Trying To Ramp Up

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 13, 2018

Not trying to make excuses for them, but I wonder how the Giants are affected by playing in front of such a sparse, staid crowd. Miami is used to it, it’s almost part of their home field advantage. That’s pathetic.

This guy Caleb Smith is actually pretty good. Big K rate anyway. Our backs are up against the wall if we are going to even this series up by Thursday.

1. willedav said, on June 13, 2018 at 7:15 am

Small crowds don’t seem to bother Stros, who come to Oaktown and slap A’s (lot better team than Marlins) around repeatedly. Watching A’s tho, collection of young honkys other than Semien and K Davis.

Just read Tigers owe M Cabrera $162 mil, through 2023.
    Forever a part of 3/5 lore.

2. chipower9 said, on June 13, 2018 at 7:27 am

Sitting there watching the last few moments before the first pitch yesterday, and I could not believe the crowd. That is just an embarrassment to MLB. Miami does not deserve a team.

Suarez the Stopper? Giants need a little Humm Baby to get back in track. Snakes and Bums 8-2 in their last 10. Zona five Ws in a row, bums have won last two. Giants 6-4 in last 10 while dropping first two to the lowly fish.

Lots of ball left, so remember, don’t get her dauber down…

3. Flavor said, on June 13, 2018 at 8:04 am

I’d argue it’s a lot worse playing in front of 5000 people indoors than a similar number outdoors. Much more staid indoors

• willedav said, on June 13, 2018 at 8:12 am

Sure but as you said, not an excuse. Before Giants came in they were 23-42 overall 11-20 at home. Nobody else seems to have trouble beating them. iirc they did beat LA 2 of 3 for 2 Trips.

Panik into another slide. 8-37 in June, .216. Seems to have lost the pop–only 6 XBHs in 127 ABs. Hit bombs early vs. LA not much since. Batting .189 vs. LHP. OPS down to .680. Hmmnn.
      Weird to me this guy gets zero grief. Everyone down on Longo Cutch Mac yada yada Parade of ground balls to 2b/pop flies in air to OF.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 13, 2018 at 9:09 am

Agree with you on Panik-Giants over value him.

• blade3colorado said, on June 13, 2018 at 8:25 am

I was wrong yesterday, indicating that the poor Marlins’ attendance was entirely due to the bad product on the field. Apparently, that isn’t even close to the reason why, as Miami has fielded some pretty good competitive teams. That being said, fans are pissed off about the firesale this hot stove season.

However, I digress – the real reasons why are three-fold: 1. Marlins Stadium being in the worst section of town, where there is no place to go before or after the game . . . except, to ensure your car is in a safe place to park and than to drive out of there as quickly as possible when the game is over (we can relate – see Candlestick); 2. Unbelievably high prices, where the franchise caters only to the wealthy; and, 3. The aforementioned bad product I already referred to.

This guy grew up in S. Florida and he spells out the reasons specifically. I think he’s right . . . :

• blade3colorado said, on June 13, 2018 at 8:31 am

Related to high costs of attending games. Something Unca said yesterday about the Warriors ticket prices – I tried to attend a game about 2 years ago and I was shocked at how much the tickets were (about $150 if I recall correctly . . . and these were nosebleed seats in back of one of the baskets). Fuck that noise.

4. chipower9 said, on June 13, 2018 at 8:56 am

Fuck the fish. Giants should be beating the dog shit outta these chumps. Frustrating!

I keep telling myself to take a deep breath, as there is still a lot of ball to play. Humm Baby!

• xoot said, on June 13, 2018 at 9:07 am

Dogfish Head! Good beer, esp. the 90 min IPA. The Marlins’ new ownership group doesn’t seem to be rebuilding the team and the fan base the way Houston did.Those big barcaloungers behind home plate sure look funny with no one sitting in them. I get the feeling that outside of ST and college ball Florida’s not a baseball kind of place. Most of the retirees down there probably follow the yanks and mets. Not that bus loads full of codgers would liven up the place . . . .

• blade3colorado said, on June 13, 2018 at 9:20 am

The 3 security dopes sitting in those barcaloungers also isn’t a good look. Hilarious.

• chipower9 said, on June 13, 2018 at 10:17 am

Good call…Love Dogfish Head’s brews! And the 120 Minute IPA is amazing. For alll the hops used throughout the process, it is amazingly smooth. And at 15-20% ABV, it will sit you back on your heels. If you can find it, expect to fork over about $10 for one 12 oz. bottle.

5. snarkk said, on June 13, 2018 at 9:10 am

Giants aren’t as good as some folks think they are. They just finished up 1.5 seasons of essentially the worst record in the majors. Changes they made have helped, but not transformative. They stink on the road, and the last two games exemplify that. When you are a .500 team, you lose because sometimes you got outscored (Marlins game 1) or sometimes because you get outpitched (last night). Plus, SF hardly ever hits against a pitcher they haven’t seen, like last night, and I think tonight, too…

6. unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2018 at 9:44 am

They are on thre edge of falling out of the race as the Dogs and D-backs aprint away

• chipower9 said, on June 13, 2018 at 10:31 am

It has looked that way multiple times, but they have fought-back. And there is way too much ball left, in-division, to hit the panic button, IMO.

Remaining NL West games:

Bums – 6 away, 3 home
      Rox – 6 away, 6 home
      Snakes – 7 away, 3 home
      Friars – 5 away, 7 home

Most important is to start winning on the road, IMO, while maintaining their play at home (4th best home record in the NL)…

7. chipower9 said, on June 13, 2018 at 10:20 am

Agree with you Tom on Giants not being as good as some think, but if they get fully healthy (and STAY healthy) and play to potential, I still think they can win the West. Go deep in the playoffs? That’s another story, and probably a stretch.

8. xoot said, on June 13, 2018 at 10:54 am

we’re gonna see some injuries–the age of the team alone makes that fate inevitable–but maybe not season-ending injuries. I can’t give up on this team yet. The front office is definitely not all in, however. The fact that they’re more concerned with dumping Gearrin’s salary than with dumping Gearrin says a lot.

9. Bozo said, on June 13, 2018 at 11:37 am

I’d imagine playing in front of a small audience after doing games for packed crowds would take some of the edge off, but still, ya got to get it done.

Even though this has been around awhile I’m just seeing it now, so my apologies if y’all have already seen it. I just never heard the term “our ass is in the jackpot” before and had a wtf moment.

• zumiee said, on June 13, 2018 at 11:44 am

Interesting comment by Collins: “You gotta give us our shot!” as if the Mets should be allowed to throw at one guy before a big penalty. Hey, if he breaks the guy’s arm, whatever, that’s the way it goes. Guys like Collins must feel like dinosaurs slowly disappearing into tar pits.

• Bozo said, on June 13, 2018 at 11:51 am

Yeah and the ump saying “you had your shot right there” was pretty telling too.

10. zumiee said, on June 13, 2018 at 11:38 am

It seems like all the preseason playoff picks in the NL have all heated up now at the same time, and they’ll be trying to bury all the other teams. The Giants are at a crucial moment, and they’ve already been flubbing in Miami.
    I know all games count as just one game, but it’s just different if a team falls back from a playoff spot about 8 games later in the season. It gets really hard for a team to crawl back into it.
    And if the Giants get to where they’re not competing for a playoff spot this season at some point, then what is this season about? The idea of not tearing down was so they could compete for a playoff spot this season.
    Some reevaluation of where they go forward from here would need to be done by the Giants’ brass.
    The Giants aren’t at that point right now, but the wheels are wobbly yet again.
    As others have said- this is probably what the Giants are this season, though, at best a .500 team. Every time they have a nice stretch of games, they get dragged back to earth by the gravity of their own .500-ness.

• chipower9 said, on June 13, 2018 at 12:22 pm

I’m not buying they are a pure .500 team, yet. Cueto was having a killer year, and he should be back in a couple of weeks. McCutcheon and Longoria haven’t been consistent in their hitting yet, and supposedly, Cutch heats-up about time his time of year. Bum has yet to find his groove. Longoria is a better fielder that what we have seen to date. Point is, IF everything clicks, this team could certainly be better than the floundering back-and-forth that we’be seen, so far. So, I am cautious to think that the team to date will be the team that finishes the year. It’s the Pollyanna in me shining through. 😉

11. chipower9 said, on June 13, 2018 at 12:15 pm

Here is some background on the Hallion/Collins dust-up…

And even with this, I am not sure I get the jest of the comment…

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 13, 2018 at 12:15 pm

Sabean hasn’t broken out any bad penny year gloss despite 3/5 of the starting rotation going down so there’s still hope. I think the club is better than .500. As someone mentioned (Flav?), until Cueto and Samardzija get back, the club has to win Bumgarner’s starts at a high rate for them to have any chance. To me the season is already a relative success. The club is fun to watch and they’re still in it. I’ll be at a game next week and buying a Cha-Cha bowl.

• chipower9 said, on June 13, 2018 at 12:26 pm

Good synopsis, Dirt. I agree.

13. chipower9 said, on June 13, 2018 at 1:28 pm

Can we win a fucking game against these losers, already!?

1. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    2. Buster Posey (R) 1B
    3. Andrew McCutchen (R) RF
    4. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Nick Hundley (R) C
    7. Austin Jackson (R) LF
    8. Gorkys Hernandez (R) CF
    9. Andrew Suarez (L) P

14. unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2018 at 2:19 pm

I don’t agree about Samarj. I think he’s toast. But if we can get Cueto going and Bummie going and reasonable stuff from Strat and the best 5th five, some more consistent hitting from the newbies, Belt back and a force, and call up Duggar and jettison Pence the Past Tense, AND we are still hovering around the bright side of .500 then we could still have a chance.

If if’s and wishes were loaves and fishes we’d all be eating for free.

15. blade3colorado said, on June 13, 2018 at 2:38 pm

This is Suarez’s hometown, so maybe he has some added mojo with his family and friends in attendance. Umm, just thinking that they could possibly be a large part of the entire crowd to see the game.

• unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2018 at 2:39 pm

They may BE the entire crowd.

• chipower9 said, on June 13, 2018 at 3:58 pm

lulz…

Just win, baby!

16. blade3colorado said, on June 13, 2018 at 3:02 pm

Anyone else notice that the oaf is no where to be seen the last couple of games?

Opinions wanted (Opinions R Us?) – are we on the cusp of seeing “the oaf” sent down again? In his last start (1st game against the Fish) he K’ed 3 out of 4 times. Since his return from the disabled list, he has 18 SOs in 56 plate appearances (32% rate), which is no bueno. He has started 14 of those 15 games he has made appearances, so it’s not like Bochy has been jerking him around.

However, in my opinion – which isn’t worth much – I’m betting Bruce is about to send him down. I think Loo said the same thing.

• Flavor said, on June 13, 2018 at 3:03 pm

FWIW Bochy said he’s starting tomorrow

• blade3colorado said, on June 13, 2018 at 3:04 pm

Do or die?

• Flavor said, on June 13, 2018 at 3:05 pm

I read that somewhere on twitter in the last 10 min or so or at least that’s what I thought I read. Can’t remember where

• Flavor said, on June 13, 2018 at 3:06 pm

I mean, who are they gonna have play OF instead? Fucking Pence? Willy should continue to get his shot because, frankly, it’s not like he’s got anyone pushing him.

• blade3colorado said, on June 13, 2018 at 3:08 pm

Exactly. Nor has Actionless set the world on fire yet.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 13, 2018 at 3:25 pm

I guess giving Williamson a breather after 3K is good. I’d like to see him just get run out there without interruption but that’s just me. Slater currently at .360/.443/.579/1.022 and 3rd in the PCL in doubles but whatevs. Interestingly he’s also been playing more at 1st.

• blade3colorado said, on June 13, 2018 at 3:39 pm

I don’t trust Bochy on this. I’m thinking he’s about to get Bowkerized. He called him the starter near the end of May (actually, Boch was much, much clearer, saying “. . . Williamson will be the team’s everyday left fielder.” All of the other starters take a breather once in awhile – more specifically, they take the occasional one day off. Mac? He’s been off two days. IMO, pretty close to the kiss of death.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 13, 2018 at 3:47 pm

Willamson has gotten roughly 70 abs so far this season. I’d like to see him get some more run to turn it around.

• djloo27 said, on June 13, 2018 at 9:19 pm

Turn the Oaf around;
        Love to get con-cus-sions…

(For old disco fans only)

• chipower9 said, on June 13, 2018 at 3:59 pm

When they activate Belt, Oaf is the short man out. I also said the same days ago. One other reason is he has an option left.

17. xoot said, on June 13, 2018 at 4:16 pm

get hot Cutch!

18. blade3colorado said, on June 13, 2018 at 4:16 pm

Cutch got all of that pitch!

19. Flavor said, on June 13, 2018 at 4:19 pm

422, that’s a poke.
    Listening to Lopez the last couple of days, he’s not doing it for me. Maybe I just don’t like any baseball color commentators. None of them say anything of interest to me. I’d rather just listen to Miller prattle on at a nice, summer speed…

• zumiee said, on June 13, 2018 at 4:34 pm

Vin Scully had no use for color commentators. He refused to work with them for Dodger games.

• zumiee said, on June 13, 2018 at 4:40 pm

Someone on the Flap talked about the over-analysis that color broadcasters do on games.
        Sometimes I like all that analysis, but it can get annoying. You’re just trying to enjoy the game, and the color broadcaster is constantly breaking everything down, non-stop. It can get tiring.

20. alleykat69 said, on June 13, 2018 at 4:34 pm

Ever since the concussion the oaf has not been the same player.Theirs a lot of timing elements in his swing especially his front leg raised and drop, just not in sync as prior to the headblast.
    Frankly Blade I hope your wrong and Mac gets the majority of the starts consistently, cause they need him out, there not on the bench are in sac town.
    Flannery&Auerila were basically saying the same thing:Keep running him out.Its like Top Gun when Maverick lost Goose in the jet lag incident, after he was cleared of negligence, Tom Skerrit said :Keep sending him up. Of course he did have some confidence issues and maybe Mac’s feeling it to, but you have to play him!! Pence is not a option even Richie said, he might of tinkered with his new stance, but where’s the results! Ballsy for Richie to say but he’s spot on with that call.,

• blade3colorado said, on June 13, 2018 at 4:40 pm

I draw the line at the Oaf flying me to Vietnam. 🙂

21. Flavor said, on June 13, 2018 at 4:50 pm

tough one, Longo tagged that one….

22. Flavor said, on June 13, 2018 at 5:00 pm

Crawford is no longer the hottest hitter on the planet

23. zumiee said, on June 13, 2018 at 5:08 pm

The Orioles are 27 games out in their division already. Ouch.

24. unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2018 at 5:17 pm

Wow. The Marlins are determined to run the bases poorly at every turn. And he doesn’t even follow the direction of his teammate.

25. unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2018 at 5:17 pm

And my record for turning the TV on at the wrong time returns as well.

• Lurker John said, on June 13, 2018 at 6:07 pm

What, you think you’re an exclusive member of that club?

26. Flavor said, on June 13, 2018 at 5:18 pm

so good

27. Bozo said, on June 13, 2018 at 5:18 pm

Here we go again…

28. Flavor said, on June 13, 2018 at 5:45 pm

Well, he can’t hit with power anymore for some reason but that was a clutch hit by Actionless….

29. Flavor said, on June 13, 2018 at 6:12 pm

Longo and Cutch, keeping this game winnable

30. unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2018 at 6:19 pm

How many 0-2 RBIs have we given up these past 3 games? It seems like all of them.

31. Flavor said, on June 13, 2018 at 6:26 pm

Either Watson is unhittable or Castro mailed in that at bat.

32. Lurker John said, on June 13, 2018 at 6:28 pm

I for 10, now 1 for 11 lifetime. Doesn’t see him.

33. Bozo said, on June 13, 2018 at 6:29 pm

Is it Miami Diet night at the yard? I haven’t see one person eating or drinking anything.

• Flavor said, on June 13, 2018 at 6:36 pm

i’m still scanning the seats for “one person”

• Bozo said, on June 13, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Hold on now, I just saw a shot of both of their fans.

• Flavor said, on June 13, 2018 at 6:44 pm

that was a quick screen shot but I think those were ushers.

• Bozo said, on June 13, 2018 at 6:51 pm

Those poor bastards.

• Macdog said, on June 13, 2018 at 6:38 pm

Shouldn’t that be the South Beach Diet?

• Bozo said, on June 13, 2018 at 6:42 pm

I think you’re right Mac.

• xoot said, on June 13, 2018 at 8:55 pm

my son explained that those guys in the bright yellowish t-shirts sitting in the barcaloungers behind home plate are not marlins security goons. They’re advertising with those shirts. Bail bonds, he thinks. Pretty cheap way to get air time, I bet.

34. Macdog said, on June 13, 2018 at 6:52 pm

Goddammit, can’t the Giants hold a fucking lead against this team?

35. Flavor said, on June 13, 2018 at 7:11 pm

Bochy knows this guy can’t throw strikes, dumb time to bring him in

36. blade3colorado said, on June 13, 2018 at 7:12 pm

Not looking good.

37. Flavor said, on June 13, 2018 at 7:13 pm

Boch pulled the fat man so there’s still hope

38. blade3colorado said, on June 13, 2018 at 7:22 pm

Posey = Savior

39. blade3colorado said, on June 13, 2018 at 7:24 pm

Strychnine poisoning . . . pfffttt!

40. djloo27 said, on June 13, 2018 at 7:24 pm

41. mrsprtdude said, on June 13, 2018 at 7:25 pm

Fucking lame we can’t beat these guys. just when i think we might have a shot…
    Dodgers Kershaw Hill Ryu Maeda Bueler all on the DL. I wonder if a team has ever had all 5 starters on the DL at the same time? And yet they are still ahead of us. Hate to be a downer but watching us struggle against all the teams that suck just really pisses me off, and is a buzz kill

42. chipower9 said, on June 13, 2018 at 7:25 pm

Shit piss fuck hell cocksucker motherfucker and tits!

43. Lurker John said, on June 13, 2018 at 7:26 pm

Can’t beat the fucking Marlins. Haven’t been able to since 1993. This team is destined for mediocrity.

44. Macdog said, on June 13, 2018 at 7:29 pm

I turned it off after the walk to the .164 hitter who wanted to bunt.

45. willedav said, on June 13, 2018 at 7:52 pm

back to back bombs and Stros now lead A’s 10-zip top of 2nd.
    I think A’s wish Stros would go back to NL.

46. snarkk said, on June 13, 2018 at 8:01 pm

SF broadcasters blaming Pen being gassed. Maybe, but Melancon? The dude gave up a run, he hasn’t pitched long enough this season to be gassed. No doubt this max 5-frame thing that has been happening for starters is the ultimate killer if it continues. If the Pen is gassed now, it’s going to be a brutal next 8 weeks, and THEN the dog days start…

47. djloo27 said, on June 13, 2018 at 8:01 pm

48. snarkk said, on June 13, 2018 at 8:38 pm

As a fan, I can deal with a .500 or near .500 team that is competitive, but falls short of a WCII spot. But, that’s if there is player development in the season. Looks like with young starters, that may happen. But, if Cutch and Actionless and Pence are out there all year basically just cashing checks and taking spots that Slater and/or Duggar or Shaw should be in to get experience to hit the ground running for 2019 when those 3 older dudes are gone, then that’s a largely useless .500 season …

49. xoot said, on June 13, 2018 at 8:40 pm

“Why did you bring your closer in to pitch the 9th in a tie game on the road?” “What fucking difference does it make? They’re all falling apart. It’s like the end of 2016 all over again.” “Thank you, Bruce.” “Fuck you. Where’s that bottle?”

50. zumiee said, on June 13, 2018 at 9:02 pm

The Padres are only 1 game behind the Giants.

51. chipower9 said, on June 14, 2018 at 7:15 am

There was quite a bit of talk about this team being fun to watch, especially in comparison to last year’s train wreck (and I was one of those in that camp), but I’ll tell you, losing these last three, to this team, in the fashion in which they have, has challenged that train of thought.

52. chipower9 said, on June 14, 2018 at 7:17 am

Just win a fucking game, already!

1. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    2. Buster Posey (R) C
    3. Andrew McCutchen (R) RF
    4. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    5. Evan Longoria (R) 3B
    6. Pablo Sandoval (S) 1B
    7. Mac Williamson (R) LF
    8. Gorkys Hernandez (R) CF
    9. Dereck Rodriguez (R) P

53. willedav said, on June 14, 2018 at 7:40 am

It’s on in hour and a half too.
    SF is 7-5 this month. 6-4 vs. LA 4-5 vs. AZ just after taking 2 of 3 from Nats and beating Scherzer.
    Take today and the weekend in the Latrine the Marlins will be forgotten.

• blade3colorado said, on June 14, 2018 at 8:01 am

If you’re around in mid-August, let’s go to an SJ Giants game. Almost certain, snarkk will be down with that. I’ll be in town for a few weeks.