Oh Screw It, Just Keep Him

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 14, 2018

Trading or keeping Madison Bumgarner is probably the most interesting topic we’ll kick around this off season. The dazzling idea of scooping up a bounty of prospects for Bum is alluring. But it’s also not realistic. I’ve held on to the dream that teams would want Bumgarner because of his legendary post season success but that’s not how players are evaluated anymore. The nerds with the calculators don’t have a button for “legendary”. They look at the peripherals and those are trending downward. OPS is one of the favorite stats considered here at the Flap. Opponents OPS vs Bum’s fastball has climbed from .619 in 2014 to a whopping .954 last year. Who is gonna pay up for that?

Sadly, I think Bum is worth more to us than anyone else just because fans love him and I can’t see Baer signing off on trading him for one decent pitching prospect–which is probably all we’d get offered.

Whatever, keep him, try to fill out the roster with a gaggle of Muncy’s and see what happens……

1. unca_chuck said, on November 14, 2018 at 7:08 am

Well, the fucking Dodgers keep finding them. Maybe we need new trainers

2. willedav said, on November 14, 2018 at 7:19 am

Yes, just keep him and let him be anchor role model for the younger guys. Keep Holland too dang it. I”ve said this before–no one is trading the next Acuna for him, only one in 6-12 level of their best prospects and one more way lower. Lord knows the Giants aren’t going to out bomb teams much in near future so you need to have pitching to hold others down.

Re: D Green. Yes Durant is a beatch for yelling at him. so don’t sink to that level!
    Regardless of what you are thinking, like “dang there’s never enough shots for this guy he always wants the ball”…what you say out loud is “My bad” and give him a fist bump. And it’s over and you move on and get your head (and the team) in the present moment.
    So calm down think about it and do the right thing next time.

3. unca_chuck said, on November 14, 2018 at 7:40 am

KD wants to be LeBron it seems. He wants to bring different teams to the finals. More and more I’m thinking he splits after this year.

If he splits, he’ll go east. Although speaking of Bron Bron, he wants him in LA. Now that would suck. I don;t think that ever happens. Word is the Knicks.

• willedav said, on November 14, 2018 at 8:04 am

I’m sure if Kerr had 5 seconds to draw something up results would have been different. But this is HS shit I used to listen to all the time–“he never throws me the ball.” Get over it. Durant had some awful turnovers that night too–one was a lazy inbounds bounce pass that got stolen for a breakaway dunk.
      I think he sticks around and realizes this is as good as it’s gonna get in lot of ways, especially new arena.

4. unca_chuck said, on November 14, 2018 at 8:10 am

Yeah, that game was awful all around by everyone, including Kerr, but still and all, Draymond isn’t the scorer. The go-to option is Klay or KD and Klay wan’t in position.

I’d think KD would have committed by now if he really wanted to stay.

5. willedav said, on November 14, 2018 at 8:18 am

Speaking of finding a bunch of Muncys, hope Hanson can build off what he did last year. Pick up the OB and continue to hit well with some pop LH. Might not be full time starter but guy is never boring, at bat or uh in the field.
    DRod, same way. Giants found something in both these guys no one else did and helped their development along.
    At same time, no reason for Giants not to spend money to improve team if situation is right/player is good fit.

6. blade3colorado said, on November 14, 2018 at 9:04 am

I trust in the new “boy wonder.” Trade him, keep him – I don’t really care one way or the other. However, FanGraphs Steamer projections essentially have him as “meh.”

203 IP, 3.91 ERA, 4.00 FIP, 183 SO, 57 BB, 26 HR

If he gives up 26 bombs, than that will match his 2016 when he threw 23 more innings.

7. sandog said, on November 14, 2018 at 9:07 am

Hello Fellas–
    Three days of no power or internet at my place due to super high winds and power company trying to prevent another fire. In town at Denny’s now catching up on things. School cancelled Y & T.
    Flav–glad to have you on the “Keep Bum” bandwagon, which puts you in great position to hop on the “Extend Bum” bandwagon—which has plenty of good seats available!

• Flavor said, on November 14, 2018 at 9:40 am

no. I reject any extension though I strongly believe 3 years/60 mil is coming before spring training ends.

• alleykat69 said, on November 14, 2018 at 9:53 am

Yeah I’m al in in keeping Bum Dawg
      I’m not all in you going to Denny’s forthwith sponge sausage 😄

8. snarkk said, on November 14, 2018 at 9:53 am

Zaidi is smart enough not to sign Bum to some idiotic long term mega deal. He had to have that conversation already in the job interviews with Baer…

• blade3colorado said, on November 14, 2018 at 10:09 am

Good point. Also, as I pointed out the other day, he hasn’t ever supported/given out “mega deals” while with the Bums or A’s. I think what Flavor said about 3 years/$60 million is doable (actually, SD indicated this a month or so ago and I concurred at the time . . . I think the exact figures were 3 years and $56 million or thereabout. Correct me if I am wrong San Dog).

9. alleykat69 said, on November 14, 2018 at 10:19 am

Oh I think that deal will be to low for Bum.
    If the dogpile is giving Opie 30 mil, Bum will get 25 mil easily 3/75 more logical..

10. Bozo said, on November 14, 2018 at 11:09 am

It seemed to me that Bum would do well for 5 or 6 innings last year, it was that third time through the lineup where things seemed to get interesting. I have no clue if he was fully recovered from his injuries last year, but if he can get us five-6 innings per outing this year, I’m good with keeping him around. If he is productive but they think they need to trade him, I think he would bring back more in a trade at the deadline than he would now.

But keeping Bum, may have been in the cards after they got a team friendly contract from him. I seem to recall many wanting to give him a sizable raise, well, that raise might be in the form of a two year extension. The worse thing that could happen is they put him in the Pen. Shit, make him the cLoser, unless his arm falls off, Bum can get you 3 outs.

11. unca_chuck said, on November 14, 2018 at 11:59 am

Bummie could have gotten a shit-ton more last contract time but didn’t seem to give a shit. The thought is see what he thinks about 3-60.

I don’t consider 3/60 to be too long but I wouldn’t go any mores with the years. Money? Fuck it. They can afford to pay what they need to. The stadium is paid for, and their real estate deal with the gleaming new b-ball arena will be the next golden goose for the poverty-crying bastards.

12. alleykat69 said, on November 14, 2018 at 1:57 pm

Tightwad Charles Johnson shits out $1,000 bills daily then has her maid recycle them,so getting a big splash player like a Harper will never happen cause he will have the final say on that type coin..

13. unca_chuck said, on November 14, 2018 at 2:01 pm

IO don’t even want Harper but there are a lot of serviceable guys we could get. Couple OFers, a starter and a couple pen guys should do it,

• alleykat69 said, on November 14, 2018 at 2:20 pm

Yeah we say that with the 49ers everyear too.
      Couple of LB’s, couple of pass rushers that can actually get to a QB,couple DB’s that can cover a reciever etc ..

• unca_chuck said, on November 14, 2018 at 2:58 pm

Yep. One pass rusher, one corner and one WR would do it for me.

14. djloo27 said, on November 14, 2018 at 2:57 pm

Bum will get at least 5 years at no less than $ 25 million per year from someone…

• Flavor said, on November 14, 2018 at 3:01 pm

boldest call of the year.

• djloo27 said, on November 14, 2018 at 3:09 pm

I think it’s obvious. You guys are posting what you think he’s worth to the Giants.
        He’s worth much more on the open market…

• Flavor said, on November 14, 2018 at 4:13 pm

Even after u consider what I wrote in today’s thread? The bean counters don’t view bum’s peripherals kindly

• alleykat69 said, on November 14, 2018 at 3:27 pm

Agree Loo,
      I was going 3/75 just to squeeze hopefully the best he has left, but after getting rear ended on his last contract, it’s time he sticksit to the Giants..so I’ll toss in another year at 4/115 still cheaper the Opie..

15. Flavor said, on November 14, 2018 at 6:00 pm

16. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 14, 2018 at 7:40 pm

While the “what to do with MadBum” topic is interesting, I hope it’s not the *most interesting* thing we’ll have to talk about in the off-season. We’ve already talked about it a lot, and while we all seem to have our own opinions, we’ll just have to wait for how the FO deals with it (I’ve opined they should keep him, for various reasons). No, I want more interesting topics than that, starting with who will be the new GM, how long will it take the 2 new guys to start taking some action, what such actions might be, what about Brucie, what about that outfield, is Hanson suitable for full-time play, etc. Oh hell, I guess we’ve all already talked about all that too….

17. snarkk said, on November 14, 2018 at 7:40 pm

I disagree with any notion that SF owes Bum some kind of killer deal because he signed what turned out to be a team friendly deal. He knew what he was doing. He had representation. He exchanged FA out years for security against career ending injury. So it turned into a below market deal for him in the last 2 or 3 years of the contract. Look at Zito and Cain’s deals. Did they give money back for their stinker years? Hell no…

• djloo27 said, on November 14, 2018 at 8:10 pm

Agree that they don’t owe him a killer deal, but I still think it would have been classy and well deserved to have torn up his contract after the 2014 WS that he single handedly won for them and given him say 7/140 at that time. They rewarded pretty much every other stiff from those years.

The only political thing that would be slightly interesting to me from the anti-Trump gang here is who would you like to see the Dems nominate in 2020? Or who do you think they will – and what chance of victory would he or she have?

• djloo27 said, on November 14, 2018 at 8:11 pm

I assume Bum has a new agent?

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 14, 2018 at 8:02 pm

• djloo27 said, on November 14, 2018 at 8:19 pm

Looks a lot like the impromptu softball game that I participated in right after attending an Amish wedding in Lancaster PA way back in 1967. One of the more bizarre days of my childhood…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 14, 2018 at 8:25 pm

Looks like they’re applying a defensive shift with the second baseman in shallow left?

19. alleykat69 said, on November 14, 2018 at 8:25 pm

If the Dodgers don’t have a issue giving Clayton Kershaw 3/91 and there calling him the “Pillar of the Franchise” with no W/S rings, the Giants should have no issue as well to a PROVEN 3 time W/S pitcher who singlehandedly won them the 2014 championship in the most dominant performance in W/S history! Pay the man!

20. unca_chuck said, on November 14, 2018 at 8:54 pm

I’ll say it again, I don’t think Bummie gives a shit about anyone else’s deals and how many years they got. Especially Kershaw’s deal.

All Bummie has to do is look at his World Series MVP trophy and his three rings and think; shit, money don’t buy this swag. And he doesn’t get those w/o the Giants.

He also knows good and goddamn well that the best hope for him is they get better hitters around him. Hogging all the money wouldn’t help the team.

If he was willing at 4/$80 mill, would you pull the trigger? I would. Sure he could get more, but I think he wants to stay and help the team.

21. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 14, 2018 at 10:06 pm

Loo, for months now I’ve been waiting to see the Dems put forward some form of vision, ideas, plans, programs, and good candidates, instead of just being anti-Trump, but honestly, haven’t seen much that gives me hope. And now we’re probably looking at Pelosi as speaker of the House again, same old same old. A friend of mine thinks the best ticket in 2020 would be Joe Biden/Kamala Harris. I like Joe, but man, he’s old… not sure that’s what is needed. I’ve been tending to drift toward Kirsten Gillenbrand (although you probably know more about her being in NY) or Kamala Harris. Biden/Harris…. would love to see Joe debate Trump… but if they really want to do something different, they could probably do worse than a ticket of Gillenbrand or Harris and Beto O’Rourke. He might not yet be ready for prime time, but I think he’s got a future. Overall… ugh. Another presidential election less than 2 years away….

• zumiee said, on November 14, 2018 at 10:14 pm

Harris intrigues me. She has a lot of positive qualities.
      Plus Trump would have to be careful how he attacks her.