FanFest

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 11, 2017

I don’t go to this anymore because of the crowd size but I’m always interested in seeing who bails on it (besides Flavor). In the past, Angel Pagan has regularly snubbed it. Bumgarner doesn’t come to it either and he has less of an excuse.

But whatever, I don’t really care one way or the other since I’m not going to be there. The last time I went I marveled at the size of the lines to the players. I don’t do lines. I don’t understand the payoff when you consider the amount of time invested.

FanFest is very cool for one reason: it means it’s almost here.

Baseball is almost here.

1. sfsarge said, on February 11, 2017 at 7:18 am

We went a couple of years ago and it was so crowded it was frustrating just moving around the place, let alone actually doing anything that was at the front of those monstrous lines. I can’t see myself going back any time soon. But, yes it’s so close!

2. blade3colorado said, on February 11, 2017 at 7:24 am

Xoot, snarkk, or anyone else who has kids going to college, check out Packback, which rents out books for a day or more at a small percentage of the cost of buying new or used textbooks. Very big with millennials. Also featured on Shark Tank.

Regarding Fan Fest, I despise lines/waiting and only do it if I have no choice, e.g., Louvre Museum, Versailles, Sophia Hagia, etc. Fan Fest? No way. In fact, I hate autographs.

• snarkk said, on February 11, 2017 at 12:22 pm

Thanks blade…

• gianthead said, on February 11, 2017 at 6:19 pm

Hagia Sophia Blade, but who is counting. Pronounced in Turkish as Aya-Sophia…

• blade3colorado said, on February 11, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Man, I typed that out and it looked weird and I thought it might be my spelling – not transposing the words, but I had no “red underline” for spelling so I let it pass . . . Also, it has been 4 years now since my visit. Nice catch.

3. zumiee said, on February 11, 2017 at 7:50 am

If I lived in the Bay Area, I’d maybe go to Fan Fest at least once.

4. zumiee said, on February 11, 2017 at 8:43 am

Terrific finish to the Sac Kings game last night vs. the Hawks. The Kings sleepwalked through the first three quarters of the game, and then put on a furious fourth quarter rally to come back from 20 points down, to win by 1 point, with a Hawks guard driving down the lane at the end of the game, a scrum in the key, the shot went crooked, and no foul call.

• willedav said, on February 11, 2017 at 9:09 am

Mm, what about them winning vs. celts the other night without Cousins? what I heard was a player talking about them just playing and not worrying about the refs. Hmmnn.
      Cousins a funny line last night with 9 turnovers 6-17 from floor including 2-8 from 3. This on a night when Kings other players were lighting it up from 3 and team was 18-36 from 3. Just can’t dig this guy’s game.
      8 spot is gonna be tough one no matter who eventually gets in.

• zumiee said, on February 11, 2017 at 10:15 am

Last night’s comeback started with him on the bench. He was trying to force his way through double-teams on the low block, and kept getting the ball stripped from him. He needed to pass off and trust his teammates more.

5. unca_chuck said, on February 11, 2017 at 8:58 am

Took the kids in 2009 and 2010. Before the WS wins. It was a mess then. I’m ure the crowds have tripled. We walked right in but the lines were huge. But it was cool to see Timmy being interviewed by Kuiper. The lines were long for autographs and more often than not, they would move the people around so the guys you were waiting for would move somewhere else. I’m sure it’s different now.

The best part was playing catch on the field with my son.

6. Flavor said, on February 11, 2017 at 9:13 am

Listening to Marty Lurie this morning (not gonna lie, it was refreshing) interview Raggs. He asked him about the WBC and Raggs didn’t hide his disdain. “Most of our guys have either gotten hurt or setback”. Lol, not pulling any punches, Raggs.

• snarkk said, on February 11, 2017 at 11:18 am

He’s usually a good interview. Honest. I think the WBC is a joke. Nothing good can come of participating in it. Do any fans of major league teams give a S about it, other than worrying about their guys getting hurt or somehow F’d up for the season? Very few is my guess. How is Buster going to get to really know the pitches and tendencies of the new and newer guys in the Pen if he’s off in this WBC thing? I think his would be a valued opinion to Raggs and Bochy regarding who’s getting it done on the mound in ST, or who needs to work on what…

• gianthead said, on February 11, 2017 at 6:22 pm

Snarkk, it is not a big deal for American fans, but this is huge for Mexicans, Dominicans, Venezuelans, etc…

7. unca_chuck said, on February 11, 2017 at 9:25 am

Bonds is being courted to return to the team as a roving instructor, and maybe more.

• Flavor said, on February 11, 2017 at 9:43 am

Barry basically got bored last year and they finally had to cut their losses and shitcan his ass. Maybe it would be different in SF. But I would want him to really want to coach not just come hang out around the guys. What good does that do the team? Teach them what you know about hitting or I’m not interested.

8. alleykat69 said, on February 11, 2017 at 9:33 am

Good for Rags to say that!!, and I am his corner all the way.Waste of time,Waste of a proper ST regiment the players slowly build up to.Arm strength,cardio,running, stretching, etc!
    Lots of players come back to their teams fatigued or hurt which I’m sure pisses off pitching coaches,managers,etc…

9. Flavor said, on February 11, 2017 at 9:42 am

• wilcojoe said, on February 11, 2017 at 10:11 am

Christ, , it seems like every year he ages by five. I was just reading up on his disease and it’s really a wonder he has continued to broadcast this long. I would suspect towards the end of the year, we will hear a retirement announcement.

I would suspect that Kuip will follow suit. I just don’t see him going on without Kruk. Say what you will about these two (and god knows they have gotten under my skin a time or two hundred)) but I wouldn’t trade them for anyone else in the business.

I am sure Baer will find a way to celebrate, i.e. market their farewell tour.

• snarkk said, on February 11, 2017 at 11:15 am

Looks like Moses heading for the ballpark…

10. snarkk said, on February 11, 2017 at 11:12 am

As I’ve said before, I took the snarkkettes once to FanFest when they were small, but mobile — grammar school age. Crazy lines, couldn’t walk anywhere without walking in a herd. They’d had it after about an hour, I got two out of them before they were about ready to explode – so we bailed. Probably worse conditions now, as that was pre-2010. Hey, if fans like it, that’s cool, knock yourself out. Not for me, I’m not standing for an hour listening to Buster being interviewed and saying nothing. I can be at home sipping coffee and hear that nonsense on the radio, like right now…

11. snarkk said, on February 11, 2017 at 11:51 am

Hundley just said he and Melancon have been big buddies since way back. Went to school together at Arizona, wives are good friends, etc. Adds to the reasoning of why Giants picked him up…

• Flavor said, on February 11, 2017 at 11:54 am

Is Radnich not the worst ever? They gotta take the mike away from him.

• zumiee said, on February 11, 2017 at 12:08 pm

I can’t stand his broadcasting work. I don’t even like aspects of his personality that come across in his broadcasting. His fascination with what kind of cars people drive, and his fascination with how many prostitutes celebrities have been with, for example. He comes across as a shallow schmuck. And he endlessly criticizes fans. He seems incredibly insecure. Not to be too harsh, but maybe it’s his face.

12. zumiee said, on February 11, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Regarding Kruk and Kuip, when Kruk retires, I could see Kuip and Miller changing places. Kuip’s first love is radio, IMO. There’s more energy from him on radio. He likes doing TV mainly because it’s been with Kruk. I don’t know if Miller would want to give up radio, though.

13. blade3colorado said, on February 11, 2017 at 1:16 pm

Snarkk, here is some more information about PackBack . . . If possible read the Shark Tank synopsis or better yet, catch this segment.

Ironically, I saw this segment on Shark Tank and said to myself, “Sheesh, I could have used these guys back when I went to college.” I must have been hosed for about a thousand dollars per year . . . and that was back in the stone ages. They’ve used analysis tools to determine that the typical college graduate spends upwards of $150 to $180 for a textbook. OMG! For example, all text books have gone up approximately 800% since Mark Cuban attended college. Robert (one of the Sharks) asks what is the average amount of time that a student downloads a book for? He also asked how much is the cost? According to Packback, they are using their books only on four main occasions – the revenue on an average student that participates in PackBack is $34 per semester and they only pay $5 a day.

Anyway, here is the link to the Shark Tank show and the update of this company’s status today. Flavor you might want to read this too insofar as Katie is concerned.

• xoot said, on February 11, 2017 at 6:54 pm

wish this had been around 6 years ago. great idea

14. snarkk said, on February 11, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Bochy and Evans now talking on KNBR…

15. blade3colorado said, on February 11, 2017 at 2:13 pm

Mike Ilitch, the owner of both the Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Tigers, passed away Friday at the age of 87.
    Ilitch was well-respected by players and fans alike. He was also the founder of Little Caesars Pizza. Ilitch was also known for his loyalty, richly rewarding his favorite players to the point that the money he was willing to spend alarmed other owners.

I hope the family keeps the team, he’s been good for baseball, and particularly the Detroit area. RIP Mike.

16. Flavor said, on February 11, 2017 at 4:20 pm

There is no lamer look for a dude than the *man bun*. Crawford has to get rid of that.

• djloo27 said, on February 11, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Are you down on No Dozing, Flav?

• Flavor said, on February 11, 2017 at 6:20 pm

I don’t know what that was today. Totally failed to show up. I’m waiting to hear if he’s hurt or sick or something. Either way, looks like I’m down to one bullet for the Derby.

• gianthead said, on February 11, 2017 at 6:30 pm

Here here…they deserve a Tiki Barber cut…

17. willedav said, on February 11, 2017 at 6:29 pm

F okla no class thunder fans. Screaming cupcake in Duant’s face while Warriors are kicking their ass by 18 in 2 nd Q.

• Flavor said, on February 11, 2017 at 6:40 pm

and not to mention the MILLIONS of dollars he’s poured into that community over the years. Classless losers.

18. alleykat69 said, on February 11, 2017 at 6:46 pm

So much for trying to intimidate Durant and the Dubs, Okc, the better team is wiping your asses which will be all night long!!!

19. Flavor said, on February 11, 2017 at 6:55 pm

not to mention the fact that cupcakes are fucking awesome. They should be yelling “broccoli” at him or something.

20. gianthead said, on February 11, 2017 at 7:23 pm

What is Westbrook talking smack about???? Down 20 and talking…let your game do the talking…

21. zumiee said, on February 11, 2017 at 7:25 pm

Westbrook and Cousins are great players, but their vibe is always about anger for some reason. I don’t get that.

• alleykat69 said, on February 11, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Cause both know that don’t have enough talented teammates to make a difference!
      I’d be unhappy as well…

• gianthead said, on February 11, 2017 at 7:31 pm

I like Cousins period. He would be awesome as a Warrior…

• djloo27 said, on February 11, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Maybe you’d like LeBron while you’re at it…

• xoot said, on February 11, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Cousins would’ve fit in real well at Memphis. He sort of represents the awkward part of the transition Calipari made moving to KY. No such thug would start in Lexington now. Cauley-Stein’s a good comparison, for obvious reasons. He’ll be a star and he won’t break any T records. Randle, who I was sad to see go to the Lakers, is really good too. Tough, talented, hard-working player–no thuggee involved. The Warriors, as presently managed and coached, would never consider Cousins.

• gianthead said, on February 11, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Not sure about that Xoot. There was a recent story thay Draymond got close to Cousins on the Olympic team. I think Warriors ownership, mgmt and coaching feel they can bring in players and have them fit the Dub culture. Look at the bad PR Javale McGhee had coming in and he had turned into a model citizen…

• gianthead said, on February 11, 2017 at 8:15 pm

But ain’t happening soon. Cousins is going to get the full max out deal next year and that is the $30 mill process tag. Now if KD bailed on us and Cousins wanted to actually consider
        Something in the $25 million range to be a winner…I would not be shocked. But it would only happen in the KD leaving scenario.

We might not be able to keep Klay if Curry and KD are both max out long-term contracts…

• xoot said, on February 11, 2017 at 8:53 pm

No, the warriors aren’t going to sign players because Draymond likes their bad ass ways. Draymond’s own excesses contributed a lot to the finals meltdown last season. That’s something the team’s working to control, not inflame.

Still, Cousins really is a great talent

22. gianthead said, on February 11, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Now I’m worried someone is going to take a real shot a KD gets hurt…I would get KD out of there for the 4th.

• gianthead said, on February 11, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Sorry…real cheap shot and KD gets hurt…

23. alleykat69 said, on February 11, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Huh you’ve got a Westbrook but I’ll raise you 2 Durants!!

24. zumiee said, on February 11, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Bill Walton is a trip. In a good way. He worked the Cal/Arizona game tonight.

• zumiee said, on February 11, 2017 at 9:13 pm

The play by play guy probably thought Walton was high.

• willedav said, on February 11, 2017 at 9:34 pm

Not sure how you could tell.
        He really is a trip tho, you’re right and pretty funny to listen to.
        I actually like the fact that he really believes way fewer fouls should be called and play should have a continuous flow. Game is just more fun to watch that way.

25. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 11, 2017 at 9:57 pm

I met Bill Walton a couple of times in the early ’80s back in my Beantown days. I played for years in a Cambridge city fast-pitch softball league, and at least twice Walton came riding by the ball fields near Harvard Square with his little kid perched in a small child seat on the back of his bicycle. He always stopped by the backstop to watch for a bit, and we chatted for a bit. Real down to earth nice guy.

26. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 11, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Interestingly enough, in that same Cambridge city league, there was a guy always playing 1st base on another team we played a lot, and he was one of the actors in “The Return of the Secaucus Seven”, small indie film out of Cambridge way back when. Another real nice guy. He was the guy who, with his wife, hosted the little reunion in that film. Turns out that film was mostly biographical for the guy (don’t remember his name), as he still lived in Cambridge and was always reminiscing about the old hippie days.

27. djloo27 said, on February 12, 2017 at 4:41 am

One of the many ways I alienate people is by telling them that they reminisce too much and that nothing was anywhere near as good as they like to remember it…