Matt Cain

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 2, 2017

Matt Cain got blasted again yesterday. My question is simple: What does Cain have to show you this Spring for you to be somewhat supportive of him starting as the #5 in the rotation? Because barring a phantom injury, that’s what he’s going to be.

It’s not so easy to just say, “He’s got to have a decent start or two.” Vets, especially vet pitchers, don’t use spring training as anything more than a way to get in shape and stay healthy. A guy like Cain probably bristles at the idea of needing to prove anything against a bunch of minor leaguers and hangers on. His career spring ERA is 5.45 so don’t expect anything lower than that and likely his ERA will check in much HIGHER.

But public opinion CAN matter. The boos at AT&T absolutely played a part in the unraveling of Santiago Casilla. Cain’s constitution might be better at handling negativity from Giants fans.

Does he need to show you anything this Spring?

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 2, 2017 at 6:59 am

Nope.

• Flavor said, on March 2, 2017 at 7:35 am

he’s your main man.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 2, 2017 at 7:49 am

Yes we Cain!

2. zumiee said, on March 2, 2017 at 7:08 am

I hope he shows more on his fastball than the 86 MPH he showed yesterday.

3. Bozo said, on March 2, 2017 at 7:12 am

He needs to show me that he can get lefthanders out. I thought he looked pretty sharp against the few righthanders LA had out there, but the leftys looked like they knew what was coming. I thought his curveball looked good.
    I’m still rooting for the guy to prove everybody wrong.

4. willedav said, on March 2, 2017 at 7:18 am

That he’s the best option on merit for the last rotation spot. Imo that involves command and control of his pitches, esp with men on base, plus durability to last 5 innings as he (and competition) gets stretched out over rest of month.
    But if he’s not best option Giants can’t f around.

5. zumiee said, on March 2, 2017 at 7:18 am

They were doing an in-game interview with Bochy during Cain’s bad inning. That was kind of awkward.

• xoot said, on March 2, 2017 at 7:24 am

I liked the way Bochy kept his eye on the game and commented on camera when poor play occurred.

6. xoot said, on March 2, 2017 at 7:19 am

Hard to believe fans would boo Matt. But that FB looked slow and lifeless last night. He needs to show a miraculous improvement immediately to stay in contention for any spot on the staff. That won’t happen. It’ll be time to cash in and move on.

• zumiee said, on March 2, 2017 at 7:25 am

I don’t think Giants fans would boo Cain ever, no matter what. I think Casilla got booed partly because he had showed some bad attitude to Bochy.

7. chipower9 said, on March 2, 2017 at 7:34 am

Not sure I see the fans booing Cain. I was not impressed by what I saw…even for a number 5 guy. I am with xoot…he needs to show significant improvement to nail-down that final spot in the rotation. Not sure he Cain anything left in that regards. I am still pulling for him to miraculously find a groove, but not sure it is going to happen. If it doesn’t…it’s time to cut bait and go in a different direction.

8. zumiee said, on March 2, 2017 at 7:39 am

There’s more gray in Span’s beard. He looks like he’s in his 50s.

9. zumiee said, on March 2, 2017 at 7:41 am

Blach pitched well yesterday.

10. willedav said, on March 2, 2017 at 8:06 am

55 years ago Al Attles and Wilt “combined for 117 points” as he likes to point out. Great book about it too. Attles, not known for his scoring, went 8 for 8 from the floor and Wilt hit 28 of 32 FTs, which tells you a lot about how soft rims were in Hershey gym that night.

I don’t watch ST so I’m relying on what I read here, but wrong decision on #5 SP will definitely be on Bochy. Giants have given way too many starts to vets that didn’t deserve them over last few years, and that would include Cain and Peavy from 2016. With viable options, you just can’t do that again–division and WC too tough.

11. alleykat69 said, on March 2, 2017 at 8:34 am

17 pts for “Al The Destroyer Attles”
    and a mere 100pts for “Wilt The Stilt Chambelain”

• zumiee said, on March 2, 2017 at 9:02 am

Wilt didn’t like “The Stilt” nickname, though. He preferred “The Big Dipper.” He thought it was cool being nicknamed after a constellation.

• Lurker John said, on March 2, 2017 at 10:22 am

Well, he could damn near reach the dipper, so why not. lol

12. Flavor said, on March 2, 2017 at 8:55 am

this fucking guy is so full of shit. Now that he doesn’t have a contract and wants teams to consider him he says he’s dropping the protest. Fuck him. I am so sick of Kaep I’m fine never hearing his name again or watching his shit, underwhelming play…….

13. chipower9 said, on March 2, 2017 at 9:15 am

I was always suspect of the method Kaep chose for raising visibility to his issue, but think it is cool that he has kicked-down some significant coin to help with the issue. Outside of that, yeah, I could care less, and am happy that he is planning on declaring free agency. Hell, I would take a flyer on Manzel over Kaep at this point.

I hope like hell the Niners do not spend their first round pick on a QB…

• Lurker John said, on March 2, 2017 at 10:22 am

Hey Chi, my guess is that they won’t. Weak QB class this year and there’s plenty of other holes to fill. Look for a free agent QB signing.

• chipower9 said, on March 2, 2017 at 11:55 am

Agree, LJ.

• sfsarge said, on March 2, 2017 at 2:23 pm

My guess is they trade down and fill a few needs. I would like for them to grab DeShawn Watson and a free agent QB for him to sit behind for a year.

14. Lurker John said, on March 2, 2017 at 10:20 am

Simple, he has to show he can pitch. With Blach waiting in the wings, I’d think he has a relatively short leash, but he’ll probably get all of the spring to show Boch if he can get it together. I’m not holding my breath.

15. alleykat69 said, on March 2, 2017 at 10:31 am

22 mil get you plenty of loyalty with the orq..
    Still surprised they gave up on Rowand with coin still owed and extra year payoffs for Glass and Scoots who were done, but that’s baseball a lot of teams deal with that issue..

16. unca_chuck said, on March 2, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Maybe not now, but certainly by the end of spring, the hope is Cain’s not getting lit up like a roman candle and can get through 5 relatively clean.

And no, folks wouldn’t boo him. I saw too many Timmy starts that were disastrous and it was low level grumbling but no booing.

17. unca_chuck said, on March 2, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Don’t be too surprised to see Kappy come back here. Given the options (Cutler, Hoyer, and Fitz, oh my . . . the rest are less than zero), Kappy is likely the best of the bunch when it comes to viability. Cousins is way too expensive, and Garoppolo is a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a hoodie. Besides that, going for a big FA QB would suddenly raise expectations to 10 wins instead of 6.

This season will be a trainwreck anyway, so why not let Kappy crash the boat?

• djloo27 said, on March 2, 2017 at 1:19 pm

Want Alex back?
      I’ll take Romo in KC…

• unca_chuck said, on March 2, 2017 at 4:58 pm

Who’s his backup?

• djloo27 said, on March 2, 2017 at 6:01 pm

Foles backs up Smith in KC. Chiefs have won 22 of their last 26 regular season games, all but a couple without Smith starting, but he’s been a playoff disappointment bordering on a flop. Most Chief fans have seen enough I think…

• unca_chuck said, on March 2, 2017 at 2:12 pm

I’ve heard that there are rumblings in KC around Young Sir Alex. Andy Reid as well.

And, no, I don’t want Smith back.

• sfsarge said, on March 2, 2017 at 2:26 pm

I think he would be a great choice for them to pick up and then draft a QB to sit behind him and learn for a season or two. They aren’t going anywhere, so why not?

18. sfsarge said, on March 2, 2017 at 4:18 pm

I personally wouldn’t boo Cain, he’s done too much for this organization to deserve that. I don’t know if there’s really anything he’s going to be able to show in spring training that would bring me off the ledge. I think he’s done, and hopefully they don’t keep trotting him out there after its apparent he doesn’t have it anymore.

19. djloo27 said, on March 2, 2017 at 6:15 pm

I never booed a Giant, but I cursed out Mike McCormick real good when I was about 10.
    Right to his fuckin’ face…

• unca_chuck said, on March 2, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Only line I got off was to Joe Theisman. He was doing a pro bowl pre-game show so I yelled out to him “Break a leg, Joe!”

20. snarkk said, on March 2, 2017 at 8:41 pm

If Blach gets sent to Sac to throw to AAA guys while Cain is up here through May tossing hit-me fastballs so he can get pulled in the 4th or 5th down by 5 runs — that will make no sense whatsoever…

21. unca_chuck said, on March 2, 2017 at 8:46 pm

What is the standard for your average 5 guy? .400 winning percentage?

Say 8-12? Works for me.

Whether Cain has that in him is a mystery at this point. Like y’all are saying, just have to wonder how much rope (6 miles?) Bochy gives him.

Westbrook certainly fights alone out there.

Warriors need to figure out how to play without KD, They looked confused tonight. This roadie just got much tougher. It was going to be tough WITH KD.

22. willedav said, on March 2, 2017 at 8:51 pm

Cal down 20 in first half to running Utes, who are outrunning and outshooting them. This is nearest comp in league for Tourney berth along with SC (whom Cal already beat). Cal next game on mountain trip is vs. Colo, which put 90 on Stanford tonight.
    Not good.