Is Baseball Getting Boring?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 18, 2018

Don’t get me wrong, I like home runs. But one of the best parts of a home run is how it can sneak up on you. There’s nothing more underwhelming than coming to expect a home run several times a game. Baseball has turned into a string of strikeouts and then whenever a dude puts the ball in the air, in play, it’s gone. What the hell is that?

When Barry played, I expected a home run. Every swing I expected a dong. But there were 8 other dudes mixed in there who would do something other than blast one out of the park. A triple is often more exciting than a home run. I love stolen bases. Double plays. Line drives that get snagged with the defender laid out horizontal to the earth.

Last night? Eh, I dunno. I was watching that and while Gennett certainly fueled some excitement into the game, the rest of them…..it just kinda cheapens the accomplishment when there are so many of them. It’s either strikeout or bomb.

I understand that’s how the game is played now. I just don’t think I like how the game is played now.

1. Flavor said, on July 18, 2018 at 7:02 am

2. willedav said, on July 18, 2018 at 7:29 am

Flav hope you’re right about Machado taking time to adjust to league but that’s a big RH middle order bat.
    They can bench Forsythe (who sucks) and play Taylor at 2b, very big upgrade.
    Suppose I told you Giants replaced Panik with Jose Altuve?

Sure LA has other issues like the mgr/pitching but that is last place I wanted him to go.

I miss SBs too. Like to see Hanson/Duggar do more of it when they get on. Being selective at plate and getting on base via walk still important.

3. snarkk said, on July 18, 2018 at 8:05 am

Well, if the HR every other inning is the new normal, the Giants better start getting normal…

4. zumiee said, on July 18, 2018 at 8:13 am

During the game, on his mic, Blackmon said he gets bored in the outfield.
    Crawford played three innings at shortstop; did he have a single play on defense?

• snarkk said, on July 18, 2018 at 8:23 am

Like I heard the other day on radio, last year there was something like 10,000 fewer balls put in play for the season compared to 2009. If that’s even close to accurate, that sounds like a lot of lost baseball activity. I love the HR, but not to the point it’s the only scoring activity in a game. If we keep going to nothing but HRs, Ks and BBs, this thing about time of game is not going to be the main reason people stop watching…

5. wilcojoe said, on July 18, 2018 at 8:19 am

I agree with SanDawg that I too enjoyed having the players mic’d up on the field. There was one funny comment when Harper caught a routine fly ball and Buck teased “ yeah Bryce, even I could have caught that” and Harper gave a smug response like “yeah I am sure you could have.”

It’s great being able to see the personalities of guys like Lindor (how could you not love that guy) and Blackmon and of course hearing Springer and his slight stutter (he is open about his childhood fight with stuttering).

I agree Chuck, those hats were too cool. It took me a while to realize the Expos connection.

6. willedav said, on July 18, 2018 at 8:26 am

Astros are such an amazing team hope they can repeat. I think they do it the right way too.
    Their hitting is down slightly from last year but they are still second in league for runs hits walks BA and OB.

Even more important though, their pitching is tops and they are allowing way fewer runs than last year even in a hitter friendly yard. They have allowed the fewest runs hits and bombs in AL.

I think that is more the way Giants have to go given their yard—get on base more and hit for higher average, and improve pitching to hold the other teams down.

7. wilcojoe said, on July 18, 2018 at 8:35 am

I have to be honest that I don’t follow the Giants as much as I used to. I am so dismayed at ownership/managements lack of vision. They seem to be content with mediocrity and are living in the past. They should be rebuilding the house and instead they are patching up leaks. They don’t have to spend six years tanking like the Astros in order to be relevant again. The Yankees and Red Sox (the Jones’s if you will) haven’t sucked for more than one consecutive season yet they still managed to trade away important pieces (both at the minor and major league level) in order to rebuild, or should I say reload?

Bumgarner should have been gone by now, yet here he is, our biggest trade piece whose value drops a little more every day. If you guys want to believe this club can compete for post season relevancy, aye salud, but I for one am more than happy to remember the great vibes of the 3 in 5 and hope that at some point soon, they will tear down the house.

• snarkk said, on July 18, 2018 at 8:46 am

Bravo ! …

• Flavor said, on July 18, 2018 at 9:21 am

POTD

8. zumiee said, on July 18, 2018 at 9:05 am

The movie shifts to a scene in an office at AT&T Park. Baer, Sabean, and Evans are sitting together. A Kinks song plays on the soundtrack:
    “Living on a thin line,
    Tell me now, what are we supposed to do?
    Living on a thin line,
    Tell me now, what are we supposed to do?”

9. alleykat69 said, on July 18, 2018 at 9:07 am

Mist of the action last night was when that Milwaukee pitcher the white racist guy, forgot his name, guy came in and all the players we’re taking pics/ fans/ his family had to change their jerseys ,quite embarrassing for them I’m sure.
    Twitter was blowing up about his racial slurs they found we he was 17, Fags,KKK, whiite power etc…

• wilcojoe said, on July 18, 2018 at 9:15 am

Yeah, Schulman had a great tweet about that. Someone asked what would happen if they dug thru Giants players tweets as a teenager. His response, “When the Giants players were teenagers, the internet hadn’t been invented.”

10. unca_chuck said, on July 18, 2018 at 9:10 am

I don’t watch too much baseball except for the Giants so I don’t see the HR/K thing as much as with other teams I guess. As far as the rebuild/slash/burn approach, frankly after 3 in 5, I wouldn’t want it to happen. Them scuffling wouldn’t piss me off nearly as much if 3 in 5 didn’t happen.

I mean look at the Marlins. They won 2 in 6, but with two entirely different teams. Really 4 different teams. They won, tore down, rebuilt, tore down, rebuilt, and won again.

Kinda like the A’s but successful. Point being, is it easy to root for a team that is completely different year to year? I know y’all don’t quite want that, but if we get rid of Bunmie, Craw, and Panik at the cost of rebuilding, I’m not sure If I’d dig the team as much.

Like Jerry said, at some point you are rooting for the laundry. And I’m gonna get one of those All Star hats.

11. unca_chuck said, on July 18, 2018 at 9:12 am

Love the Kinks. Sunny Afternoon is one of the greatest songs of all time. It sets a perfect mood in my head. Never saw them but saw Ray Davies solo at the Keystone a while ago.

12. snarkk said, on July 18, 2018 at 9:18 am

I’ll admit I root for Giants laundry.
    I like having certain players being around long term, but the laundry is the ultimate thing.
    That’s why I have no problem trading Bum or anybody else to keep the laundry healthy and clean.
    They traded Mays, McCovey, Perry, Cepeda, and Marichal pitched for the Doghairs fer criminy sake. HOFers all.
    The Niners traded Joe.
    Bum ain’t better than any of those dudes…

• unca_chuck said, on July 18, 2018 at 9:22 am

Reminds me of Pink Floyd.

Mother do you think they’ll win the game?
      Mother do you think they’ll stay the same?
      Mother do you think they’ll break up my team?
      Mother’s gonna keep the Giants healthy and clean!
      Ooooh, baby
      can we hit them over the walll?

13. Flavor said, on July 18, 2018 at 9:22 am

it’s absolute bullshit to give this Brewers pitcher a pass just because *those tweets were 7 years ago*. He was 17, he knew what he was fucking tweeting.

• snarkk said, on July 18, 2018 at 9:31 am

Thank you.
      The guy himself is fessing up, he’s not running from it. He says he’s sorry. Ok, fine. But, others are giving him a pass for being young and dumb, and “we all did or said stuff we shouldn’t have when we were young”.
      Really, we “all” did?
      I never said crap like that when I was young. Never, never even thought it. I wasn’t raised to have that in mind, or lie like a rug, or be a thug, or whatever else get’s a pass now for being “young and dumb”.
      7 is young and maybe dumb. 17 may be dumb (or 71 in the case of Our Dear Liar), but it isn’t young…

• Flavor said, on July 18, 2018 at 9:54 am

Your posts today are making me wish I hadn’t deep sixed the thumbs up button

• snarkk said, on July 18, 2018 at 10:07 am

Just my luck!
        Like my mental clarity as I age, the quality of my posts may vary day to day…

14. Flavor said, on July 18, 2018 at 9:26 am

lol, Purvis Short gets a call out!

15. unca_chuck said, on July 18, 2018 at 9:28 am

Then again, we’ve all done shit in the past that thankfully wasn’t available for consumption by the world at large. Did he think someday he’d be a star baseball player in the public eye? Prolly not.

At what point does being overly zealous about past misdeeds get stupid? I didn’t see the tweets, I have no idea how bad they were, but shit, it’s things like this false equivalence that gives strength to oppression. False equivalence got Al Franken shoved out the door when his actions were equated with Roy Moore’s.

• Flavor said, on July 18, 2018 at 9:53 am

To me it doesn’t matter if he knew he’d be famous or not. At 17 you have convictions, his were awful and he should be judged on them regardless of whether he is in the public eye or not.

16. zumiee said, on July 18, 2018 at 9:35 am

I’ll give MLB this: their All-Star game is a zillion times better than the ones for the NFL and the NBA. Those two are a farce.

17. unca_chuck said, on July 18, 2018 at 10:01 am

The NBA is a major league joke. The NFL’s is an afterthought. Still and all, I didn’t watch any of it.

• snarkk said, on July 18, 2018 at 10:18 am

I didn’t even watch one highlight. I listened a bit on my digital Walkman while out in my back yard last evening. On radio, it was like white noise. Ugh. I quickly turned onto the 95.7 sports talk instead. I don’t say that to be cute, just real. When I was a kid and the only time you could see all these stars was the AS game, it was a big deal. Now, it’s a nothing burger to me. Anybody remember when Bobby Bonds led off an AS game and came out with white cleats? Nobody did that, maybe not even the As back then, not sure. My jaw dropped when I saw that, I still remember it. I’m sounding like Eastwood in Gran Torino now. But, when you’ve seen and followed baseball as long as I have and like a lot of you other Flappers have, you realize that the golden age of baseball is long gone…

18. chipower9 said, on July 18, 2018 at 10:20 am

I am with you Flav. While I too like an occasional, well-timed HR, I am not a fan of the game as it is today. I love the hit-and-run, seeing runners going first to third, etc. maybe i’m old fashioned but so be it. I agree with snarkk’s comment about the game, and it keeps moving towards nothing but HRs, strikeouts, and walks, they are really going to lose folks’ interest.

I saw a very little bit of last night’s game, and really had little to no interest. I was ready two days ago to get back to playing meaningful baseball games.

Fucking bums landing Manny,but to honest, I am not surprised. Fuck ‘em.

19. alleykat69 said, on July 18, 2018 at 10:28 am

All I know is Joey Bart cleared out his Twitter/Facebook shit .Makes you wonder what he had on it? But smart enough to dump anything incriminating.. That’s a good reason not to have your stuff out their for anyone too see..

• snarkk said, on July 18, 2018 at 11:52 am

If I were a ball player and my agent told me I needed to be on twitter or FB for whatever business or money making reason, I would make darn sure I was locked out of the ability to actually post on it. Too risky. Somebody would have to manage it and be employed to post only innocuous, non controversial crap at irregular intervals or whatever might be required by an endorsements deal. Or, if I could not trust somebody to do that, I just wouldn’t do it at all…

• snarkk said, on July 18, 2018 at 11:57 am

Bart needs to get pushed up stat to single A at San Jose. If he rakes there, he should go to the AFL. If he rakes there, time for major league camp next Spring. IMO no need to waste a bunch of HRs in Sac, especially if he’s ready defensively. Will came up after what, 62 minor league games?…

20. zumiee said, on July 18, 2018 at 12:00 pm

I was pondering today what made me fall in love with baseball in the first place. As a kid, more-so than hitting the ball it was CATCHING the ball that was most fun. Playing catch (or “having a catch” as our East coast Flappers might say), or catching a fly or grounder in a game. Exciting and sometimes terrifying.
    I was never all that good a player as a youth, but I got pretty good later in life as a Friday night softball player.
    I still enjoy just playing catch with a nephew. We toss it around once in a while. Gotta keep my glove in good shape. 🙂

• zumiee said, on July 18, 2018 at 12:04 pm

When I was playing little league, we were still using wood bats in those days, and I broke a bat one time. My coach was angry and vented at me. A lot of coaches were terrible in those days.

• zumiee said, on July 18, 2018 at 12:10 pm

I remember the sun making flyballs so difficult. And the fields so bumpy. So many obstacles for young players. And the players are just out there in isolation on defense. No where to hide. You can hide in basketball and football a bit. Baseball’s more emotionally difficult. No wonder not as many kids want to play it.

21. alleykat69 said, on July 18, 2018 at 12:59 pm

I liked in “Field of Dreams” towards the end when Kevin Costner’s dad Ray Kasella (sp?) was the only guy on the field,a washed up catcher,as Costner realized it’s his pop, and asks him “hey you want to play some catch? Still gets me teary eye to see that scene..
    That and when Moonlight Graham finally got a chance to hit and the rook winked at the pitcher after getting brushed back and Ray Liotta says he doesn’t really want to walk you, so look for a pitch down and away, but also one in your ear 👂…

• djloo27 said, on July 18, 2018 at 3:59 pm

Field of Dreams would’ve 1,000 times more fun if the Ray Liotta from Goodfellas moved into the cornfield with his crew…

• alleykat69 said, on July 18, 2018 at 4:24 pm

Yeah I always thought that as well Loo!
        Ray Liotta telling the boys in the corn 🌽 patch, “Hey we’re going to make some Corn Mash Moonshine,Just for the rook Moonlight Graham” getting his 1st 👋 hit, and yeah Ty Cobb ain’t allowed, no one liked that SOB when he played so fuckem!!!!

• YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on July 18, 2018 at 4:24 pm

My Pops dropped me off three long Wichita blocks away from the theater, then returned an hour after it was over with his “cousin’s daughter” riding shotgun. Granted, I was 27 at the time, but still, it was the middle of January.

22. YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on July 18, 2018 at 2:31 pm

So the Orioles are willing to give the Dodgers Machado AND money for a couple of broke down prospects and an ’88 Merkur XR4T. If it were Rome’s, then maybe you could find his coke stash.
    As for boring baseball, I like the HRs, it’s all the strikeouts and relatively few BAPIPs that are dull to watch, or. In my case, listen to on the radio. All the inaction is filtered through his unimaginative play by play.

23. Flavor said, on July 18, 2018 at 4:17 pm

quick summary of what the Dodgers gave up. They know they’re only getting Machado for 2 months, everyone knows this, this is probably the best the O’s were gonna do.

24. unca_chuck said, on July 18, 2018 at 4:21 pm

The reason I loved Hank Greenwald was his ability to make so many of those shitty Giants games tolerable.

And yeah, I’d love THIS team ti hit more home runs. The rest or ’em? Naaah. As far as Machado goes, maybe he pulls an Affeldt and hurts himself tripping over a bat or some shit. I’m not particularly concerned about our chances, because I think we will fade, as there are tough teams coming up. Oak, Seattle, Mil, AZ and Houston are our next 5 series. With a 2 game SD roadie in there.

I don’t think we survive.

• alleykat69 said, on July 18, 2018 at 4:28 pm

Maybe Affeldt can show Machado how to cut frozen hamburger patties..

• chipower9 said, on July 18, 2018 at 7:03 pm

On the other hand, if by some miraculous wild-ass chance they are still 3-4 back after those series, well, it is a whole different story. But, I could certainly see it playing out as you describe, Charlie.

25. Flavor said, on July 18, 2018 at 4:25 pm

Also, Keith Law was on KNBR yesterday jizzing about Diaz so the Dodgers definitely gave up something good. Hopefully that comes back to bite them in the ass somewhere down the road.

26. zumiee said, on July 18, 2018 at 4:56 pm

Saw the movie “American Hustle” recently and I would rate it as a good one. The acting performances are all great, especially the two lead women, Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence, two of the best actresses of this era.
    The movie is based on the ABSCAM sting operation in the late ’70s and early ’80s that sent several politicians to prison, and was a wake-up call to many others probably..
    Music is used to great effect in the movie.
    The movie is kind like combining some of “Goodfellas” with “The Wolf of Wall Street” and with a little of “Catch Me If You Can” thrown in, but still feels like its own movie completely. Influenced by some other films, but its own thing entirely.

• xoot said, on July 18, 2018 at 6:30 pm

American Hustle is a very good movie. The US Attorney’s Office subplot is hilarious and Amy Adams nearly stole the show.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on July 18, 2018 at 6:38 pm

Agree, great film, one you can watch a couple times and catch something new. The whole cast was excellent, especially the 2 actresses, and I’m not a Christian Bale fan at all, can’t stand most of his “acting”, but he was great in that film. Hudson and the “science oven” scene was hysterical.

• zumiee said, on July 18, 2018 at 7:13 pm

Totally agree with both of you on all of that.

27. djloo27 said, on July 18, 2018 at 5:16 pm

The Dodgers probably aren’t done dealing, but they could be better than last year now.
    It may still just come down to Kershaw.
    Rooster should stop being a baby and weigh in…

• Flavor said, on July 18, 2018 at 5:21 pm

i don’t think they’re better at all. No Seager. Bellinger not having nearly as good of a year. Same with Wood (who sucks). Kershaw totally human. Hill still dealing with blisters. They were way better last year, even with Machado. If they add on to that, we’ll re-evaluate but that’s how I feel right now

• Flavor said, on July 18, 2018 at 5:23 pm

also, I still gotta watch The Gambler but it’s in the hopper.

28. xoot said, on July 18, 2018 at 6:32 pm

“Every bar has its obnoxious drunk.”

29. Flavor said, on July 18, 2018 at 7:08 pm

Loo, you got a story about this?

• djloo27 said, on July 18, 2018 at 8:00 pm

It’s a very well known race, Flavor – although I’ve never seen that angle. Slew’s courage in defeat was incredible. Cordero will tell you to this day that he hasn’t gotten over it. I’m sure that was the race when Affirmed’s saddle slipped so he was no factor. Poor Exceller had a gruesome demise…

30. mrsprtdude said, on July 18, 2018 at 7:32 pm

I agree with Craig. Are they better today than yesterady? Yes. As good as 17. Nope. Machado for Seager..AL wins it this year imo. It’s a lock. Warriors- Houston was going to beat the Lebrons.
    Boston- Houston winner will beat any team from the NL, at least at this point…

31. Flavor said, on July 18, 2018 at 8:35 pm

Jesus, that was an incredible race by Slew. Did you remember he broke through the gate? And then went the first half in 45.1? Incredible that he was able to finish so strong

• djloo27 said, on July 18, 2018 at 8:51 pm

Didn’t remember that – also didn’t realize Affirmed hung in as long as he did – although I know I’m right about the saddle. Worst of all, I thought Slew came battling back on the rail. My memory sure ain’t what it used to be – but what a fuckin’ race!

• djloo27 said, on July 18, 2018 at 8:54 pm

I knew the fractions were insane. Somewhere, you can find a great interview of Cordero talking about the race and taking all the blame for getting caught up in the speed duel…

• Flavor said, on July 18, 2018 at 8:59 pm

they were ding donging away like P-Val on an 8 ball.

32. theroooster said, on July 18, 2018 at 9:02 pm

Machado Machado Machado

• Flavor said, on July 19, 2018 at 7:23 am

you’re gonna need more and as I said last year, I actually guaranteed it many times, LA isn’t winning shit again this season….

33. snarkk said, on July 18, 2018 at 9:03 pm

I’m with Chuck.
    I think Giants will do a slow fade after the AS break.
    Samardzxxx is likely done for the year, or if he comes back, ineffective.
    The two young arms will likely do a slow fade as they reach innings levels they’re not used to, unless they judiciously use the 10 day DL like LA does, which I don’t think they’ll do. Cueto is still a question mark, Bum looks like he needs time to sort things out.
    I don’t see any big moves being made before 7/31, so the runs and power droughts will continue, even with Longoria back sometime in August.
    As long as they’re generally competitive, OK, I’m interested.
    I just don’t see this organization heading into the offseason with much momentum, or a way out of mediocrity anytime soon…

34. theroooster said, on July 18, 2018 at 9:04 pm

Lol Loo, “baby” what the?