Outrageous!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 16, 2020

I am just stunned and beyond sickened by this cheating scandal. At least in the steroid era the playing field was *even-ish*. So many players were doing it. But with this scandal seemingly contained to just the Houston cheaters I want to see something dramatic done by the commissioner. Manfred should take away their world series win. Just make it vacant. No winner that year. Letting them keep it when they have proven to have cheated so pervasively shouldn’t even be considered at this point.

Fuck Altuve, he should be suspended for a year for that video alone. He’s crossing home plate with that dumbass coy smile on his face holding his jersey tight to his neck. And how dumb do I feel for believing in this guy? Lol, some pint sized midget is out there winning MVP’s and I’m thinking the guy was some super human stud. Jeez.

He’s just a fake cheater. A damn wizard of Oz. Being disgraced publicly isn’t enough. The punishments better keep coming for these Astro bastards….

1. sfsarge said, on January 16, 2020 at 6:36 pm

I’m with you, they need to have that title vacated. I’m sure it’s probably deeper than we even know about. Manfred needs to come back and crush some skulls for this. The Altuve things is like a gut punch, i was really a fan. Which is weird, because I haven’t really been a fan of an individual player since maybe Timmeh. I guess it was too good to be true for the plucky little guy to come up and turn into a legit stud.

2. Flavor said, on January 16, 2020 at 6:40 pm

3. djloo27 said, on January 16, 2020 at 7:00 pm

4. zumiee said, on January 16, 2020 at 7:46 pm

This photo just popped up on the internets. Interesting.

5. Flavor said, on January 16, 2020 at 7:59 pm

here’s a man who wouldn’t use a fucking buzzer like that little pussy Altuve and his gang of cheaters.

6. alleykat69 said, on January 16, 2020 at 8:03 pm

Yeah I saw that earlier Zumie.
    Astro players are all cowards and the irony is they’re management, and fans are all arrogant that they did anything wrong!
    Altuve,Bregman&Reddick should lead this pack of thieves and march up to a mic and confess their buzzer mic, garbage can involvements.Sadly though they will be protected by the baseball collective bargaining agreement and that will never happen.
    Altuve’s 2017 MVP trophy award is tarnished forever, he might as well melt it down to a mini garbage can top for his mantle..

7. zumiee said, on January 16, 2020 at 8:20 pm

I’m 100% onboard with the Astros vacating that championship.

8. Macdog said, on January 16, 2020 at 8:27 pm

“And how dumb do I feel for believing in this guy?”

Same here, Flav. The day after the HR, I was at a lacrosse camp in Princeton and saw one of the players wearing an Altuve shirt. After saying something like “Yay Altuve,” I took a picture of him and texted it to some of my anti-Yanks buddies. This really is sickening.

9. zumiee said, on January 16, 2020 at 8:31 pm

There was no champion in 1904 and 1994. It’s not unheard of.

• Macdog said, on January 16, 2020 at 8:38 pm

I think the ’04 one is because McGraw refused to play in the Series for whatever reason.

• zumiee said, on January 16, 2020 at 8:44 pm

I think the reason was because he didn’t believe the World Series should be called the championship. He felt the NL winner was the champion. He didn’t respect the AL yet. The World Series had just started in ‘03.

10. zumiee said, on January 16, 2020 at 9:01 pm

Altuve runs off the field to take off the jersey after hitting the big HR and comes back out with a different shirt on.

11. djloo27 said, on January 16, 2020 at 9:04 pm

If the 2010 Giants had done this, I wouldn’t be proud of it, but I’d probably find a way to downplay and rationalize it…

12. zumiee said, on January 16, 2020 at 9:16 pm

The Astros are making bad memories right now.

13. zumiee said, on January 16, 2020 at 9:45 pm

ESPN’s Jessica Mendoza managed to step into it by calling Fiers a rat. Now she’s backtracking. I didn’t know she was also an advisor to the Mets. That seems like a conflict of interest.

14. zumiee said, on January 16, 2020 at 9:51 pm

I wonder how MLB could police for body-buzzers. Somebody could be watching from their living room and buzz a buzzer on the player.

15. alleykat69 said, on January 16, 2020 at 10:13 pm

Maybe Hasbro Milton Bradley should revise their 1965 board game Operation!
    It could include buzzers and bells in your choice of look alikes of Jose Altuve,Alex Bregman,Josh Riddick George Springer..

16. blade3colorado said, on January 17, 2020 at 5:05 am

I couldn’t agree more with Baggs . . . Huff is such a tool.

• blade3colorado said, on January 17, 2020 at 5:17 am

It goes without saying, I am also pleased with Kapler’s hiring of Alyssa Nakken, a MLB first.

• Bozo said, on January 17, 2020 at 7:45 am

Huff has a problem with a female coach but is OK with wearing women’s underwear? Got it.

• chipower9 said, on January 17, 2020 at 8:28 am

lulz…

• chipower9 said, on January 17, 2020 at 8:27 am

I am down with the hire. Appreciative of all Huff did to help us win in ’10, but fuck that prick.

17. Flavor said, on January 17, 2020 at 5:53 am

fraud.

18. Flavor said, on January 17, 2020 at 6:37 am

Wilco, as our resident Astro fan where do you stand on the latest chapter of this cheating scandal

• zumiee said, on January 17, 2020 at 6:56 am

I think of Wilco as being very knowledgeable about the Astros, but I never thought of him as an Astros fan, anymore than the rest of us. I was a fan of the Astros in the since that I liked them as a nice group of young players. But all my respect for them went out the window.

19. zumiee said, on January 17, 2020 at 6:57 am

“in the sense,” I meant.

20. zumiee said, on January 17, 2020 at 7:06 am

Huff is such a bigot. I can imagine what he thinks about the Martin Luther King holiday on Monday.

21. Bozo said, on January 17, 2020 at 7:43 am

As far as the Astros goes, if you want to punish the players you confiscate their rings. If a player doesn’t give up the ring ban him for a year. Those rings are what a lot of players play for.

I don’t like fining the Astros and having the fine go to MLB, I think MLB was aware of what was going on and shouldn’t benefit from it. If you want to punish the team (and MLB), lower Houston’s ticket prices. The fans are the ones that are really cheated by this, so let them benefit from the penalty.

I think Manfred should be removed as the Commish. He has basically said that stealing signs is part of the fabric of the game and it’s OK but not by using electronics. So you can cheat but you have to cheat the way he wants you to? His own rules of the pitch clock and shorter time in the batters box probably added to the Astros (and probably other teams) using electronics to speed up the sign relay. Not to mention that Manfred should have been fired the minute he suggested starting an extra inning game with a man on second. Plus the dude is an asshole whose every move chips away at the game, so take away his HOF pass and put him on the streets.

• blade3colorado said, on January 17, 2020 at 8:23 am

Excellent post John, especially about Manfred. He’s a POS snake oil salesman in my opinion.

• chipower9 said, on January 17, 2020 at 8:30 am

Great post. Manfred is an ass who wants to ruin the game we love. Fuck that asshole…but don’t mess with the horse on which he rode in…

22. Flavor said, on January 17, 2020 at 8:12 am

Wilco is definitely an Astros fan.

23. blade3colorado said, on January 17, 2020 at 8:21 am

I haven’t commented on the Astros scandal. For the record, I think everyone knows that stealing signs is not necessarily a violation of Major League Baseball’s (MLB) rulebook, i.e., it depends how the signs are stolen. Legal sign stealing typically involves the signs being observed by a runner on second base and then relayed to the batter through some sort of gesture. Mechanical or electronic means are a no no. A batter peeking in to see the catcher’s signs is considered a violation too.

I like what most of you have said about vacating the Astros and Red Sox World Series titles, as well as what John said above about taking away their WS rings. However, this is what I am wondering . . . If we had won the 2002 World Series – would you defend that title knowing that Barry Bonds took steroids? How about any team that had a steroid user(s) and won the World Series? In other words, where do you draw the line?

There’s an old baseball/sports proverb . . . “If you’re not cheating, you’re not trying.”

• chipower9 said, on January 17, 2020 at 8:32 am

Not sure it is a fair comparison, Steve. Every team had players (studs like Bonds and everyday players) who were juicing. It appears this incident (at this point anyway) was limited to just a few teams.

24. willedav said, on January 17, 2020 at 8:36 am

wow I read what Mendoza said and it didn’t make sense, calling out the whistleblower Fiers and then issuing “clarification.” She works for Mets so gotta wonder if this had something to do with Beltran. Either way she is way wrong, and like to know if Mets or ESPN have told her to stfu…or find another job…

mm roids it’s hard to say who was/wasn’t doing what. It happened and is likely still going on in some form regardless of who gets caught or doesn’t. I said before it’s gonna be hard to quantify who on Stros benefited off what pitchers and when, so taking rings away is tough one. And who else (other teams) do you look at and what can you prove was due to electronic monitoring and relaying of info (key word)?

• blade3colorado said, on January 17, 2020 at 8:41 am

Agree Willie about Mendoza. In fact, I commented on her Twitter feed, saying something along the lines of –

“Trump, ARod and you are all liars and hate whistleblowers.”

25. djloo27 said, on January 17, 2020 at 8:47 am

If I was a poor old Colt .45 fan who loyally stuck with the team for 55 years, I’d tune all this stuff out and keep basking…

• alleykat69 said, on January 17, 2020 at 9:36 am

Colt 45’sCF Jimmy “Toy Cannon” Wynn and 3B Bob Aspromonte I respect even more today.They would of taken those garbage can lids and rearrange faces with them..

26. Flavor said, on January 17, 2020 at 9:26 am

that’s why I want to hear from Wilco. He’s the only Astro fan I know. If the Giants had won the world series in 2002 and then we found out the whole team was on steroids would I admit we should give the trophy back? No, but I’d rationalize it that everyone was on steroids back then. If I was an Astro fan how would I feel? I’d like to think I’d be embarrassed and realize the win was bullshit. I’d like to *think* that.

• alleykat69 said, on January 17, 2020 at 9:41 am

Boston fans should feel the same shame.RedSox’s screwed the Dodgers too back in 2018.

• unca_chuck said, on January 17, 2020 at 11:25 am

They may have lost anyway, but you never know.

27. djloo27 said, on January 17, 2020 at 10:20 am

Rooster 🐓🐓🐓 should chime in on this…

28. unca_chuck said, on January 17, 2020 at 11:23 am

Testing for steroids started in 2003, so technically Bonds wasn’t cheating as he was never caught. And if you believe Ken Caminiti and Jose Canseco, the number was somewhere between 45-70% using. And the MLBPA was in step with the ownership and and the league in keeping this hidden from the public from 1991 to 2003.

This cheating, at least at the level of the Astros and Red Sox, is confined to 2 teams.

Sucks for the Dodgers, but I don’t see how you don’t crown them champions if you vacate the Red Sox and Astros series wins. The Dodgers (apparently) won the pennant without cheating, and should be named champs.

Disavowing the entire season leading up to the World Series is the wrong message.

29. zumiee said, on January 17, 2020 at 12:08 pm

“Wow scary thought the Bums should be back to back W/S champions and Rooster 🐔 would still be chirping about that..”

You’re making us feel better about the cheating, with that comment. 🙂 Ah, I’m sort of kidding.

• zumiee said, on January 17, 2020 at 12:10 pm

Well, totally kidding. I don’t like the cheating at all.

The ’89 Giants were defeated by a steroided A’s team.
      The ’02 Giants were steroided up against a steroided up Angels team. What a mess.

30. zumiee said, on January 17, 2020 at 12:12 pm

I had totally forgotten about the Cardinals guy and the Braves guy who were both banned from MLB baseball for LIFE for various cheating acts.

31. zumiee said, on January 17, 2020 at 12:13 pm

Now that I think about it. A one-year suspension from MLB for the Astros guys was way too soft a penalty. Although, I don’t think any team will be hiring either of them in the next few years. I could be wrong on that.

32. Flavor said, on January 17, 2020 at 12:25 pm

this is hilarious….

33. wilcojoe said, on January 17, 2020 at 12:26 pm

I started to like the Astros once they moved to the AL and were no longer intra-league competitors with the Giants. This coincided with my now 11 year old son Jack taking an interest in the game. He has and always will be a Giants fan, because of his dad, but he is a huge Astros fan as well. He has all sorts of Astros apparel and we would go to 3 or 4 Astros games a year, including Game 6 of the 2017 ALCS.

Now that we are living in Waco, we are much closer to DFW than Houston, so hopefully we can both go back to only focusing on the Giants. I don’t ever see myself supporting any team from Dallas.

I told him a long time ago, to care more about the name on the front of the uniform and less about what’s on the back and to never get too emotionally attached to any one player or else they will break your heart (like when The Thrill left for Texas). So he has taken a lot of this in stride. In addition, he knows that I supported Bonds, so I think he gets the world that we live in isn’t all sunshine and rainbows.

My take on the Astros is this. I think Astros fans should be huddled together in anger over what has transpired. Season Ticket holders especially should be considering a class action lawsuit against Jim Crane. Instead of showing anger, everyone seems to have their head in the sand and trying to rationalize why they will continue to support the club, The Astros were likely on the front end of the cheating scandal, so I am not so certain that similar scandals will present themselves across the league. If it’s found that Altuve was indeed wearing a wire, well then maybe that’s the one thing that gets fans to take a stand and say enough is enough.

34. Bozo said, on January 17, 2020 at 2:22 pm

So on Alex Pavlovic’s mailbag Q & A, wolfmanjack asks “What systems are the Giants using to cheat and why isn’t it successful?”. Gotta love dem Giants fans.

If y’all feel like reading the rest of the mailbag.

• blade3colorado said, on January 17, 2020 at 2:44 pm

Pavlovic is spot on . . . Just about everything he wrote in that blog piece I agree with. Especially about his projection of the Giants win loss record. Last season I predicted 75 wins and they beat my prediction by two more wins. I will go again with 75 wins and mostly for the reasons that Alex cited. Specifically, I agree that there’s no way they’re going 13-3 in extra innings again or 38-16 in one-run games. Additionally, the win total will drop just by regression in those two areas, and him citing the roster losses of Bumgarner, Pillar, Vogt and others.

However, he also makes a good point about Kapler not tolerating struggling veterans (looking at you Posey, Crawford, Longo, and Belt). Consequently, the Giants are going to use more platoons and openers and other methods to try to find small edges. As Alex said, “Throw it all together and right now I’d probably put them around 75 wins.”

Thanks for sharing John.

35. gianthead said, on January 17, 2020 at 2:24 pm

Smyly the perfect Giants signing…resurrects his career and maybe we cna flip him…

36. unca_chuck said, on January 17, 2020 at 2:54 pm

Pomeranz/Dyson/and (to a lesser extent (but Farhan got Atl to foot the remainder) Melonhead redux. Which is why Pillar could be flipped as well.

• alleykat69 said, on January 17, 2020 at 3:04 pm

I don’t know, I think the only thing the Giants have done all off-season is flip the Bird on all the fans..

37. alleykat69 said, on January 17, 2020 at 3:00 pm

I’m going 68 wins tops and that’s even using the light bulb twisted cord technique in Stalag 17💡in the dugout/clubhouse for their signals to are incompetent hitters..

38. blade3colorado said, on January 17, 2020 at 5:45 pm

Zumiee alluded to the A’s cheating. More evidence? How about this –

I would love to see La Russa kicked out of MLB.

• willedav said, on January 17, 2020 at 6:16 pm

yeah saw that one too, great story and good for JMac.

39. willedav said, on January 17, 2020 at 6:15 pm

Passan on ESPN has quite interesting column I read on phone today. Among other things, the Reddick buzzer is not real it’s confetti. Correa did have his shirt ripped open and torn off him, and the Beltran family denies there is any such “niece” who posted the Altuve stuff. so hmmn

I did see another piece on ESPN about internet guy jomboy I think who was retweeting individual Houston ABs where you can hear a bang or no bang (depending on pitch selection) and then see the result…so what I said earlier about quantitative proof, it does seem to exist. Plus there was another one of alleged “replay” video booth set up in clubhouse that in fact was no such thing and being relayed to the dugout. so again hmmnn

40. Flavor said, on January 17, 2020 at 6:57 pm

Jake McDowell crying about shit from the 80’s? Come on. I think the only way to fix any of this is to just have the pitcher and the catcher communicate electronically. Why not?
    Wilco thanks for you take, it’s good to hear from you about this.

• blade3colorado said, on January 17, 2020 at 7:27 pm

I don’t see it that way at all. He’s not “crying” about anything. Just stating that certain people like La Russa are like Teflon or as he put it:

“I’m gonna whistle-blow this now because I’m getting tired of this crap. There was that — Tony La Russa is the one who put it in. … He’s still in the game making half a million, you know? No one is going to go after that. It’s just, this stuff is getting old where they target certain guys and let other people off the hook.”

• Flavor said, on January 17, 2020 at 7:58 pm

he waited 35 years to tell his story? Lame. Sack up and talk sooner if it bothered you so much. And McDowell is a good Stanford man but that’s not good enough for me when I think you’re FOS (and whether he’s telling the truth or not, the timing of this is not a good look for him).

• djloo27 said, on January 17, 2020 at 8:42 pm

41. willedav said, on January 17, 2020 at 7:18 pm

Best line from McDowell was the one about having the C signal for curve and then throwing one at batters neck.
    You would think this approach would have happened more often. After a few guys spin out in the dirt, other hitters would get the message and stop taking any reliance on stuff.
    Pitching inside used to be real part of the game, to set up pitching away or not to allow a guy to extend his arms and whack away. when this happened to reggie late in his career and he couldn’t get around on inside stuff he intentionally set up in the box little farther away from plate.

42. snarkk said, on January 17, 2020 at 8:03 pm

How do we know the Astros and RSox were the only teams using the bang-the-can and buzzer approach? I don’t hear a herd of, if any, players from other teams jumping up and down at hearing about these cheats. Why? Because they are or were on teams doing similar things? Cora came from the Doghairs, right? Maybe some of the teams used some other electronic means? Cora played for a lot of teams before going into management. I do not believe those two squads were/are the only ones not stealing signs the old fashioned way…

• djloo27 said, on January 17, 2020 at 8:23 pm

You’re 100% correct, Snarkie-doodle!

43. djloo27 said, on January 17, 2020 at 8:36 pm

Who’s visiting NY this year?
    I’m in the process of joining a Puerto Rican gang and hope to be a full-fledged member by the summer.
    Gonna be awesome!

44. djloo27 said, on January 17, 2020 at 8:40 pm

They should’ve ended late night talk shows when Carson retired.
    Everyone since is a lame POS…

45. alleykat69 said, on January 17, 2020 at 9:07 pm

Question?
    C. Can
    H. Houston
    E. Ever
    A. Attain
    T. Title
    Only if the CHEAT!!!!

• djloo27 said, on January 17, 2020 at 9:11 pm

It’s American as cherry pie, Kat. (H. Rap Brown)
      What’s the difference?

46. blade3colorado said, on January 18, 2020 at 6:20 am

Anyone watching the Cerrone McGregor fight tonight? If you need a link, let ne know.