Monopoly Was a Rad Game

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 4, 2015

Ah, Connecticut Avenue….seems like such a nice road on which to take a Sunday stroll. Tired from the day’s journey, you decide to check into a quaint B and B for the night. As dawn hits, you and your new bride wake up and prepare for the trip to Virginia Avenue, maybe even old St. James Place (where his wife is busily covering the furniture in plastic). But the inn keeper charges you triple what you thought it would cost. You can’t pay the bill! He informs you that there’s a jail for your kind right next door. Suddenly, that warm, Summer afternoon stroll turned into you getting your ass SandraBlanded and now you don’t know what the fuck is going on…..

That’s what last night felt like.

I’m not as down on the bullpen as everyone else is. I thought Voggy’s stuff was pretty good. Unfortunately they were pitching in a yard that was playing to the size of a large matchbox. I can’t remember a Giants game where there were more oppo-bombs. The one thing I’ll say about the bullpen is this: seems like every other team has gone to using gas-throwers and we keep trotting out the same core of old men who have gotten it done for the last half decade or so. But aside from Hunter Strickland, our bullpen is not mirroring what others are doing. This might be a case where we should be doing what others are doing. Easy to say, not so easy to put together quickly…..

Forget the “Dog Dayz of Auguzt”. These last 3 stress games have gotta be taking a big, big toll on the team. Just as I was more than ready for a no-doubt bomb on which to celebrate immediately off the crack of the bat, I could really use a nice and easy 5-2 victory today……

Kudos to you Diggity for inspiring the thread as well as motivating me to find our old monopoly game from the studio. Gonna fire that bad boy up as soon as Katie gets back home…..

What was your favorite block to own in Monopoly? I loved that yellow-ass Marvin Gardens row. Felt like King of the World when I owned that shit.

1. chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 9:06 am

Games like those remind me of days gone by while playing little league ball. I was warming up a kid Robin (our hardest throwing pitcher), was not wearing a cup, and took one in the family jewels. If you have ever taken a shot to the quevos…you know the feeling. Yep…losing a game like that is like getting hit in the nuts.

Oh well, time to move on. Miller has been dealing for the chop, so the boys will have to bring their A game. Wash that shit off, T it up, and kick some bravo ass!

2. chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 9:21 am

Good thread, Flav. And I am with you re: the bullpen. The ball was flying all over the fucking place regardless of who was pitching (for either team). Chop with 17 hits and four bombs…our boys with 14 hits and four bombs. So, I really do not see it as a meltdown of the pen…more the ballpark, etc., and you have games like this occasionally.

I know Bochy will never do it, but I agree with Stix and feel Osich needs to replace Affeldt pronto. I didn’t like the move when they sent Osich down and felt he should have stayed.

Here are the current stats for our boys. Outside of a couple of guys (like Affeldt) their numbers really are not that bad. Our starters need to get their shit together and go deeper in the damned games, to lighten the load on the pen.

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 4, 2015 at 9:55 am

Giants organization can be accused rightfully of a good/bad habit: Loyalty to a fault. Affeldt appears to be overdone goose/ burnt toast. Pick your metaphor. Yet, as a lefty who has been good in the past the org sticks to him like velcro. But it was evident last night that Bochy does not trust him in high pressure situations like he went with Vogie rather than Jeremy in the 12th. Ideally, the front office will find some team jonesing for a lefthander who will swap a micro-prospect from lower A-ball to make everybody feel good about the departure. A couple years back or so, the Giants removed a 25 man to Cleveland or somebody for a septic pitcher name of Soptik who is still toiling in the lower rungs of the Giants ladder. So there is a precedent.

3. Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 9:24 am

Atlanta hitters came as I advertised them. Free swinging, no pressure, nothin’ to lose hackers. Kruk kept noticing it last night, incredulous that there could be some many first pitch swings. Made perfect sense to me.

4. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2015 at 9:48 am

Yeah, most of the HRs were outs here. The last one I thought Vogie dodged a bullet by inducing the fly ball on a 3-0 count. Pffffffffft. Pisser to no end. Castilla grooving an 0-2 fastball (to fucking Pierinski???) was the killer. As was the 3 run bomb off Cain after the 2 broken bat hits.

Can’t overlook Kelby Tomlinson’s entry to the bigs though. That was pretty fricking cool. If not a bitch at the end.

The greens (Pennsylvania) and the reds (Illinois) were my faves. My problem was if anyone put a hotel on Marvin Gardens, I would land on it relentlessly. Pissed me off to no end.

5. chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 9:50 am

Panik is supposed to get an MRI on his back today. Hopefully just some inflamation that the time on the 15 day will cure. In the meantime, I would love to see Tomlinson get a start soon. WTF…he can’t be any worse than Adrianza. Bullpen, schmoolpen…we need an upgrade to our fucking bench…

Hoping Savevans does a waiver-wire trade or two. I think Martin Prado would be a great fit for our club so that Ehire can take his ass back to Sacto.

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 4, 2015 at 9:59 am

We could use both an outfielder bench man and a reliable bullpen pickup via the waiver wire transaction system. The ideal candidates may have contracts a bit costly to justify being picked up by teams with narrower financial options.

• xoot said, on August 4, 2015 at 10:14 am

What sort of back problem does a kid like Panik develop? Chances are it’s a strain of some sort that’ll heal quickly, given his age. I sure hope so. Tomlinson looked good at the plate last night, no doubt back up the middle LD off a very strong mlb fastball. Resembled many of Duffy’s early hits. But can Kelby play 2B as well as the inexplicable featherweight survivor? If so, there’s no reason not to test the waiver wire with Ehire. Fill his roster spot with someone new.

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 10:24 am

I shared info on Tomlinson last thread. He has played 16 games at 2nd, 15 at SS, and four at 3rd. I believe I read somewhere that he said he prefers 2nd. Get him in there and let’s see what the kid has.

• xoot said, on August 4, 2015 at 10:30 am

yeah I looked at his defensive stats for Richmond and SJ–not stunning, but not at all conclusive. Panik had some shaky times last summer as he adjusted to the mlb pace–nearly colliding with Pence on pop ups, etc. But he learned quickly. I’d like to see Tomlinson get the same shot at it.

• xoot said, on August 4, 2015 at 10:31 am

“Richmond and Sac”– I meant. The SJ numbers were old.

6. wilcojoe said, on August 4, 2015 at 10:19 am

If George Springer returns to the Astros by the end of the month, they will have to let someone go. Colby Rasmus or Marwin Gonzalez will likely be the one to go. My money is on Rasmus and he should likely pass thru waivers. He would be a great fit for CF. He plays decent defense and has pop, especially against RH. He’s a fourth outfielder in Houston but would start in SF. The problem is I am not so certain Springer returns before the end of August.

7. chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 10:19 am

Stix – agree on our Affeld syopsis at 9:55. I love Bochy and would want no one else as a manager (going to be a sad fucking day when he is gone), but another fault (IMO) is staying too long with a pitcher. Cain, last night, is a prime example. I think he should have pulled him at least a batter earlier. It has become pretty apparent over their first few starts that Cain and Peavy just do not have the gas to go deep in a contest. I know that is what we need (to minimize the stress on the BP), but I would choose to remove them earlier before the damage is done, and hand it to the pen.

I think our bullpen will be okay…especially once rosters expand. My two areas that need upgrade are bench help in the OF and IF. Adrianza needs to go back to Sacto, and we need another OFer (this is why I was so hot on Parra before he was dealt…even tho a lot here thought he was Blanco II). With Pagan’s shaky-ass knees, a guy like that would be money right now. And I still think someone like Prado would be a good fit.

I liked the Orange, Red, and Yellow spots in Monopoly, and I always tried to get multiple RRs.

We had some bad ass Monopoly games back in the day…fun game. Will have to bust it out and play again soon.

8. Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 10:30 am

I’ve been having trouble wrapping my brain around how San Dawg could have taken down last night’s Monopoly pot with Connecticut Ave as his *golden goose* but I trust him implicitly so I texted him. He texted me back saying “it was bizarre, I’ll have to call you and explain it over the ph”. Looking forward to the call, Dawg. And this slow, lazy Summer just keeps on rollin’ for me……

9. sandog said, on August 4, 2015 at 10:47 am

My favorite properties are the burnt orange St. James group. They seem to attract a lot of guests–especially those fresh out of jail!
    When I play with the kids, I try to be the guy who forces the action and initiates a lot of trade talk. In this role, I have 2 main goals: make sure everyone has fun and has some skin in the game and, much more importantly, make sure the game doesn’t go on forever. The area we live in San Diego is called Spring Valley and we have a certain set of Spring Valley Rules we use to simplify and speed up the game. (We actually have them typed up and glued to the lid of the box) Flav, I suggest you use these or use them as a guide to come up with an LA Hils version you use with Katie and company:

-We threw away our one and five dollar bills years ago and every payment is rounded up to the nearest $10.

-As the true rules state, we don’t put any payments in the middle of the board to serve as a jackpot for landing on Free Parking and if someone lands on a property and doesn’t buy it, it goes up for open auction.

-Income Tax and Luxury Tax are always a flat fee of $100.

Last night was amazing. A friend of my daughter’s was at my house for the first time, so I was on my best behavior playing the role of Eddie Joe Chavez (side note: my brother has drinks every now and again with the mother of the Chavez brothers) and getting everyone involved in the offense. It got to a point where everyone had a monopoly but me, and then I swung a minor deal to get the light blues. The one thing I had going for me was a tall stack of cash, so in one transaction I went straight to hotels. I would compare the trade to Sabevans picking up Scutaro for Charlie Clubertson and last night’s game was the playoff series against the Cardinals. I don’t think Connecticut got 14 hits like Scuts did in that series, but it may have had eight or nine.

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 11:05 am

LMAO…great story on the monopoly game last night San. Love the Scoots analogy…

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 11:23 am

getting rid of the 1’s and 5’s…..brilliant. I have so much to learn from you, Sensei

10. sandog said, on August 4, 2015 at 11:04 am

I’ve posted many times how I think Bochy has many strengths as a manager, but that handling a bullpen IMO is his #1 asset. And one aspect of that where I think he is a real master is his ability to rehab guys who seemed to have lost the ability to get guys out. He will demote them and put them at the back of the ‘pen, but he won’t forget about them altogether and has a gift for picking his spots to get their confidence back up, while I’m sure Rags and Gardner are working with them daily on their mechanics etc.
    It sounds like this current bullpen is going to put that theory to the test, but I think his track record shows he is up for the challenge.

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 11:06 am

I am with Craig and not that alarmed about the bullpen. I agree…Bochy has many strengths, but managing the pen is right up there, and had never thought about your point, but I do agree. Good observation…

11. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2015 at 11:40 am

That’s all well and good, but Casilla is getting to the point of Wilsonesque weirdness. The errors didn’t help either, but criminy, that was just flat awful. How often have we lost scoring 8 runs?

12. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2015 at 11:40 am

It’s all mix and match at this point. But that’s the point i guess.

13. willedav said, on August 4, 2015 at 11:45 am

SD, is that the guy who played for U of Santa Clara? Pretty sure I saw him there late ’70s, tho I wasn’t around long, just a couple quarters worth of Grad Hist classes I couldn’t afford. Prop 13 hit and there went my dreams of getting a job teaching local HS or college.

• sandog said, on August 4, 2015 at 12:01 pm

That is the guy. I wasn’t sure how many out there would know that name, but I had a feeling you would. I think there were 3 Chavez brothers who played at Drake High in San Anselmo and were solid bay area college players. My brother is the expert on this, but I think Eddie Joe and Bucky played at SC and Michael at Cal.

14. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2015 at 11:57 am

Marvin Gardens always tried to own in Monopoly.
    Maybe cause their’s an old time sport bar in Belmont called Marvin Gardens, famous for a “Starvin Marvin Burger” and of course a pint of beer!!

• unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Hah! Spent many a night there, AK . . . St James Gate down the street as well . . .

• unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2015 at 12:53 pm

I bailed from work to watch the 1989 NLCS clinching game for the Giants at Marvin Gardens. . .

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 2:51 pm

got drunk off my ass at Marvin Gardens more than once back in the early 2000’s– used to live in Redwood Shores

15. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2015 at 12:05 pm

They need to start Kelby today, I mean Look at the headlines : Kelby rips Shelby( Miller)a new one ,with multiple base hits!!

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 2:19 pm

may it be so, may it be so

16. chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Charlie – in reference to your 11:40…I agree on Casilla. You can go back a month or so on the threads and see where I was saying I had lost confidence in Casilla and that I wanted to see Strickland and Romo get some chances to close out some games. Question becomes is Casilla as ineffective in a set-up role as he has been at times closing? I dunno…but I say let’s see. I believe the HR that Strickland gave up last night was the first he has given up all year…maybe the 2nd…but he has not been one to give up the big fly.

17. chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Strickland – 29 games, 29 IP. 1.86 / 0.966. One HR. HR/9 – 0.3

Casilla – 45 games, 38 IP. 3.32 / 1.474. 5 HRs. HR/9 – 1.2

I say give Strickland some save opportunities. If he excels…tough shit for Casilla. I know this is not the Giants MO, but fuck it…we are in the crucial point of the season…time to giddy the fuck up.

18. unca_chuck said, on August 4, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Yeah, Casilla is just looking off. As are Romo and Affeld, and just about everyone else not named Kontos. When Casilla got the blister in ’12, he was immediately tossed in favor of Romo. Boch didn’t go back to Casilla till ’13. (iirc). I don’t see Bochy putting up with too many more blown saves before trying something different (re Strickland). Closer is the one spot where your teammates can’t really pick up you. Blow the save, lose the game.

What pisses me off is this is the second time we’ve crept right up to the dogs only to fall back again.

19. willedav said, on August 4, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Casilla has multiple pitches at his command when he’s on—Strick? Idk, but if all he throws is fastballs, ml hitters are gonna yank those. Not much this year, but he still gets hit. Osich I can see coming back, definitely. Nothing wrong with throwing Strick in there, but if he tries to brazen everything out with his fastball it ain’t gonna work. He did look good the game they won.
    I read where Posey set his glove down and in on the one AJ yanked, and that is where Casilla threw it…curious, because that’s gravy for most LH.

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 2:25 pm

From my understanding, Strickland has developed a number of other pitches. He is not a one-trick pony anymore. And who gives a fuck…if the results are a low 1.xx ERA and a sub 1.0 WHIP…giddy the fuck up and throw those fastballs!

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 2:27 pm

22 hits and 6 BB in 29 IP. “But he still gets hit.” That’s ludicrous…the stats don’t lie. The guy is the most lights-out pitcher on the staff…only one close is Kontos…

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 2:36 pm

According to FanGraphs, Strickland throws a fastball (four and two seam), slider, curve, and a change. So, he has everything in his bag of tricks that Casilla has and velocity to boot.

20. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Sandawg,
    I grew up on Myano Lane, right by Connecticut Avenue. In a Stamford, CT public housing project, a postwar (WWII) thing. It really wasn’t bad. I drove by a few years ago, things still looked pretty good. Then, when I went down there to liberate Mom from where she has lived since Nineteen SIXTEEN, I read there’s been some bad shit happening on Connecticut Avenue; talk about Section 8! Drug deals gone awry, violence. Last week I happened to talk to someone in the town clerk’s office. She said Connecticut Avenue was bad, then pretty good, now bad again. But it sho’nuf was good for you last night! For the record, in “the projects” we’d play at Billy and Tommy and Tinky Saunders’s house. Marathon sessions. The tokens were metal! I liked the iron.

21. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 2:20 pm

A win today in any way, shape, or form is what we need. And yes we can do it.

22. Macdog said, on August 4, 2015 at 2:22 pm

This Date in Baseball:

1985 — Tom Seaver, 40, became the 17th 300-game winner in major league history with a six-hitter — all singles — as the Chicago White Sox defeated the New York Yankees 4-1 on Phil Rizzuto Day.

1985 — Rod Carew of the California Angels got his 3,000th hit in a 6-5 win over the Minnesota Twins, his first major league team.

2014 — DJLoo and Macdog meet up at Citi Field to watch the San Francisco Giants defeat the New York Mets, 4-3.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 2:34 pm

I love how you slipped that in there. There is NO FECKING WAY that was a year ago!

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 2:40 pm

also the anniv of the 1993 Nolan Ryan-Robin Ventura dustup.

23. chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 2:29 pm

I guess Boch didn’t get the memo about Tomlinson…

1. Nori Aoki (L) LF
    2. Gregor Blanco (L) CF
    3. Matt Duffy (R) 3B
    4. Buster Posey (R) C
    5. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    6. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    7. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    8. Ehire Adrianza (S) 2B
    9. RHP — Jake Peavy (2-4, 4.12 ERA)

24. Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 2:49 pm

funny Kruk/Kuip moment. Chris Johnson blasts one off Strick and K/K are literally blowing huge wads of cum on the guy talking about his prodigious power. Then Kruk is like, “Uh, how’s he only got 2?”
    lol, when you throw a 98 mph fastball right down broadway it doesn’t take much more than solid contact to get it out of the park, dawg…..

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 3:10 pm

And especially the way that yard was playing last night…Strickland’s first dinger of the year…

25. zumiee said, on August 4, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Strickland made a hugely terrible pitch last night, an 0-2 fastball down the middle, and it helped lose the game last night; but my bigger beef is with Casilla, because he rarely has clean innings anymore. He always seems to end up with a baserunner or two, having to walk a tightrope. It seems like Father Time finally caught up with him. He doesn’t seem like a major league closer anymore, and it’s really hurting the Giants.

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 4:02 pm

I like Casilla, always have. Probably because we got him for free from the A’s and I like it when the A’s look bad. But we’re not talking about Rob Nen here or some other established closer. It’s fucking Santiago Casilla. Cut bait quickly ( to some other less critical part of the BP) if this is who he is now.

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 5:14 pm

It was the ONLY HR he has surrendered this year. His stats speak for themself.

26. Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 4:00 pm

more on Tomlinson’s wife and her dad (not his) from last night. Such an awesome story.

27. Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 4:12 pm

how much are the tickets in Atlanta? 30k a pop? So much for supporting the team……

28. Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Krukow is a dolt. The ball carries further in high humidity, not shorter. Air that has higher humidity is less dense than air with low humidity allowing a ball to travel further. Less dense air molecules = easier for ball to travel through…..
    He’s confusing high humidity with the machine in Colorado that humidifies the balls. Those balls travel shorter distances for obvious reasons.
    Jeeeeeeezus…..

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2015 at 4:56 pm

And he’s probably also confused because of how the marine layer in Dodger Stadium affects the distance of balls hit. The marine layer is denser than normal air.

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 5:00 pm

it was truly one of the most idiotic things I’ve ever heard an announcer say. How can he be in baseball for nearly a half century of his life and not understand this?

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Maybe it shouldn’t irk me, but it still irks me when he credits Doubleday with inventing baseball. That false story was debunked DECADES ago. As a member of the baseball media, he should know that, IMO. It spreads false information to the viewer.

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 5:49 pm

he’s probably not working with a lot of accurate information. He’s gotta be walking the earth pretty cluelessly…..

29. Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Krukow just declared Terry Pendleton to be a “GREAT guy.” One time I’d like to hear Kruk be down on someone. Anyone. About anything.
    THe camera pans to Pendleton and Kruk goes, “Fuck that guy. Couldn’t stand him. Total piece of shit lying weasel.”
    ONE TIME.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Yeah. I hear ya. Who does he pick on? Last year, a bunch of groundskeepers at Wrigley Field. Sure, they did a lousy job putting on the tarp, but Krukow accused them of intentionally trying to win the game for the Cubs. Like a bunch of guys are going to risk getting fired by the league to cheat for a Cubs team that was going nowhere in the standings.
      Krukow literally had no idea how actual regular people think. He’s pretty much been a pro ballplayer and broadcaster his whole adult life.

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 5:10 pm

dumbass Ray Ratto sold that theory too. Made no sense then or now.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2015 at 5:15 pm

In Krukow’s mind, of course a bunch of groundskeepers would cheat to help their team win. What’s more important than winning the baseball game?? The groundskeepers keeping their jobs and feeding their families? Nah, that’s not more important.

30. zumiee said, on August 4, 2015 at 5:00 pm

We basically knew these games in Atlanta would be a struggle. They always are. The Braves could have called up an entire team of AAA guys, and somehow it would still be a struggle for the Giants in Atlanta.

31. Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 5:12 pm

that almost-catch by Pence is still one of my favorite catches of the year. Catch or not. He was still trying to catch the ball even as his body was taking him the other way and he was on his back. Total fucking gamer.

32. chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Arias clears waivers and accepts assignment to Sactown. Pawlie will be happy. J. Arias…come on down…

• alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2015 at 5:50 pm

No surprise, don’t all of DFA guys clear waivers? Ishi, McDP,Arias,hell,didn’t OOO go down after they DFA him and he cleared as well?

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Ishi was claimed this last time by the Bucs, and Machi was claimed, too.

33. zumiee said, on August 4, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Abner Doubleday lived in New York state, liked to play baseball, and was a Civil War soldier.
    The Baseball Hall of Fame wanted a tidy story for the birth of baseball and picked Doubleday to be the guy. They’ve since confessed they made up the story.
    Krukow hasn’t gotten the memo yet.

34. Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 5:27 pm

2nd time in 2 days Perez has thought he’s caught a ball and when he looked in the glove, no one was home.

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 5:28 pm

I know…that was some funny shit…

Oops…

35. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2015 at 5:56 pm

WTF was Perez whining about?
    That was a perfect strike 3 at the knees outside corner!
    Grab some pine meat!

36. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Nice work by Peavy, now take a seat and pray the BP doesn’t implode..

37. zumiee said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Our crap-taculer bullpen!

38. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:27 pm

What the hell is going on with this BP?Kontos has the hitter chasing garbage, 0-2,then bites off to much of the plate and he hacks the single to tie it up. Dumb pitching..

39. zumiee said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Adrianza should have thrown to second.

40. Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Pence over fence

41. Macdog said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Big-game Hunter!

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:53 pm

the hed man!!!!!!

42. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Nice Rally!
    That was a laser 1 iron for Pence!!

43. Carstie Clausen said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:45 pm

With the Giants mired in a painful one and three roadtrip Hunter may have bagged him some big game with that blast. Damn, macdog ~ you beat me to it.

44. Macdog said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:46 pm

And a Franco Slam in Philly!

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:54 pm

pretty damn good rookie….tho’ he’s no Duffy or Heston….Arias will be back!!!

45. zumiee said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Dodgers have a few bullpen issues of their own.

46. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Jeremy going yard with his bat!
    The whole dugouts busting up😀😀😀

47. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:51 pm

I turned on the game as Duffy tied it. Then BOOOOOOM. Pence.

48. zumiee said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:51 pm

OOO with 2 hits. He just may make it to .150. 🙂

49. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:52 pm

I’m having trouble with the meteorology lesson. We just had some hot days with high humidity. The feels heavy as fuck. My body is lying to me?

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:56 pm

try turning yourself into a baseball and hurtling yourself through the air. You’ll fly further than if its lower humidity.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:56 pm

excuse me: the air was as heavy as an obese opera singer

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Sort of. Humid air is less dense but feels thicker on our bodies because of condensation.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:59 pm

It’s the reason that clouds float, basically.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:01 pm

stop insulting my ignorance…..just kidding…I can tell you’re a good teacher….perfect seven-word lesson for my simple mind

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:02 pm

It’s one of those scientific facts that is very counter-intuitive.

• xoot said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:18 pm

that was a cool explanation (clouds floating). Beats the hell out of H2O is lighter than O2 etc.

50. Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Was secretly hoping Bochy was going out there to remove Adrianza…..

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:56 pm

yeah, like Billy Martin removing Reggie Jax

• alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:02 pm

That’s what Jeremy was saying too to Bochy, the kid’s killing me..

51. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Someone enlightened me again on why is 000 on the team?
    Oh was it for his glove? Not
    His bat? Not

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 6:59 pm

his looks

52. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:00 pm

000 summons memories of Eugenio in terms of baseball savvy

53. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Romo getting Bruce in the 2012 postseason was epic, it really was. That was some run to the WS. Backs to the wall.

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Yep. Cincy had not lost three in a row at home, all year. And guess fucking what…our boys ended that little run. That was magic…

54. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:05 pm

Anybody have an update on “Count Chocula”?

55. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:06 pm

What a strange game.

56. Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:07 pm

finally getting my easy, peasy win I was hoping for……

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:10 pm

um…..not yet……we know that from hard, and recent, experience

57. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:07 pm

Happy for my boy Gregor. Having a very fine year.

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:09 pm

he’s been fantastic. Best year of his career. Hope he doesn’t start playing everyday, that will be his downfall…..

58. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:09 pm

From a crazy AB, to a Sayanora !!
    Aoki power!
    Where legends like Kuiper were born..

59. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Duffy’s gotta be one of the best go the other way hitters in the NL.

60. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:14 pm

I’ll be honest: who thought Duffster would be this much better than Sandoval — hitting in Fenway? haHhahaahahahahahahaahahahaaaahahahahhehehe

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Well, I knew he won the batting title in the Eastern League, but I sure as hell did not expect this. What a monumental surprise.

61. Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Andrew Baggarly ‏@extrabaggs 4m4 minutes ago
    Fourth hit for Duffy. Average up to .309. He’s got 105 hits. That is just three fewer than Todd Frazier. And Duffy didn’t start for 5 weeks.

62. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Kruk STFU!!
    What kind of a player is McDP , he’s a ball player
    What kind of player is 000, he’s a ball player too!
    Giants have nothing but the best ball players, Rowand a ball player,Todd Wellenmeyer, ball player,Ryan Garko, ball player!!!

63. Bozo said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Ride with that five, Giants.

64. Carstie Clausen said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:23 pm

More soaring upwards in the NL RBI race than creeping anymore, Buster with tonight’s rib-eyes now has accumulated 75 on the season, only 2 behind second placer Goldilox of Aridzona and 5 back of the Arenado twisting through the Box of Rox. Near guarantee: If Posey cops the RBI crown he gets his 2nd MVP.

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:28 pm

If the Giants make the playoffs.

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 4, 2015 at 9:16 pm

That’s only a partial “if” as Buster has been there before and some player on a team which did hit the post-season had roughly an equal season.

65. Macdog said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Hopefully the ‘pen can hold onto this lead.

66. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Eury Perez (in the hole) played on the Chiefs last year with Manny Burriss and Steven Souza Jr.

• alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Chiefs?Is that the same line that the Hanson Brothers played on?
      Oh wrong sport, that was the hockey movie “Slapshot”

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 8:07 pm

good connection because much of “Slapshot” was filmed in Syracuse

67. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:26 pm

K&K just this side of moronically biased and WASPish in their discussion of Polish and Greek names. Puhleez.

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 4, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Kuiper is likely a Dutch name while like many eastern German names ending in “ow” like Nienow and Turnow, Krukow probably has Slavic roots in one of the little nations like the Kashubians, Borussians, Wends, Sorbs and Old Prussians who were absorbed into German rather than Polish culture.

68. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Giants win! The Giantsssss Win!!!!

69. Carstie Clausen said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Amazing that Atlanta’s pinch-hitter ended up as a ballplayer instead of a cage-fighter or some such. Imagine what it may have been going through 5th grade with a backname of Terdoslavich.

• alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Bet he got called Turd a lot..

• zumiee said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Maybe he went all Aubrey Hill on anyone that did that.

70. pawliekokonuts said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Big bounceback win. Bochy’s boys show character. Now I’ll go say that on Twiiter.

71. Bozo said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Tonight, eight was enough

72. zumiee said, on August 4, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Sandoval hit an HR, and….his last-place team lost 13-3.

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 8:16 pm

If Boston were playing a Monopoly game, their get out of jail free card would be of no use to them now. Already cashed in. They are screwed.

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 9:54 pm

If Boston was playing Monopoly, using the San-Diggity rules, they wouldn’t even be playing, as they would be the 1 and 5 dollar bills…

73. Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Am I the only one wondering what Aubrey Hill is doing tonight?

74. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2015 at 8:24 pm

In training for his showdown with Buzzsaw?

• djloo27 said, on August 4, 2015 at 8:32 pm

You don’t train for a showdown with Buzzsaw.
      You avoid one…

75. willedav said, on August 4, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Chi, I’m not going to argue with you about Strick closing…until it actually happens, there’s nothing to go on, regardless what anyone thinks he might or might not be capable of.
    Until Bochy decides to put him in there in that situation, there’s zero evidence he can do it or not.
    Hey he might be in there next week, next month next year or never. None of us know.

“Stats don’t lie.” You’re right—and the most relevant stat is, Strick has 0 of the Giants 30 saves, in 0 attempts.

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 9:57 pm

All I am saying WillieD, is based on what he has shown…in results (including his stats), I think he should get just as many chances as Casilla or Romo, until he proves he can’t do it. And if wrong I will eat my words, but I say right now (and I have said it before) he will be the closer next year.

76. djloo27 said, on August 4, 2015 at 8:31 pm

How about the old bullpen by committee (BBC)?

• Flavor said, on August 4, 2015 at 8:31 pm

isn’t that how Casilla first got the job?

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 9:59 pm

I would be down with that. Casilla just is not doing it for me right now. Bring on the BBC…and yes, Flav, that is how Casilla got his first shot….

77. Lurker John said, on August 4, 2015 at 8:38 pm

I don’t know who was responsible for scouting Matt Duffy for the MLB draft, but the man deserves a nice bonus in his paycheck. The kid is smart, tough and more than anything else, TALENTED! Out of nowhere and he looks like the real deal to me and I’ve been watching baseball for a while now. And I mean challenge for batting title talented. What a terrific story it is for a team to scout, draft and develop a kid, not a highly touted kid, then have him make The Show and start producing like the Duffster is. Great hands, balance and approach. I sound like a bloody broken record!

Go Matt!

Much better result tonight! Peavy’s been looking good! Posey for MVP!

78. zumiee said, on August 4, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Plasec, on the MLB Tonight crew, made a reference to Doubleday inventing baseball.
    Sigh….

• Lurker John said, on August 4, 2015 at 8:55 pm

lulz

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 10:00 pm

lqtm…

79. alleykat69 said, on August 4, 2015 at 8:59 pm

I think the Duffster patients his approach of hitting by watching and probably talking to Buster alot.
    When Buster gets into a funk, which isn’t often, he gets out of quicker by using the whole field.He hit a lot to right field his 1st few years up, then powered the inside pitches to Left/Left center..
    Duffy’s following that same approach,taking the outside pitches down the RF line, and turning on the inside pitch, for a pitcher choose your poison on how you want to try and get him out..,

80. James said, on August 4, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Maybe if Mike Broadway was named Mike St. James, I’d have the slightest bit of confidence he’d be worth a crap some day.

It’ll never happen, but I’d put Romo back in the closer role. He’s still by far the coolest reliever the Giants have ever had. And there are a whole bunch of lefties ready to make outs against him after the ridiculously bad run he’s had against them.

• chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 10:05 pm

As Loo mentioned earlier, I am down with a closer by committee set-up. The other guy who I think could possibly close in the future is Osich. I also don’t think he should have ever went down…they should have cut Affledt loose (or Affeldt should have cut his damned finger again). But that is not the Giant’s MO, and would never happen.

• James said, on August 4, 2015 at 10:22 pm

I’ve suggested it a few times before, Chi, but look at Romo’s career numbers. He is easily one of the most underrated players in MLB. Hunter Strickland with his 98 mph gas isn’t getting close to those stats after 8 years. Sergio probably won’t keep his fastball at 88 for too much longer, but he’ still been better than the huge majority of bullpen guys we’ve seen in the NL the last 40 years.

• Macdog said, on August 4, 2015 at 11:00 pm

Right now I’d feel a helluva lot more confident having Romo in the 9th — vs. lefties, righties, whatever — than Casilla.

81. chipower9 said, on August 4, 2015 at 10:07 pm

I missed the game after the 4th…was out training with my dog. Looks like a nice comeback…Pence and Aoki going yard. Need to go out and take the series tomorrow. Cubs beat the Bucs today…I think that is six in a row, and we head there after hotlanta. Time to go in and crash their little run…

82. pawliekokonuts said, on August 5, 2015 at 8:04 am

I liked the green ones: Pacific, North Carolina, and a third I can’t recall. Also, Mediterranean and Baltic for the sheer annoyance factor. We would do things with Free Parking: put $500 there for anyone who landed there, or the accumulation of all fines, fees, etc, plus the $500. It was placed at Free Parking, on the corner, under the board, partially visible, the way formerly unmentionable underwear is now visible for all the world to see.

• willedav said, on August 5, 2015 at 8:17 am

PK, familiar with NY writer Emma Straub? I read collection of her short stories I liked, “Other people We Married” and some of characters show up in her newest novel “The Vacationers” about NY family (extended) that goes to Mallorca. Really good read, most enjoyable.

• unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2015 at 8:33 am

Any relation to Peter Straub?

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 5, 2015 at 7:00 pm

not familiar, but will write it down for future reference; sometimes I roll around to these suggestions years later; quirky on my part; you might like Antonya Nelson, whom I discovered “by accident”; or the late James Salter

83. willedav said, on August 5, 2015 at 8:13 am

I still think the position itself (closer) is overrated, tho not necessarily the guys who do it.
    Esp for Giants, set up guys coming in with RISP middle of an inning have tremendous value.
    Kontos has been really good at that, but starting an inning yesterday got lit up.
    Strick, according to Shea, has given up .304 AB with RISP, so yes “he can be hit.”.

Bochy, who as we all know doesn’t give anything away in public, said if SF hadn’t scored twice in 9th he would have left Romo (who did retire only LH he faced) in to start 9th backed up by Casilla and Strick.

I’m sure pen will look different next year and I’d love to see Osich back before Sept 1 so he could be eligible for playoffs, but who knows.

84. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2015 at 8:36 am

Well, someone’s got to do it. going BBC can bring problems, but I think Casilla gets a little more rope. If he blows 2 out of 3, he’s out . . .

85. unca_chuck said, on August 5, 2015 at 8:46 am

Affeldt’s off the books after this year, right? This whole pitching staff will look different. Peavy though seems to be making a pretty good comeback. Throw out his first 2 awful starts in April and he’s looking solid. If your 4 can go 6 and keep it close, hey, we’re OK.

Cain is the ? as Timmy (2) are both gone.

So we got Undertaker, Omega Man, Cainer, Peavy and Ty Blach? The pen is what gets the overhaul.