Bochy’s Last Moves

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 9, 2019

The Pirates? In a meaningless September game? Gonna be a grind to watch even a little bit of this.

Regarding the move by Bochy to bring in the core to replace Slater and Solano: It was known Urias was only pitching a couple innings, I have to assume he kept all his players informed of the move pre-game. It was unnecessary and I want to watch the younger guys play too but this was classic Bochy. All season long, everyone kept telling me about this wistful September send off that was coming. Well, it’s here,  this is the kind of shit you should be eating up. To me this is massively underwhelming and his last month of managing does nothing for me but if there is a crowd out there for it, by all means, enjoy it…..

1. alleykat69 said, on September 9, 2019 at 7:37 am

I myself am so removed from Bochy and his stubbornness to always play the underachieving vets over where the real futures is YOUNG PLAYERS because in his terms they got me where I am today.Fine that was 2010-2012-2014 were in 2019 now with the same bunch that is washed up!!
    His final LU Card he will probably try and activate Huff,Lincecum,Cain,Burrell,Renteria,Uribe,Wilson,Winn,Blanco,Torres,Morse and others! Enjoy your endless amount of booze from your farewell tour with Flannery but just go away…

2. gianthead said, on September 9, 2019 at 8:00 am

Well at least they kept the Flodgers clinching on us and see that Sactown won their Conference Chanpionship and on to the League Championship. I have not looked at any of the box scores…any standouts?

I is not inconceivable to have the Giants win three against the Bucs and two more on the Marlins and get Boch to 2000 on this homestand…I guess he wants the old guard on the field and after 13 or so years I can begrudge him how he wants to go out. But those old dudes better produce some wins this week…

3. Macdog said, on September 9, 2019 at 8:11 am

These last three weeks are going to be a grind with nothing but meaningless games since the Giants won’t even be playing any kind of spoiler role.

Three home series with lousy teams — Pirates, Marlins, Rox.

At Boston — the Red Sox aren’t making the playoffs; maybe if the Sox keep losing, they could be eliminated by the Giants, that would be fun but it’s a longshot. But only thing of interest here will be Yaz playing at Fenway.

At Atlanta: Braves are comfortably ahead in the East, and it’s possible they could clinch the division vs. the Giants. They’re also only 3.5 behind the Dodgers, 3 in loss column, if the Braves can narrow that by the Giants series, that might be something interesting.

Final series vs. Dodgers at home: Unless the Braves have a chance to catch the Bums for best NL record, this will likely be nothing more than three meaningless games in Bochy’s swan song with the Giants.

And of course there’s the Bochy slog to 2,000 career wins. I think he’s 5 away, they got 4 vs. Bucs and 3 vs. Fish this week at home, it’d be nice to get it over and done with in SF.

4. sandog said, on September 9, 2019 at 9:36 am

I agree with Mac—Yaz playing at Fenway is gonna be Must See TV.

I don’t care what Bochy does with the line-up these days. Put Buster in the leadoff spot for all I care. It has been a fairly entertaining year and we are starting to turn the battleship a little bit. Gonna take a while, but I think we are headed in the right direction.

5. sandog said, on September 9, 2019 at 10:12 am

Does anyone know if Big Yaz has gone to a game at Oracle this year?
    I know he’s getting up there, so probably not.

• unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2019 at 10:46 am

No, he hasn’t. Kruk and Kuip would have made a big deal about it if he had.

I’m just assuming he was waiting for this series.

As far as Bochy goes, you got to give it to him for his abject loyalty to the (rotten) core. He doesn’t seem to mind his own record or the 2,000 wins, or anything else but playing his guys.

Frustrating as fuck, but I guess he earned the right to go out his own way.

BTW, he’s never been fired as a manager. The Pads just let him walk when his deal was done with them.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 9, 2019 at 10:21 am

Bochy’s currently at 1044-1043 over his 13 years in SF. I’m kind of enjoying the drive for 5 more wins to get him to 2000 total wins and the outside possibility of a .500 season. I was even thinking this morning of going to the last game to be part of the send off. Gotta take the joy where you can find it, I guess.

• alleykat69 said, on September 9, 2019 at 12:02 pm

I kind of enjoyed the 49ers drive for 5 SB titles more..

• unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2019 at 12:29 pm

Such different times in our lives that these things happened. I was a diehard Niner fan when we got wasted in the playoffs in the 70s. So the 1981 season was epic as I was 20 at the time, and it was so awesome to finally redeem ourselves. It took till I was 49 to see the Giants reach the peak, so that angst carried on for a long time.

My son is at the opposite side of things. He’s a die hard Niner fan and is hoping against hope to see the 49ers win it all. When the Giants won I reminded him how long it took for us Giants fans to get over the top. He was 13!

7. wilcojoe said, on September 9, 2019 at 10:57 am

You guys really are better baseball fans than I ever could be. Once college football starts, I just lose interest until the playoffs. Even the Astros season becomes boring to me and that’s a fun team to watch.

• alleykat69 said, on September 9, 2019 at 12:08 pm

WJ..Yeah that was a tough loss for the Texas Longhorns in a shootout with LSU on Saturday!
      Didn’t know Actor Matthew McCohaney (sp?) is a huge Longhorn fan, did he graduate from UT??

8. snarkk said, on September 9, 2019 at 12:11 pm

IMO the best way for Bochy to win games for his 2000 and .500 goals,is to play the young players, not the core. Only Longo seems to be doing much. I assume Bochy cares a little about those records. Seems to me he owes no more allegiance to core players in the last few weeks of his tenure. That’s already done…

9. alleykat69 said, on September 9, 2019 at 12:46 pm

1999 would not be that great to end his losing career managerial record with. But you just keep playing the rotten core to the end Big Head..

10. blade3colorado said, on September 9, 2019 at 1:47 pm

Browns star Odell Beckham Jr. wore a watch during Sunday’s game. Not just any watch, like a Timex, but an expensive watch – worth over $250,000 – during his debut with Cleveland. Which by the way, was rolled 43-13 by the Tennessee Titans. He also drove his customized Rolls Royce to the game.

Fast forward 10-15 years from now and dollars to donuts, we will hear about this imbecile declaring bankruptcy.

• alleykat69 said, on September 9, 2019 at 2:14 pm

Blade..Yeah I saw him wearing the watch lol 😂 s actually valued at 350,000 it’s a Richard Mille watch I believe.Hope it’s hit resistance..

• unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2019 at 2:41 pm

The Factory of Sadness lives on!

• blade3colorado said, on September 9, 2019 at 2:55 pm

Is that the moniker for the Browns? If so, I didn’t know that.

• unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2019 at 2:43 pm

ODB got outplayed by ex-Niner Delanie Walker. Love it.

11. zumiee said, on September 9, 2019 at 2:53 pm

It sounds corny to say it, but the Giants are technically still alive in the playoff chase. That’s how Bochy is approaching it, and he truly believes that playing the old core is his best chance to win. I disagree with that, but Bochy is going to stick with what he feels worked for him in the past.

12. zumiee said, on September 9, 2019 at 2:59 pm

Baer has said that basically the new manager is Zaidi’s to hire, so it will be interesting how Zaidi approaches those interviews. If Zaidi hasn’t dealt away the core by the start of next season, and he wants the core to play a lot less in the future, then that is an interesting part of his interviewing process:
    “If the older players, who have won championships, and are legends in Giants Nation, need to become back-up players, how will you approach telling those players? How would you try to get them to buy into that arrangement?”

13. zumiee said, on September 9, 2019 at 3:00 pm

Does anyone see Wotus or Muelins being willing to make those guys back-ups?

• blade3colorado said, on September 9, 2019 at 3:21 pm

I see Wotus and Muelins either quitting or being let go, so to me, it’s a non issue. Similarly, I don’t really see any interview questions regarding the core (except for Posey), as I see Crawford and Belt being traded. In the case of Craw, no one will want him, even with the Giants picking up salary, so he might be released. Belt will probably get some interest from a band box type club.

14. zumiee said, on September 9, 2019 at 3:02 pm

I think Zaidi will go outside the organization for someone with no emotional connection to those players. Ibanez has been rumored already. He’s currently in the Dodger organization, which would cause some Facebook angst.

15. unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2019 at 3:28 pm

Yeah, Blet and Crawford need to go. By hook or by crook.

16. blade3colorado said, on September 9, 2019 at 3:37 pm

Chi or anyone else – any word from Bozo? Hope he’s alright.

17. Flavor said, on September 9, 2019 at 5:40 pm

this is fairly incredible

• Macdog said, on September 9, 2019 at 6:01 pm

Just looked it up: Tudor 10, Verlander 9. Wow.

• snarkk said, on September 9, 2019 at 8:20 pm

Makes sense. For at least a decade, the complete game has gone the way of the dodo bird…

18. blade3colorado said, on September 9, 2019 at 6:56 pm

I have never seen Buster do that. Good for him and the team.

• snarkk said, on September 9, 2019 at 8:19 pm

What did he do, blade?…

19. alleykat69 said, on September 9, 2019 at 7:26 pm

Wow Deshaun Watson just hit 2 big throws for a TD with 43 seconds left to take the lead 28-27 and that was after the kicker missed the extra point but Saints got called for a tick tack running into kicker!
    And now unfucking believable Brees drives them for a 57 yard FG by Will Lutz who nails it for the win!!

• Flavor said, on September 9, 2019 at 7:31 pm

absolutely incredible game. Confident in my decision to watch that game rather than the GIants game 🙂

20. snarkk said, on September 9, 2019 at 8:16 pm

Belt picks up the K machine Posey. 410 foot double for Belt. He’ll hit 30 jacks in a bandbox AL park…

• blade3colorado said, on September 9, 2019 at 8:20 pm

In answer to your question above snarkk . . . As I alluded to earlier, even Buster can read the handwriting on the wall, bunting for a sacrifice for the first time in his career. Too bad he didn’t recognize this earlier in the season.

• snarkk said, on September 9, 2019 at 8:23 pm

Thanks. Belt just drove in 2 RBIs where Posey didn’t even put it in play. Belt does the K in that situation and he gets more crap piled on, rightly. Posey gets a shrug or no comment from announcers and fans…

• blade3colorado said, on September 9, 2019 at 8:24 pm

Buster has gone from 6.1 WAR in 2015, to 4.7 WAR in 2016, to 4.0 WAR in 2017, to 2.9 WAR in 2018 and now sits at 0.7 WAR this season. Sad.

• snarkk said, on September 9, 2019 at 8:50 pm

But, true…

• blade3colorado said, on September 9, 2019 at 9:05 pm

Another K for Buster (despite K&K praying for the foul ball to straighten out and go over the fence). lol.

21. snarkk said, on September 9, 2019 at 8:38 pm

Massive rbi contact there by Kat‘s guy Davis…

• snarkk said, on September 9, 2019 at 8:43 pm

At least he made contact to drive in the run…

22. snarkk said, on September 9, 2019 at 8:46 pm

Tony Watson, small fracture in pitching wrist from that play last week at first base tagging the runner. Could be done for the year. Criminy, these pitchers are like glass anytime they make a decent play in the field…

23. snarkk said, on September 9, 2019 at 8:53 pm

What is Bochy waiting for — pull Bum …

• blade3colorado said, on September 9, 2019 at 8:55 pm

Exactly. This may be a big mistake by Boch.

24. blade3colorado said, on September 9, 2019 at 8:54 pm

MadBum tiring out here. Get him out before he implodes. He’s done 100% better from his last start in St. Louis on Tuesday.

25. blade3colorado said, on September 9, 2019 at 9:00 pm

Well, give him credit, as it worked out. I thought 2 men on and no outs, this is going to be a disaster. Proven wrong.

• snarkk said, on September 9, 2019 at 9:04 pm

Still, what’s the point of making Bum labor? Makes no sense, he’s already pitcher of record. Posey with another swinging K…

• blade3colorado said, on September 9, 2019 at 9:07 pm

Yeah, it doesn’t make sense, but just about everything Bochy does this season has me scratching my head. Regarding Posey, he’s looking very old.

26. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 9, 2019 at 9:17 pm

I wonder if Buster would do what Andrew Luck did: realize that the pain and frustration of playing in these older injury-addled years just isn’t worth it. Probably not, because it would mean walking away from a lot of money, but really, how much money does one need? Posey can’t really be enjoying his baseball career much at this point, and he’s got nothing to prove. Unless he’s hopeful he can still gun for HOF numbers…. also probably not achievable anymore. He’s got to be viewing the coming changes as a sign that he’s possibly approaching “old and in the way” status, even though his defensive skills still might be rather sharp…

27. Macdog said, on September 9, 2019 at 9:36 pm

Now we know why Boch stuck with MadBum in the 7th.

• blade3colorado said, on September 9, 2019 at 9:54 pm

No shit. So Posey is coming up. Do you pinch hit for him? lqtm

• Macdog said, on September 9, 2019 at 9:58 pm

At least he didn’t K.

28. zumiee said, on September 9, 2019 at 9:57 pm

It irks to lose to Reynolds, the guy that was traded. Sabean/Evans finally drafted a quality outfielder, and promptly traded him. It’s kind of funny, actually.

• blade3colorado said, on September 9, 2019 at 10:02 pm

Yeah, in that ironic sort of way. huhuhu . . .

29. blade3colorado said, on September 9, 2019 at 9:58 pm

Abad was bad as Mac would say . . . and Buster was a bust.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 9, 2019 at 10:01 pm

Yeah, just abad night at the ballpark…

• blade3colorado said, on September 9, 2019 at 10:03 pm

Good one!

30. unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2019 at 10:08 pm

Ouch. My phone was blowing up while I was watching the Raiders. They are spanking the hated Broncos, but have let them back into the game.

31. snarkk said, on September 9, 2019 at 10:12 pm

Whatinhell happened?
    I left mid 8th to eat some dinner and they were up. Now back and it’s post game radio show “disappointment”.
    WTF, looks like the new Pen caved…

• zumiee said, on September 9, 2019 at 10:23 pm

Smith was out with a sore back. And, of course, already missing Watson and Moronta.

32. alleykat69 said, on September 9, 2019 at 10:47 pm

Yeah but they also didn’t start Gustave to close out the 9th, another brain fart moment for Bochy!!