Trying Not To Stress On This Mess

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 3, 2016

Yesterday I said I’m not giving up but I’m taking the first step towards that (Oregon?) and that is trying to extricate myself from the normal emotions I’ve had for these games. You simply can’t will a forlorn team to victory and that’s what the Giants are right now. So, why spend time feeling shitty about it?

I woke up this morning remembering the 2014 team. At least, trying to remember them. I remembered Bum and Panda and….that was about it. I also remembered not allowing myself to believe they could actually pull that off until they were literally declared the NL rep in the World Series. I pulled up the post season 25 man roster just to get some of the old feelings back about that team.

Our SP’s were listed as Bum, Huddy, Peavy, Voggy. Hmmmm…. I think I’d take Bum, Cueto, Moore and Smarge over those 4.

Our 5 outfielders were….I can barely type this without laughing…..Blanco, Ishikawa, Morse, Pence and Juan Perez. Even a Span disliker like myself would prefer Pagan, Span and Pence out there…..

I probably shouldn’t have looked up that 2014 team. It’s screwing up my attempt to release myself from the emotions I’ve been having for the 2016 team.

The main emotion I’m having trouble with his *frustration*. I don’t understand why we are the worst team in mlb since the break. We have good SP and good enough position players to be AT WORST like a mid-pack team. I can’t put it on the coaching staff because it’s not their job to motivate these guys. The coaching staff could fuck it up if they were completely incompetent but not even R-Kelly could bungle that many *sends*. And it’s not fair to put it all on the bullpen. They haven’t been that bad. In fact, many games they are very good but no one seems to notice.

And yet here we sit at 15-29. Makes no sense to me at all! But hey, it’s been 20 years and I still don’t even know wtf *hakuna matata* means.

Just try to relax, Flavor. Exhale…Serenity now, serenity now……

1. djloo27 said, on September 3, 2016 at 2:33 pm

What an idiot!

2. gianthead said, on September 3, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Haha..hate the Cubs!

3. Lurker John said, on September 3, 2016 at 2:35 pm

A 5-4-6 DP.

4. Lurker John said, on September 3, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Needed that one. Grienke going for the Snakes tonight against the dog-ears.

5. Flavor said, on September 3, 2016 at 2:36 pm

not sure if there has ever been a simpler end to a Casilla save…..
    Brandon Crawford easily and far and away MVP of the game…..

6. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Textbook win there.

7. djloo27 said, on September 3, 2016 at 2:36 pm

My dad was actually the first robot ump.
    He called strikes with his right arm and fired new balls back to the pitcher with his left.

• Lurker John said, on September 3, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Where the hell did you find that? lol

• djloo27 said, on September 3, 2016 at 2:44 pm

I owned it 50 years ago…

• unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Holy shit! Double platinum there.

• Flavor said, on September 3, 2016 at 3:43 pm

@super70ssports would love this.

8. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Jesus. End up splitting here and I’d feel much better.

9. snarkk said, on September 3, 2016 at 2:38 pm

This IPA is tasting good now. That was like a damn playoff game. 4 hit win…

10. Flavor said, on September 3, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Best part is we shut those singing fucks up. Come on, when the game ends go home or go to a bar or something. Staying and singing is about the lamest thing I can think of doing…..

• zumiee said, on September 3, 2016 at 2:40 pm

11. Macdog said, on September 3, 2016 at 2:41 pm

That’s a big one.

• Flavor said, on September 3, 2016 at 2:42 pm

the wave or the win?

• Macdog said, on September 3, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Lulz, the W.

12. snarkk said, on September 3, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Don’t understand Rizzo there. That was total dumbass move. Posey was covering third for Nunez, but that should be no surprise. Base running gaffes by Vets in key plays like that are inexcusable…

• Flavor said, on September 3, 2016 at 2:59 pm

well, he had just come into the game. Maybe his head wasn’t totally into it yet.

13. snarkk said, on September 3, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Huge win today. 10 total hits in 3 games, and they managed to still win one. Can’t fault the pitching, it’s been nails…

14. snarkk said, on September 3, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Cards havre hit at least one HR in 22 straight games. Drooling here over that…

15. djloo27 said, on September 3, 2016 at 4:13 pm

That was really a “feel good” win.
    It even made me feel good.
    And the Relentless Zombies are getting their fuckin’ red feathered asses handed to them in Cincy…

16. Flavor said, on September 3, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Niners cut Bryce Treggs. I only watched a couple of pre-season snaps this year, did he get any run at all? If he can’t get open it just shows you the massive difference between college and pros.

17. wilcojoe said, on September 3, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Josh Rosen of UCLA does nothing for me. Jim Mora must think the same thing based on that shit play calling in OT.

18. willedav said, on September 3, 2016 at 5:59 pm

I can read almost anything here, but 400 one liners on McCoveyChron, no.

As for Haft and the Giants not being good at any one thing, um my Exhibits A B and C: the 3 widget pics to the right at top of every daily thread. Anyone else doing something like what Sabes FO and Bochy and his coaching staff have done over last 6 yrs? Cubs? Dodgers? Nats?

• zumiee said, on September 3, 2016 at 6:32 pm

I totally see that point, Willie, but Haft was only talking about the ’16 team on the field. But I would agree, there is great leadership in the organization a lot of other teams don’t have.
      And certainly, any team would love to have Bum pitching a big game for them. It’s an advantage for the Giants should they end up as a Wild Card team.

• zumiee said, on September 3, 2016 at 6:35 pm

And I agree about the McC Chronicle commenters. I’ve never found them interesting. A lot of superficial junk with no heart, in my opinion.

• willedav said, on September 3, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Seems to me every year Giants haven’t had much national support, even when they win.
      constantly overlooked, much to opponents peril.

19. zumiee said, on September 3, 2016 at 6:39 pm

The Relentless Zombies took a 9-1 loss today. Matheny probably had his blank 1,000 yard stare working in over-drive today.

• Flavor said, on September 3, 2016 at 6:45 pm

Daniel the Cardinal blogger emailed me the other day and is excited to get a *back and forth* going when we play them for 4 games in the middle of the month. He has to be as frustrated with his team as we are with ours……

• zumiee said, on September 3, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Yeah, that should be an epic series. It’ll be cool to see what he says about it. And he should take the “relentless zombie” thing as a compliment to his team. 🙂

• willedav said, on September 3, 2016 at 7:04 pm

very cool enjoy reading him. Always responds to stuff we post on Flap too, so he must have lot of respect for Peerless Leader Big Flavor.

• djloo27 said, on September 3, 2016 at 8:12 pm

I think he’s just grateful to speak to someone…

20. zumiee said, on September 3, 2016 at 6:46 pm

Kaepernick jerseys are selling in bigger numbers this past week, according to a news report. I personally haven’t seen anyone wearing one lately, but maybe that will change.

21. zumiee said, on September 3, 2016 at 6:52 pm

There’s a reasonable chance that Hill will no- hit the Padres tonight.
    All the more reason to root for the Red Sox to pummel the A’s again.

• zumiee said, on September 3, 2016 at 7:02 pm

And the Sox are doing that. 6-0 in the third inning.

• zumiee said, on September 3, 2016 at 7:14 pm

9-0 now. Good times for Billy Beane.

22. wilcojoe said, on September 3, 2016 at 7:14 pm

I remember trading emails with Chris Haft several years back. He always responded to every one and in a timely manner. Seemed like a pretty cool guy.

I was talking to a former college buddy of mine this week who covers UT football and basketball for the Hearst papers in Texas (Houston Chronicle and San Antonio Express) and he was telling me that he had a larger expense account working for our student newspaper at UT then he does now with Hearst Corp.

• zumiee said, on September 3, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Yeah, tough times in the newspaper world, and only going to get worse probably. Younger generations are not into newspapers, in general.

• djloo27 said, on September 3, 2016 at 7:35 pm

The east coast guys can relate to the old frustration of going to bed not knowing the west coast scores only to see that the morning papers often didn’t have them either…

23. snarkk said, on September 3, 2016 at 7:34 pm

I don’t know what the attraction is to be an A’s fan. Glutton for punishment? Masochists? At least for all the years the Giants were crap, we fans pretty much knew they had no shot. Every once in a while they would trade away a good player (hello George Foster), sometimes because they couldn’t afford him, sometimes by mistake, but generally the talent sucked, and the results reflected that. The A’s consistently trade away good to really good players as part of the business model…

• djloo27 said, on September 3, 2016 at 7:38 pm

Well, an A’s fan doesn’t have to be completely ancient to remember the glory days…

24. djloo27 said, on September 3, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Reddick’s finally heating up…5-0 LA

• Flavor said, on September 3, 2016 at 7:56 pm

sooner or later he had to hit one, right? I mean, even Rowand hit one occasionally.

25. zumiee said, on September 3, 2016 at 7:47 pm

The Dodgers will debut yet another AAA guy as a starting pitcher, tomorrow.

26. zumiee said, on September 3, 2016 at 7:51 pm

There’s no series this season that irks me more than getting swept by the Padres right after the All Star break.

27. snarkk said, on September 3, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Brisbee of the McCovey Chronicles set off a stat that is really mind blowing. The Twins today just snapped a 13-game losing streak. Post-AS break, the Twins are two games better than the Giants…

• Macdog said, on September 3, 2016 at 10:57 pm

The Angels had an 11-game losing streak in August and somehow are only one game under .500 since the break.

28. snarkk said, on September 3, 2016 at 10:54 pm

Again on the MChronicles, I read an article about the 1985 season, the only 100 loss season in SF history. Anyway, that year most home games were day games, a marketing effort to get people to come out and avoid the blustery, windy, cold nights at the Stick. Results: worse attendance, only 810,000 showed. A guy posted under the article and I LMAO when I read this:

” I went to all the games back then. Each fan had his own vendor.”…

• unca_chuck said, on September 4, 2016 at 8:06 am

Thankfully I was living on Colo then.

29. alleykat69 said, on September 3, 2016 at 10:58 pm

Yeah that really is ” mind blowing ” Snarkk!
    To lose 13 straight and still have a better 2nd half record then the G-men just shows the suckitude of futility every Flapper has had to deal with, and yet that 1st half when they did knock off a lot of bottom feeders to build a comfortable cushion helped keep them in this race along with the Wild Card!!!