Managerial Meltdown

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 18, 2016

With three World Series beauties in the bank since 2010, I really don’t have a problem with losing. It washes off me so easily I almost feel guilty. It’s not that I don’t care. I care. But I don’t understand some of these fans who are rioting on the KNBR airwaves about not getting Cespedes or losing a series to the Padres. They act like those pathetic losers in Willy Wonka who didn’t get all the candy they were promised. Winning a World Series is hard to do and you should spend your time celebrating those rare victories, not whining for an entire year when you don’t win.

While I don’t have a problem with not winning a World Series every year, I have a HUUUUUUGE problem with how we lose individual games. And we have reached a form of losing I don’t think I can ever recall experiencing as a Giants fan. Bruce Bochy has paralyzed his ability to manage successfully with his bizarre obsession with Santiago Casilla.

Bochy seems to have camped out in 2 defenses of the indefensible decision to use Casilla: 1) Casilla’s *stuff* and 2) his 31 saves. What Bochy doesn’t value: 1) Casilla’s mental state 2) the fact that the fans are booing him before he throws a pitch and the pitcher he is replacing is literally laughing out loud. Numbers 1 and 2 of *The Things Bochy Doesn’t Value* absolutely matter. You can’t just gloss over that like they don’t. And #2 sustains and worsens #1. And you cannot be a closer at any level of baseball if #1 is fucked up. Finally, this isn’t about the fans booing although they have every right to question Bochy’s decisions. Romo’s hee-haw all the way to the dugout showed what the players think of this shit….

Every single decision you make in your life comes down to risk/reward. The higher the risk, you better see a potential higher reward. Or you shouldn’t do it. That’s the poker player in me talking but if you think about it you can apply it to every decision you ever make. Since Bochy began this obsession with bringing Casilla into high risk situations I keep trying to figure out what his reward is. It doesn’t seem to come close to matching the risk. I’m assuming he’s trying to #1 win the game and #2 get Casilla’s confidence back. But at this point, Casilla has no chance of stringing the several successful outings together needed to rebuild his confidence. So one save is great but it will all soon be undone, exponentially, with the next impending implosion. And each blown save at this point in the season far outweighs any small bump to his confidence that a save might give him. I will cue up Romo’s laugh track if you tell me I’m wrong….

So none of this is making any sense unless #1 Bochy is trying to lose these games or #2 Bruce Bochy is suffering from a total breakdown to his own level of confidence. And if that’s the case our season is doomed and if he can’t figure #2 out in the off season it is time for him to go.

1. unca_chuck said, on September 18, 2016 at 7:36 am

No, I don;t get it either, and I didn’t get it with Ray Ray and Rowand either. And countless other guys.

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 18, 2016 at 7:58 am

I was at the game with my cousin last night and sat in the bleachers. We threw back some suds and talked about this team having all the hallmarks of a Bochy led club. More or less meaning that it’s going to come down to the last week of the season. Samardzija pitched well and even came through with an RBI. I think that’s the second or third start where he’s had good at bats in support of a strong effort on the mound (I don’t know if you know this but he played football in college. He’s an athlete). Anyway, he grinded it out and the game had all of the signs of a late season Giants win; good pitching, some great defensive plays and timely hits. Everything was sailing along just fine and the bullpen got active. Everyone did their part and then the 9th rolled around. With both Casilla and Romo warming up the crowd was palpably on edge wondering who would get the call. Cheers rose up as Romo came out and got it done. Oh, yeah. Bochy will leave him in for sure, right?

Then…Casilla. I couldn’t see Romo laughing in Bochy’s face but that’s a huge diss and a sign that he’s lost the clubhouse, no? As Casilla warmed up I watched the infielders gathered behind the mound. Their body language was not the stuff of confidence. Nunez gave Casilla some of what I can only assume were encouraging words. Perhaps “don’t mess this up pendejo”? Meanwhile, in the stands Giants fans sagged as we prepared for the inevitable outcome. Cardinals fans rejoiced.

• alleykat69 said, on September 18, 2016 at 8:20 am

Dirt your right about losing the clubhouse. Romo’s act( and really I don’t blame him given Casilla’s shit on a shingle sandwich performance all the time) can divide this clubhouse in half.
      Funny how this time when Casilla left the mound he was I guess trying to take the high road by taking his hand out of his glove and tapping his glove in support of the next pitcher. Probably figuring Romo will take the wrath from Bochy this time!

3. alleykat69 said, on September 18, 2016 at 8:09 am

Yeah Chuck it’s maddening how Bochy’s loyalty to washed up vets hurt the Giants especially in the development of players who rot on the bench instead of getting much needed AB’s!!!
    Like I mentioned in the past Randy Winn’s a prime example, his last year was pathetic 1 fucking HR all year in 550 AB’s??? Yet skippy kept pencilling his sorry ass in every game over Nate Scheirholtz ( ok he was hot& cold) but how can you really get consistent if your getting a small morsel of AB’s every 2 weeks are so???

4. zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 8:18 am

Thanks for the awesome game report, Dirt. Always great to get the perspective from someone at the game.

5. zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 8:22 am

Over the years, a lot of Giants fans may have wondered why the Padres let Bochy go. They let him go because they had all of the Bochy frustration, but without the championships.

6. zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 8:31 am

As BF said, Bochy’s risk/reward concept with Casilla has completely gone off the rails. Bochy likes to think “long game,” which I understand; but there’s a time and place for “short game,” too. These Cards games are too important to be using to try to “restore” Casilla.

7. willedav said, on September 18, 2016 at 8:32 am

Missed this one, another tale of defeat snatched from jaws of victory.
    Reading through posts Giants season reminds me of old Jim McKay (?) doing the Wide World of Sports intro and the “agony of defeat” as the skier (ski jumper?) gets thrashed and tumbles down the hill.

• djloo27 said, on September 18, 2016 at 11:10 am

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 18, 2016 at 8:34 am

From where we were it was hard to tell If it was Casilla or Bochy being booed. It felt like it was directed at Casilla as everyone in the park knew what was going to happen. Well, everyone but Bochy. As Flavor asks in the main, I just don’t get the payoff behind the move. No confidence in Romo v Molina? Whelp, you still get the same outcome so at least give it a shot. Try something different. Anyone but Strickland but mix it for crying out loud!

9. willedav said, on September 18, 2016 at 8:36 am

As has been posted by many others lately, even half of the Casilla blown saves had been Ws, Giants would be sitting a lot prettier.

Day ago Daniel I’m sure was singing the blues after SF thrashed another one of their SPs.
    Now it’s more like
    What a difference a day makes
    24 little hours

10. willedav said, on September 18, 2016 at 8:43 am

According to Pavs(direct quotes on Q and A from Bochy on csn), Bochy was asked about Law too and said he hadn’t been in there. Well, who’s fault is that?
    He used everybody but Law Friday night in the blowout. Seems an inning to get back in gear might have been beneficial before throwing him back into the fire sure, but that could have been easily alleviated Friday night.

Very interested to see what the deal is with Romo who has always been good soldier and what Lurie et al take is.
    And don’t forget, Bochy had no problem letting Casilla face Lamb who also had major ownage including HRs.
    And how did that work out?

11. Flavor said, on September 18, 2016 at 8:50 am

don’t forget, Casilla replaced Romo a few years ago when he was going bad. Now he gives up one hit and the dude who is w/o question the worst closer in baseball is replacing you? I’d lol for that reason alone if I was Romo.

12. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 18, 2016 at 9:21 am

I haven’t been able to see the “Romo laughing” video, anyone got a link for that? Unfortunately, it’s not a laughing matter. Great post, Dirt. And yeah, “he’s lost the clubhouse” was something I never thought would happen but now have to wonder if THAT’s what’s been going on since July, for whatever reason (Bochy’s illness, whatever). If that’s the case, this season is likely gone, and Bruce will be gone after it. Damn.

13. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 18, 2016 at 9:25 am

But then again, they’re still in the wildcard hunt, and there are still 2 weeks…. oh nevermind……………..

14. snarkk said, on September 18, 2016 at 9:38 am

Awesome thread lede, BF. This is exactly it. Bochy is trying to rehabilitate Casilla’s mental state in the middle of the most critical stretch of games in the season. Say WHAT? And this dude is not even coming back next season. I called into Lurie last night because I was sick and tired of hearing dumbshits call into KNBR and continue saying, “well, uh, yeah not good, but in Bochy we trust”. I told Lurie that Bochy trotting out Casilla is the definition of insanity, same thing over and over, yet expect a different result. And, that Casilla is mentally fried, it’s obvious. No way you bring in a mentally fried closer, particularly in the middle of a stretch drive playing a team competing for your WC spot. At this point, his splits being better against Molina than Romo’s splits are totally irrelevant, and a smokescreen for just clueless managing. Read the friggin players, Bochy, not the stat sheet. When fans at ATT are booing your move to bring in Casilla when he comes IN, you know as a manager something is really not cool. That is Benitez territory. We are not lunatic fringers here. ATT does NOT boo Giants, unless the situation is rock bottom. Save Law and Smith for the 9th, period — go with it. If they F it up, so be it. You cannot let Casilla lose more games for this squad. No wonder Romo is laughing. The scenario of Bochy losing the clubhouse in the second half seems a real possibility to me, and Romo’s deal last night is a window into that…

• Flavor said, on September 18, 2016 at 9:50 am

love that you called into Lurie! How did he take your perspective?

• snarkk said, on September 18, 2016 at 9:58 am

Totally agreed with me. Didn’t pump up Bochy at all when I pulled the insanity thing, and that Casilla is mentally fried. Exact words I used. I felt like I was channeling Salty, the epic ranter who always calls in to rip the Giants, only I was a little lighter on the rant bit. He asked me what I would do, and I said save Law and Smith for the 9th, period. Law has strike out closer stuff, and Smith could be used for the odd lefty hitter, and can get righties out — he’s a vet, that’s why they freakin got him to work both sides of the plate. If they F it up, so be it. Casilla never never comes in any more with the tying run on or at the plate. Marty was cool with all that; and totally perplexed by Bochy’s insistence on Casilla. Lurie and Bruce Jenkins were just on KNBR ripping Bochy’s Casilla move right now, and that it just can’t happen anymore. Duh. I saw Kruk on the CSN site post-game, closest I’ve seen him come to out and out questioning Bochy in anything. He basically said Casilla is mentally done, you can’t bring him into a high leverage deal, especially mid-inning…

• Flavor said, on September 18, 2016 at 10:30 am

I appreciated Kruk’s comments, too. He finally said something meaningful and honest. He probably feels so dirty today. πŸ™‚

15. snarkk said, on September 18, 2016 at 10:12 am

Zig zagging here — last night had to be one of the better Bay Area football nights in a while for college. Stanfoo took care of biz against ‘SC (yes, when those two get together, I believe most Cal people will root for Stanfoo). And, Cal beat Texass, in a total shootout. Best win at Berkeley under the Sonny Dykes “era”. If Cal only had a defense, they’d be a friggin force. SJSU lost to Utah State, but, that’s kind of a whatever for me…

16. willedav said, on September 18, 2016 at 10:39 am

Completely off topic but this is something I’ve wondered about for a long time that was brought up forcibly by SF Chron columnist Robt. Reich.

Euro Union ordered Ireland to collect $14.5 Billion in back taxes from Apple. Bout freaking time since they are running total scam laundering what is done right here where I live to protected overseas accounts that sell it back at reduced rates.
    Of course as Reich says so does Google, Amazon, Starbucks and Big Pharma.

American response? Instead of championing the cause and taking their own shots to get back some of the Trillions of dollars, they take opposite tack–Paul Ryan calls it “awful.”

WTF? These multinational tax cheats have stolen Triliions from America and these guys are OK with that?
    Get off your kneepads and do what is right. Like Americans can’t use this money to improve the country for everyone, not provide executive benefits and corp dividends for those who need it least.

17. snarkk said, on September 18, 2016 at 10:59 am

Bochy not playing Posey today — just frustrating.
    Unless Posey can’t friggin move, he has to play today. Period.
    This is a critical game against a direct opponent for the WC spot. This series against LA coming up is meaningless right now. If Posey is not hurt, he plays…

• willedav said, on September 18, 2016 at 11:09 am

A split after taking first 2 would suck.
      Btw, Mets who get the Twins (worst team in all baseball) again today, play the Braves (second worst) next, at home.
      Giants next are 3 in LA and 4 at the freaking Padres, who could just plain ruin everything.

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 18, 2016 at 11:03 am

Come on, snarkk. Posey’s banged up. Catching takes a toll on ya.

• snarkk said, on September 18, 2016 at 11:20 am

Molina is catching today, he’s 5 years older than Buster. Molina’s caught the previous 3 games here, and the 3 games before that, I checked. 7 games in a row, counting today. I’ll bet he’s “banged up”, too…

19. djloo27 said, on September 18, 2016 at 11:05 am

The rules pertaining to a completed pass in the NFL have gotten so convoluted that they are completely beyond my comprehension. Chiefs just benefited from one that I find impossible to believe…

• djloo27 said, on September 18, 2016 at 11:18 am

And another.
      Seems like it’s always the opposite of what common sense tells you you’re seeing…

• unca_chuck said, on September 18, 2016 at 12:22 pm

It’s retarded. Fully half the completions for the past 75 years would be disallowed.

20. snarkk said, on September 18, 2016 at 11:23 am

Warm at the yard today. Could be a homer game. Hopefully Suarez can keep Cards to one or two in five frames, and only solo shots. Suarez averaging about 3 runs given up per start. So, Giants going to need to get more than 3 runs today…

21. unca_chuck said, on September 18, 2016 at 11:29 am

Span at lead off. Oh joy.

22. willedav said, on September 18, 2016 at 12:00 pm

zero use for entire package of genre, but sideline babe at Niner game (Jen Hale) is very hot.

Must be a blog that rates them all somewhere, with visual previews yada yada.

23. snarkk said, on September 18, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Casilla post-game quote last night:

Santiago Casilla, through translator Erwin Higueros, afterward: “I’m not sad. I’m not going to kill myself. I did my best. It’s a game.”

24. snarkk said, on September 18, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Span back to leadoff. Why?…

25. unca_chuck said, on September 18, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Because Bochy

26. zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Span managed to kill two potential rallies last night.

27. unca_chuck said, on September 18, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Yup Dumb basedunning both times

28. snarkk said, on September 18, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Well, there’s one homer off Suarez. Too bad not a solo job.
    He’s on track for 2 over the 5. I don’t think Suarez and Brown is a good combo for pitch calls – I dunno if Brown is getting calls from the bench…

• zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Two unfortunate hanging breaking pitches got him that inning. The Cards didn’t miss either of those two hangers.

29. zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 2:00 pm

Snarkk, Bochy gave Buster a rest day today to be able to start all the games in the Dodgers series. I’m sure Matheny will give Molina a day off during their Rockies series. The Giants’ situation was a little trickier. I don’t think we want the Giants to theoretically give up on the division title chase yet, although that looks more grim lately, admittedly.

• snarkk said, on September 18, 2016 at 2:06 pm

I get that. And, I think it’s bullshit. If you win today, you probably guarantee yourself a WC spot. Lose, and the WC is totally up for grabs, and the division is one less game possible. Winning the division is now minor miracle territory. If Buster PHits today, then he could have played…

• zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 2:09 pm

What- you don’t think the Giants are going to sweep all 6 games with the Dodgers? πŸ™‚

• snarkk said, on September 18, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Dbacks 5-0 up on LA. Winning today is even more important now…

30. zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 2:07 pm

The Dodgers are starting a scrubini lineup today.

31. snarkk said, on September 18, 2016 at 2:08 pm

BF, check out your buddy Schulman’s twitter. He’s got more tweets on how he’s PO’d about waiting in a concession line than writing about what’s happening in the game…

• Flavor said, on September 18, 2016 at 4:13 pm

he blocked me, I can’t view his tweets. I also blocked him and someday that’s going to come back and bite him in the ass

32. alleykat69 said, on September 18, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Just got 18 holes in at Crystal Springs, beautiful day, hitting some bombs off the tee, and nailed 2 long putts!
    Come into the Clubhouse and nothing new , no giant runs,and they just fucked up a 2nd&3rd 1 out, golf was sure much more enjoyable, with less torture!!

33. zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Adrian Gonzalez ties the Dodgers game with a pinch-hit bases loaded double that scores all the runners. I’m just so tired of that guy. We had to go against him all those years with the Padres, including the close division title battle in 2010, and then he was finally gone, traded to the Red Sox; but a couple of years later, traded back to the division with the Dodgers. He’s been an irritation to Giants fans for a long amount of time. He’s getting up there in years, but obviously still a very productive player. He “hasn’t won the big one yet,” but maybe he will before he’s done with the Dodgers. I’ll be very happy to see him retire someday, as I think he’s sort of the glue that holds the Dodger lineup together.

34. zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 3:28 pm

The Giants getting shut down by some rookie starting pitcher they’ve never seen before….who could have predicted that?

35. unca_chuck said, on September 18, 2016 at 3:36 pm

This team once again is lifeless. Game over. Season over.

36. unca_chuck said, on September 18, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Romo laughing his way off the mound last night is the signature to the 2nd half collapse.

37. zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 4:04 pm

There’s that thing we’ve talked about before on the Flap: the blown saves usually have a carry-over effect the next day. The Casilla blown saves, and the bullpen overall, sucked a lot of life out of this team.

38. mrsprtdude said, on September 18, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Craig your Buster post opening yesterday was CLASSIC! Your thoughts on Bochy’s lame managing also spot on.

Totally not surprising SF dead today. No emotion…and yet…

Unlike Giants who have not won a game they were down big in all year, or in the 9th all year ( just my impression, not checked). Dodgers doing it again. Down 6-0 to AZ it’s now 7-7 in the 8th. LA playing like we used to. They never quit…

39. zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 4:07 pm

The Giants players aren’t having all that much fun on the field these days. In a few weeks, if they’re eliminated from the playoffs, these guys will be going on vacation. That vacation is probably looking about as good to these guys as actually making the playoffs.

40. mrsprtdude said, on September 18, 2016 at 4:08 pm

Now 9-7 LA. Have to admit, that is Impressive…

• zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 4:14 pm

They just kept tinkering with their roster all season until they got something that worked. While the Giants were throwing Peavy and Cain out there for regular starts, the Dodgers were making constant adjustments.
      There’s no way the Dodgers would have kept a wounded Blanco on the roster all season. Or someone as limp with the bat as Adrianza.
      It’s helped them that they had some good drafts in recent years. Ironically a lot of the folks that helped with those drafts were let go by their new front office.

• Flavor said, on September 18, 2016 at 5:02 pm

that’s a great point. But the Dodgers were doing that out of necessity. Maybe if Bochy had his back to the wall a little more, in terms of having half his team DL’d the way the way the Dodgers were, he would have tried using different players…..

41. zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 4:16 pm

As the cliche goes, the Giants still have their destiny in their own hands. Just win some friggin’ games.

42. snarkk said, on September 18, 2016 at 5:05 pm

Marty Lurie is running out of “mosaic”…

43. zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Bochy postgame press conference….I don’t need to repeat it, you already know what he said: “blah, blah, blah, the Cards pitched well….we had bad breaks…..our guys can do it…..sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy….”

44. Flavor said, on September 18, 2016 at 5:19 pm

if i had more interest to do it, I might go back and look at how the Giants do the few games after Casilla blows a save. The only thing stopping me is that there are other games he fucks up and doesn’t get a blown save (like the one where he got a hold and Nathan got the BS). And if I don’t include all those games too it might not be statistically meaningful. Thoughts?

• zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 5:30 pm

I think there’s a big connection. The guys battle all game and get a lead, and Casilla just gives it away. It seems like he continually destroys their momentum. Yeah, it would be interesting to see actual stats on that.

45. zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 5:35 pm

The Giants have such negative energy they sucked Baggs’ blog into a black hole. The Merc ended the blog before the season was even over. I guess Baggs was too busy for it, maybe.
    He’s still the Merc’s beat writer for the Giants.

46. Flavor said, on September 18, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Here ya go. Just the blow saves……
    BS on April 9th, Giants lost. They won their next 2 games.
    BS on April 18th, Giants lost. They lost their next 3 games.
    BS on May 11th, Giants WON. They won 7 in a row.
    BS on June 1st, Giants lost. They won their next 2 games.
    BS on July 16th (the San Diego melt down). Giants lost. They lost their next 4 games.
    BS Aug 14th (Oriole travesty). Giants lost. They lost their next 3 games.
    BS Sept 4th. Giants lost. Lost their next game.
    BS Sept 9th. Giants WON. Giants won next 2 games.
    BS Sept 17th. Giants lost. Giants get shut out today………

• zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Interesting; thanks.
      It seems, to me, the effect was bigger as the season wore on, as the team got more worn down.

• Flavor said, on September 18, 2016 at 6:20 pm

Yeah. It seemed to take its toll in the second half

47. snarkk said, on September 18, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Dodgers lose again.
    If the Giants had played .500 ball post-break, they would be ahead in the division…

• zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 5:46 pm

The Giants are about .350 or something similar in the second half.

48. zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Fun facts:
    The Giants have now been shut-out 12 times this season.
    They are 0-58 when trailing after 8 innings.

49. zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Bum vs. Kershaw tomorrow.

50. blade3colorado said, on September 18, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Caught up on 2 threads, 3 to go . . . Saw Paul the day before yesterday (Saigon time) and he gave me some info on apartments. Yes, I am definitely thinking about staying here a bit more. So, yes the “bald eagle” not only has landed, but is thinking about making a nest here. Ha. Ahh, what else? Umm, good one Dirt about . . . Whoops, almost forgot – I never kiss and tell.

Won’t even comment on the Giants, as that will only depress my good mood. You guys and Flavor’s opening comments about covered the entire mess.

51. mrsprtdude said, on September 18, 2016 at 7:24 pm

Sad stat Zummie. How many games have lost when leading in the 9th?

52. alleykat69 said, on September 18, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Jon Miller said the Padres haven’t loss a 9th inning lead in over 2 YEARS!!!
    Shit the Giants can’t go 24 hrs without doing that..

53. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 18, 2016 at 7:47 pm

I’m still looking for video of Romo laughing after being pulled, anyone have a link?

• Flavor said, on September 18, 2016 at 8:14 pm

weird. I don’t know why that’s not out there.

54. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 18, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Looked for one too, Paul. Haven’t been able to find it.

55. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 18, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Well, I didn’t really expect to find it on the Giants’ site…. πŸ™‚ I’ll keep looking.

56. sandog said, on September 18, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Greetings and felicitations! I missed both yesterday’s and today’s game while out on the course playing some horrific golf and being a general man about the town. Yesterday, a rattlesnake slithered across the back of the fourth green while we were getting ready to putt, which was quite interesting.
    Can’t wait to see a video of Romo laughing his way off the mound, I absolutely love that!
    I must comment on some of the fast food talk that was going down yesterday.
    In n Out: Southern Californians in general go absolutely ape shit for in and out burger. I do think it is a good burger, but I think most people around here get a little carried away.
    Five Guys don’t do me no good. (Yes, that was a House of Pain reference. And earlier I made a Star Trek reference. If you got either one of those, you get a gold star. ) but I agree with whoever said yesterday that five guys ain’t so great and is a bit overpriced. I was at a five guys down here once, and there was nobody in the place. I’m not sure if that place is going to make it in San Diego. Habit burger on the other hand, is the real deal in my opinion. We had none of them here a couple of years ago, and now they’re probably five of them including a sweet one on campus at San Diego State. They have one burger they call Santa Barbara style, that is on grilled sourdough and has fresh avocado on it. Good shit.
    Loo: don’t be afraid to order the chopped salad at Subway. Great way to get a big dose of fresh veggies.
    Snarkk: when you call in to Marty Lurie, do you go by he handle of “Snarkk?” Please say yes. I heard a little bit of Marty when I was in Northern Cal over Labor Day weekend. He does a hell of a good job. “Raff” was there with him, but there was no mention of Beer Can. Has anyone heard any mention of her this season?

• sandog said, on September 18, 2016 at 9:10 pm

….one more thing (very important). Habit serves $1 soft serve cones too. I love me a soft serve after a big meal and getting it for $1 makes it taste even better.

• zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Sounds very good, including the avocado burger.

Why does your son think of Univ. of Miami as a cool college choice? Just wondering. I actually know almost nothing about the college other than they had some football success.

• sandog said, on September 18, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Hey Zum! Trev’s reasons for loving the U are not real deep. I think he loves “the swag” and mystique that surrounds Miami. He was highly entertained by much of the content in the 30 for 30 series on the U. Walking out of the Fiesta Bowl banquet dressed in camouflage gear, building a football dynasty at a school with zero football tradition, the intensity of Sean Taylor. Important stuff like that.

57. sandog said, on September 18, 2016 at 9:18 pm

I am in a weird headspace right now when it comes to sports. The NFL bug really hasn’t bitten me yet, and I’m finding it hard to watch more than 10 minutes of any of the games-even the Chiefs or Niners. College football and all of the bullshit and hypocrisy that comes with it (JoePa comes to mind) lost me for good a few years back.
    The Giants??? Somewhere in the middle of this Casilla melt down patch, for me the season went over the cliff and exploded spectacularly on the valley floor. My reaction to that alternates between cackling like The Riddler and staring blankly in the distance. Yes, the 3 rings have taken some of the passion out of me. I’m going to the games down here on both Thursday and Saturday, so maybe being there in person will kickstart my heart a little bit.

• zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Is that a Motley Crue reference, who I used to call the worst band in history?
      Now that I think of it, I still think they’re the worst band in history. πŸ™‚

• djloo27 said, on September 18, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Ever feel like this?

58. sandog said, on September 18, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Is this thing on? I’ll be here all night folks. The special tonight is Chicken Marsala and the soup of the day is French Onion. Be sure to tip your waitresses and check out the live band in the Dreamcatcher Lounge.

I’m gonna go take my first shower of weekend and come back and see if any of this crap I have thrown against the wall has generated a response.

• blade3colorado said, on September 18, 2016 at 9:25 pm

SE Asia is paying attention.

59. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 18, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Hey SD, if you happen to find video of Romo laughing, pass on the link. It seems to have disappeared, gee, wonder why….

60. blade3colorado said, on September 18, 2016 at 9:36 pm

• djloo27 said, on September 18, 2016 at 9:43 pm

• blade3colorado said, on September 19, 2016 at 12:17 am

SE Asia Flap contingent.

61. sandog said, on September 18, 2016 at 10:05 pm

I think they are searching for video of Romo.
    Cheers Blade! Seems like we were just kickin it on the Staten Island Ferry the other day discussing finding a good woman, and now you’re on another junket to Asia. (I think your search is going a little bett than mine by the way!) 😎
    Loo! I dug the Charles B vid. My brother is a big fan of his and now I can see why. Though, I don’t think he would have dug my 9:03.
    Zum, you probably can’t stand all of those hair metal bands from the 80’s. I liked a lot of that stuff, but even I have to admit not much of the Crue catalog sounds that great to me anymore. But if you said to me I had to listen to 2 hours of Motley Crue or 2 hours of “the incredible” Bruce Springsteen , I’d take the Crue 8 days a week.

• djloo27 said, on September 18, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Yes, the NY Flapalooza is becoming a distant memory fast…

• sandog said, on September 18, 2016 at 10:22 pm

Don’t you forget about me DJ Loo! I will carpet bomb you with voicemails if you keep going on like that!

62. djloo27 said, on September 18, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Bochy said he plans to sit Panik and Span against the Dodger lefties in favor of Kelby and Gorky.
    I wonder if Gearrin earned a shot at closing today? Why not?

63. djloo27 said, on September 18, 2016 at 10:14 pm

There is nothing scary about the Cardinals, Mets or Dodgers.
    They all suck too…

• zumiee said, on September 18, 2016 at 10:49 pm

Yeah, if the Cubs blow it this year, they truly are hopeless.

64. snarkk said, on September 18, 2016 at 11:35 pm

Dawg, no I don’t go by snarkk when I talk with Lurie.
    I’ve met him personally so I go by another name. And, yes, he mentions BeerCan all the time. Anybody listening can now figure out that she is not just the gal sitting at the table taking notes when Marty is on the air. I second your motion that Habit Burger is really good. Better tasting and better value than Five Guys. They also have a bunless option, aka lettuce wrap protein burger…

65. snarkk said, on September 18, 2016 at 11:40 pm

If blade is getting an apartment in Saigon, maybe we should plan a Flapalooza over there…

66. snarkk said, on September 18, 2016 at 11:52 pm

I think we all just need to come to terms with the fact that the Giants are a flawed team…

• djloo27 said, on September 19, 2016 at 4:48 am

On paper, I think they bury the 2014 team…