Getting It Done

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 23, 2016

Well, we did it. We were all out to do it but we ultimately ended up beating the 2016 PCL champs, the El Paso Chihuahua’s who were, coincidentally, wearing San Diego Padre uniforms last night. But who cares? A win is a win. Always looking for a proper measuring stick, I think it’s safe to say that we would have been good enough to take down the PCL this year if not for the biased rule against us being allowed to play for that certificate. I blame this on the ghost of Bud Selig….

Big Al Suarez is going tonight and me-thinks this won’t be his first rodeo with most of these fellers.

1. Lurker John said, on September 23, 2016 at 8:12 am

I’m not motivated one iota for this series with the Friars. It’s do or die time as far as I’m concerned. The Giants need to put together some kind of winning streak if only to inspire some hope among their fan base. I’m more hopeful that the Niners will beat the Seahawks than I am of that happening.

WTF happened to this season? Frankly, I’m not so sure the Giants could beat a good PCL team right now.

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2016 at 8:15 am

Niners? Seahawks?? Are those PCL teams??? 😉

2. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2016 at 8:14 am

Yep, A win is a win…Just get in…ANYTHING could happen.

LMAO…good thread, Flav. And when I heard them talking about the “Chihuahuas” I had to check out their team store (we have a Chihuahua mix – great dog, that Gail runs in agility…he is cool as hell, and faster than a speeding bullet). Anyway, I will be buying a Chihuahua lid to rock as my support for our “Chi-Hooa-Hooa,” Fry!

Another tortuous game last night. Thank goodness the season is damned near over…not sure how much more I can take. But WTF, T it up tonight and see what happens!

3. willedav said, on September 23, 2016 at 8:17 am

Loo, this from Schulman in today’s SF Chron:
    “The Giants staff continues to discuss options to start Sunday’s series finale against the Padres.
    One of them remains Johnny Cueto, whose injured left groin has improved enough to keep him in the picture.”

Other options listed—Peavy Cain and Blach.

12 Ws for Smardz.

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2016 at 8:24 am

If Cueto is no bueno, I vote for Blach. Does anyone here really have any confidence in either Cain or Peavy getting it done???

• gianthead said, on September 23, 2016 at 2:43 pm

My answer is no but I also do not with strong underscore think they should push Cueto. We go nowhere in the playoffs without him being 100%. Have him miss one more turn in the rotation and go Blach with Cain as a one-two inning back up…

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2016 at 8:29 am

Thanks Willie. With an off day on Monday, it might make sense to hold Cueto back till Tuesday. Either way, he can only get 2 more starts and the Giants are in no position to try and line up a postseason rotation. Would like to see Blach get the start, but knowing Bochy it’ll be Cain…

4. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2016 at 8:24 am

I think Loo has nailed it (over the past month or so) about Romo being the best choice to close. Get ‘er done!

5. sandog said, on September 23, 2016 at 8:44 am

Haad a great time at the game. Romo as the closer? I’m down with that. Great to see him get it done and show some fire out on the mound. Still plenty of Giants fans in attendance. Funny that Zum posted about Myers foul ball deep into the top deck. We were trippin’ on that as well. I don’t think that fan was thinking a foul ball was a possibility when he settled into those seats.
    Seeing them live did invigorate me a bit. If Romo can get a hot hand I think that will be huge.
    I will be back for tomorrow’s game.

• zumiee said, on September 23, 2016 at 9:14 am

Fortunately, Smardj didn’t allow that mammoth foul ball to unnerve him. He came back and threw one of the best breaking pitches he’s thrown all season, with lots of movement, low and outside on the paint, and struck out Myers in a pivotal moment in the game.

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2016 at 9:22 am

I agree, Zume…it seems like Myers fouled-off a hundred pitches in that AB. I told Gail when he K’d Myers that that pitch had perfect location…no way Myers was squaring that bad boy up! This thing is far from over.

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2016 at 9:18 am

Way to bring home a W, SanDiggity! I was telling Gail last night that we really need to get down there for a game next year. Maybe we can plan a Flapalooza in SD…

• zumiee said, on September 23, 2016 at 9:20 am

Yeah, nice to see the Flapper winning percentage go up a few notches lately! 🙂

6. zumiee said, on September 23, 2016 at 9:19 am

Single A news: two teams in the Calif. League are folding- Bakersfield and High Desert. The Rockies are ending their affiliation with Modesto, and Modesto was able to sign a deal with the Mariners. With Bakersfield folding, Modesto becomes the longest-running franchise in the Cal League, at about 70 years. Their big league affiliations over the years have gone from the Reds to Cardinals to A’s to Rockies to Mariners!

7. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2016 at 9:37 am

Truly just get in. I know many (Flav, etc.) who feel that even if our boys get in, they don’t have the bullets to match-up in a series with the cubbies, etc.

I still disagree. Get in, and I think anything, regardless of how improbable, can happen. Just like 2012 when we went down 2-0 (at home) to the Reds, and then swept them three in their yard to win the division series (and it was the first time they had lost three in a row at home all year). Stranger things have happened…why not this year…

(The eternal optimist polly in me resurfaces.)

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 23, 2016 at 9:55 am

Scoring Panik from second with no outs in the 8th was like passing a watermelon. Tomlinson came through again with the single to move him over and then the slide at second. Nunez is so fast he probably would have been safe anyway but Tomlinson is now at .314/.426/.353 over 30 games. Dude should play more.

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2016 at 10:19 am

Tomlinson should get a majority of the starts where he or 000 is being considered.

9. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2016 at 10:01 am

Right, Chuck. Like I’ve been saying, just get in. Mainly because

a) the Sharks lost game 7;
    b) the Warriors lost game 7;
    c) The Niners are possibly a disaster in waiting;
    d) I don;t want to have the Giants labeled as the biggest collapsers in MLB history.

If they win a few games in the playoffs? Gravy. Thing is tho this pitching staff at least with the starters is nails. I think Smarge gets bumped up a spot should we get in. Moore is less in these pressure games.

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2016 at 10:20 am

Agree brother. JUST. GET. IN.

10. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2016 at 10:03 am

Yeah, Micah, it took 2 months before Bochy noticed that Span should be out of the LO spot. I said from day 1 that Nooner should be LO. Tomlinson should have been in over 000 from the day Specs came off the DL.

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2016 at 10:30 am

The only plausible reason 000 plays ahead of Soecs is glove. And I don’t see 000’s glove as being something special at all. Tomlinson is so much better at ABs, it isn’t close. Panik can’t hit, I’d put Specs in for him against LHPs…

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2016 at 11:38 am

Panik, even with his recent struggles, gets a long rope from me. I think he is by far the better glove between him, Specs, and 000. And he has hit before…and I think he will get there again (hopefully sooner rather than later).

• unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2016 at 10:54 am

The defensive difference is negligible.

11. zumiee said, on September 23, 2016 at 11:55 am

Great point, guys. OOO’s D is by no means special. If he’s better than Specs on D, it’s by a small margin. And Specs gives way better ABs, especially in clutch situations. Miller couldn’t believe OOO taking that called third strike in the second inning with runners on first and second with one out. That killed the inning. The Padre pitcher could pitch around the next batter to load the bases for Smardj with two outs.
    OOO hit an HR the other night, but it was after the Dodgers already had a really big lead. It was a non-pressure situation. And we’ve seen time after time how OOO gets over-matched by quality relief pitchers late in a game.

• zumiee said, on September 23, 2016 at 11:59 am

If Bochy doesn’t want to go Specs at shortstop, then how about Nunez at short, and Gillaspie at third? Gillaspie is no great shakes, but I would take that over OOO starting. Then definitely and regularly platoon Specs with Panik.

12. alleykat69 said, on September 23, 2016 at 11:59 am

Yeah Chi I noticed you mentioned about your chihuahua mix dog.
    I have a Chug..Which is part pug part chihuahua who’s a real spitfire. 16 lbs of TNT. He looks like the dog in men in black except with an orange face and not always the cigar in his mouth!🐾🐾

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Cool…I have seen a few of those mixes, Kat. I found a women’s jersey on the El Paso Chihuahuas site that has a big Chihuahua dog face on the front…going to get one for Gail to where when she is running Fry at agility events.

13. Lurker John said, on September 23, 2016 at 1:02 pm

“I think Loo has nailed it (over the past month or so) about Romo being the best choice to close. Get ‘er done.”

I’m just wondering what took so long to reach that conclusion. It’s not like he doesn’t have any experience as closer.

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2016 at 1:26 pm

Yes, it wasn’t especially brilliant…

• Lurker John said, on September 23, 2016 at 3:28 pm

It was in 2012, especially in the playoffs. Miguel Cabrera will happily attest to that. And stacked up against the likes of Santiago Casilla, just about anyone would be brilliant.

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Yep…I was ready to see him close some time ago…anyone but Casilla later, and some of the other suspects proved they are not up to the task. Romo was THE MAN in 2012…fuck, let him be THE MAN, again!

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 23, 2016 at 3:11 pm

I agree about Romo, though, correct me if I’m wrong, he had his spell too, giving up some bombs in this post-ASG stretch. But Romo has done it and can do it. Cf. Game 4, 2012 WS.

14. Macdog said, on September 23, 2016 at 2:18 pm

Cards lose to Cubs.

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Huge!

15. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2016 at 2:32 pm

My three favorite teams…the Giants and whoever is playing the Mets and Cards…

16. pawliekokonuts said, on September 23, 2016 at 3:09 pm

I hope our pitcher is Albert the Great tonight, Albertus Magnus.

17. pawliekokonuts said, on September 23, 2016 at 3:20 pm

I saw a little of the Cubs today as background TV while at the Varsity at SU. Man, they are LOOSE.

• unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2016 at 3:29 pm

A 30 game lead will do that.

We’ll see how they advance through the playoffs. The Dogs have been perennial faves for 6 years now and can’t get out of their own way once the playoffs start.

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 23, 2016 at 3:33 pm

I agree. It COULD work against them, as it did for Texas and Detroit in WS. Torture does have its virtues, eh?

18. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Suarez pitched in at Colo game and pitched well enough to win.

He is much better than Peavy and Cain by far.

19. pawliekokonuts said, on September 23, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Is Ben-Hur on the active roster?

20. Macdog said, on September 23, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Suarez likely will give up his usual 3 runs in 5 innings, although maybe less if the Pads roll out another Triple-A lineup. The question is can the Giants match the scoring.

21. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 23, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Bochy keeping it real to the end. Gotta keep grindin’

Denard Span (L)
    Angel Pagan (S)
    Buster Posey (R)
    Hunter Pence (R)
    Brandon Belt (L)
    Eduardo Nunez (R)
    Joe Panik (L)
    Ehire Adrianza (S)
    Big Al

22. zumiee said, on September 23, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Weird start time tonight. 7:40 Pacific Time. MLB is not being friendly to the East coasters on that.

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2016 at 5:16 pm

Fuckin’ west coast bias…

23. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2016 at 5:16 pm

The Mets rotation is so completely decimated that it would really be an embarrassment to lose out to them.
    Most nights they trot out someone I doubt you ever heard of.
    They’re down 3-1 in the 3rd…

• Flavor said, on September 23, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Agreed. Between their SP being in tatters and St Louis being generally pretty bad at baseball, it is going to be a monumental embarrassment the day we get eliminated from the wild card.

• Macdog said, on September 23, 2016 at 6:13 pm

And it’s finally starting to affect their relievers, who are just about on fumes.

• Macdog said, on September 23, 2016 at 6:19 pm

It doesn’t hurt the Mets playing the Keystone State Kops.

• willedav said, on September 23, 2016 at 7:24 pm

lulz

24. willedav said, on September 23, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Late start I’m watching Amy. Poor Flan, my god she is awful. Pls STFU.

• willedav said, on September 23, 2016 at 7:25 pm

whoever hands her a microphone should be forced to listen to celine dion on iTunes for life.

25. willedav said, on September 23, 2016 at 7:29 pm

SanDawg must have got to pick the unis.
    Where is Nate the Great Colbert?

• sandog said, on September 23, 2016 at 8:31 pm

I do love these Padre uni’s! If I were in charge, they would wear these every day.

26. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 23, 2016 at 7:42 pm

I always liked these Padres colors.

27. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Goodnight

28. Flavor said, on September 23, 2016 at 7:55 pm

ball game!

29. zumiee said, on September 23, 2016 at 8:19 pm

30. zumiee said, on September 23, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Lead-off doubles that don’t score. Seen that a few times this last couple of months.

31. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 23, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Span the rally killer.

32. zumiee said, on September 23, 2016 at 9:36 pm

That awesome bullpen doing its thing.

33. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2016 at 9:43 pm

This team and this season is draining the life out of me…

34. gianthead said, on September 23, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Watching the second season of Narcos is turning into a much more productive evening than the mess in SD…

35. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 23, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Yeah, Loo. I was thinking the same thing. I have never seen a team make a “pennant race” so joyless.

36. snarkk said, on September 23, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Just checkin’ in. Not listening tonight. 7-2, whatever.
    Who TF is Reynolds? I don’t even know the guy.
    This is one of the few Giants teams over the years that is really pissing me off…

37. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 23, 2016 at 10:16 pm

This is scoreboard watching time. And I have absolutely no interest in knowing. Weird.

38. snarkk said, on September 23, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Edwin Jackson is a joke starting pitcher.
    Throttled the Giants.
    Lots of post game questioning of Bochy bringing in Reynolds, who has NO resume of success.
    I think the dude has just lost it…

39. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2016 at 11:11 pm

Bochy is signed through 2019. Cotts doesn’t say how much.
    He might just be burnt out. He’s been doing this forever and he ain’t a kid anymore…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 23, 2016 at 11:35 pm

Agree that that’s possible. I used the term a few days ago that Bochy has possibly just “hit a wall”, burned out, same thing. If this season has up til now been rather joyless for us fans, I’m guessing also for him. Not sure why he would even want to return next year.

40. zumiee said, on September 24, 2016 at 12:30 am

Reynolds, exit stage left.

• zumiee said, on September 24, 2016 at 12:41 am

It’s sadly hilarious that Cain and Peavy are too worthless to use in that situation.