A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Mighty Casey Has Been Designated

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 25, 2015

I always looked at Bobby Evans and kind of considered him Sabean’s butler. Or his *page*. How ’bout that, only 2 sentences in and I’ve already made a middle ages reference. But Evans boldly jettisoned McGehee yesterday in a move that Sabean never would have initiated. Maybe Evans still had to get approval from Sabes and maybe Sabes is feeding his baby bird with some autonomy. But letting a vet go (in May) who’s making 4.8 mil this year is certainly not “The Giants Way.”

McGehee said he’s going to think about reporting to Sac-town but if he wants to play again, why wouldn’t he? He’s not going to get a minor league opportunity so close to his family in Santa Cruz and he cited them as his strongest consideration. Who knows, maybe he retires, he’s made 9+ million in his career not counting the dough he raked in while in Japan. That scratch goes a long way in Santa Cruz….

Plus, it’s not like he’s got Cal Ripkin in front of him. If Duffy struggles and McGehee gets his knee straight and his swing straighter in the minors we just might have at least one more giggle in us this year.

I have low expectations for this game today. The team has got to be dragging hard from that long weekend and the altitude effects cannot be understated……

_____________________

regarding the impending doom of the Flap. Assuming I still don’t have this straightened out by the time the domain curtain falls on us, I recommend you guys go hit up Bagg’s blog at the Merc. It has way less trolls than the Splash, I think. If we do get shut down, I’ll sort it out but maybe Flappers bide their time with Baggs till I’m back up. May 29th is the deadline……..

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 25, 2015 at 8:44 am

Great thread, flav. If this place goes down in flames I’ll be pretty bummed. I just hope we’re not pouring one out for the homies come June 1st. Save us, Big Flavor. You’re our only hope.

As far as baseball in Colorado goes, this past weekend was total bullshit. This isn’t the era of trains between cities. There’s no reason those games couldn’t be made up another way. I take no joy from McGehee getting dumped. It’s got to be tough seeing your career slip away. I really like Duffy but like you said it is just as likely he is struggling soon so more giggles. Lulz

2. willedav said, on May 25, 2015 at 8:57 am

I’d be surprised no one picks up MacG unless he really is damaged goods; they only have to pay him league minimum since SF is on hook for his salary. Pads could probably use him, for one.
    Arias, like him or not, is now only back up on IF to give anyone a day off, so I doubt he’s going anywhere.
    Unless you’d rather see O-O-O…

Heard something funny on NHL playoffs video highlight. In Tampa-Rangers game they show two nice passes that lead up to shot of Tampa first goal, and the guy doing commentary alongside Doc Emrick says Fillpula (from Finland) makes a great shot and beats his countryman Lundquist (a Swede). Wow, those two countries are bitterest of rivals, esp in hockey, akin to Giants Dodgers.

Hope things get sorted Flav!

3. James said, on May 25, 2015 at 10:34 am

BF, you may want to back up the site. I looked at the admin panel and didn’t see a packaged option for doing this. Presumably there are plugins, but also did not see how to do an install via the UI. I assume those of us with editing rights have limited admin authorizations.

Note that the domain you registered and paid for is a custom address. If that name goes into limbo or up for auction because of the payment snafu, the original wordpress.com URL should still work to access the site. All you are paying for is the vanity URL.

4. James said, on May 25, 2015 at 10:45 am

Just think, ODB or Barry4Ever may be able to buy oneflapdown77.com and change the legacy of this immortal blog . . . 4ever. Xoot and Snarrk can get the lawsuits rolling . . . .

5. Carstie Clausen said, on May 25, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Was hoping Timmy could hold em one more inning, going into that fifth, but no such luck. With the bats silenced by the weather and such at the Box of Rox it would have been ideal to escape back to the Bay and have a day off. No such luck. No team should hafta suffer through another road series after a trip to the Front Range.

6. Carstie Clausen said, on May 25, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Giants singular approach turns the game around. One walk, sandwiched into no fewer than six singles bring in five runs. Surprised the Milwaukee manager left Lohse in as long as he did. Already at 90+ pitches, the Brewski’s starter was running on fumes. That might be attributed to the tendency all those singles hitters have to wear down a pitcher over the early innings.

7. wilcojoe said, on May 25, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Ishi designated for assignment. It was the right move. Wouldnt be surprised if he officially retires in order to throw out the first pitch on his bobblehead day.

• sandog said, on May 25, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Does he have to retire to do that—or does it just make the whole thing less awkward? I don’t want to see the guy hang ’em up. I hope he throws the first pitch regardless—he’s earned that and the fans would go nuts.

• wilcojoe said, on May 25, 2015 at 1:44 pm

I wouldn’t think he would have to retire to do it, but it would seem odd. I just think that would be a great way to go out. I don’t see him making it to the big leagues with any other clubs any time soon. Just my personal opinion and I hope I am wrong.

8. giants54 said, on May 25, 2015 at 1:24 pm

So much for the fatigue factor.

Pence saves Pagan, who I think has to be dropped to 6th. He sucks as a RBI/power guy.

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 25, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Took em a while to catch their breath while wearing Lohse down. I’m sure that Bochy, Rags and Gardy breathed a collective sigh of relief after Affeldt’s clean inning. Hoping that’s a harbinger.

9. pawliekokonuts said, on May 25, 2015 at 2:08 pm

I for one would feel kinda lost if Flapless, but alas all things change.

10. pawliekokonuts said, on May 25, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Dear ESPN, um, your hottest team in baseball, the Royals? Jeremy Guthrie (hey, I remember him, Game 7 WS starter) gave up ELEVEN RUNS with four homers in four outs.

11. Carstie Clausen said, on May 25, 2015 at 2:16 pm

With 1.3 innings of clean work, it would appear likely that Hunter Strickland has arrived. Very encouraging that that full inning happened to be the 8th. Decent job by Affeldt along with the rookie’s work gives us the chance to develop a very strong bunch of bullies.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 25, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Yeah, nice to see Affeldt settle down; you knew they’d give him the chance to do that.

12. pawliekokonuts said, on May 25, 2015 at 2:20 pm

ATTENTION MAGNUS, BLADE, AND FANDUEL AND DRAFTKING FOLKS: It turns out that Rotisserie baseball, the forerunner for your fantasy leagues, did NOT start in 1980 with Daniel Okrent in 1980. Ivan R. Dee, of Chicago, says in a letter to The New Yorker (May 25) that the Chicago Baseball League, essentially the same sort of fantasy league based on stats, was founded in 1978 and Dee was the commissioner; he adds that he and Okrent had lunch a few years ago and Okrent acknowledged that Chicago’s league started earlier. So there. Setting the record straight.

13. Macdog said, on May 25, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Ballgame! Nice bounce-back off the 2-game Rockie Mtn. slide.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 25, 2015 at 2:30 pm

you da man for heds!

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 25, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Two impressions: This team may turn out to be irrepressible. Can’t keep em down for long. One advantage to the single’s hitting (with occasional blasts) conga-line with the occasional stolen base along with some walks; is that they do not depend on the long-ball, which does appear to be Milwaukee’s primary suit. As noted earlier on this thread and many times over the weeks, this team has a knack for wearing down opposing starters.

Second impression is one of surprise and delight that Bochy really stretched out Strickland for those 2.3 innings to finish off the Brewskis in fine fashion. Recalling that he was being conditioned for pitching more than a single inning while at Sac-Town. One helluva move in my estimation. If he can keep it up Strickland could develop into one helluva weapon~ a mirror-opposite late-inning threat. Continued excellence on his part could mean that the 13 man staff can be returned to twoelve ~ thus strengthening the bench.

14. sandog said, on May 25, 2015 at 2:30 pm

I tip my cap to Strickland, who has made it back to the bigs and looks good so far. I thought the stench of failure from last post-season would be too much for him to overcome and he would never be heard from again–at least not in Orange and Black. Good for him.

15. giants54 said, on May 25, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Excellent come from behind win. Very nice effort from Strickland, who appears to be heir to machi and or Kontos. Love the play of the youngsters Susac Duffy and Panik. Giants look set in the infield and the bullpen for awhile.

16. xoot said, on May 25, 2015 at 2:36 pm

When the Giants picked Strickland off waivers he was in the miLs with a 1.5 WHIP. Somehow the Giants system got that down to .7 or .8 in a year. Last PS, he showed that he still had some work to do. Looks like he did that work. Good FB spotting (and velo at 95-97) and an effective slider. Who knows how long it’ll last, but it’s impressive. How the efff did the Giants coaching staff engineer this turn around? There’s a story there.

• xoot said, on May 25, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Actually, when the Giants claimed Strickland he’d been in the miLs for 7 years. One more facet to consider.

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 25, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Seven Years? Maybe i should have put “Boy” Wonder with those quotes around the first word.

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 25, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Storyline hed: “Giants Latest Boy-Wonder.

• xoot said, on May 25, 2015 at 5:42 pm

I don’t know, Stix. Somehow the Panik and Duffy (and, I suppose, Heston) stories, stirring and entertaining and gratifying to Giants’ fans as they are, seem different than Stickland’s tale. And lawd knows these days every team needs a reliever or two who can top 97 mph. He’ll get his shot, that’s for sure.

17. Lurker John said, on May 25, 2015 at 3:27 pm

What a welcome surprise this bounty of offense has been and it looks legit to me. Some good hitters having good years at the same time. Maybe this is the year the O picks up the pitching! Love seeing Strickland finding his sea legs and Affeldt bouncing back with a solid effort.

GO GIANTS!

18. Flavor said, on May 25, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Strickland is a stud. I’ve always believed in him. Hopefully he can stay consistent.
    I am now sending rude and condescending emails to the wordpress customer support in the hopes that they will notice me and respond. Stay tuned.

19. xoot said, on May 25, 2015 at 6:41 pm

45 points in the first quarter? Isn’t that on pace for 180 points for the game? And the Dubs have have scored a couple dozen on their side, too. wtf is going on in Houston? My basketball history isn’t real deep, but this somewhat reminds me of the Sleepy Floyd game against the Lakers back in the 80s, when the Lakers gave up just that one game. But the Warriors did have that one win.

20. djloo27 said, on May 25, 2015 at 7:24 pm

I think G54 is right about moving Angel baby out of the 3 hole…

21. Flavor said, on May 25, 2015 at 7:34 pm

this Curry head thing could be a problem….

22. willedav said, on May 25, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Dodgers hit 3 HRs in the 8th off Braves Nick Masset, Ethier solo Alex Guerrero 2 run PH followed by Rollins solo.
    Braves have hit 26 HRs this year and given up 40 some odd.

23. Lurker John said, on May 25, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Barnes all but shut down Harden the other night and now he’s on the bench. Thompson cannot handle him. WTF Kerr?!

24. Paul Sorensen said, on May 25, 2015 at 8:00 pm

+ Bummer about DFAing Ishi, wish there was a place for him… + Excellent choice to do the same to McNotForGiggles… + Coors Field… it’s like playing golf on a lovely course, hole after stunningly beautiful hole, and then you come to a green that has windmills and little bridges over rivulets that you must putt across…. sheesh… + BB King’s death, foul play they say? hope not…. + Long live the Flap!

25. Flavor said, on May 25, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Edd is in contact with me. I have shared with him my anger about the black screen. I have emailed him the screen shot of the payment they claim to have not received. Since I want to murder everyone at wordpress, I have decided that it would be prudent to let Edd sort out the nuances of this problem. If he fixes this, he is the new blog hero……

26. Flavor said, on May 25, 2015 at 8:08 pm

And by the way Edd, after you sort out the domain fee you can tell them to go suck my cock to get the *custom design fee* that I still owe them. They should comp that to me for all the stupid shit they put me through over a simple fucking internet payment. WORST customer service on the net. Fuck wordpress.
    First world problem? Sure. But that’s why I live in the first world. It allows me to get bent about shit like this.

• Flavor said, on May 25, 2015 at 8:19 pm

and Edd, since sarcasm is lost in writing, please note that I don’t really want you to tell them to suck my cock as payment for the custom design fee. I will pay it, as soon as they admit that they are lying cocksucking fucking thieves who run a business that basically resembles a pirate ship in the Red Sea circa 1645

• Lurker John said, on May 25, 2015 at 8:59 pm

LOL.

27. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 25, 2015 at 8:15 pm

• willedav said, on May 25, 2015 at 9:00 pm

I’m in.
      Like Scoop Nisker used to say on KSAN, “if you don’t like the news then go out and make some of your own.”

28. Lurker John said, on May 25, 2015 at 9:00 pm

I don’t suppose there’s anything us regular Flappers can do to help is there Flav?

29. willedav said, on May 25, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Funny thing is despite the above posts (and heading of previous thread), I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Flav couple times and he is the mellowest most affable guy.
    For him to get this bent someone is royally trying to screw him over.

30. willedav said, on May 25, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Pujols with walk off base hit off Kimbrel to pin L on Pads.

31. zumiee said, on May 25, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Here’s an awesome moment in baseball history. Guerrero’s terrific attempt to fool the umpires. You can’t even tell he trapped the ball.

32. zumiee said, on May 25, 2015 at 10:02 pm

What’s Rowand up to lately? He’s leading his team to victory! Really. Seriously.