Defending You Man

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 26, 2017

Another day upon us. Another day wondering how many dongs the 2nd greatest and 2nd most all-knowing Hwang will dong out of the park today.

Miller brought up an interesting point about Diggity’s main man Span yesterday—-he might not have ever fully recovered from his hip surgery from the previous off season. Said we might not have seen the true Span. Said he looks fantastic. Said this could be go-time.

Technically I now have two guys who are *mine*. Nunie and The Honger. But The Honger is actually my spring training guy. So that’s why I get two.

Who’s *your guy* in 2017? Spring training or otherwise?

Don’t say “Belt”…..

1. Flavor said, on February 26, 2017 at 6:26 am

if this guy only knew where Flavortown really was….

2. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 26, 2017 at 6:49 am

With a nod to BIll Maher, New Rule about spring training: any player, ANY player, who hits a 3-run homer automatically makes the team for Opening Day. Call it my Earl Weaver rule. Those are my guys this spring training. Hwang’s in, who’s next?

3. Bozo said, on February 26, 2017 at 6:50 am

Won’t you take me to
    Flavortown? dah ta dah.

I’m going with the all CF team – Wynton Bernard in the spring and Span for the regular season.

4. willedav said, on February 26, 2017 at 10:15 am

Specs. Hope he makes Panik expendable for a good hitting OF.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Nunez given he has the incumbent’s hold on 3b . I remember when SF brass wondered what would happen if Pedro Feliz was the 500 AB everyday guy, and then found out the bad news.

Snarkk makes a great point re: Cain. It’s hard for me to believe that one of the young guys would be as bad as Peavy and Cain were last year. And if they faltered you could call up one of the others.

As Zum has mentioned before, LA dumps useless guys off and pays them no problem. Losing Matt Kemp hasn’t cost them anything in the standings.

5. alleykat69 said, on February 26, 2017 at 10:47 am

Omg …Bill Paxton( 61)dies complications from surgery !! RIP “The Extreme” Losing way to many greats lately, it really sucks!

6. willedav said, on February 26, 2017 at 11:15 am

Always looking out for something new to read this one in Sunday SF Chron Literary Guide of authors appearing locally caught my eye:

Dweezil Zappa “Stories Beyond the Spotlight” at Silo’s of Napa today. His band will be in Santa Cruz I think in May. Provided roads are finally clear down there, might be fun night.

7. pawliekokonuts said, on February 26, 2017 at 12:29 pm

1. Chris Marerro, because a) he is the leading candidate for the Emmanuel Burriss Former Syracuse Chief Award and b) spelling his last name is a CF [his brother Devin [??] was also a Chief]

2. Hwang. Hwhy hnot?

8. pawliekokonuts said, on February 26, 2017 at 12:31 pm

So, the hed for this thread either needs a vocative comma and a hipster drawl:

DEFENDING YOU, MAN

or an “R”:

DEFENDING YOUR MAN [with a Tammy Wynette sound track]

• Flavor said, on February 26, 2017 at 12:38 pm

Lol, I missed the u. Can’t fix it now, I’m on road

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 26, 2017 at 12:54 pm

the R . . . . anyway, who cares? Our so-called President fucks up spelling and grammar all the time. Nobody cares. Mostly nobody.

• Flavor said, on February 26, 2017 at 1:26 pm

The R, Jesus. Sorry, destracted driving

9. Macdog said, on February 26, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Gillaspie 2-run bomb today.

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 26, 2017 at 12:55 pm

You heard it first: BASIN BOMBERS: your 2017 Giants

10. pawliekokonuts said, on February 26, 2017 at 12:56 pm

For DJLoo (and Macdog et al.) in case you missed it: http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/willie-mays-still-a-much-welcomed-presence-at-giants-camp-1.13174567

• Macdog said, on February 26, 2017 at 2:00 pm

“I can’t see the ball, but I know where it’s going.” Good stuff.

• djloo27 said, on February 26, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Thanks, Pawlie. Love to read anything about my surly hero.
      Spander might be as old as Willie.
      The article sure ends abruptly…

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 26, 2017 at 8:02 pm

Man, I didn’t even realize it was Art Spander, who is in my scrapbook from the Sporting News clippings of the Fifties and Sixties.

11. sandog said, on February 26, 2017 at 2:43 pm

Span is still my Man. Like I’ve said before, I think the narrative that he was not fully recovered last year and THIS year he will turn into a modern day Rod Carew is total bullshit. He’s gonna hit between .260 to .280, just like he always has and provide a little speed and above average defense in CF. I will be satisfied with that. Most here will not and will bash him mercilessly. It will all be great fun!
    Fun Fact: My dad and Willie Mays shared the same eye specialist in San Francisco for many years. This doctor has actually been a friend of our family for a long time and eats at my brother’s restaurant in San Anselmo regularly, but the bit about Willie Mays being a long time patient of his didn’t come out until fairly recently.

• djloo27 said, on February 26, 2017 at 3:18 pm

The amount of criticism Span gets may depend on how well the speedy Nunie is doing further down in the order…

• djloo27 said, on February 26, 2017 at 5:46 pm

Stand by your Span, and show the world you love him…

12. djloo27 said, on February 26, 2017 at 3:09 pm

I never got the feeling that Mays and McCovey were especially close…

• alleykat69 said, on February 26, 2017 at 4:11 pm

McCovey got more respect then Mays cause Mays started in New York and never totally won the fans over which is BS, but Stretch came up thru the SF organization and instantly won the fans over.A 4-4 debut with 2 triples off off of Robin Roberts never hurts as well for fan support…

13. djloo27 said, on February 26, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Maybe I missed it, but where the hell is Angel Pagan???

• alleykat69 said, on February 26, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Nobody’s interested. Want him back on the Mets Loo if they give him a cup of coffee tryout??

• djloo27 said, on February 26, 2017 at 5:22 pm

He’s perfect for the Giants in the Blanco role, but I guess they’re just tired of him, his injuries, and the salute…

14. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 26, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Ok, so, I said early in this thread that “my ST guys” are the ones who hit 3-rum homers. I’m going to add an “honorable mention” category to my list for the 2-run homer (hey, three 2-run homers are as good as two 3-run homers), so welcome to the club, Panik Gillaspie and Parker. Parker’s actually “my guy” for becoming LFer.

15. snarkk said, on February 26, 2017 at 5:23 pm

My guy is Williamson. I like RHd power. He’s got an option left, Parker doesn’t, so I guess for the SF braintrust that means Williamson has to hit 12 bombs and hit .600 in ST to make the club. So, I’m rooting for the guy. Blach is my #2 guy. Cain will get the #5 unless he’s hurt or punches out Bochy, so I think Blach is going to end up as a River Cat until at least late May or so…

16. snarkk said, on February 26, 2017 at 5:25 pm

I think I said a lot last year that Span was still messed up from surgeries. Who signed him anyway — was Baalke in Sabean’s office and took the call from Span’s agent?…

17. djloo27 said, on February 26, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Span (5) and Duffy (4) combined for 9 RBIs on opening day last year.
    For the season Span had a career high 11 HR but just 12 SB…

18. snarkk said, on February 26, 2017 at 6:00 pm

I heard Miller on radio say that Pagan hasn’t picked up a pro gig yet, but he’ll be playing for PRico in the WBC thing. Apparently Pagan wants a multi year MLB deal, or he’s not signing at all. At least that’s what his position is for now…

• zumiee said, on February 26, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Pagan needs to sing the Aerosmith song “Dream on….”

• snarkk said, on February 26, 2017 at 6:46 pm

LOL. Yeah, I’d be happy with a one year deal, if I could still play at that level. The dude apparently is too proud, so far, to take a make good minor league deal and go to a camp to earn a job…

• djloo27 said, on February 26, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Angel was solid last year – relatively healthy, even got his double digit power stroke back. Never complained about being bounced out of the lead off spot. Can’t believe this guy can’t get a deal – he’s a very good 4th OF…

19. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 26, 2017 at 8:45 pm

With you on Williamson, snarkk. He was looking good before getting injured last year and I just haven’t been impressed with Parker. Dude seems overmatched in The Show. Like you said, options will leave Williamson on the short end of the stick.

20. xoot said, on February 26, 2017 at 9:25 pm

Panik. Concussion double vision long gone, he’ll rake. I believe.

21. snarkk said, on February 26, 2017 at 10:02 pm

Really would like to see the top LU players get through this season without big time injuries. No concussions, ripped hammies, broken thumbs, etc. If they do that, they’ve got a good shot for the division. With all these extra guys in camp vying for spots, the bench has to be better this year. After all, Agent 0 is not there anymore…

• djloo27 said, on February 27, 2017 at 4:30 am