Miss This Place

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 11, 2020

Woke up to this tweet this morning. Very cool shot. My first game ever, the Ed Halicki no no, I was sitting in the shade around “10 o’clock” but my view was not obstructed.

1. Bozo said, on November 11, 2020 at 6:22 am

Man, some fun memories from that joint, both Giants and 9ers. I always thought the obstructed seats should have been given away to the blind. Especially that whole section that was blocked for 9er games.

2. willedav said, on November 11, 2020 at 6:54 am

Under overhang was cool place to sit, especially for rare day games when it was hot. Godson and I were at sparsely attended Pirates game in 90s with lower seats and then moved back under. Bonds homered for SF in first but Pirates wiped Giants out that day.

3. willedav said, on November 11, 2020 at 7:16 am

If he hasn’t already, today is deadline for Gausman to take the QO or not.

4. denniszu said, on November 11, 2020 at 7:39 am

My friend Bob played college ball with Ed. Stayed friends and when Bob got married, and honeymooned in SF, Ed gave him tickets for a few games….but as honeymoons go he missed the game Ed pitched .. ..his no..no!

• Flavor said, on November 11, 2020 at 7:43 am

great story. I guess I was the stand in for Bob that day.

• denniszu said, on November 11, 2020 at 7:47 am

Yes you were…And to this day Bob is gracefully freakin upset he missed it.

5. alleykat69 said, on November 11, 2020 at 7:46 am

Pretty damm special to have your 1st big league game be a no hitter Flavor, hard to top that start..

U know Zman might have turned the dirt enough as the worms rise to the surface as he unearths a Jason Voler prospect for the exact need he’s been looking for, a left handed power bat( 3 straight years in the minors with 20 plus bombs) that plays 3B with defense to boot! Can spell Longo and actually platoon as he rakes righty’s and Longo takes lefties! It’s almost to good to be true( time will tell with him, I’m keeping my fingers crossed 🤞)at 27 years old no less! Still it’s alittle interesting he hasn’t been to the show yet, but Padres were super deep on the infield so there was no room for him.

He’s already added to the 40 man roster that sits at 38 spots right now so they must assume he will start with the big club, I’m getting excited some, hope they keep it up on youths with upside to fill out they’re roster..

6. willedav said, on November 11, 2020 at 8:40 am

Stroman took Mets QO…interesting that he has same agent as Gausman, maybe only other one of FAs willing to accept. LeMahieu said no to QO from Yanks.

7. willedav said, on November 11, 2020 at 10:04 am

MLBTR says according to story in Athletic, Gausman has rec’d few multi year offers, including from giants.
    He of course can either accept or reject offer and sign whatever deal. hmmnn

Anyone who subscribes to Athletic see this?

8. unca_chuck said, on November 11, 2020 at 11:21 am

I was sitting right near that location for the Dave Dravecky comeback game. The crowd was unreal that day. They were cheering so loud every pitch.

• Flavor said, on November 11, 2020 at 12:13 pm

was at that game too. Sitting in the bleachers. Agree on the crowd being unreal. SI did a cover with the crowd from that day and you can pretty clearly make out me and my buddy Jason in the crowd.

9. Flavor said, on November 11, 2020 at 12:15 pm

now i can’t remember if it was SI or not. I think it was. This was the pic, I’m in the back standing up clapping just below the A and right next to the V. Jason is sitting down to my right with his shirt off.

• Winder said, on November 11, 2020 at 2:15 pm

Nice. Candlestick without a doubt will always be my favorite ballpark. My favorite spot was right behind the 1st base dugout. A great place to watch a ballgame. One time when me and my wife were there a guy right next to me started heckling the 1st base ump Dutch Rennart(sp) over a really close call. I have heard lots of hecklers but this guy was good. After a couple of innings Dutch got pissed he kept turning around to see who was doing it and finally started to walk over got about halfway and made a funny face and walked back to first. i always wondered if Dutch was gonna try and throw the guy out of the park.

10. mrsprtdude said, on November 11, 2020 at 1:11 pm

Cool Pic Craig! Candlestick during the day was pretty cool. I was at the Morgan game and the Brian Johnson game. My fav memory of the Stick was one of my 1st games without my parents. No clue who was pitching and even if we won to be honest. What made it cool was my friend and I both juming fom the bleaches to get a homerun. neither got it, but it was cool. Long drop. Not for the faint of heart.

11. mrsprtdude said, on November 11, 2020 at 1:25 pm

My wife surprised me by flying us home for a weekend. We landed and went straight to a game. Her family and mine meet us at the Stick for the game. Had Happy 30th Birthday Mike! on the scoreboard. I’d post a pic if wordpress let me copy and paste, which it seems it will not:(
    #coolestwifeever!

12. Macdog said, on November 11, 2020 at 2:02 pm

• djloo27 said, on November 11, 2020 at 2:15 pm

I would definitely look into Tanaka now as well…

• Winder said, on November 11, 2020 at 2:21 pm

That really says quite a bit. From the manager on down he much think well of our direction. That is of course his wife likes the bay area and doesn’t want to move.

13. mrsprtdude said, on November 11, 2020 at 2:07 pm

Cool!!

14. djloo27 said, on November 11, 2020 at 2:14 pm

I think there’s a pretty decent chance that Crawford and maybe even Belt will be NY Yankees by the 2021 trade deadline…

15. Macdog said, on November 11, 2020 at 2:19 pm

Baggs and Pavs both point out a multi-year deal for Gausman is still a possibility.

• willedav said, on November 11, 2020 at 3:31 pm

yeah that sounds right–say 3 yrs/$40 mil ish. Gives him the security and the $$$.

16. djloo27 said, on November 11, 2020 at 2:52 pm

This gets you $18.9 million?

• unca_chuck said, on November 11, 2020 at 3:00 pm

And it’s a make-good deal. It ain’t 5/$100 mill so I’m good.

17. alleykat69 said, on November 11, 2020 at 3:05 pm

I think the Giants make a run at Marcus Seimen to split time with Crawford and he can play some 2B as well. They have 30 mil coming off the books between Shark and Cozart ( remember him?) it’s one way of keeping Craw fresh while utilizing both bats in à lefty/righty scenario like they will do with Longo&Voler..just a guess on by me but a nice fit..

18. mrsprtdude said, on November 11, 2020 at 3:08 pm

From the Athletic about Bauer….

Here’s something he wrote in February:

I’ve been chasing spin rate since 2012. For eight years I’ve been trying to figure out how to increase the spin on my fastball because I’d identified it way back then as such a massive advantage. I knew that if I could learn to increase it through training and technique, it would be huge. But eight years later, I haven’t found any other way except using foreign substances.

His spin rate on his fastball in 2019 was 2,412, which ranked 123rd in baseball. His spin rate in 2020 was 2,776, which ranked first in baseball. All I’ve done is quote the man and cite two statistics. Draw your own conclusions. Here are some colored pencils and a sketchbook. Take your time.

Ok maybe not on signing him:)

19. Flavor said, on November 11, 2020 at 4:32 pm

LOL this HAS to be true

• djloo27 said, on November 11, 2020 at 6:54 pm

Fergie also had 28 hits, 7 doubles, 6 HRs, and 20 RBIs in his CY ’71 year.
      Timmy never did get that 1st homer…

• Flavor said, on November 11, 2020 at 7:16 pm

I’m ok with that.

• Macdog said, on November 11, 2020 at 8:29 pm

Rick Wise also hit 6 HRs in ’71, including his famous 2 HR no-hitter game.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 11, 2020 at 8:49 pm

I remember watching that Rick Wise no-hitter. Didn’t remember his 2 HRs….

• Macdog said, on November 11, 2020 at 9:29 pm

I guess it’s not that famous?

20. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on November 11, 2020 at 7:54 pm

There were some pretty good hitting pitchers back in the day. Probably easy to find stats on who were the best, but I’m trying to remember off the top of my head. Jim Kaat? I seem to remember him being pretty good. That was a pretty good year for Fergie as Loo noted. MadBum was fun to watch hit HRs but other than big bops, don’t remember him as a good overall hitter. Hmm, Santiago Casillo was pretty funny even though that one at bat resulted in injury….

21. alleykat69 said, on November 11, 2020 at 8:53 pm

I’m kinda partial to what Pitcher Tony Coliinger (sp) did to the Giants in July of 1966 at Candlestick!
    Only pitcher to ever hit 2 Grandslams in one game in back to back AB’s and ending up driving in 9 runs!