Flapalooza Brings Home Yet Another Victory

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 3, 2015

Casey McGehee began his assault on May player of the month honors by banging out 3 hits yesterday. And while that’s an award that will likely allude him, it was nice to see him start to snap out of whatever it is he’s been in this year. This dude had 177 hits last year. That’s a lot. Pablo has had more than that in a season once and last year didn’t come close with 164. Will Clark, my favorite player of all time, eclipsed 177 hits in a season but a single time. McGehee is not some chump off the street. He doesn’t have to be Panda or Clark. But I’d settle for David Bell. I think we all would.

My phone got inundated with Flapper photos around the 4th inning yesterday. Looks like everyone had a great time. Steve et al, feel free to dump as many photos as you would like in the Photo Bucket. If you don’t know how to do that, please don’t guess, just email them to me. I’ll be out all day, though.

1. Bozo said, on May 3, 2015 at 6:33 am

It sounds like a good time was had by all, at the Flap game. Cheers to that.
    Twenty four games into the year and Craw still leads the team in HRs and RBIs. I’m glad for Craw but I think Mr. Posey needs to pick it up a bit.
    James-I think you mentioned the Dixie Cups, saw them yesterday with Wanda Rouzan and Jean Knight. Did Best Hits kind of set. Speaking of best hits, Jerry Lee, at 79, looked less dead than the last time I saw him and got a very huge crowd fired up. The Killer killed em. Gotta love that.
    Lat day in New Orleans, start back to NC tomorrow AM, looks like I’ll get back in time for the first named storm of the season. Boo to that.

• Lurker John said, on May 3, 2015 at 10:11 am

Agree, Posey needs to go on one of those RBI tears he’s known for. I’m hoping for 15 homers from Craw this year.

2. willedav said, on May 3, 2015 at 7:42 am

Bozo, thanks for chiming in with NO report. Safe drive, man.

Loo’s right, fight was a dud. Floyd Sr. raging at him in the corner more interesting than Jr. Post fight interview comments seemed pre-planned. And you can understand Pac saying he thought he won the fight because he did press the action, but just couldn’t land often enough. Did rock him tho with that early left.

Even with all the hits he got last year, Mac was a .700 OPS guy, just like Blanco. When a team lets a guy walk like that, makes you suspicious.

@ Pawlie: check out Ruth Ozeki. I read All Over Creation from 10 years ago, about potato farming (and p-r firms and genetic engineering in seeds/food) in Idaho but anything but boring. Has a new one I’ll get to and also one involving meat industry p-r. Thanks for tip on Richard Price and his old stuff and new one just out set in LA.

Last Flap do I was able to make I met Ted, who had a misadventure going from Peninsula watering hole to gf in San Jose and then back to SF. He’s in the pix from when Snarkk gave the Flap shirt to Flav…hope he’s OK.

• djloo27 said, on May 3, 2015 at 11:47 am

Just watched it again, Willie. It was a little better the second time, but still a disappointment…

• willedav said, on May 3, 2015 at 12:21 pm

when he actually moved forward and jabbed, Mayweather dominated. Pac backed off , didn’t punch, and got hit with either the jab the left hook or that right. He just did it so seldom, content to back up and move away while Pac ran at him or just stood there unable to get off a punch at Money. No inside fighting either, because he held immediately. I love to watch inside action with guys trading body shots and uppercuts or hooks.

3. djloo27 said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:58 am

I’m not too big on Clint Eastwood, but I love that thing zumie puts up after a victory at the end of a thread…

• willedav said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:11 am

Yeah that’s a good one.
      At our house in the black and white days TV westerns were pretty big…Rawhide, great show about cattle drives, had young Clint in it, as “Rowdy Yates.”

• Flavor said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:23 am

100% total agreement. When I heard he was at flapalooza I texted Blade to “give zummie that Eastwood nod”

• blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2015 at 10:03 am

Noted and accomplished yesterday. Best airport in the world? San Jose, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Departure or arrival, I always zoom through. Just did the drop off (via my mom), no check in – since I NEVER take luggage, security a breeze, and sitting at the South West gate typing this. Total time? Five freaking minutes! Ahhhhh . . .

4. Lurker John said, on May 3, 2015 at 10:13 am

After all the early woes, G’s are 7-3 in their last 10 and against good teams. With Pence coming back soon, and hopefully Cain not too long after, there’s hope yet. Huddy solid again yesterday.

5. Macdog said, on May 3, 2015 at 10:19 am

Today’s game features a former league strikeout leader. Oh, and Timmy’s pitching, too.

6. Macdog said, on May 3, 2015 at 10:24 am

For you Flappers at yesterday’s game: Would Panik have made the play if the ball gets through? Looks to me on the replays like he would have.

• blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2015 at 10:32 am

I truly don’t know Mac. It was a shot. Per Snarkk, he thought it would have been a hit.

• giants54 said, on May 3, 2015 at 10:45 am

Beat writers all said yes

7. Carstie Clausen said, on May 3, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Mets rumors on SB Nation blog have Sabean and an assistant in NYC taking in the Mets-Nats series. With Syndergaard and another highly rated young starter lurking in the wings NY has Dillon Gee and John Niese (decent enough 4th and 5th starter types) kinda hanging there taking up prime space. What would SF have to offer. Mets could use relief help. Affeldt maybe? Hector and Cody Hall packing material maybe?

Also on the rumor list was Daniel Murphy with David Wright temporarily on the DL and a hot young 2nd base prospect ready to take that position. Murphy is versatile at 2nd and 3rd. That one would hinge on McG continuing to emerge from his slump. An SP pickup is far more likely.

• djloo27 said, on May 3, 2015 at 1:20 pm

“Packing material” is condescendingly brilliant…

8. James said, on May 3, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Bozo, yeah I think I cited the Dixie Cups’ Two Way Poc A Way from a NOLA compilation I just got my hands on recently. Pop group playing stuff that sounds to these naive ears as if it’s straight off the streets. Very cool that you caught them again. The one time I saw The Killer was back in 79 or 80 at the Keystone Berkeley after the release of this pretty damn good LP : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Lee_Lewis_(Elektra_album). Have you heard the recently issued Knox Phillips stuff from the same era? Late 70s was a good time to check in on him, I think.

9. djloo27 said, on May 3, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Bombs away!

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 3, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Aoki with the kickass home run trot.

11. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Slappy hit one!!

12. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Back to back!!!!!

13. djloo27 said, on May 3, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Did we trade Vogelsong to the Angels?

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 3, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Sooo close to 3 in a row.

15. Macdog said, on May 3, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Cream Weaver.

16. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Belt swung at a 3-0 low breaking pitch that was breaking out of the strikezone. Driving yesterday, I heard Marty Lurie get on Belt the most I’ve ever heard Lurie do that. He was mainly saying why, after all these years, is Belt’s pitch recognition still not better than it is?

17. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 1:29 pm

James, how was the Sleater-Kinney concert? I dig that band.

• James said, on May 3, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Z, not transcendent as I’ve come to expect — the acoustics and mix got in the way — but this is one of the great live bands, so glad I went.

18. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 1:31 pm

McGiggles had his best game so far as a Giant yesterday, but he’s already gone E-5 today. Craw with the nice double-play to bail him out.

19. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 3, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Saw a report that Sabean is in NY watching the Mets and may be interested in Murphy to take over at 3b.

20. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 3, 2015 at 1:56 pm

At least Panik didn’t get hit by the ball there. Lulz. Not that I care but what happened to Weaver?

• James said, on May 3, 2015 at 2:00 pm

You mean why is he throwing batting cage velocity?

21. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Nice drive from Belt that time.

22. willedav said, on May 3, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Hopefully dubs get Barkley to back off. Griz getting plenty inside from Gasol and Randolph but still getting blown out by speed, 3s ball movement and balanced scoring. dubs actually outscored them in paint first half.

• Lurker John said, on May 3, 2015 at 3:14 pm

I was just thinking the same thing, Wille. I don’t care how much of a grind it out team Memphis is, they just can’t hang with the Warriors in most aspects of the game, imo. Today’s game was a perfect example. Inside outside, defense, rebounding, it doesn’t matter. I think the Griz will be hard-pressed to win one game in this series, especially if Conley can’t make a significant contribution.

Barkley is way off base characterizing the W’s as a “jump shooting team.” Makes you wonder if he even watches their games.

23. Macdog said, on May 3, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Sweep L.A.A.O.A.!

24. Carstie Clausen said, on May 3, 2015 at 3:24 pm

#55 today turned in a Dr. Jekyll performance right in line with many of his better ones over the years. No Mr. Hyde sightings. Eight Strong for Timmy! Will this one be the total yo-yo year or will he have it together more often than not? Time will tell. Rotation looking waaaay better with today’s gem.

Meanwhile the MudBug is now up to 14 RBI’s to lead the team and craw up on the league leaders in that category. Even close to the top in HR’s. Who knows, this could be his year. Liking that Bochy moved him up to the #6 role. So no stinger in the tail today as both McGiggles and Greg White committed ofers at the plate.

25. Lurker John said, on May 3, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Wow! Dubs roll, Giants sweep, Aoki-san goes yard and Timmy flashes the old Cy Young form. Woot!

26. Carstie Clausen said, on May 3, 2015 at 3:30 pm

And how sweep it is, Dog and Lurker. Brunhilda sighting due any time as the magic broomstick soars into the sun setting over the Bay this evening. Ah, for some of that good ol home cookin. Last season that was a problem with this bunch ~ until Postseason time.

Know what? Providing the injury bug stays away this team just possibly could turn into some mean competition. The upcoming incoming by the Dagos should tell us a lot. They always play us tough, but after the way SF was treated down there on the last visit to the southland maybe it’s payback time.

Jeeze, 12-13 sure looks a bunch better than what was it, three and nine? So let’s keep making hay in May and stay in tune to avoid the June swoon.

27. snarkk said, on May 3, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Timmeh!…

28. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 3:45 pm

A .500 season from Timmy; we’d take that in a nano-second. His next start is at AT&T again, which bodes well, and maybe we’ll see him teamed up with Buster again.

29. Flavor said, on May 3, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Timmy’s performance today, and in fact this entire season, is why it’s absurd to lump him and Voggy into the same conversation…….

• snarkk said, on May 3, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Absolutely spot on. I think it’s not coincidental that Tim pitches a gem with the best catcher we’ve got behind the dish. Normally, he’s got Hector, or Susac. Tim gets a better, smarter game called and maybe a better rhythm now with Posey catching. Hector is maybe simpatico with Timmeh, but his fair D and poor pitch framing doesn’t do Tim any favors…

• willedav said, on May 3, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Vogs, OK, I’ll agree with you there. He should retire and let Nicole take care of him full time.
      But the idea Lincecum has suddenly morphed into anything more than a #5 still very open to ?
      Giants fans have gone through this for what, 4 yrs now? He’s looks great and then he looks like shit, as in his last outing. Or even within the same game, striking guys out easily and then imploding like Johnny Sanchez.
      And whose C has zero to do with it, imo, but it was good to see Posey and Belt back in there at normal spots.

• willedav said, on May 3, 2015 at 5:56 pm

“…this entire season…” in which so far he has as many Ws as Bum, two guys that can’t possibly be compared.
      His next 3 outings should line up vs. Marlins, @Reds, home vs. LA. Teams that do know him/have seen him before, unlike Angels.
      Let’s see what the ERA, WHIP (which was awful before today at 1.50) etc. are at then.

I’m happy for the guy and the team, I just don’t trust it’s gonna last very long for him.

• snarkk said, on May 3, 2015 at 6:04 pm

I don’t expect Tim to go 16-6 or something with a 1.1 WHIP. But, do think he’s at a disadvantage with Hector’s “passed balls” and poor framing, which is pretty obvious. Tim needs all the called strikes he can get. The Angels are down in the lower end of batting stats in the AL, but they’re not a walk in the park …

• James said, on May 3, 2015 at 6:16 pm

See 1971, my first year as a fan: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gulledo01.shtml

• James said, on May 3, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Huh, guess my comment has been de-contextualized by Prof. Loo πŸ™‚

• djloo27 said, on May 3, 2015 at 6:32 pm

I apologize, James. I didn’t think anyone would care about my numbers obsessions.
        But as soon as I saw 16-6, I thought of Denny McLain in 1965.

• James said, on May 3, 2015 at 6:39 pm

No worries! I think I’m known to obsess about numbers, too, and I immediately remembered Gullet after seeing your post.

• James said, on May 3, 2015 at 6:05 pm

What I know right now is that:

1. Vogey had a better year in 2014 than any Timmy has had since 2011.
      2. Vogey can still can hit 90 on the radar gun
      3. Vogey is not very good

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 3, 2015 at 6:06 pm

Both Machi and Kontos have been tough as nails to date. Comes the return of Peavy, we could look at the Rivercats sporting a million dollar pitcher. Something about enchiladas.

30. snarkk said, on May 3, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Timmeh, 2 for 2 today, plus a walk.
    McDP, 0 for 4, plus his 4th error of the season…

31. Flavor said, on May 3, 2015 at 6:21 pm

I was searching for something on youtube and stumbled upon this. I was in Europe for the entire ’88 post season so I missed all of it. When I got back I think I watched this game on a VHS tape at my buddy’s. Can’t remember. Anyway, we’ve all seen the bomb a million times but this inning is worth watching again. Scully was outstanding. And the shades Mike Davis was rocking in the batters box is worth the watch alone. They look like shades I wore to a Halloween party as Elvis a few years back. Anyway, forget this is the Dodgers and it’s a great half inning to take it on a slow Sunday evening……

• James said, on May 3, 2015 at 6:32 pm

I hated the As so much at that time, I may have been happier than any Dodger fan . . . .

• Flavor said, on May 3, 2015 at 6:38 pm

How’d you feel about them the following year? lqtm. I was in France from Sept to Jan of ’88/’89 so it was the only post season I completely missed. Thus, I have no recollection of it other than the HR we’re forced to watch all the time. But the half inning was remarkable. Scully built it up perfectly and I had no idea that Gibson nearly grounded out to McGwire if not for the slightest of spins of the ball. And he basically completely interfered with Hassey on that Davis steal. Of course there were no other video angles back then so it wasn’t shown to us whether it would have mattered or not. That’s another thing about this video. Shocking lack of other video shots. Times have changed.

• James said, on May 3, 2015 at 6:51 pm

I was in Mexico with my ex in 89. We watched the WS (and earthquake) during an extended vacation we took to ride our bikes through the Yucatan peninsula and then down to Guatemala. I found a bar in Campeche to watch the first game. I was grateful that the physical distance also helped provide some measure of emotional separation.

32. Flavor said, on May 3, 2015 at 6:31 pm

and just trip on this for a moment: Steph Curry won the MVP. A GOLDEN STATE WARRIOR won MVP of the NBA. That is one of the weirdest sentences I’ve ever typed in my life. People that aren’t from around here wouldn’t understand that.

33. blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Friend (Jerry) picked me up at the airport, got coffee and then walked an open space park near my condo. Had an unbelievably delicious Vietnamese meal – quite comparable to what I’ve eaten in Vietnam. Got to my condo and unpacked and am astounded I only gained 3.5 lbs at my mom’s house. Simply amazing (albeit, still not able to button my pants past the zipper). Cue Rocky music because beginning tomorrow, this kid is going back to the no nonsense gym regimen.

So, I haven’t perused ESPN, SI, Yahoo Sports, Bleacher Reports, etc. Only the Flap and lo and behold, it sounds like the Giants sweep the Angels and Timmy pitches like the Timmy of old??? I wont even look at the specifics from the game yet, but tend to agree with James (6:05pm) and Willie’s comments above regarding Tim long term. I suspect the Angels just have never seen Tim before and they were flummoxed/out smarted by him. I’ve seen this tease too many times before. Regardless, I like what I am seeing from him and he is definitely performing as good or better then any #5 in the MLB. Good enough for me and if it gets better, that’s just gravy. πŸ™‚

34. Flavor said, on May 3, 2015 at 6:44 pm

the only redeeming thing about Voggy, the only thing that is keeping me from nailing that final nail in his coffin, is that he still has velocity. Now, he could be sacrificing location and just trying to throw the ball as hard as he can. But that seems unlikely. We could still yet see another Voggy resurrection……

• James said, on May 3, 2015 at 6:55 pm

And, sadly, that seems more likely than an ok season from Timmeh. In case that seems insincere, well, I’ll add that Timmeh is probably the only member of the Giants who would have dug the concert I was at last night.

35. snarkk said, on May 3, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Some of us at the game yesterday thought that a game ending on a ball hitting the runner would prove to be quite rare, but not so. Has happened lots, apparently. And, the fact that the Dodger game ended the same way yesterday is just weird…

• Flavor said, on May 3, 2015 at 7:31 pm

last time it happened was 2010.

36. snarkk said, on May 3, 2015 at 7:25 pm

If I’m going to rip on Timmeh for giving up gopher shit, especially on 0-2 counts, I’m going to also give his skinny ass well-deserved credit today for throwing a goose-egg with just 3 hits at a legit MLB team for 8 full. That lineup wasn’t some A ball outfit, it had Pujols and Trout and Calhoun. So, I’m enjoying this one and kudos to Tim for an excellent outing…

37. djloo27 said, on May 3, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Brewers fired their manager and are looking to clean house.
    Aramis Ramirez, anybody?

• wilcojoe said, on May 3, 2015 at 7:31 pm

They have some starting pitchers that would look good in a Giants uni as well.

38. wilcojoe said, on May 3, 2015 at 7:29 pm

What’s even more shocking is the Giants lead off back to back homers was the first of it’s kind since 1964. I am still not convinced that is right.

• djloo27 said, on May 3, 2015 at 7:33 pm

I’m pretty sure I saw Winn and Bengie hit 1st inning homers at Shea a few years ago, but probably not back to back…

39. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 7:32 pm

In October of ’88, both presidential campaigns came to my local area. (Remember when California used to be in play?!) The Dukakis campaign sent Lloyd Bentsen, and Bush, Sr. himself came to our area. I went to both, but I remember little about each appearance. I was very non-politically-minded in those days. At the Bush appearance, on the athletic field of a high school whose claim to fame these days is that Tim Olyphant of “Justified” and “Deadwood” went to that school, Mike Love of the Beach Boys was there, along with Chuck Norris. So Love takes a microphone at one point and leads the crowd in a “Good Vibrations” chorus with the words changed to “Bush Vibrations,” I kid you not. Hundreds of square right-winger women are singing about having Bush Vibrations, and I’m looking around, thinking, seriously folks? You don’t realize you’re part of a Monty Python sketch now?
    I was there with a right-wing friend of mine, who was into politics (and is still an ardent right-winger) and who was and is a big A’s fan. As we were leaving the Bush event, we were talking about the World Series that would be starting soon, and I remember telling him: “Game 1 is very important for the A’s to win, because of Hershiser pitching in Game 2. If the Dodgers can somehow win Game 1, and then Hershiser wins Game 2….” and my voice just kind of faded out.
    To this day, he says that footage at the end of Game 1 is impossible for him to watch. He says he can take watching Gibson hit the homerun, but it’s the arm-pumping KA-CHING thing that Gibson does on the basepaths that is unwatchable for him.

• Macdog said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:25 pm

β€œBush Vibrations,” LMFAO for all kinds of reasons.

40. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 7:45 pm

The Red Sox are going to be in a lot of wild games this year. They have good hitting, but lousy pitching. Tonight they were down 8-0, and have closed the lead to 8-5. They might be like the Reds in ’77 and ’78, who still had the Big Red Machine hitters, but lacked pitching. Gullet, for one, had gone to the Yankees as a free agent. He pitched less for the Yankees than I realized, though, when looking at that link that James posted. Speaking of which: James, I’m not sure why you posted that about Gullet. I was thinking you posted it to show how a great pitcher can flame out faster than people would have thought, making a comparison to Timmy?

• djloo27 said, on May 3, 2015 at 7:50 pm

James was commenting on something I posted but deleted, zumie.
      It’s all my fault. This editing stuff might be too much responsibility for me…

• Flavor said, on May 3, 2015 at 7:55 pm

just leave a , or something in the post. don’t ever delete it totally. Live and learn. Or is that not what happened? Timeline looks ok

• djloo27 said, on May 3, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Yes sir.

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 7:54 pm

No problem. Heck, I ended up finding the Gullet stuff very interesting. It was a reminder of how the birth of free agency undid the Big Red Machine. The Reds were resistant to paying the $$ of the brave new world, as opposed to the Yankees who went all in.

41. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 7:50 pm

The ESPN Sunday night baseball crew is unlistenable, IMO. The play-by-play guy is average, John Kruk is OK, but Schilling is the pits. And they do in-game interviews that destroy all flow of the broadcast. Tonight they had singer/songwriter James Taylor in the booth for an interview. I love James Taylor, but come on. Yeah, he recorded a song about Fenway Park, I get it, but still.

• Macdog said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:17 pm

“I’ve been to Red Sox games that I thought would never end.”

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:28 pm

LOL. πŸ™‚

42. mrsprtdude said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:00 pm

Cool Timmy did good after I defended him a bit. It’s usually the other way around. @ Craig..Re Curry MVP…almost as weird as living in So Cal for 28 years and knowing playing the Lakers is a gimme win…

43. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Great to hear you got home safely, Blade, you world-traveler! As I said yesterday, I’m a reader of National Geographic, but you LIVE the National Geographic, man!

• blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Zumiee, wasn’t that magical yesterday? I especially enjoyed meeting Ed for the first time. Most of you guys haven’t seen the photos Ed shot yesterday, but a few of them were amazing, including one where he was in another section of the park and shot us long distance (with a zoom? Dunno); and, one where 4 of us were walking down the street. Also, I’m glad Pee Wee and Unca Chuck stopped by.

Ironically, with all the conversation going on, this game I actually watched and kept fairly good tabs on . . . More so, then the previous Flapalooza I was at – which was also a lot of fun. πŸ™‚

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Yeah, great time! Thanks to you and Snarkk for putting that together!

44. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:07 pm

The team with the best record at the moment? Those relentlessly reloading robotic automatons of baseball, the Cardinals.

• snarkk said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:27 pm

As we discussed, zum, a very well run organization. It was obviously tough for them to cut Pujols loose, but they did it after he wanted to hold them up for even more cash. They made a good move, and he blew it. Another $40 million or some such he got, which is a ton of dough, I get it. But for what? He blew a legacy in St. Louis and a chance to play deep into more playoffs with them — in exchange for operating in relative obscurity for the second banana team in La La land…

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Plus, the Cardinals get points for eliminating the Dodgers two years in a row. πŸ™‚

• snarkk said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:52 pm

I hope they get ’em again this year. Cards are Kershaw Killers…

45. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:35 pm

The Panda strikes out and hears a few boos. He’s now something like 2 for 22 batting right-handed.

46. Bozo said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Keep moving Craw up the line up, dude should be batting 4th.

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:41 pm

There was a funny moment at the game yesterday when he batted for the first time. A group of middle-aged women sitting behind us went into Beatlemania-type mode. Crawford-mania.

• Bozo said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:10 pm

I’m loving that, Zum.

• Bozo said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Maybe it is time for some Crawfish hats. Cripes, I might even have one of those things around.

47. snarkk said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Per KNBR, hIts with RISP so far:
    Duffy is 6 for 15.
    McDeePee is 1 for 15…

48. pawliekokonuts said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Pretty good sports weekend, eh? Always nice to see the Giants beat the Angels, even if we win the World Series five more times in my lifetime.

49. snarkk said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Yep, great time with the Flappers at the ballyard yesterday.
    The thing is, these guys are all great on the Flap, but they’re all even better dudes in person …

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:03 pm

did Steve behave, counselor?

• snarkk said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Define “behave”… πŸ˜‰

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:20 pm

ya know, in a non-Thailand-Cambodia-Vietnam West Coast, congenial sort-of manner…

50. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Big drama at the end of the Red Sox/Yanks game. Bases loaded, two outs, down by three, Ortiz up, against Miller.

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Ortiz flies out, Yanks win.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:03 pm

game over; Ortiz no walkoff this time, tho’ he has 11 walkoff HRs

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Kruk floated the interesting idea of walking Ortiz with the bases loaded and going after Sandoval who has so much trouble hitting right-handed. That was probably a little too outside-the-box.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:13 pm

well, with AZ Buck Showalter did it to Bonds and it worked, right?

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Yeah, if the manager has the stones to actually make that move, it can make sense.

• djloo27 said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:19 pm

I believe he elected to pitch to Brent Mayne who lined out…

• snarkk said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:30 pm

I don’t see why that choice is considered outside the box. Walk Bonds and give up a sure one run, to pitch to a journeyman type dude, and still be ahead, or pitch to Bonds and risk a grand slam or triple or something, and lose the lead. I really don’t find the choice to walk Bonds that weird…

• djloo27 said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:37 pm

Yet we never walk fuckin’ “Goldy”…

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Yeah, it can make strategic sense, in the right situation, but how many managers would be willing to do it?
        It reminds me of that situation in football when the other team is ahead by 1 point and running out the clock near the opponents endzone. The right strategy, for the team behind, is to let the other team score, kick the extra point, and then have to kick-off, leading by 8 points, which keeps the trailing team still technically in the game. And yet, we hardly ever see coaches willing to do it. They’ll just let the clock run out on them and lose. It blows my mind. Green Bay did it in one of the Super Bowls (let the other team score at the end.) They didn’t end up tying the game, but it was the right strategy.

• blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Denver and Green Bay game. I think I have seen New England do it too.

• snarkk said, on May 3, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Yeah, on “Goldy” I’d walk his ass all the time. Timmy ought to just waive 4 fingers and let him head to first every friggin time up…

51. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Alright, who picked the Astros to be leading their division by 7 games on May 3rd? πŸ™‚

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:12 pm

or [earlier today] to hold the best record in baseball?

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:14 pm

They did well with all those high draft picks they got for being lousy for so many years.

52. djloo27 said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:23 pm

I secretly loved the old Colt .45’s with the tragic Walt Bond who I thought was going to be the next Stargell…

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Colt .45’s…..

• djloo27 said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:50 pm

53. snarkk said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Joe Lefebvre no longer asst hitting coach. Re-assigned to roaving scout duties…

• djloo27 said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Guess those back to back lead-off homers sealed his fate…

• snarkk said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:31 pm

I think it happened yesterday. Maybe he gave one last great thread of advice to Aoki and Panik. Supposedly for family reasons, his family is back in New England. Long time bud of Sabean…

• djloo27 said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Sabes, Bam-Bam, Rags, Lefebvre, Kelly all have Yankee bloodlines…

54. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Red Sox fans react to the Sox getting swept at home by the Yankees:

Spew.

by Senzafine on May 3, 2015 | 10:06 PM

Upchuck.

by Fromalabama on May 3, 2015 | 10:06 PM

Blow chunks.

by Senzafine on May 3, 2015 | 10:09 PM

• djloo27 said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Sounds more like the script from Wayne’s World…

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:45 pm

That Red Sox blog isn’t the most literate thing in the world. It’s about what you’d expect from a fan-base that is so quick to boo their own players at the ballpark.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 4, 2015 at 6:25 am

go-o-o-ld

55. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:43 pm

If the D-Backs are going to allow the Dodgers to steamroll over them all season, like last year, then the Dodgers will win the division. And that’s alright; we can win that one-game Wild Card match-up again. πŸ™‚

• snarkk said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Right now, the Doghairs are hitting and winning like the Giants did for the first 1/3 of last year. We know what happened thereafter, for the next coupla months…

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Yeah, some stuff has to come down to Earth. Maybe a sign of that with Pederson, 0 for 5, with 3 Ks today. You’d think the league, at some point, gets a book on the kid.

56. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 9:58 pm

The league’s definitely gotten a book on Maxwell. He sees a big dose of breaking pitches every AB. I hope he’s not just Bowker, part 2.

57. zumiee said, on May 3, 2015 at 10:05 pm

“SAN FRANCISCO — Giants right fielder Hunter Pence took pregame batting practice on the field Sunday for the first time since breaking his left arm in Spring Training.
    Pence took three rounds of batting practice and hit three home runs, one into the left-field stands and two to the left-center seats.
    “I’m working every day to get better,” Pence said after batting practice.
    Giants manager Bruce Bochy said Pence will take batting practice and “do all the baseball activities” for the next few days.
    “The progress he’s made the last few days, he’s pretty much gotten over the hump, turned the corner,” Bochy said. “He’s letting it go now.”
    Bochy said he should have “a pretty good idea” in a few days about when and where Pence will begin his rehab assignment. Sending Pence initially to extended spring camp in Arizona is a possibility, he said.
    “We’ll talk about it,” Bochy said. “We haven’t made that decision yet. It certainly is something we could do.””

58. snarkk said, on May 3, 2015 at 10:57 pm

MLB.com baseball experts gone mad, aka standard operating procedure:

Power rankings for MLB issued AFTER today’s games, inclusive of the weekend Giants SWEEP of the Angels…

1. Cards
    2. Dodgers
    14. Angels (11-14)
    18. Giants (12-13)

59. snarkk said, on May 3, 2015 at 11:48 pm

Richmond AA team has now lost 15 straight.
    Looks like help from below may be a long time coming…