Wanting Vs Getting

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 10, 2015

John Shea reporting that the Giants would be “all in” on trading for Jose Fernandez. Really? Shocker. I didn’t think any team would be interested in picking him up.

Well, there’s *all in* and then there’s ALL IN!!!!!!!! Evans joked yesterday on KNBR saying the Marlins would want “McCovey Cove” in exchange for Fernandez. Dumb joke. And I can only imagine the shit package the Giants would offer for this guy.

You can find me atop Mount Shady looking down on the rest of this off season with the shadiest of eyes. It just doesn’t feel like the Giants are going to do what it takes to step up and get another coveted player, either via trade or signing.

We shall see though…….

_____________________

and then there was this:

Giants pass on selecting a Rule 5 pick. You all can go back to sleep now.

1. chipower9 said, on December 10, 2015 at 7:30 am

Zzzzzzz…wake me when that Fernandez deal goes down. Hell, wake me when we have signed Parra.

I am still confident the Giants will make a move.

I am interested to know more on the interest in Lincecum. Someone (Clown?) mentioned this I believe on the last thread, saying there were a number of teams with interest. Timmy is such a huge part of our team’s resurrection post-Bonds, it would be weird as hell to see him pitching in another uni. And I think he is a guy who could have a bounce-back year.

Zzzzzzz….

2. Bozo said, on December 10, 2015 at 7:49 am

When the Giants are done joking around about Fernandez maybe they could ask Miami about Ozuna. They want to get rid of him, they need RPs, we got RPs and need young OFers (we could even start him in AAA to sort some shit out).

3. willedav said, on December 10, 2015 at 8:04 am

Even if nothing happened for position players, Giants do have good LU and look way better than opening day last year.
    Duffy at 3b in place of the McG experiment. Plus Specs is a much better IF back up option than the guy who is Out of them.
    Healthy Susac, no more Hector.
    Blanco in LF is a better all around player than Aoki. One or both of Parker or Williamson get a good shot to show what they can do with PT.
    Healthy Pence and Panik will enable Giants to continue to be among league leaders for runs scored and any number of offensive stats (hits BA OB slug OPS) beside HRs.

• chipower9 said, on December 10, 2015 at 8:46 am

I agree WillieD.

4. alleykat69 said, on December 10, 2015 at 8:30 am

Just don’t see the Giants going with Parker are Williamson to start in LF.
    Maybe a bench spot for 1.They will push for Gordon now who’s a superb LF and could easily be the lead off hitter over Piñata with much better production.
    Are is there any chance, which I doubt would happen moving Pence to LF?Pence to LF for my Heyward big splash, who could also play CF, lots of scenario’s possible..

• chipower9 said, on December 10, 2015 at 8:47 am

I do not either, and Evans said as much earlier in the year. They want someone a bit more proved to start, and I agree. But I could see one of those two perhaps as a 5th if they really light it up in ST.

5. chipower9 said, on December 10, 2015 at 9:03 am

Blade – good read on Gordon and the state of the Giants from last thread. Thanks for the share.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 10, 2015 at 9:06 am

Doesn’t the rule 5 draft pick up have to go to the active roster and stay there for the season or they go back to the original team? I think that is the case. With the Samrdjusassaza pick up and non tender of Petit and Hacktor doesn’t that leave the club with 1 spot open? I’m not that disappointed in Sabevans for not picking up the next Dan Uggla. Especially when I’ve got a feeling that this is the year that Adrianza puts it all together.

Of the players left out there I would be okay with Gordon. I guess. The Giants were a top offense in the NL last year so I could care less about bats this winter. They should add position player depth. Which they’ve been doing with minor league deals and kids coming up. I’m not a fan of the Samrdjusassaza deal but whatever. The club needs power arms and Leake ain’t it so maybe Rags and Gardner sprinkle some magic on him. Chen seems like a Sabesy kind of pick up. At least he’s under 30.

I didn’t think I would miss the Sabean approach of sharing nothing with the fan base. Evans just isn’t my cup of tea I guess.

• chipower9 said, on December 10, 2015 at 11:09 am

Hey Dirt – good to see you. Hope all is well.

I think they are looking pretty decent in depth IF everyone comes back healthy, and they add a LFer. If these things happen then you have Blanco and possibly one of Parker or Williamson as your alternate OFers, Tomlinson and Adrianza as your utility guys, and Susac backing-up Posey.

I don’t have such as strong conviction on Adrianza…I thought they should have jettisoned him some time ago. It was always a head-scratcher to me why they kept him around. He must have some dirt on someone in the upper echelon of team management.

I like the SamJ pickup. I think moving to our yard for half his starts and working with Gardner and Rags may turn him around and into a decent #2.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 10, 2015 at 11:39 am

Agree with you that the roster is pretty much set. I can’t remember the names but they signed some minor league deals recently and we may see that depth up on the big club soon. I’d like to see an addition to the OF but would prefer more pitching. Lincecum with a comeback would be a great story but I’m not holding my breath.

• chipower9 said, on December 10, 2015 at 3:05 pm

I agree. All the latest is that another starter is the priority over an OFer, and I can see that. They were so pitching deficient last year. I too would love to see Timmy come back. My understanding is that he is throwing now, and when 100% (hoping for January) that he will do a “road show.” I read where his doctor (the one who performed the surgery on his labrum) says that he thinks Tim will see the velocity that he lost come back. Time will tell. If that is the case, then he will be looking for a starters role, something I am unsure the Giants will offer, but that other clubs will probably offer. Would be weird as hell to see him in a different uniform.

7. zumiee said, on December 10, 2015 at 9:28 am

Yeah, I agree with y’all about hearing in the media about how the Giants are going after all these guys; it gets a bit tiresome.

Yesterday I may have heard the dumbest question in the history of baseball media. On the MLB Network, Ryan Dempster asked Evans if the Giants consider Crawford their shortstop of the future.

• blade3colorado said, on December 10, 2015 at 9:52 am

Dempster is an ex- Red Sox pitcher, right? Obviously, he went to the Curt Schilling School Of Broadcasting.

8. zumiee said, on December 10, 2015 at 9:46 am

I like the way the Hot Stove show is doing little bits about Nashville, to give the viewer a wider experience of the baseball meetings.

Also, today on ESPN, there’s a segment on Curry’s life story. It’s a very cool feature. I think it’s part of Sportscenter.

• Macdog said, on December 10, 2015 at 10:04 am

Meant to post this last night, story on the night Curry took in a couple summer basketball league games at a small high school at the Jersey Shore: http://tinyurl.com/ou6yuhp

• willedav said, on December 10, 2015 at 11:28 am

thx, pretty funny. “Hey kid, can you play?”

good luck to Rutgers guy. After Dykes struck out looking for head coach job back in more familiar territory it appears Cal talking extension.

• chipower9 said, on December 10, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Everything I am reading is that Dykes and Cal have come to an agreement on a new deal/extension that will keep him with the Bears through 2019.

• chipower9 said, on December 10, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Great read on Curry. Thanks, Mac. I am will WillieD…I was LMAO when the coach asks Curry if he can play…

9. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 10, 2015 at 10:03 am

I heard that Lincecum got ahold of the Woody Harrelson strain that has been going around and is coming back as a Natural Born Killer.

10. willedav said, on December 10, 2015 at 10:09 am

Yesterday was b-day of late trumpeter Donald Byrd, whose Blue Note stuff and collaborations with Duke Pearson and sax players J McLean and Pepper Adams I like a lot.

Made me think of Marlon Byrd, another guy I liked in his brief time here. I understand not bringing him back but someone like him, vet bat off the bench with some pop I think would be good idea. If he is fully healthy I’d love to have J Morneau, clutch vet hitter who can play 1b if needed.

11. wilcojoe said, on December 10, 2015 at 11:18 am

Interesting viewpoint from Michael Wilbon (who is black) who says McCaffrey is by far the best player in college football but has no chance to win the Heisman because he is white. Argument being that the stereotype of white running backs being inferior to black athletes hurts him.

I could see that to a certain extent but I think it has more to do with him being on the west coast.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 10, 2015 at 11:29 am

I like Wilbon for his honesty. While I don’t really follow college sports I would think the white running back is like the great white heavyweight and the Heisman folks would love to see McCaffrey win it.

• wilcojoe said, on December 10, 2015 at 11:36 am

Good comparison. I never thought of it that way.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 10, 2015 at 11:43 am

McCaffrey is sort of a special case being a family legacy guy and whatnot. I’ve never bought the whole race/genetics argument. Sports have always been a gateway for escaping poverty and it seems like there have been more white players making an impact in college and pro leagues over the last couple of years. The result of increased inequality?

• chipower9 said, on December 10, 2015 at 3:16 pm

I think it is more West coast bias than anything else. I will be very surprised if McCaffrey wins it.

I am still a bit miffed that Mayfield from Oklahoma got stiffed. He is an amazing player. Loved one play when they were playing their rivals OK State a few weeks back, and Mayfield is flying down the field after completing a pass, and levels a dude that frees his receiver to score a TD. And he continued to haul ass into the end zone to be the first to congratulate his WR.

12. willedav said, on December 10, 2015 at 12:00 pm

OK i’ll try and make this last rant but, even after reading F/G and espn.go columns, I’m not sold on Gordon.
    I think signing him to big 4-5 yr deal is asking for Rowand like trouble–in other words he will not be able to duplicate what he has done in the past as he gets older and plays at ATT. Even the Gamer could at least play CF, which imo is way bigger issue for Giants than who plays LF.

He’s not a leadoff hitter despite good OB, because he strikes out at alarming rate. He avg. 143 a year for KC and last season struck out 95 times in 104 games 355 ABs. In the F/G article the writer is making comparisons for players that have done what Gordon has 27-31–fine, but that is classic back of the baseball card thinking.
    The real issue is what you get going forward in 5yrs., not what he has done.

His next table is interesting as hitting falls off, but then he mentions guys like Rickey Henderson and Clemente. Gordon compares to neither, nor to Ichiro who also shows up in these graph comparisons.

Gordon is a good player, yes, but imo not a $20mil a year guy for another 4-5 yrs. Besides, for 2016 I’m hoping SF can use the Royals/Aoki reverse spin move magic–remember, they let Aoki walk (and Butler, how’d that work out for you Billy Beane?) after 2014 kept their own and then won it all.

• chipower9 said, on December 10, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Good summation, WillieD. And I agree with you. There are a handful of OFers I would like to have over Gordon.

13. Flavor said, on December 10, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I can’t imagine anyone NOT wanting to vote for McCaffrey regardless of his race. If you appreciate a true student college athlete you have to be impressed with McCaffrey. This guy has been flat out dominant playing for a school where you don’t get a single break as a student athlete (at least on the school work expectations). How could anyone not think it’s rad that a college football player succeeded at the highest level WHILE STILL HAVING to meet the rigorous academic expectations that all the other Stanford students have to meet? You think Henry or Watson are doing a 1/10th of the academic work that McCaffrey’s doing? No chance.

14. blade3colorado said, on December 10, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Shout out to Pawlie – Syracuse’s Dolph Schayes, 12 time All Star and NBA Champion, passed away at 87. Dude still used a set shot effectively, even after everyone else transitioned to shooting the jumper.

RIP Dolph 😦