Air Attack

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 9, 2020

Keep swinging the bats, keep the bombs coming. With our shaky pitching staff, there is simply no other way. I actually felt pretty confident even when we were down 5-1. Plenty of time to come back and the Mariners don’t hit too well, they blew they load early.

Is Smyly back? Who else we got ready to go? Hold on to your hats, our SP is going to be switched up and changed up for the rest of this run.

1. chipower9 said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:22 am

Great win. Another never say die comeback, and hold on for the W. I had to step away at 5-1 but in my mind I knew they could rally, as they have done it so often.

Agree…gonna be a wild ride. Hold on to your hats or whatever you can grab. Yippee Ki Yay, MoFos…

2. djloo27 said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:32 am

I never hear any talk of the Giants using an “opener” or planning a bullpen game.
    Does it make any sense for them?
    Wonder where Kotter stands on that…

• Flavor said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:50 am

Mr. K was on KNBR this am giving ALL the credit to the hitters for BUYING INTO the new hitting philosophy. It was quite striking how much credit he was giving the coaches.

• djloo27 said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:04 am

Seems like sooner or later we find out that management is usually a little smarter than us geniuses.
        Not always, but usually…

• Flavor said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:16 am

I’d be interested to hear from the players if they give that much credit to the new hitting philo

• djloo27 said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:18 am

Did Kotter give any credit to Zumiee’s uncanny use of Rally Chandler?

• chipower9 said, on September 9, 2020 at 10:56 am

Cannot recall who it was on postgame interview the other night, but they were giving big props to the hitting coaches for their approach, and preparing the hitters for the upcoming game. Think it was Belt.

• unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:43 am

With the middle of the pen in a fair amount of disarray, I don’t think the opener strategy would be viable. Getting Slymy back will help even more in settling a decent rotation. I hear Smargle may go to the pen. At least once he’s back.

3. gianthead said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:53 am

Another solid baseball win last night…

4. willedav said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:53 am

Gutty W really surprised Webb lasted as long as he did. Power bombs and 4 shutout innings from pen held them off. Bottom order guys filling in nicely, everyone seems to be hitting. Kapler pushing (mostly) all the right buttons lately.

5. Irish Kevin said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:58 am

Why did Kap leave the starter in for so long? Hit 2 batters and walked 2 in the first couple of innings. Does not sound like great strategy.

• djloo27 said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:11 am

He wanted Seattle to get overconfident…

• alleykat69 said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:25 am

Lulz 😂
        Webb’s starts of late are very excruciating to watch.
        5 runs in the 1st 3 innings , hits the same batter twice in a row, walks, 3-2 counts up the kazoo,
        I’m screaming pull his ass, to deaf ears,as Kotter was determined to get his 5 innings out of him
        even if he gave up 7-8 runs..

• chipower9 said, on September 9, 2020 at 10:57 am

Yeah, that was it…😉

• unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:36 am

Mainly because a couple days ago, Cahill left having only pitched 2 innings. He was trying to save the pen.

Also, according to Mr. Kotter, he talked to Webb after the 2nd inning and said you can go 5 or 6. Move on and get your sghit together, or some such motivation. A teachable moment for a young pitcher.

• chipower9 said, on September 9, 2020 at 11:00 am

I like that. Showing confidence in a young starter to get it together early in a game.

• chipower9 said, on September 9, 2020 at 10:57 am

Well, you don’t want to go to the pen early. My guess is that was the reason.

• Carstie Clausen said, on September 9, 2020 at 3:11 pm

Toughing him up for the heavy combat for the loaded lineups he will soon need to face.

6. James said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:06 am

How will the red twilight test those pop up skills?

• unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:40 am

Let’s hope this isn’t orange ball night.

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 11:07 am

They’re shopping for night vision specs that’ll fit under Joey’s mask.

7. snarkk said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:29 am

The weather looks like we’re living in the middle of Total Recall…

• unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:42 am

I thought is was bad yesterday. It is nearly completely dark right now. Just watched that movie with my son as couple weeks ago. Good shit.

8. Bozo said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:34 am

Over .500, keep em coming.

@sandog – I stopped by Digger’s Dungeon on my way back from Connecticut the other day and I took a few photos, do ya want me to send them on?

• sandog said, on September 9, 2020 at 10:40 am

Would love to see ’em.
      petekrahling@gmail.com

DId you see I tried your marinade? Good stuff—though a tad hot for a tenderfoot like me. Will probably leave out the jalapeno next time.

• Bozo said, on September 9, 2020 at 10:49 am

Glad the marinade worked, I like the added spice from the jalapenos but I’m sure it’ll work just fine without them.
        I’ll send along the pics.

• chipower9 said, on September 9, 2020 at 11:02 am

Hey Clown – can you post that marinade, again, please?

• Bozo said, on September 9, 2020 at 11:41 am

Here ya go Chi. Like I said on the original post it works well as a base before adding a BBQ sauce at the end, or just by itself. Some folks I know liked using it when they were cutting down on salt in their diet.

Bozo said, on August 27, 2020 at 11:05 am (Edit)
        This is a kind of a Caribbean marinade for chicken that makes a great base for grilled chicken. I say base because this is a baseball blog and I usually mop some BBQ sauce on the chicken as well, although it works fine on it’s own.

Juice a couple of oranges, a couple of lemons and a couple of limes.
        Add to that a few chopped garlic coves (I usually go with 3),
        a few sliced and stemmed jalapenos (I usually use 2 and I leave the seeds in but more or less can be used and you can seed them if ya want),
        Also include 1 TBSP of chili powder and a tsp each of cumin and cayenne.
        marinade your bird parts for an hour or two before grilling.
        There ya have it, chicken with big flavor and giant tastes.

Lets play two.

• unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 11:44 am

Sounds awesome. I have some chicken I need to cook tonight so I’ll give that a shot,

9. sandog said, on September 9, 2020 at 10:45 am

I’ve been on “Evacuation Warning” status at my place due to the Valley Fire since the weekend.
    Conditions are cooler now with a tad of moisture in the air today, so I am hoping my place is going to be fine.
    I’m ready to go quickly if needed. So far only one extended power outage and I’m back in business now.

Good buddy of mine lost his family cabin that they have had for years in the Creek Fire near Shaver Lake. I’ve been there and it was a great place in a beautiful area.

10. djloo27 said, on September 9, 2020 at 10:48 am

Just awful what you guys are going through out there…

11. Bozo said, on September 9, 2020 at 10:52 am

Agree with Loo. Stay safe y’all.

12. zumiee said, on September 9, 2020 at 10:54 am

I know some people that had to evacuate a house in the Plumas fire area. The fire that is heading towards Oroville. Hopefully the house is OK.

13. willedav said, on September 9, 2020 at 11:04 am

According to Heyman, giants signed Justin Smoak. jeez every time I hear that word…

• Carstie Clausen said, on September 9, 2020 at 3:16 pm

Didn’t surprise me a bunch. Was mulling over that possibility as soon as reading of his release.

14. chipower9 said, on September 9, 2020 at 11:04 am

I hate hearing about the losses. Right now no fires in our immediate area. Still no power. It has been lit since late Monday night. Generator is keeping things humming, but loss of power equals loss of wifi (internet), too. They are saying potential restoration soon.

• unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 11:45 am

Damn. That sucks, Chi. Is Blade out of power as well?

• Carstie Clausen said, on September 9, 2020 at 3:16 pm

Will keep those fingers crossed for you.

15. Flavor said, on September 9, 2020 at 11:17 am

Smoak is a great pick up. Big power. He”ll fit right in. Feels like a “pat Burrell” pick up

16. Flavor said, on September 9, 2020 at 11:18 am

I had to drive up to San Mateo for work today. It’s like fucking nighttime at 11am this is crazy, never seen this before

17. snarkk said, on September 9, 2020 at 11:20 am

California and the whole West is turning into Australia — which had devastating fires for several months last year. I read where biologists estimate 1 billion animals were killed, and that’s not counting ants. The High Sierra fires like the ones up near Shaver and Huntington Lakes and Mammoth Pool are fueled by years of drought and beetle kill of millions and millions of conifers. They are like kindling – so the fires have been moving at 1000 acres every 1/2 hour. When I was a kid, I used to go up with friends to Shaver in the summer, we water skied up there. Good times. Those mountain lakes (Shaver is at 5500) in summer, the thermocline starts at about 6 feet. I’ve fished at Huntington (7500′) in the winter — beautiful in the snow. And I used to ski up beyond Huntington, what used to be called China Peak when I was a kid. Now, Sierra Summit. Winter snows are decreasing. Skiing is a dying sport. Climate change is real…

• unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 11:47 am

Yeah, when you drive 50 into the Tahoe basin it is so sad to see thousands and thousands of dead and dying trees. They are like bombs when hit with fire.

My wife used to do insurance work for people displaced by fires and such, and the last one in that area was devastating.

• Winder said, on September 9, 2020 at 12:18 pm

It has been smokey as hell up here in Oregon the last few days. Lots of fires one is about 30 miles away but the wind just keeps blowing in our direction. Climate change. I truly feel sorry for those in the fires path with so much wind.

• Carstie Clausen said, on September 9, 2020 at 3:19 pm

46 degrees and drizzly here in Mn. Didn’t even venture outdoors today even though the air is plenty fresh. Cold and dank will give way to low 70’s (according to forecasts) next week.

18. alleykat69 said, on September 9, 2020 at 11:27 am

“I love the smell of napalm in the morning “

19. Macdog said, on September 9, 2020 at 11:36 am

I didn’t know Smoak was a switch-hitter. Sure, bring him aboard. Lots of fun to be had with that name.

20. zumiee said, on September 9, 2020 at 12:33 pm

“fueled by years of drought and beetle kill of millions and millions of conifers.”

Yeah, the beetles that are killing so many trees, and making those trees such fuel for fire, are another effect of climate change. The colder weather that used to keep the beetles in check is disappearing, and the beetle population growth is thriving in the warmer weather.
    Climate change has ramifications that go everywhere, from the top of mountains to the bottom of oceans.

• Bozo said, on September 9, 2020 at 1:26 pm

During my 12+ years on the NC coast I sure have seen an increase in weather related events over those years here.

• djloo27 said, on September 9, 2020 at 2:09 pm

I thought you were a huge beetle fan, Zum!

• Carstie Clausen said, on September 9, 2020 at 3:23 pm

My suggestion for the Cali. Dept of Corrections and local pokeys still holds. Offer the no-present problems guys in stir five days off their sentences for every day they put in at least 8 hours cleaning out deadfall and brush on state and federal lands. Less strain on taxpayers. Less boredom and exposure to the virus for the guys.

21. snarkk said, on September 9, 2020 at 12:35 pm

There’s ashfall all over.
    It’s getting even more red out there.
    I think the Mars Rover just climbed onto my deck…

• Winder said, on September 9, 2020 at 3:02 pm

yeah, i didn’t realize how many spider webs were on the outside of our house until all the ash started sticking to them.

22. zumiee said, on September 9, 2020 at 12:35 pm

Yeah, the Smoak deal shows they’ve lost patience with Sandoval. The Pence and Sandoval signings were never all that good of signings, and then Sandoval showed up to camp in the same kind of shape he showed up to his first Red Sox camp.

23. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 9, 2020 at 1:17 pm

24. chipower9 said, on September 9, 2020 at 1:27 pm

1. Mike Yastrzemski (L) RF
    2. Donovan Solano (R) 2B
    3. Darin Ruf (R) LF
    4. Wilmer Flores (R) DH
    5. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    6. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
    7. Joey Bart (R) C
    8. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    9. Mauricio Dubon (R) CF
    P Tyler Anderson (L)

• Carstie Clausen said, on September 9, 2020 at 3:24 pm

Liking the looks of the lineup, but the pitching looks a bit tenuous.

25. Macdog said, on September 9, 2020 at 2:10 pm

Now I see what you guys out there are talking about. Surreal pictures. Certainly puts the orange in Orange and Black.

• djloo27 said, on September 9, 2020 at 2:14 pm

As if Marichal wasn’t tough enough to hit…

• alleykat69 said, on September 9, 2020 at 3:25 pm

Yeah the orange screwball would be extra effective for Juan..

• alleykat69 said, on September 9, 2020 at 2:35 pm

Yeah and it’s only 2:30 at Mars-Oracle Park right now!
      Even the cutouts are required to put their space masks on…

• willedav said, on September 9, 2020 at 2:39 pm

really odd. took walk 10 ish, all cloudy except for the orange sun, mid 60s out. Still dark right now, couldn’t read inside apt without turning on a light in mid afternoon. 2 days ago it was 100 and sunny here, and it was mid 80s in SF for night game.

• Carstie Clausen said, on September 9, 2020 at 3:27 pm

Photographer did well…caught some great color contrasting with the Juan and Only’s high-kicking statue.

26. snarkk said, on September 9, 2020 at 2:35 pm

You guys out there that are Breaking Bad fans:
    Twins separated at birth?:

Breaking Bad: Gang dude, meth cooker and stone cold murderer Todd Alquist (played by Jesse Plemons)
    Giants: Logan Webb

• zumiee said, on September 9, 2020 at 2:40 pm

They do look a lot alike.

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:02 pm

I’ve never gotten into Br Bad but I’m sure Dick resembles Sturgill Simpson. Sturgill plays the murderous racist cop at the beginning of Queen and Slim, with many close up shots. Very similar, although Dick seems to smile a lit mire.

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:03 pm

Lot more

27. alleykat69 said, on September 9, 2020 at 2:57 pm

Giants would have to add Smoak to the 28 man roster by Tuesday if he is to be eligible for postseason.
    They were looking to add a LH power bat supposedly to use off the bench.
    Hmmm end of the line for Panda?

• Carstie Clausen said, on September 9, 2020 at 3:36 pm

Looking forward to being able to post “Smoak-tit” right after Belted it.

28. sandog said, on September 9, 2020 at 3:27 pm

You know what else is real? We don’t do enough controlled burns of forest areas. No logging either. Just let it grow and grow lest a butterfly be harmed. There are forest trails from my youth that are long gone due to unchecked overgrowth. Regulations upon regulations now. Big government doing its thing.

Creates tons of fuel that contributes big time to these horrible fires.

29. Flavor said, on September 9, 2020 at 3:39 pm

cool pic

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 3:58 pm

Weren’t most high end jockies Black before jim crow took over?

• unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:05 pm

I think it was the stable guys who were Black. I think jockeys have been predominantly Mexican. But I defer to the experts here.

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:08 pm

I’m talking about the nineteenth century i guess. I’m sure i read somewhere that the majority of jockeys at the earliest ky derbies were Black.

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:19 pm

quick google: “13 of the 15 riders in that first Kentucky Derby were African-Americans . . . [and Black jockeys] won 15 of the first 28 runnings of the Kentucky Derby.”

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:41 pm

1619 project?

• djloo27 said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:04 pm

Pronounced “sweet” for the uninitiated and since you brought him up:

• unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:14 pm

Wow. What a cool story, Loo. What an awesome tribute to a wonderful man.

• djloo27 said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:15 pm

Grooms are the unsung heroes behind any great horse.
      They are completely devoted.
      Shotgun Hampton used to let me hose Forego’s legs…

30. unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:02 pm

Drive to South Lake Tahoe on 50 some time. The amount of dead trees is amazing. Thinning the fuel would help, as would clearing brush. Who pays though? More than half of the forests in CA are federally (mis)managed. Sure, a lot of that is due to Sierra Club folks stopping anything resembling forest management, but there has to be a happy medium somewhere. And no one wants to really do anything but throw up their hands and say “gee, what a terrible thing.”

Like towns on the Mississip building flood diversion canals. Shit makes too much sense to ever happen. Mainly because projects like that take longer than the usual politician’s cycle of office. N’Awlins is another prime example of passing the buck until it’s too late.

• Carstie Clausen said, on September 9, 2020 at 5:33 pm

Sierra Club has been deeply implicated in pushing destruction of forests to provide “alternative energy”—particuarly in Michigan. Dude who wrote “Roger and Me” did a major documentary on that.

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:55 pm

David Brower was a hero. Still is, I suppose. So is Michael Moore, but that’s a whole different story.

31. djloo27 said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:05 pm

From what I just saw on the news, it’s hard to believe they are playing a baseball game in San Francisco tonight…

• Macdog said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:09 pm

Oakland too.

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:12 pm

The air near the ground is clean. I went jogging earlier today. Cleaner air than a few days ago.

32. unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:16 pm

Yeah, what’s weird is the smoke is really high in the air. It isn’t near as smoky as last week. But there is a ton more ash in the air. Our cars are covered in ash. It is like walking on Mars.

https://ultrakillblast.com/post/178707919753/total-recall-1990 https://assets.tumblr.com/post.js

33. snarkk said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:33 pm

Trees is my back yard and the neighborhood are starting to look like they’ve got snow on the leaves…

34. Flavor said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:40 pm

there’s nothing wrong with the air quality, it’s like 84, that’s fine. Sky looks bad but air quality has been way way worse a few days ago.

35. xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:41 pm

I haven’t noticed much ash falling in Oakland. SF with a good west breeze will be fine. Glowering and infernal, but otherwise fine.

36. djloo27 said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:42 pm

I think if they were gonna cut Panda loose, it woulda happened already.
    He could be important to the team chemistry…

37. Winder said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:48 pm

Lots of low smoke here in the Willamette Valley.

• djloo27 said, on September 9, 2020 at 4:56 pm

Wilmet for short?

• Winder said, on September 9, 2020 at 6:19 pm

Lol. It could be.

38. xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 5:35 pm

Pablo as a backup 3B and emergency catcher has bench value, I guess. He actually hit better from the right side last year. So far this year, too, but the PAs are fairly few. Smoak in recent years has been better from the left side. Right now Basabe and Ruf look like the only vulnerable guys on the 28. Basabe made a very important play last night as a D replacement.

39. Flavor said, on September 9, 2020 at 5:45 pm

ouch.

40. unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 6:46 pm

Man, that stinks. One of my older sisters, Lulu, was really into funk, and ToP, War, and Kool & the Gang, Sly and the Family Stone were always part of her music selections. But it was my oldest sister Deb that took me to see Stevie Wonder in 1973 for the Innervisions tour. My first concert was one of my favorites.

• Flavor said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:40 pm

my first concert was Van Halen at the cow palace. Me and my buddies got wasted on Jack, I fiddled with some titties maybe 5o feet away from Diamond Dave on stage, then the next day I was re-telling the tale over our rotary phone to one of my buddies who missed the great event. Unbeknownst to me my mom was listening on the other end. She called all my friends and told their parents. Everyone was grounded for a week! All my fault! But those titties, man, I still remember them well……

• djloo27 said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:05 pm

• unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:55 pm

Did they open for Black Sabbath? Saw many a show at the Cow Palace.

• Flavor said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:59 pm

no this was 1984 they were headliners that night.

• unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:37 pm

Ahhh. I think it was 1980 for me.

41. Flavor said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:37 pm

Yamamoto is a reliever. This was his line tonight in the Braves game. Jeeeezus how does a RELIEVER stay in and give up this kind of carnage????
    J. Yamamoto 2.2 11 13 12 2 3 4 94-54 18.26

42. Bozo said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:37 pm

Yaz.

43. Macdog said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:38 pm

Get yer Yaz-Yaz out!

• Bozo said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:40 pm

Good one, Mac. Great LP and even greater LP cover.

44. zumiee said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:40 pm

The rips on the Sierra Club are overdone.
    There is plenty of blame on both sides of the political aisle for what’s happening.

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:09 pm

I don’t think Michael Moore’s slight dispute with the Sierra Club had anything to do with forest conservation or stewardship. Like any big org, SC is not perfect. But . . . .

45. alleykat69 said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:46 pm

Just another Yaz Bomb 💣 A 3Run special..

46. xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:47 pm

Ruf bad break. Froze. Wtf? Oh. Then it was too late.

47. xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:47 pm

Smoak’s chances of making the 28 increased just a bit there.

• Bozo said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:49 pm

Dude, looked like a deer in the headlights.

• Bozo said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:51 pm

Oops, that was supposed to be under the Ruf comment.

48. unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:53 pm

Wow. Adventures in the outfield continue.

49. unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:57 pm

Seeing eye double for Wilburrrrrrr

50. alleykat69 said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:58 pm

Ruf’s only here for his bat.He stinks in the field.

• Flavor said, on September 9, 2020 at 7:59 pm

and that’s fine. Hitting is what these dudes do. It’s starting to feel a LOT like the water buffalo team, right?

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:10 pm

Wasabi may have saved the game last night.

51. Flavor said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:04 pm

Duvall has 9 RBI’s tonight in the 7th inning. Somewhere Bass Baldy is like “Fuck you Big Flavor!!!!!!!’

• James said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:07 pm

He is 2.0

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:11 pm

Bass is a good guy. He’d never say that to the esteemed Big Flavor.

52. James said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:06 pm

Any sign of defensive incompetence always seems to create a reaction incommensurate with the crime. Makes sense, in that these are more clearly screw ups by the culprit that don’t have as much to do with what the opposing player has done right.

• zumiee said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:12 pm

Plus the nature of baseball, with defensive players out on their islands. It’s amazing they can even function. I’m continually impressed by it.

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:12 pm

crime? criminy. An OF who can’t read the ball off the bat is an OF who can’t read the ball off the bat.

• James said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:20 pm

But he’ll read most of those correctly, even as a crap OFer. You have a very high standard and a . . . refined sense of defensive aesthetics 🙂

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:26 pm

There’s a reason why Basabe took over late last night in LF. Kap’s move was Bochy-esk. Helped win the game. Because Ruf ain’t good enough? Well, maybe you’re right. Maybe that’s extreme. But is he a good compromise?

53. unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:14 pm

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

54. unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:16 pm

Christ, judging ball off the bat is something you learn when you are a kid. It shouldn’t be as hard as these guys make it. The water buffalos were slow, but if they got there they usually made the catch, and they at least had a read on the ball off the bat. It wasn’t this hard.

55. zumiee said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:18 pm

Marvin Benard played some terrible outfield.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:28 pm

Marvin “Incoming!” Benard……

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:30 pm

But my younger son, a great hitter later, learned how to bunt by watching Benard when he (my son) was three. So ….

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:41 pm

Benard could indeed bunt…

56. alleykat69 said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:26 pm

So did Fred Lewis, just don’t tell James that( oops 🙊)

• James said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:38 pm

Fred did some goofy shit out there, Kat, but he actually did very little . . . damage in the grand scheme of things. I still remember the time he got to a ball in the gap most SF LFers never would have reached and it ticked off his glove ala Yaz. The outrage this generated was pretty funny.

• sandog said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:48 pm

Fred’s D used to trigger me big time. Probably more than it should have.

Thanks for that article James.

• James said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:10 pm

You’re welcome! I don’t remember if I told you, but my daughter is actually getting her doctorate at UCD in Civil & Envi Engi, and her specialization is air quality.

57. djloo27 said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:28 pm

I don’t remember ever seeing McCovey in the OF, but I’ve heard it wasn’t a pretty sight…

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:32 pm

Isn’t that a whole different kind of risk/benefit deal?

• alleykat69 said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:32 pm

Yeah he played some LF when he 1st came up.He could run pretty good before the knees started to bark.Splitting time with Cepeda at 1st, before they traded him to the Cards in another shitty trade..

58. djloo27 said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:35 pm

59. Macdog said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:36 pm

I saw this M’s reliever pitch a couple shutout innings and get the win for the Mets vs. the Yanks almost two weeks ago, then he was DFA’d after the game. Didn’t know Seattle scooped him up.

60. Bozo said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:38 pm

Nice.

61. alleykat69 said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:39 pm

Adam Duvall line is insane 3 for 4 ..3 HR’s 2 run shot, 3 run shot, and for shits and giggles a Grandslam! For 9 RBI’s
    Throw in 2 walks and he also scored 5 runs!

• Macdog said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:41 pm

Didn’t Duvall hit 3 HRs in a game last week too?

• Carstie Clausen said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:50 pm

Some of the Z & H dumpster diving pickups have combined to make up for Duvall becoming other than the Giant for which he was reared and brought up. Sometimes even the best analysts don’t get it right the first time. Giants have given up on a lot of talents over the years. The current crop has been reaped from all over the MLB map.

62. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:41 pm

Those of you in the Bay Area… a friend who lives in SF sent me a pic on WhatsApp that shows a bridge in the foreground (a little unclear which bridge) and towering flames on land behind the bridge. She labeled it “San Francisco”. At first I thought it was the GG bridge, which would mean the Marin Headlands are on fire. Then I thought maybe it was the Bay Bridge, which would mean the East Bay hills are on fire. But I haven’t heard about that. Maybe a bridge in San Diego? Oregon? I guess my question is, are the Headlands or East Bay hills on fire??

• djloo27 said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:46 pm

Well I know Duvall is…

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:48 pm

• unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:52 pm

Sounds like photoshop. There are fire all over but nothing near SF.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:57 pm

Ok, thanks….

63. Macdog said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:43 pm

Tyler Anderson and Johnny Cueto:

64. Macdog said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:48 pm

Is it possible that the outfielders are having a hard time on some of these line drives because the ball is juiced?

65. djloo27 said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:52 pm

Dickerson’s built like Baby Huey…

66. unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:53 pm

Dick Dick Dick!!! WE are on fire

67. Macdog said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:55 pm

Like Loo last night, and here I was about to second-guess Dick for Ruf.

68. unca_chuck said, on September 9, 2020 at 8:55 pm

En fuego

69. zumiee said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:03 pm

Paul, that bridge is probably the one in the Oroville area. I’ll look for a photo.

70. Carstie Clausen said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:05 pm

Jeeze. Was I wrong about Anderson. Three hits, zero runs after six full at 100 pitches even money. Guess one shouldn’t necessarily go by a pitcher’s most recent performance. Maybe all that support by the batters gives a guy some extra edge in relieving the tension and letting them simply flow. Doesn’t work with all hurlers, some of whom thrive under pressure, but not might could be true in this case. But he earned a nice big, fat (W) tonight and chances are decent that he will get it.

71. zumiee said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:11 pm

The Bidwell Bar Bridge, in the Oroville general area. A classic old bridge.
    I have some relatives in that general area, and have driven across that bridge many times.

• zumiee said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:18 pm

The water is Lake Oroville. A good distance East of Chico, in foothills of the Sierra.
      A massive fire is burning down the slopes of the hills in that area.

• Carstie Clausen said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:19 pm

Looks like Christmas morning in hell.

72. Carstie Clausen said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:18 pm

They found the right spot for Gott–7th inning with a 10 run lead. He still lost C&C,so it took a little mound visit off “hey, just let em try and hit it.” Simple philosophy, but it seemed to work that time. If Seattle is so desperate relief, maybe they should offer a full bag of used balls for him. Could be Z & Would take up on that.

73. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:26 pm

Ah, thanks, Zum. Now I can see the true scale. In the pic I received, couldn’t tell at all the scale, it looked like a bigger bridge and the hills also looked bigger.

74. Carstie Clausen said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:30 pm

Anybody else notice? Seems to me that the arrival of Bart coincided pretty closely with the team’s ascension into some level of respectability. Appears he’s marking time, looking to make contact more than driving the ball. Fine by me if that’s the case. Breaking into The Show and maintaining an above average BA is no small feat of and by itself. It’s particularly true when you take on the responsibility of running the show on the field from the catbird seat behind the plate.

• zumiee said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:38 pm

Well said. He’s doing just fine, all things considered, in my opinion.

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:46 pm

No. They brought him up because they could, because things on the team were coming together, making it possible to gamble that Bart’s offensive production would outweigh his behind the plate liability. His SO rate is bad; his OPS is ok; and ask Cueto about his D. Bart’s along for the ride; he ain’t carrying nothing. But he’s contributing.

• zumiee said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:52 pm

Or, you know, you could root for the guy.

• xoot said, on September 9, 2020 at 10:01 pm

He’s not running any show on the field. Hell, he still doesn’t understand the signal shifts with runners on base. I am rooting for him. But I’m not unrealistic. The $7M man isn’t real good, so far.

75. Macdog said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:38 pm

There goes the shutout.

• Carstie Clausen said, on September 9, 2020 at 9:44 pm

It was fine to let them have at Rico Garcia, who just got rescued from smoky SacTown three days ago. It’s fine to beat em but good while not QUITE humiliating them. Looking at his total ML ERA (over a small time-frame), Garcia’s performance was actually a notch better than his average to date.