A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Finding Things To Worry About

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 22, 2013

I went back to February 2011 to see what we were talking about in regards to the Giants upcoming season. It seems we were inventing things to worry about. After you win a World Series, there isn’t much to do besides B-A-S-K. In hindsight, we should have been worrying about all of our aging players who had career years in 2010 turn into flops in 2011. Here’s a thread I wrote on what I thought were the biggest upcoming concerns for the 2011 season:

2011

If I had to list off 5 things that CANNOT happen to the Giants in 2013, I probably couldn’t think of 5 to list. I think I can think of 2:

1) They can’t have more than one of their starting pitchers go down or be ineffective.

2) Buster Posey can’t get injured again. In 2011, I tried to avoid jinxing it by not writing the word injury and look how that turned out. I’m also not as frightened of this outcome as I was in 2/2011 because at least Hector is a little warmer than the un-dead stuff we as a back up backstop going into that season.

Can you guys think of anything else that would torpedo our 2013 season?

1. gianthead said, on February 22, 2013 at 6:54 am

Lincecum in a drug sting…nah, that would probably have no effect.

But I think this year may all be about Tim-May. If he regains his dominant form after shedding his hair and hopefully his bad mechanics, he may return to his status as The Man in the rotation for the next 5-6 years. If he struggles, this is probably the end of the road for one of the most gifted and great Giants of all time.

I could see us being just over .500 this year and could see Pagan and Pence have off years, which would save us money on Pence down the line, but we are going to have Pagan for 3 more years. That Bourn contract looks like the steal of the year so far with the Indians.

2. Nipper said, on February 22, 2013 at 7:05 am

Earthquake that splits SF in two.

• Nipper said, on February 22, 2013 at 7:09 am

Then a tsunami that washes ATT out to sea.

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 22, 2013 at 7:52 am

Staying healthy is the key. Just like for every other club. After reading Baggs column on Roger Kieschnick I am hoping he forces his way onto the roster by mid to late summer. Otherwise I think Sabean will be making a move to strengthen LF but it would be so much better to cover it from within.

4. willedav said, on February 22, 2013 at 8:02 am

Dang, Nip that’s brutal…I thought i was gonna doom it up.
    Pitching would be #1 for me—Lincecum cannot regain command of fastball, Zito reverts to pre-2012 form, and he and vogs become true #5s like most other teams are stuck with. And zero ready replacements for above.
    Pence hits like he did last year, Pagan and blanco struggle to get on base. Giants have some flyball pitchers, so OF defense cannot take a hit.
    Hey, I like what they did last year, but I think OF is the trouble spot. If pitching takes a downturn I could see return of “torture” type games where they struggle to score enough.
    Funny you mention 2011, I was thinking about it this morning (re: the beltran argument). Rent/Uribe left, ross turned back into a league avg. player, burrell torres and huff fell off the map, SS and 2b were manned by the likes of Tejada, O Cab, and Font, and of course eli, who could neither hit nor catch a baseball. And the f-ing DBs just hammered the ball against us, and doofus gibson is mgr. of the year. What a nightmare year—sanchez of course never got out of ST, and everyone worried if Posey could play again, ever.

5. chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 8:05 am

One thing that I think could have a huge impact would be if Pablo just “completely tanked.” Sure, based on what we have seen, it probably is not going to happen, but that is one thing that, if it happened, I believe would have grave consequences.

Without Pablo, who do you have? Arias? He has been brilliant in spurts (think August after Melky left)…he was phenominal. But you won’t get that production from him in anything but spurts like August. BTW, his numbers in August once Melk was gone were: .417 .438 .717 1.154, 3 HRs and 15 RBIs.

• Flavor said, on February 22, 2013 at 8:08 am

Well they did win their 2010 title with him contributing almost nothing

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 8:19 am

They had Uribe in 2010, too. I am just saying…looking at the projected 25 (and they will add a another utility guy), I just think it could have a major impact on their ability to compete for the division, etc.

6. Alleykat said, on February 22, 2013 at 8:21 am

Posey is a key for sure.We could have been looking at 3 straight W/S championships if he didn’t go down in 11.He is that good,and the team knows it.
    And yeah,im still looking for a “Full” season out of Panda.107-108 games the last 2 years is not enough.

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 9:19 am

Agree…many forget that the Giants were in 1st place on that fateful day when Buster went down. I do not think you can underestimate what he means to the team.

7. xoot said, on February 22, 2013 at 8:23 am

I’m ambivalent about the WBC. Vogey and almost the entire pen will be in it. Pagan, Torres, Scutaro and, last I heard, Pablo, will be there. Bochy said yesterday that to get the WBC guys prepared to play the team is increasing their early ST innings (except for Pablo, who spent all winter eating and hitting in the Venezuela league–he’ll be in the gym being abused by a dietician and a trainer). I think I’d prefer a well-paced, routine ST aimed to renew and repeat. But maybe that’s over-cautious bullshit. Maybe the WBC will work the other way around. A wide-open ST full of guys who wouldn’t’ve played much without the WBC absences may produce some good surprises, and the WBC guys may come back loose and ready to go. Either way, the WBC can have a big impact on the season.

Specific concern: Pagan, Scutaro, Pablo and Pence don’t all have to have career years, but the team will need at least three of them to excel. I think we can count on Buster if he has some real help at the top of the LU.

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 8:30 am

I am not sure that three of them have to “excel,” but I do think we need them to have the types of years we expect of them. We certainly cannot have more than one of them totally tank.

I believe if the team stays healthy overall, that they will be alright and will have a good year. Without any major injuries, I am predicting somewhere in the neighborhood of 94 wins and a NL West title.

• xoot said, on February 22, 2013 at 10:23 am

Well, there are ways it can average out over the season — three excelling for a while, another stepping up while one cools off, etc. If all four have good years, I think that’ll do it. Now if the bottom of the LU produces, too, then things’ll really be interesting.

8. chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 8:25 am

I just caught up on yesterday’s thread (from when I bailed in the afternoon). Flavor, as many have said, you absolutely did the right thing. I am impressed as hell at what you did in relation to the situation with Michael.

Twin, you are in my thoughts, my friend. I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

Sorry to hear all the crap that you and Chico are experiencing. While I have met only a couple of you in person, over the years you guys (and gal) have become like family. This blog is MONEY…and it is because of your putting it out there for us Craig, and the Flappers that frequent, that make it so very special. Flavor and Chico…I wish you both the best as you deal with the shit that life has dealt you.

I truly hope the Flapalooza 3 comes off later this year (Orange Sombrero day), as it will be an honor to meet many of you in person.

Make it an awesome day, Flappers!

• willedav said, on February 22, 2013 at 8:58 am

Agreed. I’m always telling b-ball kids it’s about making the right decisions, on and off court, quickly and decisively. what flav did was great…hope things work out for best.

9. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 22, 2013 at 8:33 am

Anyone else see the reports of Papelbon claiming there is no leadership in Philadelphia? Does this mean he’ll be bringing the 12 pack and bucket of chicken for midgame snacks on opening day?

10. Bozo said, on February 22, 2013 at 8:44 am

Health is the key. From the Pitching to the other Ps (Posey, Pablo, Pagan and Pence), Ss (Scutaro and Sabes) and the Bs (Brandons, Blanco and Bochy). Yes, I mentioned Bochy and Sabes, I think they are both key in keeping things rolling.
    And, I should also mention the Fs (Flappers and Fans) we all gotta stay healthy to keep things fired up!

11. Salty said, on February 22, 2013 at 9:06 am

Obviously losing Buster or a top starter would be a severe blow but, they overcame an awful lot of adversity last yr and even in 2011, they were right there in August.
    Think my biggest concern is the number of innings pitched the last few years by Cain, Bum and Lincecum. Feel reasonably confident that the lineup will produce enough runs and the defense and pen will be top notch.

12. chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 9:41 am

This is not huge news, but was a side-note on a story about the Giants participating in the WBC, it was noted that Conor Gillaspie has just been traded to the White Sox for pitcher Jeff Sopiac (21 years old…3-3 with a 5.09 ERA over two years in the minors). The big news is that Sopiac will NOT be on the 40 man roster, and Gillaspie was…thereby opening up a slot on the 40.

• Bozo said, on February 22, 2013 at 10:31 am

I think Gillaspie was also out of options and didn’t have much chance to win the last infield spot. So good trade for the Giants (IMO).

13. Salty said, on February 22, 2013 at 9:57 am

Also read the Big Sadowski is back!

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 10:19 am

37 pitchers in camp….

• Salty said, on February 22, 2013 at 10:23 am

Yeah, I love that they will give these guys a look. After vogelsong’s remarkable comeback,, why not?

14. shaman138 said, on February 22, 2013 at 10:18 am

Wow, you really nailed it with putting “injuries” on the top of your 5 concerns, and then putting the concern of Buster getting hurt on that list, too. Both of those nightmare scenarios occurred and you also happened to mention “watching DVRs of 2010 by early August”. The 2011 season effectively ended when Scott Cousins rammed into Posey in that Marlin game…but the ensuing injuring to almost EVERYBODY didn’t help, either. The hideous Beltran and Orlando Cabrera trades began the downward spiral in…yes..early August. And then the Snakes just started playing out of their minds made the latter half of 2011 utterly gruesome. I think we’ll be much better off this year, however, and Posey won’t get injured again. I also think Belt is going to be explosive this year. The only REAL concern is the Freak–I don’t really have much faith in him as a starting pitcher anymore, to be honest. But, then again, nobdoy had faith in Zito at this time last year, either.

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 10:20 am

I beg to differ (and this is totally on a hunch/gut…nothing else), but I think Tim has a good year this year.

15. Alleykat said, on February 22, 2013 at 10:21 am

Yeah i saw that Chi…Might as well get some young pitcher Rags and the minor league coaches.can develop.Conor and his noodle arm and lousy glove had no future here.

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 11:09 am

Agree…and it opens a spot on the 40 man…

16. TedSpe said, on February 22, 2013 at 10:28 am

Strange but I have no concerns whatsoever. Phenomenally benign off-season—Sandoval’s a little chubby but he must be in baseball shape as he’s been playing ball over in that South American place he’s from that I always get confused with that other South American place that he’s not from so I’m not even going to try to name it as I have no geographic sense whatsoever considering I get lost just trying to get back to San Francisco from that other city we had the Flapalooza last year that I can’t remember the name of but I kept ending up in San Jose in a kind of weird Groundhog Day scenario but it was actually at night so I guess it’s really a Groundhog Night scenario but Bill Murray’s funnier than—wait—where was I going with this?

• Bozo said, on February 22, 2013 at 10:33 am

“wait—where was I going with this?” – South San Francisco, I think.

• James said, on February 22, 2013 at 11:07 am

There have been no ML players from Uruguay or Paraguay.

• James said, on February 22, 2013 at 11:12 am

No players have been born in Columbia, either, although Colombia has produced a few.

• unca_chuck said, on February 22, 2013 at 11:29 am

Venezuela?

17. James said, on February 22, 2013 at 10:57 am

My only real worry is where the Giants are in the standings when they visit New York. As long as they are still at least in contention for a playoff spot then, I’ll be happy. A secondary concern is how well the Yankees and Mets are doing at that time. I’m hoping for more ticket supply than demand.

18. snarkk said, on February 22, 2013 at 11:03 am

You can fret about everything, but this team runs on pitching. So, that would be my main concern:
    1. A starter goes down for a lengthy period, or the season. There is no obvious replacement.
    2. Romo’s elbow seizes up after a lot of work and is out for a considerable period. I know the Pen dudes are good at juggling, but that would be a major deal that would take time to shake out.
    3. Pence hits around .220 with suckage OBP and less than or near only a 20 HR pace. He needs to produce near his career numbers…

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 11:13 am

Agree on the team runs on pitching comment.

I said the other day that I am less concerned about Pence’s BA, but that I thought it key that he hits near his average in HRs and RBIs (25/94).

19. Alleykat said, on February 22, 2013 at 11:31 am

Not to worried about VanGough.He gets his first full year with the club,he did knock in 45 runs in less then half a season,he will be fine 25 jacks 100 Ribbys sounds about right.Hits about .275-280.

• snarkk said, on February 22, 2013 at 11:45 am

I’d like to pencil him in for that, Kat. Maybe he just needs to get used to ATT. As a RHer, he doesn’t need to be freaked by the Death Valley in RF and Rcenter. HRs go out pretty well to LF and LCenter, and with his speed, if he goes with some pitches he should get plenty of doubles and some triples in Death Valley…

20. snarkk said, on February 22, 2013 at 11:52 am

Then again, the loss of Theriot could be devastating…

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 11:58 am

That is one guy I had seriously hoped the Giants could retain. He fits the need…guy who can play 2nd, SS, and 3rd (and some corner OF in a pinch), and is a grinder in those important ABs as a PHer…

Most importantly…there is not a better “good luck charm” in all of baseball…

• snarkk said, on February 22, 2013 at 12:01 pm

If I were a GM with a 25th spot open and a contending team, I’d pick up Theriot just for the rabbit’s foot effect. I think it works only with a new team every year…

21. twinfan1 said, on February 22, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I’m among the living- I posted on the last couple threads , my thanks.
    But especially thanks to Craig and Snarkk. And best wishes to Chico.
    good news it’s not tumor that caused the seizure, but it was a seizure, Dr. Sneed said that it may last off and on for a few days, though.More meds, though.

• Chico said, on February 22, 2013 at 12:18 pm

You know, I checked out your blog yesterday for the first time in a while – saw the great news, congratulated you on it – then I immediately checked out the Flap and saw what nobody ever wants to see, all in about 5 minutes time.. Glad to see you’re alright Mike. It’s pretty cool to see how Snarkk and BF handled the situation too.. Now THAT’S a sense of community!

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Michael – so glad to see you here. Wishing you (and yours) the best as you sort through the seizures and all.

• Ted Spe said, on February 22, 2013 at 12:43 pm

More meds. of course. Welcome back

22. Chico said, on February 22, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I’m not going to bring up the (I) word because this same time in 2011 I brought up some concerns on the Splash and BAM, I jinxed it.. To me, the most important thing is the bullpen. If they can continue to perform like they have, I think we’re in good shape.. I have a feeling Belt is going to have a good year… Crawford, too.

23. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 22, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Personally I am hoping for “Come on Down!” to make a comeback in 2013 blog headlines.

24. xoot said, on February 22, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Schulman’s reporting that Bochy has set a ST rotation in an order he expects to use when the season starts: Cain, Bum, Lincecum, Zito, Vogey.

• snarkk said, on February 22, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I think that’s a vote of confidence in Timmeh.
      Zito doesn’t give an S where he is in the rotation, and being 5th might piss Vogey off more than usual, and he’ll grind even harder.
      Good job all around on Bochy…

• Chico said, on February 22, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Zito goes 4th, home opening starter.. Good for him!

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 12:50 pm

That will be bad ass. You really could not go wrong with either Zito or Vogie. Can’t wait for Opening Day!

25. snarkk said, on February 22, 2013 at 12:32 pm

BF may not like this, but that’s just tough toenails. 😉

You guys can read yesterday’s posts and figure out what happened. Bottom line, BF was more than just a guy who runs a sports blog. He was a dude, a young dad, that took the bull by the horns when it looked like one of our own was in real trouble, and he made an effort to help in a very real way. As it turned out, Oracle was already headed to the ER, but there was no way for BF to know that, so he did what he did. Hopefully, things are going to turn out OK for Oracle, looks like they are.

That little event spurred me to think a bit. Even though most of us don’t know each other here, and even though some of us have maybe met just a time or two at the Flapaloozas, I feel a real kinship with you Flappers. The back and forth on the Giants is great and fun and all that, and sometimes we get into it a little bit. 😉 But, when the little, personal snippets come out from Flappers about their lives every now and then, that’s when I really, really dig the Flap. It shows a shared humanity among us that gives me optimism, which in your mid 50s, is no small thing. Hopefully, that doesn’t sound corny to you. Optimism in the face of some pretty crappy stuff these days. Kids getting murdered right and left in our schools and in our streets, old folks getting stiffed on medical care, people losing their homes, schools turning to crap, politicians doing what they’re told by their puppetmasters instead of what’s right, the problems are endless that we can all rant about.

But, in this little slice of ether, the strength and uniqueness of the human spirit makes itself known fairly often. To me, anyway. Yesterday, what BF did won’t save the world. But, it showed off just a piece of what’s best about the human spirit. And, he made me feel just a little bit better about the human race. I think that’s worth something, maybe a lot…

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Could not have said it any better in regards to the way I feel about this community…and it is a community. As I said earler, I hope the Flapalooza 3 goes down, and I look forward to meeting as many of you Flappers as possible, in person.

Kudos again to Craig for his actions, and best wishes to Twin, Craig, and Chico as they deal with the struggles in their lives.

And on the topic of baseball…here is a nice article from Baggs on Kieschnick. I’m really pulling for this kid. Would love to see him have a big spring and make the big club.

• snarkk said, on February 22, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Nice article.
        Good to hear the kid has some patience to his ABs. And, he played winter ball, so he should be in playing shape heading into Scottsdale. That means we should see him at full capability. At 26, he doesn’t have much more time to screw around in the minors…

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I followed him a bit in the Dominican Winter League. He was doing great up to one point (hitting low .300s), then had an 0-20 bit that dropped his average to .228 (think that was where his Winter league bit ended). Certainly hopeful to see him in action while we are in Scottsdale. Unless he just pukes all over himself, I think he has a good chance to make the club as the 5th OFer. Would be great to have a power-hitting LHer off the bench who can also play some in the field.

• Salty said, on February 22, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I’m pulling for him, too. Don’t know about being ‘favorably compared” to Nate and Ortmeier though…

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I know Salt…I was kind of chuckling about that…I sure as hell would not want to be “favorably compared.” Fuck that…I would be saying “Let’s write a new chapter, in that I (Kieschnick) become the new everyday LFer.”

26. chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 1:22 pm

As Xoot reported earlier, Baggs is now confirming that Bochy will indeed use that rotation to start the regular season. That means that Zito will be on the bump for the home opener. With the Deadbirds on the other side of the equation that day…I think that kicks ass!

27. ewisco said, on February 22, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Had to work late last night and then the boys had baseball from 8 – 9:30 so just catching up. I’m blown away by the performance of BF and the Flap. Thoughts and prayers out to Twin and his wife and actually, all y’all. Hope to see you at the ballpark in sept.

28. Alleykat said, on February 22, 2013 at 1:51 pm

12:32 POTD Snarkk!!!
    Yeah it’s really great that the Flap.have alot of caring folks.Extra Props to you,Craig and others to go the extra mile yesterday for Michael!!
    And Michael best to you and your family,and please not scare the shit out of all the Flappers & Flapperettes if possible again.We all have each other’s back here,and hope you know that in any curcamstances(sp).

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I second that, Kat!

29. Salty said, on February 22, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Zito’s turnaround another remarkable story from last yr. Remember there were rumblings he came to camp out of shape (Jenkins wrote a scathing piece), he was tinkering with his freaking delivery again, and he started out ST with a horrible outing. Who would have bet he’d even be in the rotation by Sept let alone be the postseason savior?

Now he comes to camp in great shape, confident with the post season swagger still evident. Maybe he has saved the best for last. I’d love to see him with 188 innings with 2 starts to go and see what the G’s do. 😉

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Me, too! Especially if those 188 innings include some lights-out pitching. If the option doesn’t automatically kick-in (200 innings), and if he is pitching lights-out, I say tear-up any thoughts about a buy-out and offer him one and an option for 10 mil per year. He already has more than enough money than he will ever need, and he has openly stated that he wants to retire in the Orange and Black. I think a good contract that allows him to do exactly that would be really cool. Again, this is all contingent on him having a good year. And just like I feel that Belt, Crawdad, and Tim will have good years, I think think Barry will have a good year, too.

30. pawliekokonuts said, on February 22, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I can’t top either the wisdom or the humor (humour, for Brits) or the doomer-ness (Nipper beat me to it) here. Have not lurked here much; just learned news about Michael (TwinFan). Best wishes, as always, on those serious matters, Mike.

31. Alleykat said, on February 22, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I will go out on a limb/ledge right now and predict both Brandon Crawford & Brandon Belt will need to make room on their fireplace mantles for their “Gold Gloves” awarded at the end of the season.Probably Buster as well.
    Aj Ellis of the hated Dodgers already came out on his LA blog saying Crawford is the real deal,best smooth fielding SS snd rifle arm their is.
    Props from a Dodger? But what the hell, he is alright and showed alot of class with that statement.

32. pawliekokonuts said, on February 22, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I read a blog piece by Baggs or someone that Hunter Pence doesn’t mind spring training; said he likes the bus trips for reading time. So, my marketing genius kicked in (well, if I were a genius I’d be rolling in money as I sleep), and I sent him a copy of WORLD SERIOUS, c/o the Giants at Scottsdale Stadium. “I heard you like to read. Enjoy.” And I thanked him and his teammates for that ring. (We shall see if this yields anything whatsoever. If he opens it up, he will become instantly aware of The Flap. Uh-oh.)

• chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 3:12 pm

That’s cool, Pawlie. Pence “lurking on The Flap?” Hmmm…

• snarkk said, on February 22, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Hey Pence — Ya Fuckwad!
        Start hitting, stop swinging at crap, and keep those RBIs coming!
        😉 …

33. chipower9 said, on February 22, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Our boys are 14-1 to go Back-to-Back.

Ah…it’s nice to be settled into that underdog role, again…

• snarkk said, on February 22, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I like the Rodney Dangerfield role.
      Detroit is at 8-1 to win the WS, and Giants are at 14-1. Amusing.
      Didn’t the Giants just kick their ass? I seem to remember something like that…

34. unca_chuck said, on February 22, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Definite kudos to Flav for yesterday’s actions. It’s crazy (to me) that a place like this even exists where a sense of community and camraderie develops out of thin air really. And yeah, as fucked up as the world can get, it’s good to know that there are places like this where everbody knows your name . . . (cue Cheers music)

35. twinfan1 said, on February 22, 2013 at 5:31 pm

My cognitive functions are impaired for now, so I can’t post much for a awhile.So, please proceed, Governor…

36. Macdog said, on February 22, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Sorry, but these Warriors jerseys are gawd-awful.

37. pawliekokonuts said, on February 22, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Just watched the official MLB World Series DVD. For 2012. I wouldn’t alter one fecking frame of it. Nor do I regret one tear shed.

• snarkk said, on February 22, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Pawlie, any commentary by the Giants TV and Radio guys, or is it all Fox?…

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 22, 2013 at 9:13 pm

lots of Giants TV and radio crew; it’s a good show

38. willedav said, on February 22, 2013 at 8:39 pm

W’s new unis look OK. Lot of college teams have that shoulder look—I think marquette looks like that too. Yellow with yellow shoes is not a good look for Biedrins, tho I’m not sure what is. As a mexican dicho says, you can dress the monkey in silk…..

39. paulinasia said, on February 22, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Just past noon on Saturday in Bangkok, past 9pm west coast USA time on Friday night for most of you. Internet is a little dodgy at the moment and the keyboard is weird so please fortgive any typos that I don’t correct. Agree with Snarkk’s comments above about the Flap as kinship, community, etc., not just a baseball blog. Michael, hope you’re ok, it was startling to hear about your episode. Craig, you da man. Great fun meeting Steve over here (I won’t say much, it’s up to him to tell his stories, suffice it to say his eyes are open wide like a kid in a candy store, and a smile mostly is permanently affixed). Will meet up for dinner later. Sadly (for me), as he wings off tomorrow to Chiang Mai in the north, I’ll be heading back home to Saigon. As big and crazy a city as Bkk is (I’ve been here probably 25 times in the last 9 years), I always relax here, compared to the manic Saigon scene. Thais are just so much more mellow than the VNmese. Lovely Buddhists. So even just 3 nights here, I will go back to Saigon more at peace… which will last about 6 hours… and will immediately begin thinking about the next time I can come back to the Land of Smiles. We’re already planning the next Flapalooooooooooooooza Southeast Asia Part 2. All are welcome. You guys all rock. Peace out.

• tedspe said, on February 22, 2013 at 9:40 pm

That has to be the drunkest post ever. And I mean that in a good way, Paul, I salute you. And it sounds great.
      However, a little dubious of blade having “his eyes are open wide like a kid in a candy store, and a smile mostly is permanently affixed” for two reasons.
      1) I’ve been there and it’s not like the movies. Granted a lot a goods but the majority? Toothless trinket sellers between the age of 60 to 100 that look like they fell off of a charm bracelet.
      2) Blade’s already traveled around 66% of this beautiful world of ours and, shall we say, conquering? Nothing surprises the stud. He’s like Conan the Barbarian, only with a better vocabulary

• snarkk said, on February 23, 2013 at 12:28 am

re: (1). Ted, you just want to keep it for yourself, don’t you?… 😉

• blade3colorado said, on February 23, 2013 at 1:57 am

Great post Paul. You too Ted (too funny). Going to get a massage. Later . . .

40. xoot said, on February 22, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Anybody else looking forward to the radio broadcasts of ST? This year will be different, with starters going deeper than usual in the early games, and a lot of new kids showing up as starters later, as the WBC gets going. First up, tomorrow.

Side story: Jon Miller always gets Krukow going when they do ST games together. Krukow drops his guard and lets loose. Whoever has been telling him to cut that stuff out of his regular season act should be fired. Kuiper, as ever, is more circumspect, but as always he gets his good lines in. (I don’t know if I’ve ever heard Fleming on a ST game; probably, but not memorably.) I read that Kuiper is in AZ for tomorrow’s game. Don’t know who else will be narrating.

In any event, can’t wait.

• tedspe said, on February 22, 2013 at 9:47 pm

KNBR?

• xoot said, on February 22, 2013 at 10:05 pm

yep, tomorrow anyway.

• tedspe said, on February 22, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Thanks

• snarkk said, on February 23, 2013 at 12:29 am

Marty Lurie will do his thang early, before the gamecast…

• ewisco said, on February 22, 2013 at 9:56 pm

i love the radio broadcasts. i love the sound of baseball in the background as i go about my life: driving, watching the boys practice/play baseball, doing yardwork, doing laundry, bbq’ing, sitting around reading, living vicariously as Blade spreads his seed around an anxiously awaiting world. it’s all good. semper flapus.

• tedspe said, on February 22, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Fucking Robert Duvall devotee. “I love the…”

41. tedspe said, on February 22, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Goodnight, gentlemen (?)

• snarkk said, on February 23, 2013 at 12:27 am

Damn good to have you back, Ted…

• blade3colorado said, on February 23, 2013 at 1:31 am