebody needs to start picking these guys up. Being mentioned in the same breath with the current iteration of the Phillies is not good.

23. Carstie Clausen said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Aoki is aokay in my book. .392 OBP and a nice run of stolen bases. Pence’s return to action should stabilize the RBI lineup behind him. Pagan’s continued excellence and Posey’s return to form bodes well too,

24. unca_chuck said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:33 pm

I guess the good news is it wasn’t a 3 run job.

Oh fuck me.

25. Flavor said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Joc Pederson, good Palo Alto High kid, is starting to piss me off……

26. unca_chuck said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Some one put him out of our misery.

27. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Man, that was quick.

28. James said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Please, just eliminate Timmeh and Vogey now. They will drag this team into the shitter.

• Flavor said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Not sure why you’re lumping Timmy into the Voggy shitbox unless you’ve got an ax to grind with him

• James said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Because he is washed up, and has been for 4 years.

• Flavor said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:41 pm

and by the way, if you are eliminating both of them, who are your 2 nominees for entry into the SP rotation? And before you post that, where are your anti-Petit posts based off his shit fuck performances this year? Crickets?

• willedav said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Way more potential benefit for Petit, who just needs the work.
        And is quite a bit more deserving.
        Vogs in way overdone and Lincecum is next coming of Machi, 1-2 inning 6th 7th inning guy.

• Flavor said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Ok, but if you bail on both Timmy and VOggy and decide to take a flier on Petit, who has never succeeded long term as a SP in the ML’s, than who is the 2nd guy to plug in?

29. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:44 pm

A Stan Lee bobble head would be pretty sweet.

• Flavor said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:45 pm

back in the day, you could’ve have caught me willingly red handed rockin’ the Stan Smith’s. I bet San Diggity used to have to rent out a storage facility to accomodate his Stan Smiths. But I’ll let him speak for himself on that, maybe I’m way off………

30. unca_chuck said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:44 pm

McDerpee has NO power on his ABs. Why the fuck is he playing?

31. willedav said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:44 pm

I’m with you James. Will someone pls stick a fork in vogs?
    That’s the f-ing problem with 1 start like last week—it deludes everyone including mgmt. into thinking that’s the real thing. The real thing is what happens tonight, which cannot continue.

• Flavor said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:47 pm

I’m not anywhere near lumping Timmy into this fuckfest created by Voggy but as a Voggy-apologist I will concede, he’s done.

• willedav said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:53 pm

I think ceiling for Lincecum would be Affeldt. Come in to start an inning fresh and get guys out from both sides with a K.
        But less innings pitched the better, like maybe 50 some a year. Run him out there for 150 and there are way too many outings like Monday where he gets lit up and yanked all over the yard.

32. unca_chuck said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:50 pm

I foresee another DL stint for another starter, ie Vogie. I think they’ve been curtailing petits innings for just this scenario.

Can we get a jack?

33. unca_chuck said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:51 pm

But of course.

34. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:53 pm

I’m gonna have to ask for clarity on Stan Smith here. The tennis player, American Dad cartoon?

• Flavor said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:20 pm

oh yes, the tennis player.

35. James said, on April 29, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Timmy has been every bit as crappy this year as he’s been since his fastball velocity dropped below 92-3 MPH in 2012. He will not get better, no matter how much wishful thinking anybody engages in.

• Flavor said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:19 pm

he’s been our 2nd best SP this year. And while I agree with you that he’s not going to *get better* he has BEEN BETTER than his recent shit seasons so far this year. And it’s easy to spew venomous bullshit about the players you hate but it’s not so easy to offer up realistic replacements, is it? Stick to hating Timmy, it’s your specialty…..

36. Macdog said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:03 pm

VogelSwansong.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:13 pm

brilliant, and sadly true

• Macdog said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:24 pm

A co-worker came up with that one.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:38 pm

I’m glad you are a worker so you can have a co-worker. (Is AP style ‘coworker’?)

37. djloo27 said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Vogs is probably a goner when Cain and/or Peavy are activated.
    Yuks gets dumped when they pick up Beltre from Texas – the sooner the better…

38. pawliekokonuts said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:15 pm

What the heck, leave him in if he’s trying to get into the record books with 11 homers allowed.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Baggs just tweeted the record is five at Chavez Ravine for an SF pitcher, Livan Hernandez, in 2001. Can easily top that.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:31 pm

SF farmhand Kevin Correia gave up 4 bombs at L.A. Look where it got him!

39. blade3colorado said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Vogy’s wife may cut him off after this outing . . . Pfffttt!

40. djloo27 said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Giants PR department would have announced today’s Oriole game as a sellout…

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:20 pm

hahahaha . . . and termed Vogy’s performance what? Promising?

• wilcojoe said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Ha!

41. pawliekokonuts said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:23 pm

It was the beard, Vogs. Karma hirsute.

42. unca_chuck said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:23 pm

James, Timmy’s a 5 now, he’s not the ace. And he occasionally puts together solid games. He doesn’t need to be anything more than a coule games near the .500 mark. If you are going to worry about anyone, it’s Huddy and Cain.

• Lurker John said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Huddy’s pitched pretty well overall and Cain is working his way back. The Giants are understandably being cautious, but he’s not in line for TJ surgery, as has been prognosticated here. Peavy coming back and having any kind of sustained success seems like a dubious proposition to me. More than anything, Lincecum needs to eat innings.

43. djloo27 said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:25 pm

I bet Mattingly remembers this game:

44. blade3colorado said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Craw was all over that pitch. Nice 🙂

45. pawliekokonuts said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Well, it’d be amusing to forge a rally and a win or a ND for Vogie, wouldn’t it? Then again, that would mean another start from him. Ugh. La.

46. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Who was the last guy to get caught with a corked bat? Albert Belle?

• djloo27 said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:34 pm

I think Sammy Sosa, dirt…

• blade3colorado said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Yep

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Good call. Sosa, Guerrero and Sabo since Belle in ’94. Sabo. Guy with the Reds that wore those goggles. Nobody wears sport goggles anymore.

• djloo27 said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Amar’e Stoudamire does, dirt…

• Lurker John said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:32 pm

lol. Chris Sabo. Don’t know how I remember that.

47. James said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Chuck, ERAs of 5.18, 4.37, and 4.74 while pitching at ATT could be put up by any number of AAA pitchers not named Kickham.

• blade3colorado said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Timmy is loved by the fans, thus the long rope. I doubt you will EVER see the organization embarrass him with a faceless Triple A player taking his place. I never liked the last 2 contracts he received and wish his exit would have been more graceful then the face plant we’ve been seeing fairly regularly the last 4 years. Regardless, he isn’t going anywhere until his contract expires this season IMO.

• James said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:52 pm

You’re undoubtedly right, Blade. I just want this team to be playing meaningful games into September.

• blade3colorado said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Well, you’re right too. Timmy is essentially getting by on guile . . . His fastball sucks as you pointed out and unless your name is Maddox with pinpoint control, then you’re not going to be very successful.

• Lurker John said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:35 pm

If only. He still has that devastating change.

48. unca_chuck said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Take a look st the other 5s. Are they sporting 2.90 ERAs? No.

• James said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Nope, but those numbers are unacceptable for any major league starter who has the advantage of pitching at ATT.

49. zumiee said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Kontos, he….ah, nevermind.

• James said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:47 pm

George is really frustrated that you didn’t notice him when he was mowin’ em down, Zumie.

• zumiee said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:02 pm

🙂

50. djloo27 said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:50 pm

The way the ball is carrying to right-center, I think Belt should be good for one before the night is over.
    This game is still winnable. I’m looking for late inning heroics from the much maligned Pinata…

51. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 29, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Nice defensive plays at least.

52. zumiee said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Did D2X learn all of his stall techniques from Joe Torre? Slow the game down and bore the other team into submission.

• James said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:17 pm

Another great San Diego band:

• sandog said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:21 pm

I’m ashamed you know more about the SD music scene than I do. I did see Lucy’s Fur Coat put on a good show in the Tower Records parking lot down by the Sports Arena years ago. Do you remember them?

53. sandog said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Busy day, late to the blog.
    Hell yes, I’ve rocked many a pair of Stan Smith over the years. They were pretty much my shoe of choice in high school. Every now and again I’d mix in a pair of those mesh Rod Laver’s with the green soles too.
    Love the “anyone not named Kickham line,” James! Not sure I buy it, though. For some odd reason, I’m cool with Vogey and Tim, though I don’t have much faith in either. Vogey is such a lightning rod on here, I’d hate to see him go and miss out on the wild ride that is the Vogey express. As for Timmy, I’m willing to let this Frank Tanana-like transition play out a little longer. In fact, I’ll give him the whole year. If it goes pfttttt, then I again will urge him to retire in the off-season.
    Yes, Joc Peterson looks like a total stud. I hate to bitch, what with 3 in 5 and all that, but I’d sure love to see us develop a Joc or a Puig or an Ethier or a Kemp. Hell, I’d even settle for a Van Slyke or a Marisinick.
    Giant PR department line is funny stuff! That was wild watching those highlights. Kind of reminded me of the Dolphins-Jets game with no announcers way back when.

• James said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:29 pm

The Tanana gambit is nice, but . . . Frank was on the mound the day the As were bumped from the playoffs for the first time after the 3 WS wins. I was there whooping it up with another long suffering SF fan.

54. sandog said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Anyone watching MLB feed with Scully on the call? I still think he is damn good. Earlier he was telling stories about talking to Warren Spahn about pitching. How bad-as is that? He said Spahn told him once that he felt he had command of all his pitches about 75% of the time he was on the mound. How many games did Spahn win in a Giants uni? I would guess 6, though that feels a little high.

• djloo27 said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:35 pm

He was 3-4 in ’65, dawg…

• zumiee said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:38 pm

He was classic old school. Pitching 20+ years, and winning 300 games, and also taking shrapnel and winning the Purple Heart in the Korean War.

55. unca_chuck said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Hah! I remember that but I don’t remember why they did it, Dawg.

He’s a 5, James. He’s Timmy. It’s more than numbers.

56. sandog said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:23 pm

• James said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:40 pm

The tortoise shell cat that’s sitting on the couch next to me is named Lucy.

57. zumiee said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:34 pm

I’m diggin’ the San Diego music, fellas.

I’m on a big Richard Thompson kick at the moment, which happens to me periodically.

58. zumiee said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Some other teams have lit up this Hatcher dude. He’s not that good.

• willedav said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Kruk seems pretty enamored of Dodgers pen guys, tho not sure why.

• zumiee said, on April 29, 2015 at 10:01 pm

I guess it’s his way of deflecting some blame from the Giants hitters.

59. zumiee said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:49 pm

McBuzzkill with his usual non-major league AB.

60. unca_chuck said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:50 pm

McDeepee has got to go already.

• zumiee said, on April 29, 2015 at 10:00 pm

He’s like the Tejada signing. Tejada was released before his one season with the Giants was over.

61. willedav said, on April 29, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Stros complete sweep of pads 7-2. Altuve couple more hits and they scored 3 off Kimbrel in non save situation.

Buddy of mine hit Raley field Monday night and had great time. Said everyone there was great, team won 6-5 and Strick wiped them out. He can be a pretty salty guy, so I wasn’t surprised to hear him say he was sitting near visiting dugout and giving guys Strick k’d a full ration..

So here’s why I want to see TL in the pen, any time after Cain comes back: if he and Strick can be viable relievers it will open up room to trade someone like Romo. A team like Detroit would kill for a clutch reliever like that, maybe Boston too and Sox are supposed to have tons of good prospects.
    I’d really rather they didn’t trade Belt so I’m seeing Romo as most expendable/easiest to replace/most likely to bring back quality.

62. zumiee said, on April 29, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Well, we got one win in this series, which is fine. Time to take it on back to AT&T and try to have a solid homestand.

63. willedav said, on April 29, 2015 at 10:30 pm

I just didn’t expect Giants to be dead last at 9-13 after all these games vs. NL West..
    I don’t think division is all that strong outside of LA, and Pads don’t seem like a playoff team to me. Their pitching isn’t as good as advertised and they’ve given up a lot of HRs, even at Petco.

64. Macdog said, on April 29, 2015 at 11:20 pm

‘Bochy said Vogelsong will stay in rotation.’ Pleasant dreams.

65. snarkk said, on April 30, 2015 at 12:06 am

The other day is said Bochy was going to turn Voggy “lose” on LA, then I changed it to “loose” for correction. Lesson learned: always go with the first version…