That Bullpen

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 20, 2016

MadBum would be a big hit in prison. “Don’t look at me. Did you look at me? Stop disrespecting me!” It’s just such a simpleton approach to interacting with other humans.

Nothing to say about last night except the Giants learned a valuable lesson this season. You can’t build a 200 million dollar team and have it backed by a 10 cent bullpen. I like a lot of the guys in our pen, believe it or not. But collectively, they are not the right mix. The sad thing is that I am worried about management’s ability to build a bullpen for *today’s game.” I get that they built one that worked for the WS years. But frankly, I think that was lucky. The bullpen of today is stacked with dudes who throw gas. We have like one dude who throws gas and his location smokes copious amounts of pole. Plus, he doesn’t have the right make up for this job.

This is the same brass that thought that fucking lefty reliever was worth Bickford AND Susac. And he couldn’t be any more non-descript.

So don’t be surprised if this happens again next year…..

1. blade3colorado said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:02 am

Mel Gibson said this about women, “After about 20 years of marriage, I’m finally starting to scratch the surface of what women want. And I think the answer lies somewhere between conversation and chocolate.”

I think you can say just about the same thing regarding this season’s version of the San Francsico Giants.

• gianthead said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:19 am

Mel Gibson also once said (yelled) “Why don’t you shut up and BLOW ME!!!

That hasn’t worked for me at home yet either…

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:05 am

Another predictably terrible outcome. I’m not as down on Smith as others. He’s settled in nicely.

Flav, I meant to ask you about the Willie McGee interview. I just missed it and was bummed as I liked him as a player. Anything insightful to say?

• chipower9 said, on September 20, 2016 at 1:32 pm

I agree. I think Smith will be a nice piece going forward. He isn’t stellar, but he doesn’t suck either, IMO.

3. gianthead said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:18 am

It is hard to acknowledge, but of we made the playoffs, how the hell would we win a game??? Only way is to have Bum and Cueto go the distance each game and that is not going to work in a series for very long. I don’t care what Bochy thinks about Bum being fired up and not having him hit in the 8th. He should have at least pitched the start of the 8th. Javier Lopez just hasn’t got more than one big out in the last two months. Trotting him out there with what the pen has been through, we all know as Flappers just ain’t going to work.

Once Seager gets on and Strickland comes in, it was over….

• chipower9 said, on September 20, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Uh, how about scoring some fucking runs. You know…when a team puts up a crooked number a couple of times a game. That might work towards winning some fucking games. Our bats SUCK ASS.

4. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:31 am

In 2010, NLCS game 6 in Philly, Jonathan Sanchez had his little melt-down early in the game when he hit Utley, Utley threw the ball back at him, the benches emptied a bit, and Bochy pulled Sanchez, completely rightfully so, even though it was early in the game. Sanchez was actually never the same after that game, interestingly enough. But Bumgarner is not Sanchez. And MadBum had a 1-0 lead against the team the Giants are chasing, late in the game, a game the team really needed to win. He’d pitched so well and shown some fucking life in the dust-up with Puig, as stupid as it might have been, and he was under 100 pitches. Bumgarner seemed ready to put the team on his back all the way to a win. And Bochy took him out. White flag. Sadly predictable ending to yet another game they should’ve won in the most frustrating season of Giant-dom. It seems Bochy was reliving 2010, rather than remembering 2014.

• gianthead said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:04 am

Well put

• chipower9 said, on September 20, 2016 at 1:36 pm

I agree, Bum should have started the 8th. Fuck, if he comes in at 12-13 pitches, he is at 110. At that point, I trot his ass out there to start the 9th. I know Bum created the dust-up with Puig, but I think it was a swing and miss by Bochy to pull Bum.

5. mrsprtdude said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:43 am

Watched the end even though I knew the result..Now that the “bullpen sucks” train has momentum, we have had a number of bloops and grounders be hits. More than our fair share. That said..Pence has to catch that ball. He looked like Nelson Cruz out there.The runner had clearly planned to stop at 3rd, assuming the catch he never took off from second.Sees Pence holding the ball, either because he forgot the game wasn’t over or what i don’t know. The runner was stopping at 3rd. Likely would have lost anyway, but still very lame.

Has any one found out why Bum was taken out after so few pitches in such and important game???

6. Flavor said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:54 am

The Willie McGee interview: One interesting thing he noted is that nobody seems to switch hit anymore. I switch hit and I always just assumed it was because I am ambidextrous but McGee made it sound like dudes from back in the day decided to be switch hitters and would teach themselves how to do it. He said guys don’t want to do that anymore because it takes away from their power. He mentioned other things too but I gotta go. Maybe someone else heard it, too.

7. snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:58 am

Kuiper was Harbaugh-like on KNBR today. Not a happy camper at all. Very unusual. He basically said that Bum came out because he was outta gas. Then why did Bochy not want to talk?
    Things are definitely not good in Giants land…

• gianthead said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:08 am

Out of gas…bullshit. He just blew out the Fodgers bottom of the 7th…getting a-hole Puig on a simple grounder…

• chipower9 said, on September 20, 2016 at 1:38 pm

I ain’t buying that outta gas bullshit for one fucking minute. Bum was dealing in the 7th. I think there was a lot of gas left in that F-150’s tank.

8. unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 8:06 am

Mel Gibson also said “Fucking Jews…the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world.” He’s a shit-stain trilateralist believing fucknut.

Bummie out of gas? He blew his wad jawing with Puig? Yeah, this pitching matchup thing with Bochy has gotten way out of hand. It seemed to start in the Colorado game. The folks I was with were incredulous. I told them that we were having problems with the pen and Bochy was searching for answers.

Well, 8 blown saves later, and this one pitcher per batter shit isn’t working. I bet Bochy trots out the standard dogshit lineup of Z-Span leading off. Not that the lineup last night was spectacular, but that WAS Kershaw.

• blade3colorado said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:05 am

Hey Unca, chill . . . I should have editorialized and noted Gibson is a piece of shit . . . In short, you’re spot on. However, my point wasn’t the quoter (is that a word), but rather the quote, i.e., if you can figure out women, then it follows you can figure out the 2016 Giants. Kapisch?

By the by, the quote was taken from a number of “Answer” quotes at Brainy Quote (I should have selected the Bruce Lee quote if I had known my post would start a shitstorm from you and GH. Ha.)

• gianthead said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:11 am

I was being positive with my Mel GIBSON quote:)

• unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Hah! Doesn’t bother me, I just think he’s a nutcase that shouldn’t be heard from again.

9. mrsprtdude said, on September 20, 2016 at 8:16 am

Despite this who shit storm of a month..we are tied for a spot in the playoffs..If we make it we still have a shot. Players revert to the mean. Our pitchers get 3/4ths of the hitters out. The saves will happen again. St Louis sucks too. Every team in NL ( except maybe the Cubs) have issues too. All beatable, as 2014 showed. Cubs will be under tremendous pressure if they make NL championship series. That’s my goal, to get that far. If we falter and the Cubbies make it, the i can root for them. So their fans can feel what 2010 was like.
    Just imagine..If we make it, we will have almost no pressure, because it will be a miracle:)

10. unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 8:26 am

Hard to have that viewpoint, Dude, when you take into account the heights to which they fell from.

Sure they are starting from here now. I even felt that way about a week ago. When they started taking it to StL.

But when they just gave away 3 more 9th inning leads, these guys have to be shell-shocked. I don’t see them coming out of this funk.

Pence dropped a fairly easy catch last night to end the game. Are they all checked out mentally? It sure looks like that to me. No one seems to give a shit at this point.

11. Flavor said, on September 20, 2016 at 8:46 am

Just go back and consider what 2010, 2012 and 2014 felt like in September. There was excitement, energy, hopefulness….and now look at this Sept. I’ve never seen a deader SF Giants team in all my days.

• chipower9 said, on September 20, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Agree, Flav. There was BIG energy rolling into the late season in all those years. This year sucks.

12. snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 8:48 am

I have not been this hacked off about the giants in years. When they were bad for years, it was a resigned expectance, enjoy the game and the little blips of success. Now that they’ve been champs recently, this falling off a cliff is hard to stomach, let alone understand…

13. mrsprtdude said, on September 20, 2016 at 8:50 am

I totally agree with you Chuck. I’ve been more pessimistic than most, so I thought I’d cheer myself up with a little optimism. It worked a little bit. Momentum can swing both ways. After the 3 wins vs az I was still thinking we will make it…Craigs post a few days ago showed that we have won games after a blown save. We will win the next 2 and go from there.

14. unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:05 am

Well, that’s what is so weird. In the past, the team, even when down, was up. They were encouraging each other and fighting. Now they just seem resigned to failing.

15. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:27 am

There really is no explanation. Or, more likely, there are so many explanations. I think it’s also possible Bochy has just hit the wall and he’s done. He seemed to lose insight or instinct on how to manage this second half, and now it seems he’s also lost the ability to get the guys to win. I kept expecting them to finally hit a groove and rattle off a bunch of wins, like they did before. And now there’s just not enough time left to imagine them putting it together at this point. It’s just painful to watch.

16. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:30 am

And last night’s game was among the most painful, to me, because Bochy trusted that horrible bullpen more than he trusted the guy who carried the team to the championship 2 years ago and who was the exact guy in that exact situation to do the job. Dead men walking, man….

17. theroooster said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:31 am

“Don’t look at me…”
    Bumgarner’s tenuous grip on his emotions is starting to fray.
    Puig continues to look at the oncoming train wreck as it flies off the rails…
    “Don’t look at ME”!!!
    He looked to be well on his way to a CG shutout before his little emotional breakdown.
    Strange dude.

• Lurker John said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:34 am

You’re the Dodger fan, right?

• blade3colorado said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:51 pm

LOL

• alleykat69 said, on September 20, 2016 at 11:37 am

Fuck off Rooster!
      To even have a lowlife piece of sewage waste like Puig in your org who’s even more of a shit disturber then Bumgarner and has no fucking W/S rings to shine has no clout with me!!!
      Puig should be in a Cuban cell smoking Castro’s pole everyday!!!

• blade3colorado said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Good one ak

• chipower9 said, on September 20, 2016 at 1:44 pm

Rooster – go fuck yourself. No one wants to hear you come in here and crow after your fucking boys in blue win a fucking game. You smoke pole dude. Just get the fuck lost…

• blade3colorado said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:53 pm

18. Macdog said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:37 am

I just watched the Pence play. Yes, he should’ve caught it. But then, after he gets the ball, he hesitates throwing it back to the cutoff man, his body language saying, “Why the fuck am I bothering with this?” before he actually does make a throw. What the hell is going on there? When even Pence has thrown in the towel, there’s no hope left for this team.

• sandog said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:15 am

Great point. I noticed that too. I turned it off just as Seager was going into what looked like was going to be an unnecessary head first slide to score the winning run. That pissed me off too.

• gianthead said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:21 am

Again, another comment on the nails from MacDog…I didn’t really blow up about it last night because once he fell behind aGon 2-0, I felt the jig was up as well. Our Giants of the past, and not just the world series years but during the Bonds and Will Clark/Roger Craig years would never ever ever have gone into the first post all-star series into a place like San Diego and get swept. Just would never have happened….

19. Lurker John said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:40 am

Removing Bumgarner after 97 pitches was a mistake, regardless of the little skirmish in the 7th inning. For whatever reason, Bochy has misplaced his magic touch with the pitching staff. The dude was working on a one hitter with 10 K’s through 7, fer chrissakes, and completely dominating the Dodgers. Pulling him in favor of a leaky and unreliable bullpen was stupid. The past week of bullpen cave-ins alone should warrant leaving Bum in the game.

The second Strickland came in I had a sense of foreboding. He’s the best in the league at getting a guy into a 2-strike count, and the worst at putting him away. When you’re throwing 100 mph, you bust that fucker in with that 100 mph cheese.

I’ve said this before, but the pen’s biggest problem isn’t stuff, it’s coming in and throwing strikes. They are constantly behind in the count.

• willedav said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:57 am

True. Law got behind too from minute he came in.
      Lopez had 2 strikes but couldn’t put Seager away, another long standing problem.

20. Lurker John said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:50 am

If this thing ends with the Giants not making the playoffs, we count on one thing, and that’s a pretty good sized overhaul of the lineup and the ‘pen. Playing in AT&T is no longer an excuse. These extended stretches of vanishing offense kill this team and waste a ton of quality starts by this very good pitching staff . Bring somebody in who can hit, sign a slugger, get an actual lead-off man, send Span packing with a fare-thee-well and a bus ticket in hand.

Sign some freakin’ top flight bullpen guys. It’s not like there’s none available every year. Make a trade for some young HITTING prospects.

Spend some of those millions of dollars you’re swimming in, GIANTS, and get this thing shored up. You’re one of the wealthiest franchises in the game. Time to open up the purse strings and make some moves. And before someone says they already did, I mean for some bloody HITTERS. RBI MEN. SLUGGERS. OBP MEN.

/rant

• chipower9 said, on September 20, 2016 at 1:49 pm

I agree with the overhaul piece, LJ, but unfortunately, Span is going NOWHERE. Dude is inked through ’18 at 9 mil each of the next two years, and there is a mutual 12 mil option with a 4 mil buyout. Fucking suck ass contract! Swing and a miss by Sabevans on that one!

Span has said he was not in shape coming in (he was rehabbing from off-season surgery). He says things will be different next year…that he will be in shape, and the results will be different. I sure the fuck hope so!

• Lurker John said, on September 20, 2016 at 3:06 pm

You’re right, chi, just wishful thinking on my part. Okay, so he wasn’t in shape. He’s had almost a whole season to work himself into shape, so I’m not too sure about that one. This is baseball not Ironman Triathlons. I sure the fuck hope so too, because right now he’s shaping up like another Rowand.

• chipower9 said, on September 21, 2016 at 7:04 am

I agree. I am just the messenger here…passing along what I heard.

21. Lurker John said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:52 am

BF, I don’t know why you think the Giants lucked out putting together the WS bullpens. I look at it as savvy baseball work by one of the best GM’s around. They brought in guys with a lot of talent and Rags took it from there and got everything to mesh smoothly.

• chipower9 said, on September 20, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Agree. I see little luck there. I see more genius by Sabean.

22. willedav said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:02 am

As I was watching Lopez, I wondered why SF put the big shift on vs. Seager.

Lopez usual m-o vs. LHs is to go way down and away. So unless you get a complete rollover, where is the ball most likely to go if he hits it, other than left side of IF where there is only one defender?
    iirc, Seager burned SF with this once before, lining soft single or double down LF line.

Fun fact: Cubs and Maddon (whom I can’t stand) employ shift the least often of any NL team.

It is defensible to utilize a LHP vs. LA as they have league worst OPS vs. LHP and Bum had dominated them.
    But taking him out was ill advised.

On the dustup—one Giant actually had his arms around Puig and was pulling him away but I couldn’t see the number. Any idea who? Pagan or Gorkys?

• Macdog said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:07 am

Miller on the radio said it was Nunez.

• willedav said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:51 am

Thx. Kinda funny to see Belt of all people figuring out he better be in front of Bum as he sees him not walking away from it.

• djloo27 said, on September 20, 2016 at 12:01 pm

It was definitely Nunez…

23. gianthead said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:32 am

One funny moment in the dust up is that Seager runs over to Crawford and grabs him around the shoulder and away from any dust up as if to say hey let’s stay out of this together and I’m holding on to you and you hold on to me. You actually see Crawford laughing.

In our three WS runs, it was noted how Bochy and Sabean at home after games would just hang out and drink wine into the wee small hours. Is Sabean even hanging out with Bochy post-game these days??? I suspect with the health issue Bochy is not pounding the vino as he once had. And then he does not have Flannery around either. Has Boch lost his love of the game in some form??? Or his love of 3-4 bottles of merlot????

Any chance he steps away? Do they turn to Bud Black, who I think a lot of us like??? I would suspect they would just boot Boch upstairs to an advisor role and he plays out his contract. I would have thought the idea was crazy a month ago but now that I type it, it would not shock me. I mean had Boch ever ever been booed before at home???

• sandog said, on September 20, 2016 at 11:25 am

Good points. Same as you, I’m starting to think that Bochy not coming back is not as crazy as it sounded a month ago either. I hope he comes back, but man he looked as frustrated as I’ve ever seem him last night. If he did leave, I’d be down with Bud Black taking over. Brenly would be on my short list too.

• gianthead said, on September 20, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Yeah Brenly is an obvious choice…

24. Irish Kevin said, on September 20, 2016 at 11:43 am

Well with all the comments about no spark, giving up, a lot of that falls on the Manager, sure players have support the manager, but when the manager keeps trotting out a closer that clearly can no longer do his job, players must be thinking WTF is going on.

• chipower9 said, on September 20, 2016 at 1:54 pm

I hang a few on Bochy for some of his judgment calls, but bullshit, a LOT of this is on the players…especially the ones with bats in their fucking hands. Post AS break: 26th in OPS , and are 29th in runs scored. You don’t win many games like that. If they scored a few more runs a game, the bullpen and who the fuck is the closer would not be such a profound topic.

• Irish Kevin said, on September 20, 2016 at 8:29 pm

We’ll being up 4-1 in the 9th and then losing it is not the boys with the bats in there hands, I don’t think that is even a save opportunity. But you are right a lot of one run losses that should not have happened if they had scored more runs

25. zumiee said, on September 20, 2016 at 11:56 am

The decision to not let Bum pitch the 8th is frustrating, but it sounds like Bum may have just run out of gas. It can happen, even for the big hoss. Kuiper is probably delivering an accurate message.
    Bum’s behavior towards Puig was unacceptable, though. In the past, maybe a case could be somewhat made that Bum was doing some old-school enforcing of unwritten rules about the way the game is supposed to be played. But there was none of that last night. Bum was acting like some kind of bi-polar case. He wasn’t respecting the game at that point, and it kind of made me wonder if these outburst have ever really been about respecting the game, and are just outbursts by a guy with anger issues. I hope he doesn’t have these outbursts off the field. And they need to stop on the field.

26. djloo27 said, on September 20, 2016 at 12:01 pm

I wonder why Brenly never got another job after winning the whole thing.
    Same for Billick in football…

• chipower9 said, on September 20, 2016 at 1:56 pm

I have heard that Brenly chose to go to the booth. Probably a smart move. But he would be on my short list for someone to replace Bochy.

• gianthead said, on September 20, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Brenly interviewed for the Nats job when they hired Matt Williams instead couple years ago…

27. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 20, 2016 at 12:13 pm

I was okay with pulling Bumgarner after his dust up with Puig but Bochy’s unwillingness to talk about the decision is bizarre. Marty Lurie put it best on The Twitter “Why so secretive as to what is a very simple baseball question..”why did you take Bumgarner out after 7″ been asked over 150 years of ball?”

When Pence is giving less than full effort you’ve really got to wonder what the heck is going on. I hate to say it but Bochy has clearly lost the club. It’s hard to see him coming back. With the exception of Raghetti the club will probably want to dismiss the coaches so maybe he uses that as an out and takes a stand for “his guys”, yada, yada. As far as replacements go, I would rather see Decker or Muelens and wouldn’t even consider Brenly. Mainly due to his Byung-Hyun Kim act in the 2001 WS.

• chipower9 said, on September 20, 2016 at 1:57 pm

I don’t see it. If Bochy walks (and they send him upstairs) they yeah, the new manager probably wants to pick his guys. Hell, Rags may just punch out at that point, too.

28. Flavor said, on September 20, 2016 at 12:13 pm

I said “lucked out” about the bullpen because they put together a group of guys who aren’t typical stud bullpen guys. To get an entire group of pitchers like that, who aren’t stud gas throwers, is unusual.

29. willedav said, on September 20, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Baseball graveyard is littered with guys who could throw hard but couldn’t put the ball where they wanted, or at least far enough out of a hitter’s happy zone to avoid critical damage. That’s Casilla’s problem and Strick too. He left a pitch up and close enough to plate where Turner could line it into RF for a hit and hung one to AGon who crushed it.

It’s the same problem with all of them, including Gearrin and Osich–not lack of speed, command.

• chipower9 said, on September 20, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Osich is fucking lights-out against lefties. Check the splits. He should be the new Lopez for next year. He only comes in to get the tough leftie out.

• Lurker John said, on September 20, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Exactly Willie. So much more to pitching than throwing hard. Strick and Osich are indeed exhibits A & B. Osich has an ungodly amount of talent, until he learns to harness it, we’ll see more of the same inconsistency.

• Lurker John said, on September 20, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Sorry, didn’t see your post, chi. I agree, Osich has a filthy, nasty, evil slider. “Exploding slider…” to quote Kevin Costner in Bull Durham. It’s one of the best I can remember in recent years, but he has to throw strikes to set it up.

30. willedav said, on September 20, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Pedro Baez, who threw 96+ last night, has given up 11 HRs in 69 innings. Sounds like Strick Jr.

Btw, Zum is completely right about Baggs blog and SJ Merc. I checked back in there and no one from old Blog comments anymore on game stories from him except trolls. 3 different columns as of today with 0 comments.
    There is a story there somewhere and I wonder if there is a Baggs side that will ever come out. I know some guys over there used to complain about being booted off for language, but just to dump the whole thing seems odd, and unfortunate.

31. mrsprtdude said, on September 20, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Maybe we need to hire a better pitching coach? A guy who could convince these guys the 93 with movement and location is a lot better than 98 straight. Throw as hard as you can and you lose control. The list of guys in baseball history who threw over 95 consistently is very very small. The great all throw 92-93 with pinpoint accuracy…Every guy we bring up threw the organization is the same. No clue where the ball is going.

• Lurker John said, on September 20, 2016 at 3:20 pm

I don’t know, I think Rag’s resume speaks for itself. Some dudes never learn to hit their spots, be it talent or something else. Like Willie said, the baseball graveyard it littered with guys who threw hard and never made it.

32. chipower9 said, on September 20, 2016 at 1:23 pm

I think between all of us, we have used every fucking word in the book to describe this team, our feelings about this team, and everything else under the damned sun.

As soon as the bums tied it last night, I had seen all I needed to see…I knew our boys were serving this game up on a silver fucking platter.

Not sure how many games I will watch rest of the way out. I am just tired of this “Groundhog Day” effect…another day, another late lead, another fucking blown save.

This is the most fucking frustrating stretch I can remember in being a Giant fan…

33. chipower9 said, on September 20, 2016 at 1:31 pm

So, is the bullpen really the culprit?

I was out running errands this morning and heard Kruger ask the same question. So, I knew our offense sucks but had not really looked at any team stats.

When you know that our boys, post All Star Break, are 26th OPS , and are 29th in runs scored, well, there are other guilty parties to hang some of this shit on, IMO.

Bochy owns some of these losses based on his moves. The offense owns some of it, and the bullpen sure as hell does too.

But seriously, if our boys scratched-out another couple of runs a game (and if my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle), we’re probably pretty damned happy with where they would be.

Sigh…

• unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 2:40 pm

30 blown saves means they had leads. Just going middle of the road on those is a 15 fucking game swing.

34. djloo27 said, on September 20, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Who do we prefer over this bunch? The God Squad? The Bowker Gang?

Whenever I say I want Panda back nobody responds. What if he got in reasonable shape (for him)?
    Don’t you think the Bosox would pay a good chunk of his salary and/or take back one of our lousy contracts (Cain/Span) in return to balance it out and unload him? Don’t you think he would be motivated to resurrect his career and image in San Francisco where he will always be a hero? The negative stuff he said on the way out is forgivable. I think they miss his presence and talent…

• blade3colorado said, on September 20, 2016 at 8:05 pm

My take is that you never go back. To use my earlier metaphor of women (sans Gibson) – would you go back to an ex wife? Not this kid.

35. unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Panda can replace Lou Seal as the team mascot. Other than that, he ain’t on the team, DJ.

Yeah, the bullpen comment is odd, BF. The GIants were the first team to really build a pen and pay it accordingly. Eyebrows were raised at the money Affeldt got. Lopez, as well. And on down the line. We are the reason Will fucking Smith cost so much.

• Lurker John said, on September 20, 2016 at 3:23 pm

LOL. Too funny. They’d have to let out Lou’s costume I’m afraid.

36. Flavor said, on September 20, 2016 at 2:58 pm

i don’t understand this, waz he mean?

Casey SternVerified account
    ‏@CaseyStern
    Asked Jeff Samardzija about Tim Tebow…his response: “I actually played two sports”

• zumiee said, on September 20, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Sounds like Smardj wanted to deflate the Tebow thing, and toot his own horn a bit.

37. unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Tebow’s try at baseball?

38. zumiee said, on September 20, 2016 at 3:16 pm

In addition to players getting older, and some in decline; I wonder about the psychology of this Giants team. Has a kind of ennui set in? Does the team lack purpose? When you’ve won 3 championships in the last 7 years, do these regular season games just become hard to find purpose for? And the playoffs become harder to care about? Are they bored with it all, and just slog through for the paycheck? These guys have climbed Mt. Everest a few times in recent years, and is it getting hard to summon interest for climbing Mt. Everest again?

• djloo27 said, on September 20, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Wasn’t a problem before the break, Zum.
      And there’s been a lot of turnover on the roster since 2010…

• zumiee said, on September 20, 2016 at 3:49 pm

That’s a good point; but it’s just so mystifying why this team looks so old and tired and played-out in the second half. They’re not all THAT old, overall.

39. unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Yeah, you be hard-pressed to find 5 now that are still here from 2010.

40. zumiee said, on September 20, 2016 at 3:51 pm

There have been a lot of interesting thoughts on the Flap about what could be wrong with the team. It will be interesting to see if anything much is revealed during the off-season by players or anyone else. Maybe it will take years to get the full story.

41. alleykat69 said, on September 20, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Now the fucking Dodgers are wearing “Don’t Look At Me T- Shirts!!
    Fuck your sorry asses!
    Try winning a W/S title like our 3 in 5!!
    Oh that’s right you fucking can’t!!!
    1988??? Yeah that’s right ,you had Hollywood Regan as the Prez pretty pathetic if you ask me!!!

• unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 4:16 pm

They can laugh about it all they want. If I was in the Giants locker room I’d be worrying about winning games.

If Bummie getting pulled had anything to do with his ridiculous stare-down with Puig, then Puig won.

• unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 4:18 pm

that being said, an actual fight might light the night, right?

How’s that for word origami? Pretzel logic? Uh oh, I feel a song coming on . . .

• unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 4:19 pm

As Dan Quayle said, a mind is a terrible thing to lose . . .

• alleykat69 said, on September 20, 2016 at 4:31 pm

From a guy who couldn’t spell potato I guess so…

• zumiee said, on September 20, 2016 at 4:21 pm

It’s kind of funny how the Dodgers always over-celebrate stuff, like jumping in the swimming pool at the D-Backs ballpark. They haven’t done jack in 27 years, and they never seem to really understand how to win in the playoffs. Last year, the Mets just shut them down in the playoffs. It’ll be interesting to see if this Dodgers squad is any different.

• unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 4:44 pm

.baseball is like that. You wouldn’t see that in the NFL. Maybe for a conference championship, but even that is muted. Odd because baseball, on field shit is met with such animosity. In football they let it all hang out on the field.

42. zumiee said, on September 20, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Bum has, for years, been the most hated player by Dodgers fans. The way he’s won so many World Series rings infuriates them, as he’s having the playoff career they wish Kershaw was having.

43. djloo27 said, on September 20, 2016 at 4:33 pm

3B Eduardo Nunez (R)
    CF Gorkys Hernandez (R)
    C Buster Posey (R)
    RF Hunter Pence (R)
    LF Mac Williamson (R)
    SS Brandon Crawford (L)
    1B Brandon Belt (L)
    2B Ehire Adrianza (S)
    P Johnny Cueto (R)

44. djloo27 said, on September 20, 2016 at 4:38 pm

I have a strong feeling Ehire will go deep tonight.
    Maybe twice…

• unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Great. But what will he do in the game?

• snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Try Tums…

45. unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Mac the knife cracks the lineup.

46. zumiee said, on September 20, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Adrianza starting; I think Bochy is just trolling the Giants fans now.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 20, 2016 at 5:25 pm

With Panik at .151/.220/.189 in September what’s to lose?

47. gianthead said, on September 20, 2016 at 5:34 pm

The Bum has said that he uses these blowups to fire himself up. I highly doubt he then wanted to come out of the game. And I don’t care one whiff if he looks like an asshole…he is our asshole and F the Fodgers and Puig any day….

48. snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Lots of chatter on Bochy today in various places. Lot of it not good. A main point I’ve heard and it’s been marked here is that he needs to just stop overmanaging this Pen. Constantly inserting/pulling guys for the lefty righty thing is telling guys that hey!, you guys are POS, so I’m plugging and playing all of you”. These guys probably have tired arms, they are constantly up every game and getting warm to face one guy, two guys max…

49. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Pretty much everyone on the team is to blame for this debacle except most of the starting rotation. If hitters had hit and relievers had relieved, the team could’ve overcome the Peavy/Cain pain and still won. But it’s the manager’s job to keep the train rolling and to fix any derailments along the way. Bochy has managed like a doddering old has-been, for whatever reason (health, fatigue, old-man-itis), and I love the guy and wish him well, but he’s done and should not be back as manager. This team is likely going to miss the playoffs this year, disastrously so, and there’s no way the team could come back next year “as is” with the commitment and energy needed. I hope they move Brucie upstairs to finish out his contract, he’s done.

50. Flavor said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:16 pm

I’m still in the camp that’s tired as fuck of Bumgarner’s antics. What did he get out of puffing his chest and barking at Puig last night? Either fight, ACTUALLY FIGHT, or stop looking for these fake-man stare down contests.Bum probably hates half the guys he plays against and and doesn’t do this with anyone else. STFU, stop worrying about which direction Puig is looking, and pitch the fucking baseball…..

• djloo27 said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:20 pm

He couldn’t have pitched any better, Flav. I think he’s frustrated because he should have about 19 wins…

• Flavor said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Baggs said Bochy pulled him because his adrenaline was sky high after the *fight* and he didn’t think he’d be effective going back out there. That’s on him, no Bochy. If he doesn’t pull that absurd he-man bullshit he would have stayed in the game, maybe even gone complete game.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:51 pm

MadBum early in his career had some “temper issues” that might’ve affected his game, but it has seemed that as he has matured, he has still performed well even if a bit “amped up”. He’s not a fragile headcase anymore, he just gets riled a bit at times, which I have no problem with. Geez, someone on this dead-ass team needs to exhibit something. If the team had a stellar ‘pen, fine, but they don’t, it sucks. MadBum was dealing. Pulling him sucked all further life out of the team last night. Or maybe it just seems like that. You don’t pull your ace when he’s dealing and still under 100 pitches. Well, I wouldn’t have. Guess that’s why Bochy wears the big hat.

51. djloo27 said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Turning point?

52. djloo27 said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Dumber than the piss I left behind in the toilet…

53. snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Plenty of conjecture on why Bochy pulled Bum when he was on a roll. If the reason were nothing special, Bochy would have explained. It’s true Bum pitches off stride when he’s PO’d, plenty of examples of that, and guys hit dingers off him when he’s unfocused. I agree with BF, blowing up at Puig and others is no bueno. It’s dumb, it’s getting old. Not to mention a bad look. He needs to act that way to get up for pitching? I doubt that. Anyway, how would Bum know Puig was staring at him, if Bum weren’t looking back at Puig? Puig would have as much reason to go nuts at Bum, if looking at somebody is a baseball crime. Bum needs to cut out the Travis Bickle act — just go into the dugout to get set for the next inning…

54. snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Crawford has a dislocated pinky finger…

55. zumiee said, on September 20, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Belt, forever testing his knowledge of the strikezone vs. the homeplate umpire’s knowledge of it; but not understanding that the homeplate umpire really has the last say on that. Maybe Belt will realize that someday. Maybe.

56. Irish Kevin said, on September 20, 2016 at 8:25 pm

There is the very reason they lose games, bases loaded and not one run scored! Pathetic

57. zumiee said, on September 20, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Relentless zombies with another likely win in Colorado.

58. zumiee said, on September 20, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Braves come through again to help the Giants.

59. zumiee said, on September 20, 2016 at 8:45 pm

You can tell the Giants are going to be spending the next 10+ years trying to figure out how to get Seager out.

60. zumiee said, on September 20, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Matador OOO defense. It’s amazing how the Giants front office loves this guy.

61. djloo27 said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Williamson is a fuckin’ hopeless stiff…

62. djloo27 said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Another worthless fuck…

63. zumiee said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:12 pm

More of that awesome OOO defense.

64. Macdog said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Can Buster still play shortstop?

65. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Loo, good idea for a new little Flap game. Kind of like those old “mad libs” games we played as youngsters. Just fill in the blanks any way you see fit: “_____ (noun/person) is a ____ (adjective) _____ (adjective) _____ (noun).”

• djloo27 said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:19 pm

I like it!

66. djloo27 said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:19 pm

The season is over.

• alleykat69 said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:33 pm

It’s not over till Bochy Rams his U Boat into Pearl Harbor..

67. zumiee said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:20 pm

And now Cueto’s hurt.

68. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Sadly, Loo, I agree. Actually, I was feeling that about 2 weeks ago, despite the math.

69. alleykat69 said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Fantastic work by Okert!
    In fact 2 good,Boch will have to pull him for sure after those 2 straight K’s..

70. djloo27 said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Any report on how long Crawford will be out?
    No word from Scully…

71. alleykat69 said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:41 pm

You know Fuck that strategy! If anyone should never swing the bat it’s OOO!!!

72. djloo27 said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:52 pm

Poor little girl caught picking her nose on camera by Scully.
    That’ll be all over the world tomorrow…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Was it a “clean pick”?

• sandog said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:05 pm

She didn’t really fully commit to it. It was a half-hearted effort, at best. I would compare it to Pence on that last play last night.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:09 pm

lulz

• snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:15 pm

She can deny it, just like Harbaugh did. Last week the game video caught him picking and chewing it. At a presser, somebody asked him, and he flat denied he’d EVER eaten a booger. Apparently, based on our current presidential politics, bald-faced lies that are easily provable as lies are the ways to win friends and influence people…

73. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on September 20, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Not sure I understand why 000 keeps getting trotted out there. Why not give Specs more playing time? We already know what 000 can do (not much), let’s see if Specs’ occasional clutch hit off the bench might actually translate to day to day performance…

• snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:05 pm

He’s got a great glove. Except for the errors…

74. snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Well, got the 1-0 lead heading into the late innings. Should be a piece of cake to nail this one down…

75. sandog said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Did anyone else catch that stat Scully mentioned? Something like Giants being 5-5 this season when leading after 8 innings, while the rest of the league is 211-9.

• snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:20 pm

I heard from Miller that the Giants are now 1 for 32 pinch hitting in September…

76. snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Smith just mowed down the Dodgers in the 8th. I vote he comes in to close the 9th. Can Bochy avoid his urge to bring in somebody else?…

• sandog said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Dirt made a good point that Smith has settled down a bit. I think we all remember Affeldt fondly for his post season dominance, but he stunk it up on more than a few occasions over the years. I still think we overpaid for Smith, but maybe he is gonna be ok after all.

77. unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Jesus Christ. At what point does this qualify for Theatre of the Absurd?

Yet another 1-0 lead going in to the 9th? Will Will come back?

I think Bochy is resisting his urge to warm up 6 guys.

• snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:23 pm

I’m going to do it.
      My first one.
      Lulz !…

78. unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:22 pm

Belt!!!!

79. Macdog said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:22 pm

So now we’ll blow a 2-run lead in the 9th.

80. unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:23 pm

I’m not as down on Smith as I was a couple weeks ago. Moore on the other hand needs to lay off the walks.

81. unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:27 pm

000 should be on 2nd. Fucking ball wan in the air for 10 seconds. Stupid fuck lollygagged it.

You know what that makes him? A lollygagger!

• Macdog said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Yeah, I’d like to see whether he was running or watching,

• snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:33 pm

He probably didn’t want to get thrown out at second. Giants score so easily these days, he didn’t want to force the defense to make a play that could end the inning…

82. snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Well, I’ll join the optimism. Smith was looking great to close, now Bochy pulls him for a pinch hitter. What are the odds that actually results in more runs, as opposed to Smith nailing down the 2-0? Uh oh…

• snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:38 pm

Parker got the pinch hit, but as usual, no runs after…

83. Macdog said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:37 pm

This is as good a time as any to let the dog out.

84. snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:40 pm

I gotta find a rosary, start workin’ the beads…

85. snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:43 pm

Bochy, leaving Romo in, sayin’ fuck it, so what Ethier is a lefty.
    Why not? Bochy doesn’t want Romo laughin’ at him again…

86. Macdog said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Sergio!

He who laughs last gets the last three outs.

87. Macdog said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:48 pm

It’s a three-way tie!

88. snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Well, well. A save? Romo!
    Murph must have tied up Bochy so he couldn’t go out there and bring in everybody who had warmed up in the Pen…

89. snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:51 pm

Crawford’s dislocated pinky is on his left hand, he can still throw. For the rest of schedule, I’d take a bad-fingered Crawford over 000 with all fingers firing…

• zumiee said, on September 20, 2016 at 10:53 pm

90. zumiee said, on September 20, 2016 at 11:11 pm

Classic Dodgers- celebrate with their cutesy t-shirts, then go out and lose 2-0.

91. snarkk said, on September 20, 2016 at 11:19 pm

Where’s the Rooster?…

92. unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2016 at 11:28 pm

No shit. To both of you . . . Capon is doing a slow burn . . . at dinner. And the Dogs can choke on their t-shirts.

93. mrsprtdude said, on September 20, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Yes!! A guy got on in the 8th and Boch sat on his hands!!! Great job by Romo. A tough situation..
    A whip of 1 is world class. A guy getting a hit shouldn’t be cause for panic!!
    Our September bench may be the worst ever. We know the 5 blown saves in 9th in Sept worst of all time…and yet we are still alive. I predict, (as I stated earlier) that we will revert to the mean, and not blow another save this season!

94. zumiee said, on September 21, 2016 at 12:48 am
  95. chipower9 said, on September 21, 2016 at 7:09 am

I was tired as hell after a rough day and checked-out 5th inning (Gail was still up and I heard the call on Nunie’s HR, so got up to check that out, and went back to bed). What a pleasant surprise, the boys held on to win it.

Crawford’s injury sucks…hope he can play through that, and then I heard something about Cueto being hurt on the way in, but no details. Gotta scoot for a chiropractor appointment.

Can they take the series behind Moore? Let’s hope.

96. unca_chuck said, on September 21, 2016 at 7:17 am

Cueto with a left groin strain, Chuck.

• chipower9 said, on September 21, 2016 at 8:42 am

Thanks Charlie. That’s the shit you miss when you bail early and hit the hay.

97. willedav said, on September 21, 2016 at 7:30 am

The FLR is fine.
    But Flav is right about Nunzio, who should be permanent leadoff. He’s a free swinger not walking off the island and might get caught or picked off once in a while, but let him play. And give him 100% green light to run.

But unless he’s your CF next year I don’t see the why on Pablo coming back.

98. willedav said, on September 21, 2016 at 7:34 am

We’ll see him maybe one more time but I think there is definite pattern to how Opie works Giants hitters
    First pitch or 2 there will be a fastball, located on the black, for a strike.
    After that, no. Fastball is up where neither Belt nor Pence can hit it.

Succession of off speed pitches next, usually at bottom of/below strike zone. That killer curve or changeup, esp with 2 strikes.
    So look for that first fastball because that is probably your only decent pitch to hit.

99. unca_chuck said, on September 21, 2016 at 8:35 am

100. chipower9 said, on September 21, 2016 at 8:43 am

Happy Birthday G-Head! Hope your day is awesome and our boys bring you a W!