Stratt Up And Roll

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 30, 2017

Chris Stratton showed Matt Moore that it’s ok to try your best all the way to the end of the season.

I’m going to reluctantly sip on the Stratton Kool-Aid. Apparently Raggs and Gardy have shown this guy a new pitch or new approach or something. Hey it absolutely COULD have happened.

I’m not sure why Matt Moore couldn’t have learned the same thing but he’s had major surgery on his arm. Like Cain, maybe he’s just not the same after getting cut open. It happens.

Attitude happens, too. And I would like Moore to pitch with the same urgency as the younger arms on the staff. I guess we’ll see next year if he can do that.

Me and Snarkk. He’s a great dude

Screenshot 2017-09-30 at 6.52.10 PM

1. zumiee said, on September 30, 2017 at 6:23 am

Vogey didn’t have special stuff, yet he did special things for the Giants. There’s something to be said for having competitive fire in the belly.

• alleykat69 said, on September 30, 2017 at 8:04 am

Yeah you can say that about Woody(Kirk Reuter) he couldn’t break in a catchers mitt with his stuff, but his competitive fire and smarts on the mound made him a winner.
      Moore doesn’t show that to me,but have no choice but extend the choke collar on him as the Giants are bringing him back and hoping he doesn’t get lit up like a Roman candle, time will tell..

2. zumiee said, on September 30, 2017 at 6:26 am

Ironically, the Dodgers might get to watch the Rockies celebrate in their faces.

3. willedav said, on September 30, 2017 at 7:25 am

Watched some of Wazzu taking down SC last night. idk, Darnold didn’t play very well under some pressure and overthrew receivers and didn’t make good decisions. Falk looked better. Might want to stick around another year as it seems like there are bunch of better QBs out there..

Good for SF which finally hammered freaking Pads and won’t lose 100.

4. willedav said, on September 30, 2017 at 8:00 am

Jenkins talked about Nunez not really having a spot with Red Sox kid Devers set to take over 3b. Seems he’d be more help than Sando, even if he came off bench. When he left said how much he liked it here and there was the big hug fest from teammates.
    Stratton and Dyson both good stories. Stratton has killer breaking ball and has an idea how to get hitters out (as opposed to Moore). Dyson came in and was thrust into closer role which he handled very well for most part. I think that was plenty enough pressure for him to perform personally being new guy on the block and coming off disaster in Texas. Full season of both next year should be an improvement, part of solution.

• alleykat69 said, on September 30, 2017 at 8:27 am

WillieD,I’m with you on Dyson .Cant believe in a shit sandwich season the Giants found a possible filet migion in Dyson off the scrap heap.
      If Melancon comes back strong, that would be huge in the 8th9th roles are even alternating closers with matchups..
      Willied how do you think this putrid BP is gonna shake out?Actually I’m pulling for Will Smith the forgotten man to bounce back strong, his K’s to IP ratio has always been impressive, so that’s a good sign if his arm holds up!
      But I’m gonna puke in my cereal if they bring back Cory Gearrin (the pitchers version of Mike Hargrove the human rain delay) when your taking minutes between pitches and then calling out your catcher to still get a sign right, then fucking throwing over to 1st a few more times for the hell of it,and then promptly throwing a WP to top off the madness is just to much for me to endure another season of..

• willedav said, on September 30, 2017 at 8:45 am

Kat, idk. Gearrin while annoying to watch isn’t that bad and potentially might improve, like Crick. Strick is the one I think goes, just because he would have some value to outsiders and might be throw in on a trade. He’s a fascinating story, just an odd guy.
      LHP more of a crapshoot and they’ve gotta do better than the 2 O-bombs to help out FLR. Blach might wind up there. I don’t like him, just doesn’t miss enough bats for me. OK at home at ATT, but otherwise no.

5. willedav said, on September 30, 2017 at 8:04 am

On the MLBTR story on Cain, a blog comment was made that teams often get great value and underpay young guys in their first few years, and then typically overpay them afterward, which seems like cornerstone of “Giants Way”.

• snarkk said, on September 30, 2017 at 9:05 am

Hard to avoid that with the way MLB has set up the arbitration and FA system. It won’t happen, but I think MLB would be far better off with a system similar to NFL with multi-year deals partially guaranteed up front. It kills a team with these long term deals when the seemingly inevitable back-end years are non-performing. How the owners ever agreed to fully guaranteed contracts with no injury buyout plans is beyond me. Permanently hurt players in any sport deserve compensation, but they don’t deserve full payment at these levels of compensation for contributing nothing. If that option were available 2-3 years ago, Giants could have bought Cain out of the remainder of his deal at 1/3 or even 1/2 of his remaining payments due, cut him and moved on. Nobody would have felt sorry for Cain, nor would many have been pissed off at him for the buyout — it would have made sense. Instead, virtually 4 seasons of nursing the guy through mostly bad performances (consecutive seasons of 5+ ERA) to justify having to pay him the full contract…

6. snarkk said, on September 30, 2017 at 8:50 am

Not that surprised that Wazoo beat USC last night. SC didn’t look that strong a team against a game but undermanned Cal team last week. Darnold look pretty good to me last week, he’s mobile and nifty on his feet, but Goff IMO was far better accomplished college QB with the various throws, on a worse squad. Now that Goff is rid of a dolt head coach in LA, replaced with an offensive minded HC and some real receivers, he’s markedly improved over his rookie season. He’s looking like an eventual solid, if not really good, pocket QB in the NFL. Shocking how good coaching and talent around you makes a difference…

7. snarkk said, on September 30, 2017 at 9:40 am

I would expect Giants to have some turnover on the coaching squad in the offseason. Not Bochy or Rags. Meulens has to be gone, if for nothing other than optics. Nevin? Good chance he’s gone. Aguacil at first? Not liking his chances either, I’ve never seen anything saying he’s a big contributor. It’s a lot cheaper to change coaches than players…

8. Flavor said, on September 30, 2017 at 10:45 am

How’d u like to be Milw today. A must win gm and they’re starting Guerra, basically a reliever.

• djloo27 said, on September 30, 2017 at 11:15 am

I’d love to be Milwaukee today…

• snarkk said, on September 30, 2017 at 11:32 am

Giants starting Cain, he’s been effectively retired for a couple of seasons…

9. Flavor said, on September 30, 2017 at 1:22 pm

I’m in Pleasanton today for racing and this is like stepping back in time 40 years.

10. Macdog said, on September 30, 2017 at 2:39 pm

And just like that, the bullpen blows it for Cain.

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 30, 2017 at 2:52 pm

One last Caining before you go.

12. Macdog said, on September 30, 2017 at 3:36 pm

From Pav: The Giants didn’t sell out Cain’s final start. There’s a lot of concern within organization about next year’s ticket sales.

• zumiee said, on September 30, 2017 at 3:40 pm

There should be. The 2018 Giants are going to be a lot like the 2017 team.

13. snarkk said, on September 30, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Met up with BF at the track-/ he’s schooling me on how to bet the ponies …

• zumiee said, on September 30, 2017 at 4:24 pm

The Giants blew the game in the 9th inning you’ll be shocked to learn.

14. zumiee said, on September 30, 2017 at 5:15 pm

The playoffs are set. 20 teams have been eliminated. The Giants have company.

• Macdog said, on September 30, 2017 at 5:18 pm

And all the games start at the same time tomorrow even though everything’s settled.

15. Macdog said, on September 30, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Gallo 40th HR!

16. willedav said, on September 30, 2017 at 5:45 pm

re: ticket sales. How about you put a better product out there on the field? Hint: no more Stubbs brothers.

Myers, as I’m sure everyone is tired of hearing, hit more HRs at ATT this year in 9 games than any other RH hitter, including Giants.

• Macdog said, on September 30, 2017 at 5:52 pm

Yeah, I think Hundley and Pence are tied with 4. Meanwhile in the Bronx, Judge has hit 33 HRs at home.

17. Flavor said, on September 30, 2017 at 6:21 pm

had a nice long talk with Snarkk today at the Pleasanton fairgrounds. Horses raced around us in circles. We sorted a lot of shit out about the Giants. Among other shit.

18. Stan Shell said, on September 30, 2017 at 6:39 pm

I watched the first 5 innings today and just now turned on the TV. I checked the scores and wondered if the Giants finally won one for Cain. When I saw the 3-2 Pads score I blurted out loud to my dogs, “You fucking bastards!” Truthfully. All the years they shorted him on run support and then in his last game, leaving up 1-0, they blow it! What a fucking year.

• Flavor said, on September 30, 2017 at 6:54 pm

Why don’t you go take a nap. This year is over. Win. Lose. Are you really still getting bent about the outcome?

• Stan Shell said, on October 1, 2017 at 7:53 am

BF, I ignored the Giants much of the year. To see Matt Cain screwed over again and for the final time just set me off.

19. blade3colorado said, on September 30, 2017 at 10:15 pm

Just saw the photo of you and snarkk . . . Both great Giants fans, but even better people.

So, you’re all tucked away in bed and I’m sipping a cafe latte in Saigon. I came across this article which said that there’s anarchy in the clubhouse. Apparently, a couple of players complaining about Bochy . . . but not for the reasons you’re likely thinking. Specifically, this was written:

“Two individuals have called out manager Bruce Bochy for the way he has handled the current situation in San Francisco. They have said that his demeanor and expectations for the club have become particularly harsh, and that he has demonstrated an unreasonableness during a season with its share of bad luck.”

Does this mean Bochy has tossed a game buffett spread? Probably not. Still, I wonder if his monotone, positive tone toward the players on camera is 180 degrees different inside the clubhouse???

Dunno. Thoughts?

• zumiee said, on September 30, 2017 at 11:27 pm

My feeling is that Flannery is greatly missed. I think his personality balanced Bochy’s, kind of like good cop/bad cop.

• zumiee said, on September 30, 2017 at 11:29 pm

It’s hard to imagine Bochy going through the grinder again next season.

• zumiee said, on September 30, 2017 at 11:33 pm

Not to say Flan is Mr. Softy. I think Flan was the guy who could help keep communication lines open.

• blade3colorado said, on October 1, 2017 at 12:00 am

So, you’re saying Bochy is in the “bad cop” role?

I have never seen him mildly upset, much less angry.

• zumiee said, on October 1, 2017 at 5:13 am

I see him more as the emotionally distant type.

• blade3colorado said, on October 1, 2017 at 6:54 am

Good description Zum.

20. mrsprtdude said, on October 1, 2017 at 12:21 am

perfect day! Cain pitches well. I’m happy about that. he was clutch in the post season for 2/3 titles. Worthless now as a pitcher. Took the honorable way out. We still lost. yay. So a team loss tomorrow and the number 1 pick is ours thanks to Detroit wining 2/3. Go Pads!

21. Irish Kevin said, on October 1, 2017 at 12:57 pm

I am at the game with my daughter Katherine. Having a great time