Improbable Happenings

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 17, 2016

Maybe the Padres have just had the worst luck of any team in the history of baseball? The most potent 62 win team in the league?

Is it possible the Cardinals are worse than San Diego? Of course not. I think I am being too linear with everything. “This team lost to this team so they are worse than this team…” That doesn’t work in baseball. Any team can beat any team in a series for a variety of reasons.

And for whatever those reasons are, we are beating St Louis rather handily right now.

I saw something last night, didn’t understand it, maybe you guys could help me out. It was the 4th inning and Buster Posey hit a ball in the air (no seriously, he did) and it flew and kept flying and it ended up going over that wall that separates the fans from the field. Then for some reason play just kinda stopped. Buster was running slower than usual around the bases and the fans were cheering. Cardinals were standing around, nothing was happening and the ball he hit was never returned to the field of play. What exactly happened there? Did the Giants or Buster get penalized because Buster seemed to have inadvertently lost the ball they were using?

It’s Saturday. Go dominate this great day….

1. snarkk said, on September 17, 2016 at 9:03 pm

If I’m key players, including Posey, I go to Bochy and say WTF are you doing with Casilla? Stop it. Put the guy in the corner and give him a Binky. No more bringing him in at all. Ever…

2. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 17, 2016 at 9:04 pm

It’s just… so puzzling.

3. Lurker John said, on September 17, 2016 at 9:06 pm

I can only think that Bochy has some health issue we don’t know about, or some personal or family matter that’s really weighing on him and affecting his judgement. Loyalty to vets takes you only so far, and Casilla has more than shown he’s just not up to the task. Everybody but Bochy seems to know this.

All I know is that if this season ends badly, and by that I mean the Giants don’t make the playoffs, we’ll always look back on 2016 as the one that got away.

4. zumiee said, on September 17, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Romo made it clear how he felt getting yanked, by basically laughing in Bochy’s face. The players are probably saying privately: “The old man has lost it.”

5. Irish Kevin said, on September 17, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Kruk, Casilla is snake bit and fragile, he gets butt hurt from hearing boos from the fans?? Fuck Casilla, get some thicker shin, if Wilson had been booed he would have just flipped off the fans!!
    28 blown saves….😤😤😤😤

6. Lurker John said, on September 17, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Yeah, WTF is with removing Romo? He’s got every bit the crunch time experience that Casilla does but without the 2016 nightmare Casilla is having. This is beyond frustrating.

7. djloo27 said, on September 17, 2016 at 9:10 pm

• alleykat69 said, on September 17, 2016 at 9:19 pm

“You can’t handle the truth”
      Santiago wasn’t killed because he couldn’t throw a baseball worth shit, he was killed because he didn’t follow protocol after I gave the code red!!!

8. Lurker John said, on September 17, 2016 at 9:12 pm

The starting pitching right now is pretty much lights out, even Samardzija has gotten it back together. Moore has been terrific, Cueto is 15-5 and Bum is Bum. In a short series, against ANYBODY, this team would be tough right now. But this nightmare of a closer situation is coming close to making that all but impossible.

Time to set loyalties aside and do what’s right for team. This is a huge series and the Giants just gave away a massively important game.

9. pawliekokonuts said, on September 17, 2016 at 9:14 pm

These are human beings, and it is very hard to imagine a clubhouse without tension, lots of it. I predict we will hear about a fracas or a fisticuffs breaking out. It won’t come out right away. But the frustration is bound to boil over. Shit, I’m ready to boil over — and I live alone!

10. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 17, 2016 at 9:16 pm

And if there is no frustration, then that means they just don’t care anymore. Which I find hard to believe. Whatever happens, I think Bochy retires after this season. And he can take Roberto Kelly with him. Maybe it’s time for Steve Decker to get a shot.

11. Flavor said, on September 17, 2016 at 9:21 pm

I’m glad Romo was laughing. Fuck this. Someone has to call Bochy out on this out and out madness….

12. pawliekokonuts said, on September 17, 2016 at 9:24 pm

The fookin Pinky Blinders wouldn’t stand for this!

13. snarkk said, on September 17, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Post game trying to paper over the disaster. That Molina had big time ownage over Romo, and Casilla had way better stats against him. R they serious? The stats don’t matter now. Casilla is fried, he is done. Can’t Bochy see this? Casilla gets any kind of pressure, he goes off the rails, and hits guys, pays no attention to runners, throws wild pitches. This is total insanity by Bochy — fans are booing his move when he brings him in. The fans know better than Bochy. This is now officially worse than Benitez…

• djloo27 said, on September 17, 2016 at 9:30 pm

14. Flavor said, on September 17, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Bochy’s presser was a joke. He said we “huddled up” suggesting that Raggs had something to do with this too. And then he just kept blathering on about Molina’s record v Romo and…wait for it….Casilla’s 30 saves! Kruk brought up a great point: You don’t bring someone this fragile into a game mid inning. Either let him start it or don’t bring him in at all. And for Bochy to say he thought Casilla looked good last night during a fucking blow out shows he has no ability to understand how pressure affects Casilla. How could he not understand this?

15. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 17, 2016 at 9:42 pm

I can remember some discussions over the years here on the Flap about statistics indicating that “the manager” really does not directly influence a significant number of wins or losses over the course of a season. Rather it’s more or less fans’ perceptions of these things. Man, I don’t know…. some quixotic managing in the 2nd half, to be sure, but just looking at September, this is mind-bogglingly disastrous.

• djloo27 said, on September 17, 2016 at 9:44 pm

16. snarkk said, on September 17, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Just called Lurie and bitched out Bochy. I said save Law and Smith for the 9th, Casilla never comes in with tying run on base or at plate. He agreed with me…

17. unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Jesus. I’m glad I missed this one. Frankly I can’t believe this one. How many more times till Bochy gets it?

Tomorrow can be very easily be the determining factor. Win and they are 3 up on StL. Lose and they are one up and they fucked over what little momentum they had. Granted StL is no great shakes now but this is just ask is the way Bochy is dealing with his pen. Taking Strick out for Okert? Fucking Casilla over and over?

That being said I think Bochy retires after this season regardless of the outcome.

18. zumiee said, on September 17, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Who allows a guy to get 9 blown saves? That’s nuts.
    Give’em heck on the radio, Snarkk!

• snarkk said, on September 17, 2016 at 10:31 pm

Now more blown saves than Benitez had in late may 2007 when the “lunatic fringe” forced Sabean to finally get rid of him. Lurie talked about that in my call with him, and I said this was worse, because that 2007 team was going nowhere, and this team is in mid-playoff drive with a real shot at a WC spot, when every game is precious. He agreed. Fuck Bochy…

19. snarkk said, on September 17, 2016 at 10:28 pm

If they closed this one out, they’re up by 3 on the Cards, and it’s getting close to nailing the door on a WC spot. But, no. Bochy brings in Casilla. Insane. If they don’t get in by a game, this cratering is on Bruce Bochy. This bullshit 9th inning stuff has to be taking a toll on the team. They bust ass for 8 innings to get a great 2-1 lead in a playoff-type game, and here comes Bochy putting in Casilla. I can’t believe callers are taking fans at ATT to task for booing Bochy when he brought in Casilla. That’s what fans do, when they KNOW that this is a bullshit move. And, they were right. This is seriously like Benitez in 2007. The fans were ahead of management…

20. unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Yeah, saw the highlights, and Romo was flat laughing at Bochy. Romo has to be thinking what, have I blown 9 saves this year? Fuck, I’m watching these highlights, WTF with Span running on the sac fly? Span gets doubled off 1st (bad luck on that sure), but yeah, keep trotting him out.

Fuck, Bochy, you are making it hard to fucking like what you are doing.

“Tough luck there.” No, stupid managing, Boch. Romo gets pulled for giving up a single. Casilla comes in carrying an 8-spot for blown saves? And you are surprised at what happens?

Blaming the fans for doing anything BUT is ludicrous. Win tomorrow, and they are in decent shape. Loes and I think they don;t pull oput of the freefall.

21. Macdog said, on September 17, 2016 at 10:53 pm

I read the Penn State posts. My daughter has started her freshman year at Penn State-Brandywine, about 20 miles south of Philly. She’s on the soccer team, it’s D3. So far she likes it there, and if she’s happy, I’m happy, But yeah, I wasn’t too thrilled with the Paterno stuff going on at today’s football game.

22. snarkk said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:08 pm

11 pm and Bears v. Texas still has 10 minutes to go.
    43-40 Bears, but no way it ends this way. Bears can’t stop jack…

23. unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:15 pm

Sht. What channel? There are times I hate att dish. 500 channels are infomercials.

• zumiee said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:17 pm

ESPN.

24. snarkk said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Texas is supposedly #11 ranked, Bears are giving them all they can handle. Either TX is way over-ranked, or Bears are better than advertised. I suspect the former. These early season rankings are total BS…

25. snarkk said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:18 pm

This is where Cal usually craps in its nest. Maybe this time will be different?…

26. unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:19 pm

Ahhh found it.

27. unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:22 pm

Yeah, hard to say. Cal is doing great offensively under Dykes. But the defense is pretty soft. Or non-existent.

This is the thing with college football in general. Way too many 64-58 games. I like offense but the defenses resemble NBA all star game defenses.

28. unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:28 pm

Cal with a stop!

29. zumiee said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:30 pm

Huge third and one.

• zumiee said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:32 pm

Oh man!

30. snarkk said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:31 pm

Cal on verge of winning?
    Listening to KGO — Starkey is just a gawd awful announcer in such a big game…

31. unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:33 pm

Cal player drops the ball at the 1/2 yard line. Can’t win for trying. They may not overturn it though if they don’t have the view from the goal line. They have 50 fucking cameras out there put 2 on the goal line.

Stupid by the player. And the refs stupidly give the ball to Cal despite a Texas player picking up the ball after the ‘fumble’.

• zumiee said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Something about the ball not being recovered immediately.

32. zumiee said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:37 pm

What a strange rule. Some of the college rules seem strange.

• unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:45 pm

He picked it up about 4 seconds after the guy dropped it. Yeah, don’t get that rule either. The Texas coach didn’t seem to complain though.

• unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:46 pm

It would have been 1st down with about a minute 10 left.

33. snarkk said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:37 pm

Wow, crazy ending.
    What a moronic, undisciplined late game move, typical, by a Cal player.
    Go Bears!…

34. zumiee said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:39 pm

California defeating Texas has a nice sound to it.

35. unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2016 at 11:54 pm

And, for no other reason that why the fuck not . . .

36. snarkk said, on September 18, 2016 at 12:15 am

Apparently since nobody picked up the ball right away, the refs blew the whistle. Play dead on the 1 yard line. Ball to Cal. Very fortunate. A great play and should have been a game-capping TD turned into a doofus move by Enwere. Anyway, props to the Bears for a great win. Go Bears!…

37. unca_chuck said, on September 18, 2016 at 12:31 am

38. chipower9 said, on September 18, 2016 at 6:07 am

No surprise. When the cards tied it in the 9th I decided that I could not watch and turned the game off.

Kruk (I believe) made the comment that the Giants have the best win record when leading after 7 (that stat had to have been passed on the back of the first half). And they sure as fuck must lead in blown saves in the 9th.

By the time this year ends my hair will be completely gray, and I will most likely have ulcers to boot!

Not like they all are not key now, but this one (with the bums and mets winning) becomes more pronounced.

I’ll be following on my phone while I video Gail’s agility runs today. Need that series win!