Getting Smarter

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 11, 2019

Young Z has added a second big, pulsating brain to the think tank. No one among us should question the move. I get a kick out of old Giant lackeys like Marty Lurie and Schulman wondering when Wotus and Hensley are gonna get a shot managing. Man, these guys just don’t get it. Dudes like that aren’t getting hired anymore. They’re fine for making sure shifts are on and whatnot but they don’t understand the worth and reasoning of brains like Zaidi and Harris.

So now, just like when the power goes out at our house, we sit and wait. We wait while those brighter than us figure out how to turn the power back on…..

1. willedav said, on November 11, 2019 at 7:32 am

Thx to Zum for the 2 trips box. Kinda funny only 2 guys still playing beside Opie are Posey and Russell Martin. According to Heyman Martin wants to play again 2020.
    Despite what happened to him all too soon after 2010, Torres might have been best I saw of recent Giants RF. He was about only one fast enough to cover foul line and get to bloops there from where he had to play.

2. zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 7:37 am

• snarkk said, on November 11, 2019 at 10:45 am

I wish he were still alive; I’d be interested to see his views on what is happening in this country now.
      Also, one writer I wish were still around is Molly Ivins. Her writing and commentary would be amazing and amusing now in this target rich political environment…

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 13, 2019 at 2:36 am

Perfect. Perfectly illuminating comment to Magnus’s ‘brilliant’ last line of his post.

3. willedav said, on November 11, 2019 at 7:57 am

I wonder if Harris/Z combo will make the “creative” move and dump off Belt and Crawford, Belt being the easier one to move. Both obviously need change of scenery, won’t have Bochy out there to pencil them in everyday and park isn’t going to be reconfigured enough for their liking.

Btw 2 they are owed $70 mil ish for next 2 years. Find a taker and kick back $10 mil or more each, pick up decent shot of prospect or scrub back up and save $$$ over all on total package. But mostly clear couple more spots to open competition.
    Dubon and Solano can cover SS and there are Dozier type vets out there to cover year or so of 2b, 1b too that maybe add some level of RH power. They can also get creative at 1b or middle IF with younger guys if that’s way they want to go.

4. zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 8:13 am

Crawford’s OPS was .654 last season, ouch. He was zero fun to watch bat. And even his defense isn’t what it used to be.

5. Flavor said, on November 11, 2019 at 8:19 am

Crawford and Belt are, by far, the worst watches of any at bat in a game—and I’m counting all of MLB not just the Giants

• willedav said, on November 11, 2019 at 8:28 am

guys unable/unwilling to adjust their approach to beat defensive shifts kill me. Belt sees a pitch on outer half of plate all the time and either misses it or isn’t going to swing because he’s too busy being umpire–no that’s not a strike because I know the zone and I’m not swinging at it.

• Flavor said, on November 11, 2019 at 8:29 am

yes. He should definitely become an umpire when his career ends.

6. snarkk said, on November 11, 2019 at 9:01 am

Hey, if I’m being kicked out of the GM’s office, I want a new gig.
    Special Assistant to the President. Isn’t that where the dudes not needed get transitioned?
    I’ll get paid to do nothing; awesome…

7. Flavor said, on November 11, 2019 at 9:31 am

Zaidi probably just happy he finally has someone in the organization he can talk to at his level.

8. unca_chuck said, on November 11, 2019 at 9:33 am

They may just cut Crawfish loose. They have to lose Belt and Craw at least.

9. Bozo said, on November 11, 2019 at 9:47 am

This has nothing to do with today’s topic (or anything, really), but I find it odd that the last 6 WS winners represent each Division in MLB.
    2014 – SF, NL West
    2015 – KC, AL Central
    2016 – Cubs, NL Central
    2017 – Stros – AL West
    2018 – Sox – AL East
    2019 – Nats NL East

• zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 10:11 am

That’s pretty wild.

10. sfsarge said, on November 11, 2019 at 10:03 am

Nailed it Craig. Love this post.

11. zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 10:19 am

The NL has won 6 of the last 10 World Series, yet some broadcasters sound like they think the AL is the superior league.

12. alleykat69 said, on November 11, 2019 at 10:32 am

Maybe he’s just going off of AL dominating the All-Star game every year?which doesn’t interest me anymore though a NL win is way overdue…

13. zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 10:41 am

Thank you to all the Flappers who are military veterans for your service to the nation. I’m thinking in particular of Chi and Blade, but I’m guessing there are others. Is Sarge a veteran?

• Flavor said, on November 11, 2019 at 11:05 am

don’t forget good ol’ Twinner…..

• sfsarge said, on November 11, 2019 at 12:01 pm

Yep, I was an active duty medic when I joined the Flap, hence the name.

14. zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 10:51 am

If anyone has an interest in contemporary Native American life, in Oakland in particular, I highly recommend the novel “There There,” by Tommy Orange. Very interesting, engaging, and poignant book.

• zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 10:55 am

One of the interesting things in the novel is its depiction of life in Oakland in general. I admit to not really knowing a lot about Oakland.

• snarkk said, on November 11, 2019 at 11:04 am

I lived in Oakland for about 4 years in the late ’80s, early ’90s.
      It had/has a lot going for it. A lot wrong, too.
      We left when two people were murdered in a robbery on a late Sunday night in the neighborhood restaurant we used to go to every weekend. Too close to home, it was the last straw…

15. snarkk said, on November 11, 2019 at 11:02 am

New GM of Giants to be on KNBR momentarily…

• alleykat69 said, on November 11, 2019 at 11:04 am

Hope he has a shout out for Flap Nation!

• snarkk said, on November 11, 2019 at 11:09 am

Well, now apparently he’s not on KNBR…

• Flavor said, on November 11, 2019 at 11:14 am

we know who won’t be getting the gig as Communications Director. Hey now!

• snarkk said, on November 11, 2019 at 11:19 am

Don’t shoot the messenger. 😉
        That’ll teach me to believe anything promised by the utter doofus John Lund…

16. zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 11:51 am

Other than the Murph and Mac morning show once in a while, I can’t hang with KNBR shows anymore. I haven’t heard Papa’s new show yet, though. He can be pretty good. Tolbert seems kind of bored with his show or something. He had that near-death medical emergency a while back, and maybe it’s hard for him to get worked up about sports anymore. It’s understandable.

• alleykat69 said, on November 11, 2019 at 12:25 pm

Working all those years with the Razor would shorten anyone’s enthusiasm with life. Deep down I think Tolbert couldn’t stand his annoying approach,and was relieved when he got canned..

• Flavor said, on November 11, 2019 at 1:04 pm

Papa is great. And I have grown to like M/M in the morning on way to work. the rest of it isn’t very good

17. mrsprtdude said, on November 11, 2019 at 12:17 pm

Looks like a great hire. Harris was director of baseball operations for the Cubs at 25! That’s sick!

18. unca_chuck said, on November 11, 2019 at 1:33 pm

Papa sucks. His Niner TD calls are awful. “Touchdown San Franciseeeeew!’ ?? Fuck that. it’s “Touchdown Forty Niners!!” It awlays will be. Never liked him. His trashing of Pablito’s English 8 years ago was the last straw for me.

It sucks that for the first time in my life, I really dislike our radio guy. We’ve had nothing but the best since the Lon Simmons days back in the 60s.

• Flavor said, on November 11, 2019 at 1:39 pm

Love the new td call. Papa is 10 X better than Robinson, they aren’t even close

• snarkk said, on November 11, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Agreed. Robinson was average, at best.
        Even when he had a good team…

19. zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 2:34 pm

The Niner game tonight is the most anticipation I’ve had for a Niner game in years.

• Flavor said, on November 11, 2019 at 3:11 pm

• djloo27 said, on November 11, 2019 at 3:53 pm

I’ve always preferred Wranglers over Levi’s. Depending on the style, Levi’s either sit too low or run up my crack…

20. zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 4:05 pm

I prefer black jeans to blue jeans, although I got my first pair of blue jeans in many years recently.

• djloo27 said, on November 11, 2019 at 4:20 pm

Me too, Zum.
      Calvin Klein might’ve been the first to come out with them…

21. zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 4:57 pm

Dodger blogger Scott Andes thinks the Dodgers should get Bumgarner.
    “Look I don’t like Bumgarner anymore than you do. The thought is kind of sickening. However the Dodgers need guys who can play in October and I really want to win a World Series. Bumgarner is one of the best in the playoffs and wouldn’t be a bad back of the rotation guy as well. This means we would have to let all that other stuff go. We would have to let go of all the Yasiel Puig confrontations, the “go get it out of the ocean” incident with Max Muncy, and all the rest of Bumgarner’s crap. It’s a small price to pay if you want to win a World Series and Bumgarner could help the Dodgers do this. Now excuse me while I go shower.”

• Flavor said, on November 11, 2019 at 5:04 pm

Fuck this guy. And also, he’d never sign in LA

• zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 5:08 pm

The Braves seem like the team that will get Bum.

• zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 5:13 pm

The Yankees blew it last season, IMO.

• blade3colorado said, on November 11, 2019 at 5:14 pm

This is like something out of an alternate universe, eh? Sort of like Superman’s bizarro multiverse world.

• zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 5:18 pm

Bum in a Dodger uniform is unthinkable.

• alleykat69 said, on November 11, 2019 at 5:32 pm

Yeah fuck this guy! And Bum would smack this no life around just thinking he’s a back in rotation guy! That’s reserved for Opie now..

22. zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 5:10 pm

I wonder how many Americans could give a decent summary of what’s happening in Iraq and Afghanistan, our two forever wars. I’m guessing a low percentage.

• blade3colorado said, on November 11, 2019 at 5:19 pm

Dunno about Iraq, but Afghanistan and the USA (non-declared war) is a carbon copy of the Soviet–Afghan War, which lasted over nine years, from December 1979 to February 1989. Back than, the Soviets were fighting insurgent groups known collectively as the Mujahideen. We all know how that turned out . . . bye bye Soviet Union.

23. zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 6:48 pm

Niners dominated the half except on the scoreboard, as the old saying goes.

• Macdog said, on November 11, 2019 at 6:52 pm

Yeah, they started out beating the pants off the Seahawks. Now it’s a game.

24. zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 7:15 pm

“Jeff Passan
    @JeffPassan
    Giants have a lot of work to do still. But their farm system has improved significantly, their ability to find productive marginal talent last year was impressive and once they’re on the cusp, they’re going to have vast financial might. A multiyear project, but one worth buying.”

25. zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 7:24 pm

NFL receivers that can’t catch very well ain’t a good thing.

26. snarkk said, on November 11, 2019 at 7:33 pm

Giants have totally new FO management, and will have all new on-field management. That’s like a new team to Bum, so why wouldn’t he move to an actual, new team, instead of taking that one year QO deal?…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 11, 2019 at 7:47 pm

Good point… but we don’t really know what’s going on in that Big Country brain of his. He seemed very adamant about wanting to stay. I still think he signs with the Giants. Maybe he’s actually looking forward to things being a little different….

27. zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 7:45 pm

Without Kittle and Sanders, the receivers are not much.

28. Macdog said, on November 11, 2019 at 7:53 pm

QBs, WRs, O-linemen — no one can hold onto the football tonight.

• djloo27 said, on November 11, 2019 at 8:06 pm

Add DBs to the list…

• Macdog said, on November 11, 2019 at 8:27 pm

And LBs.

• djloo27 said, on November 11, 2019 at 8:25 pm

Add LBs to the list…

29. alleykat69 said, on November 11, 2019 at 8:36 pm

But we found a Rook FG Kicker making 3 big kicks tonight go figure??

• zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 8:56 pm

30. alleykat69 said, on November 11, 2019 at 8:57 pm

And then he choked and turned into Cody Parkey😱🏈unbelievable!!

31. zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 9:11 pm

Tough loss. Hard-fought game; great effort.

32. zumiee said, on November 11, 2019 at 9:14 pm

I’ll give the Niners this: they’re relevant again after several years of not being.

33. alleykat69 said, on November 11, 2019 at 9:26 pm

Yeah I’m not to worried about the 49ers, sometimes the 1st loss takes some pressure off.Wilson is such a special QB that u knew with his arm and his legs he would get it done..27-15 lifetime Seattle has on the 49ers that’s the stat that pisses me off, they just have our number!!!

34. mrsprtdude said, on November 11, 2019 at 9:57 pm

I’m sure if Seattle lost they would have similar beef but spot on the last drive was horrible. Play calling bad. On last possession we should have run it once on 1st down. Our RB’s are good. get some yards and then go for broke. If stuffed run it again twice and settle for the tie. 3 and out killed us. I know it is hindsite but JG didn’t have it. Both defenses played great but JG vs wilson was a mismatch. Also…After getting just dominated the 1st 3 quarters maybe Staley wasn’t ready to be back. Put the guy who was part of the O line that lead NFL in rushing? It couldn’t have been any worse. Clowney beat Staley on almost every play..