Flat Off Season, Flat World

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 19, 2017

The Dodgers signed Franklin Gutierrez to a cheapie deal (1 year/2.6 mil) and I’m irritated the Giants didn’t pull the trigger on this guy. Instead of stuffing his face with wedding cake and shaking hands with Morse, Bobby Evans could have paid the measly sum the Dodgers paid and got himself a legit power bat for the bench that could mash lefties.

I don’t understand the Giants obsession with trying to *minor league contract* their way to filling out the bench. They didn’t have 2.6 mil lying around?

I guarantee you Gutierrez is going to hit some important HR’s vs lefties in 2017, and some of them will probably come against us.

_____________

And this Kyrie Irving thing has got to be a joke, right? He’s just screwing with the media, right?

Here’s a book my daughter read when she was like 8. She’s long since done with it. Maybe I should send it to Kyrie?

screenshot-2017-02-19-at-6-04-48-am

1. zumiee said, on February 19, 2017 at 8:25 am

The Dodgers appear to be set to make a serious run at the Cubs this season. The big question for L.A. is the durability of their pitchers, though.
    We do know the Dodgers are going to pound bad and mediocre pitching this year.
    The Giants will likely have to get in by Wild Card again. Maybe the Giants are taking it for granted Bum will win that Wild Card game yet again. That’s not fair to Bum to expect him to win that game every year.

• djloo27 said, on February 19, 2017 at 8:39 am

It’s also ridiculous to assume that they won’t need him to pitch a game before that in order to make the WC game, in which case he would be unavailable. It might be even more ridiculous to have this discussion on February 19th…

• zumiee said, on February 19, 2017 at 9:41 am

I would agree, except I think this same discussion was on the Flap last year, and it mostly came to pass.

2. Flavor said, on February 19, 2017 at 9:20 am

Andrew Baggarly โ€@extrabaggs 1m1 minute ago
    Pretty deep sign of respect: #sfgiants issued Christian Arroyo No.22 — same number worn by Will the Thrill.

• zumiee said, on February 19, 2017 at 9:39 am

The number should have been retired by now, along with 25, IMO.

• djloo27 said, on February 19, 2017 at 10:55 am

Here’s a list of the other guys that have gotten that deep respect since the Thrill has gone:

Jake Peavy (2014-2016)
      Eric Davis (2001)
      Damon Minor (2000)
      Osvaldo Fernandez (1996-1997)
      Dave McCarty (1995)
      Rikkert Faneyte (1994)

• alleykat69 said, on February 19, 2017 at 11:24 am

So much for the respect factor,..

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2017 at 12:25 pm

I know. as soon as Baggs tweeted that I responded with “rikkert Faneyte”

3. willedav said, on February 19, 2017 at 9:46 am

mercnews site has a column by Baggs on Arroyo including observations made by Sabes on visit to watch him last year with Richmond. Beside SS and 3b he also played 19 games at 2b.
    And remember Nunez can be FA end of this season.

“other puzzling questions” um like why does Kyrie persist in making himself look more ridiculous than he already has?
    Mac’s line end of thread last night was pretty funny too.
    In other science news, a line I always liked was “Gravity—every woman’s worst enemy.”

4. zumiee said, on February 19, 2017 at 1:11 pm

Fun fact: The Western Conference hasn’t blocked a shot in the last 3 NBA All Star games, and the East has blocked very few.
    No defense makes for a worthless All Star game. Just ask the Pro Bowl.

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2017 at 1:18 pm

I turned on the Rising Stars game (or whatever it was called) and they were BLASTING the music during a possession. That was all I needed to hear before clicking it off.

• zumiee said, on February 19, 2017 at 1:31 pm

The NBA All Star game used to at least have a little bit of competitiveness to it, but not any more. The current players treat it like a total goof-off event.

• djloo27 said, on February 19, 2017 at 3:43 pm

The over/under is 349.5…. really

5. zumiee said, on February 19, 2017 at 1:46 pm

The MLB Network’s “Top 100 players right now” shows have been good this week. Who doesn’t like lists? ๐Ÿ™‚

• zumiee said, on February 19, 2017 at 2:43 pm

Belt 70, Craw 42, Bum 23, Posey 17
      Cueto was in the 40s, I think. I can’t remember his number.

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2017 at 3:19 pm

to me, the context of the game matters. Bryce Harper is maybe the best player in the game but every time I see him in the post season he’s coming up small. What has he ever done besides freak out after being called out on strikes?
        Bum is 23?
        Not in the post season he’s not

6. twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2017 at 6:17 pm

I had my last brain MRI on the 8th, that one would mark 5 years without a tumor recurrence. It came up clean.On the 13th I got an Email from my oncologist at UCSF, she the had received the CD with the MRI film. There was a lot of this and that, but here’s the key sentence:
    ” I expect that you are cured. It makes sense to me to do brain MRI just yearly.”
    Cured! It had been 8 years since the diagnosis, 7 cycles of chemo, 2 Gamma Knife procedures, and 3 craniotomies. It will be nice to be here for awhile. With the non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in remission for several years I might actually die of old age,I never thought that would be in the cards.
    I wanted you guys to know- you supported me in your words and actions, thank you all. Next- cure the cure ๐Ÿ˜‰

• snarkk said, on February 19, 2017 at 6:28 pm

Great news indeed.
      Congrats are definitely in order…

• djloo27 said, on February 19, 2017 at 6:33 pm

What absolutely stunning and fantastic news!!!!
      Couldn’t be happier for you. Hope Merna is doing well, too!
      Twin at a Flapalooza???

• zumiee said, on February 19, 2017 at 6:43 pm

Yes, that needs to happen!

• twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Merna still speaks you often. All in all, she is well, but her eyesight has worsened. She hasn’t been able to paint for months. I need to help her more and more. Fortunately,I’m still able do that .

7. snarkk said, on February 19, 2017 at 6:23 pm

I’ve heard on radio today people actually entertaining this Kyrie idea of the flat earth, and going so far as to discuss it. Assuming this guy is not pulling some kind of long term joke for some unknown reason, he should be called out for being an idiot, and move on. This is the new United States. Instead of looking for progress into the 21st century, people are actually having a semi serious discussion if whether there is something to a flat earth theory. The polar icecaps are melting, but there’s no global warming. Trump’s campaign was caught talking to the Russians many times, but that’s no big deal, heck what’s the problem with that? Maybe we should go back to running the world by reading the ancient Greeks — they had earth as a sphere 2300 years ago after observing the round edge of the earth’s shadow on the moon in an eclipse…

• twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Some people at the other blog have called me “SkyFall Scott”” because of my theories as to might happen if Donald saw it all falling apart.

8. zumiee said, on February 19, 2017 at 6:40 pm

Awesome news, TF! So happy for you!

9. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 19, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Michael, that’s amazing news to hear the word “cure” in there….. congrats, my man.

10. Flavor said, on February 19, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Twin, thanks for sharing the great news. Now start posting here more often. Everyone agrees with each other too much here. ๐Ÿ™‚

• twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Since fake news is all the rage now, here’s the MRI report that I sent to my sister and brothers:
      “”REPORT -Magnetic resonance imaging of the brain with and without contrast scans of the brain were obtained.
      Findings:
      Comparison is made with the prior study of 7/26/2016. Again noted is a prominent area of pudding-like gunk This is unchanged in extent. Yuk!!
      There is a region of central enhancement within this area measuring roughly 20 x 12 mm of what appears to be strained carrot puree and probably not significantly changed. There is no other focus of abnormal increased or decreased foolish behavior within the cerebrum. ”
      CONCLUSION
      Patient abnormality is noted and and predictable for a 69 year old douche bag.”

• wilcojoe said, on February 19, 2017 at 8:16 pm

Twin, I just laughed so hard at this. My step dad is battling Stage 4 kidney cancer, and I am well too versed in reading MRI reports. This was brilliant!

So happy to hear such great news. You have been fighting this fucked up disease for so long. I am so glad to hear that you’re finally able to ring the bell.

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2017 at 8:28 pm

this is classic.

11. zumiee said, on February 19, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Well, I watched about 2 minutes of the All Star game. What an embarrassing event. The crowd looks bored, and ashamed to have paid money to see it.
    The NBA has to do something, or no one will be watching this in a few years.
    I get it that no one wants to get injured. Super high salaries and fear of injury are killing All Star games in all the sports.

12. djloo27 said, on February 19, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Now all we gotta do is bust Stix out…

13. Flavor said, on February 19, 2017 at 8:10 pm

WOWOWOWOW

Adrian Wojnarowski
    โ€@SportTaIkJoe

Source confirms the Celtics have traded Jaylen Brown, Kelly Olynyk, Jae Crowder, & a 2017 1st round pick to the Kings for DeMarcus Cousins.

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2017 at 8:34 pm

actually this might be bullshit

14. Flavor said, on February 19, 2017 at 8:45 pm

the news is moving fast and furious at the flap tonight!
    FantasyLabs NBAVerified account
    โ€@FantasyLabsNBA

Transaction note: DeMarcus Cousins has been traded to the Pelicans.

15. twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Good night guys. Happy to see that all of you pecker heads are all still trying to get anything right. In vain ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Flavor said, on February 19, 2017 at 8:49 pm

great to see you again my friend. Healthy days ahead.

16. Flavor said, on February 19, 2017 at 8:48 pm

if all Sac got was Hield and a first rd pick they got completely swindled.

17. zumiee said, on February 19, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Melancon is at #82 on MLB Network’s Top 100 players.

18. Flavor said, on February 19, 2017 at 8:55 pm

looks like they also got Galloway and Evans. Still, Boogie for 3 non-difference-making guards? You Flap Kings fans have got to be exasperated with this horrible trade. Maybe the worst trade in NBA history.

• zumiee said, on February 19, 2017 at 9:02 pm

Sometimes it’s addition by subtraction. I think people are intrigued by more playing time for Caulie-Stein. And the Kings current guards are not very good. Anything is probably an improvement.
      I like Cousins’ ability a lot, but the sourpuss attitude wears thin.

19. Flavor said, on February 19, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Hield punched Cousins in the nuts last week. Today, the entire Pels org punched the entire Kings org in the nuts.

• zumiee said, on February 19, 2017 at 9:21 pm

Probably, but the Pelicans aren’t going anywhere this year either. Nobody else is going to do jack while the Curry/LeBron era is going on. Maybe the Spurs, but that’s it.

20. twinfan1 said, on February 19, 2017 at 10:16 pm

I replied to Joe, but i screwed up and lost it. I’ll try again tomorrow.

21. Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 5:15 am

Kevin Pelton
    โ€@kpelton

Has any player who wasn’t drafted by the Kings ever seemed more like a Kings draft pick than Buddy Hield?

22. Bozo said, on February 20, 2017 at 7:23 am

Hey, good to see some posts from Twinfan and the great news he shared. To your health, Twin. Cheers.

• willedav said, on February 20, 2017 at 7:37 am

yeah I’ll drink to that. Healthy TF blogging regularly, salud.

23. unca_chuck said, on February 20, 2017 at 7:38 am

Amazing news, Twin! So glad to hear of the clean bill of health.

24. willedav said, on February 20, 2017 at 8:37 am

Hard to say yet on Kings deal as they chose to “go in a different direction” by dumping off DMC and going with Cauley Stein and Koufos. Losing Rudy Gay hurt them a lot for this year. They now have a ton of guards to battle for spots beside Collison who is pretty good player and options in draft to acquire more talent to fill out roster, which is still in need of upgrade.
    Their coach is fine, so it’s up to a troubled FO to reload and remain competitive in West, which isn’t easy.

• zumiee said, on February 20, 2017 at 8:47 am

That’s a good assessment, IMO.

25. unca_chuck said, on February 20, 2017 at 9:06 am

Well, the Kings have the same problem the Niners just went through. A GM that sucks at talent evaluation. . Granted, they got a good haul from NO, but, again, Baalke was good at getting picks, just not using them very well.

26. unca_chuck said, on February 20, 2017 at 9:17 am

The Kings will be haunted by dumping Malone for a few more years.

27. alleykat69 said, on February 20, 2017 at 9:30 am

Great News Michael!!
    All the years of pain& suffering you and Merna have indured hopefully comes to an my friend!
    Your still a dickwad though๐Ÿ˜‚ but your our dickwad at the Flap,and I’m glad to have you back!! Asswipe!!๐Ÿค—

28. sandog said, on February 20, 2017 at 9:41 am

I wish the Kings could have got more for DeMarcus. Basically Hield and a #1 pick. I would have liked the Celtic deal though. Although, I gotta say there is a certain sense of relief that they have finally torn off the band-aid and are committing fully to a rebuild. I hope the next 3 days are an absolute fire sale and they get rid of everybody on the roster who is in their mid 20’s or older—-and I don’t care if they get pennies on the dollar. Time to go full 76ers mode and build this thing from the ground up.

29. Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 9:50 am

The Kings must really love Hield and I don’t get it but he better turn out to be something huge. Vlade has fucked up their present AND their future. Remember that 2019 1 pick he literally gave away to clear space for a playoff run that never happened?
    The Kings are run and owned by idiots. Unca is right, this is EXACTLY like the Niners situation.

• Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 10:16 am

also, remember, the Kings had Boogie, Whiteside AND I-Thomas all on the same team at one point. None of this will matter till they, at the very least, get rid of Divac

• sandog said, on February 20, 2017 at 10:43 am

They gave already brought a guy onboard to handle trades and salary cap and make sure Vlade doesn’t do something asinine again like the 76ers trade. My guess is that this is the best return they could get, so they went with it. Now, they must gut the roster and tank HARD for two years to restock the roster with young talent. I think they only get to keep next year’s #1 pick if it falls in the top 10, so they need to sink like a stone for the rest of this season. Shouldn’t be difficult.

30. snarkk said, on February 20, 2017 at 10:34 am

Dubs fans that can’t afford tix will now just drive up I-80 and get some cheaper tix as the Kings fans drop their seats and/or turn into Dubs fans — Sac will be the new second home of the Dubs…

31. Irish Kevin said, on February 20, 2017 at 11:00 am

You all need to read this before you start saying the Kings got the shaft in the players they got

32. Irish Kevin said, on February 20, 2017 at 11:04 am

Now back to baseball, I was watching The Herd, and Colin thinks baseball should lower the mound, and take away the shift, he thinks it will creat more base runners and base stealers. Would you guys like to see more 70’s style baseball or the current Pitcher dominated league.

• Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 11:16 am

No to all of this. And Colin is a ratings whore who will say anything (just like that idiot Skip Bayless). And I wouldn’t call it “70s style” since pitchers were completely different then vs now. If you add a bunch of base runners all that’s gonna happen is that the games are going to lengthen with all the pitching changes and that’s exactly the thing mlb is trying to avoid.
      So Colin didn’t think this out too good.

33. Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 11:09 am

Baxter Holmes โ€@BaxterHolmes 2m2 minutes ago
    Source familiar w/ Kingsโ€™ thinking: “Vivek thinks Buddy [Hield] has Steph Curry potential.โ€ Am told that fixation was a key driver in deal.

I mean look, he’s the owner, if this is what he thinks it’s his right to think it. I completely disagree with this take tho. If Vivek hadn’t been obsessed with trying to find the next Steph Curry I KNOW he could have gotten a better deal.

34. unca_chuck said, on February 20, 2017 at 11:14 am

That would be stupid in my opinion. McCovey got the shift As did Ted Williams at times. No reason to ban spots in the field. That is a completely stupid premise. wYou want to beat the shift? Learn to hit the other way.

If I’m Belt I bunt for doubles down the 3rd base line. Great strategy for our lead-off hitter!

In a game in the early 70’s, McCovey bunted hard down the third base line when the shift was on. Willie Mays came all the way around to score from 1st, while McCovey reached second for a double.

• Irish Kevin said, on February 20, 2017 at 11:31 am

And this is the problem with baseball โšพ๏ธ the players don’t want to mess up their swing so they just continue to bat the way they always have. If I am a player and I am in a slump, which because of the shift it probably is not a slump, I as a player just needs to change my approach.

35. Irish Kevin said, on February 20, 2017 at 11:25 am

Okay another question, why has the bunt and base stealing no longer used as strategy in baseball, it seems like all of baseball does not want players to try to steal cause they don’t want to take away from a chance the hitter will get that double, triple or homer. The bunt is no longer used due to it being an automatic out? Just some thoughts this morning.

• Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 11:30 am

just too much sabermetrics influence, IMO. Someone figgered out that 80% of sb’s don’t lead to runs (or maybe it’s attempts, I think that’s the stat, don’t hold me to it). But that seems like a pretty broad brush to stroke and many other things need to be taken into consideration. More than I could post here, most you could think of yourself.

• Irish Kevin said, on February 20, 2017 at 11:35 am

Like UC said above, if Belt would just bunt the ball โšพ๏ธ down the 3rd baseline, and bunt it hard enough to get past 3rd base he would have an easy double.

36. Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 11:33 am

I happen to believe, rather strongly, that if your team can’t hit the ball out of the ballpark, you need as many guys standing on second base as possible. Stealing second would accomplish this goal. I hope Nunie steals 40 this year.

• snarkk said, on February 20, 2017 at 12:41 pm

He’ll be lucky to get 20. Bochy doesn’t like stealing…

• twinfan1 said, on February 20, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Nunez stole 13 bases in 50 games last year.

37. unca_chuck said, on February 20, 2017 at 11:38 am

Yeah, the Giants of the 60s pretty much put the red light up on Mays’ running. He could have likely stolen 50 bags a year without trying too hard.

For a team like this current Giants one, a non-power team, moving runners should be at a premium. This ain’t Bochy’s game, and when he does run, it is usually in a situation that is fairly obvious. And the success rate suffers.

38. snarkk said, on February 20, 2017 at 12:00 pm

I’m with Chuck and said so often before. Belt should just block an outside pitch to the left field line and take a double. That can’t possibly screw up a major leaguer’s swing. If someone were essentially just giving me a chance at a double every friggin’ AB with a vacant side of the field, I’d take it. Especially at ATT, where triples alley steals HRs from Belt all the time. Let’s say Belt tried to block a pitch to left every friggin’ AB in one game. 4 tries. Say he’s successful twice. That might start wheels turning in the opposing manager’s head. Belt keeps doing it the whole series, and ends up with 5 or 6 doubles out of 12 ABs. Who wouldn’t take that production? McCovey was a HOFer, Belt isn’t. Stretch didn’t have to alter his approach much, he ripped the cover off the ball frequently, so the shift didn’t work magic a lot on his ABs…

39. Bozo said, on February 20, 2017 at 12:19 pm

I’m pretty sure Manfred has talked about eliminating the shift and also limiting the amount of pitching changes a Manager can make in a game. Although, I’d think those kind of rule changes would have been brought up during this last negotiations for a Labor agreement .

I imagine that the shift in Belt’s case is used almost like an intentional walk. Opposing Managers probably feel it’s a good gamble that Belt can’t get the ball far enough up the line for a double. So if he bunts, it is just a BB to them (that would be my guess anyway). Personally, I’d hate for Belt to change his swing right now, yeah he might be able to get some doubles, or might just go into one of those long slumps.

40. Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Aaron BruskiVerified account
    โ€@aaronbruski

Vlade says he had a better offer for DeMarcus Cousins two days ago.

• snarkk said, on February 20, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Then why didn’t he take it?…

• Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 1:01 pm

because of the owners weird obsession with Hield.

41. snarkk said, on February 20, 2017 at 12:45 pm

I’d hold powder dry on ripping this Cousins thing. The guy had a year to go on his deal, he’s a monumental head case. The fans panned trading Monta Ellis, too. That was the key to the progress of the Dubs to a championship. Not a big talent like Cousins, but addition by subtraction…

42. Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Fred J. Robledo โ€@SGVNSports 2h2 hours ago
    Vlade and Kings could have had Clarkson, Randle, Zubac for Cousins and they opted for Buddy Hield and a mid-first and second rounder?

43. snarkk said, on February 20, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Cueto may not pitch in WBC after all…

44. unca_chuck said, on February 20, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Kevin, Cousins is Cousins. He’s a head case, but I think he got royally fucked over a couple years ago by the Kings when they dumped Malone and hired Karl. That was their best team and they were playing well until Cousins got his menengitis or infection or whatever the hell happened to him. The team faltered without him, and the FO fired Malone for no other reason than to look like they were doing something.

As usual, they had no backup plan, and the Karl hire was an unmitigated disaster. He’s never had a decent team around him, so for him to shoulder all the blame for no playoff run is disingenuous at best. Take a look at NO. They have arguably the best player in the world in Anthony Davis, and they can’t go anywhere. Maybe now they will, but that team has a load of roster issues as well.

45. unca_chuck said, on February 20, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Don’t get me wrong. I’m glad they did it, but it isn’t going to fix the team. Like the 49ers, they need a shitload of players to turn this thing around.

46. Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 1:44 pm

he said this AFTER the trade goes down. What an idiot.

• zumiee said, on February 20, 2017 at 2:24 pm

Well, he’s covering his own rear, and the owner probably won’t appreciate that. The Kings front office is less than ideal, shall we say. But I like the head coach. He’s certainly far better than having Karl there.
      Regarding Isaiah Thomas, he wasn’t all that great for the Kings. He scored, but he was also a turnover machine. If he’s gotten better with the Celtics, good for him; but I don’t miss him on the Kings. And I doubt he ever gets the Celtics into the finals. Just my opinion.

47. zumiee said, on February 20, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Teams would never OK a new lowering of the pitcher’s mound because of risk of injuring pitchers, some of whom get 30 million per year.
    Fun fact: a home team could lower the mound any time they want to. There’s no rule about the minimum height of the mound, only a rule for the maximum height.

• Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 3:32 pm

IT is very good but he’s not going to put a team over the top. It’s too mad the Celtics couldn’t pull the trigger on Boogie, that would have been a very exciting team to start watching.

48. unca_chuck said, on February 20, 2017 at 3:12 pm

So, if you have your knuckleballer going, you could flatten the mound to nothing. Interesting. . .

• zumiee said, on February 20, 2017 at 4:06 pm

The kind of thing Bill Veek or Charlie Finley might have done. And do it against a red-a## like Earl Weaver or Lou Pinella, and watch the guy blow his top and have a stroke on the field.

49. zumiee said, on February 20, 2017 at 4:59 pm

I do see on social media that there are some angry Kings fans out there. They feel like it’s steps taken backwards.
    I just can’t get worked up about Cousins leaving, even in an uneven trade. He’s one of the most joyless pro athletes I’ve ever seen. I’m sure his teammates were mystified by his vibe. And the owner finally got fed up.
    The owner needs to keep the current coach, Jaeger, and allow him to build continuity and develop the team’s identity.
    Cousins has awesome talent, and I hope he grows up and finally appreciates his lot in life. He’s young, rich, playing basketball for a living. There should be joy in his heart as he plays ball. Not every player really loves the game, though. Some love what the game can do for them, but don’t love the game so much for itself. This is true within all sports, IMO.

• zumiee said, on February 20, 2017 at 5:17 pm

No doubt the Kings owner looked at Curry and, in addition to the great talent, saw a player that totally exudes joy and love of the game; whereas Cousins is a highly-talented sourpuss.

• Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 5:23 pm

biggest prob Jaeger is gonna have is that he isn’t really a rebuilding kinda guy. He’s like Bochy, he likes his vets. Of course, now he’s gonna nearly be forced to play the kids. Let’s see what happens.

50. Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 5:46 pm

I don’t care about the Kings one way or the other, I don’t know why I’ve been following this so closely. Bored? I know I seem to gravitate with great disdain to stupid decisions made in sports made by multi millionaires. The fans always get fucked unless and until the team wins a title……

51. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 20, 2017 at 5:50 pm

Curious to read posts over the past week or so about HRs and lack thereof. Most here seem to accept the fact that the Giants just don’t have the power so they’d best keep the line moving. But most here also seem to believe that small ball (bunting, stealing), which seem critical to small ball, is not Bochy’s thing. Kind of a disconnect there. Seems they need to either get some more power in their bats, or implement better small ball, and failure to do either will hurt the offense. I want more HRs.

• Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 6:09 pm

I’m with you. The Giants went after power when they went and got Ellis Burks and Andres Gallaraga. Fences are still the same distance away….

52. Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 6:07 pm

53. Bozo said, on February 20, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Given 500 ABs each, I’m calling Belt, Pence and Nunez hitting 20+ Hrs next year (yes Nunez).

Like Twin pointed out, Nunez had 13 SB in 50 games for us last year, with 500 ABs he could easily have 30 SBs.

My ST guy this year is Wynton Bernard. I know his chances are little to none for an OF spot, but the dude was dropped from the Tigers 40 man roster to make room for Casey McGehee. Somehow it just makes sense to me that he’ll be awesome.

My second longshot out of ST is Kraig Sitton. He’s a lefty so he spells Craig with a K, and when he Ks a guy with his slider the announcers will get to say that the batter was sitton a fastball.

54. zumiee said, on February 20, 2017 at 6:58 pm

In a quiet move today, the Kings released Matt Barnes. A pretty good role player, but seen as an attitude-issue guy also.

55. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 20, 2017 at 7:05 pm

As long as Wynton Bernard plays nothing like Marvin “Incoming!” Benard…..

56. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 20, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Craig, a little birdy on FB says it’s your birthday…. ?

• zumiee said, on February 20, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Tomorrow, for us Western Hemisphere folk. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 7:35 pm

tomorrow. I’ll finally be a “49er”

• djloo27 said, on February 20, 2017 at 7:53 pm

I remember you turning 40.
        Happy birthday, pal…

• zumiee said, on February 20, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Yeah, he’s getting to be an old geezer. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 8:15 pm

thanks. REALLY excited for tomorrow. CTM.

57. Flavor said, on February 20, 2017 at 8:15 pm

by the way, that’s the new one— ctm. Chuckling to myself. I’d like to say I got that cause I’m hip and all the young kids are saying that now. But it’s just me and my buddy. Still, I like it.

• willedav said, on February 20, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Enjoy big guy. After a while, idk, they just kind of get depressing.
      Like J Morrison said in Roadhouse Blues, “The future’s uncertain/the end is always near.”

58. willedav said, on February 20, 2017 at 8:42 pm

I’m not against small ball or SBs per se, but Evans did not build a roster that way. Other than Nunez (or specs if he makes it) not much speed on the basepaths. And who flippin bunts on this team?

Scenario: say Nunez leads off with a hit and manages to steal 2b. Panik Belt Posey up next (or Pence or Craw)—do you bunt him over? NO Panik hits ball to right side if he can’t get the rbi hit. If he fails to advance you rag on him if you are me but still have 2 of your best hitters who only need a single to drive in a run.
    Game is just different today and I don’t see Billy Ball coming back anytime soon.

59. unca_chuck said, on February 20, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Shit, Blanco should have been bunting for the past 7 years. His BA would be 30 points higher.

CTM? Chinga tu madre?

• snarkk said, on February 20, 2017 at 10:50 pm

He faked bunting a lot. Hardly ever went through with it…

60. unca_chuck said, on February 20, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Has this blogging shit been going on for 9 years?!?

61. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 20, 2017 at 9:20 pm

Yeah, Zum, that’s correct: Craig, it’s your b-day “over here” already, so I’m gonna go celebrate for you. ๐Ÿ™‚ And yes, Charlie, I was thinking about that the other day. I remember starting to post here after the Splash became intolerable and I think it was ’08. Mighta been ’09. Either way…. long time bloggin’ in Flap Universe….

• zumiee said, on February 20, 2017 at 9:40 pm

Who’da thunk we were going to be celebrating three championships and counting? ๐Ÿ™‚

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 20, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Yes, a case could be made that Craig cranking up the Flap actually ushered in this sweet era of championship baseball in SF….

• djloo27 said, on February 21, 2017 at 4:54 am

Or was it Obama?

• zumiee said, on February 21, 2017 at 5:47 am

๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

62. unca_chuck said, on February 20, 2017 at 10:35 pm

Works for me. . . ! Jesus. 10 years? That still floors me. But yeah Ray Ray and Rownad were quite a while ago.

• snarkk said, on February 20, 2017 at 10:51 pm

The Gamer first started in 2008 with the Gyros…

63. snarkk said, on February 20, 2017 at 11:23 pm

Specs in 2016, per csnbayarea;
    7-for-17 in pinch hit appearance, plus three walks.
    A .315 career hitter with runners in scoring position, a .373 hitter in situations baseball-reference deems โ€œlate and close,โ€ and a .367 hitter in โ€œhigh leverageโ€ spots.