Sunday Is For Football

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 17, 2017

With NFL Week 2 upon us, there is literally nothing I can do to trick myself into watching Walker v Stratton today. Can you imagine buying tickets to this game months ago and now actually feeling forced to go? Ugh. I suppose you could unload your tickets for two bones.

Still excited to watch the Niners this year, my expectation for the season have nothing to do with wins or losses. I just want to see young players starting to make plays, maybe see an unknown or two bubble to the top of the depth chart.

Between the Giants and Niners we have 8 championships in my lifetime to forever celebrate. And then last year the Niners were the worst team in the league, this year the Giants are the worst team in the league. It’s still entirely possible that the Niners are STILL the worst team in the league….

Cycles. Life. Repeat.

1. blade3colorado said, on September 17, 2017 at 7:06 am

What is a WAB? Looked all over FanGraphs and Baseball Reference – couldn’t find a thing. Is this a Flap stat?

Oh yeah, I listened to “Tiger Fan” and I have a few questions . . . Is he taking seizure medication or at least enrolled in Obamacare? Wow! Unbelievable rant. Hahaha . . . Seriously, does he post here, i.e., is he converting to become a Giants fan??? Now, that would be weird, especially after 2010.

• Flavor said, on September 17, 2017 at 7:21 am

lol, yes that is a stat I made up which you will probably find at fangraphs by early next season. It stands for “wins above belt”. It’s gonna be nip and tuck right down to the wire to see if they win more or less without Belt in the line up.

2. Flavor said, on September 17, 2017 at 7:24 am

just calculated the WAB. They are at .384 since Belt went down on Aug 4. They were, I think, .378 with him.

3. zumiee said, on September 17, 2017 at 7:57 am

In a recent issue of The New Yorker, it was mentioned that a long ago film critic once wrote that a film went on so long it “tested the boundaries of eternal.”
    The 2017 Giants season is testing the boundaries of eternal.

4. unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2017 at 8:11 am

• snarkk said, on September 17, 2017 at 10:45 am

He looks like a dude in my college dorm. Engineering guy.
      Spot on description…

5. wilcojoe said, on September 17, 2017 at 8:17 am

Watching my Horns last night I was thinking how glad I am to not be a Bama or Pats fan. At some point you become so entitled to winning that you just forget how it feels to endure the ups and downs that 98% of sports fans like all of us feel every single play of every single game.

All of the losses that the Giants pile up this season will only feel that much sweeter when we do start winning again. Same with the Niners, especially since they cleaned house and are pretty much starting with a clean slate. The Giants need to take note and follow suit. Losing is ok up to a point. For a MLB team, I think you can endure 2-3 losing seasons assuming your team is getting younger and putting the pieces in place to win for the next 5-6 seasons. 2 shitty seasons for every 6 winning ones (for me defined as a playoff appearance), is something I think most sports fans can live with.

6. alleykat69 said, on September 17, 2017 at 8:53 am

Yeah the problem is WJ, the Giants are in denial about this team.They really believe Pence,Span,now picking up Moore’s option ( for additional pitching depth)?liking how he’s pitched better now then he did in the 1st half ( another blunder of incompetent thinking going forward. Pablo still getting fucking AB’s is the biggest joke for me on how they run a ruderless ship right now, he should of been let go and give the AB’s to someone who actually might have a future with the team then a wasted has been, in the constant scrap pile recycle bin of Bochy’s fantasy wet dreams of players nobody else would want(Panda,Morse etc) and waste roster spots as well for his stupidity of loyalty!!!

• snarkk said, on September 17, 2017 at 10:32 am

But, how do you really feel, Kat?…

• alleykat69 said, on September 17, 2017 at 10:48 am

I’m actually feeling better after that RANT Snarkk thanks for asking!
        That and a nicely made Bloody Mary with Tito Vodka and all the trimmings as I watch some NFL games and my fantasy players..

7. willedav said, on September 17, 2017 at 10:40 am

San Diego St. with second consecutive W vs. Pac 12 teams. See how long it takes some of the teams actually in the conference to get that many.

8. snarkk said, on September 17, 2017 at 10:43 am

Cal is looking like it has some spine in the defense. As usual, the Dbackfield is weak, but there’s some rush this year, which helps. WRs are pretty good, as usual. I’m sticking with my best at 6 wins, but they are more than competitive with a coach who believes in defense, finally. I figured they’d be no better than 2-1 right now, I thought Ole Miss was a loss; so at 3-0 they’re ahead of the game. They should be competitive except against SC, in league. Pac12 looks quite down this year…

9. snarkk said, on September 17, 2017 at 10:48 am

I wanted to see what Ryder Jones could do.
    Now, I have.
    Next…

• willedav said, on September 17, 2017 at 11:26 am

I like the guy, but whoa. He and Sandoval are still looking up at Mendoza line and are under .600 OPS.
      Just completely inadequate replacements for Belt.
      I don’t mind Hundley or FedEx, but again neither of these 2 are going to hit better than Belt.
      Posey isn’t going to hit 20 bombs at 1b either and both positions suffer defensively if you move Posey there.
      So other than being less annoying to those who watch, wins after Belt is meaningless “for entertainment only’ stat. The team is NOT better until you get better players involved..

• Flavor said, on September 17, 2017 at 11:31 am

actually they are the definition of *replacement player*. That’s why I’m half serious about this WAB stat. Let’s see if replacing Belt with a replacement player did anything for/against the team’s actual win total.

10. alleykat69 said, on September 17, 2017 at 11:03 am

I’m impressed with Cal’s moxie in the 2nd half. Obviously their secondary is a weak link that needs to improve, but big plays by the WR’s , QB, and the pick 6 to seal the game showed this team can hang for now until the stiff competition comes up..

11. Flavor said, on September 17, 2017 at 11:49 am

Will Smith playing catch today. Lot going on!

12. Flavor said, on September 17, 2017 at 11:50 am

Is Will Smith the worst recent trade Sabean has made(in terms of shit in return)?

13. theroooster said, on September 17, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Seahawks favored by 14. Can the 9ers cover the spread?

14. djloo27 said, on September 17, 2017 at 1:44 pm

Still crazy for Nicole…

• Flavor said, on September 17, 2017 at 2:58 pm

she irritates me. She’s always there. He’s a kept man.

15. djloo27 said, on September 17, 2017 at 2:13 pm

He may be done, but the Panda’s never looked in better shape to me…

• zumiee said, on September 17, 2017 at 2:54 pm

He heard ya! 🙂

• djloo27 said, on September 17, 2017 at 2:58 pm

I’d send him to winter ball and see how serious he is about reviving his career…

16. zumiee said, on September 17, 2017 at 2:44 pm

Even with a 4 run lead, Parker got picked off to remind us it’s 2017.

• snarkk said, on September 17, 2017 at 3:05 pm

He got doubled up from the OF the other night, too. Doofus baserunning always endears you to the manager…

17. Flavor said, on September 17, 2017 at 3:04 pm

kinda surprised this chick was still alive

• djloo27 said, on September 17, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Speaking of women who irritate…

• snarkk said, on September 17, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Diane Lane played her in the movie.
        I’d like to be irritated by Diane Lane…

• djloo27 said, on September 17, 2017 at 3:12 pm

You scooped me, Snarkk!

• djloo27 said, on September 17, 2017 at 4:18 pm

If Jay Privman had used Flavor’s 3:04 quote, I might have literally died laughing…

18. djloo27 said, on September 17, 2017 at 3:11 pm

Among the many ridiculous things in the dreadful Secretariat movie was the choice of stunning Diane Lane to portray Penny…

• zumiee said, on September 17, 2017 at 3:15 pm

• djloo27 said, on September 17, 2017 at 4:16 pm

19. zumiee said, on September 17, 2017 at 4:04 pm

A win!

20. Stan Shell said, on September 17, 2017 at 4:28 pm

There’s an old “B” movie called Streets of Fire. Diane Lane played a rock singer. She was as hot as the movie title.
    I used to have a “strong” GF named Diane (Beggs). Wonder where she is now.

OSF

• xoot said, on September 17, 2017 at 6:10 pm

I saw the Blasters all the time in the 80s, but somehow those shows never quite matched this one–from Streets of Fire.

21. Flavor said, on September 17, 2017 at 4:57 pm

WillieD— here’s a post from our old buddy Nip at Chuck’s blog:
    Nipper says:
    September 17, 2017 at 4:33 pm
    Hey BF …..tell Wille D. I read his posts on your blog. I always learn something.

• theroooster said, on September 17, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Good old Nipper… ‘Burp’

• willedav said, on September 17, 2017 at 6:09 pm

Nip’s posts were fun. Mostly I used to bug him about drinking Yuban.
      Most kind of him to say something like that tho I’m sure he meant he learned stuff from following along with everyone else.
      And from others posts here I’ve changed the way I look at the game and players quite a bit over the years. Not sure things are as black and white and absolute as I used to think.

22. willedav said, on September 17, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Been a rough season and it’s unfortunate others who used to post more often aren’t around so much, but this blog makes so much more sense than any other one out there. Serious knowledgeable fans from all over the world that can take a step back and laugh at the absurdities of day to day stuff too and move on.
    And none of those Marty Lurie callers that want to trade Belt and Span for Giancarlo Stanton and Ozuna..

• djloo27 said, on September 17, 2017 at 6:40 pm

What if we threw in Panik?

• willedav said, on September 17, 2017 at 9:04 pm

not til he wins that batting title.
        Throw in is Strick so he can match up with Nats and Harper more often.
        Who was the guy Jose Mesa terrorized?

• djloo27 said, on September 17, 2017 at 9:16 pm

Vizquel

• xoot said, on September 17, 2017 at 10:30 pm

The first chapter of Vizquel’s memoir Omar! begins:

“Chapter 1
      Game Seven
      The most important asset for a major league baseball player is not peed or size or strength. It’s mental toughness.
      I pride myself [etc.]
      That’s why I was worried when I went to the mount in the ninth inning of Game Seven of the 1997 World Series.
      Jose Mesa, our ace relief pitcher, had come in to try to protect a one-run lead. All we had to do was get three outs and we’d win the ultimate title. The eyes of the world were focused on every move we made. Unfortunately, Jose’s own eyes were vacant. Completely empty. Nobody home. You could almost see right through him.”

Mesa blew the save. Omar blamed him in print ((c) 2002), and one of the strangest personal feuds in baseball began.

• xoot said, on September 17, 2017 at 10:32 pm

obviously, I transcribed that from my personal copy of the book. I didn’t cut and paste. Sorry for the typos.

23. willedav said, on September 17, 2017 at 6:22 pm

Only saw first Q, but isn’t 12-9 as close as Niners have been to Seachickens up there in a long ass time?

24. unca_chuck said, on September 17, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Yeah. They actually had a 9-6 lead early in the 4th. But the offense was awful minus a couple long runs by Hyde and the defense flat wore down. I think the time of possession was 26 mins to 4 in the 1st half. Reid got hurt, and we don’t have much depth.

If the O could have done anything, they Niners would have won.

25. zumiee said, on September 17, 2017 at 6:59 pm

Ryu: 4 2/3 innings, 98 pitches. Nibbler supreme.

• Flavor said, on September 17, 2017 at 8:48 pm

he’s one of a couple of underwhelming LA starters