Throw Another Loss on the Fire

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 2, 2016

Yesterday’s game was irritating because it was one of those games where you could just stop and notice, in nearly about any inning you wanted, that it wasn’t going to be our night. Smarge has a 47 pitch first inning. Longer than any inning for any Giant this  year. The longest of his career. All the contact, all the dinky dunky bullshit. Sometimes the ball doesn’t bounce your way. Sometimes you can’t get the ball to miss bats.

And then there’s this: we still have the WORST record since the break (15-28) worse than any other team in the major leagues. THE WORST. You know all those teams who are out of it, who’s fans gave up a long time ago? The Braves, the Brewers, etc? Those teams have been better than us for going into a second month now.

Trip on that and then realize this stretch run might be a mirage…….

1. unca_chuck said, on September 2, 2016 at 8:15 am

Yeah, that’ s been my problem with this team since the break. No inspiring play. They get down, they lose. No valiant comebacks, no digging deep to scratch out tough wins. The last AZ game was a bit of an anomaly in that I thought they were going to piss that one away.

The team just feels content to just fritter the season away.

• djloo27 said, on September 2, 2016 at 8:29 am

They fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way…

• chipower9 said, on September 2, 2016 at 10:18 am

Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town…
        Waiting for someone or something to show you the way – boy, does this line resonate with the current iteration of our team!

2. alleykat69 said, on September 2, 2016 at 8:31 am

Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to a batter and a pitcher. It’s not like Smarz gave in to Fowler I’m mean fuck 13 pitches and the ball 4 was close, but it set the tone for the game that’s for sure.
    Then when your O goes weakly down 20 straight outs to end it you have no chance…

• djloo27 said, on September 2, 2016 at 8:33 am

Well said, Kat…

3. gianthead said, on September 2, 2016 at 8:34 am

This is the difference between our 2010 Giants bullpen and this one. When we picked up Javier Lopez and combined him with Affeldt, when those two hit the mound they had this calm, cool presence that exhumed confidence telling the batter there is no way in hell that they are getting on base on them. They were going to shut those fuckers down no matter what.

The look on Will Smith’s face is: “Oh shit I don’t want to blow this or everyone is going to be mad at me.” And really the entire Giants pen in 2010 had that attitude and focus. This no name Edwards comes in for the Cubs and he had the 2010 Giants pen look of absolute confidence…Brian Wilson esquire. Edwards steps up and just started throwing hard and effortlessly. I said last night that this is the guy I want and I had never seen him before. If he throws Ike this with Chapman closing, no one will beat the Cubs.

• gianthead said, on September 2, 2016 at 8:44 am

I looked up Edwards’ stats. I really had never heard of him. Cubs brought him in late June and he had one blowup inning against the Cards walking 4 and giving up 5 earned runs.

Outside of that, Edwards had thrown 26 innings, striking out 30 and walking just 5. 6/1 ratio is excellent. And 4 earned runs for an ERA roughly at 1.33….I want an Edwards!

• chipower9 said, on September 2, 2016 at 10:20 am

Good call, G-Head…

4. willedav said, on September 2, 2016 at 8:34 am

Gotta admit those Super 70s gifs are pretty good.
    Tho technically it wasn’t til ’80s that Magic was throwing quadruple babes around his crib in LA in his own version of Showtime.
    Meanwhile, Derrick Rose and his 2 buddies, ugly story. At some point entitled athletes right to assault gals, especially when drugs/alcohol involved, has to stop.

• Flavor said, on September 2, 2016 at 11:39 am

Don’t ever call out super 70s on posting something from another decade. It sends him into a blind rage. He’s like the soup nazi when it comes to that shit

5. willedav said, on September 2, 2016 at 8:50 am

Mirage, I don’t think so, tho a bad road trip would be tough to come back from. they are one more hit etc. away. It’s not like they are getting blown up. I think the winning pieces are there and they know they can do better. LA has issues too, and WC teams aren’t romping either. Doable tho I suspect it’s gonna take everything Bochy has going for him.

• chipower9 said, on September 2, 2016 at 10:21 am

A dose of calm and reality. I’m drinking the Kool-Aid, too WillieD. Give us the WC even, and if our boys get healthy and hot, anything can happen. This fucker is not over by any stretch of the imagination.

6. Lurker John said, on September 2, 2016 at 9:03 am

I was thinking yesterday that this was the game the Giants could grab in this series. Beatable pitcher, the element of surprise, etc. You win this game and you can start thinking about splitting or even winning the series. You’d have the Cubs on their heels a bit. Make a statement.

Then Pence hits that monster jack into the teeth of a howling Chicago wind and it’s looking good. Posey had just grounded out weakly to second, but Pence picks him up with his 2-out moon shot. Yeah, baby. It’s our night.

Then Samardzija, with his single worst inning of the year, gets dinked to death and coughs up the lead. Everything he throws is as straight as an arrow. The Cubs foul of 30 pitches in the inning, blah, blah, blah. And STILL, they get the lead back heading into the late innings.

Then the team’s two worst bugaboo’s of all rears their ugly head yet again, the bullpen, and the offense, and the promising start goes up in smoke, and now you get the best part of the Cub’s rotation. 3 fucking hits. 5 runs, but 3 fucking hits.

It seems like the same old story since the all star break. Snake bit. That’s the term I think of when I think of the Giant’s second half. Time is starting to run short, boys.

7. chipower9 said, on September 2, 2016 at 10:26 am

Time is getting short, LJ, but I have to agree with WillieD’s take on things in his 8:50. We are two back of la bambinos, and they are not exactly sitting the world on fire. Then we are one of five teams who have a realistic chance of the two WC spots, and we are currently up 1.5 on the deadbirds. That series against StL mid-month is going to be huge…perhaps more important than the six we have left against the bums.

T it up boys…let’s rumble!

8. unca_chuck said, on September 2, 2016 at 10:33 am

Well, that ‘s the pisser. They are in these games. They are oh so close every fricking time. Torture, but this is the bad kind of torture where you end up bleeding, hurt, and disappointed. Hearing those Cubs fans singing after the win made me very angry for some reason. Like I wanted to scream “Your fucking grandparents weren’t even alive when you guys last won the series! 3 in 5, you giddy fucks!”

They either get out-pitched, out-hit, or out-penned. Good hitting and SP? The pen fails. Great pen work, and hitting? The SP fails. SP and pen are solid? The hitting fails.

We’re losing the close ones that we were winning.

9. unca_chuck said, on September 2, 2016 at 10:36 am

What gets me is losing games like Cueto’s. He’s doing great and unravels. The team just sits there and goes ‘oh shit. We have to score again? We blew our wad in the 2nd. We’re on fucking cruise control now.’

Much like yesterday’s game. We all know that this team can turn it around and rattle off like 8 of 10 or some shit, but we are stuck in 2nd gear.

10. djloo27 said, on September 2, 2016 at 10:52 am

They’re in amazingly good playoff position considering their post ASG record.
    It’s still very much under their own control.
    The waiver wire was awful quiet this year, wasn’t it?

• zumiee said, on September 2, 2016 at 11:33 am

The White Sox made a claim on Puig, which made no sense. The team that has had the WORST clubhouse fiascoes this season wanted to bring Puig in? So I guess the Dodgers declined to make a trade. But the Dodgers are not going to add Puig to their playoff roster, I would think, since For Whom The Bell Toles has had such a hot bat so far (as the league frantically works to compile a book on him), so Puig is the most lost soul of players out there. All of it brought upon him by his own behavior.

11. zumiee said, on September 2, 2016 at 11:34 am

You gotta give the Dodgers credit for finding Toles. The guy was literally working at a gas station at one point last year.

12. alleykat69 said, on September 2, 2016 at 11:37 am

I don’t give a rats ass about everyone on earth loving the fucking Cubs like it’s in the bank and their parade in Chicago!!!
    Their will always be one Steve Bartman fan in the stand that will fuck up their playoff run and keep their 100 plus futile streak alive!!!!!!!!
    Fuck the Cubs and the horse they rode in on!!🏇🏇🏇🏇🏇

• unca_chuck said, on September 2, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Wrigley is still one of the coolest places on earth to watch a game, though.

13. unca_chuck said, on September 2, 2016 at 11:59 am

You and me both, AK.

Zumie, the Dogs find OFers like spare change. We can’t find one with 2000 draft picks.

14. unca_chuck said, on September 2, 2016 at 12:03 pm

And so it goes . . .

• Macdog said, on September 2, 2016 at 12:09 pm

15. unca_chuck said, on September 2, 2016 at 12:09 pm

So, to sum up this sports year in the Bay Area:

The Sharks lose in 7
    The Warriors lose in 7
    The Giants are going from the best record at the break to the worst and out of the playoffs
    The 49ers are a running joke in the league.

Ahhhhhh. We’ll always have 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2015.

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

16. sfsarge said, on September 2, 2016 at 12:36 pm

What is going on today! Lester is dealing today, and then when one of our guys squares one up, it goes right to a defender. This is sooooo frustrating to watch!

17. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 2, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Suarez performing as expected for the Giants. Lester with the no-no through as the cubs are flying around and making plays on the every meekly hit ball. Mirage indeed..

18. Macdog said, on September 2, 2016 at 12:56 pm

12 straight innings without a hit. Someone call 911, CPR desperately needed at 1060 W Addison St,

• sfsarge said, on September 2, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Someone heard your call

19. sfsarge said, on September 2, 2016 at 1:15 pm

That’s what I’m talking about Hunter!!!

20. djloo27 said, on September 2, 2016 at 1:16 pm

A hunting we will go!

21. djloo27 said, on September 2, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Organist playing “Lean On Me” during mound conference…

22. djloo27 said, on September 2, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Motherfucker!!!

23. unca_chuck said, on September 2, 2016 at 1:23 pm

Jesus. Nooner getting nooned.

24. djloo27 said, on September 2, 2016 at 1:31 pm

I would PR for the sickly looking Brown…

25. djloo27 said, on September 2, 2016 at 1:59 pm

26. zumiee said, on September 2, 2016 at 2:04 pm

The Cubs are now 40 games over .500. They can be shut down in the playoffs, but they continue to roll through the regular season. The Dodgers series quickly forgotten by them.

• zumiee said, on September 2, 2016 at 2:05 pm

The Giants have the big disadvantage of not getting to play the Giants.

27. unca_chuck said, on September 2, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Once again. Score 4, lose by one. Hold ’em to 2, lose by 1. We’ll score 8 tomorrow and lose by 5.

This just gets soooooo old. We fucking pound the ball all day and they catch everything. They score on a fucking wounded duck by Fowler.

28. unca_chuck said, on September 2, 2016 at 2:14 pm

3 games up on the Mets for the WC. Thankfully those teams suck as well.

It comes down to who is going to suck the hardest. Which we have mastered. Mainly because the Dogs aren’t going to lose to the Pads and we are going to fall behind by 6 if we keep this up for the next few days.

29. Flavor said, on September 2, 2016 at 2:14 pm

15-29. I’m not giving up because if I do that I am disqualified from rooting for them in the playoffs. But I am releasing the emotion I have for these games. That’s the first step towards giving up……

• snarkk said, on September 2, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Not giving up but I’m free to say even more that this squad sucks. You can’t ignore the worst record in MLB in the second half, that can’t happen just due to bad breaks. Oh for 20 in a game, and oh for 12 innings over two games causes such records. Any other manager would be under big time media and fan pressure for this kind of cratering performance…

• unca_chuck said, on September 2, 2016 at 4:19 pm

The thing is, they WERE getting all the breaks before the, uh, break. Their best stretch in history or some shit.

My only hope is that they will revert to something like how the were a couple months ago. They don;t have to run the table, but fucking .500 ball at this point would be good enough. The only team running away with anything is the fucking soon-to-be-crying-in-their-beer Cubs and their god awful fans.

30. gianthead said, on September 2, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Well I thought not watching this game would change their luck and checked out a matinee of Hell or High Water…superb movie. Jeff Bridges steals the movie and should get serious consideration for Best Supporting Actor…then I caught the last inning on the Cubs radio broadcast…oy vey:(

31. unca_chuck said, on September 2, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Yup. Hey GH, have you seen Bone Tomahawk? Kurt Russell western flick. I hear that’s either really good but violent, or the worst thing ever done.

32. snarkk said, on September 2, 2016 at 4:16 pm

I just saw some vid of Kap last night for the first time, sitting here at the brewpub having a Lagunitas and a bowl of chowda. Bringing in the baseball angle, Sheeezus, I haven’t seen an awesome ‘fro like that since Oscar Frokin’ Gamble…

• unca_chuck said, on September 2, 2016 at 4:21 pm

He may not have been standing at attention, but his hair was.

I thought it was fucking awesome.

• Lurker John said, on September 2, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Gamble is perfect. I was thinking Wes Unseld, but Gamble is a better match. Gamble’s ‘fro had better depth than Unseld’s.

33. unca_chuck said, on September 2, 2016 at 4:23 pm

I always wondered what that line from Pink Floyd was, DJ.

34. snarkk said, on September 2, 2016 at 4:32 pm

If I were a Cubs fan, I’d be very afraid. Seems more rare for a team that cruises into the playoffs to actually win the title, than a team that limps in like the Giants may, and gets hot in the post season. I may be forgetting a team or two, but seems the last team to win it all that was kicking ass like the Cubs was the 1984 Tigers …

35. snarkk said, on September 2, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Brock Turner, the Stanford swimmer/student and rapist, released from S.Clara county lockup today after serving 3 months of 6 months sentence for raping a drunk, unconscious Stanford co-ed. Courtesy of Judge Aaron Persky. That’s Aaron Persky. Prosecution asked for 6 years. Upon his sentence, the prosecution pointed out that the judge knew in reality he was giving this rapist 3 months. If you live in Persky’s Peninsula area and have a chance at signing his recall petition, I suggest you do so. The honorable judge was recently granted his request to move from criminal court to civil court, after the recall gained ground. I suggest mass refusal of prospective jurors to serve on his juries, all should stand in court and flip him the bird in unison, and refuse to answer voir dire questions. As a dad of two girls, this hacks me off to no end. This putz is a disgrace to the bench and should be removed. I don’t advocate violence. But, as for this rapist Brock Turner, a half dozen of the victim’s male relatives and friends should be given 10 minutes in a closed room with him for stern reprimanding, no questions asked…

• Flavor said, on September 2, 2016 at 6:54 pm

I’ve followed this story closely since this fuck got his 6 month sentence. If you want to read a powerful letter from a victim to her rapist, read this. It’s incredible.

• snarkk said, on September 2, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Yes, I read it earlier, a few weeks ago. It is a moving read. I also read some comments from the rapist’s father, which were outrageous (I’m sure they can be googled), as if his young, convicted rapist son shouldn’t have been forced to be so inconvenienced by his conviction. The CA legislature just passed a new law generated from this outcome. It requires mandatory state pen time for rapists of unconscious persons. You’d think that would not be necessary. But, since we have putzes on the judiciary like the good Judge Aaron Persky, that’s Aaron Persky — we have to have laws made to make sure his idiocy and misogyny are not replicated. The bill is in front of Jerry Brown to sign, which he is expected to do…

• Lurker John said, on September 2, 2016 at 8:41 pm

It’s hard to fathom a pig who comes across a woman, alone, incapacitated and defenseless and decide that getting her help, making sure she’s okay, staying with her until help arrives is NOT the best course of action, but sexually assaulting her right where she lay, in the dirt and pine needles and behind a dumpster, IS.

These are the behaviors of a sociopath, someone with no conscience and no empathy for others. He belongs in prison.

I don’t know what’s going on with the judge, whether this kid’s wealthy parents have some pull, or made some bribes or what, but the has no business sitting on any bench anywhere. 3 months is a travesty of justice.

36. djloo27 said, on September 2, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Cards lose – ironically on a hit by Suarez…

• Macdog said, on September 2, 2016 at 7:25 pm

And so did everyone else — Mets, Marlins, Pirates.

• willedav said, on September 2, 2016 at 8:12 pm

somebody (actually 2 of them) has to back their way in.
      Giants might as well be one of them.

37. Flavor said, on September 2, 2016 at 7:31 pm

I made a pact with myself to not check the standings, NL or WC, till we stop having the worst record in either league since the all star break. Feel free to post anything you like but I will just…..look away.

• Macdog said, on September 2, 2016 at 7:45 pm

I hear ya, Giants have sucked all the fun out of scoreboard-watching.

38. willedav said, on September 2, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Stanford looks pretty good so far. Mac with best 90+ yd return that won’t count/no one will ever see.

Sparty holds off Furman Paladins of what used to be 1-AA.

As a kid, Richard Boone was one of my heroes.
    Have Gun Will Travel
    Wire Paladin San Francisco

Western tv (black and white era) dramas were awesome—Maverick, Rawhide…

• snarkk said, on September 2, 2016 at 9:37 pm

I remember the old Rawhide with Rowdy Yates and Wishbone, Gil Favor the trail boss.
      Also, Have Gun Will Travel, and then Maverick with Jim Garner — one of my favorite actors ever…

• snarkk said, on September 2, 2016 at 9:42 pm

39. wilcojoe said, on September 2, 2016 at 8:47 pm

K-State is not a very good football team (especially on offense) but they have one of the most underrated coaches in the game in old man Snyder.

40. zumiee said, on September 2, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Nice interview of Chris Haft by Marty Lurie tonight. Haft covers the Giants for MLB.com. No great revelations in the interview, but Haft seems like a pretty cool dude.

41. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 2, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Haft had this to say yesterday: There is “cause for concern: Recent malaise lasted so long and was so all-encompassing that (a) San Francisco can ill-afford another slump, and (b) the Giants can’t be considered truly strong in any phase of the game.” That latter part is something you’ll never hear the broadcasters say… I generally agree with most of what he says in his articles. Although “another slump” doesn’t quite describe this 2-month-long ongoing slide into the nether regions of baseball….

• zumiee said, on September 2, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Yeah, as I was listening to the interview, I had the thought that I don’t read his stuff as often as I should.

• zumiee said, on September 2, 2016 at 10:05 pm

I do read his stuff a lot in the off-season. He does more off-season writing about the Giants than the other beat writers. Maybe more budget at MLB.com?

42. zumiee said, on September 2, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Red Sox are putting a pounding on the A’s. Not a big shock.

• zumiee said, on September 2, 2016 at 10:14 pm

OK, I’m probably enjoying this A’s pounding more than I should. 🙂

43. djloo27 said, on September 2, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Maybe the Padres can hold onto a fuckin’ lead tonight…

• zumiee said, on September 2, 2016 at 10:27 pm

As usual, the Dodgers will probably be a challenge to put away in the bottom of the 9th.

44. zumiee said, on September 2, 2016 at 10:25 pm

I agree with what all you guys said about the rapist who got the ridiculously light sentence. I have nothing to add to what you guys said.

45. zumiee said, on September 2, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Dodgers lost.

• snarkk said, on September 2, 2016 at 11:44 pm

Good…

46. alleykat69 said, on September 2, 2016 at 11:48 pm

I’m just pissed off that the Giants can’t put up atleast a 3 game winning streak in the 2nd half!!! It’s just pathetic that in a weak ass NL with a team that should be top 5 when they were #1 at the break to play “Fuckin Worse then the expansion NY Mets with Roger Craig on the mound back in the 60’s!!!!!
    Fuck were better then shit!!! I’m Frustrated beyond belief with all these fucking 1 run losses and 3 hit bullshit games and our 10- 255 RISP crap!!!!! Fuck what does it take to get this fucking team to play some quality ball!!!!!! Fuck!!!!!!!! I’m almost done fucking venting!!!But FUCK IM having a Brain Anyserum right now and I’m drunk which is great cause I can’t stand what this fucking doing right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Fuck!!!!

• snarkk said, on September 2, 2016 at 11:50 pm

Dang, Kat. You’ve got a good skink goin’ on. I totally agree with you. I think…

47. alleykat69 said, on September 3, 2016 at 12:10 am

Well thank you Snarkk!!’
    I’m drinking Makers Mark on the Rocks 3 cubes and it’s all good!!
    I’m just really ticked off that their laying down in winnable games and can’t get a key hit !!! It’s one thing if it’s up to Constipated Rowand to hit his shitty 3 hopper to 3rd to kill any rally,which is a guaratee, but his sorry ass is not on the team anymore so why the fuck is the rest of team stoop to his level??????

• snarkk said, on September 3, 2016 at 12:21 am

I’m down with the Makers, Kat. Maybe throttle back to 4 cubes?… 😉

48. mrsprtdude said, on September 3, 2016 at 12:24 am

See Craigs 2:00pm post. I’ll root for them till the day I die, but for the 1st time since 2010 I see no way we can compete against the good teams even if we make it.
    PS Alleykat..MM is my go to as well:)
    PPS. Thanks to for reminding me who Posey has been reminding me of!!! Rowand of course.

49. djloo27 said, on September 3, 2016 at 6:39 am

Kat should fly to Wrigley and give them a little pre-game pep talk…

50. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Bummie unravelling a bit here.

51. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Ahhhhh, special K. I think we need him angry.