Stop Comparing this to 1993

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 15, 2016

Probably the worst part of KNBR , besides the commercial of the woman who starts off by saying “My number 2 doesn’t look like a number 2 is there a number 3?” is how dumb their callers are. Multiple fans have called up this week relating the 2016 collapse to the 1993 season. They’re calling it the same thing. This is just like ’93, they say.

Do these dipshits even listen to the words coming out of their mouth? And the hosts are only mildly denying them.

2016 and 1993 have literally nothing in common. For starters, the ’93 team was actually good. Their winning % in by month in July, August and Sept: .692, .577, .571. The Giants winning percentage in 2016 (by month): .458, .407, and (my personal favorite) .385. The Braves in ’93 winning % in those 3 months: .679, .731, .704. The Dodgers winning %: .625, .536, .667. This Dodger team would have gotten killed by that Braves team…….

What we are dealing with today is light years away from ’93. Our 2016 team sucks. And the Dodgers aren’t much better but they are definitely better. And this wild card race (something that wasn’t even around in ’93, the callers might want to recognize that) is completely misnamed. What is the opposite of a race? It needs to be called something that is monotonous, pathetic and without an actual celebration for whoever backs in as the ultimate representatives……

1. Cardinal70 said, on September 15, 2016 at 5:48 am

Hey, guys! So this should be fun, huh? And by fun I mean agonizingly painful each night for both sides. At least y’all have a history of “torture” to fall back on, right?

Anyway, if you have Cardinals questions, I’ll check in throughout the day to try to answer them. Best to you this weekend!

• gianthead said, on September 15, 2016 at 8:17 am

I think we would be happy with a split at this point with your Cards…after sweeping the Douchebacks, I think most of us here thought we could probably take 3 of 4 from the Cards after a sweep of the Padres…that didn’t quite work out…mfing Padres…

• Cardinal70 said, on September 15, 2016 at 8:20 am

If the Mets lose a lot this weekend (unlikely) a split might not kill the Cardinals’ chances but they really need to take 3 of 4 to realistically stay in it. I will say that your bullpen woes combined with our late scoring ability gives me some hope.

2. gianthead said, on September 15, 2016 at 8:13 am

I’ll call it a shit fest…

3. gianthead said, on September 15, 2016 at 8:14 am

It was way more pleasurable leaving in about the 8th inning last night for some country rib eye steaks at a local barbecue joint…as Homer Simpson would say…..mmmmmmm….

4. sfsarge said, on September 15, 2016 at 8:16 am

I barely remember 93, still in HS. But I do remember the 2007 Mets, and this kind of reminds me of that. Before I posted this, I googled that team just to make sure I had it right. So their collapse was more of a September thing and not a whole second half disappearing act. But, that was the first thing that jumped into my head after getting swept by the lowly friars in our yard. Pfft. Not our year. Maybe tickets will be cheaper next season. I have no expectations for this Cards series other than I expected this team to lay down and die. There is no fight. They seem to already be making vacation plans for October.

5. gianthead said, on September 15, 2016 at 8:20 am

The concept of manufacturing runs was what I loved about Roger Craig and his managering…but we had Brett Butler then to set the table…we have no Brett Butler today. We have Denard Spanless…

6. alleykat69 said, on September 15, 2016 at 8:30 am

Oh I remember 93 very well!
    We had in the bag until the fucking Padres traded Crime Dog to the Braves and he went off !! Batted a 1000 with Ops of 5000 and they rolled to make up the deficit. And it came down to Soloman Torres, might as well have been Wellenmeyer!!!

7. djloo27 said, on September 15, 2016 at 8:40 am

Comparisons to 1993 are stupid. Should it continue, this will be a collapse of historic proportions – not just in Giant history, but maybe in all of baseball history…

8. Macdog said, on September 15, 2016 at 8:46 am

I saw this posted on ESPN last night, a look at some past horrific collapses, the ’93 Giants are most certainly not among them.

• unca_chuck said, on September 15, 2016 at 9:03 am

Fuck ESPN. Fuck them with a broken bottle.

After ignoring the team through 3 championship seasons now they direct their attention to the collapse? Fuck ’em with a rusty hammer.

9. snarkk said, on September 15, 2016 at 8:55 am

Kuiper says on KNBR that Bochy will likely continue trotting Span out there over Hernandez. Hope he’s wrong. How low can it be when you are begging for Gorkys Hernandez to start?. Has there been a Williamson sighting at all since he came up?…

• unca_chuck said, on September 15, 2016 at 9:04 am

Fuck Bochy. Fuck him with a broken bottle.

After ignoring the ineptitude through 3 months of dogshit, he still trots out the same lineup? Fuck him with a rusty hammer.

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 15, 2016 at 9:00 am

No matter what you thought about Sabean, when he was front and center in the media the club reflected his scrappy arrogant personality. Now they seem to have taken on Booby’s Pillsbury Dough-Boy identity.

11. unca_chuck said, on September 15, 2016 at 9:01 am

103 wins is was and NEVER will be considered a collapse. Jesus fucking Christ.

Of course it was the debut season for the one and only Netherlandian Rikkert Faneyte.

12. zumiee said, on September 15, 2016 at 9:19 am

Someone put out a missing person’s report on Parker and Williamson.

13. Flavor said, on September 15, 2016 at 9:30 am

new thread

14. sandog said, on September 15, 2016 at 9:31 am

The 1993 was a great team, not a good team. Since then, only 4 teams have won more games in a season than that team did.