Reporting for Duty

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 14, 2017

Nothing about this will change your reality or alter your day in any way. But just *because* your mood might improve. You just might walk the earth with a little more bounce in your step.

Pitchers and catchers report today.

Who is your key to the pitching staff this year? For me, even more than Melancon, it’s THAT FUCKING LEFTY RELIEVER. He has the chance to be Jeremy Affeldt in his prime–a stud who can get both lefty and righties out. I had given up on this guy until he emerged as probably our best reliever in September last year.

The Giants gave up a lot for TFLR and there were many questions about his worth. If he can step up and be THE GUY to hand the ball to Melancon our bullpen could take the most reliable shape we’ve seen since the days of The Core Four.

If he can’t, it’s gonna be *Oh!shit!andOkert* Time and I don’t think Bochy has it in him to go through another season like 2016.

1. chipower9 said, on February 14, 2017 at 6:42 am

And first workouts tomorrow…

Outside of TFLR, I would say Osich. Now that Lopez is gone, I think it is key to have that specialist who can get lefties out consistently. Osich has the splits to be that guy, so I hope Bochy and Rags use him accordingly.

Outside of that, I am very interested to see if Cain has any juice left. Man, with him raking-in a cool $20,833,333…I would like to see some decent performance.

Let’s play ball!

2. sfsarge said, on February 14, 2017 at 7:01 am

I was gonna say Cain. He has already said that he doesn’t want to come out of the pen and if he sucks, I wouldn’t want that to happen anyway. 20 mil is a lot of coin to part ways with, but if it’s clear that he’s done, they need to yank him from the rotation sooner than later. A faltering Cain is detrimental to the pen if they have to mop up after 3 or 4 disastrous innings.

3. Bozo said, on February 14, 2017 at 8:00 am

If Smith continues to pitch like he did in September, we got a great deal.
    We gave up a backup catcher in Susac and a first rounder in Phil “Smoke em if ya got em” Bickford. In December Bickford tested positive a second time for recreational drug use and will be serving a 50 day suspension to start the year. I doubt he’ll be in the bigs anytime soon.

4. willedav said, on February 14, 2017 at 9:05 am

I think it’s Cueto. Don’t like him pitching in the ill timed WBC, which doesn’t seem to bode well for those who have done it in past. Last year second half wasn’t near as spectacular as first half (iirc), and Giants are gonna need him to be Ace #2 and better than anyone LA has not named Opie…or even him too.

Remember he has an opt out after this year so in effect it’s still a contract year for him.

5. Macdog said, on February 14, 2017 at 9:10 am

Add another pitcher to the bullpen mix: Pav reports Giants sign righty David Hernamdez, a former D-back who played for Phils last year, had 70 appearances with 3.74 ERA and 9.9 Ks per 9 IP.

• Macdog said, on February 14, 2017 at 9:10 am

That’s a minor league deal.

6. willedav said, on February 14, 2017 at 9:46 am

Hey Mac props to Monmouth Hawks for 12th W in a row. Saw the Robinson kid got 40 (8 3s?) at Siena, where the tourney is played. Good sign!

• Macdog said, on February 14, 2017 at 9:59 am

Yep, Siena apparently allergic to defense, good matchup for MU. I’m thinking of going Thursday vs. Niagara.

7. gianthead said, on February 14, 2017 at 10:05 am

I say it is Smardjaramjam. He is now the #4 pitcher and we are spending $17 mill on him. If he is not pitching well and at least shown a second go to pitch this first half of the year and we have Ty Blach either in the minors (and Cain has shocked everyone and pitches well in the 5 hole and velocity back up) or pitching well in the 5th spot, I say we start shopping Smardjaramjam. $17 mill has to be be better spent than on a #4 starter.

That then gives them more room to extend Bum sooner than later to avoid then luxury tax issues.

• willedav said, on February 14, 2017 at 11:50 am

mm Smrdz definitely a concern. I’m hoping his turn becomes Hundley’s weekly + role as starting C and he is able to get more out of him and into double digits Ws.

8. blade3colorado said, on February 14, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Down with GH regarding alphabet pitcher. He alternately was outstanding and sucked donkey dick equally last season. More consistency needed. I expect less than zero from Cain. I hated what Bochy said yesterday about everyone wanting him to win the “so called open competition” for the 5th slot. Huh? Sounds like the fix is in. Me? I release his ass if he can’t hang in his first 4 starts. Yeah, I know – not going to happen. Sigh.

9. Flavor said, on February 14, 2017 at 12:23 pm

I always liked David Hernandez. Would be great if he has anything left.

10. unca_chuck said, on February 14, 2017 at 12:41 pm

Regardless of what happens, the 5th spot is going to be fair to suck. So there’s that. Large Smarge is going to have to start listening to Rags and Buster and stop being stubborn with his FB and get more consistent with his innings and wins.

So I think he’s key. He has pitched off the charts, and then pigheadedly. He’s al over the place.

11. mrsprtdude said, on February 14, 2017 at 12:52 pm

By most if not all accounts Will smith pitched very well last year. The only guy who didn’t know was Bochy. Shandler 2nd have bpx 156. Closer worthy numbers (MadBum was 166 for the year). Law had great numbers too…

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2017 at 1:14 pm

I love Shandler and buy the Baseball Forecaster every year. But relievers get judged on their game to game results, not theoretically how dominant they are or how that would translate into other roles. He was pretty bad for us till Sept. And that’s being kind. Go look at his game logs if you remember it differently.

12. unca_chuck said, on February 14, 2017 at 1:18 pm

The only Hernandez I want is JD Martinez. . .

13. alleykat69 said, on February 14, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Chuck you got chill out some of Shark Face.
    Yeah he maybe stubborn some like most pitchers but all the Giants want and get is 200 plus innings a year for 6 straight seasons.Any big league manager takes that stat and digs it even if can have some inconsistent starts. He’s a innings eater just like Bum&Cueto which helps a tired overwork pen in a course of162 GM season..

• unca_chuck said, on February 14, 2017 at 5:01 pm

He admitted to being his own worst enemy at times last year. I ain’t THAT down on him.

14. unca_chuck said, on February 14, 2017 at 5:14 pm

Holy shit chuck. You near hiway 50?

15. zumiee said, on February 14, 2017 at 6:51 pm

“Royals lefty pitcher Brian Flynn will miss eight weeks because of a broken rib and other injuries received when he fell through the roof of his Oklahoma barn just days before reporting to camp.”

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2017 at 8:07 pm

i readily admit that I’m not known as the world’s handy-es man but if I my body was dependent on me making millions of dollars I would probably hire someone to go up on my fucking barn roof and do whatever the hell gets done on top of a barn roof

• snarkk said, on February 14, 2017 at 8:54 pm

Thank you.
        I’ve always wondered WTF these clown pitchers are doing in the offseason, or even in season, playing with knives and power tools and nailing on roofing, cooking with hot grease etc., when their hands, fingers and arms are what gives them the ability to earn millions. Not to mention the odd incident of hitting a wall or toilet stall door with your pitching hand while pissed off. I can’t figure anything else explains it except hubris and idiocy…

• zumiee said, on February 14, 2017 at 9:02 pm

Cleveland has Mr. Drone-man, and his hacked-up finger.

16. djloo27 said, on February 14, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Strickland’s a goner as part of a deadline package for an OF.
    I’m already in July…

17. djloo27 said, on February 14, 2017 at 8:11 pm

Cueto turns 31 in (D.R. years) tomorrow and has over 1,600 ML innings on his arm.
    One more great season followed by an opt-out might be a best case scenario for the Giants…

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2017 at 8:13 pm

absolutely. If they are planning on tearing up Bum’s deal and giving him 200 mil, it’s almost a done deal that this will be Cueto’s last year with us.

18. snarkk said, on February 14, 2017 at 8:57 pm

So, everyone’s agreed that by the time Bum is ready to get paid $30 million a year via current contract having run, he’ll actually be in no position to actually EARN that kind of money?…

• zumiee said, on February 14, 2017 at 9:05 pm

If he stays healthy, he’ll get his huge payday.

19. zumiee said, on February 14, 2017 at 9:57 pm

Kings 97, Lakers 96
    Cousins: 40 pts/ 12 rebounds/ 8 assists

20. mrsprtdude said, on February 14, 2017 at 11:55 pm

Shit. We need Lakers to win. If they finish 4th worst they lose #1 pick. 3rd worst they get to keep it….Live in LA area and laker fans so full of themselves it is beyond annoying…