A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

What Was Your Favorite Play From 2012?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 23, 2013

and you can’t say “the final out of Game 4 of the World Series….” 🙂

This is basically an impossible assignment but I’m interested to see how uniformed the responses are. I was going to go with the grand slam that Posey hit off Fuck Latos. When Miller says, “A long high fly ball to deep left field….” his voice is almost quivering in anticipation of what was about to happen. The Pagan catch in that game showed you his worth in those playoffs with that single play. The Romo/Bruce 9 minute at bat. There were almost too many moments from that game to pick one for my favorite of *the year.*

Here’s a mini-compilation from that game (included Dusty’s god awful call of  a hit and run that ended with Buster gunning down Bruce at third for a double play):

Here’s another compilation, this one is all 27 of Matt Cain’s perfect game outs. I forgot just how many tough plays were made in that game to preserve his perfection.

In fact, if I just base this off the play I re-watched the most times in 2012, I would have to go with the Blanco catch from the perfect game as my favorite moment in 2012. I bet I’ve seen that catch 50 times…

But there are so many others that I might have forgotten that you thought of as your favorite. Let’s hear ’em……

1. pawliekokonuts said, on February 23, 2013 at 7:46 am

I think I have to go with the Romo-Bruce 9-minute at-bat. The Posey grand slam was huge, but I think I got more nervous in that game than any game all year. And after the Reds starting clawing back, the Bruce AB was fraught with wicked tension. It could’ve gone another way. Oh. I’ve just thought of choice 1A. When Arias beat out the play that Scott Rolen bobbled. Oh yeah. I’m sure I could think of a bunch more, but those come to mind. Watching the WS reel last night underscores how things could’ve gone another way. Zito’s bunt. Zito’s hit to left in Game 1 of the WS. The 7-4-2 (Blanco-Scutaro-Posey) putout of Prince Fielder, which I believe was the first 7-4-2 putout in Series history — or at least in a very long time. (Is that even remotely possible?)

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 23, 2013 at 7:50 am

In fact, I think it was during the extra-inning thriller against the Reds (is it Game 3 of the NLDS?), with the Scott Rolen bobble, when I texted Magnus with the now etched-in-Flap history WE SCORE WE WIN message.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 23, 2013 at 8:03 am

So much awesomeness. I forgot about the Zito ground attack.

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 23, 2013 at 7:56 am

Have to agree with Pawlie on the Romo-Bruce AB. I watched that AB in the cafeteria at work with about 200 people. That was tense. People were practically chewing their fingers off. Blanco to Scutaro to Posey to throw out fatso Fielder at home was awesome too. The Blanco play in CF to save the perfecto. Sandoval going boom, boom, boom in game 1, Romo with the huge stones to fool Cabrera and claim the prize…..oh man. There are too many to pick just one.

3. Bozo said, on February 23, 2013 at 8:20 am

There were many, very good to great plays in the Perfecto but Blanco? That was fucking awesome (I’m pretty sure that catch is now in all dictionaries as the photo reference to the word awesome). My favorite thing in the game of perfection is the way the “Got him” volume level rises from the announcers (mostly Kuip) as the game goes on (from a quick “got em” to a very loud “GOT HIM” in the ninth), I love that shit.
    Thanks Flav, for getting the juices going and getting me all FIRED UP!

4. TedSpe said, on February 23, 2013 at 8:35 am

Can’t come up with one. It’s like picking a favorite bartender

• blade3colorado said, on February 23, 2013 at 8:55 am

Uhh . . . Isn’t that supposed to be favorite child? 🙂

5. blade3colorado said, on February 23, 2013 at 8:36 am

New post on my blog . . . Plenty of pictures of Paul and I, including some females. Woof Woof!

6. blade3colorado said, on February 23, 2013 at 8:41 am

By they by, I will go with the Panda home run in the World Series. Ahh, you ask which one? The one that Pawlie saw. Again, you ask which one? Pawlie will have to provide details, but I believe he missed one of them (bathroom break I think). Actually, any of the 3 I am down with. 🙂

• Bozo said, on February 23, 2013 at 9:00 am

I’m watching that game right now. Panda just hit his first one.

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 23, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I saw all of them launched, but my view was obstructed and don’t recall seeing any of the three land. (Have to read over my own account.)

7. willedav said, on February 23, 2013 at 8:42 am

One of the nicest plays I saw featured a fabulous running grab by Pagan in LCF, who wheeled and turned to craw who completed a DP by gunning a guy down at 1b from short CF.
    Melk made a play like that from LF down the line to cut down a guy at the plate too.

8. Nipper said, on February 23, 2013 at 8:43 am

The final out of the World Series was my favorite.

9. twinfan1 said, on February 23, 2013 at 9:09 am

The overall postseason MVP was Sandoval. He was the only one who performed well in every series. He edges out Romo, barely. Posey, Scooter, Zito, Affeldt, Lincecum. all made huge contributions.
    Every player makes contributions to a run like that one. Crawford, Casilla, Blanco, Arias all get honorable mention.
    Players who had generally poor postseasons but had shining moments were Belt, Pagan, and Pence. However, if I see Reverand do the pregame rally again, I’m sentencing him to life in the cell Ray Lewis belongs in, Ray will join him.
    I give the rest of the pitching staff honorable mention, as well.
    Special mention to Theriot’s slide, and the Calvin-ish glee…
    Hit of the Postseason- Panda’s first HR off our latest dismantling of the Flavor du Jour “WGP”..it was over then.
    Special mention- Zito’s bunt
    Defensive play(s)- Crawford game after game.
    Special mention-Pagan’s twisting catch
    Play of the season- Blanco catch.
    Special Mention- Matt, Chelsea, Nicole midnight after the perfecto..

10. willedav said, on February 23, 2013 at 9:09 am

Nip, I felt the same way when Scut caught the last out in the rain here vs. STL. I was afraid he might slip and get hurt in the mud of the field and it would prolong everything. Fitting retribution for what he went through in that series.

11. Alleykat said, on February 23, 2013 at 9:12 am

All great moments in Giants run last year.
    Really dug the Brett Pill HR Blast off of Clayton Kershaw in LA.
    Kid showed some cojones against a tough pitcher,and that blast helped the Giants take that one behind Vogs ,who outdueled Kershaw and his whiny Doggys.

12. Macdog said, on February 23, 2013 at 9:18 am

Hunter Pence’s “triple” hit was something otherworldly, as big a sign as any that the Giants were not to be denied the NL pennant. That a wacko like Pence was the one who hit it made the game-breaking play all the more fitting.

Matty plunking Holliday later in the rout was a nice touch, even if it probably wasn’t the wisest thing to do in a Game 7.

And of course, Marco Scutaro in the rain, catching the final out as “The Giants win the pennant!”

13. Bozo said, on February 23, 2013 at 10:00 am

So I’m watching game 1 of the WS. I forgot about that great AB by Pagan in the 3rd inning. Two outs, count two and two and he fouls off about a hundred balls. He hits that ball that squibs off of third base and goes to second (heads up by Roberto Kelly to send him, Kelly just might be our real lucky charm). Scutaro battles Verlander and gets that single up the middle that Pagan scores on. Pitching coach for the Tigers goes out, Verlander reaction is , who the fuck are you? Panda hits number 2 – Wow. Posey gets a base hit and Verlander looks shell shocked.
    I won’t babble on but Posey makes that heads up double play in the 4th, when Young doesn’t run on the ball hit in front of the plate.
    So much in just this one game. Great game to be at Pawlie.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 23, 2013 at 10:06 am

Didn’t the pitching coach come out in the middle of the AB? I thought that was how it went anyway. I’ll never forget being at that game. Our seats were in the middle of the Tigers family section. Leland’s wife right in front of me. Dude behind me saying Sandoval is dog meat. Haha, what a bunch of chumps.

• Bozo said, on February 23, 2013 at 10:18 am

I think the pitching coach came out after the second ball to Pablo. whatever, the next one Panda hit out. The shot of the pitching coach after the HR, he looked to me like a guy thinking about job openings,

Hey and what about Zito’s RBI single in the 4th off Verlander? What a great game to be at for both you and Pawlie. You know when I watch a game on TV I tend to remember the highlights as time goes on. When I’m at a game the stuff I’m remembering now would have been etched in my mind.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 23, 2013 at 10:44 am

Yeah I tend to remember the final score and the hot chicks I peeped when I go to a game.

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 23, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I never knew these juicy details, Michah. Or forgot. Keep ’em coming. I remember meeting you and your dad and thinking, Lucky stiffs. I honestly at that point was not even FANTASIZING getting into the game. I guess I should start FANTASIZING more about Sofia Vergara.

14. twinfan1 said, on February 23, 2013 at 10:15 am

1.Pagan CF
    2.Scutaro 2B
    3.Sandoval 3B
    4.Posey C
    5.Pence RF
    6.Arias SS
    7.Belt DH
    8.Pill 1B
    9.Perez LF

• zumiee said, on February 23, 2013 at 10:53 am

Ah, that is sweet, indeed. First lineup post of the season, by TF. Glad to see you doing better.

• twinfan1 said, on February 23, 2013 at 11:37 am

Thank you. My wife appreciates that I still can’t talk much.

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 23, 2013 at 10:57 am

I hadn’t seen the Cain 27 outs video. Not just Blanco but Arias made some great plays in that game. Cabrera too.

16. zumiee said, on February 23, 2013 at 11:00 am

Great posts about great plays, folks. Beautiful.
    I’m trying to think of one that hasn’t been mentioned yet….I remember Crawford jumping up and catching a line-drive for the final out in a game. And just overall how that makes me remember how he really got it together, defensively, during the season, after looking shaky and not ready for primetime earlier in the season. He was really making all the big-league plays as the season passed the halfway point, and Bochy/Sabean’s patience with him paid off.

17. twinfan1 said, on February 23, 2013 at 11:01 am

The plays by Cabrera and Arias should have been plays that should have been made, though.

18. zumiee said, on February 23, 2013 at 11:05 am

The Mets/Nationals game this morning had a particular point of interest- Zack Wheeler pitched a couple of innings and looked pretty good. He will probably start the season in AAA, but could make it to the big club at some point in 2013. The Mets in general are kind of a dreary club. The only thing that made them interesting last year was Dickey, and now he’s playing for Toronto.

19. zumiee said, on February 23, 2013 at 11:18 am

I started reading the book “Moneyball” yesterday, and found it very engaging and interesting. The movie did a good job of capturing the essence of the book.
    There’s a chapter in the book that does a poignant history of Bill James, and it kind of made me wonder why I had lost my interest in James in the 1990s. I was one of those folks reading his Baseball Abstracts in the ’80s. I was actually really into the new statistical analysis at one point, as hard as that may be to believe (grin). Why didn’t I stick with it? In retrospect, I guess it was just ennui in general at the Giants continual inability to win a World Series. The 49ers were winning Super Bowls, and my overall interest in baseball just wasn’t as intense as the ’80s ended. When the Giants got Barry Bonds for the ’93 season, and the team had that amazing run, I was very into it, only to fall one-game short, well…..that was a tough one. And then the next season was the strike. I followed the Giants in the rest of the ’90s, but not real intensely. That’s why the Brian Johnson HR doesn’t mean as much to me as it does to some of the rest of you. I went to games that season, but I don’t have memories of that season. It wasn’t until the team built the new stadium that I really got back into it. The new stadium brought me back big-time. And they were winning, and making the playoffs from the get-go. There were more heartbreaks ahead, but I was fully onboard again, as I had been in ’93 and before.
    The book just kind of triggered some of those thoughts and memories.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 23, 2013 at 11:37 am

I remember watching the Johnson HR at my place in long beach, ca. I knew Johnson’s little brother in Oakland at one time. Dude was always trading on his brother’s name. Total douche.

• xoot said, on February 23, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I was sitting high above CF when Johnson hit that HR. Unbelievable game; the Stick was completely full. We bought our tickets that morning, so we had no choice about location. Still, from that vantage we had a damn good view of the DP Beck got Murray to hit into.

My favorite chapter of Moneyball is the one describing the 2002 draft. An excerpt:

“’Swisher and Blanton *and *McCurdy,’ says Erik. ‘This is unfair.’ He clicks the button on the speakerphone, and his voice shaking like a man calling to say he holds the winning Lotto ticket, takes Blanton with the twenty-fourth pick, pauses while the Giants make their pick, then takes McCurdy with the twenty-sixth.
      “Everyone in the room, even the people in the back who have no real idea what is going on, a group that includes both the manager and the owner of the Oakland A’s, claps and cheers.”
      –Moneyball, p. 114.

“pauses while the Giants make their pick” – that nameless player was Matt Cain.

“no real idea what is going on” – well, you can say that again.

• zumiee said, on February 23, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Yeah, that caught my eye, too. And how Beane ridiculed GMs in that draft for drafting high school pitchers; and of course, Cain was drafted by the Giants out of high school.

• Salty said, on February 23, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Todd Van Poopel still haunts them …I don’t think they have drafted a HS pitcher in the first rd since

20. xoot said, on February 23, 2013 at 12:33 pm

When I watch the perfecto again, I’m always startled by the screaming low liner the Astros’ CF smacked, I think in the 4th inning. That ball hit beside 1B foul by a single grain of sand, and shot off toward the RF bullpen. If fair, it would’ve been a double. In my mind, that “play” has become emblematic. Some of Melky’s plays in the first half of the season, his high-speed catches in foul ground and some throws on a line to the I,F hang around, too. Amazing how the Giants just moved on.

Anyway, as to play of the year, I think game 5 in St L had several contenders. When Pablo grabbed that foul LD to end the first and leave Beltran stranded on 2B, I suddenly had confidence in Zito and the Giants. Pence and Pagan both had brilliant OF plays in that game. But it was that first inning diving grab by Pablo that turned the series, and the PS, around. From that moment on, the Giants just looked like winners.

21. unca_chuck said, on February 23, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Still think the Pablo dive and flip of the ball to a diving Crawford in foul territory was pretty cool just for the weirdness factor.

Bozo’s plays he mentioned in game 1 of the WS (Pablo’s 1st HR and Zito’s base hit) were epic to me because, before BOTH of those plays, McFuckhead said ‘Pablo can’t catch up to Verlander’s high fast ball’. Next pitch? BOOM! Talking abouit Zito battling vs Verlander. ‘Barry should just take his swings and sit down. He doesn’t stand a chance’ (some shit like that). Next pitch? RBI base hit for Zito. I got a HUGE kick out of McCrackhead eating shit. Constantly. Over and over. Til the last out in the 9th.

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 23, 2013 at 6:45 pm

No lie: in person, for no earthly reason, I called Zito’s single. I blurted out to my bleacher crew: “Zito is hitting a single to left.” And for no earthly reason, I simply was not surprised. Weird.

22. twinfan1 said, on February 23, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Confirmation from Miller: I know Craig and others have agreed with me on this: Fruckie sucked when he tried to move a runner from second. It drove me crazy. it never worked. Finally Bochy told him to knock it off- just drive the run in. Here’s my rule of thumb- you one get shot at it.
    But here’s the deal with short two hitters- they don’t think they’ll get their official “Scrappy Dude” card unless they do shit like that, And that’s OK if it’s Punto, but Fruckie was a good hitter.

23. zumiee said, on February 23, 2013 at 3:42 pm

One of the key characters in the book “Moneyball” is Paul DePodesta, who the Jonah Hill character in the film is somewhat based on. I was curious whatever happened to DePodesta, so I looked him up on Wikipedia. I had forgotten he was GM for the Dodgers for a short time. He was the guy who did the big LoDuca trade in the middle of the season.
    He’s now in charge of the Mets’ player development.
    Here’s the info from Wiki about his Dodger years. It’s a sort of interesting follow-up to “Moneyball.”

At the age of 31, DePodesta was named general manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers on February 16, 2004, making him the fifth-youngest person to be named general manager in baseball history behind Jon Daniels (28) of the Texas Rangers, Theo Epstein (28) with the Boston Red Sox (now of the Chicago Cubs), Andrew Friedman (28) of the Tampa Bay Rays, and Randy Smith (29) of the San Diego Padres.
    DePodesta’s reliance on sabermetric principles has been somewhat controversial. He is often considered part of a new breed of front-office executives whose personnel decisions depend heavily on analysis of performance data, often at the perceived expense of more traditional methods of scouting and observation.
    One of DePodesta’s most notable moves was made at the 2004 trading deadline. He traded catcher Paul Lo Duca, relief pitcher Guillermo Mota and outfielder Juan Encarnación to the Florida Marlins in exchange for pitcher Brad Penny, first baseman Hee Seop Choi and pitcher Bill Murphy, in what was reportedly an attempt to pick up pieces to acquire pitcher Randy Johnson from the Arizona Diamondbacks.[citation needed] DePodesta was heavily criticized in the local and national baseball media for this trade, because Lo Duca was thought to be the “heart and soul” of the team. The Dodgers made the playoffs anyway, with Penny developing into one of the better pitchers in the National League during his stint with the Dodgers, which lasted until the end of the 2008 season. Hee Seop Choi, however, was a disappointment, batting just .161 in 2004 and .253 in 2005, and striking out 80 times in 320 at bats. Bill Murphy was traded that year to acquire Steve Finley, who hit 13 homers in 58 games, including a memorable grand slam that clinched the division title. Lo Duca played through 2005 with the Marlins and then went to the New York Mets, Washington Nationals and back to the Marlins, making his final Major League appearance in September 2008.
    During the 2004 off-season, Adrián Beltré, who had hit 48 home runs in 2004, signed with Seattle as a free agent, spurning DePodesta’s offer of 5 yrs for $60 million for Seattle’s offer of 5 yrs for $64 million. DePodesta signed J. D. Drew, Jeff Kent, and Derek Lowe. Drew enjoyed two productive seasons as a Dodger and then used an opt-out clause in his contract to sign a new 5-year deal with the Boston Red Sox. Both Kent and Lowe put in four productive seasons for the Dodgers and cut ties with the franchise at the end of the 2008 season with Kent retiring and Lowe signing a contract with the Atlanta Braves.
    Coming off the successes of 2004, the 2005 season saw the Dodgers lose a number of players to significant stints on the disabled list. Many of the players lost to injury were expected to produce heavily for the team including J. D. Drew, Milton Bradley, Éric Gagné, Jayson Werth, César Izturis and Odalis Pérez. The 2005 season resulted in the team’s worst record since 1992 and second worst since moving to Los Angeles in 1958. On October 29, 2005, Dodgers owner Frank McCourt fired DePodesta, citing his desire to see the club win and that DePodesta had not met those expectations. Reports surfaced that the real reason McCourt had fired DePodesta was his inability to find satisfactory managerial candidates to replace Jim Tracy. He was later replaced by Ned Colletti, who hired Grady Little as manager. Some have speculated that McCourt fired DePodesta in response to media criticism from Los Angeles Times sports columnists T.J. Simers and Bill Plaschke, who were vehemently “anti-Moneyball” and referred to DePodesta pejoratively as “Google Boy.”

24. ewisco said, on February 23, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I don’t remember back that far but there had to have been some big defensive plays in zito’s start against the rocks. and for game four of the season, that was a huge win. I kind of want to say that this is where crawford, after getting shell shocked in AZ, started to show glimmers.

25. pawliekokonuts said, on February 23, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Twin, as I am catching up and strolling through here, tossing in a comment here and there, I want to say, good to see you typing, good to see your observations, good to hear you are coming along. Wishing you all the best.

• twinfan1 said, on February 23, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Everything takes longer, is all. Thank you,

26. pawliekokonuts said, on February 23, 2013 at 6:59 pm

From the bizarre and strange perspective, how about the Aubry Huff play at 2B at Citi Field? The beginning of his sad decline. Or the beginning of its hastening. Met Macdog right before that game.

27. paulinasia said, on February 23, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Favorite plays from last year.. wow, so many. I’ve watched that 27-outs-perfect-game video a LOT, very thrilling, especially noticing the slow but steady increase of buzz in the stands as the game unfolds and the defense makes play after play. One of my favs from the Series was Blanco to Scutaro to Posey for the swipe tag on Fielder’s fat ass before his foot hit the plate. Bam. That, combined with Pablo’s 3 HRs, put Detroit in a shocked stupor they never recovered from. I would LOVE for someone to put a video together that’s a composite of the looks on the faces of various Tigers. Cabrera after Pagan’s hit ricocheted off 3rd base, Verlander after Pablo’s 2nd HR, Fielder after any and all of his strike-outs… just passionless, numb stares that said “this cannot be happening”… uh, yes it can. Priceless.

10:15am Sunday morning in Saigon: back home already from Bangkok (unmercifully early but mercifully short flight), Steve will head north to Chiang Mai this afternoon, said farewell last night outside the Sukhumvit Soi 7 Beer Garden, sent him on his way after a nice photo with a local lovely. Will be interesting to hear of his tales as his trip unfolds. Enjoy your Saturday nights, gentlemen… oh, and Ted, of course life in Bangkok ain’t all smiles and sweet stuff. But I do think Steve enjoyed himself immensely.

• blade3colorado said, on February 23, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I’m glad you had an uneventful flight and are at home Paul. Sunday is the best day to travel in Bangkok, as there is relatively no traffic (at least to the airport). Paul, thank you very much for showing me a part of the world I didn’t know. Traveling solo means “winging it” with an assist from Google and Lonely Planet (which I normally love). However, it’s nice to follow someone else’s tracks or lead once in awhile. I immensely enjoyed our time together.

• blade3colorado said, on February 23, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Boarding my Chiang Mai flight now. Later Flappers. 🙂

28. pawliekokonuts said, on February 23, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Reading this at the ESPN site, I frankly don’t find it too funny (though I didn’t see it), but rather embarrassing. And that is a memorable quote from Bochy if there ever was one.

“It looked like home plate was running away from me,” Sandoval said.

At least he gave ample entertainment to his laughing teammates and their cheering fans in the fourth inning with his exhausted sprint to home plate. He also contributed an RBI single moments beforehand.

“We’re trying to do everything we can to get him ready,” San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy said. “It’s hard to carry a piano on your back, and then he stopped and played a song between third and home.”

Bochy had Sandoval running on the pitch, a decidedly unlikely strategy in games that count. Even with that head start, Sandoval barely made it 270 feet in time on Williams’ double to left at Scottsdale Stadium.

“I was just hoping he didn’t fall,” said Angel Pagan, who scored on Sandoval’s single. “It was a long run for him. I’m just glad he made it.”

• xoot said, on February 23, 2013 at 9:27 pm

The catcher, Jackson Williams, who hit the double looks like a career minor league player. First round draft pick in 2007, but after a horrible 2011, his line in AAA Fresno last year was .247, .281, .417. He had 73 hits–15 doubles and 11 HRs. Why the low OPS? BB/SO ratio, was 13/62. Defensively, he cut down runners at 2B at a 29% rate. Nonetheless, if he never does another great thing in ST or at the mlb level, he did force Pablo to run. Run, Pablo, run!

29. eddacker said, on February 24, 2013 at 5:20 am

Hiya, all, nice to see ya.
    Before I finished the intro I knew Blanco’s catch was mine. But thinking back on the season I will have to give a thumbs up to my man belt. He made some great scoops that saved some base runners.
    As you know I do not have access to a lot of the resources mentioned here and it pisses me off.

30. twinfan1 said, on February 24, 2013 at 9:05 am

The deal about Panda’s adventure on the bases is overblown. Bochy, Panda, Pagan were all joking about it. The fact remains that he was running and scored from first on a double in the corner. Much ado about nothing.,.
    Williams, BTW, is considered the best defensive catcher in the system, I wouldn’t put a lot of stock in CS stealing numbers when catching minor league pitchers- besides, the 29% was one year. Overall it’s much higher Frankly, I would consider him as a viable alternative to Hector depending on the plans for Posey.
    Hector was a sieve. Williams won’t hit but if the plans are for a lot of first base for Buster and Belt in LF, Williams might be the better choice backing up Buster.That’s my cockeyed thinking, and I love Hector…

• xoot said, on February 24, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I suspect being slightly annoyed at Pablo will be a chronic Giants-fan condition for a long time. Last year, when he was supposed to be rehabbing in San Jose, he blundered into his Aptos Seascape after-hours debacle. How much better would he have played in the second half if he’d been more responsible about his comeback? Who knows; who cares? He blasted his way through the PS with a smile on his face, dispeleds the annoyance completely, starred in the Venezuelan championship series and yet returned to the Giants fat. So the fat jokes return. Of course, he’ll dispel the annoyance again. That’s the way it’ll go for a long while.

31. Bozo said, on February 24, 2013 at 9:30 am

Not sure if anyone posted this SI article on Tim’s training this off season. If someone did, sorry for the repost.

• zumiee said, on February 24, 2013 at 10:08 am

Cool article, thanks. It’s probably the #1 question for the Giants going into the 2013 season. How will Lincecum do? Well, we’ll see. (grin)

32. Alleykat said, on February 24, 2013 at 10:05 am

I will take Hector anyday of the week over Jackson Williams.
    Williams was a #1pick back in O7,and looks like a bust to me.Hell Eli can still out-hit this kid.He is a career minor-leaguer,passed up by Andrew Susac right now.

• twinfan1 said, on February 24, 2013 at 10:59 am

I know all about of them, tell someone who doesn’t know.
      The best prospect is not always the best choice for the best backup catcher, everyone knows that. Hector was my first choice for prospect of the day last year (on the day before he hit 3 HRs and everyone else started recognizing him.)
      He will probably be the backup to start the season, but he has to improve behind the plate but he won’t be before long. AS I SAID, they can and SHOULD value defense behind the plate if they plan to play Buster and Belt at the same time often.

33. Macdog said, on February 24, 2013 at 10:19 am

Speaking of SI, the lack of respect for the reigning champs continues somewhat in this blurb from the latest issue:

“Los Angeles has the game’s highest payroll, projected at $213 million. Ten players — including righthander Zack Greinke, who signed for six years and $147 million in December — will make eight figures in 2013. That might not be enough, though. Questions about the health of outfielder Carl Crawford (left elbow) and starter Chad Billingsley (right elbow), as well as the lack of a true leadoff hitter, make the Dodgers just a slight favorite over the defending world champion Giants in the NL West.”

• zumiee said, on February 24, 2013 at 10:31 am

The outside world doesn’t really “get” the Giants, which is fine. The Giants are doing well flying under the national radar. The Mets broadcasters yesterday, Keith Hernandez (I think) and the other guy (with a very familiar voice, I can’t remember the name) struggled to explain the Giants’ success. They called the Giants a team with “a solid pitching staff, and one real good everyday player, Buster Posey.” And did finally say that it’s a team with great chemistry who play together very well.
      The bottom line is…..the Giants are a TEAM, a very good one, and win it the old-fashioned hard-work way, grinding out victories; everyday there’s a different hero.

• zumiee said, on February 24, 2013 at 10:42 am

As far as whether the Giants are a “great” team or not….I think they’re “sneaky great,” if that’s possible. For all the “characters” they’ve had on the team over the last several years, and all the success, they still project nationally a very humble demeanor, and that finds its epitome in Bochy’s demeanor. Respect the game, and play it right. And the Giants have found the system that works well for them, given their home ballpark. Sabean and crew are on a roll, putting this show together.

• twinfan1 said, on February 24, 2013 at 11:22 am

Making the Dodgers a slight favorite is a hardly a lack of respect for the Giants.

• Macdog said, on February 24, 2013 at 11:43 am

To each his own interpretation. The Giants have won the World Series two of the last three years. The Dodgers have won absolutely zilch during that time, and were emphatically outplayed by the Giants when it counted the most last year despite all their moves. Until they prove otherwise, how are the Dodgers even a “slight favorite” over the Giants?

34. zumiee said, on February 24, 2013 at 10:20 am

Speaking of back-up catchers….after reading “Moneyball,” I got to wondering whatever happened to Jeremy Brown, the minor league catcher featured prominently in the book as an example of Beane over-riding his “old school” scouts because of Sabermetrics, by drafting Brown in the first round.
    It turns out Brown played 4 years in the minors, with a high OBP, and then made it up to the big club at the end of the 2006 season, batted .300 in 11 plate appearances, and then played the next season in the minors, and then…..left baseball. I guess he’d gotten the feeling that Beane wasn’t seeing him as a big part of the Oakland A’s future, and he didn’t want to grind through more years of minor league baseball. Not everyone wants to do that.

• zumiee said, on February 24, 2013 at 10:23 am

He was 27 when he left baseball. He had played college baseball.

35. twinfan1 said, on February 24, 2013 at 11:17 am

When they played Buster at first last year, they sat Belt. If they do that this year, they *should* catch Hector. But if Belt does move to left they’d be much wiser to go with defense to back up Buster.

36. eddacker said, on February 24, 2013 at 1:12 pm

With the dogers, dbacks and gmen the nlwest is one tough division. The only st news I get is baseball tonight so keep those informational posts coming.

• Bozo said, on February 24, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Ed, do you need links, or is everything blocked in England, work computer?

• eddacker said, on February 25, 2013 at 6:01 am

You can send me some links, especially giant specific. I sortof gave up on comcast cause my machine won’t play their videos. The only giants tv I have this year is espn and that aint much.

37. Alleykat said, on February 24, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Curtis Granderson out 10 weeks,fractured right forearm after getting drilled by JA Happ of Toronto
    Back to your regular schedule entertaiment,Nascar Racing from Daytona.

38. eddacker said, on February 24, 2013 at 1:42 pm

while the yankmees are on mlb tv almost everyday, the gmen are on twice in the next 18 days. the bias is ALIVE.

• zumiee said, on February 24, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Yeah, all those Yankee games is a bit ridiculous. And Red Sox and Phillies, of course. The trilogy of Over-hype.
      It still seems odd to me that MLB has decided that the Red Sox and Phillies are the “geographic rivals” for May 27-30. That’s about as artificial a “geographic rival” as it can get.
      And to add further to the absurdity, you’d expect the Astros and Rangers to be “geographic rivals,” correct? Nope. MLB has them playing other teams.

39. zumiee said, on February 24, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Hey, it was only a Spring Training game, but it’s still pretty amusing that the Dodgers lost their first game 9-0, with Kershaw taking the loss.

40. zumiee said, on February 24, 2013 at 2:29 pm

As all of you may already know, the inter-league “geographic rivlary” games are all being done May 27-30, as 4-game blocks, 2 home, 2 away.

• Bozo said, on February 24, 2013 at 2:46 pm

As much as I hate inter-league play, the declining number of games played against the A’s, makes me happy!

• zumiee said, on February 24, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Good point!

41. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 24, 2013 at 4:27 pm

The increase of inter league play blows. One positive is the opportunities to DH Posey and keep Belt at 1b.

42. Visit The Next Internet Site said, on April 18, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Thanks designed for sharing such a good thought, article
    is nice, thats why i have read it entirely

43. Violette said, on April 19, 2013 at 10:22 am

Hi my friend! I want to say that this post is awesome, great written and
    include almost all vital infos. I would like to look extra posts
    like this .