Firings and a Walk Off

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 25, 2017

This new won’t matter to most of you guys, but KNBR fired Matt Kolsky and Vegas Joe Hughes yesterday in a stupid cost cutting move that preserved Gary Radnich and the laughing hyena known as John Lund. I know the cuts don’t directly correspond to those 2 idiots keeping their jobs but it’s just sad to see a couple of hard working younger guys get sacked while Radnich and The Laugher stay on.

I know it didn’t mean a thing but it was fun to hear Miller call the walk off yesterday. I am not a big Affeldt guy. Heard him enough on KNBR to know that all he is right now, at least when it comes to baseball, is quick sound bites and comments about the only thing he knows: relief pitching. But who knows, Kruk and Kuip got better. Remember what they were like when they first started?

1. zumiee said, on February 25, 2017 at 7:14 am

When Krukow first started, he used “swang” as the past tense of “swing.” It took him a few games to fix that.

2. willedav said, on February 25, 2017 at 7:18 am

I never listen to KNBR if there isn’t a game/pregame going on, tho I do remember hearing these guys.
    Either one could replace Amy and be an instant improvement.
    Kate Scott does women’s stuff for the Pac12 TV network and is pretty good.
    Great women’s game for first place in league last night that Stanford lost in last 14 seconds to OSU. Pac 12 women’s league might get 6 teams in, tho Cal unlikely to be one of them.

Fun fact: I used to coach younger brother of a gal who played 4 yrs at Cal and held (might still) career record for 3s. She came through Asian leagues and club teams and coaches college ball now.

Loo is right too that speed doesn’t necessarily translate into being smart on basepaths. I’ve said all along that Bochy doesn’t have a team to do a lot of small ball stuff and reading stats from last year reinforces it. Giants just don’t have a lot of speed or guys who make smart decisions out there, so why bother? You either gain perspective over the years on whether you can make a play by taking extra bag, or not. And Belt thinking he is faster than he is and should run more (and he did bulk up some and gain weight last year) is just classic Belt.

3. Flavor said, on February 25, 2017 at 7:23 am

I stumbled upon this KTVU broadcast and it’s got some very cool shots in it, especially of our local broadcasters. Kruk and Kuip should up at 42:30 but the entire thing is worth watching if you have nothing else to do right now.

• willedav said, on February 25, 2017 at 8:26 am

thx. caught first 10-15 minutes, catch rest later after work and b-ball.
      Crazy Crab might have been funniest mascot shit I ever saw, with crowd laughing and booing relentlessly.

4. Flavor said, on February 25, 2017 at 9:21 am

this is a great pic

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 25, 2017 at 9:23 am

I hate to see a guy get shit canned but I wasn’t the biggest fan of Vvvveyyygas Joe. Dude’s hyper nasal reporting between segments made Amy G seem like a polished pro. Lund’s saving grace is that he seems to connect with Tolbert and Ratto is the alternative.

One of the biggest problems for the club the last few years has been lack of depth and they’ve brought in a lot of guys that can potentially plug some gaps all around diamond. BP is still a concern but having Moore from the start of the season makes a strong 1-4 that could save some wear on the BP. I’m getting stoked for the season. Gotta get in the ticket pool with in the laws.

A belated Happy Birthday to you, Big Flav. Thanks for all you do with the blog.

• Flavor said, on February 25, 2017 at 10:03 am

thanks. Yeah, I actually agree with your take on Vegas JH. But he was still out there trying which is more than can be said for Radnich who mails it in each and every day. And I really liked Kolsky. Enjoyed his takes.

6. alleykat69 said, on February 25, 2017 at 10:10 am

With ya Dirt on getting shitcanned that’s rough, but your right Vegas Joe didn’t offer much to me, he only filled in when Kate Scott was on vacation or doing Pac12.Scott is really talented imo and after 5-6yrs with Mac&Murph as second string she was right to finally do her own gig.Not a fan of that other dude either Kevin OConnor P-con?? The Shower Hour (5-6am)good time to take a shower when he comes on!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 25, 2017 at 10:24 am

P-Conn has grown on me but I don’t listen to his morning show. Sometimes I catch his weekend sport saloon and it’s not bad. His Twitter feed can be pretty humorous.

• Flavor said, on February 25, 2017 at 10:30 am

agreed. I catch him in the morning cause I get up so early but I recognize the 5am morning shows aren’t for everyone

7. snarkk said, on February 25, 2017 at 10:10 am

KNBR is owned by Cumulus, controlled by right wingers out of Atlanta. It’s been in the financial dumper for some time, lots of debt used to buy stations. Their management MO is have the talking heads paid well, and cut expenses to the bone on everything below that. So, the support staff and lesser lights are paid squat, and union representation is not cool. Cumulus took over KGO and literally destroyed that station. It was the #1 station for 35 years in SF, now it is pure garbage and barely getting ratings. I wouldn’t be surprised if the KNBR guys axed were vocal about getting paid, and/or were active in union issues. No surprise that some of the young people you used to hear on KNBR are now working for 95.7 (Entercom station, not Cumulus). Lee Jones, the long-time engineer for Giants broadcasts left at end of last year. I thought he retired. He’s apparently now doing work for 95.7. Cumulus owns a LP interest in the Giants. As we know from the past flare ups with the culinary workers at ATT, the Giants are not union friendly…

• Flavor said, on February 25, 2017 at 10:25 am

actually, Kolsky was one of the guys leading the protest against Cumulus last Summer so you’re probably right about why he got shit canned.

• snarkk said, on February 25, 2017 at 10:33 am

Yep, no surprise then. Ralph the Razor sued Cumulus for wrongful termination when they canned him in 2012 after he said publicly that he had Parkinson’s. Settled out of court for a reported $4 million…

8. snarkk said, on February 25, 2017 at 10:22 am

I heard Afifelt on radio a bit yesterday. Not so good, but he’ll get better, anybody would. What must Doug Greenwald think? Over a decade in Fresno broadcasting AAA ball, and he doesn’t get a sniff of helping fill the void of Krukow downshifting his time. Greenwald is not a color guy sure, but he’s got to be chafed the Giants deserted Fresno. Not that I’m a fan of his, he’s as interesting on radio as an emergency broadcast signal…

• zumiee said, on February 25, 2017 at 10:28 am

In his terrific book about the minor leagues, John Feinstein has a section about the life of AAA broadcasters, and their long quest to try to get to the show. Many never make it.

• snarkk said, on February 25, 2017 at 10:36 am

Could be the story of Doug Greenwald. I don’t see him ever getting a leading MLB gig…

9. zumiee said, on February 25, 2017 at 10:24 am

P-Con is the annoying Patrick Connor. The whole “P-Con,” “A-Rod” thing needs to go away. It sounds horribly dated.

• Flavor said, on February 25, 2017 at 10:29 am

i go back and forth on P-Con. I like some of his sports takes, dislike his conservative political takes. He’s another guy who works hard tho and I find that being a theme that I consistently support these days. Something to be said for working hard….

• snarkk said, on February 25, 2017 at 10:35 am

He frequently makes comments about how little he gets paid. That’s no joke. These radio dudes that aren’t the main talkers get paid nothing. They have to love doing it, because it ain’t for the money…

10. snarkk said, on February 25, 2017 at 10:44 am

I’d love to know about Marty Lurie’s deal with KNBR. He’s very very popular. He can’t be an employee, has to be an independent contractor, because he sells his own ads to a great extent. So he must share ad revenue with the station. I wouldn’t doubt he might somehow supplement the pay of the young dudes at KNBR that support him…

11. snarkk said, on February 25, 2017 at 11:05 am

Baer on KNBR saying essentially Cain will have to totally cave in ST to not make the rotation…

• zumiee said, on February 25, 2017 at 11:10 am

Oh yes, the big contracts play in Giants-world. The Giants owners have made that very clear to the baseball people. Heads have rolled over that issue.

• Flavor said, on February 25, 2017 at 12:37 pm

That’s what Estes said pre game with Miller, too

12. zumiee said, on February 25, 2017 at 11:07 am

I have to admit I like just about nothing on KNBR anymore except Giant games and Warrior games. The morning show interviews can be good, though.
    I finally grew tired of Tolbert’s show. I wonder if he’s getting bored with it.

• Flavor said, on February 25, 2017 at 12:40 pm

All Tolbert does now is rattle away about all the shit he likes and Lund is there to laugh like a hyena at everything he says. Lund is pointless

13. gianthead said, on February 25, 2017 at 11:33 am

There was some very interesting points about Beede in yesterday’s Giants news. I was impressed with the comments from Blackburn about his potential. He seems destined to be in the rotation next year and I am in the Blach camp getting the nod over Cain. Cain is not a long term option but Blach could certainly be and if Beede is looking destined for the rotation, they may have the chance to get out of the Smardjaramjam contract with Cueto hopefully staying…

14. Bozo said, on February 25, 2017 at 11:53 am

Wynton Bernard.

15. Lurker John said, on February 25, 2017 at 12:24 pm

Health, that’s what I care about most this spring, everyone healthy on opening day.

16. Flavor said, on February 25, 2017 at 12:39 pm

Cain is a lock, apparently, unless he gets hurt. My guess is that he’ll be awful this spring and they phantom injury him before the season starts. Then we get Blach or Blackburn for the #5

• snarkk said, on February 25, 2017 at 12:59 pm

I wouldn’t mind that at all. Even if Cain limps through ST and starts the season, it would be very possible that by mid-season, he’s suckage for 6 or 7 starts before they decide they can’t stomach him anymore and DL for a phantom injury. Meanwhile, there’s 1/2 a season of Blach or Beede or Blackburn throwing pitches in AAA that could have been thrown instead to win Cain’s suckage starts. This is the Giants way, and it never ceases to piss me off. They have to pay Cain regardless, so if he sucks, it’s better to throw him out there to get hammered and lose games, rather that give a young guy experience and win some of those lost games? Baer said basically that Cain’s earned a long leash for the above scenario. To me, it’s nonsense. If you run a business, and a guy is F-ing off or not producing, and somebody else can take his place and do better, you keep the F-up around, because he’s been good in the past? That’s not good business, and not good for morale of the guys coming up. They finally let Timmy go, but his deal was done. Cain’s deal isn’t done, so they keep him around…

17. alleykat69 said, on February 25, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Rags said the other morning:Not gonna treat Cain with kid gloves, he says he’s healthy and we’re going with “The Cain/Horse pitcher from 10 years ago theory!Ok then lol..
    Are as BF just mentioned the phantom injury scenario more likely…

• Flavor said, on February 25, 2017 at 1:03 pm

What’s gonna suck is that I bet he’ll have an inning or two each game where he looks good. Then it will implode and raggs will blame arm angle/mechanics or some bullshit. The reality is that this guy can’t do it for 100 pitches anymore. Bullpen arm AT BEST these days but the giants brass (and Cain) will be too stubborn to see it.

• snarkk said, on February 25, 2017 at 1:04 pm

If Cain can still stand on a mound at end of March without falling off, and is not hurt, he’s going to break with the club to SF. He will have to get hammered ceaselessly in ST to not have that scenario happen…

18. snarkk said, on February 25, 2017 at 1:24 pm

If I were running this club, I’d manage it like Bill Walsh. Cut Cain’s ass in the offseason, DFA. Thanks, we’ll see you at the re-union. So now, in ST, you engage Blach, Blackburn and Beede in an open 3-man competition for the #5 spot — they go for it because they know one of them WILL get it. The other two sit back down in AAA after final cuts, and wait for the next opportunity. I’m not wasting any of these guys arms more in AAA if I can help it, especially with Cueto maybe opting out next season…

• djloo27 said, on February 25, 2017 at 1:58 pm

I don’t think Cueto would opt out even if he went 22-3.
      Too risky at his supposed age and all those IP on his arm.
      How many more millions does he need?

19. djloo27 said, on February 25, 2017 at 2:01 pm

I hope Timmy lands in the booth somehow.
    Beloved Giant, fun guy (I guess), great voice and a pitcher’s knowledge of the game…

• alleykat69 said, on February 25, 2017 at 2:05 pm

I want to be in Tim’s booth on 420 night!!

20. alleykat69 said, on February 25, 2017 at 2:03 pm

Probably down to just Blach are Blackburn for#5
    Both have over 600 innings in the minors(Beede less then 300 innings but the best prospect for sure)which wtf should be plenty, Blach’s already 26,still rotting away as he waits for Matt to denstergrate into space particles!! Didn’t Orq like KC&Tampa use their young arms early on and had good success??

21. Macdog said, on February 25, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Hwang 3-run HR.

• snarkk said, on February 25, 2017 at 2:44 pm

Nothing like dingers, keep em coming…

22. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 25, 2017 at 2:50 pm

You guys can all suck it with your doomer takes on Matt Muthufuckin’ Cain. He’s going to be the best 5th starter in baseball as far as I am concerned. We’ll be thinking of him as a 3 or 4 by the end of the year.

• zumiee said, on February 25, 2017 at 3:49 pm

• zumiee said, on February 25, 2017 at 3:50 pm

🙂

• djloo27 said, on February 25, 2017 at 3:52 pm

Looks like Zumie wants to “86” Cain…

• zumiee said, on February 25, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Time for the horse to be put out to pasture. 🙂

• snarkk said, on February 25, 2017 at 6:16 pm

“Would you believe”… a 6.5 ERA into June?…

23. zumiee said, on February 25, 2017 at 3:59 pm

The Hornets are serving up a dose of reality-check to the Kings today.

24. Flavor said, on February 25, 2017 at 4:20 pm

gif lord is back. Love it!

25. Flavor said, on February 25, 2017 at 4:38 pm

The Honger hit a Donger? Right on! Really hoping he makes the team.

26. Flavor said, on February 25, 2017 at 6:22 pm

Everyone’s gotta take somebody. Diggity has His Man Span. Dirt’s got Cainer. Most of the rest of you have Belt. I’m taking The Donger.

• djloo27 said, on February 25, 2017 at 6:27 pm

I’ll take my boy Okert – the Carefree Hillbilly…

• Flavor said, on February 25, 2017 at 7:48 pm

lol, that’s perfect!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 25, 2017 at 7:01 pm

• Flavor said, on February 25, 2017 at 7:46 pm

there he is! And 30 years later, a new Donger has come into our lives.

27. djloo27 said, on February 25, 2017 at 6:28 pm

This team can use a little more spark and personality.
    The former band of misfits can be a little vanilla at times…

28. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 25, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Good choice on “The Donger”, Craig. I love me some 3-run homeruns….

29. alleykat69 said, on February 25, 2017 at 7:59 pm

I’ll go with Beedejuice!

30. zumiee said, on February 25, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Cousins and the Pelicans lost again. (sad trombone)