Envelope Mystery

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 3, 2020

This morning I opened an envelope containing these:

Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 5.20.45 AM

Bay area sports cards from the 80’s and 90’s. There was no note. The return address was “Flap Nation”. It went through the post office in Dallas, Texas and while it would be easy to guess this is from WilcoJoe, I dunno, this doesn’t really seem like his jam. Looking at the google stats we get several hits a day from different parts of Texas so I guess that narrows it down to those dudes.

Regardless, thanks! I don’t collect baseball cards anymore but I love looking them over. There’s even a Warriors Kevin Upshaw in there. That is going the deepest under the radar old school…..

1. willedav said, on March 3, 2020 at 8:03 am

wow cool stuff. thx to Pawlie for the Antonelli card. ’59 was when I started getting into baseball, and LA won WS I do remember watching. Giants OF factory just starting to get rolling, still in Seals…Cepeda Mays Mac’s rookie year, plus Willie Kirkland in RF and the young Felipe Alou.

Check out the B/R page for that year, great stuff. 83-71, 50 + complete games 4 man rotation all with 220 innings +. Antonelli won 19 with 3.10 ERA. Stu Miller started 9 times threw 167 innings.
    Mays my god—34 HRs 104 rbis 43 doubles .313 with .964 OPS 27 SBs/4. CS, Struck out 58 times in 649 PAs.

• Winder said, on March 3, 2020 at 8:25 am

I also got interested in 59. Just looked up their roster for that year and what a fantastic group of players and coaches we had. I only remember Miller being a reliever.

2. unca_chuck said, on March 3, 2020 at 8:09 am

Mike Benjamin’s card is odd to say the least. That Clark card is awesome. That swing.

• Flavor said, on March 3, 2020 at 8:16 am

The bengy card is awesome. It’s a pic of him fixing dugout netting or some shit. Classic.

• unca_chuck said, on March 3, 2020 at 8:38 am

Like he;s fishing a ball from the netting above the dugout or some shit.

3. willedav said, on March 3, 2020 at 8:13 am

check out these numbers from Cepeda, at age 21 in 1959.
    27 HRs 105 team leading rbis 35 doubles and 23 SBs.
    .317/.355/.522 for .878 OPS from B/R
    Really sad Giants couldn’t keep him and Mac together, nor that couldn’t ever win the big one with all that talent. Once they got to Stick family started going to Sunday day games. Seat I liked best was upper deck, in first 2-3 rows, just to left of the plate. Fun times. First game I ever saw Mays gunned down and philly player at plate to preserve 2-1 W, for Sam Jones I think.

• alleykat69 said, on March 3, 2020 at 9:02 am

Yeah the whole Cepeda/McCovey fiasco was frustrating Willied.When Mac first came up before the knees were shot he could run good and they had him playing LF. Wondering if Cepeda wanted to play 1B more and had the seniority over the rook.But in any case with McCovey’s size it should of been a no brainer that’s he was a natural 1B.Just think they could of worked it out better though..

4. alleykat69 said, on March 3, 2020 at 8:48 am

That’s a end of the line baseball card for Hackman Leonard finishing up with Seattle. Didn’t know he started his career with the Dodgers, got 11AB’s then traded to Houston where he ended up 2nd in ROY in 79..

5. chipower9 said, on March 3, 2020 at 8:56 am

Very cool Does not seem to fit Wilco, but regardless of who, they spend time hear given the return address of Flap Nation. Love the Will Clark card. Dude had one beautiful swing.

6. alleykat69 said, on March 3, 2020 at 9:08 am

Is that baseball card on bottom right a picture of pitcher Steve Bedrosian?

7. willedav said, on March 3, 2020 at 10:53 am

Marciulonis in the middle? Man what a beast going to the hoop.
    anyone see that Trae Young/Trevor Ariza dustup? Young had ball on fast break down right side of floor and tried to dribble btw Ariza’s legs, pushing ball ahead with left hand while going around him to right. Ariza wasn’t having any of it, stood straight up and gave him forearm right in the chest. Got a flagrant and told him later not to try that again.

8. sandog said, on March 3, 2020 at 11:56 am

My initial thought was that the package came from Stix, but that doesn’t really make sense.  I thought the printing kinda looked like his, but it also doesn’t have the cool drawings incorporated into the script that he is known for.

Funny those early Giants teams came up.  I had this idea the other day that I would start collecting vintage Sports Illustrated covers.  We’ve touched on this topic before, and that Norm Bulaich cover got me going on this idea again.  I’ve bought 2 recently on ebay.  One is Reggie Jackson with “Superduperstar” written on the front from 1974, that I clearly remember from my childhood and the other one is from 1960 with the Stick on the cover.  It is the pre-enclosed Stick before my time, but the one Willie is alluding to.  It is a cool shot where I can even roughly find the neighborhood in the Portola where my grandparents lived.I read the article that went along with it last night about how the Giants were struggling.  It was a bit of a downer with Rigney getting fired and Willie Mac having a sophomore slump.  Thank goodness we got those 3 rings.  It still bums me out that those great teams in the 60’s never won it all, but the pain is much less severe since 3 in 5.I still sometimes have to pinch myself and fully grasp that we won 3 freaking titles in 5 years.  Unreal.

• gianthead said, on March 3, 2020 at 12:12 pm

Dog, you have probably heard my story of having an SI cover with May’s and had him sign it in ’92…framed in my home office but I should bring that bod boy along with my 3 WS Champ covers and the Bum as Sportsman of the year…

• djloo27 said, on March 3, 2020 at 12:16 pm

Somewhere I have a very brown crumbling back page of the NY Daily News with this incredibly blunt headline:
      Chiefs 23 Vikings 7

• djloo27 said, on March 3, 2020 at 3:54 pm

Somewhere, I have this one in a frame. If I find it, it’s yours…

• djloo27 said, on March 3, 2020 at 3:58 pm

And I will definitely find it, Dawg…

9. gianthead said, on March 3, 2020 at 12:06 pm

I like that Hacman Card!! But I don’t remember him in Seattle…

• unca_chuck said, on March 3, 2020 at 1:49 pm

One of the few A’s games I’ve ever been to was to see Hacman play for the Mariners. Also to see Ted Williams managing the Senators.

10. willedav said, on March 3, 2020 at 1:15 pm

soph jinx slump was a thing that seemed to happen to really good players. Just read column on F/G talking about Mets and their odd alignment for OF. Gist was they really don’t have a legit CF, their good hitters are out of position and how few good CF do exist. Mets OF is ranked 11th overall ML and worse than most of the contenders. Giants are way down near bottom of the list, with Mariners and Tigers.

Yesterday Giants played Rickard and Slater out there. Z Green did homer though and split time at 3b with Wong. Apparently Giants putting old guys at top of lineup but only every other day.
    Sure hope Yaz does not suffer from that malady or that ranking will probably come true.

• djloo27 said, on March 3, 2020 at 4:06 pm

Carew had one.
      McCovey sure did…

11. zumiee said, on March 3, 2020 at 2:38 pm

The Mariners home opener is scheduled for March 26th. I don’t think the average healthy adult is super worried about the coronavirus, but is concerned about unknowingly bringing the virus into contact with their elderly parents. A person is carrying the virus for a while before any symptoms show.
    There are some very concerned Mariner front office folks these days.
    And I’m sure all across sports.
    The NBA commissioner has asked the NBA players to stop signing autographs and high-fiving fans for a while.

12. wilcojoe said, on March 3, 2020 at 2:56 pm

Wasn’t me, though I certainly recognize most of those cards, as that was the prime of my card collecting days as a kid….Is that Sauranas Marcelloneous (sp?)with the glare covering his name?

13. Winder said, on March 3, 2020 at 2:59 pm

For us older people with some existing medial conditions the virus is rather concerning. I am not ready for Darwinism just yet. The closest confirmed case to where I live is about 70-75 miles away. Went to Costco this morning and more than twice as many people were lined up waiting to get in. They were buying up too.

Right now it’s hard to say just how bad it will hit Giants attendance but pretty sure it’s gonna be bad.

• zumiee said, on March 3, 2020 at 3:02 pm

And also, of course, very concerning to people with low immune systems, such as people getting certain medical treatments.

• zumiee said, on March 3, 2020 at 3:04 pm

Cancer treatments can lower a person’s immune system, so that is quite a few people out there.

• Winder said, on March 3, 2020 at 4:15 pm

i quit collecting baseball cards when i got divorced. You can probably guess who got most of em. But in ’63 my favorite card was the Rose rookie, since there were 3 heads on it i decided to use those for BB gun practice.

• zumiee said, on March 3, 2020 at 4:24 pm

I still have a baseball autographed by Pete Rose. I lost the autograph I got from Johnny Bench. It was so much easier to get autographs in the old days. I haven’t sought baseball autographs in a long time. I did get Jack Clark’s on a baseball, but the ink on that one has faded quite a bit. I got Clark’s autograph when he was a hitting coach for a Single A team for a while. He was the Dodgers’ hitting coach for a few years, but like a lot of hitting coaches, got replaced at some point.

• Winder said, on March 3, 2020 at 7:07 pm

Yeah, I still have some cards and the Mays signed ball i got in the 60’s. But I have lost a lot of stuff too. Like my cousin gave me his 1955 49ers field pass. Don’t know what happened to it. His name was Art Michalik. He wasn’t my cousin but he married my cousin. Anyway i really liked that one.

14. zumiee said, on March 3, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Beede out with soreness in his pitching elbow.

15. zumiee said, on March 3, 2020 at 4:21 pm

All of the baseball cards I had as a kid have disappeared over the years. Thrown out, or given away, or who knows. I still have some basketball cards I had as a kid. They don’t hold a lot of emotion for me, though.

16. Macdog said, on March 3, 2020 at 4:25 pm

Wilmer 3-run bomb today.

• djloo27 said, on March 3, 2020 at 5:17 pm

• alleykat69 said, on March 3, 2020 at 5:51 pm

Wilmer Flores walk up music :Journey Who’s Crying Now..

17. sandog said, on March 3, 2020 at 5:34 pm

@Loo–I would proudly display that Mays SI cover if you tracked it down.

I used the paper cutter (you know the one every school has with the blade on the swinging metal handle) at my school to fit the Reggie one for framing. I’m not the greatest at fine detail work like that and I got a little over-aggressive on the cutting, but it turned out ok. I’ll be more careful with the Candlestick one.

“Next time, be more careful!!!”

18. alleykat69 said, on March 3, 2020 at 5:46 pm

Shaun Anderson is doing his best job of not making the team right now.ERA up to 30.38 after getting shelled again today..

19. Flavor said, on March 3, 2020 at 6:16 pm

Brady to Niners rumors intensifying….Just sayin’

20. unca_chuck said, on March 3, 2020 at 7:00 pm

That would be the dumbest thing they ever did. Raiders? Sure. Bucs? Sure. Niners? Why?

Reports now are Garoppolo goes to NE for Brady.

That is the stupidest thing Jed could ever conceive of. In a litany of terrible decisions he’s made, this would top them all. Jimmy Fartsalot, Trent Baalke, Chip Kelly, on and on.

Surely they can’t be serious.

• Flavor said, on March 3, 2020 at 7:04 pm

it’s a win now league, my man. If they think Brady has one more run in him I bet they do it.

• unca_chuck said, on March 3, 2020 at 9:16 pm

Win now? That would set the team back 5 years. Lynch can’t be that stupid.

21. unca_chuck said, on March 3, 2020 at 7:06 pm

22. djloo27 said, on March 3, 2020 at 7:12 pm

I’m sure Brady’s got more left than washed up Manning did when he won it all with Broncos.
    Maybe they think their premature posing D is good enough to carry them like those Broncos were…

• unca_chuck said, on March 3, 2020 at 9:33 pm

That don’t matter. Denver had shit for QBs for the previous 8 years thanks to horse-face. They weren’t mortgaging their future by getting Manning. The Niners would be throwing away the next 3-5 seasons making this move.

23. Winder said, on March 3, 2020 at 7:12 pm

I don’t want to go back to hating Jed again but if they do that I will. I won’t think Lynch is all that either.

24. djloo27 said, on March 3, 2020 at 7:35 pm

They better find at least 375 ABs for my man Wilmer…

25. willedav said, on March 3, 2020 at 7:42 pm

nice win for Rutgers. A road one and they should be in. Texas is looking for road W vs. Okla,, in tough low scoring game.. Last Lunardi bracket I saw had Rutgers and Horns in, plus 7 Pac 12 teams. Exciting week coming up then league tourneys.

Hey Original Six team in town to playSharks, Toronto. Tough season for lot of them–Red Wings are awful, Blackhawks are too and Canadiens were sellers at deadline…as were Sharks yuck.

26. alleykat69 said, on March 3, 2020 at 7:47 pm

This would be like Joe Namath finishing up with the Rams are Johnny Unitas with the Chargers.
    You can’t be serious about handing over the reins to a 43 year old QB, one hit away from retirement and be stuck with Mullens are Beater again?Brady’s skills are diminishing just off of last years stats alone, they’re will be no more glory for him.
    49ers would be fools to make a deal like this happen..

27. djloo27 said, on March 3, 2020 at 7:56 pm

It’s a referendum on Garoppolo as much as anything…

28. Winder said, on March 3, 2020 at 8:44 pm

I just went to the NE website and I couldn’t fine anything about brady and the Niners. I guess this just happened today. I still don’t believe it. Jimmy is the spark behind teams attitude and drive.

29. mrsprtdude said, on March 3, 2020 at 10:21 pm

Brady is a free agent. Jimmy under contract. I love TB12. best QB ever imo. Niners sign him I’m gonna be seriously PISSED! Jimmy had maybe one bad drive, under duress. We lost because our lame coach out coached myself and let mostert sit on the bench for a quarter and a half, and went away from our strength while trying to be a genius.