The Honger Blasts The Donger

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 28, 2017

Just did a quick check of the spring training stats and I don’t want to overreact but my dude, The Donger, is hitting .333 and that would be good for 4th place in last year’s batting title race, only 15 points off the crowned champion…..

So let’s get to know this near-batting title holder. He’s 29 and hails from Seoul, South Korea which is a preferred place because it was Hawkeye and Trapper’s favorite weekend landing spot to unwind from the horrors of the front line back in the day. So there’s that.

But my even more favorite thing is that he’s finally started to consistently mash the ball out of the park. He hit 52 home runs over the last 2 seasons and I have no idea where that ranks in South Korean lore but it was a huge jump from the 4-7-12 he posted the previous 3 seasons. So ring the bell, it’s go-time.

He also bat flips like a motherfucker but that part of his game has been muzzled by the boring ass traditionalists of mlb. However, you can’t fully take the bat-flip out of a true bat flipper so I am hoping we see that bad boy fly high into the sky at some point this season…..

So to recap: he’s got the best nickname on the team, he’s a goddamn near batting title champion, his power is exploding and if I was GM I’d reacquire The Duffman just so I could trade his ass AGAIN for another stud pitcher and hand the 3rd base job to The Donger YESTERDAY.

The spring optimism is off the charts at The Flap today….

I found this ball in a box this morning. It’s feeling more and more like spring today.

cde

1. chipower9 said, on February 28, 2017 at 8:13 am

Yeah, I don’t know how 52 dongers over two years in South Korea stacks-up, stat-wise, but I have seen some videos of bat flips from over there (it is common over there), and would dig it if this became more mainstream in MLB (not holding my breath as there is almost NO chance of that happening). Matter of fact, if your dude makes the team and does a post-donger bat flip in a real game, he probably gets the ear hole in his helmet filled-up in his next AB…

2. chipower9 said, on February 28, 2017 at 8:13 am

Was this ball related to a loss in the Flapper Fantasy BB League?

3. Bozo said, on February 28, 2017 at 8:16 am

Ha, that’s a keeper for sure.

Happy Mardi Gras!

• Bozo said, on February 28, 2017 at 8:20 am

I think it also has the great Jason Schmidt on the Dodgers signature on the other side.

4. willedav said, on February 28, 2017 at 9:18 am

well, looks like Mets have an opening at 3b, again. Reading the story that Wright has shoulder impingement and is unlikely to play for a while, one blogger on cbssite noted that Jose Reyes and Wilmer Flores don’t hit RHP very well. Maybe Gameface would fit in for them…anyone interesting over there from Giants perspective? (NOT Jay Bruce pls)

5. alleykat69 said, on February 28, 2017 at 10:33 am

Speaking of Mardi Gras day, I went to this full blown Mardi Gras party Saturday night!
    They had Cajun music,3-4 huge trays of Cajun beans, rice,creole (quite spicy) 2-3 gallons of Pat O’Brien mix you mix with a a handle of rum but you can’t drink it till you throw a beaded necklace into a tree with leaves!
    And then the kicker 100lbs of crawdads shipped in from NewOrleans that made 4 batches in the huge cooker spread out on 2 long tables and the feeding frenzy was on!! Plus Jell-O shots,cherry bombs And lemonade shots!! Awesome baby!!!

• Bozo said, on February 28, 2017 at 10:59 am

Gotta love it, Kat. Are ya getting your skink on tonight?

6. Bozo said, on February 28, 2017 at 12:23 pm

The Giants seem to be giving this guy Chris Marrero a lot of ABs this spring.

7. willedav said, on February 28, 2017 at 12:52 pm

“best nickname on team”.., um I guess the question would be which team—.does Hwang have one of those deals where if he isn’t on team by end of ST he can opt out and be an FA or could he wind up in Sac?

Speaking of nicknames, today is b-day of one of my fav percussionists, William Correa aka Willie Bobo. Pride of Spanish Harlem, he played with Tito Puente big band in mid-50s, then joined newly formed latin jazz band led by Cal Tjader out here on left coast alongside his friend Mongo Santamaria.

Later he formed his own bands and recorded hit later covered by Santana, “Fried Neckbones and Some Home Fries”. Died at age 49 in LA, 1983.

8. gianthead said, on February 28, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Flap Nation will be thrilled to hear this story…met Todd Ricketts of the Cubs owning Ricketts family today. I told him of my Flap allegiance and how badly I wanted Game 4 back and he said, quote: “If we played Game 5 against the Giants at Wrigley with Cueto pitching, the Cubs would have lost!!!”

That is what I think how we all felt…2018 REVENGE!!!!

9. alleykat69 said, on February 28, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Yeah I definitely felt that way GH and so did Maddon who wanted no part of Cueto in game 5 the way he was throwing..

10. zumiee said, on February 28, 2017 at 3:20 pm

According to the DirecTV schedule on my TV, the Giants/Padres game is going to be broadcast tonight on the MLB Network, at 9:00 PM, Pacific Time.

11. Macdog said, on February 28, 2017 at 3:24 pm

The bad news is three Giants made errors today. The good news is I’ve never heard of two of ’em — Calixte (SS) and Hinojosa (2B). Mac had the other one.

• Bozo said, on February 28, 2017 at 4:00 pm

There were also misplays in the OF by Gorkys and Beckham. I know it was windy but Beckham shouldn’t ever put on an OFer glove for us again and Gorkys let at least two balls (that I saw) float over his head. Hinojosa tried to force a double play so it was a mental error but it fucked up that inning, Calixte made a throwing error but that dude has a canon of an arm which he showed with a throw from the hole, I would have liked to see that dude in the OF.
      Blackburn looked like a 4th or 5th starter for another team.

12. zumiee said, on February 28, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Speaking of movies, at the local indie theater I recently saw the film “Lion,” about a young child in India who gets accidentally separated from his family at a train depot, and ends up a thousand miles away from his family; and eventually, through circumstances, ends up in Australia! Years later, he goes on a quest to try to find his family in India. It’s a great film, with all the elements that make a great film. Nicole Kidman has a supporting role, and gives a very memorable performance. All the actors in the film are terrific.

• unca_chuck said, on February 28, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Good stuff. Saw that a few days ago. Arrival’s pretty good too.

• djloo27 said, on February 28, 2017 at 8:35 pm

I hope Washington signs Pagan and then swaps nightmare contracts – Werth for Cain…

13. Flavor said, on February 28, 2017 at 8:21 pm

anyone notice if GH has had a cobbler upgrade lately?

• willedav said, on February 28, 2017 at 9:32 pm

the billionaire euro bank money launderer and putin’s buddy? Wonder what the red state bubba’s would think if this guy walked into their fav bar on Friday night like that. Oh yeah, we’re in good hands alright.