Enough of Schwarber

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 28, 2016

Doesn’t it seem like an unusual amount of press is going to this Schwarber dude? I get it, he’s a good hitter. But the Cubs have the most stacked line up in baseball. The media is acting like the Cubs have no chance if Cornfield Schwarber isn’t playing. Uh, they did manage to get here without him just fine. Just sayin’.

____________

I completely forgot that Stix offered to gift me one of his wooden sculptures after we won the 2010 series. He is apparently quite an accomplished wood uh… sculpturist? Sadly, he flaked on it and never finished it or sent it or whatever. Stony days turn into stony nights and it’s easy to hit that repeat button every day.

Anyway, here is today’s #FreeStix! RPOTD:

stixwiz said, on January 8, 2011 at 8:25 pm (Edit)

Depth of winter here in the Northwoods. Sposta drop to thirty below zero overnight. Burning extra oak before i hit the sack. Cookstove been going all day with a slow-cooking stew on its second day and some homemade clam chowder simmering away. Finally got to carving on my ‘One Flap Down’ piece for the first time in months. Hoping the chowder has a sufficiently large flavor to match the recipient of the piece. Maybe it will get finished and shipped before that 30-odd day calendar on the Flap runs outta numbers.

1. zumiee said, on October 28, 2016 at 6:58 am

I totally agree; I’m already way tired of the Schwarber hype. It’s killing any interest I had in the World Series this year.

2. willedav said, on October 28, 2016 at 7:08 am

Snarkk, M Dung was hilarious. Breakfast with Elvis, “Awayyy”, movie reviews, yada yada For a while they had a weekend show with him too, an hour special on Sunday nights I think. KFOG had Dave Morey and Scoop Nisker around too in AM weekdays.

• snarkk said, on October 28, 2016 at 10:48 am

No way the Dungman would be on corporate radio nowadays. What is it, about 99% of US radio stations are owned by 4 corporations or some such? Has to be something like that. Link to Dung here — says he had a heart attack last year, is recovering…

3. willedav said, on October 28, 2016 at 7:14 am

The fact that Cubs won a million games but Roberts got Mgr award owns up to fact as Flav said Cubs had a very stacked team with way more talent than everyone else, LU, SPs, pen. Even tho one of their big acquisitions Heyward sucked it didn’t hurt them.

Not that Maddon is as dumb as Charlie Manuel, but it’s the same thing—OK where do I bat all the AS players today is all he had to figure out. Arrieta wasn’t even his best starter and then they go get Chapman.

4. chipower9 said, on October 28, 2016 at 7:17 am

Yes…I swapped some emails with Stix about his wood carvings. He sent me pictures of some of them years ago. Pretty cool stuff.

I agree…just get over it re: Schwarber. Fuck, that tells you how little there is for the talking heads to discuss. Giddy up, and just play the fucking games.

My friend Mike reminded me via text this morning that it was four years ago today that our boys swept the Tiggers for their SECOND of THREE World Series titles (second of three…damn, I like the sound of that). And while I would love to see them tack-on another, when all I ever really wanted was ONE…well, they could stop at three for the remainder of my daze, and life would continue to be good.

Make it an awesome day and weekend, FU. GO CUBS!

5. sandog said, on October 28, 2016 at 7:51 am

I haven’t watched either game, don’t watch SportsCenter, and don’t listen to sports talk radio…….so I I have missed out on the Schwarber media frenzy. I do think it is pretty impressive that he literally got hurt on day 1 of the season, didn’t come back until the World Series, and immediately started raking, but it sounds like the media is going a little crazy with it. Lord knows, I hate a media frenzy—that’s why I love rooting against guys like Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, and Andrew Luck… who get or got never ending megalove from the media 24/7.

• Flavor said, on October 28, 2016 at 7:54 am

I see your point about the media hype but from the standpoint of role models and how you want sports figures to act in front of young people, you couldn’t do much better than Andrew Luck.

6. Flavor said, on October 28, 2016 at 7:52 am

this is so 70’s. I’m sure this didn’t cause any depth perception issues for the shooters in that game. lulz.

7. willedav said, on October 28, 2016 at 8:19 am

One of funniest things I’ve read in a while is by Chron (yes I still get it delivered daily) columnist Otis R Taylor Jr., entitled “Who Needs City Services? Build a Stadium”.

“Think about it. We’re already saddled with $95 million for erecting Mt. Davis…what’s another $750 million?
    For starters, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf needs to stop putting taxpayer interests ahead of the well being of Raider Nation.”

• chipower9 said, on October 28, 2016 at 10:38 am

Uh, I think the fine folks of Oakland may be looking for their hoes and pitchforks… lulz

• xoot said, on October 28, 2016 at 12:15 pm

That piece by Taylor made no sense. Schaaf is much more interested in keeping the a’s than the Raiders and mlb and Oakland expect the a’s to finance a new park–either at Howard Terminal (nice spot, but with enviro and access challenges), or on Laney College land near the Lake, or on the current E Coli location. The City would probably help finance infrastructure (new sewer connections at the E Coli location, for example 😉 ).

mlb and the union are supposed to be wrapping up the new CBA by the end of the WS. The old one expires 12/1. It’ll be interesting to see if the new CBA contains a provision that allows the a’s to receive revenue sharing despite being in the middle of one of the “major markets.” The expiring CBA says they remain a revenue sharing recipient until they have a new ballpark (anywhere). Then they switch to RS payor. mlb surely has been using that exception as leverage on Wolff/Fisher at the CBA bargaining table.

8. unca_chuck said, on October 28, 2016 at 8:59 am

Can’t find the sound bite, but my wife was watching something on Fox and they apparenlty said something to the effect of, “Thank God there are no West Coast teams in the World Series this year. This is the way baseball is supposed to be played.”

She was furious. I said yeah, that sounds about right.

• blade3colorado said, on October 28, 2016 at 9:19 am

That’s beyond the pale. If that actually occurred, that MOFO (or MOFOs) should be fired. Even those TV executive imbeciles running the show, know they just offended the entire West coast.

• zumiee said, on October 28, 2016 at 9:22 am

Totally agree.

• zumiee said, on October 28, 2016 at 9:23 am

Or at least they should apologize.

• djloo27 said, on October 28, 2016 at 10:53 am

Don’t they pray for Yankees-Dodgers every year?

• zumiee said, on October 28, 2016 at 9:21 am

I guess they’re referring to the batters having a hard time hitting in West Coast twilight, early time-zone; but that’s bogus reasoning. The first two games of the World Series this year were shut-outs. No twilight excuse.

• chipower9 said, on October 28, 2016 at 10:40 am

Fuck those assholes. Where’s my hoe and pitchfork? Or my 30-30?!

9. blade3colorado said, on October 28, 2016 at 9:15 am

Reminds me of what they ended up doing to the Alamodome when the Spurs played there. This was a domed 65,000-seat, multi-purpose facility used as a football, basketball, baseball stadium and convention center. It is located on the southeastern fringe of Downtown San Antonio, near the “river walk.” I remember giving a presentation at an OSH conference at the Marriot hotel nearby and having almost a week of free time, including going to a couple of games, while in town. Ugly ass facility, which cost approx. $186 million. Very cheap by today’s standards.

Per Wiki, the multi-purpose facility was intended to increase the city’s convention traffic and attract a professional football franchise. It also placated the San Antonio Spurs’ demands for a larger arena. The Spurs played in the Alamodome for a decade, then became disenchanted with the facility and convinced the county to construct a new arena for them, now called the AT&T Center. At the time I was there, I had no idea why they were using something that looked like it was built for a football team . . . and San Antonio I am almost 100% certain, had no football team (pro or otherwise) at the time.

Anyway, during the 2 games I saw at the former facility, they had this gigantic curtain which was “closed” across half the facility when basketball games were played there. Quite ugly.

10. Bozo said, on October 28, 2016 at 9:17 am

Thirty below zero with just a wood stove, man… #FreeStixintheSpring!

11. djloo27 said, on October 28, 2016 at 10:49 am

I wonder if the famous UCLA-Houston “game of the century” (Alcindor-Hayes) held at the brand new Astrodome (a.k.a the 8th wonder of the world) was the first time they tried that set-up (January 1968)…

• snarkk said, on October 28, 2016 at 11:03 am

Watched this long enough to see Shackleford nail a baseline J. That guy never missed a baseline J, that was his shot. Lucius Allen, Mike Warren, Alcindor, Shack — that’s some history there…

12. alleykat69 said, on October 28, 2016 at 11:52 am

Tolbert was saying yesterday the bars around Wrigley are charging $250 just to get in to watch the game!!
    Fuck that shit that would never go down at “The Orchid Room!”

• snarkk said, on October 28, 2016 at 12:13 pm

70+ years of waiting means the prices go up…

13. snarkk said, on October 28, 2016 at 12:22 pm

I don’t mind the Schwarber thing. I’m not paying much attention to this Series, I haven’t seen one minute of it, or highlights. That personal deal of his is a fun story I’ve read in snippets, adds a bit of sauce to the Series. Maybe if I were watching, it would be tedious. Since the Bochy / Moore debacle and Giants flamed out, I’ve admittedly got little interest for this Series…

• zumiee said, on October 28, 2016 at 3:21 pm

The national media over-hype has been ridiculous the last 48 hours. Schwarber is a young guy, with a face like a slab of meat, who seems a little bewildered by all the attention, and they’re acting like he’s Ted Williams and Babe Ruth combined. He can’t even play defense in this series, and now turns into a pinch-hitter for three games. If he hits a pinch-hit homerun, I’m throwing my TV set out of the window.
      I guess all of this is just a foretaste of what’s going to happen with the national media if the Cubs win this series. It’s going to be so over-the-top, most of the nation will be hating the Cubs and most of their fans within a few days.

• James said, on October 28, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Why not just hate them now? The schadenfreude will be exquisite and unparalleled, if they don’t win.

14. unca_chuck said, on October 28, 2016 at 4:54 pm

I guess not paying attention helps . . . Seen a little but not too mcuh

15. James said, on October 28, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Wow, with all the close calls that could have and probably should have been overturned, this one gets thumbs up in less than a minute?

16. willedav said, on October 28, 2016 at 5:26 pm

I thought the Taylor guy was just being satirical, noting all the things that get budget money that don’t need it and could be put towards Raiders instead…”$11 million for libraries. Nobody reads that many books …there are too many parks and we don’t need any more bike lanes.”

Reminded me of best of Art Hoppe, decrying the Domino Theory of losing Nam with a column on “The Crucial Trucial States” of Oman. Or the “43rd year of our lightning war.”

• xoot said, on October 28, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Taylor’s an odd recent addition to the chron. He came from the East Coast. He’s a good writer, a bit flashy, but in an entertaining way. He doesn’t know a thing about Oakland or the Bay Area, however, except what he’s been able to pick up in the past few months. He certainly doesn’t understand the long strange relationship between Oakland and the Raiders. So he ain’t no hip-hop Art Hoppe, at least not yet. I can remember a bunch of Hoppe’s columns. Apropos dem boots–the Raiders are a very watchable team so far this season, aren’t they?

• willedav said, on October 28, 2016 at 6:36 pm

fair enough. Pleasantly surprised he went after the ridiculous but powerful Desley Brooks on her rules for pot club licenses. That’s one of those look out moves that Chip Johnson used to do.
        Loved Art Hoppe…LandLord and Gabriel, Reagan as Sir Ronald of Holyrood, Nobody for Prez…

• xoot said, on October 28, 2016 at 6:37 pm

oh, btw, the chron specifically assigned Taylor to cover Oakland

• xoot said, on October 28, 2016 at 6:40 pm

did Taylor replace Chip J? I don’t know. Brooks is a piece of work. If anyone can manage Brooks it may be Schaff. Schaff worked for Jerry Brown when he was mayor here and he and his wife pretty much tapped her to take over after the debacles of Dellums and Quan. Now once the Uber home office opens in Uptown, everything will be fine . . . .

• willedav said, on October 28, 2016 at 6:53 pm

xoot Chip J retired mm few weeks ago maybe. Saw the farewell/moving on column.

• xoot said, on October 28, 2016 at 7:30 pm

hmmm indeed. Looks like laying off a clean cut middle aged old guy for a dread locked young guy to me. But maybe the south breeze has carried some of that Oaksterdam ambience into my neighborhood.

17. djloo27 said, on October 28, 2016 at 5:41 pm

I’m pretty sure there are exactly zero Cub fans alive waiting 108 years for them to win a title.
    I waited 47 years for the Giants, not the 56 that it took.
    For the NY Rangers I waited 30, not the 54 that it took.
    Fuck the Cubs and their phony fuckin’ fans…

18. djloo27 said, on October 28, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Just to be fair, today’s breed of SF based Giant fans suck too with their fake sellouts and $20 playoff tickets on Stub Hub…

19. Flavor said, on October 28, 2016 at 6:01 pm

“with a face like a slab of meat…” What a perfect way to describe that guy.

20. willedav said, on October 28, 2016 at 6:41 pm

I’m not watching baseball, but did Cubs just get lucky with Dexter Fowler having a .390 OB and whacking double digit HRs? Is it park factor, the Dee Gordon factor, or is he finally coming into his own? He was here in bay area I remember seeing a pic of him at Warriors game or practice before Cubs finally locked him up after other deal fell through with O’s.
    And he will be FA this off season too…

• djloo27 said, on October 28, 2016 at 7:00 pm

We’re married to Span for 2 more years…

21. willedav said, on October 28, 2016 at 6:56 pm

That first UCLA-Houston matchup was the one Alcindor was injured and not at full strength, and Cougs won a close one, big shocker at the time.
    However, second time around in NCAAs UCLA blew them out with the big guy healthy.

22. zumiee said, on October 28, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Driving home, there were no radio stations on my dial with the World Series. That’s sad.

• sandog said, on October 28, 2016 at 8:14 pm

I experienced the same thing IN SAN DIEGO during one of the previous post season series. I couldn’t believe it.

23. djloo27 said, on October 28, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Bill Murray sucks too…

24. djloo27 said, on October 28, 2016 at 7:55 pm

They should kick Soler and his dumb lazy ass off the team for that display.
    Are these people just fuckin’ stupid?

25. xoot said, on October 28, 2016 at 8:09 pm

I’m so very pleased to see Coco Crisp get some playing time in this PS. He was the longest tenured a’s player, at about 6 years I think. (Now who is it? Sonny Gray, heading into his first arb year? What a bunch of effing assholes the a’s owners are.) Coco has the worst throwing arm in baseball, but otherwise he’s still good. And he deserved to get the hell out of the a’s hellhole. Addison Russell, the Cubs’ SS, was an a’s prospect, ranked 2 or 3 in all of baseball or something like that. The a’s traded him to the Cubs in 2014 to get Hammel and Samardzija for two months. I’ll bet Coco and Addison exchanged some knowing looks as they crossed paths this week.

• willedav said, on October 28, 2016 at 9:54 pm

The A’s were in the process of stiffing Covelli out of a vested option too by not playing him. Wonder if it was Melvin who convinced them to do the right thing and make him available to Indians.

Guy had health issues (neck I believe) but played hard over there.

26. James said, on October 28, 2016 at 8:43 pm

I just love seeing hackers fail. Nice that Heyward wasn’t the final out.

27. zumiee said, on October 28, 2016 at 8:44 pm

The mighty Schwarber popped out.
    (sad trombone)

• James said, on October 28, 2016 at 8:45 pm

That was sweet, too.

28. eddacker said, on October 28, 2016 at 10:59 pm

On Sept. 21 a police air raid using ‘military-type’ helicopters halted the criminal enterprise of Margaret Holcomb, 81, of Amherst, MA. The drug warriors then seized the one and only marijuana plant in her yard. Supposedly a rake was found near by. #FreeStix!

• unca_chuck said, on October 29, 2016 at 8:52 am

This is what I’m talking about. Wait til Trump gets elected and the war on everything increases.

29. eddacker said, on October 28, 2016 at 11:03 pm

I remember looking at the 2016 stats for Fowler vs Span and we did not do too bad after failing to land Fowler. Saved some money, too. Back me up, James.

30. alleykat69 said, on October 28, 2016 at 11:43 pm

Doesn’t matter what any Flapper thinks the Indians take this W/S cause they can’t do know wrong, and Francona is schooling Maddon and his Cubs in overall matchups and superior pitching will prevail as the Indians win in 5 book it!!!