The Groundhog Said What?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 2, 2016

I used to think the beginning of February was a boring time around here. Nothing to do. Haiku dead zone.

And then I watched the news story of Punxsutawney Phil being hoisted high above his beaming handler’s head as hundreds of people cheered wildly nearby. And I was reminded that there does indeed exist a more boring time, far far away…

Anyone got a Super Bowl prediction? I know it’s the chalk play but I just don’t see how Denver doesn’t get rolled by Carolina. Sometimes the public gets it right. I think they have it right on this one…..

1. blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2016 at 6:28 am

• chipower9 said, on February 2, 2016 at 11:03 am

LMAO…

2. Lurker John said, on February 2, 2016 at 7:19 am

Flav, I think you’re right, Carolina will roll. However, I will be pulling hard for Peyton’s last stand, so my prediction (with fingers crossed) is Broncos 26 Panthers 24, with Denver pulling it out on a last minute field goal. As improbable as it seems, I think Denver’s D is good enough to come up with the goods on a day when will have to do just that. They’ll likely need to put up a score or two.

Newton’s arrogance has become more than I can stomach. My hope is that his hubris will be his undoing.

3. Lurker John said, on February 2, 2016 at 7:20 am

And don’t be dissing Punxatawney Phil. He’s cool.

4. Flavor said, on February 2, 2016 at 8:09 am

Hey, I’m not against rodents as integral members of the food chain. I just don’t fancy them as meteorologists. But for me, it’s the handlers and the cheering idiots that I question most of all.

5. unca_chuck said, on February 2, 2016 at 8:10 am

What’s all this talk about Cam Newton’s arrogance? I saw a little of the bullshit yesterday at the hockey rink and he’s thankful blah blah blah. The usual stuff. And he wore zebra pants on the plane. Yow. What an asshole. Not sure I get it.

6. blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2016 at 8:52 am

Two ‪‎Broncos‬ team buses collided with each other on southbound 101.* A CHP motorcycle officer sustained minor injuries. Anyone hear about this? Any Broncos injured?

*They should have taken their horses. 🙂

7. unca_chuck said, on February 2, 2016 at 9:04 am

I heard a little suv bounced off the side of the bus and flipped over. Peyton Manning immediately jumped under the seats to avoid the hit.

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 2, 2016 at 9:17 am

9. willedav said, on February 2, 2016 at 9:33 am

Nice Dirt. Reminds me of cover of Zappa’s “Weasels Ripped My Flesh” first LP I ever bought from Frank and the Mothers. Guys I worked with were into them and got me hooked.

I don’t see Denver, unless their D can seriously mess with Newton, being much of a threat. It’s hard to prepare for something you haven’t seen and he’s polar opposite of guys like Smith or Carr in that division, or Brady for that matter.
    Manning (an entire family I’ve never liked) has to keep this close early, unlike his last appearance vs. Seattle, or he’ll get thrashed. Seattle and Wilson engineered a nice comeback once he stopped giving up the ball but Manning isn’t capable of that at this stage of his career…which hopefully ends in a few days.

• chipower9 said, on February 2, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Love the Zappa reference WillieD…I would have had the same take had I not read your post, first. Great stuff.

Loved all of the early Mothers albums. My favorite from the timeframe was “Just Another Band from L.A.” which came out a couple of years after “Weasels.” I saw Zappa live at the Sacramento Memorial Auditorium in 1981. Great show! We lost a musical genius when we lost Frank.

10. chipower9 said, on February 2, 2016 at 11:07 am

Pawlie – thanks for the “Washington Post” essay by Kareem yesterday. There were links to two other Kareem pieces (one comparing Trump to Bernie), and the other Trump’s response to Kareem’s essay. All excellent reads. GO BERNIE!

11. chipower9 said, on February 2, 2016 at 11:18 am

I think it could be a close game, but if Carolina blows them out, I will not be surprised, either. I am not laying any coin on this one.

I think outside of the standard turnovers (if it is a clean error-free game), and if both teams stay healthy, that the key to a Carolina win will be if they can get their ground game going against Denver. If that happens and Carolina’s RBs are having their way, then that sets Cam up for some play-action bombs, and we all know he is a freak and can do things that most QBs cannot when he decides to tuck the ball and run. In that situation, I could see Carolina with a blow-out win.

I have never liked Manning (and cannot really pinpoint why), and I have never liked the Broncos. Maybe it stems from that game in ’85 when Matt Cavanaugh and Ray Wersching were pelted with a snow ball prior to a field goal attempt at the end of the 1st half . No really, even outside of that, I have just always hated the fucking Broncos.

Go Cats!

• unca_chuck said, on February 2, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Yeah, one of many reasons I can’t stand Denver. We were seriously thinking of going to that game, Chuck. Woulda been a bear of a drive from Basalt to Denver, like 4 hours each way, but we thought about it. I would have been even more pissed that I was already.

12. chipower9 said, on February 2, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Only 15 days until pitchers and catchers report for your San Francisco Giants…

13. Bozo said, on February 2, 2016 at 1:09 pm

When I lived in SF I absolutely hated the Bay to Breakers. So I can only imagine the level of pissed-off-nes I would have had for Super Hype Week(s). Especially since SF is not hosting the SB and hell, they don’t even have a football stadium or NFL team anymore.
    Man oh man, I feel for those of you that have to deal with it, I’m just glad I don’t.

I’m rooting for Carolina, I hope they shove Omaha and the whole state of Nebraska up Peyton’s ass.

• unca_chuck said, on February 2, 2016 at 1:19 pm

I work on Montgomery, and it’s barely a blip either at Bart or walking around. As long as you don’t need to be right there its fine.

• Bozo said, on February 2, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Cool Unca. I used to work across the street from the Embarcadero Hyatt and I guess that area has been kind of messed up. What about the Civic Center? A buddy of mine who lives in Hayes Valley has been complaining some.

• unca_chuck said, on February 2, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Traffic might be getting effed with around there but I don’t drive so I’m not really sure. That seems far enough away not to be a prob but ain’t sure.

Yeah, some poor unfortunate folks that work right around the Hyatt have to go through security every time they leave their building. Like 15 minutes and up to get back in. If I was still smoking, what a hassle!

14. Bozo said, on February 2, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Hey twin – this NY Times story is about a local guy here in the OBX who has game tapes of Super Bowl I. He wanted a million and the NFL countered with 30 thousand and I guess they have been fighting for years. It mentions your dad calling the first half, so I though I’d take a chance and give you a shout out here on the Flap.
    Anywho, I thought it was kind of an interesting story and for me, I like the local angle.

• alleykat69 said, on February 2, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Wow that’s a great read Bozo!
      Yeah I hope Twin comments on that story. Ray Scott was a helluva broadcaster back in the day. I was like 11 at the time, but watched that game between the Pack&Chiefs, which Pack dominated for their 1st championship..

• blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Yep, great read clown. I have to take the side of this guy with the tape. One more reason to dislike the NFL – they make billions and they’re being assholes about something that would benefit all fans (and not just this guy trying to cash in).

15. blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Job Posting for James . . . If they select you for the gig, you’ll have to turn in your Flap credentials and do a thousand padre dominis as penance.

• chipower9 said, on February 2, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Bahaha! Speaking of, where in the hell is James? I think he usually comes outta hibernation after the season starts.

16. blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2016 at 4:56 pm

Interesting column about the DBacks blowing it insofar as picking up Segura, when they had a real opportunity to pick up Kendrick (a much better player). Numerous facts, backed up with stats to illustrate that GM Dave Stewart is way over his head, e.g., also made a big mistake in overpaying for Shelby.

• snarkk said, on February 2, 2016 at 9:53 pm

LaRussa has to be running that show, ultimately. If bad moves are made, the buck stops at Tony “I never knew Mac was doing ‘roids till the morning he confessed to the media” L’s desk at ARF headquarters…