Dominance of the Cheap

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 13, 2017

Can you guess what these 3 numbers are?

$11,500,000

$12,000,000

$12,000,000

Hmmmmm….. there’s gotta be a better way to play this game.

Why don’t I just tell you?

That’s what MadBum makes across the next 3 (THREE!) seasons. Now it’s time to cue up all the outrage over why the Giants haven’t signed him to a new deal yet……

1. chipower9 said, on February 13, 2017 at 12:12 pm

Without knowing if he and his representative have asked for an adjustment, or extension, it is hard to comment. Yes, the Giants are getting one hell of a bonus right now. I have heard Bum say that he is good with the current contract, and that it provides him with more than what he needs.

With that said, being a hard-core fan, and wanting my team to do what it takes to remain competitive, etc., I would like to see them do an extension that maybe modifies these years, but if Bum and his reps are not asking for it, what is the motivation to do it (other than locking Bum up long-term)?

Also, we all know that the Giants are bumping-up against the luxury tax threshold, where they will pay a 50% tax on every dollar that exceeds the threshold. That is all discussed in this short piece, which is the latest I have seen on the Bum contract banter.

Per this, it looks like next year’s off-season may be the earliest where any extensions are discussed.

2. blade3colorado said, on February 13, 2017 at 12:37 pm

I have no problem with his annual pay for two reasons: 1. I never heard him complain about it; and more important, 2. His salary provides a bit of solace when I think about the moron(s) who signed Cain, Benitez, and Rowand to long term deals.

Unrelated to baseball, did anyone catch Elon Musk’s comments about humans must merge with machines or become irrelevant in the AI age? Musk explained what he meant by saying that computers can communicate at “a trillion bits per second”, while humans, whose main communication method is typing with their fingers via a mobile device, can do about 10 bits per second. lulz

He also said that the more immediate threat is how AI, particularly autonomous cars, which his own firm is developing, will displace jobs. He said the disruption to people whose job it is to drive will take place over the next 20 years, after which 12 to 15 percent of the global workforce will be unemployed. Amazing stuff.

• chipower9 said, on February 13, 2017 at 1:20 pm

I have his book, “Elon Musk: Tesla, Space-X, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future,” on my nightstand…next in the queue. I really admire the man…he has done some truly amazing things. Brilliant.

3. snarkk said, on February 13, 2017 at 12:44 pm

I’m not feeling sorry one bit for Bum. He was an adult, he had advice, he signed freely. He figured a bird in hand was worth 2 in the bush. He gets millions guaranteed versus going year to year and risk a career ending arm injury with the millions then out of reach. He says he’s good with it; so he doesn’t need the fans to rescue him from what now looks like a dumb deal…

4. unca_chuck said, on February 13, 2017 at 1:01 pm

Right. Bummie’s fine with it. The Giants are certainly fine with it,

No reason to visit this until they need to. If he was unhappy I’m sure someone in the front office would know by now. Bummie is truly the rarest of breeds that doesn’t measure his stature in the game by the size of his contract.

5. chipower9 said, on February 13, 2017 at 1:21 pm

I think the Giants want to extend the contract, and ensure that they keep him for a very long time, so maybe next off-season a new deal gets done, but there is certainly no urgency to it all at this point.

6. sfsarge said, on February 13, 2017 at 1:24 pm

It is a very team friendly deal, but on the other hand I have never heard of a player who gave money back to a team because he underperformed. It would be a warm and fuzzy story to have the Giants brass give Bum a raise, but he’s locked up and I donto see why they would be compelled to.

• djloo27 said, on February 13, 2017 at 7:47 pm

The late Lyman Bostock offered to around ’78. Not sure it actually happened…

• sfsarge said, on February 13, 2017 at 8:00 pm

But that’s my point. One guy 40 years ago

7. zumiee said, on February 13, 2017 at 1:28 pm

When Cain’s money comes off the books next year, that’s a great time to re-do Bum for about 30 million a year.

• chipower9 said, on February 13, 2017 at 2:12 pm

I want to see Bum get a reworked deal that extends him with the Giants, but 30 mil a year??? Not sure about that one…

8. zumiee said, on February 13, 2017 at 1:31 pm

Self-driving cars and trucks….what could possibly go wrong with that?….

• chipower9 said, on February 13, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Nothing, as long as you don’t drive for a living. 😉

• blade3colorado said, on February 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm

Guess what? The plane you were on that landed in low visibility due to fog (less than 600 meters Runway Visual Range), landed itself. The only limitations to “Autoland” are significant headwinds, tailwinds and/or crosswinds. Oh, one more limitation – it is important for pilots to keep their flying skills sharp and manually landing helps achieve this.

Me? I can’t wait until it is mandatory for all cars to be auto driven. It will keep the druggies, excessive drinkers and bad drivers from taking the steering wheel.

• chipower9 said, on February 13, 2017 at 2:55 pm

I am not so on-board as of yet…all the more reason I plan to have/ride a motorcycle until I die! 😉

• eddacker said, on February 13, 2017 at 11:15 pm

Actually, the place where it goes wrong is the transition phase when there are both human and AI drivers. AI will adapt with less performance, but humans will be the problem. Especially at intersections hehe. Over time humans will be reduced, AI will improve.

There will always be the worry of a ghost in the machine. It will always be a conflict until humans surrender to the machines and let them lead. So, 30 years hence, corporations will be so rich and so generous that there will be a minimum wage for workers and displaced. Humans will be second in many of the decision flows. And one of the final efficiency bugs will be eliminated: the pesky human factor.

Party on Garth.

9. wilcojoe said, on February 13, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Granted he hasn’t won 3 World Series, but Jose Altuve’s contract might make Bumgarner blush. Altuve will only make $4.5 million this year in a bargain contract that won’t end until 2019.

• Flavor said, on February 13, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Altuve was goddamn near the AL MVP last year so yeah, that’s a bargain

10. mrsprtdude said, on February 13, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Just got back from Vegas. Giants 11-1 to win WS. I bet $20, just like every year.
    Warriors 10-17. Yes you read it right. Ever seen a pro sports team at less than 1-1 to win a title??Unreal. Cavs next at 5-2, Spurs 6-1…
    Unrelated but the Giants medical staff strikes again…I just read this in SF gate..
    …Even after Panik was cleared to play, his eyesight did not return to normal. It stayed a bit fuzzy. He could not see pitches as well and compensated by opening his stance, which allowed him to see the ball longer. But that prevented Panik from reaching outside pitches and hitting breaking balls….
    WTF?? He played and he couldn’t see. Brilliant…

• zumiee said, on February 13, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Not only played, but Bochy batted him third in the order for the first few games he was back, in an attempt to jumpstart a Giants lineup that was cratering at the time.

• zumiee said, on February 13, 2017 at 5:07 pm

As we all remember, it didn’t go well for Panik on his return.

• Macdog said, on February 13, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Panik did hit 6 for 10 with a couple doubles in the Cubs series.

11. Macdog said, on February 13, 2017 at 6:33 pm

My favorite AP headline of the night: “Diamondbacks report with essentially same team as in 2016”

12. zumiee said, on February 13, 2017 at 6:57 pm

The Warriors took it out of the Thunder. The listless Thunder is losing by 30 to the Wizards.

• Flavor said, on February 13, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Thunder mighta taken it out of the Warriors. They’re down by 25 to shitty Denver

• zumiee said, on February 13, 2017 at 7:14 pm

Proving again the reality of pro sports: it’s impossible for teams to get super “up” for every regular season game.

13. djloo27 said, on February 13, 2017 at 7:49 pm

You know where I stand on the Bum deal. Tear it up now and give him 5/100 starting immediately…

• zumiee said, on February 13, 2017 at 8:04 pm

I’m not sure he would take it.

• djloo27 said, on February 13, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Would you offer it if it were up to you?

• zumiee said, on February 13, 2017 at 8:25 pm

8 years, 200 million.

14. zumiee said, on February 13, 2017 at 8:08 pm

Trump at 40% job approval rating in the latest Gallup Poll.

• alleykat69 said, on February 13, 2017 at 8:16 pm

What was Hitler’s ratings?

• zumiee said, on February 13, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Very high in Germany until he invaded Russia.

15. willedav said, on February 13, 2017 at 8:25 pm

I saw in the Romo deal with LA that (reg season anyway) he was not responsible for any of the Giants 30 blown saves.
    Casilla had 9, so I’m curious–who had all the rest? Had to be some of the set up guys, right?
    And um, how many of these guys are Giants bringing back?

• zumiee said, on February 13, 2017 at 8:31 pm

On the other hand, will Romo give the Dodgers what they got from Blanton last year? Romo is a question mark these days, IMO.

16. zumiee said, on February 13, 2017 at 8:52 pm

Trump’s national security advisor resigned today. It’s a smooth running machine.

• zumiee said, on February 13, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Great quote from a pundit:
      “Flynn was said to have been unaware of the little known rule prohibiting the National Security Advisor from simultaneously serving both the American and Russian presidents.”

17. Bozo said, on February 13, 2017 at 8:52 pm

So, if Bumgarner would have blown his arm out in the second year of his contract, that would have made it a great deal for Madison and y’all would have been good with that?
    Instead of an extension, if the Giants offered Madison an opt out clause so he could become a free agent, everyone here would be cool with that right? I mean if it was in Madison’s best interest and all, we’re good with that right?
    The contract worked out for both and it isn’t an issue in my opinion.

• djloo27 said, on February 13, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Maybe if they hadn’t rewarded EVERYONE else from the championship teams, I’d feel differently. This guy isn’t just another contributor. In 2014, he practically did it alone – like Hershiser in ’88…

• Bozo said, on February 14, 2017 at 5:22 am

Sorry Loo, I just don’t agree. Renteria, Jazz Hands, Cody Ross were not rewarded after our first one (although if I ever run into Edgar somewhere, I’m buying), Pablo’s contract wasn’t redone after 2012, A lot of one and two year deals have been given out after a WS win but both Bum and the Giants wanted to lock into a long term deal. and in that sense it has been beneficial to both IMO. Yes Madison has carried a huge load for our championship teams and my guess is his contract will probably be redone after this year.